Board index » Phoenix Wright » Neo Olde Tokyo

Page 1 of 1[ 40 posts ]

Episode 14: "Reunion, and Turnabout - 1st Trial"Topic%20Title

元・超会社員級の管理人

This is a general discussion topic for episode 14, Reunion, and Turnabout - 1st Trial!

The episode is due to air in a few hours, but it should feature a new OP as the anime moves into Justice for All territory.
Hi! I've largely stepped back from C-R due to life stuff. Please contact one of the other staff members for help!

Wooster wrote:
If there was such a thing as the "Wooster Seal of Approval", this post would get it.
Re: Episode 14: "Reunion, and Turnabout - 1st Trial"Topic%20Title

It was good. The animation was terrible as usual, but that aside I think it was a good start to the second game. I have no hopes of it maintaining this standard though, based on the series track record so far.

New OP was great though, very goofy but I found it incredibly endearing, also much better made than the first OP overall.

New ED though was nowhere near as good as the first, which was disappointing, but oh well.

7/10

What's between the bread?

I think I've realized one thing that bugs me about the animation: the lack of touches to the eyes. Seeing all the classic pose references was good, Pearl's blushing hands on cheeks especially (I freaking loved Pearl's introduction), but they don't seem to do anything with the eyes. Pearl without the shimmer in her eyes when she clutches her cheeks lacks something, I think, which is a shame as I adored the characterization in this episode. More people at Kurain was also a nice addition, since of course one major advantage the animation does have is being able to show more. Stuff like Gumshoe walking by and being all ashamed, Lotta and Phoenix's antics, and just stuff like the ride on the train really make me a bit more forgiving of the generally lackluster animation.

Love the new ending and the new opening, except for the badger mascot thing. Pearl jamming along with two cute puppies and a parrot though was a lot more enjoyable than the weird Maya sunflower stuff, at least in my book (given the above comment I may be alone in that sentiment). More stuff happening in the intro, including way more character appearances, is fantastic.

So any idea what the episode breakdown is going to be like? I'm figuring Episodes 14 - 16 for Case 2-2, then maybe just Episode 17 for Case 2-1, and then 18-20 for 2-3 and the last four episodes for 2-4. Last I checked it's still only 24 episodes (really want a half-season or something to at least address the third game though).

Programmer

The pacing seems okay so far. But I am disappointed that they didn't get the key right. There is supposed to be a green gemstone at the end of it.
Currently working on a redesign of cr.net itself! Come talk to me about it on Discord!

The Law 'Shark'

Eh, I'm happy enough with it - I'm used to the janky animation and the occasional derp...sure it's not the best it COULD be, but I'm enjoying whats there well enough.
~Beware of the Shark - He'll bite!~

Sebastian Stark wrote:
Eh, I'm happy enough with it - I'm used to the janky animation and the occasional derp...sure it's not the best it COULD be, but I'm enjoying whats there well enough.

Pretty much the show in a nutshell. Well, that and it does add some good bits though it also kinda hurt some key game moments.

So I was extremely pleased with both the new OP and ED. The ED was adorable (save for our loveable mascot *shudder*) and the OP just had SO MUCH IN IT. Which was just great. Reminded me of my least favorite case ever but hey, I knew it was going to happen and at least I'll just be watching and I don't have to play through it again.

Animation still janky, blah blah, we all know that. But as far as pacing goes: so far so good. They probably won't keep it up, especially as we get to court sequences, but it is what it is. Morgan is super shady and they made Dr. Turner way creepy. I can't recall if we knew in the game that he took a gun into the room. Ini Miney speech pattern drives me nuts when I'm playing this case (I know I'm reading it and not hearing it but good gosh) but so far I feel a little less irritated when we're seeing her.

Unrelated to this episode: I'm starting to think that the courtroom sequences just don't translate well from game to animation.

The Law 'Shark'

I like the courtroom sequences decently enough, so that might just be one of those things that'll depend on your own tolerances and such.

Atuyhan Ihdamdhas

0/10 No Psyche-Locks.
POHLKUNKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

The miracle finally happen...

Unless I missed something, why were the two attendants that went in with Maya not even questioned or suspected? New OP is pretty good I have to admit.

The Law 'Shark'

They just literally disappeared - no other real mention of them save near the end either...rather poor continuity error there, really.

Programmer

They never think their changes through, always causing trouble like this. And it would've been such an easy thing to fix in this case!
Currently working on a redesign of cr.net itself! Come talk to me about it on Discord!

Zekrom025 wrote:
Unless I missed something, why were the two attendants that went in with Maya not even questioned or suspected? New OP is pretty good I have to admit.

Because they didn't enter the room, you can see them closing the door from the outside.

The miracle finally happen...

Lusankya wrote:
Because they didn't enter the room, you can see them closing the door from the outside.

Looks like you were right, the angle made it seem like they were closing the door inside, my bad

Enoshima Junko-chan!

I loved Pearl's introduction. I think the faces from a distance got worse - at one point Gumshoe, Phoenix, and Lotta have no pupils.

The Magatama being absent makes me wonder how it will be introduced later. In the game, it was used not only to question Ini, but to get Pearl to warm up to Phoenix. I guess it was cut out due to time constraints; the episode itself was stretched thin compared to the game. For example, Phoenix never met Mia in the detention center, which Franziska used to her advantage in the trial.

I like the new intro, especially the circus section with Acro.

When no other bird dares to take wing.

I'm sure they'll introduce the magatama. It's critical to the "Farewell, My Turnabout" case

I'm fairly confident the magatama will show up since they've done a fairly good job bringing in as many game elements as possible (for good and for bad). I'm more curious if they'll do the layered locks or not. I mean they could probably do multiple locks without too much difficulty in theory, but in execution for pacing and such they might only have it be like one lock or do something where the exact number isn't so crucial exactly.

Racing through the sky like a Missile

I believe Takumi has hinted on his twitter that 2-1, The Lost Turnabout, is going to be skipped completely. There will be no need for Giant Dark Udgey with Gavel of Doom, since it's already in the opening.

Speaking of which, it's such an incredible contrast between the first and second openings. The first one was very lacking in a lot of aspects. The second one gives so much more life and personality to the characters, as well as introduce these new characters. But maybe it's more of an allegory to the silliness of JFA as opposed to the general themes of AA1. Perhaps this game will more largely be able to translate Turnabout Big Top to what it's meant to be... or maybe the investigations of that case will never be saved from boredom.

This may or may not be because of the crappy art, but I am especially disappointed Phoenix was not boiled into a red lobster. In fact, the only characters so far to actually blush are Maya and Edgeworth. Why is this team so conservative with expressions? This is Ace Attorney. They're all about the over-the-top expressions and reactions and hamming things up.

Well, I suppose next ep is going to take the rushed route again and squeeze a short trial segment with a second investigation. I'm curious to see how they change, though.

And last but not least, introduction of Pearl Spec Ops. That is all.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

¡Protesto!

This, only this...

http://imgur.com/NdQ2TTf

:acro:

A Kirby and AA fan

I... didn't know there were gonna be a new OP and ED, so imagine my surprise when new music started playing! And wow, that OP sure does leave an impression. I like the music a bit less, but the animation and theme in the OP is so much better for reasons other people have already mentioned. The ED... Well, I got a weakness for Pearl, so just seeing her smile off into the distance with three cute animals makes for a good ED for me. But I can imagine it's a bit too boring for some.

As for the episode, I'm glad it covered a few things the games didn't cover, thanks to the difference between the mediums. The aforementioned bus ride, the spirit medium helpers, etc. It helps bring the world alive more and make it more... tangible, I suppose is the word.
I liked the scene where Maya was in the Detention Center. Just like the last time, it made for a pretty dramatic moment. It wasn't as well executed as the first time, but it still moved me plenty. The tears weren't excessive, so that's a plus.
Seeing Pearl made my heart melt, and I'm glad to see her in anime form now, too, and have her as a permanent addition to the team from here on out. I can't wait to see more of her.

Overall, good episode. I just fear they'll cut out even more in the coming episodes than they already have here.

Nurio wrote:
Overall, good episode. I just fear they'll cut out even more in the coming episodes than they already have here.

Probably. I think the only case so far where the cutting down has really worked was Turnabout Samurai, so it won't shock me if Big Top's the only one in this half of the season we enjoy the cutting down of.

Should I be concerned about a train wagon moving on its own?

Hot Dog

I really liked this episode tbh. Of course, it was a bit wonky in a few aspects (it made too obvious that Morgan is up to no good, for example). But oh well, I loved Pearls' introduction, I loved Ini's voice and characterisation, Franziska's first scene was awesome, and Lotta's reappearance was more satisfying than in the game. But it had its problems: no Magatama, no Mia in the detention centre with no big shock discovering that even her is hiding something, the background for the case is heavily downplayed, the animation was terrible once more...

Loved the new Opening! I didn't like the music as much as in the first one, but it was so funny and full of characters and movement. It was great. The new ending was very cute too.

I wonder if all the second day of investigation is going to be reduced to the second half of the next episode to make the third and last one a full trial. We'll see.

Programmer

Sligneris wrote:

Should I be concerned about a train wagon moving on its own?

Nope! There is no rule that a wagon like entity can't have powered wheels.

迷探偵

henke37 wrote:
Sligneris wrote:
[Should I be concerned about a train wagon moving on its own?

Nope! There is no rule that a wagon like entity can't have powered wheels.

Third rail + single car trains are not especially rare in Japan (for example Kyoto's Eizan Line).
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

Wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey...

New opening sequence was much better. New opening theme was meh. I liked Pearl's introduction, although I'm a little disappointed the episode ended where it did, just because now I have to wait a whole week to see how they handle Franziska.

Dragongirl

Bolt Storm wrote:
This is a general discussion topic for episode 14, Reunion, and Turnabout - 1st Trial!

The episode is due to air in a few hours, but it should feature a new OP as the anime moves into Justice for All territory.

This is getting really good for each episode here.
My name is Tayla 'Marie' Drago Hester, the number one Anime lover and supporter of all voice actors. Who also loves Ace Attorney things! :D

A Kirby and AA fan

Proyectil wrote:
it made too obvious that Morgan is up to no good, for example

I've seen this complaint a few times, but... honestly, in the games, Morgan already was suspicious as heck. Sure, you don't get to see her true colors until the second investigation, but it's not like she didn't appear evil before that

Hot Dog

Nurio wrote:
Proyectil wrote:
it made too obvious that Morgan is up to no good, for example

I've seen this complaint a few times, but... honestly, in the games, Morgan already was suspicious as heck. Sure, you don't get to see her true colors until the second investigation, but it's not like she didn't appear evil before that

Yeah, it's true, the game makes it obvious too (you can even guess it as soon as the first day of investigation if you figure out who is Mia protecting), but I don't know, at least at the beginning of the case she looks like she cares about Maya. In the game she's very mean with Phoenix and you can see that something is not right with the way she talks about Maya and her family, but... It's more subtle (up until that scene that you talk about, I mean).

It's probably because they have less time to characterise the characters that everything is more on the nose in this adaptation... Even though they made Ini's involvement LESS obvious due to them getting rid of the psychelocks XD It's kind of funny, actually.

A Kirby and AA fan

Yeah, I was thinking about that, actually.
Spoiler:
Maybe they're trying to make Morgan look more suspicious to draw attention away from the true culprit

Gardevoir lover

When Pearl showed up and Phoenix said she looks like Maya i experienced a funny moment where everyone in the room watching with me. (about 3 people) simultaneously went "No she doesn't!" In a very confused tone.

My DA account can be found here: http://klonoahedgehog.deviantart.com/

The cape is self-fluttering

Intro: Decent. I like the scenes with the case "groups." Also lol @ Nick getting literally caught up with Max and Acro.

Episode: I wasn't sure about people calling Morgan suspicious until about fifteen minutes in. She just seemed like your ordinary uptight elder way too obsessed with traditions. Then bam. Showed her true colors.

I thought it was interesting how the other Kurain ladies began gossiping while Maya was being taken away. In the game, it's told that the title of Master is a huge thing, and that in some cases, a lot of blood and tears were shed over it. In the anime, you're given a sense of how toxic the environment can be.

Pearl's introduction was cute. Tailing Nick and Dr. Grey until her mom caught her. Later embarrassing the hell out of Nick.

Random note: Ami's jar looks a bit... neat for having been busted up. When put together properly, the writing doesn't look quite right. I'll just guess there some secondary cracks from past accidents...

The detention center. Before I knew it, I had some serious feels again.

One minor gripe: Dr. Grey showed Phoenix his gun. Yet it didn't seem to bother Phoenix when the good doctor was going to be locked in a room with Maya?

Ending: Holy time warp. Unless Miles' dog is still alive after 15 years. Nice nod to case 1-5, didn't know how I'd go on without seeing that wriggling piece of plywood.
"Descole? You don't mean Mr. I-Like-to-Wreck-Things-with-Mechanical-Monsters-and-Dress-Up-as-Posh-Ladies Descole?" -Emmy Altava

...NAILED IT

A Kirby and AA fan

Jean Descole wrote:
One minor gripe: Dr. Grey showed Phoenix his gun. Yet it didn't seem to bother Phoenix when the good doctor was going to be locked in a room with Maya?

That's what bothered me too, though I failed to mention it in this thread. But Phoenix probably thought it wasn't real

Beware of the Dog

Maya should not wear a tiara and white clothes, imao. Simply looks wrong to me. But the outro (or how you call that) was great. Pearly, Polly, Puppies, sunshine, fields of sunflowers and the skyline of Japanifornia. Just makes me feel fine. :apollo:

A Kirby and AA fan

Viktoria von Karma wrote:
Maya should not wear a tiara and white clothes, imao

Hm? Can you elaborate? How does it look wrong? It looked fine to me

Wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey...

Probably because she's used to Maya in purple clothes, without a tiara.

Beware of the Dog

Nurio wrote:
Maya should not wear a tiara and white clothes, imao

Hm? Can you elaborate? How does it look wrong? It looked fine to me

Nah, I won't start an argument about Maya's clothes now... I just prefer purple. A lot. But that's just my personal opinion.

A Kirby and AA fan

TheDoctor wrote:
Probably because she's used to Maya in purple clothes, without a tiara.

Hm, well, I guessed the same, but I wanted to know for sure, because usually things quickly look off to me, but this time it didn't

Nah, I won't start an argument about Maya's clothes now... I just prefer purple. A lot. But that's just my personal opinion.

An... argument? Okay, whatever you say...

i may not know much

finally started watching again
why tf are they just skipping over 2-1 like waht purpose does this serve at all
i feel like they're just changing shit for the sake of changing shit at this point

A Kirby and AA fan

CaptainCanti wrote:
finally started watching again
why tf are they just skipping over 2-1 like waht purpose does this serve at all
i feel like they're just changing shit for the sake of changing shit at this point

Such language...

Anyway, they only have a limited number of episodes and limited time per episode, so they had to cut a few things to make it all fit. Out of all the cases to cut, the second tutorial case makes the most sense
Page 1 of 1 [ 40 posts ] 

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Neo Olde Tokyo