Board index » Phoenix Wright » Neo Olde Tokyo

Page 1 of 1[ 23 posts ]

Episode 22: "Farewell, My Turnabout - 2nd Trial"Topic%20Title

Master of sharp things!

This is a general discussion thread for the twenty-second episode of the Ace Attorney anime, "Farewell, My Turnabout - 2nd Trial".

Summary wrote:
Nick does whatever he can to win the trial and save Maya.

Re: Episode 22: "Farewell, My Turnabout - 2nd Trial"Topic%20Title

What's between the bread?

Loved it, except for one thing... really didn't like how Phoenix was animated when he starts to break down in court. While of course the image in the game of him just looking devastated with a single still sprite was effective, seeing our protagonist lose it, really lose it to the point of tears, was good stuff. It's just a shame that it really felt like the animation in that initial part of it felt like something out of one of the Fatal Fury movies.

I am sad Engarde didn't conjure the wine glass, but it better make an appearance, and while it won't mean anything for people who've not played the games, the brief shot of the psyche locks was a cool touch. Whole episode worked fairly well, helping to set up the next act. I am curious where next week will cliffhanger exactly, since it's mostly court from here.

A Kirby and AA fan

Spoiler: "Awww"

Have to agree with WildSandwich here. The idea that Phoenix completely broke down in court was good, but it wasn't executed well. Aside from the wonky animation, there was also no build-up to it. If Phoenix had said a few times to himself "I'm running out of time" during to trial, then that would keep the viewers on their toes that there is time pressure on this. Instead, it was recalled the moment time had already run out.
All other dramatic moments were done well. Especially seeing Pearl in the screenshot above, or when eating the ramen, tugged at my heart.

Stupid subtitles and their insistence to call ramen burgers, though.

I also liked seeing the Psyche Locks, though brief and somewhat random. It at least showed that the people did think about putting it in but just couldn't for some reason or another.
This episode also felt a lot longer than usual. About 4 times in the episode, I thought it'd be over, but it just kept going! And as a result, it covered a trial and the investigation in one episode, when that probably wasn't necessary
Oh well, we have 2 episodes now for court and the aftermath. Should be plenty of time to cover all the dramatics well

WildSandwich wrote:
...the brief shot of the psyche locks was a cool touch.

I have to disagree with you on that part. While yes, it was a cool shot, it was entirely pointless since that is the first (and probably only) time that they've appeared in the anime.

Not to say that the episode didn't have its merits and funny moments. Like Oldbag "ratta-tat-tat-tat"-ing in the background while some people were talking. (:raygun:)

And while it's only because of the sub I watched, Maya wanted "miso burgers", "deep-fried burgers", and "pork chop burgers", and that made me laugh pretty hard despite the bleak atmosphere.

got slightly ninja'd but that's okay.

IMO, the way that it was revealed that Engarde was the culprit, it really hit home. Even though we know how the case goes in the game, seeing it in the anime was a whole different experience. And I still have Engarde's evil laugh ringing in my head, and probably will still have it until next Saturday.

Also, that moment at the office where Pearl was crying, I really felt like crying myself. I just wanted to hug Pearly so badly then and there.

Vendily wrote:
WildSandwich wrote:
...the brief shot of the psyche locks was a cool touch.

I have to disagree with you on that part. While yes, it was a cool shot, it was entirely pointless since that is the first (and probably only) time that they've appeared in the anime.

Disagree with the entirely pointless assessment. I mean, yeah, opinions will vary on how much of a good idea it was, but it offers a nice nod to the games for the fans of the games (assuming they're not still hung up about the magatama being cut in the first place), and it adds a bit of symbolism for those not in the know to see, okay, this is where Phoenix breaks him. After all he's not a lawyer, he can't manipulate wind.

Dragongirl

Blademaster_Orca wrote:
This is a general discussion thread for the twenty-second episode of the Ace Attorney anime, "Farewell, My Turnabout - 2nd Trial".

Summary wrote:
Nick does whatever he can to win the trial and save Maya.

So good and so emotional when Phoenix was crying to fear of his best friend Maya's safety to saving her. :( Such a caring person he is.
My name is Tayla 'Marie' Drago Hester, the number one Anime lover and supporter of all voice actors. Who also loves Ace Attorney things! :D

Enoshima Junko-chan!

I suppose they did this because of time constraints, but Adrian admitting that there was a second costume without any pressure was odd to me. But the next episode will surely be dedicated to the entire trial, which it should be.

A Kirby and AA fan

MBr wrote:
I suppose they did this because of time constraints, but Adrian admitting that there was a second costume without any pressure was odd to me. But the next episode will surely be dedicated to the entire trial, which it should be.

There are actually two episodes left which supposedly will focus on the trial (+aftermath)

Nurio wrote:
MBr wrote:

There are actually two episodes left which supposedly will focus on the trial (+aftermath)

Yeah be interesting to see what they do there, because the fact that Larry's present instead of Lotta could present some more interesting deviations from the game that tie into the whole friendship trio concept the anime pushed in its unique childhood episode. Maybe Gumshoe's big crash happens as the episode 23 cliffhanger or something?

Enoshima Junko-chan!

It could be either that, or the next episode is all about the trial and the one after that could be something original like what they did at the end of the first season.

Programmer

I find the scene with the chains and locks to be insulting. I could have tolerated writing them out completely, but only now giving the implication that they were there the entire time, just never shown? Some of you see this as a good will gesture. I see it as taunting. They were on thin ice writing them out and now they give a tauntingly short and incomplete version of it? They have no clue what they are doing.

As for the next episode, they better be playing Core. That track completely set the mood of the scene and imnho should have been kept exclusive for this case.
Currently working on a redesign of cr.net itself! Come talk to me about it on Discord!

Racing through the sky like a Missile

Hm. It's episodes like these that I kinda wished they turned this anime adaptation into a parody version of the games. This episode shares a lot of the highs and lows of the previous.

They actually do have good ideas for humor and the drama (in select scenes) and the voice acting is always top-notch. But with the case jumping around so quickly, there's not enough pause to effectively draw out the proper response. And even the animations are inconsistent, needless to say by now, the art. Don't give barely anything to some shots (what happened to Edgeworth's cringe? It was good in Turnabout Sisters!) and string too much into one scene (Nick's twitchy? breakdown). Granted, anything with Oldbag in it seems to hit hyperdrive regardless.

It was still cute seeing Pearl play with Shoe. I guess Pearl's roles are simple enough to not get wrong, yet even here, it wasn't as satisfying as I'd hoped it would be. Damn cat is fat and spoiled Pearl could at least do a bit more than just bounce a bit.

Psyche-locks were unnecessary. At the point they placed it, it was an appropriate nod to the fans, but it was still rather out-of-place.

This isn't from the anime itself, but the subbers actually did something appropriate by substituting "burgers" for every Japanese food item Maya mentions. It would have been intolerable in the games for her to call everything "burgers", but in this case, this version of Maya might do just that.

All in all, though, the episodes in this case are of better quality than the last two cases... even if that's not saying much.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

A Kirby and AA fan

MBr wrote:
It could be either that, or the next episode is all about the trial and the one after that could be something original like what they did at the end of the first season.

No, the Blurays for this season noted "1 special episode and 11 episodes tackling three cases" or something like that. (I'm paraphrasing)
Okay, never mind that. It mentioned a special case, and back then I interpreted that as a special episode (referring to the special episode 13).

The cape is self-fluttering

the lol:
-Oldbag's entrance and her playing with Edgeworth's cravat, and harassing Matt
-Maya keeping her stash of candy in her waistband
Spoiler: and this
Couldn't tell if Gumshoe was looking at Phoenix or at the Objection bubble, lol.

I liked seeing Matt's reaction to Adrian's testimony about preparing the Samurai costume. For those who haven't played the game, it would really look like Adrian was the main villain. I agree that she seemed to confess prematurely about her role, but I guess they do what they have to do with the time limit. I'm surprised they didn't get her on the evidence tampering though... maybe next ep.

Shoe seemed a lot fatter from what I remember. (Yes, he was just a headshot in the game, but proportionally speaking, he looked like an average sized cat.)

Matt's "transformation" was actually a bit scarier here.
"Descole? You don't mean Mr. I-Like-to-Wreck-Things-with-Mechanical-Monsters-and-Dress-Up-as-Posh-Ladies Descole?" -Emmy Altava

...NAILED IT

A Kirby and AA fan

Jean Descole wrote:

That's apparently where they keep all their stuff. I think I recall Pearl taking the walkietalkie from her waistband too

Nurio wrote:
Jean Descole wrote:

That's apparently where they keep all their stuff. I think I recall Pearl taking the walkietalkie from her waistband too

Walkie-talkies don't melt, though.
"Descole? You don't mean Mr. I-Like-to-Wreck-Things-with-Mechanical-Monsters-and-Dress-Up-as-Posh-Ladies Descole?" -Emmy Altava

...NAILED IT

A Kirby and AA fan

Jean Descole wrote:

I... never claimed otherwise?

Nurio wrote:
Jean Descole wrote:

I... never claimed otherwise?

I know you didn't. I should have clarified. I meant that unlike walkie-talkies, chocolate can melt and end up a mess, even inside a bag.

...NAILED IT

The miracle never happen

-deleted-
"There is but one last shred of cheer for a soul far beyond redemption: The bitter darkness that lies at the very bottom of this mug."
-Diego Armando

Last edited by Kessler on Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A Kirby and AA fan

Jean Descole wrote:
I know you didn't. I should have clarified. I meant that unlike walkie-talkies, chocolate can melt and end up a mess, even inside a bag.

Let me clarify that I know that the chocolates are more funny to keep in the waistband, and I didn't mean to make the walkie-talkie an example of a funny thing to keep in the waistband. I simply added to what your said by pointing out that apparently that is strangely their universal hammer space pocket

Okay.

...NAILED IT

:)

The ending was such an epic cliffhanger.
Page 1 of 1 [ 23 posts ] 

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Neo Olde Tokyo