Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Police Station

Page 1 of 1[ 11 posts ]

What other good mystery games are out there?Topic%20Title

A New Chapter of Trials!

I'm always looking for more of these! I've played the Kyle Hyde games (which I love), Danganronpa (which are fun but a bit overrated imo), Ghost Trick (which I don't even need to comment on), and probably others that I am forgetting. I also plan to play some of the Zero Escape games in the future, but haven't gotten any yet. Which other series out there would you suggest?
Eureka!
Re: What other good mystery games are out there?Topic%20Title

The miracle never happen

Well I would recommend Zero Escape, but since you're already planning on buying it, I can't help you.
"There is but one last shred of cheer for a soul far beyond redemption: The bitter darkness that lies at the very bottom of this mug."
-Diego Armando

Wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey...

The Nancy Drew games on PC are pretty good, although there's no searching for contradictions. Most of them are fairly solid mysteries though. (Except Ransom of the Seven Ships, that one sucked).

A New Chapter of Trials!

TheDoctor wrote:
The Nancy Drew games on PC are pretty good, although there's no searching for contradictions. Most of them are fairly solid mysteries though. (Except Ransom of the Seven Ships, that one sucked).

Oh man, I remember playing some of those as a kid! They were pretty good from what I remember.
Eureka!

Become... Enlightened

Hotel Dusk is another good visual novel of more recent times, though I guess it's somewhat old at this point. Then again, so is Ace Attorney.

If you're into ARG-ish type puzzle solving, The Black Watchmen is a lot of fun. It's a spinoff of The Secret World (also high recommendation, but not solely a mystery game and an MMO), but isn't tied to it, so you don't need to know anything from that.

To find many other good mystery games, we have to go a bit older. Here are some of my recommendations:

• Broken Sword. Some of the most iconic adventure games of all time, if you like that sort of thing. For the first one, get it on GoG, which includes both the original version and the Special Edition. I'd suggest playing both (original first), but definitely at least play the original. The extra content in the Special Edition is worth seeing, but that edition is poorly programmed and cuts out some of the original dialogue. The second you can play either the original or the special edition, doesn't matter. Would still suggest GoG for stability. For the rest, Steam or GoG is fine. (1, 2, and 5 are typical 2D point and click adventures, 3 and 4 was a departure into 3D that not many liked but that I enjoy just fine.)
  • If you can manage to get your hands on them and get them working, In Memoriam and Missing Since January are pretty interesting. They're single-player, but have ARG-like gameplay, sending you emails and making you check websites and stuff. Fun times.

Most adventure games would sort of qualify, in a way, but it depends on how much mystery you're looking for and the game in question.

I'm not sure why I didn't post this one sooner, but the Umineko series is a really good mystery. The first four episode have an official English release on Steam, which is fine, since those four episodes are where the core mystery is located. The last four episodes have some mystery as well, but they're mostly framing devices to help you solve what happened in the first four episodes and why.

Main caveat is that the games don't explicitly give you the answers to the mystery, hoping you can reach the truth yourself without having it spelled out for you. That said, the manga included the writer's official answers, so the truth is on the wiki if you want to check your work.

I recommend playing episodes 1-4 first, then replaying them once you've finished the 4th one. 4 has some revelations included that put many of the scenes in a new context.

I would not recommend skipping the last four episodes of Umineko, they have a lot of story relevant stuff and while technically possible, it would be incredibly hard to figure out the whole truth without them.
Signature loading, please wait...

I'm just saying technically, you can figure it out without playing episodes five through eight, so until there's an officially released English translation for episodes five through eight, episodes one through four can give you enough information to solve the mystery.

Either that, or you can get the unofficial English translation…

I'm pretty sure those episodes will eventually be released, seeing how even the spinoff fighting game is getting an official translation and a Steam release.
Signature loading, please wait...

I'm sure of it too. I'm just saying replaying the first four to try and solve the mystery yourself might be a good way to kill time until then.

I mean, I would hate for people to miss out on the latter half of the series, since some of my favorite moments and characters are featured there. I'm only mentioning this in case the fact that half the story hasn't been officially released yet is a turnoff for some.

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

I would recommend Scratches Director's Cut, which is a horror game. I found it to be rather well written in terms of prose and the suspense is fantastic for how simple the game is. I think it's one of those where you just have to put it on your computer, start playing and let it grab you. I should warn however that the ultimate ending itself is a let-down but it doesn't take away any of the buildup and I would gladly replay it for all that the game offered if I had to.
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney
Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Police Station