Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Police Station

Page 39 of 45[ 1781 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 ... 45  Next

Re: PersonaTopic%20Title

What is your impression of the new characters so far? The typical SMT trio, guy protagonist - guy who is best friend of the protagonist - girl friend of the guys. Hope the guy and the girl are not similar to Junpei and Yukari...

dangerousoffender wrote:
What is your impression of the new characters so far? The typical SMT trio, guy protagonist - guy who is best friend of the protagonist - girl friend of the guys. Hope the guy and the girl are not similar to Junpei and Yukari...

Oh, they are - fortunately - nothing like Yukari and Junpei. These guys are tolerable.
Though I wouldn't say Ryuji is the best friend... more the first friend. I get what you mean, but it doesn't feel that way.

Ryuji is the loud, energetic type who is rather bookdumb... but he has his good sides. Anne (still tempted to call her Collet or Nana - because of her voice actress) is pretty tolerable. She's not making a huge impression on me right now, but that might be because her impression was bigger, since things were more personal for her with the first dungeon's boss.

I know about the rest of the characters already, so...
Makoto is great. I just got her Persona unlocked and I'm looking forward to having her be in my party more. And I really, really, REALLY want Futaba in my party! I want to unlock her already, because everything from her design to what her plot point/personality is like, it appeals to me. Heck, I'm gonna try to romance her.

I notice that I am much more open with actually changing my party members in P5.
In P3, my party usually changed to Protagonist, Mitsuru, Akihito and either Yukari for healing or someone-who-is-not-Junpei as soon as it was available.
In P4, I quickly decided to not switch my members beyond the first few members; generally never went beyond Yusuke, Chie and Yukiko.
But here, I change my party members when I feel like it or try them out.
Though I am not sure if I wanna get rid of Anne or Morgana - Anne is an amazing magic user in the long run, but her defense sucks. On the other hand, Morgana has the same problem, but is much more healing focused and fast. Though the healing can easily be done by Joker. (Now that I think about it, my party will likely end up Joker and three ladies)

C-A

Apollon Flame

dangerousoffender wrote:

I think Persona tries to deliver a unique experience for every rendition, so I'm not expecting the main three, even four, characters to resemble past characters.
A King

in name

alone...

@CatMuto Glad to hear the Persona series is mantaining quality when it comes to characters. Futaba looks OMG so cute, and from the few things I've read about her,

Spoiler:
...she apparently has a problem with agoraphobia or something, right? I like this, because it is a relatable issue, and common in contemporary times. Living in a huge city, nobody knows each other, things feel unsafe and technology allows you to communicate while being physically distant from others. Somebody said P5 would deal with issues that are a product of the modern world. I really like that.

I rarely changed my party in P4, and mostly used the traditional Protagonist/Yosuke/Chie/Yukiko team, too. I think Kanji and Naoto's powers suck. I mean, a lot of Kanji's skills are Zio spells, but his magic sucks. His spells never do much damage and he easily loses SP anyway. As for Naoto... she is basically all about light/dark skills, which don't work in bosses, and Megido spells drain all of your SP in the blink of an eye.

I used Teddie sometimes, though. Protagonist/Yosuke/Teddie/Yukiko party can be incredibly strong, with two healers and elemental variety (Wind/Ice/Fire). I would generaly make the protagonist use a Persona proeficient in physical skills to balance things a little in this party. Chie is definitely essential in the end, though, simply because... Power Charge + God's Hand.

BTW, you are playing the Japanese version of the game, right? Do you understand everything? Because this is a superhuman power to me. lol

Scent wrote:
dangerousoffender wrote:

I think Persona tries to deliver a unique experience for every rendition, so I'm not expecting the main three, even four, characters to resemble past characters.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. The SMT series is kind of formulaic when it comes to characters sometimes. For example, the typical guy protagonist/guy friend/girl friend trio is classical, and more often than not, the guy friend of the protagonist is made to be somewhat clumsy, scatterbrained, energetic, etc. You can see this kind of trio in Devil Survivor too. Formulaic doesn't mean bad, though. Like the Zelda series is pretty formulaic in general, but it is still fun.

Quote:
@CatMuto Glad to hear the Persona series is mantaining quality when it comes to characters. Futaba looks OMG so cute,

She does! So adorable! Well, actually it's less that and more... severe social anxiety. Basically, she's a Shut In.

Quote:
BTW, you are playing the Japanese version of the game, right? Do you understand everything? Because this is a superhuman power to me. lol

Uhh... yes/no. I get what's going on, but I suck at majority of the questions you get asked in class. No audio for that, so I have to rely on my little knowledge of kanji, some minor logic or flat out GUESS who that Japanese historical person is... cause I never studied Japanese history. Well, as an example of why I suck at increasing my Wisdom parameter. :kristoph:

Spoiler: Persona 5 - Major Spoiler. Don't click if you don't want to be spoiled!
Oh, good! The Justice SL ranks up automatically! That means I don't need to be nice to Goro at all and can tell him to take his obviously-a-traitor-ous ass out of my sight whenever I want! :will:

C-A

I've felt worse.

Quote:
She does! So adorable! Well, actually it's less that and more... severe social anxiety. Basically, she's a Shut In.

Dammit, now I have to buy this game.

BTW, is the PS3 version running well? And how's the new battle UI?
"It's never too late to learn that growing old doesn't have to mean growing up. Stay curious, stay weird, stay kind, and don't let anyone ever tell you you aren't smart or brave or worthy enough." -Stanford Pines, Gravity Falls

Wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey...

On that note, have they finally removed Dora mode the navigator voice telling you ridiculously obvious things?

Also, what's the music like? Is it the same J-pop style they've used since Persona 3, or have they gone mostly lyric-less?

元・超会社員級の管理人

Oh, this thread is moving again!

I finished P5 last weekend. I liked it a lot, even if at the end of the day it still feels like a very safe evolution of P3/P4.

TheDoctor wrote:
On that note, have they finally removed Dora mode the navigator voice telling you ridiculously obvious things?

Also, what's the music like? Is it the same J-pop style they've used since Persona 3, or have they gone mostly lyric-less?

Navigator's still there, as is the trophy for hearing enough of their lines. I just consider myself lucky that that one popped on its own without me having to go search out more things to hear, heh.

The music is less J-poppy and a little more jazzy. There's not as many songs with lyrics compared to P4 (AFAIK - I never played P4) but hte ones that are there are pretty strong.
Hi! I've largely stepped back from C-R due to life stuff. Please contact one of the other staff members for help!

Wooster wrote:
If there was such a thing as the "Wooster Seal of Approval", this post would get it.

sumguy28 wrote:
BTW, is the PS3 version running well? And how's the new battle UI?

Well, I haven't noticed any major issues. Haven't really noticed anything like lag. Only loading screens, which are probably in the PS4, too. They aren't too long.

I like the new Battle UI. Using a button for each thing - O for Attack (or X, in the localized version, I guess), X for your gun, Square for Items and Triangle for Persona - it feels pretty smooth. And the design is pretty neat. Still ties with the whole comic-book vibe they've got going on and it fits.

TheDoctor wrote:

Nope. Morgana (and eventually Makoto) still tells you what's going on. But considering I have to listen to Ikue Otani or Rina Sato, it doesn't bother me that much. It only bugs me when I had to hear Morgana brag about having hit an enemy's weakness in quick succession. Minor thing again.

Still what it's done before. Regular battle music has lyrics, but the one for, say, fighting bosses has no lyrics. Just instrumental. Still good. As Bolt says, more Jazz than J-Pop. But they are still good to listen to. I love the regular battle music - the lyrics basically make it clear that the song is about bragging how Joker and the bunch are too fast for enemies to see and defeat them with ease. Pretty catchy, once you let it hit you.

I also really love the music playing in the dungeons when you are heading to defeat the boss. It's an instrumental version of the opening, but more upbeat and stuff. Really gets you pumped for the battle.

But the characters are... well, the characters are their own person, but battle-wise, you can easily point out the 'patterns'. Anne is basically Yukiko with her fire-magic, but has the healing capacities of Mitsuru. And Ryuji uses Zio. (I dunno why they opted for that...) It's cool to see Frei (Nuke-powers) back; they haven't been in Persona since the second one.

C-A

Spoiler: Persona 5 - Big Spoiler
Goro: "The Phantom Thieves... damn!"

I AM SO TOTALLY NOT A JERK AND TRAITOR! WHAT WOULD EVER MAKE YOU THINK THAT?!

Dude, you are about as much as a well-hidden spoiler as the fact that Yuna was supposed to die at the end of her journey.
Why did they write him in? His entire plot seems so unnecessary.

C-A

As near as I can tell, dual audio won't be happening for the U.S. release, which kind of sucks since I am either very unfamiliar with their existing work (most of the actors), or their voices actively irritate me (e.g. Cherami Leigh, who I sometimes find just as irritating, if not more so than Laura Bailey, depending on the role). *sigh*

I could be wrong from what I have seen by asking in Gamestop, but it seems like Europe will not be getting a PS3 version of Persona 5.

C-A

Gettin' Old!

CatMuto wrote:
I could be wrong from what I have seen by asking in Gamestop, but it seems like Europe will not be getting a PS3 version of Persona 5.

C-A

Nnngh wasn't the PS3 version promised? Man Atlus keeps giving us a raw deal.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Blah!

I don't see any news about it, so I wouldn't take what someone at a brick and mortar store says as the truth. Something could have changed since August, but other than the fact that I don't see an option to preorder the PS3 version from Amazon UK (but I have no idea how Amazon UK compares to Amazon US, so...), there's no clear indication that the PS3 version isn't coming to EU.

Though, if it does turn out that way, Deep Silver is handling the publishing in Europe, not Atlus, so it would probably weigh more on DS if they drop the PS3 version.

I would really like the Catherine DLC. But it seems that it was a time-limited thing... which is sad, especially since it also included altering the BGM; similar to the Persona DLC. Though I have to say, putting Anne into Catherine's outfit... though I more wonder why Haru is in Erica's attire. And Futaba looks so adorable in Toby's overalls!

Also, something I want to complain about... it's not quite a spoiler, since it is mentioned as part of the protagonist's reason for being in Tokyo and it happened in P4, too. So, I don't think this requires a spoiler tag. If a mod sees this and says it does, I'll edit, of course.

But I am really a tad annoyed and sad that the protagonist leaves at the end of the year.
I know, he was on probation* and it was made clear that it's not a permanent change of address... but can I just say that I find it really weird to do? I mean, here the protagonist comes to a new location, goes through hell with his new friends, gets really close to them - maybe even gets a girlfriend or several - while he's there... and then he just up and leaves again! "Oh, yeah. Awesome adventure and all, kbye!"

* Ok, why does he move somewhere else for his probation? Is this a Japanese thing to do with delinquents or did I misunderstand the plot?

C-A

Seems like it's more of a Persona thing. Can't say I care for it much myself.

Futaba! Get your sweet underage ass out of your UFO Persona and join my party! Do not come across as the third mission control person! I may be mindless at times, but this is just insultingly dumb.

Spoiler: Futaba - Minor Spoiler
Can I just say when the scene came up of Futaba confronting her mother's memory and the two admitting that they love each other... kind of went silly, because Futaba is wearing her googley-eyes mask at the time?

C-A

Blah!

Bad news: Persona 5 is now releasing on April 4, 2017.

Awesome news: it'll now be dual audio! Japanese audio will be free DLC! For both versions!

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/11/ ... 4-and-ps3/

EDIT: I probably should mention that I could go without a dual audio release, but I know a lot of people prefer one. And it's not like the delay is stated to be due to the dual audio addition anyway.

Gettin' Old!

blahmoomoo wrote:

Awesome news: it'll now be dual audio! Japanese audio will be free DLC! For both versions!

EDIT: I probably should mention that I could go without a dual audio release, but I know a lot of people prefer one. And it's not like the delay is stated to be due to the dual audio addition anyway.

Good I'd be furious if it turned out dual audio was the reason it was pushed back.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

I don't really care. Atlus delays stuff so much that I'm already used to it. Two months are nothing.

blahmoomoo wrote:

Really? Oh, that's pretty cool news.

Quote:
I don't really care. Atlus delays stuff so much that I'm already used to it. Two months are nothing.

Oh, yeah. Remember the original Arena game?

Speaking of P5, I haven't played the game in a few days. I have Futaba now (I also have her Social Link started on Rank 1, but have yet to find where to go to her for regular meeting up...) and I feel like the drive of the game is gone. I know I am still getting two party members; I know the upcoming bosses and all and I KNOW that the plot and story REALLY starts going with the next party member (Haru) coming up, but... I dunno. After completing the class trip to Hawaii, I don't really feel like playing more.
Urgh, typical classtrips for me; never all that fun and just wanting to go back home.

C-A

Blah!

The director, character designer, and composer for Persona 5 (and previous games) are working on a new RPG.

http://rpg.jp/

Project Re Fantasy: A Fool's Journey Begins, being developed by the new Studio Zero (I'm guessing it's like P Studio for the Persona series), will be a fantasy RPG and promises to be a departure from SMT/Persona.

There's a trailer that communicates the concept of the game here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1e4vOxUIsRs

Pretty sure it will be based on tarot somehow. Even the name of this new studio (Studio Zero) has to do with tarot, probably, since The Fool is the numberless card/card number zero in most tarot decks. I wish I could talk to the guy who is behind those games lol. I'm sure we have a lot of interests in common.

Anyway, as a SMT and Persona lover, I'll be looking forward to it, and waiting for more info. I have a pretty strong feeling it will be PS4 exclusive... I don't know, it just sounds fucking fantastic, because I was getting tired of the high school setting anyway.

EDIT: Aaaand it will have Shoji Meguro composing the soundtrack, apparently. Yay~~

Do you see the black one...or the white?

blahmoomoo wrote:
The director, character designer, and composer for Persona 5 (and previous games) are working on a new RPG.

http://rpg.jp/

Project Re Fantasy: A Fool's Journey Begins, being developed by the new Studio Zero (I'm guessing it's like P Studio for the Persona series), will be a fantasy RPG and promises to be a departure from SMT/Persona.

There's a trailer that communicates the concept of the game here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1e4vOxUIsRs

Sounds like an interesting concept. The last Atlus RPG I played that was a departure from Persona/SMT was Radiant Historia, and that game was just absolutely fantastic. I'll definitely be happy if they can pull off another great original idea. Definitely will keep my eye on this one.
On April 3, 2016, Court Records Forums experienced a miracle upon that day.
CatMuto wrote:
Pierre wrote:
Man...that looks dull...this actually makes me worried for KH3 (since that team worked on the battle system)

I feel the same

Blah!

A few days ago, Atlus opened a website for Shin Megami Tensei's 25th anniversary game: http://shin-megamitensei.jp/

Today, it was revealed that whatever this game is, it'll be on the Nintendo Switch. The trailer just showed a bunch of SMT demons rendered in 3D, and it wasn't clear if this was SMTV or something else (there appeared to be a subtitle, but I didn't see a five, unless it was the Japanese character for 5).

Nintendo's announcement tweet: https://twitter.com/Nintendo/status/819766651222560769 (translates roughly to "Atlus's latest game in the SMT series is under development for the Nintendo Switch")

EDIT: oh, NOA translated that tweet too. Same information. https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/sta ... 8809110528

Gettin' Old!

Ha they really like throwing Nintendo some solid gold bones on occasion don't they? What with TMS and Persona Q.

That said nothing to say this is Switch exclusive but it's nice to know it's being included.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Blah!

Here's the trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ut9ekAp2drs

It would be a first for an SMT game to be cross-console maker (as far as I'm aware), so it would be interesting if this wasn't a Switch exclusive. I guess we'll see later this year, probably.

Blah!

This may have been up for a while, but I just noticed it. There's also a 3DS project in the works... it just says "Coming Soon"

It's also notable that the game announced at the Switch presentation is called "HD Project", so that increases the possibility that it isn't Switch exclusive. I wonder if that would also explain why they are using Unreal 4 instead of a custom engine (e.g. P5 is custom, and TMS appears to be custom on top of Criware).

http://shin-megamitensei.jp/

Been playing through P4G again. In retrospect, I think I understand part of the reason people dislike Marie. Yes, she's got way too much character focus for being a canon foreigner, but if you're going to make her so important, why not add her to the investigation team? Not only would that give her a reason to exist, but it would give the player more options for their combat team lineup.

Or heck, make it to where you could at least swap her and Rise out as the team Captain Obvious, giving them each different skill sets. If you do that, you could even go all out and make Rise an optional part of the combat team.

At least that way, even if people still hate her story, she could at least be useful instead of a waste of data.

TheDoctor wrote:
Been playing through P4G again. In retrospect, I think I understand part of the reason people dislike Marie.

Because she's a goddamn Mary Sue?
Added into the game in a way that is utterly pointless, because everything about her is pretty much optional - unless one wants to see an extra scene, in which case you are forced to deal with her? I'll be quite honest, if she had been a team member, I probably would still not like her. Because she's a Mary Sue. Those types of characters are generally not very well liked by players/the fandom.

C-A

Yes, her Sue-ishness is definitely a turn-off. Her personality is okay, but her shoehorned "importance?" Not so much.

Spoiler: "Culprit Spoilers"
I mean, take out her relation to Izanami, make her a normal amnesiac human, have her dungeon be part of the actual plot (something either Adachi or Namatame threw her into), and then optionally make her part of the investigation team, and she'd probably be okay.

Either that, or just add her as an optional social link without making her so "important."

Do you see the black one...or the white?

The only things I liked about Marie were the songs associated with her and her dungeon, which was kinda fun to me. That's it.
On April 3, 2016, Court Records Forums experienced a miracle upon that day.
CatMuto wrote:
Pierre wrote:
Man...that looks dull...this actually makes me worried for KH3 (since that team worked on the battle system)

I feel the same

The dungeon was actually pretty good, which is why it should have been part of the main plot, or simply not have a plot to begin with, as opposed to something in-between.

TheDoctor wrote:
Yes, her Sue-ishness is definitely a turn-off. Her personality is okay, but her shoehorned "importance?" Not so much.

Spoiler: "Culprit Spoilers"
I mean, take out her relation to Izanami, make her a normal amnesiac human, have her dungeon be part of the actual plot (something either Adachi or Namatame threw her into), and then optionally make her part of the investigation team, and she'd probably be okay.

Either that, or just add her as an optional social link without making her so "important."

Her as a social link isn't so bad - just how her personality is basically that of a Mary Sue, she's made way too important for her own little plot and

Spoiler: Marie
her being an aspect of Izanami is a pretty stupid, and very Mary Sue-ish, revelation;

her place in the game should have been just a social link, with no other importance. Heck, make Kashiwagi or that Hana/ko girl a social link. I wouldn't mind.

Because if she was just a social link, she'd be okay.
The problem with Canon Mary Sues is that... well, they bug you very fast, because their spotlight in things just makes you realize the flaws of the other sections so much. Take a look at 7 Seeds - great manga, takes a bit to really get going, but it overall has good characters and interesting parts. But the character Hana Sugurono really shows shades of a Canon Mary Sue after a while; she gets several minor plots given to her and make her more important than the other characters... when some of those subplots (like her having a crush on Aramaki) could have easily been given to any of the other female characters. Especially since some of them STILL have very little personality on them. (It's a big cast, I won't deny that, but Hana is getting too much focus for something that has no properly set protagonist)

C-A

That moment you realize the fox is a better character than Marie.

Every Puzzle has an answer.

So I just finished Persona 4 (Blind! I'm so proud of myself!)

And I wanted to ask if Persona 4 golden is worth buying now I have already played persona 4 regular?
It's a gentleman's duty to help a lady in need.

Blah!

Michelaar wrote:

And I wanted to ask if Persona 4 golden is worth buying now I have already played persona 4 regular?

If you want to replay the game so soon, I'd say go for it. There are some interesting additions, including more social links and side activities, but the story and core gameplay (AFAIK) is mostly the same. I personally would want to take a break after playing a game that big though.

Some fans have mixed feelings about one particular addition (see Marie bashing above), but otherwise Golden is a good version of the game.

Michelaar wrote:

That's... sorry, but P4 is not a difficult game to play or get through blind...

I'd say it's not really worth it. It added things, but not in the core mechanics. It's basically the same game, only you get more beach (AND FANSERVICE) scenes and Naoto got some elemental skills, to actually be worthwhile to use in your party. The two added social links are... eh, not really that great. The main battle theme was changed to "Time To Make History", which is a good song and just as up-beat as "Reach Out For The Truth" (which can be played, if you get a pre-emptive attack from behind on enemies).

C-A

Every Puzzle has an answer.

Alright, thanks for clearing that up guys. Even if it isn't that hard to get through it blind, I certainly had... difficulties (DAMN YOU SHADOW MITSUO)
It's a gentleman's duty to help a lady in need.

Michelaar wrote:
Alright, thanks for clearing that up guys. Even if it isn't that hard to get through it blind, I certainly had... difficulties (DAMN YOU SHADOW MITSUO)

True, he was annoying. But I think that had more to do with him hitting hard.

C-A
Page 39 of 45 [ 1781 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 ... 45  Next

Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Police Station