Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » Kingdom of Khura'in (GS6)

Page 2 of 2[ 66 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2

Re: Least Favourite Character from SoJ? -_Spoilers_-Topic%20Title

It kind of depends on the situation for me I guess

Spoiler: 6-2
I really loved both of 6-2's transformations. Betty's was necessary to distinguish her from Bonny

As for Roger's, he probably has the best transformation in the series, maybe even past Engarde. I loved how subtle it was like he was dangling the answer in front of us the entire time. And unlike Engarde, his personality doesn't really change either

Plus with Roger the transformation is extremely "necessary" as it'd just be a waste to have a magician villain without utilizing the animation potential

The video game boy; the one who wins

JesusMonroe wrote:

I really loved both of 6-2's transformations. Betty's was necessary to distinguish her from Bonny

As for Roger's, he probably has the best transformation in the series, maybe even past Engarde. I loved how subtle it was like he was dangling the answer in front of us the entire time. And unlike Engarde, his personality doesn't really change either

Plus with Roger the transformation is extremely "necessary" as it'd just be a waste to have a magician villain without utilizing the animation potential

Spoiler:
Agreed, I first got a bit annoyed with Betty's because it felt like an out of the blue-design change-transformation, but of course it made sense when she turned out to be a different person entirely. Engarde's is still my favourite because it changes everything, but Reus' was amazing as well, very neatly done.

(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)

A Kirby and AA fan

Gotta agree there. DD's DLC villain was worse for the reason you mentioned. And it's also less bad if it's a small case instead of a big case. But I'm still not a fan regardless

Beauty and grace.

JesusMonroe wrote:
A lot of people bring up justification for Nayuta's behavior in cases 2-4 but I honestly don't think it really needs much justification. I think he's just rude, like that's his personality. Blackquill was rude in DD too and still is in 6-4

Nayuta isn't just a monk, he's a sharp-tongued monk. That's the prosecutor gimmick this time around. I don't blame anyone for not liking him because he is rude, but I don't think a huge justification is needed for it. He is who he is

Not really trying to excuse what he does at all. In fact, I'm kinda bummed out that he turned out the way he did because I really did want to like him. I'm just pointing out why it's unreasonable to expect him to act differently out of the country.

Happy Maria

Yay a post of mine hit more than one page!

-cough- Anyway....

I really do love over the top transformations and breakdowns. AA I feel as always been about the craziness and zaniness of the court system,and the transformations go hand in hand with that.

Going for Miles wrote:
JesusMonroe wrote:

Spoiler:
Agreed, I first got a bit annoyed with Betty's because it felt like an out of the blue-design change-transformation, but of course it made sense when she turned out to be a different person entirely. Engarde's is still my favourite because it changes everything, but Reus' was amazing as well, very neatly done.

Spoiler:
Fun fact: When I saw 'Bonny' transform and the bat motive my first thought was "I guess her name could have been Betty, but that would spoil the twist."

The video game boy; the one who wins

^Well played.
(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)

A Kirby and AA fan

JesusMonroe wrote:

Spoiler: 6-1, 6-2
I wasn't against the 6-2 transformations at all. There, they made sense. The first one was a different character entirely, and the second one was a different identity entirely, both who were unmasked during the course of the trial. But looking back at Peeslub'n, the metal stuff wasn't a different identity. It was still Peeslub'n, and his metal-ness also wasn't unmasked. It just went like
"Hey, you're the killer!"
"Gh!" *turns metal*

Happy Maria

I know,but that's sort of the turning point of the case. You've aggravated the killer to the point that they've transformed completely. This also fools veterans into thinking that the case is near completion.
Spoiler: obvious 6-1
not even close

A Kirby and AA fan

Actually, I think veterans...
Spoiler:
would know it's far from over since Rhymes had a similar transformation, and it took ages for it to end with him too

That's how I interpreted it anyhow. And yeah, I don't mind villains showing their true colors if they're unmasked or aggravated. A very simple example is Frank Sahwit. He gets cornered more and more to the point he just bursts out in anger and throws his toupet (which I refuse to write as toupee =P) at Phoenix showing he's actually balding, and then later gets so worked up he foams at the mouth and faints. But he doesn't completely transform. He doesn't become a different person with a different voice and pulls out enormous stuff out of nowhere. I know it's Ace Attorney, but that's just too unrealistic to me. It should make more sense since it's at such an important part during the trial, when things get real

My general rule of transformations is "if I can't see the pre-transformation and post-transformation as the same character, I don't like it." The exception to this rule is 2-4 but it's also not really an exception because I can see the villain as the same character in that case, probably due to the design still being so similar

There are also other exceptions I guess. Like I can't even remember what I-5's villain was like before the transformation. In this case, the post-transformation IS the character

5-3, 5-DLC, 6-1, and 6-5 are ones I don't really like too much

A Kirby and AA fan

JesusMonroe wrote:
My general rule of transformations is "if I can't see the pre-transformation and post-transformation as the same character, I don't like it."

That's a good way to put it, and I agree. As long as you still feel like you're dealing with the same person, it's all good. (Exceptions are the times it literally isn't the same person or identity.)

Happy Maria

I dunno,I felt that the villain was the same person Pre and post transformation,just a bit more meaner in the latter.

A Kirby and AA fan

Southern Corn wrote:
I dunno,I felt that the villain was the same person Pre and post transformation,just a bit more meaner in the latter.

It surely wasn't as bad as the physical transformation in 5-DLC, but it still felt unnatural. It feels like a gag and serving no other purpose than "haha", except it wasn't funny. I mean,
Spoiler: 6-1
who would suddenly start turning metal the moment he gets cornered? That's weird, isn't it? It feels like something out of a webcomic where the only gag is the characters being quirky.
Spoiler: 5-3
At least with Means, for example, I can imagine he was just completely pissed and wanted to lecture everybody about how wrong they are. That felt a bit more natural already... Still was a bit eh, though

Happy Maria

Alright,time to finally reply in spoiler tags :P
Spoiler: 6-1 and 5-3
I felt that him turning metal was to more aggressively taunt Phoenix and prompt the crowd. I liked him more in a design sense than Means,whose statue design was really weird and didn't fit into the right atmosphere for 5-3. Pees'lubn was at least cohesive in his design. Him turning metal goes great with the whole Khura'in setting,all dark and ominous. And I could see him being the same person still. The speakers were odd,but I feel that's very tongue-in cheek stuff.

I think we might have to agree to disagree on this one.

A Kirby and AA fan

I disagree to disagree!

...No, just kidding. Yes, let's. I also didn't actually expect to convince you or anyone else, anyway. It's more me trying to explain why I didn't like the transformations

[Whip the cream!]

Inga. He's just plain nasty.
Spoiler: 6-5
His only redeeming quality seems to be that he apparently was a nice father to Rayfa. That letter from her that he had in his safe was adorable, and the fact that he kept it there was too.

Aaaand I'm mad at him for killing Dhurke. I know why he would do such a thing, but I'm still mad. Super-mad.

Gimme a "P"! Gimme an "I"! Give me a "P" and an "E"! What's that spell?! Pipe!

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

I like sometimes having pre- and post-transformations be very similar like Alita Tiala in AJAA. Not all villains have to change form IMO because it ends up feeling too much like a gimmick.

My least favorite is probably the culprit of 6-3. Plain boring. Saw it coming. The animations and behavior makes the suspicion too obvious the first day. I don't even remember any lines or any sense of presence and their story didn't have the emotional impact on me that it seemed to have with others. It was just a really bland character IMO. Second would maybe be the politician dude. I actually think he's entertaining and I like his design... but what the hell is he doing in that case? Him and the helicopter girl felt stylistically out of place for the scenario. I don't mind the girl as much because I can get behind there being some kid with an active imagination in their home, but she loses points for being a Vera Misham 2.0 in "Apollo Justice 2". I feel like you can tell the writers said "Okay, this is Apollo's final act like Phoenix's in T&T! We have to look at what was done in AJAA" and they just ended up reusing a theme of 4-4 the same way.
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney

The imagination justifies the pimp

To paraphrase everyone's answer: The monk is a dick

That's said, I hate Retinz but for all the reasons intended. I have to say that I don't easily hate an amazing villain, but Retinz managed to pull that off pretty damn well. He's the most evil character in the series and he's not even the final boss. And I feel that's because compared to most big bads in AA, he's relatable.

Not everyone can easily fall for the schemes of a prosecutor, police chief, ambassador, or a queen, but lots of people, especially nowadays are exposed to social media, which is Retinz's greatest weapon. He can do some real stupid slandery shit and anyone would believe him because they care about what he does.

I severely doubt the common crowd in the AA world really care that much about Manfred or Gant in comparison considering they're not exactly public figures who speak to the big crowd very often. That's why Retinz feel genuinely threatening for me, and that's a great thing for a villain.

Not sure if this actually counts, but...

Spoiler: 6-6
Edgeworth's portrayal here really rubbed me the wrong way.

Too OOC, especially since I'd just seen him as his more-legitimate self right before this (6-5).

Yabba Dabba Doo

Smithee wrote:
Not sure if this actually counts, but...

Spoiler: 6-6
Edgeworth's portrayal here really rubbed me the wrong way.

Too OOC, especially since I'd just seen him as his more-legitimate self right before this (6-5).

Spoiler: 6-S
Agreed, especially since he seemed fine during the investigation. Maybe he's still being characterized to still be a try-hard prosecutor (See 5-5) but even then it feels odd.

Anyway, the Case 3 culprit sucked balls.

Happy Maria

All the returnees from 6-6 act off character one way or another, but Edgeworth's pretty bad by himself.

It's very strange because despite some oddities in AAI1 here and there they mostly handled Edgeworth right in those games I thought but in DD and SoJ he just doesn't feel like he's the Edgeworth you know I don't think. They really didn't nail him as the rival character and I guess maybe that's the problem. They get how to write him when he's just discussing stuff with Nick during the case or small talk but when they have to do that "Wright vs Edgeworth" chemistry in court they fail at it. I thought 6-6 treated him better than 5-5 though. That was particularly disappointing I thought.

Having Amara be revealed as a goddess-like figure and then be super menacing when you oppose her and then seeing her realize that she lurrves her husband is really stupid. You cannot do that with a character you meet in the same day in court. You just can't. This change in character takes place over the course of maybe two or three hours at most. The dramatic reveal of seeing Nahyuta realize that Amara is alive feels blunted as well though I cannot remember how. The rather precipitous drop in tension was...not good

I maintain that Dhurke is annoying

I think that's it. I have positive reactions to many of the characters in this game, besides Nahyuta (not properly differentiated) and Rayfa (way to steal Maya's thunder, even if I still like her somewhat and her development was amazing)
vroom vroom!

What did he do this time...?

Metal Gear Acid Trip wrote:
Having Amara be revealed as a goddess-like figure and then be super menacing when you oppose her and then seeing her realize that she lurrves her husband is really stupid. You cannot do that with a character you meet in the same day in court. You just can't. This change in character takes place over the course of maybe two or three hours at most. The dramatic reveal of seeing Nahyuta realize that Amara is alive feels blunted as well though I cannot remember how. The rather precipitous drop in tension was...not good

I maintain that Dhurke is annoying

I think that's it. I have positive reactions to many of the characters in this game, besides Nahyuta (not properly differentiated) and Rayfa (way to steal Maya's thunder, even if I still like her somewhat and her development was amazing)

I think you're right, Amara had the potential to be more... she went from disguised as Nayna for just one witness testimony, gets revealed, tries to blame Dhurke, and then is basically executed on the witness stand. Everything happens very fast, maybe too fast.

Perhaps this case would have been better if it had extended to two days long? I'm not sure what exactly would happen during the second investigation phase, but the second day in court would start with the now-revealed Amara testifying right after learning of Dhurke's death, then she gets shot and the queen's true nature is revealed (instead of revealing that ridiculous outfit right at the start of the trial!). Maybe that bloats the case too much, but maybe you spin off the first half (the civil trial) as Case 5 and the rest becomes Case 6.
Want to play my custom-made Ace Attorney case made on Ace Attorney Online? (you must be using Firefox to run it)
Turnabout Destiny

Nurio wrote:
JesusMonroe wrote:
My general rule of transformations is "if I can't see the pre-transformation and post-transformation as the same character, I don't like it."

That's a good way to put it, and I agree. As long as you still feel like you're dealing with the same person, it's all good. (Exceptions are the times it literally isn't the same person or identity.)

I only give DD-DLC's character a free pass because... while he might have a good story, he has a rather silly design (the good kind) and his transformation is that silliness taken to another extreme and also part of the joy of that transformation is exactly in how it's basically not the same character lol.

But the same thing couldn't be said for 6-5's biggest transformation. I think the problem there was we barely got to know the original form before they just become completely different. Then the culprit was basically revealed right then and there and the rest of the case became like I-5's culprit confrontation: dragging on for eternity and removing any doubt in the player's mind and this took away from a series of decent emotional payoffs throughout the rest of the case. I thought this really sucked the suspense out of the entire latter portion of 6-5.
Page 2 of 2 [ 66 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » Kingdom of Khura'in (GS6)