Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby

Page 1 of 1[ 22 posts ]

(Spoilers) Calculating the Jail TimeTopic%20Title

The miracle never happen

(WARNING: Contains spoilers for every main series game other than Spirit of Justice, tread lightly.)

So I was on the discord and I was having a discussion about how much time the villains of AA would spend rotting behind bars, and I got the GENIUS idea to start a thread calculating the amount of time every main series villain would spend behind bars, to the best of my ability that is, for now I'll do only the big baddies, I'll probably update this thread as time goes by with the specifics with the less important villains.

(WARNING: My law experience is mostly non-existent, the conclusions I come to are due to excessive amounts of research, so take this whole thread with a grain of salt.)

Let's begin by listing the names of the villains currently in this thread:
Spoiler: PW:AA-DD
-Manfred von Karma
-Damon Gant
-Matt Engarde
-Diego Armando/Godot
-Kristoph Gavin
-The Phantom

Great, now that the role call is over with, let's get down to the reason this thread even exists.

Spoiler: Manfred von Karma
This guy is gonna be a pain, he's committed so many crimes over his career that I'm not even sure I can list all of them, therefore I'll be limiting myself only to the crimes resulted from the DL-6 incident and Turnabout Goodbyes.

Now, the very first thing Manfred is guilty of is the murder of Gregory Edgeworth, this would be considered second degree murder, that alone could net him 15 years to life in prison, so already it's not starting off very well for everyone's favorite demon prosecutor.

That's it for DL-6, now onto the events of Turnabout Goodbyes...

So the first crime committed during these events would be the obvious soliciting murder, by sending that letter to Yanni Yogi, Manfred just sentenced himself to a maximum of 9 years behind bars for this crime alone.

I'm assuming that retraining Polly the Parrot is probably a crime, but I don't have the knowledge to determine which crime it would be... Sorry about that, however, I can tell you with certainty that destroying the DL-6 case file is a serious crime, being a Prosecutor destroying evidence relevant to his case would net him 2-5 years in state prison, the tasering of Phoenix and Maya would give him two assault and battery charges, one for Phoenix, one for Maya,
So that's 2 years in county jail for the assault misdemeanor, and another 2 for the battery. So that's 4 years for the tasering.

Manfred would then face another 5 years for perjury, lying in court is unsurprisingly looked down upon. Obstruction of justice would also be a major charge, punishable by up to 10 years.

So all in all, that's not too bad, Manfred isn't responsible for that many offenses, let's take a look at the final results.

Maximum Sentence: One life sentence, and an aditional 33 years on top of that.

Unfortunately for Manfred, he never served out more than a couple years of this long sentence, RIP Manfred. :headbang:

Spoiler: Damon Gant
Damon Gant, everyone's favorite swimmer!
This guy is absolute scum, so let's see how many crimes he's responsible for.

Whoo boy, let's see, SL-9 alone gives him 5 years for framing Ema Skye, and another 5 for framing Darke, the second degree murder of Neil Marshall is 15 to life, the tampering with evidence is another 5 years, blackmailing Lana Skye is a nice big 20 year sentence.

And look at that, 2 years later, another second degree murder, meaning another 15 years minimum, or a second life sentence maximum, 5 years for the tampering with the evidence and crime scene, 5 years for withholding evidence from the SL-9 incident, threatening Miles Edgeworth is 5 more years, the perjury is once again 5 years, obstruction of justice for an extra 10 years, let's take a look at just how much time Damon Gant would be put away for in his worst case scenario.

Maximum Sentence: Two back to back life sentences, with an additional 65 years.

Now that's what I call a double whammy! :zap: Seriously, that's a lot of time to spend behind bars, I doubt Damon's getting out any time soon unless he were to ESCAPE FROM F***ING PRISON!

Spoiler: Matt Engarde
Matt Engarde! :psycho-matt: The guy who played everyone!

Let's start with the obvious, hiring Shelly, hiring a hitman lands you two felony charges, conspiracy to commit murder, and first degree murder, as we all know, first degree murder is a nice 20 to life sentence, and I'm sure Matt Engarde will be happy to hear that conspiracy to commit murder is a nice fat LIFE SENTENCE!

Using a webcam to spy on Juan Corrida's room would be an extra 3 years, blackmailing Shelly with the contents of what he recorded is 20 years, he would also be charged with perjury for lying on the stand, 5 years, obstruction of justice too, which is punishable by up to 10 years.

So let's see just how much time our good friend will get.

Maximum Sentence: Two back to back life sentences, with 38 additional years once he's done with those.

Fortunately for everyone here, Mr. Bond villain won't be getting out any time soon. :scratch:

Spoiler: Diego Armando
Next up is the tragic "villain" known as Diego Armando, I only hope he will find it in his heart for forgive me for calling him a villain.

Fortunately, Godot isn't exactly guilty of very much, killing Misty Fey is a classic case of a justifiable homicide, Misty Fey was currently channeling Dahlia, and had she not been stopped, Maya Fey would have been killed, therefore Godot would spend zero years behind bars for this crime.

However, he made the mistake of not remembering the simple fact that he could simply stop here and call the police and spend no time behind bars.
This mistake made Godot commit three crimes, tampering with evidence, perjury, and obstruction of justice. 5 years for tampering, 5 years for perjury, and 10 years for obstruction.

Thankfully, the sentence I'm about to give is an absolute worst case scenario, it's unlikely that even if found guilty of all 3 of these crimes, Godot would ever have to serve a sentence this long.

Maximum Sentence: 20 years.

All in all, not that bad :godot: , 20 years may seem like a lot, but for a maximum sentence, that's quiet low.

Spoiler: Kristoph Gavin
Now, it's time to take a look at the devil himself, Kristoph Gavin. :pft:

The very first crime, the forgery that was given to Phoenix Wright, that piece of evidence alone would have given 3 years to Mr. Gavin, next we have the planting of poison inside of Vera Misham's nail polish, that's attempted murder right there, which is a life sentence by the way, the postage stamp left on the letter is the first degree of murder of Drew Misham, which is also a life sentence.

Then comes the murder of "Shadi Smith" aka Zak Gramarye, which is ANOTHER first degree murder, meaning once again, a life sentence, tampering with the crime scene gives him another 5, years the perjury and obstruction give him 5 and 10 years respectively, and once Vera Misham is found innocent, if Kristoph is found guilty in his own trial, he will be faced once again with perjury and obstruction, meaning once again 15 years.

Let's just how long this piece of human trash would get behind bars, shall we?

Maximum Sentence: 3 back to back life sentences, along with 38 years.

That's one long god damned sentence, I sure as hell wouldn't wanna be Kristoph right about now, at this point he'd probably be pursued with the death penalty, I'd laugh like a maniac if I were him too. :Kristoph-hair:

Spoiler: The Phantom
Now for the lamest of all these wonderful baddies, let's have a look at The Phantom! :justice:

I can only account for the known crimes he has committed, though it's likely that this guy's been contracted for more than what we saw in DD, so this one might not be very accurate (Then again, the others probably aren't very accurate either amirite? :godot: )

So this guy blew up a rocket, that right there is a felony that could land you up to 7 years behind bars, followed by the first degree murder of Metis Cykes, that's a life sentence, the tampering of the crime scene is an easy 5 years.

Now this is gonna be the fun part: Identity theft! Felony identity theft carries up to a 15 year sentence, meaning that if he had 15 years for every single known stolen identity, we're talking about a LOT of time, his breakdown shows that he stole the identities of at least 11 people, meaning 165 years in prison!

It is also likely that the Phantom murdered Bobby Fulbright, likely in the first degree, meaning another life sentence.

He also detonated two more bombs during the HAT-2 rocket launch, meaning about 14 years added to the sentence, he murdered Clay Terran this is second degree murder, 15 years to life, tampering with the crime scene, 5 years, and framing Solomon Starbuck, another 5, the attempted murder of Yuri Cosmos lands him another life sentence.

To prevent the evidence from getting out, the Phantom blew up a courtroom, this is an easy 7 years, however, since there was no attempt to harm anyone, he couldn't be charged with anything other than the exploding of a device resulting in injury. However, since the explosion was meant to conceal evidence, this could count as tampering evidence, meaning another 5 years, 3 years for the forgery of the evidence against Athena, and finally, the usual perjury and obstruction, 15 years.

This guy is not your run of the mill criminal, he's definitely deserving of the chair, multiple counts of first degree, murder, bombing, identity theft, I mean he doesn't screw around.

Maximum (?) Sentence: 4 life sentences back to back, and a whopping 231 additional years.

I guess the Phantom takes the cake for the longest time spent behind bars, and if this isn't deserving of capital punishment, I sure as hell don't know what is, I mean the guy's terrified of death, yet he doesn't mind being arrested... What the hell is he thinking?

So this concludes my 10/10 beautiful analysis of the amount of time these villains would spend behind bars, did I miss anything? Is my post grossly inaccurate? Do you want to simply be amazed at how the punishments for these people seems to get higher every game? Whatever the case may be, comment if you have anything to say.
"There is but one last shred of cheer for a soul far beyond redemption: The bitter darkness that lies at the very bottom of this mug."
-Diego Armando
Re: (Spoilers) Calculating the Jail TimeTopic%20Title

The imagination justifies the pimp

Spoiler: Spirit of Justice main villain
Too bad Ga'ran's not here, but I guess that's what happens when your law is so messed up it gets rewritten every minute.

The miracle never happen

Dynakirby63 wrote:
Spoiler: Spirit of Justice main villain
Too bad Ga'ran's not here, but I guess that's what happens when your law is so messed up it gets rewritten every minute.

Spoiler: Spirit of Justice Main Villain
I thought about adding Ga'ran, but the fact that the legal system is broken as shit, and that the spoiler rule's not been lifted, I thought it'd be better not to.

"There is but one last shred of cheer for a soul far beyond redemption: The bitter darkness that lies at the very bottom of this mug."
-Diego Armando

Happy Maria

I do think it's time the spoiler rules be lifted,but that's another story.

I'm really surprised at the total number of life sentences,lol. Especially how they slowly increase. The only one who COULD legally get out of jail is Godot,probably.

The miracle never happen

Southern Corn (SC) wrote:
I do think it's time the spoiler rules be lifted,but that's another story.

I'm really surprised at the total number of life sentences,lol. Especially how they slowly increase. The only one who COULD legally get out of jail is Godot,probably.

Yeah, other than Godot, the sentence keeps getting bigger and bigger each game, at this rate AA7 will somehow manage to have like 5 life sentences
-Diego Armando

Happy Maria

Also,minor question-where are the AAI main villains? I feel

Spoiler: AAI1&2
Alba and Keyes would have a lot of time on their hands.

The imagination justifies the pimp

Southern Corn (SC) wrote:
Also,minor question-where are the AAI main villains? I feel

Alba and Keyes would have a lot of time on their hands.

We know from another post that Keyes has roughly 10 to 20 years in jail, So Alba if I had to guess, probably has at least four life sentences (Hired Manny to kill Cece, Mack to kill Deid, and Callisto to kill Mack and Byrne. Giving about 80 years.) One more for killing Manny on second-degree which adds 15 more years, the murder of DeMasque II can still be passed off as third-degree since we don't know if he intentionally killed him or not. Otherwise, second-degree, one more 15 years.

And then of course, he got Amano tampering with evidence and abstracting justice on KG-8, adding 15 more years.

As for his role as ringleader, smuggling counts for 20 years each and counterfeiting counts for 15 years each. From what we gathered in game, he was involved in at least two smuggling cases, the Alif Red statue and the counterfeiting plates in the fake Primdux statue. That makes two smuggles and one counterfeiting, making 55 years.

Maximum Sentence: Six life sentences plus 70 years, totaling up to 180 years in prison.

Unless Alba really is a tree, I doubt he'd outlive that sentence to see the light of freedom (Insert Alba smiley here)

Last edited by Bolting Shaman on Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I'm not trying to start a huge debate here or anything but I definitely think what Godot did would be considered premeditated murder. He even admitted that when he teamed up with Elise and Iris, he knew that it might come to that

Sure, he was saving Maya, but he even admitted that that didn't matter much regarding why he did it. And the person he killed was not the person who was putting Maya in danger (directly)

At the very least he's gonna get slammed with a conspiracy to commit charge

The video game boy; the one who wins

What legal system is this based on?

Spoiler:

I think that's more likely than premeditated murder. He didn't specifically plan to kill her, although he admitted it was considered a plan B from the get-go. It would probably also be a mitigating circumstance that Elise herself was in on the plan and aware of the risk, that and Iris and Maya could tesitfy that he was, ultimately, protecting Maya, of course one could also argue that he knowingly let Maya into a dangerous situation, but that might be hard to prove, that it could have been prevented from taking place at all, I mean.
(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)

JesusMonroe wrote:
I'm not trying to start a huge debate here or anything but I definitely think what Godot did would be considered premeditated murder. He even admitted that when he teamed up with Elise and Iris, he knew that it might come to that

Sure, he was saving Maya, but he even admitted that that didn't matter much regarding why he did it. And the person he killed was not the person who was putting Maya in danger (directly)

^

This tbh.

I don't get why many people forget the fact that he purposely didn't get rid of the letter Morgan gave Pearl, so that Maya could be endagered and he could act like he was some sort of hero saving her.

Going for Miles wrote:
of course one could also argue that he knowingly let Maya into a dangerous situation, but that might be hard to prove, that it could have been prevented from taking place at all, I mean.

He admitted that in court. He said that he found the infamous letter, read it, but left it there, despite having the chance to destroy it.

Back on topic: the original plan was to have Misty channel Dahlia (all night long, I guess) and Godot preventing Dahlia/Misty from hurting Maya (maybe he would've tied Misty up with a rope or a pair of handcuffs). But then Godot, seeing Dahlia's figure in the dark, flew into a fit of rage and killed her.

So, it wasn't premeditated murder, but I'm pretty sure that it could at least be considered a second-degree murder.

Gregory... Tomorrow, I'm heading towards that fateful place with your son. To find out the truth of 18 years ago...

The miracle never happen

So to answer everyone's questions, first off, the legal system I'm basing this off is the California state laws, I thought it would be fitting since it's the closest thing to Japanifornia other than Japan.

And about the Godot thing, even if he knew it might come down to him having to kill someone, he wouldn't be charged with conspiracy unless he absolutely knew or had reason to believe that Dahlia would try to kill someone, as in, unless he heard Dahlia herself say she was going to kill someone in due time for him to report it to the police, he would be charged with conspiracy.
However, Dahlia never stated intent to kill anyone, and due to the whole spirit channeling thing, I don't think I'm going to find any real world laws that would prove that Morgan's plan was to murder Maya Fey beyond a shadow of a doubt, it's obvious that it was the intent, but there's no evidence, all Morgan did was give a letter to Pearl saying to channel Dahlia.

So unless the prosecution could prove that Godot knew a murder would definitely happen, he wouldn't be charged with conspiracy, and since Iris, Misty, and Godot's plan didn't originally involve killing anyone, he can't be charged for conspiracy on that front.

Hopefully this makes sense and my lack of writing skills don't show too much.

EDIT: And to add to what Slammer said, it wouldn't be considered second-degree murder due to the mitigating circumstance of Maya being in danger, no matter what the intent is, had Godot not killed Dahlia, Maya would be dead, and it would therefore be considered a justifiable homicide.
-Diego Armando

It mostly depends on what Godot himself says. He laid it out clearly in 3-5, but in his own trial it might be a different story. He and Iris definitely planned and committed crimes together, but there's not much proof when it comes to intentions. The most annoying part of the puzzle is Godot's negligence when it comes to letting it happen at all when he definitely could have prevented it from happening (getting rid of the note to Pearl, based on what he said himself), but that really can't be proven, especially not since Morgan could have, theoretically, let Pearl know in some other way had he done so. And he has good chances for rehabilitation. If he behaves well in prison he should get out of there after not a too long time (although that's merely speculation on my part, I know jack shit about neither California's nor Japan's law when it comes to that)

Kessler wrote:
EDIT: And to add to what Slammer said, it wouldn't be considered second-degree murder due to the mitigating circumstance of Maya being in danger, no matter what the intent is, had Godot not killed Dahlia, Maya would be dead, and it would therefore be considered a justifiable homicide.

Even if Godot admitted he let that whole dangerous situation happen? I don't know, you may be right, it's just that Godot was not proud of what he did, and I felt he was willing to pay for it when revealing the full background of the case.

Gregory... Tomorrow, I'm heading towards that fateful place with your son. To find out the truth of 18 years ago...

But what does it mean, legally speaking, to "let a dangeorus situation happen"? Is there an element of law concerning that? Negligence of some sort, maybe? Still I find it hard to see how it would be proven. Yes, he can admit that he deliberately let the situation happen without doing enough about it, but we can't say beyond reasonable doubt that it wouldn't have happened anyway even if he'd hid or destroyed the note.

The miracle never happen

Going for Miles wrote:
But what does it mean, legally speaking, to "let a dangeorus situation happen"? Is there an element of law concerning that? Negligence of some sort, maybe? Still I find it hard to see how it would be proven. Yes, he can admit that he deliberately let the situation happen without doing enough about it, but we can't say beyond reasonable doubt that it wouldn't have happened anyway even if he'd hid or destroyed the note.

And even then, in most of the United States, citizens are not legally required to report potential crimes.
-Diego Armando

Going for Miles wrote:

Eh, I'm not so sure. As Kessler said, the letter didn't specify that Morgan's intention was to have Dahlia kill Maya. So, from a legal standpoint, there wouldn't be any sort of negligence from Godot: there wasn't any crime (or even potential crime) to report to the police.

And in that case, there's nothing to prove that he knew something that dangerous was going to take place and let it happen anyway. And if that's so, then I'd say that aspect of his actions can pretty much be ruled out when it comes to his eventual trial.

Can someone explain to me what's the point of having more than a life sentence? I mean, life sentence implies that you'll be spending the rest of your life in prison. How can you spend longer than that, let alone multiple life sentences? Is it some smug holier-than-thou way of saying "yeah, you aren't ever gonna see the light of day again" or just something else entirely? I'm not from America, so I don't quite understand the point of it.

As someone on tvtropes put it: it's the judge's way of saying "screw you this much!" :sahwit:

Racing through the sky like a Missile

It's an archaic reminder of history when people's sentences would be passed onto their offspring as well. Obviously, it doesn't apply any more, so it doesn't make sense to keep it, but there are lots of things USA keeps despite not needing it. *looking at DST*
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

Wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey...

I'm kinda wondering how long...
Spoiler: T&T
Iris would be stuck in jail.

I'm just disappointed she hasn't even been mentioned, not even obliquely, since Apollo Justice. Not that I expect her and Nick to be an official couple. Capcom's made it fairly clear they don't intend to give him a significant other anytime soon. However, given how important she used to be to Nick, I'm just surprised she hasn't been brought up.

TheDoctor wrote:
I'm kinda wondering how long...
Spoiler: T&T
Iris would be stuck in jail.

I'm just disappointed she hasn't even been mentioned, not even obliquely, since Apollo Justice. Not that I expect her and Nick to be an official couple. Capcom's made it fairly clear they don't intend to give him a significant other anytime soon. However, given how important she used to be to Nick, I'm just surprised she hasn't been brought up.

Spoiler:
Considering she "only" conspired in covering up a murder, I'd say that by now (SOJ) she's out of prison. Though, it's very unlikely she will be ever brought up again, unless they suddenly decide to give Phoenix the spotlight (which also is pretty unlikely to happen, since they have Athena's character to develop).

If anything, Takumi should've given Phoenix and Iris more moments together in T&T, which I also think were somewhat lacking, considering the relevance of their past relationship.

Page 1 of 1 [ 22 posts ] 

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby