Board index » General » Trial Minutes

Page 1 of 1[ 26 posts ]

Dai Gyakuten Saiban 2 - Launch TrailerTopic%20Title

元・超会社員級の管理人

"Never forget - even a Great Detective tells lies..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6oclCrPyNo

Subs will be added later tonight. (Or if anyone wants to translate now, I won't be able to add them for a few hours, so... :payne: )

If you want to go in blind, this is probably a good time to dive, since the trailer hits at least four of the cases.
Hi! I've largely stepped back from C-R due to life stuff. Please contact one of the other staff members for help!

Wooster wrote:
If there was such a thing as the "Wooster Seal of Approval", this post would get it.
Re: Dai Gyakuten Saiban 2 - Launch TrailerTopic%20Title

Happy Maria

*dives in*

Sorry guys, but that's as far as I'm going to see for now. 4 cases is just a little too much for me.

A Little Biographer

Okay, hello everyone! I'm not going to translate the voiced lines since I suppose Bolt's already have that covered, but I really wanted to take a crack at the text - for my own interest mostly - so here they are! (Disclaimer: there were some lines I wasn't very sure on, partly due to my ability and partly due to the lack of context. Sorry if I made some mistakes!)

Spoiler:
Produced carefully by Capcom Co., Ltd.

------ The end of the 19th century, From the Empire of Japan to British Empire ------

Miraculous encounters

Strange cases

Checkered destinies

------ And, now. The story begins once again ------

Dai Gyakuten Saiban 2

"Objection!"

Naruhodou Ryuutarou // Mikotoba Susato

...There is nothing as vexing as being born as a woman.

Haori: "I... didn't do it."

The agonies of death flying! The scarlet blood scattering! Souseki who releases a crab! The detective with a turtle on his head!

Souseki: "I am... Yes. The future great writer that will make a noise in the imperial capital... ! That man with! "Wagahai wa Neko de aru"! Serializing with great reviews! Natsume Souseki!"

That is because the <victim> of this incident is... "that person", perhaps.

Susato: "Ah. I (watashi)... No! I (boku)...... Yes! I (ore) am that Naruhodou!"

There was no <justice> in the news.

Judge: "...Today. What will be judged in this courtroom, is a very important case to our country."

Incident, immediately, in prison! Surely, I will be arrested!

The second incident that tormented me. That <Ghost in the Lodging> incident...

Naruhodou Ryuunosuke

...The first thing I sensed was "someone's gaze"... As if, someone was watching me constantly.

Naruhodou: "T... This is..."

This is what wakes me up in the following morning!! Is it not "the early bird gets the worm'!! An absolutely heavy loss!

Souseki: "Exactly! I am my tea are <innocent> and <harmless>!"
Gregson: "...On the contrary, not a chance."

A bath, a toilet, a fireplace, [iwakutsuki]. ...Somehow, it is deluxe, is it not!

Sherlock: "What happened in this room last night... First, let us <observe> the victim's body."

At this point, what comes to my mind... there is, only one.

van Zieks: "...It appears from that state of affairs, there didn't seem to be any abnormalities."

"She had a 'purpose' that we are not aware of..."
"There was 'something' perplexing if Susato were to remain in England."
"Henceforth I never stood at the prosecution bench ever again. ...Until you appeared in London, that is."
"You cannot turn this incident into a 'novel'... Absolutely not."
"...<Reaper>... huh. I'd like to see its 'true face' one day."
"There isn't a single person who knows of their face."
"...I'd like to fulfill that 'promise' now."
"If that was the moment of betrayal... It would mean to taste that hell-like bitterness once again..." (Alternate translation: "If that were to betray me..." Context is a jerk)
"I feel as if, the 'causality' of the past is being led in the imperial capital by those people."

Iris Watson

"World Fair"... "scientific experiment"... "accident"... and, "murder"

Dobinbough: "B-B-B-By any chance. I-I-I-Is it that! You'll be the defense for my theory!?"

That hand-made <identification> stings my eyes...

Gina: "...Yeah. People call me... 'Inspector Lestrade', after all!"

They did have a strange "connection" with the <Reaper>.

Shisu: "Our duty is to <inspect>. ...Not to produce a <conclusion>."

That is true... Something might have "changed" since meeting you.

van Zieks: "This <technology>, which no one has seen before until now, will become the point of contention."

The masses, they love stimulation. ...Even if it were slightly in bad taste.

Holmes: "...Could you open the <curtain> slightly and allow us to peer into it?"

Sherlock Holmes

...At any rate. Behind that defense attorney, is me, after all.

Gina: "It's an incident... Help me, Holmes!"

...People like defense attorneys... They're comrades of scoundrels who ally themselves with these scoundrels.

Gossip: "We saw it all. The moment those guys went into the apartment!"

It is precisely because I'm a foreigner, that I can see things. ...This is what I think.

Iris: "It would've been nice to call Greggy over too--"

Tomorrow's great court, will surely become a trial recorded in the law history of our country.

Vortex: "...The only one who sees the future of scientific investigation in this country, is me."

Barok van Zieks

------ The interlocked turnabouts, finally reach a grand truth ------

[Here's the part where they throw a lot of text at you in rapid pace, meaning I couldn't get all of the text boxes lol. Sorry]
???: "......"
van Zieks: "Why I... despise the Japanese. What do you think of that?"
Naruhodou: "That guy's 'true intention'... it was possibly something else."
Hosonaga: "Why on earth would she have killed Dr Watson...?"
Payne: "That female student stabbed for the sake of revenge. Every fact is screaming that."
Iris: "Alllright. Let's go, Nick Naruhodou-kun!"
[Aldamont]: "............Is that so? The person at the business office......"

Dai Gyakuten Saiban 2 -The Resolve of Naruhodou Ryuunosuke-

------ All of the <mysteries> will now be resolved ------

Last edited by JaakuFrost on Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Woah, a lot of stuff on this trailer, especially at the end... for example, why is the mysterious man besides Barok in court?! I knew they would be related somehow, but that was not what I expected at all....
Signature loading, please wait...

元・超会社員級の管理人

Subs have been added! Stuff in brackets is the text flying across the screen, not the stuff in the gameplay clips.
Hi! I've largely stepped back from C-R due to life stuff. Please contact one of the other staff members for help!

Wooster wrote:
If there was such a thing as the "Wooster Seal of Approval", this post would get it.

Ace Fangirl

Thanks so much for the subtitles! I'm super excited and quite a few questions are being raised here.

1) Iris mentioned it would've been nice to call Greggy over, implying that she can't. That strikes me as ominous foreshadowing.
2) The doctor woman mentions she's supposed to investigate, not reach a conclusion. I wonder if she's a forensic investigator or something. Vortex also mentions scientific investigations.
3) "I can't just watch from afar this time", this line from Holmes bugs me as well, because when has he watched from afar before? Does it have to do with Watson?
4) Did they basically confirm the journalist from case 1 is important? Was he perhaps trying to get the truth from Jezail about Watson's death? (because Hosonaga is also questioning Jezail's motives in a screenshot)
5) The fancy juror lady seems to be threatening Mieterman with her umbrella and if that's not fishy, nothing is.
6) THAT MASKED GUY....

迷探偵

Meowzy wrote:
3) "I can't just watch from afar this time", this line from Holmes bugs me as well, because when has he watched from afar before? Does it have to do with Watson?

I don't have time to check all of the lines, but that's not what Holmes said. Bolt probably couldn't make out the line because of the music, but Holmes says 「僕はね、今こう祈らずにいられないのです。今度ばかりは僕の推理が外れてくれ、とね」 / "Right now, I can only pray for one thing. That for once, my deductions turn out to be incorrect."
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

Ace Fangirl

Oh, I see what happened there. Japanese sure is a difficult language, sometimes. Okay, that makes Holmes far less suspicious.

Meowzy wrote:
5) The fancy juror lady seems to be threatening Mieterman with her umbrella and if that's not fishy, nothing is.

I mean, even the fact that she's showing up at the witness stand in the first place is suspicious, right?

And if we're going to talk about Holmes, then I've found him "weird" since when I realized how not-stupid he really is (case 2 basically shows he's way smarter than he makes himself be, in my opinion).

Last edited by Manecleis on Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ace Fangirl

Manecleis wrote:
Meowzy wrote:

I mean, even the fact that she's showing up at the witness stand in the first place is suspicious, right?

Oh definitely, but applying violent pressure to another witness when you yourself are supposed to 'judge' the case? That reeks.

It's true though that none of the other jurors who've acted as semi-witnesses with important information stepped down from their own seats.

Meowzy wrote:
Oh definitely, but applying violent pressure to another witness when you yourself are supposed to 'judge' the case? That reeks.

It's true though that none of the other jurors who've acted as semi-witnesses with important information stepped down from their own seats.

Yeah, she seems like an obvious suspect at this point. Though I'd like to see how the case go if
Spoiler: DGS1-4
the culprit turns out to be Viridian Green. Don't know how since her circumstances appear to make it impossible for her to carry out the crime, although death by poison doesn't require the person to actually be there when the victim dies, and I don't think it has been established yet if Viridian was either going to or coming from the Garrideb Lodgings that night.

In any case, I feel like a turnabout might be pulled off, somehow?

Wotter boy

Manecleis wrote:
Yeah, she seems like an obvious suspect at this point. Though I'd like to see how the case go if
Spoiler: DGS1-4
the culprit turns out to be Viridian Green. Don't know how since her circumstances appear to make it impossible for her to carry out the crime, although death by poison doesn't require the person to actually be there when the victim dies, and I don't think it has been established yet if Viridian was either going to or coming from the Garrideb Lodgings that night.

In any case, I feel like a turnabout might be pulled off, somehow?

Spoiler:
Either way, Viridian seems important to this case. She even got official art in the trailer :v

元・超会社員級の管理人

Ash wrote:
Meowzy wrote:

I don't have time to check all of the lines, but that's not what Holmes said. Bolt probably couldn't make out the line because of the music, but Holmes says 「僕はね、今こう祈らずにいられないのです。今度ばかりは僕の推理が外れてくれ、とね」 / "Right now, I can only pray for one thing. That for once, my deductions turn out to be incorrect."

Guh. In my defense, I was translating at the end of a 14-hour workday. At least I managed to get the actual sentence right... I just added something that wasn't there at all. :nick-sweat:

Thanks for the correction as always Ash.

Wooster wrote:

A Little Biographer

Actually, I think there's another one that was (understandably) misinterpreted? I had to listen to this particular line with my headphones to see if I myself heard right or not, but Iris's voiced dialogue starting at 1:48 sounds more like 「うう~ん、見たいよね、インチキ臭い実験!」[roughly: "Mmmm, I want to see some super-fishy experiments!"]

various notes/thoughts. feel free to ignore.
Spoiler:
I have never [before] felt such frustration as this at being born a woman. In other words, this is more a remark on her current plight than a general statement.
放る = "throw" more than "drop."
断末魔 is more like a death rattle than anything else. This line also needs a bit of magic to make it work in English. Perhaps consider "The death-cry slashed across the beach, and in its wake slashed blood. The crab I flung in fearful shock; the turtle-crown yet stood."
I cannot recommend enough translating the 目が泳ぐ bit more literally. You've turned a humorous moment into a very matter-of-fact one.
Similarly, while I really like your use journalism for 報道, "there was no justice in journalism" is more succinct, more quotable, and more accurate. Or maybe "The reporting spared no thought for justice"?
i really don't have a better idea for souseki's yoji stuff either besides FOUR SYLL-A-BLES but yeah >_>
iwakutuki: it's really just trying to say "how suggestive" here. The second half of this line should be "That seems plenty luxurious to me!" Perhaps a looser translation would do: "A bath, a toilet, and a fireplace? My word, it would seem that you abound in luxury."
この事件を小説に[...] sounds like Holmes speaking to Iris tbh.
jaaku is correct w.r.t. Iris's line.
2:19 is one idea--する is describing ワルモノ there. It reads to me like a rhetorical question, though without context/tone, it might be a simple statement.
I strongly feel that using "Oriental" instead of "Jap" is a mistake. We have nothing to suggest his antipathy spreads beyond Japan.

元・超会社員級の管理人

Thank you all for the suggestions/corrections - I put these together in the hour or so I had between getting back from work and having to get to sleep, so I understand they aren't in great shape yet, especially from a flow/phrasing perspective. I wasn't really happy with them myself but they got the job done. I'll try to fix them up tonight, but I'm sorry if I let people down with them.

Wooster wrote:

Deception&&contradiction

Spoiler: Answers?
What if the masked man is Aosugi on his undercover mission? That would be brilliant and the jawline matches.
And is that Benedicts' Sis?

Programmer

Meowzy wrote:

I know this is disproven as a bad translation already, but it would make a lot of sense for him to say it if my theory is correct.

Spoiler: The hound of Baskerville & DGS 5
In the original story Holmes secretly monitored John as John was protecting the target/investigating the mystery.

And curiously, two of the mysteries in DGS that are as of yet unsolved involve this very story. Specifically, why Holmes asked Iris to not publish this specific story and how Susato knew of the story despite it being unpublished.

It would make a lot of sense for Holmes to refer to this specific incident given that this sequel is gearing up towards making this incident an important flashback story.

Currently working on a redesign of cr.net itself! Come talk to me about it on Discord!

元・超会社員級の管理人

Dowolf wrote:
various notes/thoughts. feel free to ignore.
Spoiler:
I have never [before] felt such frustration as this at being born a woman. In other words, this is more a remark on her current plight than a general statement.
Yeah, I definitely got that sense of specificity, but somehow I couldn't capture it last night. Thanks for the fix up.
放る = "throw" more than "drop."
Just a good old brain fart here.
断末魔 is more like a death rattle than anything else. This line also needs a bit of magic to make it work in English. Perhaps consider "The death-cry slashed across the beach, and in its wake slashed blood. The crab I flung in fearful shock; the turtle-crown yet stood."
I actually tried to go for a clipped tone on purpose here, but I like your poetic translation much more.
I cannot recommend enough translating the 目が泳ぐ bit more literally. You've turned a humorous moment into a very matter-of-fact one.
Yeah, definitely. I couldn't think of a good translation last night, but I gave it a shot now.
Similarly, while I really like your use journalism for 報道, "there was no justice in journalism" is more succinct, more quotable, and more accurate. Or maybe "The reporting spared no thought for justice"?
This is a sentence I would love more context on, lol. I think your first take is better; the big question to me here is if this is talking about journalism in a grander sense or if it's about a certain piece of news (presumably Jezail's murder of Watson.)
i really don't have a better idea for souseki's yoji stuff either besides FOUR SYLL-A-BLES but yeah >_>
yeah fuck the yoji
iwakutuki: it's really just trying to say "how suggestive" here. The second half of this line should be "That seems plenty luxurious to me!" Perhaps a looser translation would do: "A bath, a toilet, and a fireplace? My word, it would seem that you abound in luxury."
Thanks for the catch, いわつき is a term I'm definitely not familiar with. That was a jisho punt, lol.
この事件を小説に[...] sounds like Holmes speaking to Iris tbh.
Mixed up この and その, lol. Thanks.
jaaku is correct w.r.t. Iris's line.
Yup. I heard 二回 instead of 見たい.
2:19 is one idea--する is describing ワルモノ there. It reads to me like a rhetorical question, though without context/tone, it might be a simple statement.
Yeah, you're probably right here. Last night I was so preoccupied with "is the statement literal or someone asking the question" that I completely missed that する was describing ワルモノ.
I strongly feel that using "Oriental" instead of "Jap" is a mistake. We have nothing to suggest his antipathy spreads beyond Japan.
Yeah, I've been waffling all over the place on this one. Obviously Oriental is too broad, but Jap carries such a sharp context these days I worried about people misunderstanding its use here. Ultimately I added a long comment to the YT video about the issue, in part because I feel it's a good chance to remind people that DGS portrays racism negatively and that's not what's blocking it from coming over.

Just wanted to respond to these since you took the time to write them up! I went ahead and added responses in the quote.

Thanks again!

Wooster wrote:

Quote:
Yeah, I've been waffling all over the place on this one. Obviously Oriental is too broad, but Jap carries such a sharp context these days I worried about people misunderstanding its use here. Ultimately I added a long comment to the YT video about the issue, in part because I feel it's a good chance to remind people that DGS portrays racism negatively and that's not what's blocking it from coming over.

Just to talk shop about this for a moment here, I think it's really important to preserve that sense of racism because it plays into a lot of the game's major themes. The real question is: is Jap the correct word to use to convey that racism? While the word did actually exist in the late 19th century, it didn't take on its modern connotations until WWII. Of course, we aren't writing for a 19th-century audience; we're writing for a modern audience, and we know the reaction the modern audience will take to our word choice. But it still feels a bit inauthentic...

I wonder how regular authors deal with words like "negro" and "gay" in period pieces, words whose meaning and connotation have similarly shifted.

Ace Fangirl

So what was the term they used more commonly back then? Is it Oriental after all, or something else?

No idea. There may not have even been a standard epithet.

It's clear who the masked prosecutor is, because he is:

Spoiler:
Asougi or his brother.

Why? Because the mask bears the Asougi family seal.

Pay attention to the watermark of the Asougi family seal to the right of the last image.

whitecow602 wrote:

Spoiler:
Asougi or his brother.

Pay attention to the watermark of the Asougi family seal to the right of the last image.

Seems really obvious, so I guess these scenes take place in the past?

Lusankya wrote:
whitecow602 wrote:

Spoiler:
Asougi or his brother.

Seems really obvious, so I guess these scenes take place in the past?

Spoiler:
he might have faked his death,
as we never saw his body on the steamboat as Naruhodou

Ace Fangirl

I'm still thinking

Spoiler:
It's Asougi's father, since this guy has been vaguely referenced to in the first game if I recall correctly.
Page 1 of 1 [ 26 posts ] 

Board index » General » Trial Minutes