Board index » General » Trial Minutes

Page 2 of 2[ 50 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2

Re: Kotaku UK rumor: new AA, AA123 and AA456 for Switch in 2Topic%20Title

Programmer

New engine? After they've just stopped making new ones for each game? Yeah, no.
Currently working on a redesign of cr.net itself! Come talk to me about it on Discord!

Yabba Dabba Doo

It’s really unlikely, but if it’s on Switch I could conceivably see them making a new engine. It’s really early for a new game if that’s true though.

Blah!

I don't think a new engine would really benefit a game like AA when it's already in 3D and is capable of porting to other platforms like smartphones. It's probably more likely that they'll iterate on the current engine, adding in whatever they need for the new gimmicks of the game, using higher quality models (probably won't need many engine changes for that), and making optimizations for the Switch.

This assumes that they'll continue the normal gameplay formula for AA and not do something crazy like going open world or something else that the current engine wasn't designed for.

But given the amount of time between SoJ and this, it's likely they don't plan on using a new engine since that's far from a trivial task.

What's a Court Records?

I can understand why it uses different engines on different consoles but it does make me a little worried. Will more effort go into the engine than the story? I sure hope not.
Why am I even here?

YouTube Twitter Tumblr Steam Discord

Blah!

I didn't really say that at all; I'm pretty sure DD and SoJ share the same game engines on both 3DS and smartphones, just with different lower level stuff (see: what middleware is). Besides, the writing team would hardly be involved with that part of the game development, unless issues resulting in cut features arise.

元・超会社員級の管理人

All the 3DS AA games run on versions of the MT Framework, Capcom's main internal engine. We know from Monster Hunter X and the phone re-releases that they've already got a pipeline for porting 3DS MT Framework games to Switch and iOS.

Unless there was some major change in the game that necessitated an engine switch - and frankly it's hard to imagine what that would look like - the new AA will be on MT Framework.
Hi! I've largely stepped back from C-R due to life stuff. Please contact one of the other staff members for help!

Wooster wrote:
If there was such a thing as the "Wooster Seal of Approval", this post would get it.

Happy Maria

Probably fake, yeah.

TBH I'm pretty surprised at how fast these AA games have been coming out recently. I just hope it doesn't affect their quality in any way.

Ace Fangirl

Bolt Storm wrote:
Unless there was some major change in the game that necessitated an engine switch - and frankly it's hard to imagine what that would look like - the new AA will be on MT Framework.

Oh lord, I'm reminded of that 'open world Ace Attorney' thing that someone mentioned earlier. Hilarious. With a Phoenix-bike-riding minigame. "Get to the courthouse in time for the trial!"

Blah!

I'd imagine the Ace Attorney-specific stuff built on top of MT Framework would also remain the same or iterated upon rather than reworked. If they suddenly did a weird genre switch, they may be able to keep using MT Framework but would need to rework tons of game-specific logic. That's kind of silly to think of though.

Wotter boy

Honestly, "open world" Ace Attorney is what I imagined Ace Attorney Investigations was gonna be like.
Page 2 of 2 [ 50 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2

Board index » General » Trial Minutes