Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby

Page 9 of 10[ 366 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Re: Unpopular Opinions You Have On AATopic%20Title

Enoshima Junko-chan!

True. I like cases like 4-3 and 5-2 because the attorneys are dealing with characters they've never met before and they get involved in those characters' lives. For example, Jinxie smiling at the end of 5-2 is a nice moment.

AJ seems to be the exception because when I look at the first game there are three cases in which Phoenix has some personal stake in.

Then you also get cases like 3-5 and 5-5 where the game tries to give everyone a personal stake in.

The video game boy; the one who wins

Precisely, and 4-3 and 5-2 specifically I think are generally a bit underappreciated. I mean, I'm as sick of Guitar's serenade (and hey, did you realize the murder followed the lyrics? let's take it line for line and see!) as anyone else, but all in all, I really enjoyed it. And 5-2 I don't really see a problem with, it's a fun and pretty solid case with nice characters. Father and daughter Tenma are great.

I thought about the first game as well, still, 1-1 and 1-2 are the cases in which we get to know Larry and Maya respectively, so it's not like in later cases where we're basically supposed to care even more because it's someone we know, instead we get to know everyone through the cases, rather than having the cases being carried by having people we know/people close to the mian cast/people from the main cast themselves involved in it. 1-2 of course also had Mia's death, but even so it was different from what 1-4 brought in terms of personal involvment, so they both packed a major punch for me first time I played them, but in different ways.

Mm, and 6-5
Spoiler:
which just had to have the main prosecutor forced to confess committing the murder because just having to free him from Ga'ran's grip, along with clearing your foster father's name, dealing with a Maya-hostage situation, battling Phoenix, and avoiding the execution of yourself and your (dead) foster father and Phoenix wasn't enough for personal stakes.

(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)

Happy Maria

6-4 was really impersonal, though. If you lose, then, um, Simon doesn't get to eat any soba anymore!

Still, I agree. These impersonal cases are very fun overall. Especially 1-3.

Quote:
6-4 was really impersonal, though. If you lose, then, um, Simon doesn't get to eat any soba anymore!

Hey, now. That was motivation if I ever saw it. No but yeah but no, each and every case aren't personal, but there's still quite a lot of them, not all of it necessary, such as Trucy being one of the hostages in 5-5, at least it barely did anything for me and even the cast seemed to pretty much forget about it in the middle of everything else going on.

Okay, thinking of this was part of the reason I actually remade an account here, but since my recent playthrough...

I prefer 2-3 to 3-2. By a long shot...
I'm confident in my hairstyle today.

Happy Maria

I've actually also been replaying through 2-3 recently, and honestly it's not really as bad as I remember. The characters don't actually grate on me (even Trilo is just meh) and the music's actually good.

The grammar in this case is weird as hell though. There's quite a lack of commas as well as a lot of sentences ending like this !! Dunno what really happened here, or why this case in particular.

The Enigma

I really like JFA too, probably even more than the first game. But AA has a special place in my heart, so I can't make a true decision yet.
I've heard rumors… Bramimond, one of the eight legends, devoted himself entirely to the dark. All emotion, all memory… dissolved in a river of dark. That is how he received the power to best dragons

The imagination justifies the pimp

zarazinia wrote:
I prefer 2-3 to 3-2. By a long shot...

Agree tbh. I find 3-2 really forgettable aside from Atmey.

Happy Maria

5-2 would be on the level of I-3 if it weren't for the twist at the end.

Also, the Phantom showdown in 5-5 was pretty entertaining.

Phantom's showdown was awesome! I don't get where people coming from calling him lame. Just because he's not a traditional grand mastermind, doesn't make him any less credible. He's supposed to be the antithesis to the game's theme of psychology and the ambiguity of his person compliments the fact that there is a lack of an easy background to be made into a motive to mentally manipulate him with.

Happy Maria

Idk about all that, I just loved the cheesiness of it. Especially that triple fingerpoint. Plus the breakdown. Plus the terrible anime cutscenes. They all complimented each other perfectly. It was great.

Yeah, they're fun too, cheesy as they are. But so is everything else that comes with it.

Yabba Dabba Doo

My big issue with the Phantom is that, despite his "cool" factor, is his lack of a compelling motive. He was just doing his job. And while his character meshed well with the whole psychology theme, he was a fairly boring villain once he dropped the Fulbright facade.

Another unpopular opinion of mine is that 3-4 is the worst case in Trials and Tribulations by a long shot. Not a bad case, but the other 4 are much better.

Happy Maria

Weirdly enough, I agree with you. Though it's better than 3-1 for me just because of its darker theme.
I guess all it comes down to is that I don't like Dahlia that much, which somewhat spoils my liking of the case.

Hi

This one is sorta coming out of left field, but the way I pronounce Laurice Deauxnim. Laurice is straightforward enough, but I feel like some of the letters in Deauxnim should be silent. Despite that I like to pronounce it Deeowwcks-nim.

Happy Maria

Rnomadrs wrote:
This one is sorta coming out of left field, but the way I pronounce Laurice Deauxnim. Laurice is straightforward enough, but I feel like some of the letters in Deauxnim should be silent. Despite that I like to pronounce it Deeowwcks-nim.

I pronounce it as Dough-nim. It's carried from Elise's last name so if you pronounce it like that it kinda sounds like 'alias pseudonym'.

Racing through the sky like a Missile

Back with my first playthrough, I actually pronounced it "Dew-nim" before realizing what the pun was.

I missed quite a few puns back then. Nowadays I can catch them the first time around.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

I think GS4 should been about Athena instead of him and perhaps GS5 and GS6 as well
All Lives Matter
Just Do It
Keep It Classic
Equality
Dream Big
All for one One for all
#Autism Speaks
#Mamba Mentality#8#24#2
Celebrate Each New Day
#WNBAAllDay
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Kingdom Heats 3
Xenoblade Chronicles
Destiny 2
I'm interested in mechanics,so I would be happy to learn about snake traps.
Good isn't a thing you are Its a thing you do

Happy Maria

Piper Slack wrote:
I think GS4 should been about Athena instead of him and perhaps GS5 and GS6 as well

Who is 'him' in this case? Apollo? Phoenix? Laurice?

I'm not sure how that would even work to be frank since Athena was only introduced in GS5 anyway.

But I do agree that GS7 should at least be about her more at this point.

Hehehe

Did my post fail to register? Darngle. Well, here's my unpopular opinion.

Ted Tonate is my favorite villian. He reminds me of myself in a lot of ways.

Happy Maria

ChurroSalesman25 wrote:
Did my post fail to register? Darngle. Well, here's my unpopular opinion.

Ted Tonate is my favorite villian. He reminds me of myself in a lot of ways.

I don't think he's hated, but he's an alright villain. I liked how he didn't actually cause the courtroom bombing, which is foreshadowed nicely if you look at the first case where he never confesses to that. He only killed Arme.

Danksgiving

athena should be taken out of GS7

but that's not an opinion. it's fact

Racing through the sky like a Missile

Don't be silly, Gruel. GS7 doesn't exist. There is nothing for Athena to materialize into, needless to say, be a main character or the protagonist of.

But I agree. Athena is not our soft reboot of the series, and it really needs a soft reboot at this point. That's fact.

While we're at it, I'll throw in an unpopular opinion of mine: Klavier should remain DLC only. It'd make a great gag.

Edit: I meant this entire post as a joke, but I honestly wouldn't mind getting a new game with a new cast and just a dlc case to bring back some familiar faces and names. It'd work right into that so-called soft reboot. DGS to me was just a little too much retreading, aside from some key points.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

GK didn't need a sequel and Kay was a useless assistant Gumshoe would have been fine
All Lives Matter
Just Do It
Keep It Classic
Equality
Dream Big
All for one One for all
#Autism Speaks
#Mamba Mentality#8#24#2
Celebrate Each New Day
#WNBAAllDay
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Kingdom Heats 3
Xenoblade Chronicles
Destiny 2

Happy Maria

I don't think there are many people who would debate that second point. There were so many other options (Gumshoe as you said, Franziska, Ema) and yet they still made a new character?!

And while GK technically didn't 'need' a sequel since nothing there is left unanswered, but GK2 was miles better in terms of story than the bland story of GK.

Enoshima Junko-chan!

Kay only exists because her gimmick complements the Investigations games’ gameplay style.

MBr wrote:
Kay only exists because her gimmick complements the Investigations games’ gameplay style.

I see this as fact and not opinion

All the Ace Attorney games not written by Shu Takumi (AAI, AAI2, DD, SoJ) suck and I know a lot people don't like AJ:AA but it's still way better than all of them.

Also I'm not sure if this is unpopular but PW:AA has the best box art in the series and I do not like the motif used in all the rest of the games of four characters' faces separated by vertical lines.
If I could just get a piece of lemon, it'd be great.
-Rip Torn
Look, just tell me where that lemon came from and I'll shut up and go away.
-Ricky Gervais
When life gives you lemon, chuck it back at life!
-Unknown

The Enigma

My unpopular opinion is that this unpopular opinion thread on AA should have died two years ago within the two months after it was created. Does that count?
I've heard rumors… Bramimond, one of the eight legends, devoted himself entirely to the dark. All emotion, all memory… dissolved in a river of dark. That is how he received the power to best dragons

Bramimond wrote:
My unpopular opinion is that this unpopular opinion thread on AA should have died two years ago within the two months after it was created. Does that count?

x) You created a monster!

Lemonftw wrote:
All the Ace Attorney games not written by Shu Takumi (AAI, AAI2, DD, SoJ) suck and I know a lot people don't like AJ:AA but it's still way better than all of them.

I'm pretty sure only walking Takumi's earth is considered a popular thing, dare I even say unhealthy.

Bramimond wrote:

Nope. People thrive on voicing their opposing views to let out their cynicism, it's just a habit that can't die.

PLvsAA wasn't necessary at all
All Lives Matter
Just Do It
Keep It Classic
Equality
Dream Big
All for one One for all
#Autism Speaks
#Mamba Mentality#8#24#2
Celebrate Each New Day
#WNBAAllDay
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Kingdom Heats 3
Xenoblade Chronicles
Destiny 2

Happy Maria

All the AA games could be classified as 'unnecessary '. Doesn't mean that they're all worthless though.

Disliking the Layton crossover is also far from unpopular, sadly.

Happy Maria

I realised this while replaying through T&T: 3-3 is one of my favourite filler cases that isn't related to the main story at all (unless the part with the apron counts but it's minor enough that I'm willing to overlook it) and it's also my second favourite case in the game. It has a lot of 'weird' characters and themes, even if it's a little disjointed, and the contradictions in this case are also pretty nice. It's like 3-2 but more interesting and a breath of fresh air this far into the game. Of course, it also helps that I'm not that big a fan of the flashback cases as everyone else, so it only leaves one other case.

The Almighty Toast

Apollo was always enough of a distinct character from Phoenix, even back in his debut game.

Turnabout Samurai is one of the best "filler" cases in the series.

"Filler" cases in general are not a bad thing, one of the biggest charms about Ace Attorney as a franchise has always been from the fact that at the end of the day it's simply a game about lawyers, and "filler" cases are not a detriment to that.

As an emotional conclusion to the series, Bridge to the Turnabout is great, as a murder mystery, it ranges from boring to terrible.

Both Turnabout for Tomorrow and Turnabout Revolution are some of the worst cases in the series.

Happy Maria

Murozaki wrote:
Apollo was always enough of a distinct character from Phoenix, even back in his debut game.

Turnabout Samurai is one of the best "filler" cases in the series.

"Filler" cases in general are not a bad thing, one of the biggest charms about Ace Attorney as a franchise has always been from the fact that at the end of the day it's simply a game about lawyers, and "filler" cases are not a detriment to that.

Pretty much agree about all these, especially that last one. I honestly don't think there are any bad AA filler cases (except maybe the Kidnapped Turnabout) and that's also what I miss in the AAI games- everything's connected to each other in some way, so there's no real filler cases there.

SOJ was really boring (it’s the only AA game I couldn’t finish until the end, and I’ve cleared DD and AAI).

DD was decent. Not good, but decent.

The 3DS AA games, minus DGS, start to feel AA for the sake of it. Like characters having ridiculously long animations repeated throughout, and being over the top just because.

AA1 is the best in the series.

Quote:

Completely agree (I even feel his personality was at its strongest in that game). I honestly can't see why so many people think they're similar, the only clear similarity I can see is that they both tend to be a bit sarcastic. Because sarcasm is such an unusual trait and it's not like they use and express that sarcasm in their own ways either.

Happy Maria

Going for Miles wrote:
Quote:

Completely agree (I even feel his personality was at its strongest in that game). I honestly can't see why so many people think they're similar, the only clear similarity I can see is that they both tend to be a bit sarcastic. Because sarcasm is such an unusual trait and it's not like they use and express that sarcasm in their own ways either.

Yeah, pretty much. I never quite felt the same way with DD Apollo quite as much except in 5-2. In all honesty, one of the reasons I like AJ so much is because Apollo is kind of the butt of every joke. That leads to some hilarious moments but also makes it super satisfying to stick it in everyone's faces when figuring the case out.

Happy Maria

Okay new unpopular opinion Congratulations Everybody Again from JfA is actually not that bad a song. If anything, it's actually quite charming and I prefer it to a good deal of the JfA OST (though that says more about the rest of the OST than that song itself). I used to find it super annoying but somehow that opinion has reversed for me.
Page 9 of 10 [ 366 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby