Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Police Station

Page 100 of 100[ 3971 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 96, 97, 98, 99, 100

Re: Random conversations about GamesTopic%20Title

In Justice We Trust

Pierre wrote:
Also the weird harem thing with Rex is majorly uncomfortable for me. Especially when the women are literally objects and weapons...and Rex is notably underage

Same. I was willing to let the "Blades are not people" bit go, if only because I got the impression the game wanted us to see them as people rather than as tools and/or minions, but I still have trouble shipping a boy who strikes me as having just started puberty with someone who strikes me as eighteen at the absolute youngest (technically, she's at least several hundred years old). Usually, being canon is reason enough for me to support a pairing, but if it feels too forced or unstable to me, the pairing just ends up feeling uncomfortable to me.

Close enough...

General Luigi wrote:
Pierre wrote:
Also the weird harem thing with Rex is majorly uncomfortable for me. Especially when the women are literally objects and weapons...and Rex is notably underage

Same. I was willing to let the "Blades are not people" bit go, if only because I got the impression the game wanted us to see them as people rather than as tools and/or minions, but I still have trouble shipping a boy who strikes me as having just started puberty with someone who strikes me as eighteen at the absolute youngest (technically, she's at least several hundred years old). Usually, being canon is reason enough for me to support a pairing, but if it feels too forced or unstable to me, the pairing just ends up feeling uncomfortable to me.

Like the "Blades are people too" works pretty well but it raised a lot of questions for me that mechanically the game didn't support. For example what about the legions of generic blades that I used and tossed away over the course of the game?

Also the concept of these blades as people gets weird when Corinne mentions a bunch of old stories where Drivers married their Blades. I mean sure one day Rex will grow old enough for a relationship while Pyra won't change at all but for the here and now in the game it's downright weird to see how everyone else ships them despite being underage.

Still perhaps it's a cultural thing in Alrest. Still a little uncomfortable which can actually be said for a lot of the character's designs. I really like Perun but man that weird pole-dance animation around her spear seems so out-of-character for her. I never got Dahlia but I've seen how she's designed and it'd be enough to make me uncomfortable playing the game on the bus.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

In Justice We Trust

Pierre wrote:
For example what about the legions of generic blades that I used and tossed away over the course of the game?

Exactly. I'm reminded of one of the main problems the Pokémon games have to deal with. No matter how much the narrative says "these guys aren't just tools for you to use and discard as the situation demands," the mechanics still say "these guys are tools for you to use and discard as the situation demands."

Close enough...

Yeah, especially considering the amount of grinding you need to do to get all the blades at Endgame. So many just get tossed in the scrapheap.

That's not to say I didn't enjoy the game so much.

Just maybe age up Rex a little and give him a better voice actor and I think that's the worst of my problems solved.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

General Luigi wrote:
Pierre wrote:
For example what about the legions of generic blades that I used and tossed away over the course of the game?

Exactly. I'm reminded of one of the main problems the Pokémon games have to deal with. No matter how much the narrative says "these guys aren't just tools for you to use and discard as the situation demands," the mechanics still say "these guys are tools for you to use and discard as the situation demands."

One reason why I liked the plot of Gen V. The villains claim to first want to liberate them, but then Ghetsis drops all pretences and basically says that, yeah, he will use Pokémon because that's what they are: tools. And anyone who says otherwise is kidding.

Plus, even so, you have your preferences. Many people don't like the Zubat-line; it's a decent Pokémon, but if you find a better Pokémon or one you like much more, you are very likely to plop Zubat into a PC and leave it there.

Enoshima Junko-chan!

Recently I was thinking about Call of Duty 4. It’s a commentary on war with its parody of American foreign policy, the cost of war (money and life), and at the end you don’t get recognition for your actions. But looking back, other shooters and Call of Duty itself just did all the cool things CoD4 did but with none of the framing, missing the point. Take the crew in the AC-130 mission: being callous while blowing up glowing blogs representing people and laughing as the good guys rob civilians.

Close enough...

It seems a bit of a grim situation. Acknowledging the horror and costs of war while still producing games that make that horror a pleasure to play through. It's having your cake and eating it to.

I remember people saying that Spec Ops: The Line intentionally was mediocre because it wanted to highlight the underpinning theme that "war isn't fun and has consequences" but that might just be a cop out.

Eh there's many other games out there to get away from the wartime fun. Last time I enjoyed a War Game was medal of honour frontlines (or Rising Sun).

I did hear that new WWII game was alright.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You know, a Mario game!

The point of Spec Ops: The Line wasn't "war is hell", it was a commentary on why people play shooters, to try to make people question why they play these types of games for the "power fantasy". I still think it's incredibly pretentious to try and make you feel like a monster for something the game itself forces you to do, but still.
My let's Play channel! Shameless plug!
Current Project: Sly Cooper & The Thievius Racoonus
My Twitter Account

I hate ice locations in videogames... any game that has an ice location you have to traverse gets on my shit list. At least this time (FF XV) I didn't have to do some horrible slide-blocks-on-ice puzzle...

Close enough...

It seems Bethesda have succumbed to temptation and have turned the next fallout game into one of those online survival multiplayer games ala Rust or DayZ.

I'm pretty deterred by this prospect, I don't trust gamers online enough to not just be huge trolls and ruin the experience for everyone, plus I feel whenever you do something like this it detracts a bit from well-crafted narratives based on how you need to structure your gameplay design. Least its not permadeath.

Still...Elder Scrolls VI got a tiny tease so whoop!
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Yabba Dabba Doo

So, uh, that new Smash game...it's looking pretty good. Curious as to how much "new" content there'll be, as we've only seen 3 newcomers and 3 new stages so far compared to literally every Smash veteran and almost 70% of all Smash stages.

Mario Party looks fun too, and I can't wait to try out the Octopath demo.
Page 100 of 100 [ 3971 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 96, 97, 98, 99, 100

Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Police Station