Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » Kingdom of Khura'in (GS6)

Page 5 of 5[ 187 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Re: Case four discussion thread (tagged spoilers)Topic%20Title

Happy Maria

I noticed a lot of confusion surrounding the killer. Let me clear it up.
Spoiler:
Their father was not the victim,Taifu Toneido. He was Uendo Toneido the first. So their crime was NOT patricide.

I just skimmed through this thread and didn't see it mentioned, but the localizers went the extra mile in this case. Even though this animation only appeared once, they localized the kanji on Uendo's fan

The video game boy; the one who wins

Neat! What did it say?
(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)

"Uendo Toneido" as opposed to "Bifuu Senpuutei"

So they changed the kanji on the fan even though most Western fans wouldn't be able to read it

Aaah. That's a nice touch.

1000% Knight

Hmmm... What are the kanji? Uendo looks like 羽演人, but I can't read Toneido at all.
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

Here's another:

According to reddit it says: 登寧堂 羽演人

A Kirby and AA fan

JesusMonroe wrote:
登寧堂 羽演人

This is the reason I am very wary of ever learning Japanese. I have to squint to even distinguish these characters, and then there's a crapload of them to remember

Happy Maria

Yeah,apparently even the slightest dot makes the pronounciation completely different.

Eg.キ and ギ.

Enoshima Junko-chan!

I'm taking Japanese right now, so I know all about it. For example this ツ and this シ are two different syllables.

I wanted to save this for a review of SoJ, but since this pertains mostly to 6-4, I'll post it here:
Spoiler: DD and SoJ
While I still think that 6-4 has no relevance plot-wise, I have changed my view on it not being completely meaningless.

I think this is part of a problem that began in DD: the cast of three playable lawyers is too big. It wasn't as big of an issue in DD, though. Since Athena was a newcomer, the plot could focus on her integration into the main cast. But there were criticisms for her stealing the show and Phoenix regressing to his trilogy self.

I think this issue is why Athena got a filler case and was left out of the finale of SoJ - there wasn't a way to work in the three lawyers with the Khura'in cast. But 6-4 was significant in her development. 6-4's purpose is to give Athena a new motivation, since she had already accomplished her goal in DD. That's why the defendant is somebody she doesn't know. Her previous client was Juniper, somebody she trusts. But now she has to defend somebody she isn't familiar with, and having no investigation means she has to build that trust in the trial.

So she takes on the case, and makes her usual mistakes. But Simon appears and tells her that she has a duty as a lawyer. Of all the characters to tell her this, Simon is the best given his samurai motif.

In the closing monologue, Athena has inherited the same passion for law that Phoenix, Apollo, and Simon have, as well as the sense of duty that Simon taught her. At the end of 3-5, Phoenix found the reason why he continues to defend people. Likewise, Athena has found her own in this case.

I just wish it was relevant to the main plot. Perhaps the defendant could be from Khura'in and Nahyuta was sent to track them down, but Simon and Athena throw a wrench in that plan by acquitting them. This person then appears on 6-5.

I thought it was a sweet change of pace and a bit of a relief to have a case that wasn't plot-related.

Happy Maria

I was just looking through my list and realised that this is actually in my top fifteen cases. It's sooooo fun. It's everything DGS-4 wanted to be,but better!

Glimmerous Fop

I also loved this case very much, the humor was fantastic, I learned a bit more about the Japanese culture and I like that they placed it between case 3 and 5. Athena + Simon was a nice combo (though I didn't like how clueless Athena was depicted) and Uendo was just hilarious, one of my favourite side characters in the series. I just wished there was at least one Investigation part, a different prosecutor (Klavier!?!) and more unique music (apart from Uendos Theme (and maybe the Reminiscence-theme?) I don't remember any new music in this case).

I don't know if this is already mentioned in the thread but is there a reasonable translation of Athena's "cause seven ate nine!" joke at the very end of this case from the original version?

Happy Maria

I think it's because the kanji for emotions is similar to another one. So basically this episode was made because of a pun

I'm fine and ready for justice!

JesusMonroe wrote:
I don't know if this is already mentioned in the thread but is there a reasonable translation of Athena's "cause seven ate nine!" joke at the very end of this case from the original version?

There IS, but to understand it, you need to have extensive knowledge of rakugo to understand it, hence the localized version. The translation eludes me, however.
If you need a defense attorney, come talk to me! I just...can't take any cases that are in real life...it has to be on Miiverse. But I'm a justice-seeking warrior who wins every time, like Mr. Fine over there! Well, as long as you're not guilty. In Justice We Trust!

1000% Knight

Well, it's not really "rakugo"... It takes the form of a "nazokake," which is a riddle/joke form that's basically "What do X and Y have in common?", and is a pun based on the fact that "感情" (emotion) and "勘定" (bill) are both "kanjou." (I forget the exaaact line, but it'd be something like "What do Athena and Time Soba have in common? Both of them rely on the details of kanjou")

Thanks! And subjective but is the joke supposed to be funny/clever? Or is it supposed to be deliberately low-effort like the English one?

Happy Maria

I'd give it a Luke Atmey/Pees'lubn Andistan'dhin.

I thought it was funny...

1000% Knight

JesusMonroe wrote:
Thanks! And subjective but is the joke supposed to be funny/clever? Or is it supposed to be deliberately low-effort like the English one?

I wouldn't call it low-effort, but it was probably one of those puns where you give them points for cleverness but still groan cuz it's a terrible pun.

Racing through the sky like a Missile

It was a terrible pun, but I'm a sucker for puns. Blackquill got his revenge by making a pun of her name in one of the wrong options, though.

What was the context around the 7-ate-9 joke?
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

I'm fine and ready for justice!

Rubia Ryu the Royal wrote:
It was a terrible pun, but I'm a sucker for puns. Blackquill got his revenge by making a pun of her name in one of the wrong options, though.

What was the context around the 7-ate-9 joke?

If you're talking about the subject of the joke, it's basically, "Why was [name of soba seller] no. 8 afraid of [soba seller] no 7.? Because 7 ate 9".
If you're talking about when the joke pops up, it's pretty much after the case, and Athena thinks it up on the spot.
If you need a defense attorney, come talk to me! I just...can't take any cases that are in real life...it has to be on Miiverse. But I'm a justice-seeking warrior who wins every time, like Mr. Fine over there! Well, as long as you're not guilty. In Justice We Trust!

She actually brings up Time Soba: https://youtu.be/UmLl5h4WRqY?t=21m44s

...needless to say, the joke in the Japanese version is better

Racing through the sky like a Missile

JesusMonroe wrote:
Does anyone wanna give a summary of the Japanese joke structure that Hsu was talking about?

http://detail.chiebukuro.yahoo.co.jp/qa ... 1352206613

I'm curious :pearl:

I had been meaning to stop by and answer this question, but forgot it after all this time. Here's the gist.

The joke is a type of nazokake that BP mentioned earlier. It goes [something] is the question/lead-in and [something else] is the answer, followed by the meaning or intention behind the joke, as a sort of clincher: "So that's what you mean by that!" It usually goes in "○○ to kakemashite, △△ to tokimasu。sono kokoro wa□□" fashion.

For that example with the two different "kanjou", Yuugami (Blackquill) followed it up with something roughly like "So that's the point..." Incidentally, the word used here is "kokoro", namely heart, so it also makes a sort of pun with Kokone's name too.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

Enoshima Junko-chan!

Bucky looks like a PLvsPW extra where his eyes look like they're drawn on his face as opposed to actually having eyes.

Happy Maria

Hurray for this caaasseeeee!

Spoiler: 6-4
I see a lot of people complaining about how this case is filler and how it contributes literally nothing to the plot. Screw that, that's the reason I love it so much! I love its odd positioning and I like its simplicity and that it has nothing to do with the main plotline. It's a very nice, humorous breather after the dullness of 6-3! I actually appreciate the simplistic mystery and the low stakes. At worst, Blackquill loses his favourite soba shop. That's it.

The fast pacing of this case is great too! I like how they quickly move on from witnesses and testimonies, like the old AAs. I counted- there are nine testimonies in this case, which is more than 6-3. The humour is very enjoyable too, with Blackquill, Athena and Nahyuta (occasionally) having a nice dynamic. Uendo is also a great and fun witness and I'm happy he takes up a good chunk of the case. Also, unlike everyone else, I really like Bucky and it's nice that he occasionally intervenes to help out. It's a nice touch, despite him being three sheets to the wind 90% of the time.

Of course, not everything here is perfect- I don't like Geiru or her motive, nor he "balloon" jokes (which feel like they belong in DR, which is how shitty they are). Nahyuta is also overly antagonistic here to the point of it not even being entertaining. It just makes me want to hate him even more. But other than that, I really do love this case. There's a reason it's my second favourite SoJ case, after all!

Page 5 of 5 [ 187 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » Kingdom of Khura'in (GS6)