Board index » Present Evidence » Present Testimony

Page 1 of 3[ 89 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

SC's Minifics (6/17: Absolutely Anything [Neilcentric])Topic%20Title

STOP LOOKING AT ME LIKE THAT

Location: cake for you. tea for you. cake for you. tea for you.

I is an author. I like to do little dribs and drabs of fictions as opposed to huge honkin' stories, though, so don't expect too much out of me.

QuickFic Finder:
Charley: Sometimes those little quirky obsessions are what hold our memories together. [Phoenix/Mia?]
Night: Diego Armando is in agony over a wound that will never heal. SPOILERS. [Diego/Mia]
In Blood: Iris's hidden feelings help her discover that there's no more room for doubt. SPOILERS. [Phoenix/Iris]
A Vicious Cycle: A little bit of the flu goes a long, long way. [Gumshoe/Maggey]
Somniloquy: "Mia Fey used to talk in her sleep..." [Diego/Mia referenced; Phoenix/Mia?]
Some Day: SPOILERS. A much younger Dahlia and Iris are in Kurain, watching their mother give her love to another child. [No Pairing Applicable]
Scent to Memory: Diego Armando reviews what he has left of Mia Fey. SPOILERS. [Diego/Mia]
Melissa Foster: SPOILERS. Just like old times, Dahlia Hawthorne thought bitterly, those false tears still rolling down her cheeks. Only this time, Mia Fey, you’re very much aware of our competition.
Sincere Condolences: Lana Skye puzzles over the hardest letter she will ever have to write. SPOILERS. [Diego/Mia referenced]
Bang: There was a time when young Neil and Jake Marshall used to play.
Flowers: Some Valentine's day fics for you guys to get sappy over. [Neil/Lana, Maggey/Gumshoe]
Sledding: Lana is forced to take the Marshalls and her sister sledding after a very scarce snowfall.
Company: SPOILERS. Apollo finds solace from his moping by cheering up an unlikely person.
Voice: SPOILERS. Apollo is mysteriously entranced by Lamiroir's voice.
Guitar Zero: Some people were just never meant to possess Rock Band. [AJ Fic]
Mission: SPOILERS. Sometimes the best things in life start out unbelievably awkward. [Apollo/Vera]
Laughter: SPOILERS. Laughter is the shortest distance between two people. -Victor Borge [NickThalassa]
Hair Care: Never, ever tell your secrets, no matter how trivial they are.
Goodwill: SPOILERS. A short, emotional fic that I really can't summarize for once. Open to interpretation. [Miego]
Waste of Time: When a rock star reaches his breaking point, he drudges up some unwanted memories in the heart of his hateful detective partner.
Depth Perception: SPOILERS. Apollo Justice can't help but notice when the mental state of his friends is less than stable, and the loneliness is slowly becoming a little too much for him to bear. long desc for a oneshot, eh?
Absolutely Anything: A doomed man reaches an epiphany as he watches late-night TV with his dearest companions.
--
Title: Charley
Summary: Sometimes those little quirky obsessions are what hold our memories together.
Characters: Phoenix Wright, Mia Fey, Charley the Plant
Pairings (if any): I suppose you can see it as Mia/Phoenix if you want to; it's not what I intended, but I won't kick you in the face if that's how you received it or anything.
Trigger: I honestly have no idea where this came from. Maybe it's my subconscious desire to see more in-game interaction between not-dead-yet Mia and Phoenix.
Music: It's Okay To Think About Ending - Earlimart
--
“Hey, Wright. Can you do me a favor?”

Phoenix Wright felt himself flinch as the voice of his superior floated melodiously through the crack in the door. Presently he was hunched over his paperwork, though the pen scratching that had previously lulled him into a comfortable state of auto-pilot had now ceased. The grating silence that hung about like some sort of veil was suffocating, but he couldn’t bring himself to respond to the inquiry quite yet; he recognized the tone that Mia Fey had used with him, and her sing-song voice told him all that he needed to know - she had another job for him. A trivial one.

“Yeah, chief?” He called back, and he cringed at the way his words sliced through the silence. That damned silence...

Even so, he couldn’t imagine why his own voice had given him such a start.

“Come in here for a second. I need to speak with you.” She’d responded to him naught but a moment later. All at once, he found himself feeling alarmed - Mia Fey’s giddy tone had vanished, and something about the atmosphere of the office had changed along with it. It was as if someone had shifted the lever from ‘boring’ to ‘tense,’ and Phoenix had to swallow back his sense of foreboding. There was no love in the air, none of the relaxed looseness that usually resided in the Fey & Co. Law Offices... Truthfully, he didn’t know what he sensed. The fact that he couldn’t even identify the vibes his mentor was sending frightened him.
The silence had returned tenfold as he mused, and he jerked out of his stupor only when he heard the woman in the room next door harshly clear her throat (a habit she’d most definitely picked up from her own mentor). “C-Coming, chief,” he managed lamely, choking on his own tongue. Something was wrong; there was no room for doubt left in his mind. Fey & Co. Law Offices no longer felt like his home; it felt like a trap.

He only realized that his feet had begun moving without him when he stood in the doorway, peeking in on Mia Fey like a child in trouble.

She sat behind her desk (which he had always envied in secret, for it never failed to make her look professional), but even as the door creaked she didn’t turn to face him. She’d done a quarter-turn in her wheeled chair to face the Cordyline stricta plant beside her, the one she’d affectionately named Charley, and she was staring at it intently with what could have been a frown tugging at the corners of her lips. Her fingers, which Phoenix had come to associate with freedom - the more they pointed in court, the more innocent people they released - were gently stroking the green leaves in the same affectionate manner that one would use on a beloved pet.
She looks so sad, Phoenix realized, and he felt his heart sink.

It was then that the fierce brown gaze he knew and loved rose up to meet his own blue eyes in an intense gridlock. Most people would take a stare as level as her own as a sign of aggression, but he’d actually caught himself enjoying the depth of her eyes on several occasions... They gave him a feeling of security that he couldn’t find anywhere else. It’s like she can read my mind, he found himself thinking as he shuffled into the room. She looks happier now...

“I didn’t hear you come in,” she stated matter-of-factly. The subject changed before he could get a word in edge-wise. “I take it you’re getting ready to tackle your first case,” she said conversationally, one of her brows rising in a manner that brought the word ‘accusation’ to his mind.
“Yes, of course, chief,” Phoenix said stiffly, rolling from the balls of his feet to his heels in a nervous gesture. He was vaguely aware of the fact that her fingers were still caressing the leaves.
“Good.” That was her only response, and with that she had looked back to Charley. Phoenix felt an odd emptiness in the pit of his stomach when their eye contact broke; he found himself longing for the comfort that staring into her wise eyes gave him. They had the warmth of his mother in them...
That uncomfortable silence had settled itself over them once more, and it puzzled him, because normally silence in the office didn’t feel this off. The steady tick of some hidden clock pulsed on like a metronome would after the band had stopped playing, and he resisted the urge to hunt it down and stomp it to pieces. You read me like a book, chief, he thought desperately, ducking his head down slightly in a fruitless attempt to catch her attention once more. Read this: You’re making me nervous. That wasn’t what you wanted to tell me. ... Please, tell me what you’re thinking...

“Phoenix,” she said, and his heart leapt into his throat.
“Y-Yeah, chief...?” The upwards inflexion in his question came late due to a subtle nervous crack in his voice.
“... If something were to happen to me,” she began, and he instantly wanted to beg her to stop talking. Nothing is going to happen to you, he wanted to say, his growing horror with the situation widening his eyes. Nothing is going to happen because I’m here to protect you. I don’t want to hear this. You’re immortal, Mia. This unspoken question was what had been weighing down the air, he knew it was, and he would give anything to keep her from asking it...
“... If something were to happen to me, would you water Charley for me?”

Her eyes rose to meet his once more, a darkness that he’d never seen before blackening her usually bright and happy features. Phoenix felt a mixture of emotions that made him ill - terror, adoration, and perhaps a bit of relief - and he had to clear his throat before he answered.

“... Of course I would, chief,” he said, feeling a bit silly. Was that what he had gotten so worked up about?

“... That’s all I needed to know,” she said, and her head tilted lightly to the side as she offered him a carefree grin. That’s what I’ve been waiting to see, he thought, mirroring her grin with one of his own.
“Now, get back to work, Wright,” she said, spinning in her chair to face him for the first time. Her hands slammed down onto the desk in the same manner that she used in the court room, and he felt his body jerk with shock for the third time that night. “We need to find you a case.”

“Right... Of course, chief,” he said with practiced sincerity, turning on his heel. What was I so afraid of? He asked himself upon his exit, amused to the point of uttering a bemused chuckle. It was an honest question. She just cares about that plant, maybe a little too much; that’s all.

Mia Fey took her final breath on the floor of that same office no more than six days later. She’d knocked Charley over in the struggle for her life.

“Sure, the office is a mess, but I never forget to water this little fella.”

I appreciate feedback! Thanks to everyone for supporting my work!

Last edited by Soramimi Cake on Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:59 am, edited 47 times in total.
Re: SC's Minifics (First Fic has Arrived!)Topic%20Title

Aw, how sad. This makes me wonder if Mia really knew/suspected what was coming.

I wonder, too, sometimes, what would have become of Phoenix and Mia if she hadn't died so soon. But with Maya and Pearl in the picture, it's not like death is that much of a barrier... I prefer to believe that they don't just channel her when they need her for cases. I have fun imagining little domestic scenes of them all living/vacationing at Hazakura temple, like Maya channeling her mother so she can read Pearl a bedtime story or something.

Quizer
Ultra Course - A Phoenix/Maya fanfiction by Quizer
Quizer's fanfiction thread - Last update: Inconclusive Evidence Part 1/3 (Jan 07, 2008)
Re: SC's Minifics (First Fic has Arrived!)Topic%20Title

SPOILERS FOR T&T! ARGARGAH
Title: Night
Summary: Diego Armando is in agony over a wound that will never heal. AAAANGST
Characters: Diego Armando/Godot, Mia Fey (never physically present but mentioned heavily)
Pairings: Diego/Mia
Trigger: EMOEMOEMOEMOOOOO. I guess I just have a muse for sad stories right now. Sue me.
Music: It's, like, 3 am here. My tired mind provided a song for me while I crapped this fic out.
Misc. Notes: This is supposed to be really light on wording and matter-of-fact, I wasn't just feeling lazy even though I am. It was written that way to convey the feeling of 'this is how it is, doesn't that suck?' or something along those lines. The fact that Mia is never referred to by her name and only capitalized pronouns like She and Her is an obscure reference to God and how He and His is always capitalized.
Yeah, I suck.
--
Diego Armando sat on the edge of his bed and stared down at the floor.

He could hear the clock ticking, but the sound was useless to him, for he no longer cared about time outside of the courtroom. He could remember a day, an age, an eon where the clock’s ticking had mattered to him, but it was lost now and he knew it would never return. Time used to stop like this, he recalled, when he had been with Her, but he’d always enjoyed it back when She’d done it. It was like magic the way She could re-invent his days and nights, make them mesh together so that he never glanced at the clock once while he was with Her. She had captivated him.

But She was gone now, and She had taken time with Her.

Moonlight filtered through the window and illuminated sections of the bed, setting it ablaze with white flame that contrasted sharply with the darkness of the rest of the room. Brightness fell across the sheets in the same position that he had found Her napping in once, and he didn’t want to see it, so he averted his faded eyes. Every time he looked up, he could see where She had been once, laughing or crying, or perhaps somewhere in-between, and it was unbearable. Even when he tried to sleep he could feel Her next to him, Her fingers running through his hair, and it was almost enough to make him ask Her to stop, as if she were physically present and caressing him in the same way She had done in life. The only place that didn’t remind him of Her was the floor, and that was always where his eyes ended up. And sometimes...

Sometimes he spoke to Her.

He couldn’t deny that She wasn’t there, but he could pretend. He would talk to Her, his face resting in his palms as he mumbled, sometimes incoherently, to a figure that was no longer there, a figure that would never again be there. Tonight was particularly difficult for him because it was cold, and She had always warmed him up before. The thought of seeing Her again in the morning had always been enough to warm him even if She wasn’t there beside him while he slumbered. Oh, God, he was exhausted. How long had it been since he last slept?

“Kitten,” he said. Silence responded. The clock ticked.

“It’s over,” he said to the night, to Her. “Everything is over, Kitten.” She was the night, and he was so tired.

“You can cry now.” Even his own voice sounded distant to him.

Diego shifted farther back on the bed, sliding away from its edge, and he sat there. The clock ticked.

“Kitten,” he said one last time, laying his head onto the pillows. He felt something move, trailing from the corner of his eye, and he could’ve sworn it was a tear. No, his mind said. You can’t cry. You don’t deserve to cry. Godot.

Comforted by his failure, Diego Armando drifted into a dreamless sleep.

Last edited by Soramimi Cake on Mon Dec 24, 2007 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Re: SC's Minifics (Updated: In Blood [Phoenix/Iris])Topic%20Title

SPOILERS FOR T&T AGAIN AGRHRGHGAGHA
Title: In Blood
Summary: Iris's hidden feelings help her discover that there's no more room for doubt.
Characters: Iris, Phoenix Wright, Dahlia Hawthorne
Pairings: Phoenix/Iris
Trigger: idk. I really love this pairing to death and back, though. Iris is my bff. :ayame:
Music: Your Rain - Silent Hill 4
Misc. Notes: WHOOT MACBETH REFERENCES
--
For Iris, this was getting both harder and easier with each passing day.

She’d realized this on a lovely Sunday morning when the two of them - she and Phoenix Wright - were sitting silently on a park bench. He’d laid down his head on her lap and fell asleep, just like that, and suddenly she had realized exactly how much trust this boy had placed in her. You’re playing him for a fool, her mind had told her, the angered reprimand of an irritated mother. Shame on you, Iris. But she couldn’t back down now; she knew that, because she’d gone into this knowing how badly it could backfire, and she’d made a promise.

Is this really worth it, though? Iris actually winced at the realization. You can back down. It’s not too late.

“But it is, Iris.”
It was her sister’s voice this time. “You promised me. Get the necklace. You promised me, Iris.” A quote from Shakespeare’s Macbeth had been kicking around in her head, a never-ending chorus in an ongoing song, and her mind recited it while the boy slept, her fingers tracing through his hair idly. I am in blood, stepp’d in so far, that, should I wade no more, returning were as tedious as go o’er.

But this blood isn’t mine, she wanted to say, and her heart wrenched with how unfair all of this was. This blood belongs to Dahlia. It shouldn’t be on my hands. And I can’t have your blood join it, Feenie.

She remembered the first time Dahlia had caught her calling Phoenix by his special pet-name, and these types of set-backs were what made things harder. It was their usual argument - Dahlia told Iris that she was taking too long, and Iris begged and pleaded and groveled because Dahlia would just be adding to the blood they would wade through together, and more innocent blood need not be shed - only Iris had made a simple error. She had called him Feenie.

“What did you say?” Dahlia had asked, her voice sweet and calm and frightening.
“... Feenie,” Iris had responded, unnerved. “I call him that sometimes.”
Dahlia had swept forward with her usual angelic smile and grabbed onto her twin’s hair, wrapping it about her fingers and pulling it taught without hesitation. Iris could remember crying out, not only because it hurt but because Dahlia had never hurt her before then, never even considered it, yet here she was, tugging away like her life depended on it - and perhaps it did, Iris later realized, perhaps it did.
“Don’t you ever let me hear you calling him that again,” she’d said, giving the locks she held one final tug before releasing the frightened girl and turning away.

Thinking about these things made Iris’s head hurt.

She discovered that her hands had settled somewhere around Phoenix Wright’s shoulders, found that her fingers were lightly brushing against the chain of the necklace, and she could’ve sworn that her heart had stopped. How easy it would be, she mused, to simply slip the necklace off of him and slide out from underneath him. She’d put the necklace into her pocket and sneak off and they would never see each other again.

She would never see Phoenix Wright again.

An awful sadness overtook her, and she had to close her eyes to keep from crying. Something rooted deep within her chest had altered; the thought of walking out on him had suddenly become more than she could bear. None of the three would ever fully realize it, but the instant Phoenix Wright had put his head down on the lap of young, conflicted Iris was the exact moment she had fallen in love with him, a moment shared with the precise point and time where Dahlia Hawthorne’s plan had backfired.

“Don’t you think so, Dollie?” Phoenix Wright mumbled a message from a dreamscape. Iris reopened her eyes to look down at him, and she found her face lighting up with a grin unlike any other.
“I do,” she said warmly, and her Feenie had smiled.

Iris would never know exactly what she had agreed to, but she had a pretty good idea. This isn’t all bad, she thought to herself, and her fingers went back to stroking through his hair.

Yes, she could live with this for a little bit longer...

Faith is for the transient people.

:D I loved the PhoenixIris one! You're a good writer, that's for certain. And yes, Macbeth reference for the win. You described one of the scenes I had always wanted to see (and yet did not show up in my fic Everything Gone Wright... XD;), which was Iris saying 'Feenie' in front of Dahlia.

More! I must see moar! :O
Proud supporter of Phoenix/Iris, past, present and future
Thank you Elriel! :D

The girl who's kicking the coke machine

The Charley one is so sad. Just... D= Really, I find it so touching he keeps Charley for so many years...

True love is forever.

They're all so sweet and well-written. Just beautiful stuff. I look forward to more.
Proud Supporter of Phoenix/Iris, Ron/Dessie, Klavier/Ema, and Apollo/Vera
Fanfics Updated-12/25

My son is bored. Care to play with him?

All of this is good stuff, but I especially liked Charley and In Blood. Phoeris is my absolute favorite coupling and I thought you captured the Phoenix/Mia dynamics pretty well. Cheers!
Re: SC's Minifics (Updated: A Vicious Cycle [Maggey/Gumshoe])Topic%20Title

Title: A Vicious Cycle
Summary: A little bit of the flu goes a long, long way.
Characters: Dick Gumshoe, Maggey Byrde
Pairings: Maggey/Gumshoe
Trigger: This is one of my favorite pairings, and I think it's adorable when couples take care of one another when they're sick. So, this.
Music: Relax, Take It Easy - Mika
Misc. Notes: DID I MENTION THAT I REALLY LOVE THIS PAIRING
--
It goes without saying that human beings who share a close bond don’t enjoy seeing one another in pain. Such is a basic rule of nature, one that is put into motion in average day-to-day life, and detective Dick Gumshoe wasn’t even aware of the fact that he was enforcing instinct with Maggey Byrde on that snowy, sleety Monday afternoon. She’d been coughing constantly since they’d met up for an outing - outing, not a date, he’d assured himself, and that made it better for him - and every time she wheezed and hacked he felt his innards twist farther into a vaguely pretzel-like shape. Her cheeks were flushed and her breath was coming short by the time he reached the conclusion that something was wrong. She’s sick, he realized, and he felt like hitting his head against the wall for several minutes. Of course she’s sick. She’s been coughing all day, and now she has a fever. I can’t let her stay out like this, outing or no outing.

So he did what any gentleman was expected to do - he explained to her that she was sick and they would postpone their day out, in spite of her protest, and he took her home. He’d been getting ready to depart for his own apartment when he heard her coughing again from the other room, and he recalled the fact that she was alone with nobody to care for her; but she was an adult, not an infant, and she could take care of herself, reason argued. Dick Gumshoe had always been a little on the paranoid side, however, and hundreds of different scenes on how badly Maggey could hurt herself without supervision had implanted themselves within his brain by the time he’d reached the doorway.

“... Hey, pal,” he called to her, doing a half-turn to stare back in her direction. “Do you think that maybe I could stay for a while? I... I really don’t want to leave you alone,” he managed, shameful pink blossoming in his cheeks. His hand lightly rested on the doorknob, as if she’d already declined his offer and he was gathering up the last of his things in preparation for the longest ride home of his life.

“Of course you can stay, sir,” her voice responded, raspy and strained and sick, and his guilt over her illness kept him from feeling too happy about being able to stay out of the wintry weather. “But something tells me--” her voice broke off so that she could cough several times. “--... That I won’t be doing much today.”

“Oh, that’s fine, pal,” he assured her with his usual confident grin. “I just want to make sure you’re okay alone, is all.”

Dick Gumshoe sat with Maggey Byrde all throughout that afternoon, tense at first but eventually calming into a state of bliss. He’d come to terms with the fact that some influenza-like ailment had interrupted their day out together graciously, even more so when he discovered that it hadn’t really stolen her company from him at all. He’d been planning on leaving before the sun set, but the weather took a sudden turn for the worse; she had insisted that he stay, of course, lest he drive himself into a telephone pole (again). As for him, he had no qualms with sharing the bed with her, no matter how much she shivered and coughed.

They parted company the following morning, promising to meet up again when her health had improved. Sure enough, they made plans for the very next day, intent on making up the time lost on their previous outing despite the snowy, sleety weather.

That is, until Dick Gumshoe began to cough, and the situation worsened the more Maggey tried to ignore it. His cheeks were flushed and his breath was coming short by the time she reached the conclusion that something was wrong. He’s sick, she realized. Of course he’s sick. He’s been coughing all day, and now he has a fever. I can’t let him stay out like this, outing or no outing.

So she did what any young woman was expected to do - she explained to him that he was sick and they would postpone their day out again, in spite of his protest, and she took him home.

Re: SC's Minifics (Updated: A Vicious Cycle [Maggey/Gumshoe]Topic%20Title

OHEMJEEE.

Awwww... The Miego one almost made me cry.

So cute, yet so very sad. I love it.
Pairings: Miego, FeenRis, EdgeyFran, KlavEma, CloTi, Zerith, Vincrecia.
Just a note, all: I haven't been on in a while, so I'm trying to get my little persona here back in order. I won't be on as much in the future, maybe a few times a week. Sorry!
Re: SC's Minifics (Updated: A Vicious Cycle [Maggey/Gumshoe]Topic%20Title

Geez, I need to thank all you guys for the feedback. So, uh... Thank you! :D I'm kind of shy about these things so usually I just post and shuffle off, but you should all know that comments make me really, really happy.

Re: SC's Minifics (Updated: Somniloquy [Mia/Phoenix?])Topic%20Title

Title: Somniloquy
Summary: "Mia Fey used to talk in her sleep..."
Characters: Mia Fey, Phoenix Wright, Diego Armando (mentioned)
Pairings: It wasn't intended to be Mia/Phoenix but feel free to see it as such.
Trigger: My friend kept me up last night talking in his sleep, and this plot bunny formed.
Music: Porcelain - Moby
Misc. Notes: i love mia fey
--
Mia Fey used to talk in her sleep.

Not many people knew that about her; in fact, it was quite possible that Phoenix Wright was the only one conscious of her little problem from its first appearance to its last stand, though he’d never even dreamed of leaking his beloved mentor’s embarrassing quirk. It was a generally harmless occurrence that provided him with a few giggles as it ran its course, mostly because Mia never really formed sentences - instead she babbled incoherently and hummed, sometimes actually rousing herself with the force and volume of her mumbling. She’d always wake up with little to no recollection of what she’d been dreaming, and she never seemed to know that she’d been speaking, not until Phoenix told her. It was because of this that he assumed fate’s love for irony had led to him inadvertently curing her of her disease.

It had been a long day, and Mia Fey was asleep at her desk yet again. Her employee had popped in to bid her a good night and grab his coat off the rack when he saw her sleeping there, and disappointment raked at his ribs, sharp and swift. Usually she managed to stay awake until he left for the night, but she hadn’t succeeded in pulling it off this particular Tuesday; of course, waking her so they could have their usual exchange of good tidings didn’t even cross his mind - he said goodnight, she mumbled in her sleep, and with that he headed for the door.

“Diego.”

Phoenix Wright flinched at the word as if it were an obscenity and stopped in his tracks. He couldn’t possibly have awakened her, she always slept harder than that - but at the same time, she didn’t ever say actual words in her sleep... He looked over his shoulder and stared back at her, his outstretched hand suspended over the doorknob. She was still slumbering peacefully, her breath marked by the steady rise and fall of her shoulders, and he felt relief. It was a coincidence that her mumbling had formed a name, and his guise stood until she repeated it: “Diego.”

This time Phoenix knew he couldn’t leave quite yet. Concern gripped him, and he set his jacket back down onto the rack, spinning himself around in order to move towards his mentor’s side. She’d returned to her typical snorting and mumbling, but something in her face had changed; the peace was gone, and it was now marked with distress, a certain unhappiness that tempted Phoenix towards waking her up. He would’ve done just that if she hadn’t spoken again. “I’m sorry,” she whispered, her upset contrasting sharply with her typical sleepy monotone. “I’m sorry.”

Phoenix was unsure of what had made him respond, but it was one of the best decisions he’d ever made while under the apprenticeship of Mia Fey. “I forgive you,” he said, placing a hand gingerly over her shoulder. She’d smiled then, leaning into his touch, and her sudden happiness made him reluctant to leave. It was late, he noted, and he didn’t want to abandon her if she might need him again... But if she regained consciousness with him standing there then surely she would twist his ear or kick him or something to that effect, and that was something he did not wish to experience. “Goodnight, chief,” he whispered to her, and she didn’t respond - not even a whimper. He grinned, released her, and left for the night uninterrupted.

It took him a while to realize that his chief had stopped her somniloquy, and even then it never occurred to him that those three simple words were what had ended her episodes. Then again, her muttering had never been of significance to him in the first place...

It was no big deal.

Re: SC's Minifics (Updated: Some Day [Dahlia+Iris SisterFriendshTopic%20Title

T&T. SPOILERS. AGAIN. AHDIAKLSJKLA
Title: Some Day
Summary: A much younger Dahlia and Iris are in Kurain, watching their mother give her love to another child.
Characters: Dahlia Hawthorne, Sister Iris, Mia Fey, Morgan Fey
Pairings: None. I do not do twincest.
Trigger: Sympathy for the devil?
Music: Any Other World - Mika
Misc. Notes: This is before Dahlia turned into a psycho biznatch. Also, the twins are very young here, clearly, thus their speech patterns.
--
Dahlia thoughtfully plucked at her sleeve, surveying the scene before her through narrowed eyes. Her mother, her Mystic Morgan, was coddling ‘Mystic’ Mia, lavishing love - love that belonged to Dahlia and nobody else, as she saw it - on the little brat. Normally such a sight never would have bothered her; it was rather common because Mystic Mia was the future Master of Kurain and everybody loved her, but today something was different, and looking upon it enraged young Dahlia to the point of wanting to strike something. She’d never been one for complaints, but she was bursting at the seams with frustration, and the fact that nobody cared made it even worse- nobody except for her sister, that is. Iris was interested in everything, and she loved her twin so dearly that sometimes she forgot the sting of neglect. Not today, though - she was furious, and not even Iris would be able to make it better.

“Iris,” Dahlia called out sharply, and her black-haired twin tore her eyes away from a ladybug on a leaf in order to stare up at her sibling from a few feet away. “Come here.”

Obedient and eager as a loyal old dog, Iris hopped up to her feet, brushing dirt off her knees before scampering right over to her most admired sister. “Yes, sis?” She asked in her typical sickeningly polite way, watching Dahlia with her wide eyes.

“Look, over here,” Dahlia responded with a sneer of disgust, pointing disdainfully in the direction of her mother and Mia Fey. The cuddling and tickling looked like it would never end, and it made Dahlia want to scream.

“That’s Mommy and Mystic Mia,” Iris said matter-of-factly, though her tone said the words left unspoken: What’s your point?

“Mommy doesn’t love us anymore,” Dahlia spat. She spoke in a tone so artic that the meaning of the statement had almost escaped them, creating a shallow pit of foreboding in their stomachs. Iris had never heard her sister use a tone like that, and the words were like glass in her eardrums, unbearable in both meaning and phrase. She winced and put a hand over her sister’s, because - oh, God, was she right?

“What do you mean, sis?” Iris responded, small and frightened. The two suddenly felt terribly alone, and they both moved closer to one another to fight it off. “Of course Mommy loves us... She just loves Mystic Mia a whole lot, too.”

“Hmph.” Dahlia grabbed a fistful of her vibrant red hair and tossed it in a foreign gesture that Iris had never seen her perform. “Mia Fey.”

Iris issued a short gasp and grasped her twin’s hand tighter, shutting her eyes against the obscenity. It was a bad thing to call Mystic Mia by her full name, a very bad thing, and it was even worse to leave out the ‘Mystic,’ they both knew that... Her lips formed the missing term as if it would make up for the fact that Dahlia had wronged, but the word never left her mouth, and it lingered there between them like a bad omen.

“She doesn’t even know us, Iris,” Dahlia continued, almost tempted to roll her eyes at the frightened girl’s behavior. “She doesn’t even care about us, I bet. ‘Cause she’s the future Master, and she doesn’t need to talk to us ‘cause we’re just her cousins in the branch family.”

Iris swallowed, fully aware of the fact that she couldn’t refute the claim. She didn’t want to hate Mystic Mia because she seemed nice enough, but there was no denying the fact that they were being ignored outright. “Why don’t we go over there and ask Mystic Mia to play with us?” She proposed, secretly excited by the idea. She’d never really gotten to play with Mystic Mia, but she was sure that it promised to be a fun time.

“No,” Dahlia snapped, shooting down the offer without a moment’s hesitation. “I don’t wanna play with her. I wanna play with Mommy.”

Silently miserable, Iris shuffled her feet and lowered her eyes to the ground. Dahlia didn’t usually get like this, and it was making her sad to think about it.

“Some day,” Dahlia announced, straightening her posture, “I’m gonna do something. And then everyone is gonna pay attention to me and not Mia Fey.” She paid no mind to Iris’s flinch. “And you’re gonna come with me, right? We’ll be together forever and ever. And we’ll do something that’ll make everyone pay attention to us.”

Iris only nodded. This was a phase, she’d deduced. Dahlia would get over her hatred for Mystic Mia.

It was only a matter of time...

So sad and good :larry:
Re: SC's Minifics (Updated: Some Day [Dahlia+Iris SisterFrieTopic%20Title

True love is forever.

Excellent work again. The story is interesting, well written and everyone was nicely in character. I look forward to more!
Fanfics Updated-12/25

SPOILERS. T&T. YOU KNOW THE DRILL.
Title: Scent to Memory
Summary: Diego Armando reviews what he has left of Mia Fey.
Characters: Diego Armando/Godot, Mia Fey (mentioned heavily)
Pairings: Diego Armando/Mia Fey
Trigger: ... To be honest, I just had this really good-smelling lip balm and... You know what, I don't know, it was a random process of idea evolution.
Music: On Saturday Afternoons In 1963 - Rickie Lee Jones
Misc. Notes: This is sad. I will not be held responsible for the pangs of pity you may or may not feel for DieGodot. Proceed with caution.
--
Most people know that smell is powerfully connected to memory, but Diego Armando knew this better than anyone.

The scent of his favorite beverage had roused him from his comatose state due to the flood of memories it had brought back. He could smell her tears and the scent of his own blood, and he could smell her hair and her shampoo and perfume, but above all he had smelled the coffee, and he had opened his eyes.

Even now the bitterness remained on his tongue like a curse, lingering hatefully and fueling his desire for revenge - revenge for her. He was just barely clinging on now, and he knew that, but the thought of that didn’t scare him. In fact, he rather liked the danger, the feeling of hanging onto her by the tips of his fingernails.

He shifted the pillow that Mia Fey had once called her own in his hands, examining it for traces of her that he might have missed the first time around. There was nothing there, he had decided.

Nothing but her scent.

The pillow rose up to meet him, and he buried his face in it, inhaling whatever memoirs of her he could grasp. The deluge came immediately, and he could remember taking her home after that trial; he could remember telling her everything was going to be alright; he saw himself asking her to call him Diego, and he saw himself kissing her; he recalled the many nights they spent together lying in this very bed and talking, laughing, having fun; and he saw himself giving her a goodbye kiss and telling her that he would be back shortly, he was just going out to lunch, lunch with Dahlia Hawthorne.

He wasn’t sure exactly how long a time he’d spent with his head buried in the pillow’s bulk, but it felt as if he’d watched the months of his relationship race by all over again. It was choppy in places, like an aged filmstrip, but just the simple aroma of Mia Fey had managed to awaken his sense of true grief.

Now if only these scent-triggered memories would make her open her eyes...

Okay, good. Pardon the double, it took a lot of coaxing to get this connection to go through. :chinami:

Re: SC's Minifics (Updated: Scent to Memory [Diego/Mia])Topic%20Title

OHEMJEEE.

Awwwww. <3

Just as adorable as the rest, though my fave was Night.

You have a talent, my friend.
Pairings: Miego, FeenRis, EdgeyFran, KlavEma, CloTi, Zerith, Vincrecia.
Just a note, all: I haven't been on in a while, so I'm trying to get my little persona here back in order. I won't be on as much in the future, maybe a few times a week. Sorry!

Shaaaaaaak!

I haven't read all the stories yet, but they are great! I loved the two Godot fics, although my favourite was your Dahlia and Iris story, Some Day.

SPOILERS FOR T&T RARARA
Title: Melissa Foster
Summary: "Just like old times, Dahlia Hawthorne thought bitterly, those false tears still rolling down her cheeks. Only this time, Mia Fey, you’re very much aware of our competition..."
Characters: Dahlia Hawthorne/"Melissa Foster," Mia Fey, Diego Armando (for, like, a second.)
Pairings: None.
Trigger:
Spoiler:
Melissa:

Mia:
...?
(Is she... staring at me?)

Melissa:
Umm...
And you would be...?

Mia:
Huh?
I-I'm the defense lawyer.
...My name is Mia Fey.

Melissa:

Melissa:
...I see.
So you are...

Music: Hello - Evanescence. Moodiest song I could find.
Misc. Notes: GUESS WHO LOVES DAHLIA AND MIA! I felt majorly bad for having to put Mia down so much, but this is supposed to be aligned towards Dahlia, so... I'M SORRY MIA! :larry:
--
Just like old times, Dahlia Hawthorne thought bitterly, those false tears still rolling down her cheeks. Only this time, Mia Fey, you’re very much aware of our competition.

It felt fantastic, she’d realized, to see Mia Fey rattled to the core. She was shaking like the coward she was, her hands trembling, beads of sweat gathering on her usually perfectly serene brow. The possibility of being penalized had given her a head-rush; she looked as if she’d pass out on the spot, and all that half-wit coffee-guzzling oaf could do was stand and smirk like this was the world’s biggest practical joke.

Perhaps she had let a grin slip; perhaps that was why Mia Fey had pulled herself together to return Dahlia’s stare with one of her own as calmly as she could manage.

“Umm...” Dahlia Hawthorne turned her sneer into a perfectly endearing angelic smile. “And you would be...?”

The harlot across the room straightened her posture to hide her fraying nerves, gulping back her foreboding. “Huh?”

Oh, you poor thing, Dahlia’s mind purred, how naïve you are. You slack-jawed Neanderthal... Don’t you know who I am?

“I-I’m the defense lawyer...”

Because I know who you are. Mia Fey.

“... My name is Mia Fey.”

A block of silence hung between them, thick and unbreakable as the wall of society that had separated them during their childhood. A shadow of a memory passed over Mia Fey’s eyes like a cloud and quickly dispersed - the identity of the woman on the witness stand evaded her, just as Dahlia Hawtorne knew it would.

“... I see,” Dahlia responded at last, and the excess tension melted away. “So you are...”

And I am Melissa Foster.

Re: SC's Minifics (Updated: Melissa Foster [Mia vs. Dahlia])Topic%20Title

Faith is for the transient people.

It was a great story. You have a great knack for oneshots. Keep 'em coming!
Proud supporter of Phoenix/Iris, past, present and future
Thank you Elriel! :D

True love is forever.

Another great story! It's interesting to see Dahlia's view point through that scene especially since we know Mia's thoughts at the time. You really nailed her character. I love all of your stuff.
Fanfics Updated-12/25

SPOILERS FOR AA AND T&T.
Title: Sincere Condolences
Summary: Lana Skye puzzles over the hardest letter she will ever have to write.
Characters: Lana Skye, Mia Fey, Diego Armando (mentioned)
Pairings: I don't support Lana/Mia - just their friendship. Diego/Mia is mentioned, however.
Trigger: I haven't the faintest clue, but I think you all know that I really love Mia by now.
Music: Happiness - Grant Lee Buffalo
Misc. Notes: I love Lana, too, actually. :lana: This fic is sort of angsty, btw, so tread carefully.
--
For once she had no idea what to expect.

Lana Skye felt a spasm in her lower eyelid as she gazed down at the eternally blank stationary, the silvery tip of her pencil tap-tap-tapping against the desk in an endless refrain. The fingers of her spare hand stroked her chin in a sign of deep thought, her eyes glazed and unfocused as her mind grasped at nothingness in the hopes of ensnaring something to say - anything. It had been just shy of a month since she’d read that awful article, and since then it had been popping up in newspapers like blackheads on a greasy teenaged punk’s face. The story was being told and retold with added details both fictional and true, a smear of off-colored paint that the Prosecutor seemed unable to scrape off of her pristine lifestyle.

Naturally, she’d first dismissed it as a “sad, sad thing” and left it at that. She read deeper into it sooner or later, of course, mostly out of curiosity - the death of a famous attorney was news, no matter how saddening - and that terrible feeling came the moment she had spotted the scarf and the long brown hair in the background of a photograph. The tears were a detail she had overlooked at the time, but she took the bait, hook, line, and sinker.

Diego Armando. Poisoned.

He’d been visiting someone he suspected a murder, according to the sources cited.

Armando...

Mia’s boyfriend.

Lana’s thumb had found its way into her mouth, and she bit down on it as hard as she could. The fact that she had pushed the news away at first disgusted her, made her want to somehow turn her back on herself - while she sat in her alternate reality where nothing bad ever happened to old friends, Mia Fey suffered and cried, appearing in magazines and newspapers Armando’s Lost Lover: Defense Attorney Refuses To Speak Out. Lana knew that was the last thing Mia wanted to be, the only thing Mia never wanted to become - a victim - and yet the media spun a yarn around her and wound it so tightly that she had to retreat to lick her wounds in privacy.

The pencil broke eternity as it started writing.

Ms. Mia Fey

I have just recently heard of what happened. We have been out of touch for a long while, and in that time a gap has grown between us. Undeniable as it may be, I am very much sympathetic towards your situation. I extend my most sincere condolences to you.

Lana Skye

Lana gazed downwards at the words. She stared for a long, long time.

“That’s all, then?” She asked herself aloud. She brought her hand down on the paper and crumpled it up violently, rolling it into a neat little ball. It landed in the garbage bin, the reject pile, with a flick of her wrist.

Sincere condolences. Way to go, Skye.

Her forehead hit the desk with a low ‘thud.’

Way to sound like you don’t care. I haven’t even seen her in...

Lana Skye lifted her head off the desk, and her thoughts broke off like freight train off the tracks.

She knew what she had to do. It was so damn simple...

The car ride was long, and although the quiet music from the radio had fooled her brain into a state of calm, her body still twitched and flinched, largely unsolicited. Nerve-wracking as it were, the action of actually parking the car and physically walking up to the door was even worse. She felt as if she would collapse into herself as she rapped her knuckles curtly against the door, and it took all she had to keep from fleeing.

The stab of guilt she felt right through her torso when Mia Fey appeared in the doorway was almost sickening. Nothing on Earth could have prepared her for the somersault her stomach decided to perform. She squirmed and battled against the urge to look away.

“... Lana?” Mia’s voice was quiet, almost childish, and it spoke the word she was too proud to say herself: Help.

Lana’s arms shot out like the talons of a hawk to its prey, locking a thoroughly puzzled Mia in a firm, supportive embrace. Neither of the two had ever been fond of physical contact - perhaps that was why Mia had gasped - but the compassion they found within the hug swept the tension away.

“Mia,” Lana whispered, unused to the waves of genuine sadness she was receiving from her friend, unused to the empathy. “Mia, I...”

My most sincere condolences, her professional side said. She ignored it.

“I’m so sorry.”

And although Mia had begun to cry, Lana knew she had done the right thing.

Re: SC's Minifics (1/17: Sincere Condolences [LanaMia FriendshipTopic%20Title

True love is forever.

That is so sweet! It was just perfectly written. Nice work.
Fanfics Updated-12/25

Title: Bang
Summary: There was a time when young Neil and Jake Marshall used to play.
Characters: Neil Marshall, Jake Marshall. Skye sisters mentioned briefly.
Location: The Marshall's childhood home, and then... Somewhere else, you'll see if you read it.
Pairings: Nein.
Trigger: The song I was listening to.
Music: Bang Bang - Nancy Sinatra
Misc. Notes: I love the Marshalls, myself, but I had xMr.Tritex and the rest of the 1-5 fans in mind when I wrote this. :D This isn't as good as my usual stuff, I'm totally burnt out from midterms, but it's something... Also, I almost made myself cry with this one, so, enjoy.
--
“Ready? Jake? I’m comin’ fer ya, pardner!” The little boy behind the tree giggled, an eager grin spread across his youthful features. He canted his head off to the side, listening intently for any signs of his prey, his fingertips gripping the rim of his cowboy hat to keep it fixed into place. The area was thinly coated in a light veil of drizzling rain and his clothing was spattered in thick mud, but that didn’t stop the cowboy-in-training: He was on a mission.

“Jake! Where are ya?!” Ultimately, his shouting yielded no response, of course; his older brother was hiding.

Waiting.

Cautious, the tips of his oversized boots sank into the loamy, freshly-soaked earth, mousy eyes peering out from behind the bark. After a few long eternities of hesitation, young Neil Marshall tip-toed out from behind the safety of his tree and locked the fingers of both hands together, his pointer fingers joined in the vaguely familiar shape of a gun muzzle. Jake had to be around here somewhere, he knew that, for hiding outside the boundaries of their yard was not only cheating, but breaking the rules set by their parents; nobody was gutsy enough to defy Mister and Missus Marshall, not even Jake.

He scurried from tree to tree, examining bushes and rocks, peeking under tarps and trash alike. Even at an age tender as his own, Neil had learned the layout of his yard like the back of his tiny hand, and although Jake had a distinct advantage in both years and size, Neil had always been the stealthier, quicker one. Their strengths evened out and turned this game into a battle of wits-- no, not a battle, a war. Cowboys and Indians, but without the Indians.

Neil rounded a corner sharply, pressing his back against the wall like a tiny ninja. His eyes darted left, then right - no sign of the enemy, it seemed. Heaving a comforted sigh, he was calmed by his alleged solitude; he thusly set about checking for his sibling in the pile of wood under the windowsill.

“Bang!”

Neil let out a scream of both terror and delight as his brother burst out from underneath a log, both finger-guns firing in his direction. He knew there was no time to lose; he abandoned his mock firearm and fled, arms flailing wildly in the soggy wind as he made a run for the security of his tree.

“You ain’t gittin’ away that easy, Cornelius!” Jake hollered, laughing into the rainfall. He sprinted in hot pursuit of his younger sibling, mud spewing out from underneath the well-worn soles of his shoes - until he discovered the abandoned hat sitting in the mud, that is.

“... Neil?” Jake kneeled into the muck, paying no mind to the filth. “Ya dropped yer hat - Neil?”

Silence. Then...

“Bang! Bang! Bang!”

Little Neil leapt out from behind the bushes, firing his single ‘pistol’ at his brother in an endless chant of onomatopoeias. The attack caught older Jake by surprise, and he automatically leapt to his feet; he’d never thought that his goofy little brother was bright enough to set up a trap, and he never would have expected that he, the elderly Jake, would fall for it. He had to admit defeat now - Neil deserved the win.

“Oh, you got me, pardner!” He cried, clasping both hands over his heart. He rolled his eyes back, lolled his tongue out, and with that, he toppled backwards into the mud.

The mud stained his jacket, and oh!, did his Mother ever ream him out for that one, but the sound of Neil’s laughter ringing in his ears let him smile through the punishment.

Jake Marshall clutched his hat to his chest, staring down at the pallid face of his younger brother with a dull ache in his heart. The sight of him lying there, unnaturally peaceful and lethargic, made a lump rise into Jake’s throat, but he swallowed it back; the terrible wailing coming from the Skye sisters was more than enough.

Neil Marshall’s hands were folded over the stab wound, terrible irony at its finest; he looked as if he’d been shot in one of their childhood games. His hat covered his belly, largely forgotten - and Jake could have sworn that those mud stains were still there, if only for a moment.

“Bang, bang, bang,” he whispered. “I gotcha, pardner.” Jake found himself waiting for his sibling to rise back up to his feet, to laugh, to ask to play again - but not after milk and cookies, and maybe a story or two from their father.

No such luck.

Re: SC's Minifics (1/24: Bang [Marshalls-Themed])Topic%20Title

True love is forever.

That's so sad... :larry: Another great story. I love how you start with a memory from the past and then bring it back to the present. It really helps the effect of the story. Nice work!
Fanfics Updated-12/25

Slightly Disheveled Radiator

Location: In a box on a hill towards the west banks of an unknown river.

<33 Your thread caught me with the mention of the Marshalls, who in my opinion are seriously underdone. This latest was very well written and very sweet, with a lot of nice attention to detail. You also did a good job of thinking like a child - not to say the writing was childlike, but the prose had a sense of innocence to it (ie, Like cowboys and indians, but without the indians).

I've been lurking a few of your stories now, but this one got me to post! Nice job!
Created by Vickinator, the greatest person EVER.
~ Crying in Public ~ The Kallisti Project: Samurai Arc

Married to Sakuro*And Eximplode07

The Maya Fey of iPods.

Aww! You actually made me cry! ;o;

That was so cute- The Marshalls defiantly need some more love! I've always imagined 'Missus' Marshall as a tough gal, that's for sure. xD
Avatar by Vicki, sig by Mr.Trite. Thanks, guys.

A darling composition. Almost unbearably cute. This here calls fer a hootenanny! :jake:

The Father of Death

"Bang" made me cry.

...Thanks a lot.

The Maya Fey of iPods.

The Doctor wrote:
"Bang" made me cry.

...Thanks a lot.

Don't worry, I cried too. xD

Shaaaaaaak!

I agree with Mia... I love how you start with their childhood games and then, you go to the moment Jake found the body of his brother. And those last two paragraphs are so touching :larry:.
I can't believe that you say that "Bang" is not as good as your other stories. It's one of the best, in my opinion.

D'aww, guys, thank you so much for the feedback! :D I'll be sure to make more cowboy-centric fics in the future. :jake: They're remarkably fun to write for.

I don't like heartrending stuff like this too much, but as you can see other people go for it, so if it's your thing, write more of that!

Quizer
Ultra Course - A Phoenix/Maya fanfiction by Quizer
Quizer's fanfiction thread - Last update: Inconclusive Evidence Part 1/3 (Jan 07, 2008)
Re: SC's Minifics (2/13: Flowers [2 V-Day Fics!])Topic%20Title

Title: Flowers
Summary: 1) Lana receives an anonymous flower and 'does not know if want.' 2) Sometimes 'I love you' means 'I'm sorry.'
Characters: 1) Lana Skye, Neil Marshall. 2) Maggey Byrde, Dick Gumshoe.
Location: 1) Lana's office. 2) Maggey's house, for the most part... Wherever that may be.
Pairings: 1) Neil/Lana. 2) Maggey/Gumshoe.
Trigger: IT'S VALENTINE'S DAY! ... Tomorrow. A friend suggested I write the first fic, so I dedicate it to her.
Music: 1) Don't Forget Me - RHCP. 2) The Scientist - Coldplay (I super love this song.)
Misc. Notes: The first pairing in this fic set is growing on me like a wart on a butt.
--
“They’re my favorite flower, bambina.”

That’s what he had said when he’d first showed them to her, and that’s what the card had read the first time he’d sent them - Lana remembered that much. The simple message had become something of an inside joke between them, and from that point on, she couldn’t lay eyes upon their delicately curled yellow petals without thinking of him and the way he’d smiled so widely when she told him that, yes, they were pretty, and she loved them, too. Her thoughts had turned from affection to despair following his death, of course, but that was to be expected: She’d soiled his memory, mocked his murder, all for the safety of her sister. The sight of them made her stomach roil now, so she’d established a rule - no more flowers, not even on Valentine’s Day.

Naturally, the reasoning behind the fact that a single yellow Chrysanthemum had shown up on her desk on February the 14th evaded her completely.

She had almost been afraid of it at first: The Phantom Flower, out to avenge the memory of her fallen amigo; it was, quite possibly, the most ridiculous idea she’d ever had. It lay on the unforgiving polished surface like a jewel-embedded trap ready to spring the moment she touched it, glowing with an otherworldly radiance that both enthralled and perturbed her, begging her to move forth, to come closer. She’d stood in the doorway for several minutes, analyzing the situation - of course it might have been a test, life was a test - and after a long hesitation, she’d swept up beside it regally as a queen and picked it up by its stem in feigned disdain of the memory the gift-giver had left behind. It shed naught a petal at the sudden motion, smiling up at her with its sunny rays curled upwards, as if pleading for an embrace, and its unruffled feathers had irritated her.

“No tag?” She noted aloud, bothered by the notion. Her irrational side deflated in disappointment - no label that read “they’re my favorite flower,” no endearing note, no Neil Marshall. “Guess that means ‘return to sender’ isn’t an option...”

The Chief Prosecutor pinched the flower with her nails like it was something disgusting to touch and hovered over the wastepaper bin, tempted to release it and let it wither. She waited, however, and her eyes scanned the shadows of her office, irately checking to see if the perpetrator was still lingering there, watching her and waiting.

He wasn’t. But the scent of cigarette smoke was; the scent of leather, the scent of Neil.

She froze and sniffed at the air like a wild animal that had caught the scent of a predator in the wind, blocking out the memories in favor of going on the alert. Nothing but the homey smell of her office returned to greet her - it had been her imagination.

Cautiously, she turned back to her desk (all the while grasping the flower with the tips of her fingers as if it were something despicable and foul). It was still polished, still unfazed by her inner turmoil. She stepped proudly over to it, wrenching open one of the vacant drawers with unneeded force. With a sudden onslaught of gentleness and care, she decisively placed the flower within it - and there it would remain, she knew, even long after it became dilapidated and dusty-brown with age. That’s what love is, after all.

Maggey had come to accept the fact that the loss of Detective Gumshoe’s friendship left her feeling ill.

It was frustrating for her, to express it in simpler terms - she couldn’t identify with those songs on the radio that had whiny boys with over-the-eye haircuts bawling over their lost girlfriends, because it just wasn’t like that, not to her. There was no sadness involved, just guilt, regret, and emptiness; it had been gnawing at her ever since she’d gotten over her blind self-pity (and she still had to thank Mr. Wright and Maya for that - maybe she’d send them flowers), and the bitterness had driven her into a frenzy of desperation.

Her apology to him was completely planned out in her head; she’d gone over it a million times. The only thing left to do was gather up the courage to face him after all the things she’d said. Exactly a week had passed since the conclusion of a case he’d had heavy involvement in - State vs. Sister Iris, to be exact - and this was vital solely because she was now officially out of excuses. There was nothing left to blame for her unwillingness to approach the disheartened detective, no further convenient distractions; it was February 13th, and she knew that if she didn’t beg for his forgiveness soon, she would lose him for good. That was unbearable for her to even think about.

The jerking stop her car made in front of her house had tossed her already uneasy stomach, making her wince. Maggey flopped against her car door to jar it open, her potential failure hanging over her like a thick smog of despair - that she was fully conscious of the fact that her own stubborn foolishness was the culprit of this entire chain of events only made her feel worse. She released some of her pent-up emotions by fiercely punting an unfortunate pebble near her feet on her way up to door, pausing only when she saw it hit against a distant package on her doorstep.

A small pot with a green bush sat whimsically on her ‘Welcome’ mat, splashes of white Gardenia flowers hanging off of its branches. Maggey suppressed a gasp of pleasant surprise, sprinting the rest of the distance between herself and the unexpected gift and lifting it up to further examine it with the delight of a child in a candy store. There was no card, no name, no defined origin; just the pot of flowers.

That, and the distinct sound of carnage from behind the house - the metal garbage cans propped up against the fence had fallen, certainly not on their own.

Curious but still giddy, the cop-gone-waitress hopped off of her porch excitedly with the Gardenias held gingerly in her palms. She rounded the corner to investigate the noise, and the sight there to greet her stopped her in her tracks.

There, buried alive under the toppled trash cans, was Detective Dick Gumshoe.

“... Sir?” For once, Maggey was speechless; completely cowed.

Dick Gumshoe clambered to his feet, flinching anew at the sound the crashing cans produced. His cheeks gradually gathered up a radish-red blush, doubling in embarrassment when he saw the flowers being cradled in Maggey’s arms.

“... I tried to make a clean getaway, pal,” he admitted, avoiding her eyes. “I, uh... The fence. I tried to jump the fence, and...” His flush deepened under Maggey’s unyielding stare of awe. “... But, I, uh... I got you flowers, pal.” The detective’s grin was that of a child caught with his hand in the cookie jar, but her lack of vocal response filled him with dread. She was still angry with him; it was obvious.

Maggey tenderly set the Gardenias down at her feet, her eyes still wide from obvious surprise. She sheepishly shuffled towards him, baby steps, watching him as he cringed like a cornered animal waiting to be devoured. For a moment she found herself debating her next course of action; before she could make a rational decision, however, she’d already run at him and grabbed him up in a tight embrace, to which he responded quite gratefully with the same.

And as it turned out, that was better than any old practiced apology, anyway.

True love is forever.

Aw... so sweet (and sad for the Neil/Lana one). I love it.
Fanfics Updated-12/25

Fantastic! Both stories are gold! *gestures at heart* Gets ya right here, man.

Title: Sledding
Summary: Lana is forced to take the Marshalls and her sister sledding after a very scarce snowfall.
Characters: Lana Skye, Ema Skye, Jake Marshall, Neil Marshall.
Pairings: N/A
Trigger: I really want it to snow. ;____;
Music: Desperado - Eagles
Misc. Notes: Oh, Neil.
--
I refuse to believe this is happening, Lana Skye thought bitterly as she helped the group lug their sleds up that god-forsaken death trap of a scarcely-snow-covered hill. It snows a couple of measly inches and all of them are begging me on hands and knees to go sledding. Though it seemed to be the stuff of nightmares, there was no doubt that it was actually happening: Jake and Neil Marshall were flanking her, prancing like show dogs, and Ema skipped merrily ahead with a grin for the ages.

And somehow she’d gotten stuck toting all three of their sleds.

Naturally, Jake wanted to ride first. Standing atop the unsteady mound of earth, Lana realized yet again with a truly sick feeling how scantily the surface was clad by snow. This was hardly the weather for sledding - it was barely even cold enough for winter jackets.

“Maybe we should rethink this,” she offered, the voice of reason. “It’s supposed to snow some more tonight. We can go again tomorrow.”

Jake made a noise that could have been some form of ‘no’ and flipped his hand at her dismissively, squatting down on the sled that was far too small for him with a look of purpose. Lana’s cheeks colored with frustration, but she knew there was nothing more she could do; she tossed both hands into the air in a gesture of defeat and took a step back, sighing in exasperation.

The older Marshall was off like a rocket down the hill, his cry of ‘yeehaw!’ hanging in the air long after he’d reached the bottom and spun out like a top. Beside Lana, Ema erupted into bouts of excited laughter and darted forward, her endless cries of ‘me next! me next!’ forming nothing but a headache for her older sibling.

Fortunately for the Skye gene pool, Ema was not quite as careless as Jake Marshall, and she took her time in plotting out the safest route of passage. Unfortunately for the Skye gene pool, every few inches seemed to have a jutting rock of death positioned haphazardly in the way. The rock to snow ratio was in the favor of the rocks, and Lana felt a migraine coming on.

The overwhelming odds were not enough to stop the smaller Skye. Down she went, a high-pitched ‘whee!’ trailing behind her until her sled stopped short against a rock and pitched her off, sending her tumbling the rest of the way down. Lana wasn’t even aware of the distance her feet had moved until she felt Neil’s hand heavy on her shoulder.

“Y’don’t have to check on her every time she gets a scrape, bambina,” he said in a matter-of-fact tone that made Lana’s fists clench. “She’s fine. Look - see her laughin’?”

Lana did see her sister laughing, and that defeated sigh came back with a vengeance. She shuffled back to her former post and folded her arms, leering at Neil expectantly; it was his turn, after all.

As it turns out, Neil was either very daring or very stupid - or both. The rough rides his comrades had experienced were apparently not enough to dissuade him from his goal: It fact, he seemed to raise the stakes. He stepped onto the sled - literally stepped onto it, in the pose of a surfer - and before the words ‘don’t you dare’ could leave Lana’s lips, down he went.

Of course, he’d only gained a few feet of distance before the sled jerked and went flying out from underneath him. It was a scene right out of a cartoon - he was doing somersaults and rolls to make a gymnast green with envy, bouncing between rocks and branches like a pinball. Lana was at first unsure of whether to be horrified or smug, but as Neil landed sprawled out on his back, she decided on the latter.

The Prosecutor took her time picking her way down the hill, careful not to get any of the now muddied snow on her scarf. She noted with amusement that Jake and Ema’s faces were masks of horror, afraid to approach what they could only assume to now be a corpse. Cheered considerably, she slid past the last few inches of ground and dismounted, landing beside Neil with the grace of a feline. Though his face glittered with blood, stark red against the color of his Texan skin, his entire body was quivering with laughter.

“Hate to say I told you so...” She began, savoring her victory.

“Ya sure told me, bambina,” he agreed. Lana frowned for a moment; she’d been expecting him to be more difficult than this.

“Well, it just goes to show you,” she crooned, trying her hardest to add salt to the wound, “people who laugh after they get hurt don’t always just have a scrape.”

Neil winked up at her, using his white sleeve to rub the blood off her face in a barbaric manner that made Lana wince. “I guess you were right, ducky,” he purred.

Silence fell between them.

“Fer once,” he added.

It was a good thing Neil’s nose was probably already broken, because Lana would’ve been more than happy to do the job herself.

Re: SC's Minifics (2/19: Sledding [Marshalls and Skyes])Topic%20Title

Inconceivable!

Your fics make me happy. :v

.. Oh, Neil, indeed.. ):
Re: SC's Minifics (2/19: Sledding [Marshalls and Skyes])Topic%20Title

The Maya Fey of iPods.

I loved it! I agree- "Oh, Neil." D: xD

My favorite part had to be at the end when Neil addresses Lana as 'ducky'. If she had actually punched him in the face, I can imagine Jake laughing- I don't think Neil would be as lucky with woman as Jake probably is, considering his looks. Except for me, of course What? I didn't say that. >_>
Page 1 of 3 [ 89 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Board index » Present Evidence » Present Testimony