Board index » Present Evidence » Cosplay

Page 3 of 6[ 225 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Re: Making a Godot Costume, need adviceTopic%20Title

Ugh... bad Internet connection here. AGAIN. Ignore this post, pals~
:keylady: Hmmmm... whatever, it is time to fly return~ :edgy:

(7o_o)7 Sprite Arts Game char Deja-vus? Chores AA char in 3D! Ryu CR!

People should live freely without constraints.
That's how life should be! -
Richard Wellington

Last edited by Ryu on Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

AKA Dr. Bokchoy

You just said that...

Ten minutes ago...

VERY BAD INTERNET CONNECTION~
:keylady: Hmmmm... whatever, it is time to fly return~ :edgy:

(7o_o)7 Sprite Arts Game char Deja-vus? Chores AA char in 3D! Ryu CR!

People should live freely without constraints.
That's how life should be! -
Richard Wellington

TLS Admin and Representative

I'm hoping that the Godot's mask being made for people other than Godot doesn't turn into another Akatsuki Coat fiasco where everyone wore an Akatsuki jacket whether they were cosplaying as an actual Akatsuki or not...

Legendary Agent

Oh, don't worry about that. I am cosplaying Godot. :Db You can see my wig in its box in the picture of the mask sitting on my desk.
"Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life." - Terry Pratchett

ggmoonycrisco wrote:
Oh, don't worry about that. I am cosplaying Godot. :Db You can see my wig in its box in the picture of the mask sitting on my desk.

...then I'm good.

ggmoonycrisco, out of curiosity, where did you get your wig? I am also cosplaying Godot (although not until the summer) and I can't seem to find a good wig without bangs. KaZzu's was great, but I can't find one that looks like it on eBay.

Legendary Agent

http://www.cosworx.com/product.php?productid=25876&cat=2449&page=1

I bought this wig in white. I'm purposely doing a female version of Godot, so I bought a woman's wig. However, if you were good at styling I bet you could cut this one down right. That site also has some short wigs without bangs that might work also.
"Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life." - Terry Pratchett

Ah, okay. That wig might be a bit long for my taste, but for anyone who has wig styling experience, what are your opinions on this wig in white:
http://www.cosworx.com/product.php?prod ... 471&page=1

The back looks good in that it is already somewhat spiky, but since i have never styled a wig before, I don't know how it would look to try and get the front part to lay back like Godot's hair. Does anyone know how hard that would be? I looked at all of the short wigs on that site and none of them were swept back, they were all parted in some way.

ggmoonycrisco wrote:
http://www.cosworx.com/product.php?productid=25876&cat=2449&page=1

I bought this wig in white. I'm purposely doing a female version of Godot, so I bought a woman's wig. However, if you were good at styling I bet you could cut this one down right. That site also has some short wigs without bangs that might work also.

Thanks for the link. Now I actually know where to find a wig cap and a cheap wig for my Redd White cosplay that I plan to do for Anime Boston. I am much appreciative.

Valant Ocelot

Balrog wrote:
But cool people do smoke, everyone knows you gotta smoke to be cool >>

You played MGS way too many times!! Anyway I was slightly curious of the Godot costume when I saw the thread and Kazzu you really got it right and impressed me even though I despise cosplay. I mean come on, WHY? ( No need to answer, most people do it for fun.. I just don't get it =o )
^ lolz ocelot

~Darker than a moonless night

Wind Fish wrote:
Balrog wrote:
But cool people do smoke, everyone knows you gotta smoke to be cool >>

You played MGS way too many times!! Anyway I was slightly curious of the Godot costume when I saw the thread and Kazzu you really got it right and impressed me even though I despise cosplay. I mean come on, WHY? ( No need to answer, most people do it for fun.. I just don't get it =o )

I do it for epic lulz. And ive found it a recent hobby to make props, so that makes it extra fun to make your own stuff and showcase it around xD

Thanks for the compliment ^^; There's so much more I want to do with the costume that I hope I can do at either AX or Anime Evolution

KaZzu wrote:
There's so much more I want to do with the costume that I hope I can do at either AX or Anime Evolution

Spoiler: 3-5
Cane Sword, Mr. KaZzu... the Cane-Sword!!

Valant Ocelot

Hakuro de Killer wrote:
KaZzu wrote:
There's so much more I want to do with the costume that I hope I can do at either AX or Anime Evolution

Spoiler: 3-5
Cane Sword, Mr. KaZzu... the Cane-Sword!!

Stop saying that :edgeworth:
^ lolz ocelot

KaZuu, your Godot costume is by far the most accurate cosplay of the character that I've seen so far!
Along with the threads and the mask, you've even gotten the hair down to the right length (too many attempts ended with "Poofy Godots", IMO).

As far as props go for the mask, let's see...
You have "regular", "glowing", and "bleeding" (a WIP, if I recall?).
How about "exploding"? XD
Wii Code: 2249-0584-6376-4379
Brawl Code: 1289-8098-6633/EGX
Mario Kart Wii: 2105-9059-1291

EliteGamerX wrote:
KaZuu, your Godot costume is by far the most accurate cosplay of the character that I've seen so far!
Along with the threads and the mask, you've even gotten the hair down to the right length (too many attempts ended with "Poofy Godots", IMO).

As far as props go for the mask, let's see...
You have "regular", "glowing", and "bleeding" (a WIP, if I recall?).
How about "exploding"? XD

Wouldn't exploding require some kind of sparkler and/or very small firework and/or actual gunpowder? First of all, that would destroy KaZzu's mask. Second, it could destroy his face, making him blind. Third, it could kill him and fourth, it would only be a one-time pose.

Now if KaZzu did the three screencap poses of the animation, I could doctor an explosion in there to make him appear to do the animation if I had his full consent to such a thing.

Now, for a proper animation, the camera used absolutely cannot move after the first picture. Unless you have a tripod, I reccommend using a webcam program to take a picture with that, using a mouse with your unseen hand to click the button on the screen to take a snapshot of that. For the second and third animations, pose exactly as that part of the animation shows and hold still as you take the picture. This could be very hard for the third one, but it should come out well if I doctor it properly.

Also, when taking the pictures, try to remain in the exact same area during each picture. If you don't, the animation will get messed up as you will not only be in a different location (making piecing together the animation difficult), but more often than not your distance from the camera will also change, making it impossible to make the animation.

Again, I offer all of my services free of charge.

This does not include handing people out sexual favors/pictures/VA work, etc. You know who you are.

Ace Prosecutor

Well, I've finally started getting things finalized for my Godot costume, I've got a good sized sheet of Wonderflex and a bottle of Friendly Plastic, along with my wig coming in hopefully some time next week, but I've only got about 2 weeks after till its debut and I've run into a few snags I'm hoping you guys might be able to help with:

1. The coffee mug - I thought this would be the easiest part, but I'm finding it surprisingly difficult to find a plain, white, undecorated coffee mug.

2. The vest - I've looked into most of the department stores and formal wear stores in the area and anything that doesn't have 5 buttons or was made specifically for a tuxedo is too expensive for me to want mod for this one costume.

3. The sleeve-adjusters - I've never actually seen these in any store I've been to, and I'm kind of at a loss for where to start looking.

4. Paint - Don't get me wrong, I know where to get the stuff, but my knowledge about paints and their application to Wonderflex/Friendly Plastic pretty much ends there.

5. Red plastic sheets - I knew the mask would be the hardest part, but dealing with the red visor portions has proven to be more troublesome than I had originally thought it'd be. I thought red transparency sheets might work, possibly from a FedEx Kinko's or something, but I got a last minute back up plan using Friendly Plastic and red food coloring should they not have what I need.

The earrings I figured I'd make from some Wonderflex scraps I'd have after crafting the mask, it'd give me a chance to practice painting and molding the material. I decided to forgo the EL wire for the glowing mask in favor of jacking my brother's Shuffle to play Godot's theme whenever I go into character. :godot:

Any thoughts for a time-constrained, freakin' out cosplayer?

BlueBomber wrote:
Well, I've finally started getting things finalized for my Godot costume, I've got a good sized sheet of Wonderflex and a bottle of Friendly Plastic, along with my wig coming in hopefully some time next week, but I've only got about 2 weeks after till its debut and I've run into a few snags I'm hoping you guys might be able to help with:

1. The coffee mug - I thought this would be the easiest part, but I'm finding it surprisingly difficult to find a plain, white, undecorated coffee mug.

2. The vest - I've looked into most of the department stores and formal wear stores in the area and anything that doesn't have 5 buttons or was made specifically for a tuxedo is too expensive for me to want mod for this one costume.

3. The sleeve-adjusters - I've never actually seen these in any store I've been to, and I'm kind of at a loss for where to start looking.

4. Paint - Don't get me wrong, I know where to get the stuff, but my knowledge about paints and their application to Wonderflex/Friendly Plastic pretty much ends there.

5. Red plastic sheets - I knew the mask would be the hardest part, but dealing with the red visor portions has proven to be more troublesome than I had originally thought it'd be. I thought red transparency sheets might work, possibly from a FedEx Kinko's or something, but I got a last minute back up plan using Friendly Plastic and red food coloring should they not have what I need.

The earrings I figured I'd make from some Wonderflex scraps I'd have after crafting the mask, it'd give me a chance to practice painting and molding the material. I decided to forgo the EL wire for the glowing mask in favor of jacking my brother's Shuffle to play Godot's theme whenever I go into character. :godot:

Any thoughts for a time-constrained, freakin' out cosplayer?

For the last minute stuff, I can help you with a couple things...

If you have a Michaels in the area, they sell blank mugs usually in the kids section.

I made my armband things out of some black vinyl, found at most fabric stores.

For the red plastic... I used some football visor inserts I bought from ebay. They work really really nice, its just a little spendy.

hope that helps ya some.

Ace Prosecutor

I'd never thought of that football-visor thing, I just found one and it looks perfect if I'd be willing to shell out 30 bucks for the thing. Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure I have a Michaels in the area so I'll be sure to pop in and give it a look around.

I guess all I need now are the vest and some tips on how to paint the mask and I might just pull this thing off, maybe...

Legendary Agent

Blue Bomber, a much much cheaper alternative for the red part is PVC plastic. You can buy sheets of it plenty big enough for the visor at a hobby store (like where you buy model kits and stuff like that) for as little as two bucks a sheet. It's as flexible as a transparency and very easy to work with.

For my visor, I sandwiched a piece of clear PVC in between two red pieces to make it a little thicker and sturdier. I beg you, please do not use food coloring!

Legendary Agent

Sorry I forgot to mention that I also made my mask out of Wonderflex. There is a great FAQ about it on this site:

http://www.cosplaysupplies.com/wonderfl ... exFAQ.html

It tells you how best to paint it. I followed the instructions on the site, with the gessoing and the sanding to make it smooth. Then I painted the back half with flat black spray paint and the front (shiny) half with chrome silver. The chrome looks very very cool, but if you do this BE ABSOLUTELY SURE IT'S DRY BEFORE YOU TOUCH IT. It leaves fingerprints VERY BADLY if it's not dry yet, and they show up very easily on the silver paint.

Gesso is a little bit expensive but I picked up a small bottle of it for seven dollars at Michael's.

COFFEH!

I made my mask out of craft foam which is similar to wonderflex... here's a tutorial for using craft foam if you're interested.
http://www.entropyhouse.com/penwiper/co ... sdeep.html
By the way what con are you planning to attend bluebomber? I have a con coming up in about 2 weeks as well.
"Humans aren't machines... They have souls, feelings. They live, they hate, they love, they die... And yes, they even make mistakes... ...To err is human, to forgive divine."
-Godot

Ace Prosecutor

ggmoonycrisco wrote:
Blue Bomber, a much much cheaper alternative for the red part is PVC plastic. You can buy sheets of it plenty big enough for the visor at a hobby store (like where you buy model kits and stuff like that) for as little as two bucks a sheet. It's as flexible as a transparency and very easy to work with.

For my visor, I sandwiched a piece of clear PVC in between two red pieces to make it a little thicker and sturdier. I beg you, please do not use food coloring!

What hobby store would I be able to find it in? I've already checked my local Hobby Lobby, but they only had it in clear white and didn't seem to really know what I was talking about. I just remembered there's a Michaels somewhat nearby, so I'll pop in later to give it a check. The food coloring just came to me in a passing thought since I was thinking of alternatives should I completely run out of options. I'm just glad it didn't come to that, I only ordered a small bottle of Friendly Plastic and wouldn't have had much extra for experimenting with colors.
Godou wrote:
By the way what con are you planning to attend bluebomber? I have a con coming up in about 2 weeks as well.

I'm heading to A-Kon in Dallas, but some things have come up that might throw a wrench in the operation so to speak. One of my friends couldn't get vacation for the con, so we're out one roommate. I've already sent the money order for the mask materials and the wig, so I'm already $60 committed to going.

Legendary Agent

You'll have to try a more specialized hobby store than a place like Michael's or Hobby Lobby. The hobby store I went to is the type that sells models-- model planes, rockets and boats, things for working with RC airplanes, roleplaying game supplies, plastic model paint, etc. Where I live it's called Colpar Hobbies, but I've seen a similar place called Hobbytown USA. (FUN GAME: take a shot for every time I just said "hobby") Ask for transparent PVC plastic.

It comes in various thicknesses (most of them feel about like an overhead transparency in sturdiness) It looks like this:

Like I said, I cut the red sheet in half, cut out the shape I needed from all three sheets, and sandwiched them red | clear | red to give my "glass" a little more sturdiness. It's quite easy to see through as a bonus, too.

Ace Prosecutor

How easy would applying the curve to the plastic be, any heat necessary?

BlueBomber wrote:
How easy would applying the curve to the plastic be, any heat necessary?

From the sounds of it, as long as you have a frame to attach the lens to, you can just hotglue the plastic in place.

ggmoonycrisco wrote:
You'll have to try a more specialized hobby store than a place like Michael's or Hobby Lobby. The hobby store I went to is the type that sells models-- model planes, rockets and boats, things for working with RC airplanes, roleplaying game supplies, plastic model paint, etc. Where I live it's called Colpar Hobbies, but I've seen a similar place called Hobbytown USA. (FUN GAME: take a shot for every time I just said "hobby") Ask for transparent PVC plastic.

It comes in various thicknesses (most of them feel about like an overhead transparency in sturdiness) It looks like this:

Like I said, I cut the red sheet in half, cut out the shape I needed from all three sheets, and sandwiched them red | clear | red to give my "glass" a little more sturdiness. It's quite easy to see through as a bonus, too.

Very cool, I might have to get some of that. That would work amazingly for a different project that Im working on.

Legendary Agent

Yes, the best thing about that PVC stuff is it's extremely flexible-- just like an overhead transparency that your teachers use. It requires absolutely no heat to bend it however you need it to curve. That's why I used the clear piece along with the reds-- to give it a little more thickness and make it a bit less bendy. I just superglued it to the front half of my visor.

ggmoonycrisco wrote:
Yes, the best thing about that PVC stuff is it's extremely flexible-- just like an overhead transparency that your teachers use. It requires absolutely no heat to bend it however you need it to curve. That's why I used the clear piece along with the reds-- to give it a little more thickness and make it a bit less bendy. I just superglued it to the front half of my visor.

Curious. From the pictures, it kinda looked like the stuff you were using was plexiglass.

@ggmoonycrisco - I'm doing a female Godot too. Do you have any advice for making spikes on the wig and still leaving it female-looking?

Does anyone know where to get the vest?
Thank you to Zinle for the capeless Trucy
Sig by eliska

COFFEH!

BlueBomber wrote:
ggmoonycrisco wrote:

What hobby store would I be able to find it in?

Personally I would recommend using plastic as well. That's what I did for mine. You can find color plastic at any plastic store near yourself like if you have a TAP Plastics or something similar. It's already colored and pretty cheap! I got 3 feet of the stuff and 3 feet of reflective film for about $7, a bargain in my opinion.

By the way I was looking at your first post and I had a difficult time finding a plain white mug as well. I was looking in all the wrong places as well too I guess. You should go check by your local dollar store. That's where I found mine... haha.

Sleeve adjusters I can't find either... I'm either going to be missing them from my costume I guess...

I was planning to use some charity bands but those didn't work out too well... If worst comes to worst I'm maybe planning to use long strips of velcro or get some scraps of cloth and attach a belt end to it.
"Humans aren't machines... They have souls, feelings. They live, they hate, they love, they die... And yes, they even make mistakes... ...To err is human, to forgive divine."
-Godot

COFFEH!

Sorry... >.< Double-post.
-Godot

Legendary Agent

serpensortia wrote:
@ggmoonycrisco - I'm doing a female Godot too. Do you have any advice for making spikes on the wig and still leaving it female-looking?

Does anyone know where to get the vest?

I haven't exactly decided how or if I am going to spike my wig. I'm not very good at styling wigs so I might just leave it unspiked, but I may experiment with it. I would probably suggest not going overboard on the spikes... perhaps just feathering it a little bit rather than going all out for spikes. Spikes are pretty unfeminine in general, heh.

And I made my vest with an easy pattern by Simplicity. I found a nice tan pinstripe pattern and used a black liner and back.

COFFEH!

Well I got back from Fanime and debuted my Godot there. I was a bit disappointed about my wig since it wasn't agreeing with me but I got in some epic fanservice pictures.
Hope you guys enjoy! ^^ :godot:

PHOENIX WRIGHT REPRESENT!
Toaster face...
:spload:

And an epic video ftw:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4f_CXy7GS44
-Godot

Phff, You call this a Zombie apocalypse?

Wow, nice costume XD
Gyakuten Phoenix wrote:
Yeah, well maybe if I wasn't so much better than everyone else, I wouldn't have to talk about it so much.

Awesome costume, especially the mask! Where'd you find the sleeve garters? And those pics are awesome, especially the recreation of the big *KABOOM* moment in 3-5.
Thank you to Zinle for the capeless Trucy
Sig by eliska

COFFEH!

:godot:
@Balrog:
Thanks!~ I really appreciate the feedback! ^^

@serpensortia:
I really love the Final Objection also ^^ One of my favorite pics from Fanime. I actually made the arm garters at the last moment. I took an old belt that no longer fit me and cut it and sewed to the shape of my bicep... Didn't know why I didn't think of that earlier... >.>
-Godot

Ace Prosecutor

That thing looks great, hope I can get mine up to speed eventually

Unfortunately, I had to skip out on A-Kon due to a lack of preparation time and inability to procure red transparencies I could actually see through, but I'm gonna take the extra time I've got now to make it perfect for Sakura-Con next year. I just didn't want to skimp out and bring a costume that looked rushed and lacked polish. That being said, every other problem I've had is pretty much alleviated with the much needed time that I now have, though the one thing I'm still having trouble with is the visor part. Not a single specialized hobby shop or specialty plastic store in the area, nor office supply store that can produce anything similar. Anything I've found online is either the perfect color and reflectiveness but completely opaque, or transparent enough that you could still see the person's eyes. That reflective film I saw on that TAP plastics site was amazing, though it seems it's only in silver and I'm not sure if it's reflective on both sides. Any one have any suggestions for a good compromise I could find on the internet, or barring that just a place I could buy the PVC plastic mentioned so often in this thread?

Also, how easy is it to see through your respective masks? I wear glasses and figured I'd make it a little bigger to accommodate, but if that proves infeasible I may have to go without. It would kind of suck if after all that I still couldn't end up seeing my way around when I walked :sawit:

Legendary Agent

BlueBomber, you're not gonna find it in any other than the transparent or opaque versions. My plastic is transparent-- but trust me when I say other people can't see your eyes through it, especially if you layer more than one piece together. You can see out just fine but unless someone is staring directly at your eyes from inches away, they won't see it and it doesn't show up in pictures.

By the way, here's my whole Godot (Godette) outfit at Acen.

I am thinking about switching to a miniskirt instead of slacks to accentuate the genderswap. What do you guys think?

ggmoonycrisco wrote:
BlueBomber, you're not gonna find it in any other than the transparent or opaque versions. My plastic is transparent-- but trust me when I say other people can't see your eyes through it, especially if you layer more than one piece together. You can see out just fine but unless someone is staring directly at your eyes from inches away, they won't see it and it doesn't show up in pictures.

By the way, here's my whole Godot (Godette) outfit at Acen.

I am thinking about switching to a miniskirt instead of slacks to accentuate the genderswap. What do you guys think?

I never thought I'd say this in general, but you make a cute Godot!

COFFEH!

@ggmoonycrisco:
Nice Godot! ^^

@BlueBomber:
For mask visibility it's pretty damn clear to see through mine, but of course everything's red
Spoiler:
when I shouldn't see red...
*cough cough* (currently out of character). :godot:
Just if you're planning to put EL wire for the glowy effect of the mask I wouldn't prefer it... I couldn't see through that with the lights on behind the mask. In conclusion, just don't have any light behind the mask or it'll reflect back.
It is reflective on both sides, but if you have it close to your face it should be no problem. However with the fact that you wear glasses and if you're planning to wear it underneath... It may cause a bit of lower visibility but should still be pretty clear.
-Godot
Page 3 of 6 [ 225 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Board index » Present Evidence » Cosplay