Board index » General » Trial Minutes

Page 1 of 2[ 51 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next

OC Contest Winners!Topic%20Title

nuuuuu, stoooooop

The contest winners are up! You can go see the full results HERE.

Congratulations to our winners, and thanks to everyone who entered and participated. Since turn out this year was so much higher than last, I'm already planning on holding the contest again next year. See you then!
Re: OC Contest Winners!Topic%20Title

操纵距离程度的能力

Yaaaaaaaay!!!

Congratulations to Flame, Yesi-chan and t3h waffleman~~~~~~~~~ :edgy: :edgy: :edgy:
You can call me whatever you want:3

My OTP of OTP's. <3

Congratulations to the winners!! :edgy:

I'm glad to see that 2 out of the 3 I voted for, won. :phoenix:
Thanks to .•°٭blinq٭°•. for the lovely sig. ♥
"Note to Self: Don't get in crouton's way when it comes to Edgeworth. She WILL bite." - PhoenixFire

I'd say

Indeed, congratulations!

e × e = e²

Everyone donate to CR! Funds = fabulous prizes for next year

The winners were a little too easy to predict, I fear.
ImageImageImageImageImage

pixel artist

Congratulations to the winners. I was pretty sure once I saw Yuanfang's get in that she was going to cinch a spot.

Dera Deval (37) 2%
Milla Pe (17) 1%

That's odd. The work put into scratch sprites must be overlooked around here... or maybe Milla just wasn't interesting enough. :payne: Hopefully I'll do better next year...

The hope that shines through despair.

YES~

I'll need to get clearance to release my address, but you'll have it by the end of next week. How long do you think it'll take for the cards to come?

EDIT: I also invite all to read my fanfic over at its thread. There are effects there that weren't possible in the file seen in the contest. The link is the award in my sig.

Last edited by T3h_Waffleman on Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Congrats to all the winners! I think all the entrants should be appreciated as well. (not just the finalists!). The entries this year were super cool.

I really admire your ability to work from scratch, Seka. Seriously, I'm not kidding! I tried it once, and it was quite difficult. -shot-

And thanks to everyone who voted for me, the judges and Croik! X3

The best damn attorney you'll ever know

Congrats to the winners! How exciting. oohh I really loved all the entries.

I might enter the next one

Mwahahahaha... I know you too well...

Deviant art I have barely any watchers so some people actually looking at my stuff would be nice.

HA! TAKE THAT, HILARY CLINTON!

wow O_O i'm so happy i'm almost beyond words right now XD congratulations to T3h_Waffleman and Yesi-Chan >w< all the runner ups and Croik's choice winners were amzing too OvO but mostly it's great to finally get to see everyone's entries, such a great bunch of entries this year >w<

thanks for those who supported me >w<

(Tuesday, thanks >w< hugs!)

What am I Prosecuting fooooooor!?

I’m very disappointed with the results of the contest this year. Very disappointed… I worked really hard on my sprite sheet. REALLY HARD. I thought people could appreciate the fact that someone could actually make something from scratch and have it look decent. I’m glad Yesi-chan won the contest. Her sprite looked good, if not, a little too cartoony. I’m not sore that I didn’t get 1st place. Second place would have been great and 3rd would have been just fine. But when I see the edits that pushed me to second to last, it just irritates me that a lot of people got they’re friends to come to the site and vote for just them. I didn’t ask anyone to vote for me, because I thought I could win with my skills alone. That and I thought it would be unfair. And I’m sorry but some of the entrant’s sprites just looked way too frankensteinish. And yes, I understand that making sprites isn’t easy, especially Ace Attorney ones but resized heads on a body just seems like poor work to me. I also know I didn’t write a plethora of things about my character, but I figured a brief description would have been more efficient, considering this part of the contest dealt with sprites. I don’t think I’m going to enter next years contest if this is all my hard work is going to get me. I thought I could impress people with MY skills alone, as a sprite artist. I was wrong…

e × e = e²

"Veronica Simil" seems to be one of the few "scratch sprite" entries, yeah, but I would think on that grounds y'all might want to reconsider your strong words.

EDIT: Go me, missing what you actually said in the tangle of whine vines. Honestly...

Last edited by MoronSonOfBoron on Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

I'd say

Tell me something, why do you create sprites in the first place?

Look, you made it to the finals wich means your sprites are of good quality, but you're way too fixated on the concept of recognition from others.

Instead of nagging about the fact that you didn't win, take pride in that you made it this far and continue to hone your skills.

操纵距离程度的能力

SilentBobX wrote:
I’m very disappointed with the results of the contest this year. Very disappointed… I worked really hard on my sprite sheet. REALLY HARD. I thought people could appreciate the fact that someone could actually make something from scratch and have it look decent. I’m glad Yesi-chan won the contest. Her sprite looked good, if not, a little too cartoony. I’m not sore that I didn’t get 1st place. Second place would have been great and 3rd would have been just fine. But when I see the edits that pushed me to second to last, it just irritates me that a lot of people got they’re friends to come to the site and vote for just them. I didn’t ask anyone to vote for me, because I thought I could win with my skills alone. That and I thought it would be unfair. And I’m sorry but some of the entrant’s sprites just looked way too frankensteinish. And yes, I understand that making sprites isn’t easy, especially Ace Attorney ones but resized heads on a body just seems like poor work to me. I also know I didn’t write a plethora of things about my character, but I figured a brief description would have been more efficient, considering this part of the contest dealt with sprites. I don’t think I’m going to enter next years contest if this is all my hard work is going to get me. I thought I could impress people with MY skills alone, as a sprite artist. I was wrong…

Well...sorry you didn't win, but you know...you were not the only one who worked hard. Even others' sprites look poor to you doesn't mean they made less effort. If you think you failed because of the brief description, I hate to say that but it was all your fault. :yuusaku:

I mean, come on, it's a contest, not your birthday party. For sure everyone enter the contest because they want to win, but I would say they should be ready to lose at the mean time.

Sorry if I've said too much, no offense.
You can call me whatever you want:3

pixel artist

I agree with you SilentBobX, and I'm not just being a sore loser here - there's absolutely no thought put into the actual spritework in the sprite category - it might as well be fanart. I understand that Milla and Dera might not have been in the AA style, but they were most likely A. the sprites with the most effort put into them (I spent around 8 hours straight making Milla), B. the ones that used pixel techniques to the best (anti-aliasing, selout, etc). And also, the whole 'friends voting for friends' thing... come on, I know it's practically impossible to disallow friend votes on this kind of contest, but it's annoying to see your hard work bumped to the bottom by several mixes and edits.
To be honest I'm glad Yesi and Yuanfang won, as their sprites were probably better than mine anatomy and style-wise, but it's just extremely disheartening to see that you came in dead last just because AA fans don't care about pixel techniques.

e × e = e²

Okay, seriously? Calm down.

It's not like your entries were pummeled by a several-hundred vote lead in the category, and it was blatantly obvious they were a winner based on popularity.

And then you get passed up for Croik's Choice, which goes to that very same champion.

And then you had to deal with the champion's very bad behavior in other parts of the community.

Have I said a peep about it all? It's been a year now, and nope. Nothing. Not until now.

If I can suck it up, so can you.

pixel artist

I just checked the OC archives for last year, and there's one veeery large discrepancy between your entry, Boron, and SilentBob's and my own -
your's was fanfiction.
Fanfiction and sprites are a very different matter. I feel your pain here, but I doubt you understand what I was just talking about with use of pixelart techniques.

e × e = e²

Pixel art technique, writing technique, it's all the same.

pixel artist

I don't think writers use antialias too much, but I understand what you're saying.
I'm sorry for complaining. SilentBob's post got me a little worked up.

carving wooden attorneys

ahhh I see I end up in the fifth place... I'm glad though! Thanks a lot to everyone who voted for me! :edgy:

It's a surprise that the fanart entries I supported (apart from me) didn't win XD; Although, since this year's entries are really good, it's not surprising to see the winners are not who I expected ^^

Now if you excuse me... *goes to a corner to swallow the bitter taste of truth* :acro:
My fanart thread: Yukawa's Fanarts My deviantart: arashi-yukawa

Please visit! :edgy:

「エメラルドスプラッシュ」

Well, I'll admit that I'm not entirely happy with how my sprite-sheet was presented (I think my worst row was picked, and it's not even like it was the first row on the sheet), but I had a lot of worthy competitors. I, like Bob, expected to be judged on my merit as a sprite artist, so my brief description was fairly, well, brief. I worked on my sheet over the course of several months, and not even everything I've made for Ami showed up on that sheet, because Reminiscence~Countdown can't be spoiled yet and because I wanted to stick to her main outfit and poses. But I lost all the same, and whether it was because of rampant friend-voting or genuine effort and thought (I'm mostly inclined towards the latter), it all doesn't really matter...

This contest, though fun, is pretty insignificant in the grand scheme of things. So cheer up, eh SilentBob? I have always been a fan of your artwork since I first came to CR, and I admire your ability to do work from scratch, and in the end you've already more than proven your worth as a capable sprite artist. See how far we made it out of so many entries? That's a victory in and of itself.

Congratulations to all the winners! I hope you enjoy a little glory and a sweet pack of Ace Attorney cardy goodness. Thank you SO much to everyone who voted for me. ^_^

HA! TAKE THAT, HILARY CLINTON!

choco-yukawa: aww you came in fifth? that's already really good OvO at least you made it into the finalists. thinking back about this year's entries, it's so sad Tuesday's didn't make it, it's an absolutely amazing picture, and if only I bothered her less and she had less school things to do, I'd be so surprised if it didn't make top 3 OvO You said you were surprised the winners were not what you were expecting...well I was surprised too OvO not only that I won, but also at some of the other contestants which didn't make top 6 which i thought would lol

awww don't be bitter >w< *pats*

Tajiri: yeah >w< it's only winning out of a mere 60(?)something entries and a pack of rare ace attorney cards, it's no big deal, there's always other contests coming up OvO i think...but no reason for the sprite winner to not enjoy some playing cards and a little recognition XD

carving wooden attorneys

^ yeah, I guess not a lot of people didn't think like us, eh? XD I've seen people's oc that didn't make it to the deadline, if they do maybe the competition would be even tighter XD

Chaos wolf

Congrats to the winners... I'll just raise my hand up here slightly to note that I was one of the judges (I won't say which category heh) but the two entries I rated the highest were the two that came in first and second. Many thanks for everyone that voted, and thanks to Croik for picking me to judge :maya:
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

360 gamertag: Mayhem64

What is my liiiife?!?

I'm more concerned that the most formulaic fanfic won. It's pretty much 1-1, done up to look different. *shrugs* I'm glad that Croik chose Chancellor Moore to be her favourite, because that was the one I scored highest. It was, shock horror, the most original.

Prufursurnkfa fushcatchurrr

Come on folks, no complaining. Croik's choice is her opinion only, and the voting is the opinion of everyone. Instead of being angry and calling all the gods to be able to say it's totally unfair, try checking what was wrong and improve for next time.

Congratulations everyone.

Well, hello, Smith. ( ´─`)ノ

LOLOLOL OMFG CROIK--

You silly betch, you. I'm glad you liked my entry enough to make a fancy little button for it! *A* LOL

This contest was interesting, to say the least. It's hard to say which one is the "best", to be honest (at least in the fan-art category)... but I guess I can't really complain. I ended up choosing a very obscure entry, actually, so I chose from either the "looks good" and "sounds awesome" categories (obviously the latter, because a few of the lower percentage were pretty damn awesome & hilarious).

ANYWAY. I'm just glad that people would even vote for my character at all, ahahaha. Great job, guys.

carving wooden attorneys

^Congrats, Hanshi! :D your character's really funny, you know. I keep imagining him dropping asleep in the middle of a concert XDDD

The hope that shines through despair.

Gerkuman wrote:
I'm more concerned that the most formulaic fanfic won. It's pretty much 1-1, done up to look different. *shrugs* I'm glad that Croik chose Chancellor Moore to be her favourite, because that was the one I scored highest. It was, shock horror, the most original.

EDIT: Okay, that was uncolled for, and I apologize. I don't want to make any more drama.

I'm sorry you feel that way about my entry. It took me over a year to write, so I can't help but feel disheartened. This is the way the people voted, and you can't change that. It's just a contest, after all.

Be assured, I have nothing but absolute respect for each one of my fellow finalists.

Tellin' the lies!

F...fourth place?!

I'm so proud of my baby brainchild. :acro: I dunno why, but I honestly expected to score very low [even if I love my brainchildren to death--a mother's love is never the same as the public's lol *SHOT*]

Congrats to everyone who won!! :keiko: And thank you to everyone who voted for him! Even though I have no clue who you were--it meant a lot ^-^

Let's all do our best for next year too, yes?? ^-^

The world calls it love

Big congrats to all of the winners. It's always interesting to see what kinds of things the community comes up with!

As for some of the drama in here concerning the results: as a judge, I consider one of the most important criteria to be how well a character fits into the overall Ace Attorney world. This is particularly important in the sprites category as they are meant to resemble in-game style moreso than fanart or writing. A big question to ask when looking over sprites is "if this sprite was placed into the game, would it look consistent and natural?"

I can certainly appreciate the difficulty of making sprites from scratch, and I believe that if you could see the judge's initial scores that ranks for originality and technique would reflect as such, but the double-edged blade there is that the sprite is done totally in the style of the creator, not in the style of the official in-game sprites. I consider this kind of tradeoff to be unique to the sprites division. Also bear in mind that not everybody understands the effects of advanced pixel techniques and people are voting based on the character, not necessarily the amount of effort put into the work (as that may not be completely obvious to someone glancing through the entries).

In the end, though, this contest is meant for fun and to show off the community's creation. If the result of that is this sort of competitive after-the-fact negativity, it may not be worth it to continue holding the contest. I would hate to move on with this knowing that people are coming out of it with sour feelings.

Literally and figuratively

Congrats to the winners, and thanks to everyone who voted Chef LaFlamme!

As for the foks sore about the rankings, hey, remember that voters only had a tickybox. They couldn't make allowances for, "This was really cool, but ...". There were a lot of entries that I thought were interesting or technically impressive, but didn't quite match the PW world the way the contest was looking for.

These things can help you grow. Just be proud of the fact that you gave it your best, and work on making your craft even better next time.
Thanks to everyone who voted for Cherry! Check out the To Each A Tempo CR thread, there'll be punch and pie!

What a guy.

Well done to the Winners and Runners-up and its only a bit of fun peeps I enjoyed looking at every single entry.

Hopefully I might enter next year, it will be something to work on i'll tell ye.

e × e = e²

I've already started working on mine. |D

PM me, I bite ;)

Guys, please don't feel bitter about getting into the finals but not getting first place. Think about the people who didn't even get that far!!!!! THEY should be the ones complaining, but most of us are mature enough to realize that it's not something to get worked up about.

Congrats to all the winners; all the entries were fantastic!!!!! I didn't vote, though; I couldn't decide which one to choose. I loved them all! I'm totally gonna step up my game for next year!! I got some fierce (lol Christian!!!!) competition!!
Been here since 2/4/08

Team Stepladder

Congrats to everyone who won.

I'll just have to try harder next time to the finalists next year!
Oh, Nick. When will you ever learn?

Hanshi wrote:
LOLOLOL OMFG CROIK--

You silly betch, you. I'm glad you liked my entry enough to make a fancy little button for it! *A* LOL

This contest was interesting, to say the least. It's hard to say which one is the "best", to be honest (at least in the fan-art category)... but I guess I can't really complain. I ended up choosing a very obscure entry, actually, so I chose from either the "looks good" and "sounds awesome" categories (obviously the latter, because a few of the lower percentage were pretty damn awesome & hilarious).

ANYWAY. I'm just glad that people would even vote for my character at all, ahahaha. Great job, guys.

My cousin voted for your entry! Congrats even that you didn't get to be the main winner.
My cousin is the third person with the most posts in CR! Still behind Wrestlemania.....
UNECESSARY EDIT: What? I don't want to be a Prosecutor! :sob:
But I can't get back my Medium-in-Training title.... T_T
http://forums.court-records.net/viewtopic.php?p=353155#p353155 Copy into your browser
ImageImage DAMN! Image
Nego's... Apollo? Cool PW stuff! TNT!!

Doesn't know how to ride a bike D:

I'm really happy for those who won~ Congratulations! It was really fun to see all the entries. I had a lot of fun, and I'm sure that the others did too. I-I'm a bit envious of the 1st placers thought. I-I... really wanted the cards ; o ; The prize was pretty cool. And, well, for the others... don't be bitter about not getting 3rd place or above. I mean-- I was pretty happy to get 7th place, actually (as stupid as a reason this may sound, I was contented with getting 7th. 7's my favorite number ; u ; ) But that's not the only reason. After seeing the other entries that didn't make it, it's such an honor and a surprise to be included in the finalists. I saw numerous other entries that I thought deserved my spot. The mere fact that you got into the the final voting, well, that's amazing in itself. So try not to put yourself down so much :3

Crazyface extraordinare

Sheesh, you people sure take your contests seriously.
Congrats to the winners, nice job to all.
I only voted in one of the categories because I didn't have the patience to read everything in the other two, but anyway they all looked great.

What can I say I was just happy in to be in the finalists ~! I mean so many entries and mine got chosen to be a finalist, it was truely an honor!~

Congrats to the winners~! I had a lot of fun creating the character Lance, and I hope my next character entry gets as far as he did.
Page 1 of 2 [ 51 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » General » Trial Minutes