Board index » Present Evidence » Present Testimony

Page 1 of 1[ 23 posts ]

Siren's fanfictions (Update August 16)Topic%20Title

Okay, I haven't written anything for a couple of years right now and surely, I haven't written anything in English at all. But there should be a first time for everything, right? ^^ So I wrote this yesterday, and I'm planning to make a multiple - chapter fanfic out of it.

Please excuse me for English grammar errors or anything that doesn't quite fit. Just tell me, I'm willing to learn! This is a great practice for my studies next year, which will be entirely in English. I hope I don't make too much errors, though ^^" Also, if you have any tips: please fill me in! As said, I'm willing to learn and improve myself from this.

Title: Turnabout Reunion
Author: Siren
Rating: PG - 13
Genre: Romance, I guess.
Pairing: Phoenix/Iris, Phoenix/Maya
Summary: A while ago, Phoenix lost his attorney's badge. But where did his assistant suddenly go? Why wasn't she present when the whole drama happened? Phoenix retrieves his memories that concern Maya Fey, the time they spent together and their sudden split - up. And maybe, his new apprentice Apollo Justice is able to bring the two together again?

Spoiler:
Phoenix was sitting in his office, thinking about nothing but one particular person. Or actually, one could better say one particular girl. Or maybe it was even better to say that she was one particular woman. After all, she was a woman now. That was still a bit confusing for him, because when he had first started thinking about her, she had been but a girl, though at that time, he didn't even really know who she was. He couldn't have imagined, either. And still, so many years later, she was still haunting his dreams. His rather pleasant dreams, though...

It had been a couple of months after that case now. Since then, famous defense attorney Phoenix Wright hadn't been able to take even a single case. And that while his star had just started to rise. Just a few months prior to that case, someone had actually impostered him. Just the thought of that Xin Eohp scared him again. That case only just went well. Maybe being a lawyer wasn't always all that fun. He had, so far, been sued for killing his own mentor, attacked by some weird maffia guys, almost electrocuted by an evil prosecutor that could have been his grandfather - why had he let that happen anyway? - smacked to amnesia with a fire extuinguisher, threatened by an assassin with a face like a baseball, threatened by the maffia AGAIN, and, on top of that, he fell of a bridge just a few months ago, trying to save his assistant Maya Fey.

Thinking of Maya made him think if Iris again. Come to think of it, his whirlwind of bad luck and failures had started with her. Her, and a little bottle that had almost made him vanish from this world for good. A bottle he had treasured above all, but that turned out to be his future murderer, hadn't he been saved by pure luck. Then, how could he still love her as he did at this moment? How could he long for the hands that could have killed him already so many years ago? It was strange, yet still true.

"Nick? I brought the groceries you wanted. And some info on a new client, too. And that toilet cleaning stuff you asked me for a few days ago. Did you run out already? I brought you that stuff just a week ago! Anyway, care to lend me a hand here? My arms are starting to fall off!"
Phoenix looked away from the window he had been staring out of and seemed somewhat dazed.
"Nick! Beautiful girl dying over here! You'd better be quick or that toilet won't be cleaned for over a week!" Quickly, he stood up and walked towards the door to take over one of the heavy bags the girl to whom that voice belonged was cayying.
"So, that sure feels a lot better." The girl grinned.
"It's smoking hot out there." She walked in.
"My God, Nick, it's smoking hot in here too! Didn't you open at least one window? Gee, Nick, you wouldn't live for a day without me."
All this time, Phoenix didn't utter even a single word. He stared at Maya Fey, his assistant for three whole years now, raised his shoulders and opened one of the windows.
"You're not really talkative today, are you, Nick?"
"I usually let you do the talking, seen as that's what you're good at," he grinned back.
"Very funny!" She threw a pillow at him.
"Hey, it's the truth! And mind the hair, will you! It's sensitive!"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maya looked at him. Her heart nearly skipped a beat. She surpressed the feeling. For over three years, he had been her partner in law, colleague, and also her most dedicated friend. Then why was she feeling like this all the time? As if she hadn't seen this man for almost everyday, as if he wasn't her partner in crime, too, but as if he was the single thing in this world that she longed to have most?

"Thanks a bunch, Maya. Didn't think it was that much, though. You should have called me, and have made me drag this around town."
"Oh, well, I'm still bad at those telephone things..." That was true. She hated these. All these buttons...
"But I've explained you over eight times already!"
"You still don't know how to channel Mia either, do you? And I've done it over eight times already!"
"That's different!"

Speaking of Mia... Would her sister know how to handle this? Certainly, she would. She almost had a solution prepared for anything. If only her sister had still been alive... The only way to talk to her was through her cousin, little Pearly. And she wasn't here right now. Oh, Mia... Maya would have given it all just to speak to her once more...

She looked at the groceries she had just bought. Couldn't she deduce anything about Phoenix' behavior herself? She had been his assistant for three years now, maybe she could find this out without Mia's help. Still, somewhere inside, she had the hopeful feeling that Phoenix liked her too. He had saved her so many times, that should create a bond, or shouldn't it? Plus, the way he had looked at her that day she wore a waitress' outfit for a change... Could it be coïncedence? She stared at the groceries again. They contained candles and chocolate. Maybe Nick was up to something?

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Phoenix took out the candles and the chocolate. He hoped Maya hadn't noticed anything. She's laugh at him big time. She probably couldn't imagine a romantic him. Still, he hoped Iris would like these. He had planned to give them to her on her release date later this week. He smiled. She would like it. He knew.

"Did you take that new client?" Maya looked him intensely in the eyes. Phoenix looked at her, slightly dazzled, and then looked away.
"Nah. Didn't really trust the guy. I do need someone I can trust in."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why did he look away? Did his heart just skip a beat, too?
"Oh. Okay. But I guess we should go with this one here, then." She presented him with the map she had been holding.
"We need money, Nick. We can't live on burgers forever."
"But you love burgers!"
"Well, yeah, but someday I'll get fat!" She joked.

------------------------------------------------------------
Phoenix chuckled. Maya, fat?
"Are you crazy? You'll never get fat. And you're fine just the way you are! You know what? Let's go grab a burger right now! I'll read that file later."

-------------------------------------------------------------
Woa. Did he just compliment her on her appearance? Her heart filled with joy. She had to tell him. But she still needed to talk to Mia. Maybe she knew what to do. She decided before she'd even thought about it properly: she was going to Kurain tomorrow!
"Sure thing! Bet ya I can eat much more burgers than you!"

Spoiler: Chapter 2
Phoenix looked up. Before him was a giant burger, staring at him with angry eyes.
"Why did you eat me?"
Phoenix' eyes became bigger. A talking burger?!
"I will take my revenge on you... You will have stomachaches for the rest of your life! But maybe... It's better to eat you, so you know just how we feel..."
"NO! Please, don't eat me! I didn't mean to-"

"Nick?"
"Don't eat me!"
"Why would I eat you? Your spikes would kill me, you know."
"Huh? Spikes? What the-"
"I want breakfast! I'm leaving today, remember!"
Phoenix opened his eyes. Maya lingered in the doorway.
"Oh.. I guess..It was just a dream. A very, very bad dream.."
"Come on you silly! Make me some breakfast!"
"Right... Breakfast... Wait a second! Why don't you do that yourself?!"
"Well... I've tried, but that mixer of yours... Let's just say it didn't go that well, okay?"
"What happened?"
"Well, I wanted to make pancakes... But the mixer didn't really do what I wanted to, so the pancake mix kind off ended up against the walls."
"YOU DID WHAT TO MY WALLS?!"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I really am sorry, Nick. I didn't mean to, but I'm just so clumsy."
"It's okay. You'll be leaving today, so you can't make my office explode for a while."
She grinned. "Maybe I could let your toilet explode one day. That would be great."
"Just so you know, the mess will be all yours. Including the stuff that comes out of an exploding toilet."
"Leave it. Bad idea."
"Well, it's time to go now. I'll drop you off at the station before I clean this mess. How long were you staying in Kurain, again?"
"Two days."
"Okay, that should be enough to scrape the pancake mix of the ceiling. I can eat from that for days!"
"Ew."
"Let's just pretend I didn't say that and go, okay? I'm gonna miss you, though."
She stared at him, her eyes sparkling.
"Really?"
"Yeah, of course!"

The sound of a moving train always fascinated her. To think at how such a thing worked, fascinated her, too. Maya stared out of the window and thought about what Phoenix had said about missing her. She hoped he would. That would only be convenient for her. But the problem was, of course, that she didn't dare to tell him about her feelings just jet. She needed Mia's advice for that. Pearly had been so happy after receiving her phone call. She smiled. Sweet, little Pearly. She had been through so much, just as herself. But maybe, just maybe, sunnier days were about to start for the two of them. She hoped so. They deserved it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

It was quiet. Phoenix was scraping the mess of the walls and sighed. It was silent without Maya there. But now, he had the oppurtunity to think things out about Iris, before Maya returned. Maybe he could tell her. But he knew that she would laugh. Though, Maya had become more mature over the years. He knew she's be happy for hem, and after all, she was also a girl, even though he had never seen her that way. Of course, he had known she was a girl, which was an obvious truth, but she was different from Iris. Although... That one time, at Très Bien, the French restaurant where she was lured into working as a waitress a few months ago, had been different. She had worn a waitress' costume and she looked just stunning. But still, she was different from Iris. Maybe it was just the difference between a deep friendship on one hand, and love on the other. He hummed a song. He really looked forward to see Iris in a few days. Maya would be back by then, so he had to tell her. It would be okay. She'd be happy for him. He knew.

----------------------------------------------------------------

"Pearly!"
"Mystic Maya!"
The little girl swung her arms around Maya and held her tight, her eyes filled with tears.
"I missed you so much, Mystic Maya! Isn't Mr. Nick with you?"
"No, I had some things to do here... Alone. It's great to be back, though. I missed you too, Pearly."
"Please, never go away for that long again! It's so boring without you, nothing really happens here."
"I know, Pearly. You want to play with the ball?"
"Oh yes please! Please, Mystic Maya! I'd love to!"
"Let's get going then."
"You're the best, Mystic Maya!"

Maya threw the ball at her little cousin, who catched it and then threw it back.
"Whoa! You've gotten stronger! Watch out, though, you'll break something."
"Tee hee. I think I've done enough breaking things for three years now... I still feel bad about the urn..."
"Don't worry. Everything is fine, remember?"
"Yes, thanks to Mr. Nick. He is so great!"
"Speaking of him... I need you to channel my sister tonight, Pearly. Do you think you could do that for me?"
"Yes of course, anything for you, Mystic Maya... But why?"
"Well... I need to talk to her. Sister things, you know?"
"Sure! I'll help you!"

Spoiler: Chapter 3
Maya sat down on her bed and sighed. It wouldn't take very long before Pearl would succeed in channeling Mia, and she'd have to tell her big sister everything, which wasn't going to be easy. It wasn't just the fact that she didn't know wether or not Phoenix liked her too, but she was also wondering about what would happen to her future, if it all turned out the way she wanted it to turn out. Kurain was her hometown, but she hadn't been there in ages, because she had to help Phoenix out with his cases. However, sooner or later, she would become the next master... And she would have to be here. And Phoenix had his own law firm. He had to lead Wright & co, and that would be practically impossible to do when living in Kurain. So somehow, someone would have to make a choice. Not even considering the fact that her love wouldn't be answered. She sighed again. It would all be difficult.

"Maya?"
Maya turned around to see the face that matched the voice that had called her, but she actually already knew before she saw her face. "Sis!" She jumped off the bed and ran to the woman that was standing in the doorway. She had a weird hairdo and her clothes were too small, but one could still see she was pretty. Maya flung her arms around her.
"I missed you so much..." A tear fell from Maya's eyes. "It's been so long..."
"I know, Maya, I missed you too." The woman smiled. "But I'm afraid we have little time... So please tell me what it is that you wanted to discuss with me."
Maya wiped away her tears. It was hard, but Mia was right. Normally, sisters could talk about their problems for hours, but Maya's time with Mia was restricted to the time Pearl was able to channel her.

"So... What did you call me for? I see there's no Phoenix, you're not kidnapped, and there's no old guy to practically show my boobs to, so I wonder... What is it?"
Maya giggled. "I'm still sorry about that... I just didn't know what else to do. But, you know... It does have something to do with that guy."
"Huh?!"
"It's just... How did you do it, Mia?"
"Do what?"
"Attract every guy that walked by you."
"Do you mean you called me for that?"
"Well... I guess... But not really. It's just... I wonder how you do it. Even the old guy, who loved waitresses, saw me in my uniform and said he didn't like me. And that I lacked every form of elegance. It hurts, sis, it really does. Even though... Nobody really notices it."
"Nobody would be Phoenix, right? Tell me, Maya, is he the real reason behind all this?"
Maya looked shocked. How would she know?
"I know, you're probably thinking: 'How would she know?' Well, first of all, I'm your sister, and second of all, I didn't become a lawyer for nothing, Maya."
"Well, I guess you're right... I've noticed that my feelings towards him have changed. I don't know how and I don't know why, but suddenly... I can't stand not being around him. Even now, when you're here. But..."
"You don't know wether or not he likes you too?"
"Yes."
"Well, I'm afraid there's going to be only one way to find that out."
"I know... But I don't know how, Mia. What if he doesn't like me after all? I mean... He can have girls that are a lot prettier than I am!"
"First of all, Maya, no one is prettier than you are. No one."
"But Iris is! And... She kind of liked him, didn't she? She's just beautiful..."
"Maybe. But you're my sister, and to me, there's no one who's even close to being as gorgeous as you are. And you know? If Phoenix doesn't see that either, then he's not worth being with. You've saved him so many times, and you have been in danger so many times because of him. If he doesn't like you, Maya... Then do what your heart tells you to do."
"What my heart tells me?"
"Yes. You can either run away and never see him again, or decide to remain friends. But don't do anything that doesn't feel right."
"Run... Away?"
"It is your choice. But you will have to tell him. Anyway, I can't even imagine that he wouldn't want to be with you. Still... You have to be prepared for everything. Always."
"Okay..."
"Just remember: whatever happens, it is never your fault. If he doesn't like you, he's crazy."
"But still... Everyone seemed to like you, always. How did you do that?"
"Well... They only liked me skin deep. And that is something you don't want to be jealous of, ever. The only one who loved me, truely loved me... was Diego. And look at how he ended up. If you ever have the time to, Maya, you should visit him. Somehow... I miss him, up here."
Suddenly, just a single tear that would have gone unnoticed, hadn't Maya known her sister better, fell from Mia's cheek into her neck.

Maya thought about the conversation she had had with her sister. She had never known that her sister was still grieving over Diego. She had seemed to have coped with it so fast. Maybe her sister was right, she had to pay him, or his new alter ego, a visit when the time had come for it. And mister Edgeworth, too. They hadn't seen him in ages and somehow, she felt like that would affect Edgeworth more than he would ever admit. After all, he never really had friends ever since his father was killed and he had had to switch schools. Maybe her sister had been right. Being looked at and being called gorgeous wasn't all that good, if it wasn't one of your loved ones who said it.

Spoiler: Chapter 4
Phoenix looked at the clock. It should be about time to pick Maya up from the station. He was glad she'd be back, because it had been awfully quiet the last days. Without her, it always seemed quiet. He had met with some interested clients, and decided to go with one, because he had to pay the rent somehow. Studying the case files, he had also thought of Iris, and he had decided to tell Maya today of tomorrow. He had to, maybe she'd be useful in helping him to having a good conversation with Iris. Usually, she was so shy that he didn't really know what to say to her. Maybe Maya knew something to deal with this. She was a girl, after all. Checking the clock again, he stood up and took his car keys. He had finally received his license after some painful lessons. Edgeworth had been right: having a license was extremely helpful. Still, he didn't drive much, preferring puclib transport, walking and biking. Besides, he thought Edgeworth's car way over the top. He bought a relatively small one.

"Shit!" He pressed the brakes as hard as he could.
"Phew. That was just in time."
The driver in the car behind him made an obscene hand gesture.
"I know, I know! There's no reason for giving me the finger, I know I probably drive as good as Pearls would, but they gave me my license so it's their fault I'm actually allowed to drive! Plus, it's not very nice."
Luckily, he was already almost there. He hoped Maya would be in time, and willing to step into the car if she found out he was going to drive at all.

--------------------------------------------------------------

"I have to tell him..."
She was repeating this over and over again in her head.
She had already decided. Would he not like her, then she would leave. She couldn't possibly stay to see the one she loved take off with someone else. She suspected him of liking Iris. She knew Iris liked Phoenix, she had admitted this herself during that trial. Of course Mia would say otherwise, but Mia remained her sister and therefor, her opinion couldn't really be trusted, though she hoped her sister to be right. And Iris... Seemed, as Franziska would call it, 'perfect in every way.' Though... She did think it unfair, would Phoenix fall for her. Iris had never spoken up when her twin sister decided to poison Phoenix. She understood as much from the last trial. Though trying to prevent it at first, she had not stopped her sister when she had actually decided to do it. She herself had saved Phoenix by jumping in front of him when Manfred von Karma had tried to electrocute him. She had been held hostage by an assassin and risked her life again when she had asked Phoenix to have his client declared guilty, which would have meant her death, hadn't Mia, Pearly and even Franziska come to the rescue at the exact right time. She certainly didn't know how to react if Phoenix would turn her down.

"Nick! Good to see you!"
"Good to see you too. I missed you, it was really quiet around me! So, how was your trip? How is Pearls doing?"
"Aww, how cute of you. It was great! Pearls missed me a lot, you know. We should invite her some day."
"Yes, your right. Tell me all about your trip on the way home. The car is parked in front of the station, we should hurry."
"Wait. Don't tell me you're driving again."
"Yes I am, and I'm really improving-"
"How many middle fingers did you see this time?"
"Just four..."
"My God, you really are improving!"
"I know! Now get in already!"
She grinned.
"Well, with only four fingers, I guess it's okay."

Phoenix looked at Maya. She had been acting strange the whole evening.
"Is dinner okay? You seem so... I don't know, you're not eating a lot."
"I'm not that hungry."
"How come? You're always hungry!"
"I... I don't know. I'm just not hungry."
"Okay. Then you don't have to eat."
He smiled. She smiled back. He had been trying to tell her about Iris the whole time. He sighed. The moment had come now. If he didn't do it now, he would probably never do it, and that would be wrong. Maya was his closest friend, after all. She was far more than his assistant.
"Maya... I have to tell you something."
He looked at her, with his most serious face, so that she wouldn't make a joke that would prevent him from saying it.
-----------------------------------------------------
She looked up. Tell he something? His face was serious. Would he- No, he couldn't possibly.
"What is it? You look all serious all of a sudden."
She smiled.
He drew another big breath.
"I... I've been wanting to tell you this for a long time. But swear you don't laugh at me, okay? If you don't help me, I don't think I can control this feeling any longer."
Her heart nearly skipped a beat. It really did sound like he was going to confess his love for her! She smiled again, this time in relief.
"You know you can tell me anything. I know I laugh at you a lot, but I thought you knew now that a part of me can also be serious. I'm nineteen now, Nick."
----------------------------------------------------
Okay. That was good. She wasn't going to laugh.
"Okay. I'll tell you, then... I love someone. But... I don't know how to tell her."
Maybe... Just maybe this was the moment to tell him her secret too, as she was almost sure now that he would name her as his secret love.
"I have a secret too. I also love someone."
Suddenly, he frowned. Maya, in love with someone? Who could it be? He thought of someone of Kurain, of Larry, even of Edgeworth, but it was probably someone he didn't know.
"Really?"
He smiled. It would be great if that person would love her too. Though, if it was Larry, he would do anything in his power to prevent a relationship between these two.
"Who is the lucky bastard, then?"
--------------------------------------------------
She collected all of her courage.
"Nick... I suppose you already know this... But the person I fell in love with... It is you."
For a moment, she thought her nerves would certainly make her faint.
His heart stood still for a second. His mouth became dry. He had the urge to yell at her. Him?! She fell in love with him?! Right now?! Right at this very moment, in which he had wanted to ask her help for talking to Iris?! He didn't know what to say, so for a moment, he didn't say anything at all. His heartbeat was raging. What did he have to do? Him and Maya?! He had never expected this, knowing that he didn't feel the same thing for her, and he certainly didn't know what to do right now.
-------------------------------------------------
"Why aren't you saying anything? I thought you were going to say you loved someone too?"
All of a sudden, she was getting nervous again. His silence took too long to be a good sign.
"I- I don't know what to say. I really, really don't. I mean, you can't love me, I'm not nearly as handsome as, let's say, Miles Edgeworth, I say funny things even in court, and I sweart terribly when I get nervous, you can't be serious about this, so you have to be joking, right?"
"I was not. Why do you think so? And what was your secret, Phoenix, you were going to tell me something, weren't you?"
She called him Phoenix. She was not joking. He had to tell her the truth. He felt like he was going to throw up right at that very moment.
"I... Maya... I'm so sorry... I was going to tell you that I've fallen in love with Iris... I wanted... to ask your help... I'm so sorry..."
-------------------------------------------------------
Tears were burning in her throat. For a minute, just a mere minute, she had really believed that he liked her. But against Iris, she should have known that she didn't have a chance, not even the slightest, to be the winning party. Iris was so beautiful, and she was nothing. Iris was nice, and she was always yelling at Phoenix. In one minute, she felt so lost and lonely. She ran over all the things that Mia had told her. And she knew. She had to leave.
"Okay then. I'll be taking my leave now."
------------------------------------------------------
"L- leaving? What are you talking about?!"
Suddenly, he felt his heartbeat go so fast that he thought he was going to die from it. She couldn't leave. Maya couldn't leave!
"You can't leave!"
"But I can!"
"Why?! I can't be without you so sudden!"
"But you can! You just told me that you'd rather be with Iris!"
"Yes, but only in terms of that particular love! I love you to, but just not in that-"
"Just not that way?! That's exactly the point here, Phoenix Wright, and I should have known! I should have known that I do not have the slightest chance of even competing with Iris!"
"Why is that?!"
"Because she's ten times the girl I am! She's so beautiful and I'm nothing, nothing at all, Phoenix!"
Tears were flowing all over her face. She couldn't speak properly anymore. Suddenly, she felt a strong hate for Phoenix coming up. He tried to comfort her.
"No... That's not right. Come here, you. I just... You're so young, and Iris is more... More mature... But I do love you, as a friend!"
She felt the hate growing. She felt like slapping him. She looked him straight into the face, her eyes almost spitting fire.
"More mature?! MORE MATURE?! I certainly wasn't too immature when I jumped into that electrocutor for you, was I?! And I sure didn't sound immature when I was captured by an assassin and told you to rather have me killed instead of letting Matt Engarde go! But now, I'm too immature for you?!
"No, no, that's not what I meant-"
"BUT YOU DID! You said it! And now I finally know how severely I misjudged you, Phoenix Wright! That you'd rather go for a girl who's so mature that she finds it okay to go along with a fake kidnapping and a poisoning, and that you are so mature that you actually fall for a girl who didn't even protest when her sister was going to poison you! No, that's really mature, DON'T YOU THINK?!"
Her heart was beating. Her eyes were certainly feeling like they were spitting fire. She hated him with every inch of her skin.
------------------------------------------------
"Now don't talk to her about that! She's in prison now because she wanted to save you! Without her, you'd probably not be here right now!"
"You shut up! I wouldn't be here without Diego! The only thing she really did was stab a dead body, and she couldn't even do that right!"
"You're being ungrateful! To me, too! I've saved you a dozen times already!"
He raised his voice, but he felt like crying. What had he done wrong? He had protected her with all of his life, she was his dearest friend! What was he doing?! He was screaming, while all he wanted was that Maya would stay here... She couldn't leave... She wouldn't leave...
"O of course you did! Well, I wouldn't have been in danger if you hadn't been here in the first place!"
He knew he had to lower his voice... He knew he was chasing her away... But this was so unfair...
"Stop it! Please, stop it!"
"I won't! I'm leaving, you just go to Iris already! That's all you've ever wanted!"
Don't say it... Don't say it...
"YES WELL SHE CERTAINLY ISN'T SCREAMING TO ME RIGHT NOW! IF ONLY YOU WOULD BE AS NICE TO ME AS SHE IS! BUT I NEVER DO ANYTHING RIGHT!"
O no. He had said it.
Finally, she was silent. Her heartbeat came back to normal. Her tears were reduced to one single tear, that carried more pain than the whole river of tears from before had done.
"Very well then. Then... I guess... This is goodbye. Farewell, Phoenix."
She didn't even care to pack her belongings. He could have them.
"N- no... Don't..."
But he stood there, completely still. He didn't do anything as she walked out of the door. He almost closed the door behind her.
"Wait... Where are you going, actually?"
She answered in a soft voice, that was overcrowded by pain.
"I don't know... Somewhere."
"I wan't to be certain that you're safe."
"O no, Phoenix. You don't care at all. I'm not nice to you, after all."
A tear came down from his eyes. She pretended as if she didn't see it, or she really didn't see it. He did not know.
"I'm going to Edgeworth."
"Edgeworth?"
"Yes. He'll help me."
And with that, she ran of into the darkness.
He closed the door and sat on the couch, crying and holding the Magatama she'd given to him.

Spoiler: Chapter 5
Maya looked around her. So this had to be the prosecutor's building. She had never thought that she'd set foot in here alone, without Phoenix. But she couldn't really turn back now. Would she be able to go inside? Would Edgeworth even still be here at this time of day? It wasn't really late, but Phoenix was already at home, so maybe he had left too. Well, she wasn't going to find out by just standing here. Edgeworth was the only one who could help her figure out what to do right now, since Pearly wasn't here and she wouldn't be in time to be in Kurain before the night fell. She had to sleep somewhere this night. She pushed the door. Luckily, it opened, even though she thought it strange that one could just step in here without permission or something like that. It was very big inside, a lot bigger than Phoenix' office. As she walked on, she noticed that there was a security guard office, so somehow, she would have to convince the guard of the fact that she was a friend of Edgeworth, which looked pretty difficult to her. She tried not to think of the argument she just had. She needed a place to sleep first.

"Maya?!"
The voice came from the security guard office. She looked over in that direction and saw a familiar face.
"Maggey? What are you doing here?"
"I could ask you the exact same thing! Why isn't mister Wright with you? Are you investigating another case?"
"No... No, we're not. Actually, Maggey, I have a request for you. Is Miles Edgeworth still here?"
"You sure sound all serious... Yes, he is still in his office. Do you want me to ask him to let you in?"
"Yes, you'd make me very happy by doing that. I'll tell you the whole story later!"
"Understood! I'll call him right away!"

"Miss Fey... I must say I do not completely understand why you are here, but since you are a lady, I'm obliged to let you in."
She stepped into the office that she had seen a few times before. She remembered the case in which she and Phoenix had defended Edgeworth when he had been accused of murdering a defense attorney. She forced herself not to think about it.
"Isn't Wright with you?"
She didn't really know how to put it.
"To tell you the truth, mister Edgeworth, I came here alone. And... I have a request for you. A... rather unusual request."
She was trying her best to sound mature. She had to grow up. Phoenix had said it himself. From now on, she would never sound immature again. And the right person to teach her how to sound mature, should be Edgeworth, since he had the biggest vocabulary she knew.
"A request? I don't hope you and Wright had an argument?"
"We did. A little over an hour ago. And since I left his house, I need a place to stay the night. I was hoping you could help me with this."
He looked rather shocked.
"Why did you come to me for this? There's an hotel facing Wright's office!"
"I didn't take any money. I can't pay for an hotel."
"He didn't give you any money?! Wait, what happened anyway? You can't just storm into my office and expect me to fully understand everything, miss Fey!"
"I know... I can explain... I can explain all of it."

She told him. She told everything that had happened, including the own stupid things she had done. It was difficult, admitting to her own sillyness and embaressment, but over the years, she had learned that being honest was the best way to go with. After her story, Edgeworth looked rather pale. She could guess why. He probably wasn't the person to give advice about romance, especially not to teenage girls. She thought about a way to say the words she wanted to say. It was difficult to sound mature.
"Mister Edgeworth. I did not come here to get advice about my relationship with Phoenix. I just need a place to sleep. You could borrow me some money... I promise to return it to you once I get to Kurain. I don't know who else to go to. I don't know where detective Gumshoe lives... This is the only place I could go to."
"It's allright, miss Fey. You can stay here. I don't want you wandering off at this time of day."
She looked out of the window. It was late now. Her story had taken longer than she had thought.
"I really am sorry about this. What do you advice me to do now, mister Edgeworth?"
He made his usual thinking face. She had seen it so much in court. But she had to be strong now. She was never to be in court again. At least, not at the defense's bench.
"I advise you to go back to your hometown. I can bring you there tomorrow, my car is here."
She didn't know what to say. Edgeworth, helping her? Not only offering her a place to sleep, but also offering to bring her all the way to Kurain?
"I appreciate it very much, but... Why do that for me?"
"Because I owe you, miss Fey."
She looked puzzled. What did he owe her for?
"For jumping into that electric taser. Wright told me. I never forgot."
"Thank you, mister-"
"Just call me Miles. I have nothing else to offer but the couch. I'll make it ready for you."

"Daddy?"
Phoenix opened his eyes. Before him was Trucy, his adopted daughter.
"What were you thinking about? You've been in this couch the whole afternoon! You've got to be less lazy if you want to be an Ace Attorney again, daddy!"
He looked up into the face of his daughter, and smiled.
"You're right. I was just... Thinking about an old friend."
"O? Who is this 'friend', daddy? Someone I know?"
"No! You certainly haven't met her. I haven't seen her in years. Eight years, to be exact."
"Her?"
"Yes. She was my assistant."
"What happened?"
"We... Had an argument. And then she left. It was a few months before the case that cost me my badge... But gave me you in return! Let's go get some noodles!"
"You bet! I'm really hungry! I could eat five bowls of noodles and have a burger as a dessert!"
Suddenly, a shock went through his heart. This remembered him too much of Maya, and how missing her had changed him over the years. Of course he had gone to Iris, a few days after the argument. If only he had gone after Maya, then maybe none of this all would have happened. Maybe she would have prevented him from taking the forged evidence. She and Mia had always saved him, but that day, they hadn't been there. But he hadn't gone after Maya. He had gone to the detention center. To Iris.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Phoenix stepped into the detention center. He had been here so many times, but this time was different. He was going to confess his love for Iris. Maya's department had hurt him, but he had also been looking forward to this day. Maybe he would finally find love. And he couldn't get her back anyway. She'd come back herself. She'd see that she had been acting strange. After all, he couldn't change his feelings.

"Mister Wright? Is that you?"
"Iris!"
He walked towards the door of the guarded room he had seen so many times, and hugged the girl that came out of the door. She was beautiful in every way. She smiled at him.
"I'm finally free again! I have been looking forward to this day, Mister Wright." She blushed.
"You can call me Phoenix. I feel so old when you call me 'mister'."
"Okay... Phoenix."
"So, did you come to pick me up and bring me back to Hazakura Temple?"
"Well... Actually, I wanted to tell you something..."

Spoiler: Chapter 6
"What do you want to tell me, Phoenix? Because if it's important, you can also tell me here."
"No, no... I really can't."
"Are you sure?"
"Yes, I am. I'm sorry, Iris, but I don't want to do it here. Let's go to my office, okay?"
He gave her a nervous smile.
"Well, if you insist."
She returned the smile to him, a little ignorant.
"Let's get out of here! You're on your way to freedom!"
She grinned.
"Yes, I'm quite looking forward to seeing the daylight again."
"Let's get going then!"
----------------------------------------
"Goodmorning, miss Fey."
"What...? Where am I...?
"In my office, miss Fey. Don't you remember?"
"Huh?!" Mr. Edgeworth?! What did we?!"
"You came here for my help, miss Fey. Do not mix up the facts."
"O... Oh, yeah... I remember now... What time is it anyway?"
"It's six o'clock."
"Six?! Are you insane? Six o'clock is sleeping time! Well, at least, it was, at Nick's..."
"But we are not with Mr. Wright, miss Fey. Unless you want me to return you to him... I'm afraid I'll have to do for now."
"You'd... Return me to him?"
"If that's what you wish me to do, then yes, I will. To be honest, I think you should in fact go back."
"You think so?"
"Yes. I... Do not have the intention to meddle in your plans... But..."
He hesitated. Maya looked at him. He seemed a bit embarassed, but she had seen him like this before. She had seen him transform from ruthless prosecutor into a kind, but shy man.
"But what, Mr. Edgeworth?"
"But your friendship was unlike anything else I have ever seen. Wright may have been rude to you yesterday... But he is a good man, miss Fey. I never thought I'd say this, but... He's been the one person in my life that became closest to a friend. And I thought I told you to call me Miles."
Call him Miles? He had suggested that yesterday, but it seemed so unreal. Her and Nick... Had always called him Edgeworth. Pearly had called him Edgeworth. But maybe, with his transformation, the time had also come to change other things. Like his name. This man owed her a lot... But she also owed him.
"Then I would like to inform you that you're stil calling me 'miss Fey' too."
And then, he did something she hadn't seen him do in the three years that she knew him. He smiled.
"Point taken... Maya."
"Then I guess it's okay to call you Miles."
"So... Maya. Do I return you to Wright, or do I bring you to Kurain?"
"You know... Miles.... All these things you said... I thought they were true too. My sister thought they were true."
"So your point is?"
She thought. Yes, what was her point? Did she have to go back? Let go of all of her pride, and return to the man that was the best friend she ever had in her life? But, when doing that... She'd have to face his love for Iris. See him every day, in love with another girl, that was a thousand times the girl she was, despite of all the things she had done for Phoenix, maybe even see him marry her, would it come that far.
"I can't..."
"Then I will respect your decision and bring you to your home. After breakfast, of course. What do you like?"
The pain... The memories... She had to say them all goodbye and forget about it. Everything but seeing him happy with someone else.
"Surprise me."
-------------------------------------
"So, we're here!"
"You have a lovely office, Phoenix."
"O, of course, you haven't been here yet!"
"No, I haven't. But I must say you've decorated it quite well."
"Well, that's Maya's work-"
He fell silent. Maya had decorated this office with him. She had placed the Steel Samurai poster on the wall. The poster he hadn't ever removed, even though his clients thought it inaproppriate for the office of an attorney.
"Yes, where is she, actually? I had thought she'd be here. I'd love to get to know her better - after all, she is my cousin, even though I haven't ever had the chance to speak to her properly."
"She's..."
'Think, Phoenix, think! You can't tell her...'
He had totally forgotten that Maya and Iris were family. They were, in some way, both Feys, even though Iris hadn't inherited any of the Fey power, and didn't grow up in Kurain Village. He thought back. Should he lie? Wasn't that the same as betraying Maya? But... She had left him! Not the other way around!
"She's gone to visit a friend."
"Okay. Then I guess I'll talk to her next time."
"Yeah, she really wanted to come, but she hadn't seen her friend in a while, and they made this appointment a long time ago, so..."
"No, it's fine! I understand. So, what did you want to tell me?"
Shit. He had hoped to have a little bit more time, but the time had probably come to tell her.
"Iris... I..."
No, he had to be more straightforward, and, for once, not be the coward he had been all his life! He had to be more like... Him. Always cool and reserved, but still able to get his feelings across.
"I have wanted to tell you this for a while now, but I didn't really know how. And I still don't really know how, but I have to. My last trial... It did something to me. Something I didn't feel before."
"It did? Well, Phoenix... I must say... It did the same thing to me."
She blushed. He was going the right way with this!
"I've been willing to tell you that I... I love you, Iris. I don't know why... But I've loved you ever since that incident."
He moved towards her. Their faces were so close to each other, that he could smell the perfume that was on her neck. A sweet scent that made him remember everything...
"I think I love you too... Phoenix..."
Suddenly, he felt a flashback of that case. How Iris had been on trial, how he immediately wanted to represent her, but couldn't, because of his injuries, and how he had asked Edgeworth to replace him instead... He hadn't been able to go himself, because he had fallen from the bridge. He had wanted to rescue Maya...
Maya?
Then, after that... He had gone to court himself, to defend her, and he had somehow proven her innocence... Even though he didn't quite remember how, because all this time, he had been worried about Maya...
Wait. He loved Iris, didn't he? Then why didn't he remember the pain that he had gone through when he realized that she would be taking the blame for something she hadn't done? Why did he suddenly feel like he didn't want to be here, like he didn't want to kiss her? Why was his head... hurting?
He thought back, all in this moment, of the time he had defended Maya in court, the day she had been arrested for killing a surgeon... And how he had believed in her, every single time, even in the last trial, in which Iris had testified against her, even though it hadn't really been her. It had been so believable that Maya had killed her mother, not knowing it was her, but he hadn't doubted her a second. He relived the despair of the moments in which he had thought he had lost her forever, in the case against Engarde, in the last case, in which he had really thought that she was dead, and he had failed to protect her... He felt the pain of last evening... He smelled Iris' scent, and suddenly, felt like he was going to faint.
"Maya!"
"What?"
Suddenly, the moment was over. He had been living towards this for so long, and now... He couldn't do it.
"I- I can't do it, Iris... I'm so sorry, I can't..."
"Why is that?"
"I... I fought with Maya yesterday..."
"You had a fight?"
"Yes..."
"About what?"
"She... She told her she loved me, and I rejected her..."
"O..."
"I'm such an idiot!"
He hit the wall with his fist, and didn't feel the pain at all, even though his hand started bleeding.
"Phoenix... If you feel like you love her more than me..."
"I don't know anymore, Iris! I honestly don't... I'm so sorry... Up until now, I thought I wanted to be with you more than anything... But now I'm not sure anymore... I feel like an idiot for doing this to you, but... I can't be with you right now.
"It's okay. I had expected it."
He looked up, his face covered in tears.
"You expected it?"
"Yes. The way you were defending her, even though it seemed so likeable that she had done it... I've heard it from Mr. Edgeworth. He thought the world of you, you know, Phoenix? And I know I should be sad that we didn't happen... I think it is right for you to be with Maya. It hurts, but... We are in the past."
"Please don't tell me you don't want to see me anymore..."
"I won't. I still admire you as a friend, and if you wish me to be yours, I will."
"Thank you, Iris... Thank you so much... You are so much more of a person than I am... I let her go, and now I'm doing this to you..."
"Find her."
"What?"
"Find Maya. Before it's too late."
He panicked. What if it was too late?
"I- she said she was going to Edgeworth! I- I have to go now! Before I'm late!"
"Then go. You have my blessing."
"Thank you, Iris!"

He rushed into the prosecutors' office. He had no idea where Edgeworth lived, but then again, Maya didn't have any idea about that either, so she had to have gone here in the first place. Maybe someone knew something!
"Mr. Wright?"
He looked at the security guard office.
"Maggey!"
"This is weird, Maya was here too, alone, and now you're here, alone-"
"Maya was here?! Thank God, Maggey, where did she go?!"
"She spent the night here, and Mr. Edgeworth got up early this morning to bring her to her home-"
"How early?!"
"I guess they left at seven, why?"
He checked his watch. It was already eleven am.
"Shit, I'm too late, I'm too late!"
He cried like he had never done before.
"What is wrong?"
"I have to see his office, I have to!"
"Wait... Maya... She left you something, sir."
"She did?!"
"Yes... Here it is."
Maggey gave him a letter. It was in Maya's handwriting. He opened it, his fingers trembling.

Dear Nick,

Though I wished things had gone differently last night, I accept that you cannot change your feelings towards me or Iris. I therefor do not blame her.

Mr. Edgeworth has been very friendly to me, and I guessed you'd come here... It's the way you are, isn't it? Always on top of things... I guess I will miss that. But I can't do anything else but leave. I will be in Kurain, and become the new master. I need to grow up, like you said. Don't come after me, Nick. I'm not mad at you, but I can't be with you, knowing that you love someone else. I guess I believed in miracles too much, even though it seemed like we've been living nothing but a miracle together. I have to stop believing in miracles. They do not exist.

I guess you will have to eat burgers for the both of us, now. Promise me you won't ever change, Nick. You were the best person I've ever met. Thanks for the memories. I won't ever forget. Please don't ever forget about me either.

Love,
Maya

PS. I will be sending you Steel Samurai tapes! Don't forget to watch them.

Tears were covering his whole face now.
"Are you okay... Mr. Wright?"
"Yes... I am... She's right... We shouldn't... See eachother... For now. I'm sorry Maggey. I... I'm going now."

He hadn't seen her after that. He had lost his badge, without her standing next to him... And still... The only thing he ever got from her was Steel Samurai tapes... He played them over and over, even though he didn't like the show. It was the only thing that kept the memory alive, over all those years. The only thing that stopped him from talking about Maya to Trucy, Apollo, or all the other people he had met over the years. But he had never forgotten her. Ever. If only he hadn't been too late...

Last edited by Siren on Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:01 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Re: Siren's fanfictionsTopic%20Title

The Heir to the Planet

Location: the place bewtten space and time, mind and matter. Yes, I am in the velvet room

...not bad charaterzation of Maya... you pratically nailed it. I thought Phoenix was a little duller then how I think of him, though. Good job, keep it up
Son to electroboy . engaged to the lovely-girliedinosaur24 that's right: be jealous Oh yeeah, OriginalBubs is my crazy uncle., and I love sending him into oblivion
Time to feed the sandwitch and eat the baby!

Rarikou wrote:
...not bad charaterzation of Maya... you pratically nailed it. I thought Phoenix was a little duller then how I think of him, though. Good job, keep it up

Thank you for your comment! I think you're right, I had a bit more trouble characterizing him than Maya... I'll try to make him more lively. I hope to have the next chapter up tonight.

Edit: I've been very busy so I will add chapter two asap!

Well, I'm enjoying this so far....
Spoiler:
A love triangle! Give me P/M so I can die happy

LOL parody sig trend. Phoenix/Maya Day is Sept 5!
[ Read my fanfics! =) | Phoenix/Maya 'Evidence' List ]

Rising Dragon

That's a very good beginning, making me all curious how it's gonna end.
Spoiler:
And I totally agree with Icer

The story can be found in my fanart thread
Fanart

Thank you for the comments! I won't tell you what it will end like, of course :minuki:

Here's chapter two! It's going a bit slow, but I'm still rethinking the storyline. I'll write more as soon as possible.

Spoiler:
Phoenix looked up. Before him was a giant burger, staring at him with angry eyes.
"Why did you eat me?"
Phoenix' eyes became bigger. A talking burger?!
"I will take my revenge on you... You will have stomachaches for the rest of your life! But maybe... It's better to eat you, so you know just how we feel..."
"NO! Please, don't eat me! I didn't mean to-"

"Nick?"
"Don't eat me!"
"Why would I eat you? Your spikes would kill me, you know."
"Huh? Spikes? What the-"
"I want breakfast! I'm leaving today, remember!"
Phoenix opened his eyes. Maya lingered in the doorway.
"Oh.. I guess..It was just a dream. A very, very bad dream.."
"Come on you silly! Make me some breakfast!"
"Right... Breakfast... Wait a second! Why don't you do that yourself?!"
"Well... I've tried, but that mixer of yours... Let's just say it didn't go that well, okay?"
"What happened?"
"Well, I wanted to make pancakes... But the mixer didn't really do what I wanted to, so the pancake mix kind off ended up against the walls."
"YOU DID WHAT TO MY WALLS?!"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I really am sorry, Nick. I didn't mean to, but I'm just so clumsy."
"It's okay. You'll be leaving today, so you can't make my office explode for a while."
She grinned. "Maybe I could let your toilet explode one day. That would be great."
"Just so you know, the mess will be all yours. Including the stuff that comes out of an exploding toilet."
"Leave it. Bad idea."
"Well, it's time to go now. I'll drop you off at the station before I clean this mess. How long were you staying in Kurain, again?"
"Two days."
"Okay, that should be enough to scrape the pancake mix of the ceiling. I can eat from that for days!"
"Ew."
"Let's just pretend I didn't say that and go, okay? I'm gonna miss you, though."
She stared at him, her eyes sparkling.
"Really?"
"Yeah, of course!"

The sound of a moving train always fascinated her. To think at how such a thing worked, fascinated her, too. Maya stared out of the window and thought about what Phoenix had said about missing her. She hoped he would. That would only be convenient for her. But the problem was, of course, that she didn't dare to tell him about her feelings just jet. She needed Mia's advice for that. Pearly had been so happy after receiving her phone call. She smiled. Sweet, little Pearly. She had been through so much, just as herself. But maybe, just maybe, sunnier days were about to start for the two of them. She hoped so. They deserved it.

It was quiet. Phoenix was scraping the mess of the walls and sighed. It was silent without Maya there. But now, he had the oppurtunity to think things out about Iris, before Maya returned. Maybe he could tell her. But he knew that she would laugh. Though, Maya had become more mature over the years. He knew she's be happy for hem, and after all, she was also a girl, even though he had never seen her that way. Of course, he had known she was a girl, which was an obvious truth, but she was different from Iris. Although... That one time, at Très Bien, the French restaurant where she was lured into working as a waitress a few months ago, had been different. She had worn a waitress' costume and she looked just stunning. But still, she was different from Iris. Maybe it was just the difference between a deep friendship on one hand, and love on the other. He hummed a song. He really looked forward to see Iris in a few days. Maya would be back by then, so he had to tell her. It would be okay. She'd be happy for him. He knew.

"Pearly!"
"Mystic Maya!"
The little girl swung her arms around Maya and held her tight, her eyes filled with tears.
"I missed you so much, Mystic Maya! Isn't Mr. Nick with you?"
"No, I had some things to do here... Alone. It's great to be back, though. I missed you too, Pearly."
"Please, never go away for that long again! It's so boring without you, nothing really happens here."
"I know, Pearly. You want to play with the ball?"
"Oh yes please! Please, Mystic Maya! I'd love to!"
"Let's get going then."
"You're the best, Mystic Maya!"

Maya threw the ball at her little cousin, who catched it and then threw it back.
"Whoa! You've gotten stronger! Watch out, though, you'll break something."
"Tee hee. I think I've done enough breaking things for three years now... I still feel bad about the urn..."
"Don't worry. Everything is fine, remember?"
"Yes, thanks to Mr. Nick. He is so great!"
"Speaking of him... I need you to channel my sister tonight, Pearly. Do you think you could do that for me?"
"Yes of course, anything for you, Mystic Maya... But why?"
"Well... I need to talk to her. Sister things, you know?"
"Sure! I'll help you!"

Rising Dragon

Siren wrote:
She'd be happy for him. He knew.

Ouch! :yuusaku:
Couldn't resist, just keep going :will:
The story can be found in my fanart thread
Fanart

Siren wrote:
Thank you for the comments! I won't tell you what it will end like, of course :minuki:

Still enjoying this. Love the burger dreams/pancake incident.
If this ends in P/I I will CRY

Okay, I just wrote a whole text and it's gone... So I'm going to rewrite it asap...

Siren wrote:
Okay, I just wrote a whole text and it's gone... So I'm going to rewrite it asap...

That's bad. :larry: Yeah you should always save your work elsewhere, even if it's only Notepad or in your email program...

The problem was that I don't have Word yet, it's a new computer... So I typed it here and I ALWAYS copy it and it NEVER goes wrong. Well, this time I didn't copy it... And guess what? It went wrong :P

Anyways, here's it again. It was better the first time, but I guess you're gonna have to do it with this :P

I pretty much based this on what my own sister would say. We kind of resemble the Fey sisters. People always fall for her, not for me, she's six years older and in law school. I cannot channel spirits, if you're going to ask :P And I tried to keep Mia's character in mind. She's not the kind of girl that would giggle and be all girly, I think. So, here it comes?

Spoiler:
Maya sat down on her bed and sighed. It wouldn't take very long before Pearl would succeed in channeling Mia, and she'd have to tell her big sister everything, which wasn't going to be easy. It wasn't just the fact that she didn't know wether or not Phoenix liked her too, but she was also wondering about what would happen to her future, if it all turned out the way she wanted it to turn out. Kurain was her hometown, but she hadn't been there in ages, because she had to help Phoenix out with his cases. However, sooner or later, she would become the next master... And she would have to be here. And Phoenix had his own law firm. He had to lead Wright & co, and that would be practically impossible to do when living in Kurain. So somehow, someone would have to make a choice. Not even considering the fact that her love wouldn't be answered. She sighed again. It would all be difficult.

"Maya?"
Maya turned around to see the face that matched the voice that had called her, but she actually already knew before she saw her face. "Sis!" She jumped off the bed and ran to the woman that was standing in the doorway. She had a weird hairdo and her clothes were too small, but one could still see she was pretty. Maya flung her arms around her.
"I missed you so much..." A tear fell from Maya's eyes. "It's been so long..."
"I know, Maya, I missed you too." The woman smiled. "But I'm afraid we have little time... So please tell me what it is that you wanted to discuss with me."
Maya wiped away her tears. It was hard, but Mia was right. Normally, sisters could talk about their problems for hours, but Maya's time with Mia was restricted to the time Pearl was able to channel her.

"So... What did you call me for? I see there's no Phoenix, you're not kidnapped, and there's no old guy to practically show my boobs to, so I wonder... What is it?"
Maya giggled. "I'm still sorry about that... I just didn't know what else to do. But, you know... It does have something to do with that guy."
"Huh?!"
"It's just... How did you do it, Mia?"
"Do what?"
"Attract every guy that walked by you."
"Do you mean you called me for that?"
"Well... I guess... But not really. It's just... I wonder how you do it. Even the old guy, who loved waitresses, saw me in my uniform and said he didn't like me. And that I lacked every form of elegance. It hurts, sis, it really does. Even though... Nobody really notices it."
"Nobody would be Phoenix, right? Tell me, Maya, is he the real reason behind all this?"
Maya looked shocked. How would she know?
"I know, you're probably thinking: 'How would she know?' Well, first of all, I'm your sister, and second of all, I didn't become a lawyer for nothing, Maya."
"Well, I guess you're right... I've noticed that my feelings towards him have changed. I don't know how and I don't know why, but suddenly... I can't stand not being around him. Even now, when you're here. But..."
"You don't know wether or not he likes you too?"
"Yes."
"Well, I'm afraid there's going to be only one way to find that out."
"I know... But I don't know how, Mia. What if he doesn't like me after all? I mean... He can have girls that are a lot prettier than I am!"
"First of all, Maya, no one is prettier than you are. No one."
"But Iris is! And... She kind of liked him, didn't she? She's just beautiful..."
"Maybe. But you're my sister, and to me, there's no one who's even close to being as gorgeous as you are. And you know? If Phoenix doesn't see that either, then he's not worth being with. You've saved him so many times, and you have been in danger so many times because of him. If he doesn't like you, Maya... Then do what your heart tells you to do."
"What my heart tells me?"
"Yes. You can either run away and never see him again, or decide to remain friends. But don't do anything that doesn't feel right."
"Run... Away?"
"It is your choice. But you will have to tell him. Anyway, I can't even imagine that he wouldn't want to be with you. Still... You have to be prepared for everything. Always."
"Okay..."
"Just remember: whatever happens, it is never your fault. If he doesn't like you, he's crazy."
"But still... Everyone seemed to like you, always. How did you do that?"
"Well... They only liked me skin deep. And that is something you don't want to be jealous of, ever. The only one who loved me, truely loved me... was Diego. And look at how he ended up. If you ever have the time to, Maya, you should visit him. Somehow... I miss him, up here."
Suddenly, just a single tear that would have gone unnoticed, hadn't Maya known her sister better, fell from Mia's cheek into her neck.

Maya thought about the conversation she had had with her sister. She had never known that her sister was still grieving over Diego. She had seemed to have coped with it so fast. Maybe her sister was right, she had to pay him, or his new alter ego, a visit when the time had come for it. And mister Edgeworth, too. They hadn't seen him in ages and somehow, she felt like that would affect Edgeworth more than he would ever admit. After all, he never really had friends ever since his father was killed and he had had to switch schools. Maybe her sister had been right. Being looked at and being called gorgeous wasn't all that good, if it wasn't one of your loved ones who said it.

Okay, so now this thing is making two posts while I only wanted one... I really am stupid :P

Captain Hair!

Wow, this is great so far! I really like your writing style, and I see a lot of potential in this storyline. Keep up the good work - I can't wait until the next part is done!

Thank you so much :edgy:

I'm going to try to be quicker, but I have to work a lot. I realise it's going really slow right now.
Re: Siren's fanfictions (Update July 31th)Topic%20Title

Okay... I can't really say anything except that I'm really, really sorry. :larry: I thought a big deal about how I was going to write this, and then wrote it all in once. I didn't adapt it once. Please tell me what you think about it. It could be pretty bad, because I've never written anything like this before. After all, this is my first fanfiction!

Also, I want to remind you of the fact that this is not the ending of the story. I will write on and then it will become more happy. I hope you still enjoy this.

Spoiler:
Phoenix looked at the clock. It should be about time to pick Maya up from the station. He was glad she'd be back, because it had been awfully quiet the last days. Without her, it always seemed quiet. He had met with some interested clients, and decided to go with one, because he had to pay the rent somehow. Studying the case files, he had also thought of Iris, and he had decided to tell Maya today of tomorrow. He had to, maybe she'd be useful in helping him to having a good conversation with Iris. Usually, she was so shy that he didn't really know what to say to her. Maybe Maya knew something to deal with this. She was a girl, after all. Checking the clock again, he stood up and took his car keys. He had finally received his license after some painful lessons. Edgeworth had been right: having a license was extremely helpful. Still, he didn't drive much, preferring puclib transport, walking and biking. Besides, he thought Edgeworth's car way over the top. He bought a relatively small one.

"Shit!" He pressed the brakes as hard as he could.
"Phew. That was just in time."
The driver in the car behind him made an obscene hand gesture.
"I know, I know! There's no reason for giving me the finger, I know I probably drive as good as Pearls would, but they gave me my license so it's their fault I'm actually allowed to drive! Plus, it's not very nice."
Luckily, he was already almost there. He hoped Maya would be in time, and willing to step into the car if she found out he was going to drive at all.

--------------------------------------------------------------

"I have to tell him..."
She was repeating this over and over again in her head.
She had already decided. Would he not like her, then she would leave. She couldn't possibly stay to see the one she loved take off with someone else. She suspected him of liking Iris. She knew Iris liked Phoenix, she had admitted this herself during that trial. Of course Mia would say otherwise, but Mia remained her sister and therefor, her opinion couldn't really be trusted, though she hoped her sister to be right. And Iris... Seemed, as Franziska would call it, 'perfect in every way.' Though... She did think it unfair, would Phoenix fall for her. Iris had never spoken up when her twin sister decided to poison Phoenix. She understood as much from the last trial. Though trying to prevent it at first, she had not stopped her sister when she had actually decided to do it. She herself had saved Phoenix by jumping in front of him when Manfred von Karma had tried to electrocute him. She had been held hostage by an assassin and risked her life again when she had asked Phoenix to have his client declared guilty, which would have meant her death, hadn't Mia, Pearly and even Franziska come to the rescue at the exact right time. She certainly didn't know how to react if Phoenix would turn her down.

"Nick! Good to see you!"
"Good to see you too. I missed you, it was really quiet around me! So, how was your trip? How is Pearls doing?"
"Aww, how cute of you. It was great! Pearls missed me a lot, you know. We should invite her some day."
"Yes, your right. Tell me all about your trip on the way home. The car is parked in front of the station, we should hurry."
"Wait. Don't tell me you're driving again."
"Yes I am, and I'm really improving-"
"How many middle fingers did you see this time?"
"Just four..."
"My God, you really are improving!"
"I know! Now get in already!"
She grinned.
"Well, with only four fingers, I guess it's okay."

Phoenix looked at Maya. She had been acting strange the whole evening.
"Is dinner okay? You seem so... I don't know, you're not eating a lot."
"I'm not that hungry."
"How come? You're always hungry!"
"I... I don't know. I'm just not hungry."
"Okay. Then you don't have to eat."
He smiled. She smiled back. He had been trying to tell her about Iris the whole time. He sighed. The moment had come now. If he didn't do it now, he would probably never do it, and that would be wrong. Maya was his closest friend, after all. She was far more than his assistant.
"Maya... I have to tell you something."
He looked at her, with his most serious face, so that she wouldn't make a joke that would prevent him from saying it.
She looked up. Tell he something? His face was serious. Would he- No, he couldn't possibly.
"What is it? You look all serious all of a sudden."
She smiled.
He drew another big breath.
"I... I've been wanting to tell you this for a long time. But swear you don't laugh at me, okay? If you don't help me, I don't think I can control this feeling any longer."
Her heart nearly skipped a beat. It really did sound like he was going to confess his love for her! She smiled again, this time in relief.
"You know you can tell me anything. I know I laugh at you a lot, but I thought you knew now that a part of me can also be serious. I'm nineteen now, Nick."
Okay. That was good. She wasn't going to laugh.
"Okay. I'll tell you, then... I love someone. But... I don't know how to tell her."
Maybe... Just maybe this was the moment to tell him her secret too, as she was almost sure now that he would name her as his secret love.
"I have a secret too. I also love someone."
Suddenly, he frowned. Maya, in love with someone? Who could it be? He thought of someone of Kurain, of Larry, even of Edgeworth, but it was probably someone he didn't know.
"Really?"
He smiled. It would be great if that person would love her too. Though, if it was Larry, he would do anything in his power to prevent a relationship between these two.
"Who is the lucky bastard, then?"
She collected all of her courage.
"Nick... I suppose you already know this... But the person I fell in love with... It is you."
For a moment, she thought her nerves would certainly make her faint.
His heart stood still for a second. His mouth became dry. He had the urge to yell at her. Him?! She fell in love with him?! Right now?! Right at this very moment, in which he had wanted to ask her help for talking to Iris?! He didn't know what to say, so for a moment, he didn't say anything at all. His heartbeat was raging. What did he have to do? Him and Maya?! He had never expected this, knowing that he didn't feel the same thing for her, and he certainly didn't know what to do right now.
"Why aren't you saying anything? I thought you were going to say you loved someone too?"
All of a sudden, she was getting nervous again. His silence took too long to be a good sign.
"I- I don't know what to say. I really, really don't. I mean, you can't love me, I'm not nearly as handsome as, let's say, Miles Edgeworth, I say funny things even in court, and I sweart terribly when I get nervous, you can't be serious about this, so you have to be joking, right?"
"I was not. Why do you think so? And what was your secret, Phoenix, you were going to tell me something, weren't you?"
She called him Phoenix. She was not joking. He had to tell her the truth. He felt like he was going to throw up right at that very moment.
"I... Maya... I'm so sorry... I was going to tell you that I've fallen in love with Iris... I wanted... to ask your help... I'm so sorry..."
Tears were burning in her throat. For a minute, just a mere minute, she had really believed that he liked her. But against Iris, she should have known that she didn't have a chance, not even the slightest, to be the winning party. Iris was so beautiful, and she was nothing. Iris was nice, and she was always yelling at Phoenix. In one minute, she felt so lost and lonely. She ran over all the things that Mia had told her. And she knew. She had to leave.
"Okay then. I'll be taking my leave now."
------------------------------------------------------
"L- leaving? What are you talking about?!"
Suddenly, he felt his heartbeat go so fast that he thought he was going to die from it. She couldn't leave. Maya couldn't leave!
"You can't leave!"
"But I can!"
"Why?! I can't be without you so sudden!"
"But you can! You just told me that you'd rather be with Iris!"
"Yes, but only in terms of that particular love! I love you to, but just not in that-"
"Just not that way?! That's exactly the point here, Phoenix Wright, and I should have known! I should have known that I do not have the slightest chance of even competing with Iris!"
"Why is that?!"
"Because she's ten times the girl I am! She's so beautiful and I'm nothing, nothing at all, Phoenix!"
Tears were flowing all over her face. She couldn't speak properly anymore. Suddenly, she felt a strong hate for Phoenix coming up. He tried to comfort her.
"No... That's not right. Come here, you. I just... You're so young, and Iris is more... More mature... But I do love you, as a friend!"
She felt the hate growing. She felt like slapping him. She looked him straight into the face, her eyes almost spitting fire.
"More mature?! MORE MATURE?! I certainly wasn't too immature when I jumped into that electrocutor for you, was I?! And I sure didn't sound immature when I was captured by an assassin and told you to rather have me killed instead of letting Matt Engarde go! But now, I'm too immature for you?!
"No, no, that's not what I meant-"
"BUT YOU DID! You said it! And now I finally know how severely I misjudged you, Phoenix Wright! That you'd rather go for a girl who's so mature that she finds it okay to go along with a fake kidnapping and a poisoning, and that you are so mature that you actually fall for a girl who didn't even protest when her sister was going to poison you! No, that's really mature, DON'T YOU THINK?!"
Her heart was beating. Her eyes were certainly feeling like they were spitting fire. She hated him with every inch of her skin.
------------------------------------------------
"Now don't talk to her about that! She's in prison now because she wanted to save you! Without her, you'd probably not be here right now!"
"You shut up! I wouldn't be here without Diego! The only thing she really did was stab a dead body, and she couldn't even do that right!"
"You're being ungrateful! To me, too! I've saved you a dozen times already!"
He raised his voice, but he felt like crying. What had he done wrong? He had protected her with all of his life, she was his dearest friend! What was he doing?! He was screaming, while all he wanted was that Maya would stay here... She couldn't leave... She wouldn't leave...
"O of course you did! Well, I wouldn't have been in danger if you hadn't been here in the first place!"
He knew he had to lower his voice... He knew he was chasing her away... But this was so unfair...
"Stop it! Please, stop it!"
"I won't! I'm leaving, you just go to Iris already! That's all you've ever wanted!"
Don't say it... Don't say it...
"YES WELL SHE CERTAINLY ISN'T SCREAMING TO ME RIGHT NOW! IF ONLY YOU WOULD BE AS NICE TO ME AS SHE IS! BUT I NEVER DO ANYTHING RIGHT!"
O no. He had said it.
Finally, she was silent. Her heartbeat came back to normal. Her tears were reduced to one single tear, that carried more pain than the whole river of tears from before had done.
"Very well then. Then... I guess... This is goodbye. Farewell, Phoenix."
She didn't even care to pack her belongings. He could have them.
"N- no... Don't..."
But he stood there, completely still. He didn't do anything as she walked out of the door. He almost closed the door behind her.
"Wait... Where are you going, actually?"
She answered in a soft voice, that was overcrowded by pain.
"I don't know... Somewhere."
"I wan't to be certain that you're safe."
"O no, Phoenix. You don't care at all. I'm not nice to you, after all."
A tear came down from his eyes. She pretended as if she didn't see it, or she really didn't see it. He did not know.
"I'm going to Edgeworth."
"Edgeworth?"
"Yes. He'll help me."
And with that, she ran of into the darkness.
He closed the door and sat on the couch, crying and holding the Magatama she'd given to him.

Last edited by Siren on Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spoiler:
A tragedy...

But now we know why he lost his badge. It's all Iris' fault!

icer wrote:
Spoiler:
A tragedy...

But now we know why he lost his badge. It's all Iris' fault!

That would be convenient, wouldn't it? :phoenix:

Spoiler:
Maya looked around her. So this had to be the prosecutor's building. She had never thought that she'd set foot in here alone, without Phoenix. But she couldn't really turn back now. Would she be able to go inside? Would Edgeworth even still be here at this time of day? It wasn't really late, but Phoenix was already at home, so maybe he had left too. Well, she wasn't going to find out by just standing here. Edgeworth was the only one who could help her figure out what to do right now, since Pearly wasn't here and she wouldn't be in time to be in Kurain before the night fell. She had to sleep somewhere this night. She pushed the door. Luckily, it opened, even though she thought it strange that one could just step in here without permission or something like that. It was very big inside, a lot bigger than Phoenix' office. As she walked on, she noticed that there was a security guard office, so somehow, she would have to convince the guard of the fact that she was a friend of Edgeworth, which looked pretty difficult to her. She tried not to think of the argument she just had. She needed a place to sleep first.

"Maya?!"
The voice came from the security guard office. She looked over in that direction and saw a familiar face.
"Maggey? What are you doing here?"
"I could ask you the exact same thing! Why isn't mister Wright with you? Are you investigating another case?"
"No... No, we're not. Actually, Maggey, I have a request for you. Is Miles Edgeworth still here?"
"You sure sound all serious... Yes, he is still in his office. Do you want me to ask him to let you in?"
"Yes, you'd make me very happy by doing that. I'll tell you the whole story later!"
"Understood! I'll call him right away!"

"Miss Fey... I must say I do not completely understand why you are here, but since you are a lady, I'm obliged to let you in."
She stepped into the office that she had seen a few times before. She remembered the case in which she and Phoenix had defended Edgeworth when he had been accused of murdering a defense attorney. She forced herself not to think about it.
"Isn't Wright with you?"
She didn't really know how to put it.
"To tell you the truth, mister Edgeworth, I came here alone. And... I have a request for you. A... rather unusual request."
She was trying her best to sound mature. She had to grow up. Phoenix had said it himself. From now on, she would never sound immature again. And the right person to teach her how to sound mature, should be Edgeworth, since he had the biggest vocabulary she knew.
"A request? I don't hope you and Wright had an argument?"
"We did. A little over an hour ago. And since I left his house, I need a place to stay the night. I was hoping you could help me with this."
He looked rather shocked.
"Why did you come to me for this? There's an hotel facing Wright's office!"
"I didn't take any money. I can't pay for an hotel."
"He didn't give you any money?! Wait, what happened anyway? You can't just storm into my office and expect me to fully understand everything, miss Fey!"
"I know... I can explain... I can explain all of it."

She told him. She told everything that had happened, including the own stupid things she had done. It was difficult, admitting to her own sillyness and embaressment, but over the years, she had learned that being honest was the best way to go with. After her story, Edgeworth looked rather pale. She could guess why. He probably wasn't the person to give advice about romance, especially not to teenage girls. She thought about a way to say the words she wanted to say. It was difficult to sound mature.
"Mister Edgeworth. I did not come here to get advice about my relationship with Phoenix. I just need a place to sleep. You could borrow me some money... I promise to return it to you once I get to Kurain. I don't know who else to go to. I don't know where detective Gumshoe lives... This is the only place I could go to."
"It's allright, miss Fey. You can stay here. I don't want you wandering off at this time of day."
She looked out of the window. It was late now. Her story had taken longer than she had thought.
"I really am sorry about this. What do you advice me to do now, mister Edgeworth?"
He made his usual thinking face. She had seen it so much in court. But she had to be strong now. She was never to be in court again. At least, not at the defense's bench.
"I advise you to go back to your hometown. I can bring you there tomorrow, my car is here."
She didn't know what to say. Edgeworth, helping her? Not only offering her a place to sleep, but also offering to bring her all the way to Kurain?
"I appreciate it very much, but... Why do that for me?"
"Because I owe you, miss Fey."
She looked puzzled. What did he owe her for?
"For jumping into that electric taser. Wright told me. I never forgot."
"Thank you, mister-"
"Just call me Miles. I have nothing else to offer but the couch. I'll make it ready for you."

"Daddy?"
Phoenix opened his eyes. Before him was Trucy, his adopted daughter.
"What were you thinking about? You've been in this couch the whole afternoon! You've got to be less lazy if you want to be an Ace Attorney again, daddy!"
He looked up into the face of his daughter, and smiled.
"You're right. I was just... Thinking about an old friend."
"O? Who is this 'friend', daddy? Someone I know?"
"No! You certainly haven't met her. I haven't seen her in years. Eight years, to be exact."
"Her?"
"Yes. She was my assistant."
"What happened?"
"We... Had an argument. And then she left. It was a few months before the case that cost me my badge... But gave me you in return! Let's go get some noodles!"
"You bet! I'm really hungry! I could eat five bowls of noodles and have a burger as a dessert!"
Suddenly, a shock went through his heart. This remembered him too much of Maya, and how missing her had changed him over the years. Of course he had gone to Iris, a few days after the argument. If only he had gone after Maya, then maybe none of this all would have happened. Maybe she would have prevented him from taking the forged evidence. She and Mia had always saved him, but that day, they hadn't been there. But he hadn't gone after Maya. He had gone to the detention center. To Iris.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Phoenix stepped into the detention center. He had been here so many times, but this time was different. He was going to confess his love for Iris. Maya's department had hurt him, but he had also been looking forward to this day. Maybe he would finally find love. And he couldn't get her back anyway. She'd come back herself. She'd see that she had been acting strange. After all, he couldn't change his feelings.

"Mister Wright? Is that you?"
"Iris!"
He walked towards the door of the guarded room he had seen so many times, and hugged the girl that came out of the door. She was beautiful in every way. She smiled at him.
"I'm finally free again! I have been looking forward to this day, Mister Wright." She blushed.
"You can call me Phoenix. I feel so old when you call me 'mister'."
"Okay... Phoenix."
"So, did you come to pick me up and bring me back to Hazakura Temple?"
"Well... Actually, I wanted to tell you something..."
Re: Siren's fanfictions (Update August 4)Topic%20Title

Captain Hair!

Ooh, cliffhanger ending! I love this fanfic, keep up the good work.

Thank you so much! I will add something once I've made up how exactly I'm going to put it. I haven't really found out yet how the cliffhanger will continue.

:)

Liking this fic. Very cool love triangle.

Thank you for the comment :edgy:. I had to think about this for a while, but because I'm going on a city trip tomorrow (Londen, five days), I thought that I had to post it now. It didn't turn out the way I wanted it to at first, but I think this is better!

Spoiler:
"What do you want to tell me, Phoenix? Because if it's important, you can also tell me here."
"No, no... I really can't."
"Are you sure?"
"Yes, I am. I'm sorry, Iris, but I don't want to do it here. Let's go to my office, okay?"
He gave her a nervous smile.
"Well, if you insist."
She returned the smile to him, a little ignorant.
"Let's get out of here! You're on your way to freedom!"
She grinned.
"Yes, I'm quite looking forward to seeing the daylight again."
"Let's get going then!"
----------------------------------------
"Goodmorning, miss Fey."
"What...? Where am I...?
"In my office, miss Fey. Don't you remember?"
"Huh?!" Mr. Edgeworth?! What did we?!"
"You came here for my help, miss Fey. Do not mix up the facts."
"O... Oh, yeah... I remember now... What time is it anyway?"
"It's six o'clock."
"Six?! Are you insane? Six o'clock is sleeping time! Well, at least, it was, at Nick's..."
"But we are not with Mr. Wright, miss Fey. Unless you want me to return you to him... I'm afraid I'll have to do for now."
"You'd... Return me to him?"
"If that's what you wish me to do, then yes, I will. To be honest, I think you should in fact go back."
"You think so?"
"Yes. I... Do not have the intention to meddle in your plans... But..."
He hesitated. Maya looked at him. He seemed a bit embarassed, but she had seen him like this before. She had seen him transform from ruthless prosecutor into a kind, but shy man.
"But what, Mr. Edgeworth?"
"But your friendship was unlike anything else I have ever seen. Wright may have been rude to you yesterday... But he is a good man, miss Fey. I never thought I'd say this, but... He's been the one person in my life that became closest to a friend. And I thought I told you to call me Miles."
Call him Miles? He had suggested that yesterday, but it seemed so unreal. Her and Nick... Had always called him Edgeworth. Pearly had called him Edgeworth. But maybe, with his transformation, the time had also come to change other things. Like his name. This man owed her a lot... But she also owed him.
"Then I would like to inform you that you're stil calling me 'miss Fey' too."
And then, he did something she hadn't seen him do in the three years that she knew him. He smiled.
"Point taken... Maya."
"Then I guess it's okay to call you Miles."
"So... Maya. Do I return you to Wright, or do I bring you to Kurain?"
"You know... Miles.... All these things you said... I thought they were true too. My sister thought they were true."
"So your point is?"
She thought. Yes, what was her point? Did she have to go back? Let go of all of her pride, and return to the man that was the best friend she ever had in her life? But, when doing that... She'd have to face his love for Iris. See him every day, in love with another girl, that was a thousand times the girl she was, despite of all the things she had done for Phoenix, maybe even see him marry her, would it come that far.
"I can't..."
"Then I will respect your decision and bring you to your home. After breakfast, of course. What do you like?"
The pain... The memories... She had to say them all goodbye and forget about it. Everything but seeing him happy with someone else.
"Surprise me."
-------------------------------------
"So, we're here!"
"You have a lovely office, Phoenix."
"O, of course, you haven't been here yet!"
"No, I haven't. But I must say you've decorated it quite well."
"Well, that's Maya's work-"
He fell silent. Maya had decorated this office with him. She had placed the Steel Samurai poster on the wall. The poster he hadn't ever removed, even though his clients thought it inaproppriate for the office of an attorney.
"Yes, where is she, actually? I had thought she'd be here. I'd love to get to know her better - after all, she is my cousin, even though I haven't ever had the chance to speak to her properly."
"She's..."
'Think, Phoenix, think! You can't tell her...'
He had totally forgotten that Maya and Iris were family. They were, in some way, both Feys, even though Iris hadn't inherited any of the Fey power, and didn't grow up in Kurain Village. He thought back. Should he lie? Wasn't that the same as betraying Maya? But... She had left him! Not the other way around!
"She's gone to visit a friend."
"Okay. Then I guess I'll talk to her next time."
"Yeah, she really wanted to come, but she hadn't seen her friend in a while, and they made this appointment a long time ago, so..."
"No, it's fine! I understand. So, what did you want to tell me?"
Shit. He had hoped to have a little bit more time, but the time had probably come to tell her.
"Iris... I..."
No, he had to be more straightforward, and, for once, not be the coward he had been all his life! He had to be more like... Him. Always cool and reserved, but still able to get his feelings across.
"I have wanted to tell you this for a while now, but I didn't really know how. And I still don't really know how, but I have to. My last trial... It did something to me. Something I didn't feel before."
"It did? Well, Phoenix... I must say... It did the same thing to me."
She blushed. He was going the right way with this!
"I've been willing to tell you that I... I love you, Iris. I don't know why... But I've loved you ever since that incident."
He moved towards her. Their faces were so close to each other, that he could smell the perfume that was on her neck. A sweet scent that made him remember everything...
"I think I love you too... Phoenix..."
Suddenly, he felt a flashback of that case. How Iris had been on trial, how he immediately wanted to represent her, but couldn't, because of his injuries, and how he had asked Edgeworth to replace him instead... He hadn't been able to go himself, because he had fallen from the bridge. He had wanted to rescue Maya...
Maya?
Then, after that... He had gone to court himself, to defend her, and he had somehow proven her innocence... Even though he didn't quite remember how, because all this time, he had been worried about Maya...
Wait. He loved Iris, didn't he? Then why didn't he remember the pain that he had gone through when he realized that she would be taking the blame for something she hadn't done? Why did he suddenly feel like he didn't want to be here, like he didn't want to kiss her? Why was his head... hurting?
He thought back, all in this moment, of the time he had defended Maya in court, the day she had been arrested for killing a surgeon... And how he had believed in her, every single time, even in the last trial, in which Iris had testified against her, even though it hadn't really been her. It had been so believable that Maya had killed her mother, not knowing it was her, but he hadn't doubted her a second. He relived the despair of the moments in which he had thought he had lost her forever, in the case against Engarde, in the last case, in which he had really thought that she was dead, and he had failed to protect her... He felt the pain of last evening... He smelled Iris' scent, and suddenly, felt like he was going to faint.
"Maya!"
"What?"
Suddenly, the moment was over. He had been living towards this for so long, and now... He couldn't do it.
"I- I can't do it, Iris... I'm so sorry, I can't..."
"Why is that?"
"I... I fought with Maya yesterday..."
"You had a fight?"
"Yes..."
"About what?"
"She... She told her she loved me, and I rejected her..."
"O..."
"I'm such an idiot!"
He hit the wall with his fist, and didn't feel the pain at all, even though his hand started bleeding.
"Phoenix... If you feel like you love her more than me..."
"I don't know anymore, Iris! I honestly don't... I'm so sorry... Up until now, I thought I wanted to be with you more than anything... But now I'm not sure anymore... I feel like an idiot for doing this to you, but... I can't be with you right now.
"It's okay. I had expected it."
He looked up, his face covered in tears.
"You expected it?"
"Yes. The way you were defending her, even though it seemed so likeable that she had done it... I've heard it from Mr. Edgeworth. He thought the world of you, you know, Phoenix? And I know I should be sad that we didn't happen... I think it is right for you to be with Maya. It hurts, but... We are in the past."
"Please don't tell me you don't want to see me anymore..."
"I won't. I still admire you as a friend, and if you wish me to be yours, I will."
"Thank you, Iris... Thank you so much... You are so much more of a person than I am... I let her go, and now I'm doing this to you..."
"Find her."
"What?"
"Find Maya. Before it's too late."
He panicked. What if it was too late?
"I- she said she was going to Edgeworth! I- I have to go now! Before I'm late!"
"Then go. You have my blessing."
"Thank you, Iris!"

He rushed into the prosecutors' office. He had no idea where Edgeworth lived, but then again, Maya didn't have any idea about that either, so she had to have gone here in the first place. Maybe someone knew something!
"Mr. Wright?"
He looked at the security guard office.
"Maggey!"
"This is weird, Maya was here too, alone, and now you're here, alone-"
"Maya was here?! Thank God, Maggey, where did she go?!"
"She spent the night here, and Mr. Edgeworth got up early this morning to bring her to her home-"
"How early?!"
"I guess they left at seven, why?"
He checked his watch. It was already eleven am.
"Shit, I'm too late, I'm too late!"
He cried like he had never done before.
"What is wrong?"
"I have to see his office, I have to!"
"Wait... Maya... She left you something, sir."
"She did?!"
"Yes... Here it is."
Maggey gave him a letter. It was in Maya's handwriting. He opened it, his fingers trembling.

Dear Nick,

Though I wished things had gone differently last night, I accept that you cannot change your feelings towards me or Iris. I therefor do not blame her.

Mr. Edgeworth has been very friendly to me, and I guessed you'd come here... It's the way you are, isn't it? Always on top of things... I guess I will miss that. But I can't do anything else but leave. I will be in Kurain, and become the new master. I need to grow up, like you said. Don't come after me, Nick. I'm not mad at you, but I can't be with you, knowing that you love someone else. I guess I believed in miracles too much, even though it seemed like we've been living nothing but a miracle together. I have to stop believing in miracles. They do not exist.

I guess you will have to eat burgers for the both of us, now. Promise me you won't ever change, Nick. You were the best person I've ever met. Thanks for the memories. I won't ever forget. Please don't ever forget about me either.

Love,
Maya

PS. I will be sending you Steel Samurai tapes! Don't forget to watch them.

Tears were covering his whole face now.
"Are you okay... Mr. Wright?"
"Yes... I am... She's right... We shouldn't... See eachother... For now. I'm sorry Maggey. I... I'm going now."

He hadn't seen her after that. He had lost his badge, without her standing next to him... And still... The only thing he ever got from her was Steel Samurai tapes... He played them over and over, even though he didn't like the show. It was the only thing that kept the memory alive, over all those years. The only thing that stopped him from talking about Maya to Trucy, Apollo, or all the other people he had met over the years. But he had never forgotten her. Ever. If only he hadn't been too late...

I hope to post the next part after returning from London! I also changed some things in the previous part, because I felt it didn't fit.
Re: Siren's fanfictions (Update August 16)Topic%20Title

Captain Hair!

Great job with the new chapter! I can't wait to see where the story goes next. :edgy:
Re: Siren's fanfictions (Update August 16)Topic%20Title

Great chapter.
Spoiler:
I love the sequence when Phoenix comes to his senses.

Page 1 of 1 [ 23 posts ] 

Board index » Present Evidence » Present Testimony