Board index » Present Evidence » Sprites

Page 3 of 8[ 284 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next

Re: Need to know how to make sprites?Topic%20Title

Boku ITALIA~!

I use GIMP all the time and I never knew you could make animations on it! You learn something new everyday! :eh?:
ImageImageImageImage
Avvie and siggy by me!
CR married to SKeledude12

Ooh, a real drumroll. Nice.

Spoiler: GS4

My first attempt at redrawing a sprite.

...Hopefully someday... xD

Recoloring, eh?
Well... :yuusaku:
Well sor a first attempt it's pretty nice.
Allthought...There are few odd white dots here and there, but I hope I'll see your works more someday.
ImageImageImageImage

Mr. Ygrrjfjdosowhatever

I use Paint.NET rather than paint. It has much better functionality.

"You Crack Me Up Little Buddy"

Tajiri Ami wrote:

Thanks for posting this ^-^. Seeing the way you made your character right in front of me instead of just reading it made it a lot easier for me to do my first proper one, which was of me ^-^ (in my av/sig).
Check Out My Gyakuten Saiban/Kenji Art Here
Keep Blue Badger Running Forever! Join The Blue Badger Fanbase!

Mostly human

Uploading Percei's animation tutorial for simplicity's sake.

Spoiler: Animation, Part 1: Talking and Blinking
HELLO EVERYONE! and welcome to the animation tutorial, today's lesson, talking in blinking sprites. I'm going to be using Isabella Ruby de Killer as an example sprite. Necessary things for this are:
-A Sprite (DUR)
-A Sheet for said sprite. (Not a full one, but it needs to contain the two mouth positions, and the closed and halfway closed eyes.)
-A Bit of Familiarity With the GIMP
-Patience

Once you have all those, we can get right down to it, I'm gonna show you how to turn Image into Image.

Lets get started!
Step 1: Well, first select the sprite you wish to animate, I've chosen Isabella here. Then, look down at the dimensions (which I've circled here) jot down those dimensions and then start up the gimp.

Step 2: From the 'File' menu on the main GIMP toolbar and select 'New...' then enter the dimensions as shown. Then click 'OK'.

Step 3: Now, if you haven't already, open the Layers dialog (click the Dialogs dropdown menu and then click Layers). Now open your sprite in paint, press Ctrl-A and then Ctrl-C. You can close paint, come back over to your main worksheet (it'll have a block of white on it) and press Ctrl-V. If you look at your Layers window, it will now say 'Floating Section'. You need to anchor this floating section, to anchor a pasted piece of work, click the rectangular select tool (as pictured in the red circle) and click anywhere outside the white area, and voila! Your sprite is now anchored to the background, and the games can begin.

Step 4: Now, it's time to make a new frame. Click the 'Layers' dropdown menu and click 'New Layer', this screen will open up, now name your layer "Frame 2 (200ms) (combine)" and click 'OK'. The (200ms) is the time between the next frame and this one, and the (combine) optimizes the animation. Now you should say your layers screen has changed to include the new layer, now lets move on.

Step 5: Ok, we're going to do a lot of little things in this step. First off add two new layers in the same fashion you did in the last step, only changing the titles to Frame 3 and Frame 4. Next, double click the title of the Background layer and add (200ms) as shown, then press enter. Finally you need to transparentize the background (See: First Tutorial), once you have done so, we can move on to the next step.

Step 6: OK, now open your sprite sheet (for the sprite you're animating) in Paint, now were going to animate the mouth. So, locate the the wide open mouth talking sprite. Using the select tool, highlight the mouth starting from the bottom of the chin and to the bottom of the nose. Then press Ctrl-C. Now, go to your layers screen and click Frame 2, it should be highlighted in blue (as frame 4 is in this example). Before you do anything, zoom in by 400% (the dropdown menu near the bottom-middle of the work area). Now, go to the main workspace and press Ctrl-V. Your mouth will become a floating section, now, move it to where it fits onto the sprite (like I have there) and then anchor it by the same method you used earlier (rectangular select tool, click anywhere in the gray area outside the sprite work section) and your floating piece will be anchored and you'll have something similar to mine. Repeat this process for Frame 4.

Step 7: Now, your going to have to turn a couple of your layers invisible for a little bit. Do this by pressing the eye button next to the layer picture. Make Frames 2 and 4 invisible. Now, locate the second talking mouth (the smaller open mouth) and repeat the same Copy, Paste, Align, Anchor method from step 4. And your sprite should now have the similar position as mine.

Step 8: You can go ahead and make Frames 2 and 4 visible again. Now, go down to the bottom and highlight the background frame, then click duplicate layer, now move the frame to the top and rename it "Frame 5 (200ms)" just as I have, after that. add 3 more layers, as pictured using the same method as earlier.

Step 9: Locate the half-closed eyes from your sheet and use the same method from Step 4, doing this on Frame 6 and Frame 8.

Step 10: Now locate the closed eyes from your sheet and (once again) use the same method from step for, Copying, Pasting, Aligning, and Anchoring to Frame 7.

Step 11: Now, you have pretty much finished, you can view your animation by clicking Playback as shown in the dropdown menu. Once you've seen it, you can click 'File' then 'Save'.

Step 12: Finally click the button 'Save as Animation' on the Next Menu that will come up then click 'OK', another screen will pop up after that, but you can ignore that and just click 'OK'. Congratulations you've just animated a talking//blinking sprite. :edgy:

I'd say

The first post was already updated a while ago to include a link to Percei's tutorial page.
Nice thought though. :P

PWLib / AIGE developer

Percei's final resulting GIF is horrible. each frame should offer an entire sprite not just the changed content of that sprite.
If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything!
"(Not)Guilty" for PWLib | Emergency Case Selection Fixes
Case 1-1 for PWLib | Pearl

I hate Klaviema >_>

It's fine for just talking and blinking, but not for sprites where the ouline changes.

Percei's method actually reduces the filesize.
ImageImage
ImageImage

No DSis in the courtroom please.

I agree with Jibbs. It is unnecessary to make another sprite if you are just changing the jaw and eyes.
For things like objecting, you would need each sprite pose.

The only problem would come when you needed to make a sprite sheet, but that is an easy fix.
ImageImageImage

~Formerly Phantom Dream

hey, i wanted 2 make some sprites using AJ ema, but it won't let me access the sheets. help?
Sad to say, I've left C-R. I may still occasionally come on, but, y'know...
I just lost interest, but, this is still an awesome site.
I'll live on through my sprites, I hope. And my major contributions to the Max fanclub. ^_^
Bye ;_; ^_^

I hate Klaviema >_>

They're being updated. You'll just have to wait a while :godot:
ImageImage
ImageImage

Laziest Spriter in the West

FURUBA_whoo_daphne wrote:
hey, i wanted 2 make some sprites using AJ ema, but it won't let me access the sheets. help?

Actually, you can find it (the old one anyway) by going to one of the old working sheets and changing the name on the URL. n_n

http://www.court-records.net/sheets/DSsheet-skye.gif

...Hopefully someday... xD

Umm...Actually...There is still this one:
http://www.court-records.net/animation/
ImageImageImageImage

dragonking

for me this turorial if very vague.
learning and finding out on myself don't work for me. it makes me mad because i'm to much of a perfectionist :karma: and want things to work immediately. i tried but i failed to do the basic stuf :acro: in the turorial here but i got angry :zenny: because it didn't work out as i read in the turorial and it looked like sh*t compared to what is see. and others show.

could someone please help me in a (to me) more clear(/easier) way? :gantdown:

i have a great idea for a character. i have a whole backstory. and story in AA. i wanted to submit that character to the fanart co 2009 but i can't draw(amin style) well/good, i draw poorly/badly. so ba that it would never win/get accepted.. so i wanted to submit him to the sprite co but i can't make sprites.
if love is a dream, then let me forever sleep

I hate Klaviema >_>

Well you can't really have an any more detailed spriting guide without it just telling you how to make one specific sprite.

Just try Recolour/Headswaps to start with. A lot of the great sprites here are essentially just that. Then try swapping more minor parts, or customing a bit. You'll have a wonderful sprite in no time :godot:
ImageImage
ImageImage

dragonking

but still, that figure it out by yourself isn't clear to me.

I NEVER USED PAINT IN MY LIFE!

Just another day.

antorie wrote:

...sigh...nowones sprites are perfect...no matter what turtorial you use in the end it wont teach what youd like...this is because a turtorial shows you somthing and most will often repeat the process...but when it comes to actually making somthing your on your own since there is nothing but the tools you use and your imagination...the only way youll ever get better is by trying to sprite and exploring the possibilities of your tools...your first sprites will probably not look great...most arent...but with effort and the will to make it you can make a great sprite in time

sorry if i sounded rude in any way :P

dragonking

ok i get it.

but i'm realy bad at paint. and i think i have an old version cause i can't find much functions.

but thx for the response.

Cold52 wrote:
antorie wrote:

...sigh...nowones sprites are perfect...no matter what turtorial you use in the end it wont teach what youd like...this is because a turtorial shows you somthing and most will often repeat the process...but when it comes to actually making somthing your on your own since there is nothing but the tools you use and your imagination...the only way youll ever get better is by trying to sprite and exploring the possibilities of your tools...your first sprites will probably not look great...most arent...but with effort and the will to make it you can make a great sprite in time

sorry if i sounded rude in any way :P

and no, you weren't rude.

Just another day.

paint doesnt have alot of tools...its very basic...but its used by alot of people because of the accuracy you can get and plus the fact having little tools means its easier to manage them all

as for being bad at paint...trust an artist...i sucked using paint when i made my first sprite...heck i was hesitent on even bothering when i first started...
(Ive been drawing since i was very young so i was really used to pencil and paper and My first sprite was in november last year...compaired to my spriting from then and now ive made major improvemnts)

three things of advice i can give you...look at the original sprites for pw, look at others sprites, and finally look at your past sprite attempts and compair them...I ocassionally look back to my oldest sprites

try out all your tools, just scribble and mess around until your satisfied and understand them

finally dont be afraid to show your work and ask others what could be inproved...many people on this site usually will give some advise to you plus hearing feedback can make a person more determined to do somthing.

I hope this helps :P

dragonking

reading this makes me feel more confident.

i'l give it a try.

the only thing that bothers about paint is the fact when coloring it's hard to hit the right pixel(s).

this is my third attempt: Image

now that i look at it again, i see it's not so bad for a third attempt.

the previous two i didn't save

I hate Klaviema >_>

Some tips:

Save as .png. Always.

Zoom in, it'll make things easier.

Otherwise, that's pretty good for a first try :D

Do that and a recolour, and you have an OC!
ImageImage
ImageImage

Just another day.

jibs pretty much said the main parts...paint can get down to the last pixle...
( use x8 zoom is usually what id use...but x6 is also good :P )

you put his head a little to far up also (im sure your aware but ill say it anyways) making the collar could help.

dragonking

i zoomed in. but it still was hard to get the last pixel.

and yes i knew about the head. thats why i colored the neck to match the collar sort of.

i clicked the magnifying glass once, twice would reverse it. and as for the recolouring: this was a test for swapping and a little bit of recolouring. that stills works bad. i cant hit everything i want to recolour and some bit colour to long. i want one pixel but get a group.

and i don't know how to save it as a .png.

thx for the tips.

Just another day.

antorie wrote:
and i don't know how to save it as a .png.

thats easy...click save as...then at the bottem it should say save as type...scroll down to png and bam :P

dragonking

didn't know that.

i'm bad with computers: don't know al that stuf, do't even know how to use php or html

PsychoDahlia?!

Marshmello wrote:
Okay, here is goes:

Making Sprite Animations In Adobe ImageReady
Spoiler:
Step 1)
Step 2)
Step 3)
Step 4)
Step 5)
Step 6)
Step 7)
Step 8)

This is the final product:

Thank you so much for this! I had absolutely no idea how to make them move before... You are awesome!!
Thanks C.Gholy for my earth-shattering wallpaper, and .•°٭blinq٭°•. for this amazingly wonderful signature!

I know, Wright?

Thanks :gymshoe: I made that forever ago. You can also animate things in the exact same way using Photoshop CS3 (and I assume CS4), only instead of 'Save optimized as' you select 'Save for web and devices'.

When I made a talking/blinking animation, the frames started to overlap. help!
EDIT: I will use google before asking stupid questions XD

Last edited by Hahex on Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I hate Klaviema >_>

Set the frame disposal to "Replace (One frame per layer)" :godot:
ImageImage
ImageImage

wilddrawfour.tumblr.com

How do I make transparent backgrounds?

HERE COME DAT SPIRIT MEDIUM!

I hate Klaviema >_>

Open it in gimp, photoshop or a similar program, use the magic wand tool to select the background and press delete. Voila.
ImageImage
ImageImage

I know, Wright?

RandomJibberish wrote:
Open it in gimp, photoshop or a similar program, use the magic wand tool to select the background and press delete. Voila.

... and then save it as a GIF.

i think i sh** my pants

....or png

...or JPEG (gets shot)
Seriously, don't save it as the cursed .jpg.
Remember,Image

I hate Klaviema >_>

PNG for stills, Gif for animations.
ImageImage
ImageImage

RandomJibberish wrote:
PNG for stills, Gif for animations.
AND NO MATTER WHAT, NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER SAVE AS JPEG! Otherwise I will use my jpeg alert banner!

FIXD XD

wilddrawfour.tumblr.com

Can I do it in Paint?

HERE COME DAT SPIRIT MEDIUM!

i feel pretty

Where can you get GIMP from? Is it free? If so, can someone provide me a link?

What do you see behind the mask?

GIMP is even open source, Lind.
Here you go: http://www.gimp.org/windows/
Page 3 of 8 [ 284 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next

Board index » Present Evidence » Sprites