Board index » Present Evidence » Fanart

Page 13 of 13[ 510 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13

Re: Crit thread- Need any help improving your art?Topic%20Title

Waiting on Godot...

It's like Apple versus PC. It's what you're use to. Each swear that theirs is superiour to the other but if it does the job you want then It's probably not worth worrying about. Just know that Photoshop is a version of Gimp with more options, and the other programs are more painting type programs, or vector based. If you want to know what digital painting or vectors is then google Sai digital painting and vector art.
ImageImageImageImage

SMASHING DAY FOR A BARBEQUE.

Again, not so much art 'critique', just any general ideas would be great ^^

I did a piece of work on silk as part of my Art GCSE, and we have to present/mount all works in our books, which are made up of, well, paper. Is there any way to present silk and hold it down without compromising the quality? Glue would ruin the silk itself and sticky tape seems a bit... tacky (although I would use it if I must). Is there anything someone can reccomend? The best I've thought of so far is staples, but that could unthread the silk if it doesn't work properly (which it always does). I wouldn't like to buy anything, really, so does anyone have any general tips of how to keep silk down on paper?

Waiting on Godot...

The proper way to display silk art is on a stretched canvas set up cause it's essentially the same thing. As an alternative, you could tack it on to hard board which have some stand offs. IT's by no means ideal for silk, but put something in between the tack and the silk to stop it tearing.

Next time, I suggest using a standard medium like everyone else. You can use higher grade material if you want, but if you can't display a medium right then there's not alot of point in using it. It doesn't fit the task it was made for. Like.. there's no point making art that's fully rendered for an old DOS game cause the old DOS run computers can't run high spec art. This is the same thing. You can get high grade card and paint on that, and still display it just as nicely. If your teacher wanted you to work with silk, then they should've given you the capability to display it correctly. Hope that makes sense.
ImageImageImageImage

SMASHING DAY FOR A BARBEQUE.

No, that makes sense to me, thank you for the advice. I just really wasn't sure as how to go about it. I think the teacher just wanted us to experiment using different kinds of material and different techniques on the material (if you were interested, I was using watercolours using hot wax as a resist). The work isn't much in itself, it was mainly a practice of the technique.

I'll talk to my art teacher as to the best way of presenting it in my sketchbook, but your advice has been very helpful once again. I don't know what I'd do without this thread sometimes, it feels much more forgiving and friendly than other art critique websites.

Waiting on Godot...

Well... activity helps (even if it's only me replying T.T Come on guys...), but getting solutions to problems is most often more helpful than knowing what you did wrong and WHY it's wrong. That unfortunately takes time :( That, and alot of new artists can't take critique. Alot of the time people get upset being given advice. That's why this thread is here. IF you ask it, you have to WANT an answer. I can't handle artists that want back pats for drawing art. It doesn't work that way.
ImageImageImageImage

Heat Guy J

Arkillian wrote:
Well... activity helps (even if it's only me replying T.T Come on guys...

I'd post more, but it just seems like waiting for the next person to ask for a critique takes awhile. And I guess not being a mod doesn't compel me to come back and check often, which is often only when I have PW art to show off, and that doesn't always happen. So it's rather hit and miss with me.

Quote:
but getting solutions to problems is most often more helpful than knowing what you did wrong and WHY it's wrong. That unfortunately takes time :( That, and alot of new artists can't take critique. Alot of the time people get upset being given advice. That's why this thread is here. IF you ask it, you have to WANT an answer. I can't handle artists that want back pats for drawing art. It doesn't work that way.

Ja, that's what DA is for. It goes without saying though that when you have a critique thread, you're not going to post there and ask for one unless you're serious about getting comments that don't praise your work. I suppose some people are simply just making use of the fact that people will have to see your work in a critique thread, even if it's intended to help you improve, and not pat your back.

Anyways, as you may or may not know, Popolicious is having this project where he's collecting fanart of every character in Phoenix Wright, and I get to do one of Manfred von Karma. So naturally, I want to make this as good as possible. It's sometimes a struggle just getting his face and other details to look right though. I know I'm probably just being excessively picky, and some people won't see anything wrong with it, and I'll understand if people don't see it, but for example, I zoom in on certain areas (eg, faces) and it looks perfectly fine, but then I zoom out, and it looks different from the way I expected it to look. Or vice versa, occasionally. Does anyone else have that problem?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/ ... ma_WIP.jpg
Pauca sed matura.

Waiting on Godot...

Jay wrote:
Anyways, as you may or may not know, Popolicious is having this project where he's collecting fanart of every character in Phoenix Wright, and I get to do one of Manfred von Karma. So naturally, I want to make this as good as possible. It's sometimes a struggle just getting his face and other details to look right though. I know I'm probably just being excessively picky, and some people won't see anything wrong with it, and I'll understand if people don't see it, but for example, I zoom in on certain areas (eg, faces) and it looks perfectly fine, but then I zoom out, and it looks different from the way I expected it to look. Or vice versa, occasionally. Does anyone else have that problem?

I've entered several characters into the character collection project :) I did Diego and Robert Hammond. I'm currently doing Viola.

If you want my advice, don't zoom in. Flip instead. Flip it horizontally. What MAY be throwing you off is that his body is making a c shape. His foot position is counterbalancing him rather than his pelvis position making him look like he's doing an uncomfortable move. I assume he has the powerful glare to the side rather than a bend? Things like this can be easier to see when flipped. I don't know if the pose was intentional or not.

And yeah- with the lack of games getting translated outside of Japan, I think Courtrecords is feeling it with everyone leaving the fandom. You see crap all fanart of it now. It's really sad :( I'm hopping my collab fan comic isn't going to be a flop cause of this.
ImageImageImageImage

Heat Guy J

Arkillian wrote:
Jay wrote:

I've entered several characters into the character collection project :) I did Diego and Robert Hammond. I'm currently doing Viola.

I'm hoping to do Gregory Edgeworth next. If nobody takes him. Oh, why am I worried; nobody really wants to take the older, manly characters anyways.

Quote:
If you want my advice, don't zoom in. Flip instead. Flip it horizontally. What MAY be throwing you off is that his body is making a c shape. His foot position is counterbalancing him rather than his pelvis position making him look like he's doing an uncomfortable move. I assume he has the powerful glare to the side rather than a bend? Things like this can be easier to see when flipped. I don't know if the pose was intentional or not.

Thanks. Ja, I did actually consider flipping it horizontally, and I did notice some stuff, but I don't quite know if they're the problems that you pointed out. If they aren't, feel free to offer a red line critique; I won't mind.

I'm actually much happier with the face now that it's shaded in. I think it's because I got rid of all the hard lines that were distorting his face. That part is rather sensitive to draw though. I spend way too much time on it, and less on everything else. But it is important...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/ ... a_WIP2.jpg

Quote:
And yeah- with the lack of games getting translated outside of Japan, I think Courtrecords is feeling it with everyone leaving the fandom. You see crap all fanart of it now. It's really sad :( I'm hopping my collab fan comic isn't going to be a flop cause of this.

Let's hope that AA5 and that movie will stir up some activity again. I heard the movie is going to get some worldwide reception.
Pauca sed matura.

Waiting on Godot...

Yeah- rendering does help shape the face a lot more :) I did a David Tennant picture a while ago that looked nothing like him till I rendered him a little. Harsh lines isn't something the eyes and mind is use to seeing, even on an aged person.

Yeah- I got only half the story of it right though I notice now XD This is what happens when I take a nap and re look at things. The rehash you did on the suit is much better, but I realise now what was bugging me about the arch his body makes. It wasn't the arch it's self like I thought it was, it's the positioning of the load bearing foot that bugged me.

Now, I'm just scribbling together a redline crit here so the body is going to be wrong but bear with me

See how I have a large dot on his head? That is approx where the body takes it's balance readings from (the location is somewhere between the ears, which ends up being the top of the neck around the Foramen magnum- the big hole in your head the spine goes to). I'm not sure of the exact location on your drawing as he's more bear than how I draw my men, so I'm not familiar.

Assuming that gravity goes straight down on this, you draw a line straight down from here. Now, I deliberated for a moment wondering if my crit was correct cause it's correct if he has a load bearing leg, but not if he evenly distributes the weight between two legs. His legs are wider apart in this, so I assume that one leg is getting more weight than the other. My crit isn't entirely accurate. Posemaniacs has a better render of the pose than I do, but the why of that pose is there. The evenly distributed version of the pose is this He could have either pose- up to you. Your pose is a combo of both of these poses though. In the even weight pose, the gravity line goes in the middle of the two legs. I don't know how accurate I am here (It was an after thought checking posemaniacs. Should've gone there first), but that's sadly my only crit for you, hon :( It's only pencil stage so there's not alot to say. I hope I helped :)

Do take Gregory if you can :) I considered going after him, but I'd rather you drew him since aged men is your thing. I mean, Robert Hammond is older, but my version of him doesn't really have the same old feel your men do :) It's my art style. IT leans to middle aged men, not older than that men :) I did consider taking him. I would if you don't want him. There's alot of characters I'd like to draw. I had an idea for Viola at the time, that's why I chose her (Plus I was drawing her a bit at the time)

Yeah- localised! I'm hoping that finally bringing out an ace attorney game in english after that fiasco will bring back the fandom. I'd hate to see it die off. I love the games :<
ImageImageImageImage

Heat Guy J

Arkillian wrote:
Yeah- rendering does help shape the face a lot more :) I did a David Tennant picture a while ago that looked nothing like him till I rendered him a little. Harsh lines isn't something the eyes and mind is use to seeing, even on an aged person.

Yeah- I got only half the story of it right though I notice now XD This is what happens when I take a nap and re look at things. The rehash you did on the suit is much better, but I realise now what was bugging me about the arch his body makes. It wasn't the arch it's self like I thought it was, it's the positioning of the load bearing foot that bugged me.

Now, I'm just scribbling together a redline crit here so the body is going to be wrong but bear with me

See how I have a large dot on his head? That is approx where the body takes it's balance readings from (the location is somewhere between the ears, which ends up being the top of the neck around the Foramen magnum- the big hole in your head the spine goes to). I'm not sure of the exact location on your drawing as he's more bear than how I draw my men, so I'm not familiar.

Assuming that gravity goes straight down on this, you draw a line straight down from here. Now, I deliberated for a moment wondering if my crit was correct cause it's correct if he has a load bearing leg, but not if he evenly distributes the weight between two legs. His legs are wider apart in this, so I assume that one leg is getting more weight than the other. My crit isn't entirely accurate. Posemaniacs has a better render of the pose than I do, but the why of that pose is there. The evenly distributed version of the pose is this He could have either pose- up to you. Your pose is a combo of both of these poses though. In the even weight pose, the gravity line goes in the middle of the two legs. I don't know how accurate I am here (It was an after thought checking posemaniacs. Should've gone there first), but that's sadly my only crit for you, hon :( It's only pencil stage so there's not alot to say. I hope I helped :)

Thanks. I think that will be useful advice for posing characters just standing around. Oddly, I have no problems with the really dynamic poses with weird perspective issues, but when it comes to the more static ones, my brain hiccups on it and everything looks wrong. I blame that partly on not drawing the lower body as often as I draw the upper part, and just not doing enough of the characters just standing there. Weird, because I probably should have just been practicing static poses before moving onto the more dynamic ones. As for where his spine starts, I think you have it about right, although I'd be tempted to move it higher just a bit. But that's probably not a big deal, as I can see what you're getting at now. I still think the position you're suggesting looks better, and I always have trouble when I get to that part, probably because it doesn't look right right away (I have to refrain from editing too often...). So I went and changed it, and I think I like it better now.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/ ... a_WIP3.jpg

Quote:
Do take Gregory if you can :) I considered going after him, but I'd rather you drew him since aged men is your thing. I mean, Robert Hammond is older, but my version of him doesn't really have the same old feel your men do :) It's my art style. IT leans to middle aged men, not older than that men :) I did consider taking him. I would if you don't want him. There's alot of characters I'd like to draw. I had an idea for Viola at the time, that's why I chose her (Plus I was drawing her a bit at the time)

Ja, I tend to prefer drawing men that are middle aged or older. So long as they have some semblance of wrinkles on their faces, then it gets interesting. For this project, it's probably not an issue, considering a lot of the minor characters are around that age range, and a lot of other people wouldn't express an interest in drawing them. Except maybe Gant, I suppose.
Pauca sed matura.

Waiting on Godot...

It's funny that advanced poses come easier for you :) Do bookmark Posemaniacs for future mundane poses. They're not perfect for all situations, but for a pose like this it's perfect cause generic poses are what it's good for :) I know alot of people that do 'life drawing' from it (Gestures is a better word). IT's not my thing, but certainly it's great as a back up incase you're wanting a generic pose. The new version is so much better :D He even has a dynamic twist to his body that makes the pose less mundane. The posemaniacs pose is kind of slumpy which isn't the Von Karma way >.<

This is definitely a huge improvement though! I look forward to seeing the final version of this :3
ImageImageImageImage

Heat Guy J

Arkillian wrote:
It's funny that advanced poses come easier for you :) Do bookmark Posemaniacs for future mundane poses. They're not perfect for all situations, but for a pose like this it's perfect cause generic poses are what it's good for :) I know alot of people that do 'life drawing' from it (Gestures is a better word). IT's not my thing, but certainly it's great as a back up incase you're wanting a generic pose. The new version is so much better :D He even has a dynamic twist to his body that makes the pose less mundane. The posemaniacs pose is kind of slumpy which isn't the Von Karma way >.<

Oh, I have looked at Posemaniacs every now and then, but I find it's inadequate for some poses or angles. Not a bad reference though if you're just starting out and can't quite find the right reference picture. Those can be really hard to find. I tend to deviate much from references anyways. I usually only need them for one or two small parts, and they might not even be standing in the exact same pose; it's usually just an issue with the angle or perspective I might not be so familiar with.

Haha, so he isn't just standing there statically; I just didn't quite know how to draw him from that angle/perspective.

Quote:
This is definitely a huge improvement though! I look forward to seeing the final version of this :3

Thanks. I think I will post further updates in my thread, seeing as I'm fairly content with the way it is right now. If I get unhappy again (most likely when I get to the coloring part), I'll come back and post it here.
Pauca sed matura.

Waiting on Godot...

Sweet :) I doubt I'll see it back in this thread though ^^ That's fine by me though :D
ImageImageImageImage

Fancy a cuppa?

Spoiler: Chibi Ema

I'm currently working on learning to draw chibis. Far from being easier, as my friend strongly believes, I find them near impossible to get right! Does anyone have any tips on how to improve this? I relied heavily on a reference.
^Click for link!

Waiting on Godot...

Well, The idea of chibis is that they're super deformed anyways, so the basis of their design is pretty free style. The idea though with them is keeping a style theme that's constant all over them. If you make the arms long, the legs should be long. If you simplify the face heavily, so should the arms and legs be.

From the looks of your picture, you've got some details that you want to be accurate, so I'd suggest giving her jacket simple folds to show where it bends at the elbows and waist. Also, rather than vaguely drawing the leg + shoe, it'd be better to give it one smooth line and giving it details. Smooth lines and curves are best for chibis. They need to be simple. Some people complicate chibis which can work, but you have to be pretty familiar with human form to do that. I'd suggest simplifying as much as you can till then.

I don't know if that was any help but... ^^;
ImageImageImageImage

Fancy a cuppa?

That's lots of help, thanks! ^^
^Click for link!

smile

Hello! I am trying I work on more realistic portraits. And after I finish the shapes of the head, I don't know where to start or how to measure proportions on the face. So I was wondering how you do your portraits. Thanks! :pearl:
ImageImage
the sig was made by PandaPrinzessin
Bellossom avatar made by me
Husband: Marche Tobaye

Heat Guy J

I have a really horrible way of doing this, so take it with a grain of salt; it might not actually be useful.

I just block in the shapes, and then tweak them until they look the way I think they should look. But it rarely ever works out because I tend to change details, and things don't quite look the way they should (or the face ends up too big or too small), so I end up resizing the sketchy stuff.

If you want a better way of doing this, I'd suggest using references. Trying to get the proportions right from memory is just not a good way of doing it.
Pauca sed matura.

smile

I use reference photos, and then after I draw everything, I think it looks good but once I start doing details I notice problems. (Face too small, nose too long, etc.) or sometimes I keep drawing things off center. :udgy:
ImageImage

Waiting on Godot...

It's hard, I must admit. If you're copying 1:1 a face to pencil on paper, my life drawing classes gave me a great hint of how to lay out the face by comparing objects with other object. So like... comparing the angle and location of the nose with the eye etc... learning a few rules from how to books helps alot too. Also, a big help if you're drawing in graphite is to draw from a grey scale picture-not a colour one. It's easier to see everything. challenge yourself when you've learnt the ground basics. Dont' make it harder than it needs to be. You want to learn proportions? Focus on that. Not translating colour. That's my advice.

Oh- and getting good at realism takes practice, certainly on your own it will. The more effort you put into this stage of learning however, the faster you'll learn. Good luck! :)
ImageImageImageImage

smile

Thanks Arkillian! I haven't even tried with colors. And I have been taking art classes that teach all different styles of art. Thank you! :)
ImageImage

(bump)

I drew this picture of Maya a couple days ago. It was my first time drawing an Ace Attorney character. I feel that it is decent for my first time drawing the style, but I need tips on how to better draw the style, so I figured I'd post it here:

Spoiler:

Sorry for the crappy photo quality, it was taken with my laptop's webcam. If you need me to take a better photo, I'll gladly do so.

Spoiler:

State Alchemist

TheBeatlesPkmnFan42 wrote:
(bump)

I drew this picture of Maya a couple days ago. It was my first time drawing an Ace Attorney character. I feel that it is decent for my first time drawing the style, but I need tips on how to better draw the style, so I figured I'd post it here:

Spoiler:

Sorry for the crappy photo quality, it was taken with my laptop's webcam. If you need me to take a better photo, I'll gladly do so.

Wow! This is only your first time drawing an Ace Attorney character? This is really good!

Hmmm...I'm not much of an art critic to be honest, but I'll try my best. The only thing I could really give you advice for here relates to Maya specifically. Her eyes could be a little wider since she's supposed to be young, and her smile could be wider too since she's usually very perky and upbeat.

It's not much advice, but I hope it sort of helps. :garyuu:

EDIT: Oh! And I almost forgot, you forgot to put the two beads on the two longer strands of hair on both sides of her head.

Gnobo wrote:
Wow! This is only your first time drawing an Ace Attorney character? This is really good!

Hmmm...I'm not much of an art critic to be honest, but I'll try my best. The only thing I could really give you advice for here relates to Maya specifically. Her eyes could be a little wider since she's supposed to be young, and her smile could be wider too since she's usually very perky and upbeat.

It's not much advice, but I hope it sort of helps. :garyuu:

EDIT: Oh! And I almost forgot, you forgot to put the two beads on the two longer strands of hair on both sides of her head.

Ah, I don't see how I missed the beads. Thanks for letting me know! :maya:

Spoiler:

"Is it poisoned?"

Spoiler: Drawing of Ema and Trucy

Well...I drew this a while ago, but I want to see how you guys think I did. Anything regarding the art would be great, and in advance to the person who critiques this, thank you!

Green Garbed Attorney

Did these two drawings earlier, your opinion? Also, anyone want to give me some tips on drawing Kay's eyes?

Pardon my intrusion.

AppleCiderProsecutor wrote:

Well...I drew this a while ago, but I want to see how you guys think I did. Anything regarding the art would be great, and in advance to the person who critiques this, thank you!

Please don't take this as an insult, but what you are doing is symbol drawing. There is nothing that can be critiqued here.
Read this guide, and you'll learn exactly what to do.

heroicallyInclined wrote:
Did these two drawings earlier, your opinion? Also, anyone want to give me some tips on drawing Kay's eyes? (snip)

You go over your lines several times in the Godot drawing. Think before you line, and learn to draw with simple, confident strokes. I also recommend you read that guide.

For Kay's eyes, what do you think her skull looks like under her face?

(Since they're just headshots, can I recommend resizing them so they're not so big? There's no need for the extra detail. This might also be in your interest as well - click 'download' on the right.)
AAO general / C-R dead-ish / deviantart slowly filling

Glimmerous Fop

AppleCiderProsecutor wrote:

Hope you don't mind me also making a comment on this? I think it's really cute! :pearl:

What I would suggest though is that it looks like you're drawing the clothes without considering the body underneath. Try drawing the shapes of the naked body (no need to do detail, just barbie-doll or less is fine) and then think about how the clothes would fit on to them.

Running in the Shadows.

I really need a lot of help with animal anatomy. But I don't know where to start and what to do. Maybe somebody can help me? Some tips would be awesome. Maybe some books, guides, your personal experience...=3 Thanks!

ケーキたん(仮)

Darkella wrote:
I really need a lot of help with animal anatomy. But I don't know where to start and what to do. Maybe somebody can help me? Some tips would be awesome. Maybe some books, guides, your personal experience...=3 Thanks!

Hard to go wrong with Vilppu.
https://www.amazon.com/Vilppus-Animal-D ... 1892053128
Page 13 of 13 [ 510 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13

Board index » Present Evidence » Fanart