Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Wright & Co. Law Offices

Page 13 of 39[ 1554 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 39  Next

Re: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears?βTopic%20Title

DoMaya wrote:
You're telling me pepper spray isn't legal?

Also there are plenty of martial arts that can teach a person to defend themselves against bigger people.

It's illegal to carry pepper spray in public in France, yes. And it's outright illegal in the UK.

Yeah, but I think it's rather ridiculous to expect all women to learn a martial art instead of just making the way we think about gender less awful, no?

The Real Human Being

Haawke wrote:
DoMaya wrote:

Also there are plenty of martial arts that can teach a person to defend themselves against bigger people.

It's illegal to carry pepper spray in public in France, yes. And it's outright illegal in the UK.

Yeah, but I think it's rather ridiculous to expect all women to learn a martial art instead of just making the way we think about gender less awful, no?

That's why America is better

I'm making suggestions for women who feel unsafe.

Also, expecting the many to change for the benefit of the few isn't likely to happen.

The "Few" being women who refuse to have any means to defend themselves and insist on putting themselves in dangerous areas.

I have responses to every single thing posted here, but I'm tired and am not going to bother wasting energy.

I'm sorry that I ever opened my mouth on any of this. If you think I'm a vile misogynist that hates women, fine. I don't care. It isn't the truth at all and my views have been misinterpreted by everybody here, but think whatever you want. I don't care anymore.

My head hurts, my spirit is broken, and I'm fed up with everything. I don't need to continue this. Not because I can't defend myself, but because I have no will to write paragraphs of text that people will only further misunderstand. I don't need more people making me out to be some horrible person. I already have enough of that.

It seems that it doesn't matter what I do. People just end up not caring or hating me in the end. My words get twisted, my meaning distorted, and I only ruin things for everyone else. I'm sorry. For everyone's sake, just stop.

If you'll excuse me, I'm going to sit in the dark corner of my room wondering where my life went wrong.

The Real Human Being

TopHatProfessor1014 wrote:
I have responses to every single thing posted here, but I'm tired and am not going to bother wasting energy.

I'm sorry that I ever opened my mouth on any of this. If you think I'm a vile misogynist that hates women, fine. I don't care. It isn't the truth at all and my views have been misinterpreted by everybody here, but think whatever you want. I don't care anymore.

My head hurts, my spirit is broken, and I'm fed up with everything. I don't need to continue this. Not because I can't defend myself, but because I have no will to write paragraphs of text that people will only further misunderstand. I don't need more people making me out to be some horrible person. I already have enough of that.

It seems that it doesn't matter what I do. People just end up not caring or hating me in the end. My words get twisted, my meaning distorted, and I only ruin things for everyone else. I'm sorry. For everyone's sake, just stop.

If you'll excuse me, I'm going to sit in the dark corner of my room wondering where my life went wrong.

I didn't read anything you said before, not all discussions are about you.

Quote:
I didn't read anything you said before, not all discussions are about you.

But I started all of this. And every post here has escalated my misery even further. That's why I'm saying to stop.

Haawke wrote:
I mean, as a man I'll never have to fear people getting violent when I reject them

Uh.... you never rejected the "right"/wrong kind of woman then.

Quote:
Okay then, explain your point. Explain to me please, how women can prevent rape and that the onus is on them to do so.

Mace. Don't drink anything that you haven't ordered yourself, watched the barkeeper make all the time or was otherwise at any point left unattended. If a guy gets past your comfort zone of flirting, tell him to back off - if he doesn't, use the previously mentioned mace. Or use palm up his nasal cartilage.

Quote:
I don't see how people wanting to feel safe in the place they live at night is an outrageous demand, it seems like a perfectly desirable goal.

I don't think anyone's saying it's outrageous. The idea is just that it's next to impossible to get to a stage where you can 100% walk around unprotected - in any way - in a dark area or so, without something happening to you.

Quote:

That isn't a matter of making a gender less awful. This is like trying to suppress all kinds of natural, sexual desires or instincts. It's impossible to do that. Whether man or woman, the other can always get raped. It's impossible to stop that desire.

C-A

Gettin' Old!

Haawke wrote:
DoMaya wrote:

Actually...I might disagree...it's an ideal solution but an unrealistic one. We can't control the way the world things, we ourselves might be capable of it but it won't speak for everyone, there will always be outliers that make the world a more dangerous place.

I imagine the case for most men (and women) that they don't consider seriously consider sexual assault but for the ones that do I doubt will be particularly willing to change the way they think about gender, which is the problem.

I'd say it's more realistic to make certain self-defence classes part of school curriculum or free than expect us to be able to change the thoughts of everyone to the point where anywhere in the world is safe to walk down.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

CatMuto wrote:

Mace. Don't drink anything that you haven't ordered yourself, watched the barkeeper make all the time or was otherwise at any point left unattended. If a guy gets past your comfort zone of flirting, tell him to back off - if he doesn't, use the previously mentioned mace. Or use palm up his nasal cartilage.

As I just pointed out two or three posts up, owning mace or pepper spray is completely illegal in most countries. In fact, wikipedia tells me that Germany is an anomaly, in that it is legal. In any case, while promoting self-defence is a good thing, it's even better to try to prevent violence happening in the first place instead of just throwing our hands up and saying it's unfixable.

Quote:
That isn't a matter of making a gender less awful. This is like trying to suppress all kinds of natural, sexual desires or instincts. It's impossible to do that. Whether man or woman, the other can always get raped. It's impossible to stop that desire.

C-A

You misunderstood me here. I said that we should be aiming to fix the way in which we as humans think about gender. As in an alarming amount of men see women as prizes to be won, etc. Also if you think that rape is a natural sexual desire then that's incredibly creepy. It's a way of demonstrating power over someone and the person is completely in control of their own actions. I hope I misunderstood you.

@Pierre: But by telling women "oh you need to learn self-defence to not get raped", you're putting the responsibility on them. It could easily be understood by a victim as saying "if you didn't want to get raped you would have fought back". It's really far from an ideal solution and kind of seems like just giving up at the first hurdle. Not once in school were we ever educated on sexual assault, the myths and truths about rape or anything like that. I think education would go a long way here.

@TopHat: No one called you a misogynist did they? I legitimately thought you would find that article I posted interesting and educational.

Of course rape is more of a power game for the rapist and not all "just" for the satisfaction of sexual desire. But face it: people who actually are gonna rape are NOT gonna change how they think of somebody's gender or anything. We seriously can't do anything about that.

And I would think it better to say, "In any case, it's better to know how to defend yourself" and not saying "do this to prevent rape". Because knowing self defense is overall a good thing to do.

C-A

CatMuto wrote:
Of course rape is more of a power game for the rapist and not all "just" for the satisfaction of sexual desire. But face it: people who actually are gonna rape are NOT gonna change how they think of somebody's gender or anything. We seriously can't do anything about that.

And I would think it better to say, "In any case, it's better to know how to defend yourself" and not saying "do this to prevent rape". Because knowing self defense is overall a good thing to do.

C-A

But this is actually a misconception, and one of the fundamental myths of rape - people who are otherwise completely normal can commit rape. An overwhelming amount of rapes are people who don't understand the concept of consent, or don't understand that they're not entitled to other people's bodies. It reminds me of that ad campaign they ran in the UK, to inform teenagers about sexual abuse and how you can do it without even knowing it because of how toxic gender perception can be. I think a lot of things CAN be done about it. Education, etc. I mean no one's even trying yet.

I agree with you though, self-defence is a good thing for anyone to know. I just don't think that it's a solution. The average woman still won't be able to overpower the average man.

Gettin' Old!

@Haawke

The responsibility isn't on them isn't what I mean, it's on all of us. Yes it's a half measure but it'd be good exercise, also I didn't say it was specifically for women. I've heard of a fair few cases of sexual assaults on men by other men in the wrong parts of town. Besides it would be discriminatory to only offer free martial arts classes for women.

Yes we should strive to change the attitudes but I don't have the conviction to say for sure that we can change everyone's mind on the matter especially if there is genuine hatred for women in the attackers mind so while we should still campaign and increase awareness a little extra precaution can help.

DoMaya has a point and this isn't necessarily about sexual assault and women here, there are dangerous parts of every town and city that are probably best avoided at times. We don't live in the ideal world just yet and it's unlikely to happen for a while so increasing our own precautions is just a stopgap but it's at least something that could be done right now.

Also sadly I'll have to take the blame for hinting that Tophat was sounding a little misogynistic:

I wrote:
Regarding this incident, I don't mean to offend but only advise, you come across as slightly misogynistic here.

Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

The dwarf geeky panda!

Wow I'm amazed by how the topic turn out.

Haawke: I think Cat meant want to have sex with someone rather than wanting to rape someone. In that sense I agree that yes we should put more emphasis with restraint that need when the other party doen't want to.

Pierre: Here we tried to offered a lot of possibilities for women like that mini gadget that just imitate the scream of a women but with a much higher volume and frequence. The problem is some view it like a way to tell that women are weaker than men or that places are unsafes and they should "watch out" for certain situation, etc. I remember one of my friend called me a pussie because I didn't want to take a shortcut in a park (a big one with a mini forest and a lot of homeless people on drugs) at 1am instead of wating for a bus. Damn I know that sometime I worry about nothing but I think women should avoid situations with higher risk. I mean nobody likes to be told you can't/shouldn't/should do this, but it can be seen as a way to submit the women.

It's like the debate about muslim veils (or whatever the english name is for this tissue they wear on their head). Some thinks it's for submitting the women and the muslim says it's for protecting the women (by not showing her beauty).
Please don't hit me...

earthlings on fire

I actually came back here to escape all of the negativity I've been seeing online but it looks as though it's permeated here, too. But I suppose having discussions to correct false perceptions of feminism is a good thing. :gregory:

Well.

I've read the last few pages and unfortunately, I don't think people really understand what feminism is trying to do when they say "Why is it a women's issue? If women are truly equal then we need to fight equally for ALL GENDERS" or some argument like that.

This isn't my image but I think it gets the point across so we're gonna go with this:

Let's say men are the person on the left and women are the person in the middle or the right.

If you propose that we fight for equality in the same way for all genders, then you've got the picture on the left. Men and women do not start off with the same level of vision, so to speak, so their requirements to see the ballgame are not the same.

That isn't to say you don't help the men--feminism, despite what you believe, aims to help [both men and women] break gender stereotypes--we just can't assume that men and women need the same things to take everybody to an equal level. By saying "we don't need feminism we need HUMANISM!", you're proposing that we give everybody one box. But it's too simplistic and ignores the actual needs of different groups. That's why we need feminism. But it really helps men in the end. We DON'T want to keep men from having child custody, because that implies that men cannot be caretakers and women can only be caretakers. We DON'T want men to feel that they can't report abuse, because that implies that they can't be abused.

Don't silence feminism. It's not trying to block the man's view, it's trying to raise the woman up to the same level.

As for the topic of rape, it requires a serious shift in thinking that I had to go through, but the bottom line is that it is really two separate conversations. YES, we teach girls to be careful. But NOT when we are having a discussion on who is to blame. It is 100% the rapist's fault and to try and interject that with "But women should be careful!" is derailing the conversation and tastes like victim-blaming.
ImageImageImage
...and there's fifteen feet of pure white snow

Quote:
people who are otherwise completely normal can commit rape.

A person who rapes another is already unhinged. It's like people blaming an amok run on almost anything, except the hard truth: that the amok person must've already been unhinged somehow for them to even consider an amok run to be the answer to their problem.

C-A

Pierre wrote:
@Haawke

The responsibility isn't on them isn't what I mean, it's on all of us. Yes it's a half measure but it'd be good exercise, also I didn't say it was specifically for women. I've heard of a fair few cases of sexual assaults on men by other men in the wrong parts of town. Besides it would be discriminatory to only offer free martial arts classes for women.

Yes we should strive to change the attitudes but I don't have the conviction to say for sure that we can change everyone's mind on the matter especially if there is genuine hatred for women in the attackers mind so while we should still campaign and increase awareness a little extra precaution can help.

DoMaya has a point and this isn't necessarily about sexual assault and women here, there are dangerous parts of every town and city that are probably best avoided at times. We don't live in the ideal world just yet and it's unlikely to happen for a while so increasing our own precautions is just a stopgap but it's at least something that could be done right now.

Also sadly I'll have to take the blame for hinting that Tophat was sounding a little misogynistic:

I wrote:
Regarding this incident, I don't mean to offend but only advise, you come across as slightly misogynistic here.

I get you. I mean, at the end of the day, we're arguing the practical against the ideal. For now, in the world we live in, you're right, teaching people more about self-defence would help. And obviously there are always gonna be places to avoid.

My point is just that there's a huge lack of education about sexual assault. I mean, ask anyone about rape and they'll jump to the stranger in the street situation (I think I myself am guilty of this in this very thread really) when that's only like 9% percent of rapes. The rest are all committed in the home, or at work, by someone they know. As I said, there's a lack of education about consent in schools and this leads to all sorts of nasty situations because of the warped perceptions of gender that we show, as a society. And I think that it is fixable, and that it will start to be fixed as gender roles become less and less prevalent. And hatred of women comes from somewhere, and that somewhere is probably the aforementioned gender roles.

But you are right, in a pragmatic temporary sense, and you make a very good point.

Edit:
CatMuto wrote:
A person who rapes another is already unhinged. It's like people blaming an amok run on almost anything, except the hard truth: that the amok person must've already been unhinged somehow for them to even consider an amok run to be the answer to their problem.

Sorry, but you're wrong. Only a tiny portion (I remember reading 5 percent but I could be wrong, I need to look up the exact figures) of rapists are mentally ill.

Cravat of Doom, that was a really excellent post, lovely to read and made a lot of good points. In fact people should be listening to you and not me given that you clearly have a lot more insight on the matter :phoenix:

Last edited by Haawke on Thu May 29, 2014 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quote:
Damn I know that sometime I worry about nothing but I think women should avoid situations with higher risk.

Exactly. It's not a pussy thing to do, it's basica human survival instinct. Example, years ago, I wasn't in any danger of being raped or so - but I was sitting in the train, reading, this guy sits across from me and another next to me. The two guys seem to have bad vibes going on with each other and eventually the one next to me says something like he'll be sorry soon enough and slipped something a bit out of his jacket that looked like a blade. My instincts kicked in and I (non-chalantly) got up and left that seating area.
Needless to say, a few seconds later, those two started fighting - a third guy stopped them and basically told those two to sit far away from each other.

Quote:
My point is just that there's a huge lack of education about sexual assault.

Of course that isn't being educated. And of course everybody thinks it's always going to be the stranger who is gonna do things. Mostly because people don't realize - or more likely don't WANT to realize - that the main danger isn't from people they warn you about, but about the ones they DON'T warn you about. Majority of sexual abuse comes from family friends or similar. The people who you trust, the ones that the child is supposed to trust and the ones nobody thinks would EVER do such a thing, of course.

C-A

The dwarf geeky panda!

Craat of Doom: I think the main problem of feminism nowaday is that the wrong branch is getting to much attention. Like how many times did we heard a bunch of feminist blasting on how they are sexualize and stuff (not saying it's bad to put some attention to that). I don't know about your country but here we talk sometimes about how to interest girl in other career field. A study showed that women are more educated but still in the same jobs (nurse and teachers, noting they are not professors), only rarely women go to science like hardcore medicine or ingenery. Heck even in video games we have a HUGE step to do! Last time I went to a studio I can say that roughly 80% of the girls were in the translation and social department and there wans't many to begin with.

If you wondered what feminism bought to man, I know that they are militating for offering more neutral clothing for children, meaning shirts with few "cutie" writting/close to none with neutral color like yellow or orange for girls and no camo/ military/ "man" icons on boys clothes with a vast more choice color, like purple/ lavander. Just to show that your sex doesn't determine what you should wear, like and be.

Catmuto: Nah I'm a wuss andmy friend likes to mock me about it (in a funny way) because I lack confidence and will likely just submit to anything and I'm against the YOLO thingy (another thing that grind my gears) that says that you shouldn't stop because of your fears because life is so short (I don't want to make it short idiot!). I also have a trust issue, but that's another story.
Please don't hit me...

Zoinks

Re: Haawke vs. Cat: Uh, wow, it's not every day I see a man being more of a feminist than a woman. :lana:
3DS Friend Code: 5129-1407-0950

| -#courtrecords- | -Last.fm- | -Twitter- |

Yellow Magician wrote:
Re: Haawke vs. Cat: Uh, wow, it's not every day I see a man being more of a feminist than a woman. :lana:

Well nothing says a woman has to be a feminist or anything like that. Sure, it'd be cool to not have social stigmata whether you're a man or a woman, but I dunno, I can't be bothered to advocate it a ton. *shrug*

C-A

Zoinks

That's fair enough! It's just really weird seeing a man argue feminism with a woman, as if he has the right to hell her how to feel about her own issues.

If a "white male" told me I should feel oppressed because of my race I'd freaking slap him silly. :basil:

It's also really sad when I see "white males" cursing the fact that they were born a certain way. I shit you not, one of my friends tweeted something about living like a hermit so he wouldn't have to take advantage of "white male privilege". What the hell?

Cause white, middle-class men had SUCH PROBLEMS IN HISTORY and feel like they are forced to take advantage of "privileges" these days.

C-A

Zoinks

It's sad, though. I almost feel like being a "white male" in this day in age is difficult simply because if you screw up or if someone wrongs you, you can't find behind a "lack of privilege" as an excuse - whereas you or I could easily pin the blame on them and perhaps get away with it. Plus, at least on the internet, everyone hates "white males" these days. Yikes.

Personally, whenever I screw up (e.g. not get a job offer I wanted), I prefer to blame it on my own lack of incompetence versus someone else's physical traits.

Gettin' Old!

Yellow Magician wrote:
It's sad, though. I almost feel like being a "white male" in this day in age is difficult simply because if you screw up or if someone wrongs you, you can't find behind a "lack of privilege" as an excuse - whereas you or I could easily pin the blame on them and perhaps get away with it. Plus, at least on the internet, everyone hates "white males" these days. Yikes.

Personally, whenever I screw up (e.g. not get a job offer I wanted), I prefer to blame it on my own lack of incompetence versus someone else's physical traits.

I don't like the term 'privilege' for as much as it actually ISN'T it kinda works out as a bias against you from the day you were born. You have no control over it, you most certainly don't deserve it but later on in life you'll find your suffering throughout life is negated by the fact that you 'had it easier' compared to others.

I can understand some people being blatantly ignorant to the point where such 'privilege' shouldn't protect them (like that rich 'affluenza' kid who hit people with his car while drunk) but suffering is subjective and in the "white male" comparisons it bothers me. I don't feel I should be guilty or less relevant because of the way I was born.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Yellow Magician wrote:
That's fair enough! It's just really weird seeing a man argue feminism with a woman, as if he has the right to hell her how to feel about her own issues.

But I wasn't telling CatMuto how to feel about her own issues in the slightest, just correcting some misconceptions. In fact I barely argued with her. And who says a dude can't be more feminist than a woman? I read up on the issues and while I don't think my opinion is as valid as a female feminist, I can still stand up for what I believe.

Also nah, being a white dude isn't difficult in the slightest. People on the Internet run way too far with the concept of privilege, I agree. I mean, just look at tumblr, haha. That doesn't make the actual academic concept any less valid.

Quote:

Really, cause when I don't a job I want (one that I'm clearly qualified for, if not overqualified) I blame it on the damn Employer. Almost pity them, cause they lost a good worker by refusing me. (Yeah you may call this an undeserved superiority complex, but hey, if I know how to work a cash register and sell things better than someone else, I fail to see the point in hiring THEM instead of ME)

As for the "privilege" stuff, I don't care about it. I see no point in giving anyone a better treatment over almost anything. A black getting a scholarship just cause he's black? Yeah, I see no point in doing that. Now, if the black person has better grades and all, yeah sure, they totally deserve that scholarship. But getting a privilege just cause someone has a certain skincolor, gender or mental/physical handicap is kind of stupid in my eyes.

Then again, I'm a white woman, what do I know?

C-A

In Justice We Trust

Every time I see someone complaining about the "difficulties" of being a white man, I can't help but cringe. Luke McKinney did a good job of explaining why I react in such a way. Some of Bioware's people have also opened fire on this kind of attitude a few times.
I'll always love you, Max.

The Real Human Being

Spoiler: NSFW

Some of those make no sense. Okay, with the Asian woman I MIGHT get the idea of her breaking out of the (rather old) stereotype idea of them taking whatever happens, being demure and all. But a husband having affairs is not domestic violence. (If there's proof that she got hit, yes, that's domestic violence)
Come on, Ladies, don't mix things up.

Spoiler: THIS is Domestic Violence (Potentially disturbing manga page)

C-A

You're trolling, right DoMaya? Because it takes two seconds on google to find the actual stories behind these awful images.

First one: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/la ... 5899029134
Isn't it crazy that you have to ask for consent before sex? Damn women, not always being sexually available for me! *shakes fist*

Second one: All the Supreme Court did was make it so that you could ask for new council housing away from a partner threatening violence. http://www.familylaw.co.uk/news_and_com ... 4jq7fmSzz4

Third one: She wasn't acquitted, she was convicted and sentenced to life in prison. It took numerous appeals until she was actually listened to and all the facts were brought to light. Also she was absolutely horrifically abused: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2007/a ... er.ukcrime

Fourth one: Yes, you can be arrested and tried for crimes that took place years ago. Look at Rolf Harris finally getting what he deserved. In any case, the allegations against Alan Lewis have been dropped: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-25057104

Fifth one: Oh look a picture of an extremist radfem, this totally discounts the entire movement. Also no one thinks like this, this is a complete straw man.

Sixth one: This study shows that the actual figure is 2 percent http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 349090026P and that in 50 percent of those cases, the abuse is real, in 33% it's false and 17% indeterminate. Also google brings up nothing for this Siegfried Willutski person so I don't think he's real.

Seventh one: didn't I debunk this yesterday? And you insisted you weren't making a comment about clothing?

The Real Human Being

Haawke wrote:
You're trolling, right DoMaya? Because it takes two seconds on google to find the actual stories behind these awful images.

First one: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/la ... 5899029134
Isn't it crazy that you have to ask for consent before sex? Damn women, not always being sexually available for me! *shakes fist*

Second one: All the Supreme Court did was make it so that you could ask for new council housing away from a partner threatening violence. http://www.familylaw.co.uk/news_and_com ... 4jq7fmSzz4

Third one: She wasn't acquitted, she was convicted and sentenced to life in prison. It took numerous appeals until she was actually listened to and all the facts were brought to light. Also she was absolutely horrifically abused: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2007/a ... er.ukcrime

Fourth one: Yes, you can be arrested and tried for crimes that took place years ago. Look at Rolf Harris finally getting what he deserved. In any case, the allegations against Alan Lewis have been dropped: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-25057104

Fifth one: Oh look a picture of an extremist radfem, this totally discounts the entire movement. Also no one thinks like this, this is a complete straw man.

Sixth one: This study shows that the actual figure is 2 percent http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 349090026P and that in 50 percent of those cases, the abuse is real, in 33% it's false and 17% indeterminate. Also google brings up nothing for this Siegfried Willutski person so I don't think he's real.

Seventh one: didn't I debunk this yesterday? And you insisted you weren't making a comment about clothing?

I had sources for the information if you bothered to click the images.

You've got sources for some of them, most of which disprove what's being said in the images. Is that your point? A dude was sentenced for a rape, oh no feminism? I don't get it at all.

Also it doesn't change that the ones you haven't got sources for are also wrong.

Gettin' Old!

I'd like you to be a bit more careful in what you say Haawke. We should aim to avoid a 'witch hunt' mentality. Rolf Harris isn't convicted yet and while I don't follow the trials a man is innocent until proven guilty in British law. Harris isn't getting anything he 'deserved' not yet.

There's an argument to be made that in light of the recent BBC witch hunt into it's old entertainers previous people might be coming forth with allegations in order to take a cut of his wealth.

It's also perfectly plausible it's all true but until a court decides his innocence or guilt we treat him fairly.

As for DoMaya's examples I'm going to trust the majority of women are not as bad as his examples imply. Though frankly I'm surprised at the ease of which the first case would be accepted. Surely his word would counteract her word, there's no other witnesses to suggest otherwise. The case should be inconclusive.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

I'm never sure what to think about a sudden claim that the sex was without consent - especially if it was a day full of sex and then, suddenly, one of all those "rounds" is lacking consent. Now, I'm not saying that this can't happen, it is likely that even after a few rounds, you're just exhausted or overall don't feel like it.

But part of me would wonder, were there defensive wounds or any kind of wounds on the guy? (other than potential love scratches) cause I'm pretty sure that a man's shower would have just as many potential weapons/defense-items as a woman's or a hotel's. The least one could do is smack someone with the shower head if words don't work.

I'm not saying "No defense wounds = no rape" but I would think some attempt would be made to injure the guy to get him off. (Or the woman if she was the one doing the rape and all, whatever)

C-A

Gettin' Old!

CatMuto wrote:
I'm never sure what to think about a sudden claim that the sex was without consent - especially if it was a day full of sex and then, suddenly, one of all those "rounds" is lacking consent. Now, I'm not saying that this can't happen, it is likely that even after a few rounds, you're just exhausted or overall don't feel like it.

But part of me would wonder, were there defensive wounds or any kind of wounds on the guy? (other than potential love scratches) cause I'm pretty sure that a man's shower would have just as many potential weapons/defense-items as a woman's or a hotel's. The least one could do is smack someone with the shower head if words don't work.

I'm not saying "No defense wounds = no rape" but I would think some attempt would be made to injure the guy to get him off. (Or the woman if she was the one doing the rape and all, whatever)

C-A

Kind of exactly what I'm thinking.

If all you have is her word, surely more evidence is necessary to justify a 3 year prison sentence. There might not be any in which case it'd be inconclusive.

By the logic there is it's plausible to say the man could just have easily claimed he was in the shower first and raped. It's not like there's going to be any evidence to indicate otherwise.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

That's unfortunately why rape cases go unsolved. It's usually his word against hers many times. And all too frequently, it's the man who gets sent to jail. Why is that people can't accept the fact that men get raped too or that women simply lie? I'm not saying it happens all the time, but the fact that it DOES happen anyway should be considered. And even if men are declared innocent, they still carry that stigma with them. This is something that destroys people's lives. As for that case, I think it was unfairly handled due to reasons already said.

But are you people seriously still talking about all this? Goddammit, I regret ever responding to that post on feminism. I should have just kept my mouth shut and not started this discussion. That's just me though. Ruining everything for everyone else. What else is new.

Anyways, let's see what's happened to me the past week. I was compared to being as bad as Elliot Rodgers twice. Cried my eyes out nearly every day due to the sheer grief. Failed my last math test that I needed to pass in order to advance my grade. "Celebrated" six weeks since my girlfriend left. Was yelled at by her when I offered her a ride home. Treated nice by her one day, only to be rebuffed again the next day. Spent hours into the night unable to sleep. Haven't had any time to exercise. Still jobless. No one has called back. Have no promising prospects in the summer. Completely friendless. Uncared for. No one talks to me unless they want something. Gets stepped on when I offer help. Is viewed as a jerk and selfish when I try looking out for myself more. My younger brother gets to go on paid violin gigs after being offered by the orchestra director. I get ignored, despite the fact that I've been at the school longer and was never given any of those opportunities. And now my own mother is angry at me because I can no longer force myself to smile for her.

So in short, fan-fucking-tastic. Just another week for me.

Gettin' Old!

That's unfortunately why rape cases go unsolved. It's usually his word against hers many times. And all too frequently, it's the man who gets sent to jail. Why is that people can't accept the fact that men get raped too or that women simply lie? I'm not saying it happens all the time, but the fact that it DOES happen anyway should be considered. And even if men are declared innocent, they still carry that stigma with them. This is something that destroys people's lives. As for that case, I think it was unfairly handled due to reasons already said.

But are you people seriously still talking about all this? Goddammit, I regret ever responding to that post on feminism. I should have just kept my mouth shut and not started this discussion. That's just me though. Ruining everything for everyone else. What else is new. .

What's wrong with discussing stuff like this? It's not bringing everyone down and it's an important issue these days. It's not like you to shy away from important discussion about contemporary topics.

I'm glad it's come up, there's been some enlightening things said. I never said it at the time but thanks Cravat of Doom, your discussion on Equity Vs Equality with the box metaphor made me watch my own arguments better.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Quote:

What's wrong with discussing stuff like this? It's not bringing everyone down and it's an important issue these days. It's not like you to shy away from important discussion about contemporary topics.

I'm glad it's come up, there's been some enlightening things said. I never said it at the time but thanks Cravat of Doom, your discussion on Equity Vs Equality with the box metaphor made me watch my own arguments better.

Because I don't feel as if the discussion is going anywhere. But if you want to talk about it, do as you like. As for "bringing everyone down," sorry that discussing my life is so depressing. It's not my fault that things are this way. I can't control what happens. You saw what I wrote. All of this happens to me every single day. Of course my life is depressing. It brings ME down, and I'm lower than I've ever been before. So forgive me if I can't be all sunshine and rainbows.

Gettin' Old!

Quote:

Because I don't feel as if the discussion is going anywhere. But if you want to talk about it, do as you like. As for "bringing everyone down," sorry that discussing my life is so depressing. It's not my fault that things are this way. I can't control what happens. You saw what I wrote. All of this happens to me every single day. Of course my life is depressing. It brings ME down, and I'm lower than I've ever been before. So forgive me if I can't be all sunshine and rainbows.

Hold up Tophat, I wasn't saying a thing about your life, I was saying the discussion on sexism and feminism 'wasn't bringing anyone down' I never insinuated anything about your problems "bringing everyone down" as you indicated. Just wanted to clarify so you didn't take it as an insult.

Though you might have a point about this discussion going nowhere but hey it's not like we're in a position of power to change much officially but we can only do what we can with our limited power and if that happens on an individual level by changing or refining people's thoughts on a subject then so be it. There's no harm in it.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Do you see the black one...or the white?

I personally have nothing to contribute to the topic at hand, but I want to say this. Even if the discussion is going nowhere, I appreciate debates like this. When I can learn something new about a topic at hand instead of having an opinion forced down my throat, no matter if I agree or not, I like learning something new about what that side is presenting. Even though the topic has gotten heated at points, I appreciate that overall it has been kept civil and people have kept it on topic instead of retorting with slander because of disagreements. To me, that's what makes a good debate.
On April 3, 2016, Court Records Forums experienced a miracle upon that day.
CatMuto wrote:
Pierre wrote:
Man...that looks dull...this actually makes me worried for KH3 (since that team worked on the battle system)

I feel the same

In Justice We Trust

You know what really grinds my gears? All the "freedom" this and "democracy" that that people throw around in political discussions. People say they're in favor of freedom as though it means something. Of course you're going to call yourself pro-freedom. What kind of imbecile would claim to be against freedom in this country? Unless you're an anarchist--specifically, the kind of anarchist who expects everyone to play nice of his/her own free will, you're going to want some freedoms to hold priority over others. Which freedoms do you support and to what extent? Do you think the freedom to do X should trump the freedom to do Y when the two conflict? Stop saying you support freedom; it tells me nothing. You sound like a politician running for office, and not in a good way.
I'll always love you, Max.
Page 13 of 39 [ 1554 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 39  Next

Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Wright & Co. Law Offices