Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Wright & Co. Law Offices

Page 17 of 24[ 924 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 24  Next

Re: Riddles, puzzles and other general tricksTopic%20Title

Why HER!? Why HERE!? Why NOW!?

Yes, that is it XD it's very simple, I know...

... mh, I saw some puzzles like yours but I think they don't fit good... in those, the second person from the end of the line should talk, but they were just four and one is on the other side of a wall... and they know how many black and white hats there are. Duh.

Little puzzle: let's think that Mia and Diego have a son (yay)! Now Mia is 21 years older than her son, and in 6 years her son will be 5 times younger than her. The question is... where is Diego? Yes, not how old is he, but WHERE is he.

But your hair is such a tragedy to draw, dear Mr. I-created-Stigma.

Writing, drawing, singing, flashing, playing, for you. Stay lawed ♪.

Ooh, a real drumroll. Nice.

KyrieNobody wrote:

... mh, I saw some puzzles like yours but I think they don't fit good... in those, the second person from the end of the line should talk, but they were just four and one is on the other side of a wall... and they know how many black and white hats there are. Duh.

Little puzzle: let's think that Mia and Diego have a son (yay)! Now Mia is 21 years older than her son, and in 6 years her son will be 5 times younger than her. The question is... where is Diego? Yes, not how old is he, but WHERE is he.

in CERN turning on the hadron collider and creating a wormhole that distorts the very laws of time and space :sawit:

Hahex wrote:
KyrieNobody wrote:

in CERN turning on the hadron collider and creating a wormhole that distorts the very laws of time and space :sawit:

What? The answer is simpler than this... and cooler. :godot:

Captain Ascot and the Survey Corps!

KyrieNobody wrote:
Hahex wrote:
KyrieNobody wrote:

What? The answer is simpler than this... and cooler. :godot:

Wherever he is, he's drinking cups of coffee, and shooting laser beams from his eyes :godot:

The one and only

Spoiler: Answer
He is in Mia, of course.

1000% Knight

KyrieNobody wrote:

If the guys could talk that would kinda defeat the purpose xD

Spoiler: hint
The fact that there are 10 people is not important.

Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

Consider this puzzle solved.

Umm... have the last person say the color of the hat in front of him, and then everyone repeats that color until someone is shot, and then they say the other color?
Say, that reminds me of a puzzle! Have you ever heard this one, Luke?

1000% Knight

What if it's BWBWBW... Everyone will say the color of the hat in front of him, and everyone will be shot.

Bad Player wrote:
What if it's BWBWBW... Everyone will say the color of the hat in front of him, and everyone will be shot.

No, not quite. If it's BWBWBWBWBW, the last guy will say "white" and be shot. The second guy will say "white" and not be shot. The third guy will say "white" and be shot, and this will be repeated until everyone else is shot, so one person will survive. Although, it doesn't make that much of a difference... :yuusaku:

1000% Knight

So you can save about half. Amazing. But not good enough.

The person in the back can see which color there is more of, black or white. Now, the next guy, if he sees five or more of the color the person in the back said, he says the other color. If he sees four or less, he says the color the person in the back said. Now, depending on the color the second person said, the third person can figure out his own color. For example, if the second guy says "black", and the first guy also said "black", then if he sees four or more black hats, he says white. If he sees three or less black hats, he says black. Repeat this and you're guaranteed to have at least nine of the people survive.

1000% Knight

Nope. WBBBBBBBBB. First guy would say black (and die). Second guy would see 8 blacks, which is more than 5 and the color the first guy said, and thus would say white. And would die. Meaning no more than 8 would survive.

However, you are very close.

Breaking hiatus.

I think I got it... but let me ask three questions;

1. Are both colors present at any given formation of the sequence? Or can an instance happen that they are all the same color?

2. Is the solution guaranteed 100% for all prisoners, or 100% for most?

3. During the time they converse, do they have the hats on or off?

1000% Knight

1. It can be any combination of any number of black or white hats. It can be all black, all white, or anywhere in between.
2. It's impossible to guarantee the first person, as no one can see his hat. However, it is possible to guarantee the other nine guys.
3. They do not have hats on during strategy-time. They only get their hats on once they are in the line. (If they had their hats on during strategy time, they could (1) tell each other their hats, and (2) see everyone else's hats, not the just the hats of the people in front of them.)

Also, since you guys are almost there, another riddle:
This time the lunatic only has 3 guys. He puts them in a line, so the third guy can see the first and second, the second guy can see the first, and the first guy can't see anyone. The lunatic has 3 black hats and 2 white hats (the guys know this). He puts one hat on each man, without any man seeing his hat. If one of the men raises his hand and says the color hat he is wearing, they are all let go. Otherwise, the lunatic kills them all. They are not allowed to do anything else until someone guesses the color of his hat. After a few minutes, the first man raises his hand and says his hat color. What was his hat color, and how did he know it?

EDIT: Ooh, my 3456th post :)

Mipeltaja = the real badass

Location: That one place. No, not that place, the other place.

Bad Player wrote:
A crazy lunatic has abducted 10 people. He has them stand in a line, with each person facing the preceding person's back. On each person he puts either a white or black hat. He goes from the last person to the first person, and asks each person what color hat he is wearing. If the person says the correct color, he is let free, otherwise he is immediately shot. Devise a strategy to save the greatest number of people.

Notes:
-The 10 people can communicate beforehand and know exactly what the lunatic will do, and thus can come up with a group strategy. (As an individual strategy can't really do anything xD)
-Each person can see the color of the hats of every person before him. So the last person can see every hat except his own, and the first person can't see any hats. Person 7 can see the hat of person 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6, but not the hat of 7, 8, 9, or 10.
-The people are not allowed to do anything except say "white" or "black" while on line, and only when it is their turn. If anyone does anything else, they all are killed.
-Everyone in line can hear what the other players say about their hat color, and whether they are shot.

Person 10 says beforehand that he will say "black" if he sees an even number of black hats, or "white" if he sees an odd number of black hats. Assuming the color of the hats is random, he has a 50-50 shot at living.

Person 9 hears what Person 10 says and looks at the hats in front of him.
-If he knows that there is an even number of black hats but sees an odd number of black hats, or if he knows there is an odd number of black hats but sees an even number of black hats, he knows he has a black hat.
-If he knows that there is an even number of black hats and sees an even number of black hats, or if he knows that there is an odd number of black hats and sees an odd number of black hats, he knows he has a white hat.

If Person 9 follows the rules, he will always get his hat color right. So Person 8 knows Person 9's hat color, the color of all the hats in front of him, and whether there is an odd or even number of black hats. With this information, he can deduce the color of his own hat, and so on down the line.

Person 10 is not guaranteed to live, but everyone else is, no matter what the hat situation is.
Billie Jean is not my lover.

Last edited by Icarus on Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Breaking hiatus.

During the meeting they devised a strategy, where each black hat will represent '1' and 'odd', and every white will represent '2' and 'even'. Now, when they are all lined up, the last person will tally up each hat color according to the worth (1 and 2). If the answer he gets is odd, he will will say 'black', and 'even' with 'white', to let every person in front of him know what the total of the 9 hats equals. Let us say 10 was right, and he responded black. That means everyone's hats, including 9's, equaled and odd number. Therefore, 9 calculates the hats in front of him. Should it be an even number, his hat must then be black for 10 to be right of his response of 'odd'. Should it be an odd number, his hat must be white. This pattern will carry on all the way down the line with a result of:

50% 9 saved
50% 10 saved.

Bad Player wrote:
Also, since you guys are almost there, another riddle:
This time the lunatic only has 3 guys. He puts them in a line, so the third guy can see the first and second, the second guy can see the first, and the first guy can't see anyone. The lunatic has 3 black hats and 2 white hats (the guys know this). He puts one hat on each man, without any man seeing his hat. If one of the men raises his hand and says the color hat he is wearing, they are all let go. Otherwise, the lunatic kills them all. They are not allowed to do anything else until someone guesses the color of his hat. After a few minutes, the first man raises his hand and says his hat color. What was his hat color, and how did he know it?

EDIT: Ooh, my 3456th post :)

The first man's hat is black.

If the third man saw two white hats, he would know his own hat was black. Obviously, he saw either two black hats, or a white hat and a black hat.

Assuming the second man is a good logician, he would deduce from the third man's silence the possible colors of the first two hats. If the second man saw a white hat, he would know his own hat was black. Therefore, he must have seen a black hat.

And after neither the third man or the second man spoke up, that's how the first man knew the color of his hat.

Breaking hiatus.

:yuusaku: I'm slightly jealous of your speed on answering these questions... as soon as I get it... you then have already found it.

Ahh...Coffee...

I found a riddle:

"A woman is about to be executed. Since she has been a good citizen most of her life, the executioner gives her the option of choosing by which way she can die, no matter how bizarre, time-consuming, or costly it is. What manner of death should she choose, or will it not make a difference?"
Click my sig to see my YouTube channel! AA music is found here!
CarChaseCityMan and Arkillian's son, Franzika Von ehmpke5 ,Lida_Rose and angel_of_nature's brother.
"If you don't have any shadows, then you're not standing in the light."

Meenyman wrote:
I found a riddle:

"A woman is about to be executed. Since she has been a good citizen most of her life, the executioner gives her the option of choosing by which way she can die, no matter how bizarre, time-consuming, or costly it is. What manner of death should she choose, or will it not make a difference?"

Death by natural causes.

Here's a riddle: What is half of two plus two?

Breaking hiatus.

Half of 'two plus two' : 1/2 (2+2) = 2
Half of two, plus two : ((1/2)2) + 2 = 3

The master of Judging 64

two pl
or
us two

Meenyman wrote:
I found a riddle:

Death by being buried in money in an unlocked room.

Mask*DeMasque wrote:
Meenyman wrote:
I found a riddle:

Death by natural causes.
Everyone should die, somehow...

Quote:
Spoiler: Answer by Tacas
He is in Mia, of course.
Oh, yes, he IS!
Spoiler:
They're making the baby! YAY!

About the simplified Bad Player's puzzle: if the third person sees two hats of the same colour, he says the opposite colour, if he doesn't speak that would mean that he sees two hats of different colour, so the second person says his own colour, meaning the opposite colour of the guy in front of him.

Oh, yes: an explorator is imprisoned and is going to be immolated by a tribe. This tribe has two altars and two gods, Lie and Truth: they kill the liars of the altar of Lie and the trustful ones on the altar of Truth. They see if a man is a liar or not by a simple sentence... how can the explorator survive, with that simple sentence?

Breaking hiatus.

"I will die at the altar of Lie."

If that is to be true, then he is sent to the altar of truth, but for it to be true, he bust be killed at the altar of Lie, which the only way is by lying. So, by not being able to decide which altar he will be killed at, he is then let go.

"Sir, I bear a rhyme excelling
In mystic force and magic spelling
Celestial sprites elucidate
All my own striving can't relate, no?"

((If you do not see the riddle, then you are close to the answer.))

Last edited by LordWolfODonnell on Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

LordWolfODonnell wrote:
"I will die at the altar of Lie."

If that is to be true, then he is sent to the altar of truth, but for it to be true, he bust be killed at the altar of Lie, which the only way is by lying. So, by not being able to decide which altar he will be killed at, he is then let go.

((If you do not see the riddle, then your are close to the answer.))

To my puzzle: yes, it is! I should look for more complicated ones...

To yours: the answer is... the riddle itself? I mean, it's a riddle abour riddles, that are usually rhymed, hides a "magic" spelling puzzle and can be understood by intelligent (celestial) people, and sometimes the answer seems not related to the question?

Or am I far away from the answer?

Breaking hiatus.

KyrieNobody wrote:
To yours: the answer is... the riddle itself? I mean, it's a riddle abour riddles, that are usually rhymed, hides a "magic" spelling puzzle and can be understood by intelligent (celestial) people, and sometimes the answer seems not related to the question?

Or am I far away from the answer

You aren't even in the same zip code... Sorry.

LordWolfODonnell wrote:
KyrieNobody wrote:

Or am I far away from the answer?

You aren't even in the same zip code... Sorry.
Ffff.
Quote:
So that means that I'm very near to the right answer? XD

Breaking hiatus.

Yep. Cluelessness is key to figuring out this riddle.

The master of Judging 64

I have no freaken clue but

There no rhyme in In mystic force?

LordWolfODonnell wrote:

Is the "your are close" bad grammar part of the riddle or just an honest mistake?

also, no doesn't rhyme with elucidate, wat da fuk?

Breaking hiatus.

Honest mistake, and the 'no' is a passive verse. "no?" Is the fragment of the last line. Move it down a stanza, and it will still work out.

Till the landslide brought me down...

What weighs more, a kg of gold or feathers?
• °♦ ♥ ♦° .*•. ♫~.•* • °♦ ♥ ♦° .*•. ♫~.•*• °♦ ♥ ♦°

Breaking hiatus.

Neither; they are both a kg.

Ahh...Coffee...

Icarus wrote:
Meenyman wrote:
I found a riddle:

Aww, nobody got the right answer. The answer was dying of old age!
Click my sig to see my YouTube channel! AA music is found here!
CarChaseCityMan and Arkillian's son, Franzika Von ehmpke5 ,Lida_Rose and angel_of_nature's brother.
"If you don't have any shadows, then you're not standing in the light."

Meenyman wrote:
Icarus wrote:
Meenyman wrote:
I found a riddle:

Old age IS a natural cause of death.
Mask*DeMasque wrote:
Death by natural causes.

Gettin' Old!

Meenyman wrote:
Icarus wrote:
Meenyman wrote:
I found a riddle:

I also think Icarus' answer was wonderful
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

:)

Icarus' version is better.

SMASHING DAY FOR A BARBEQUE.

*REVIVES THREAD*

a-hem...anyway, a riddle to get this one going again!

1. What can go up a chimney down, and down a chimney down. But it can't go down a chimney up, or up a chimney up.
This one took me a while to figure out

Till the landslide brought me down...

Romeo wrote:
*REVIVES THREAD*

a-hem...anyway, a riddle to get this one going again!

1. What can go up a chimney down, and down a chimney down. But it can't go down a chimney up, or up a chimney up.
This one took me a while to figure out

Santa?
• °♦ ♥ ♦° .*•. ♫~.•* • °♦ ♥ ♦° .*•. ♫~.•*• °♦ ♥ ♦°
Page 17 of 24 [ 924 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 24  Next

Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Wright & Co. Law Offices