Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 23  Next

Re: Let's Talk About The New School YearTopic%20Title

1000% Knight

It's... a rewrite of the Odyssey.

Wow.

That sucks. :sadshoe:
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

Reminds me of when they made us read "dumbed down" versions of Frankenstein, Hamlet and McBeth when I was in Grade 11 (third year of high school, junior year).

1000% Knight

nekonohime wrote:
Reminds me of when they made us read "dumbed down" versions of Frankenstein, Hamlet and McBeth when I was in Grade 11 (third year of high school, junior year).

We read McBeth in 9th grade and Frankenstein in 11th grade .__. (And they had a whole Shakespeare elective)

Yeah, our reading selections in high school were odd.

In 9th grade the only things I remember reading were The Goddess, Romeo & Juliet and To Kill A Mockingbird.

10 grade we read mostly American Literature stuff. I mostly remember The Scarlett Letter.

11th grade was McBeth, Frankenstein, The Canterbury Tales, the King Arthur stories, some stuff from Edgar Allen Poe and Lord Of The Flies.

12th Grade was Hamlet, The Things They Carried, The Epic Of Gilgamesh and a bunch of religious stuff.

Now that I'm an English major in college... I'm probably going to end up reading all of this stuff again.

tastes like new reed

Wow. That's funny. I'm reading The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien. I was gonna read The Scarlett Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne next. Both books are on my bookshelf for some reason. We also have Othello and about 2 other Shakespeare's stories. Odd... :yogi:

1000% Knight

Going out and seeing a play for free with front+center (as in first row) was fun but I really should've been studying.

Oh well, it was The Iliad (or technically, "An Iliad") so it was worth it <3

@neko: Well in 9th and 10th grade you took English 9/10, then in 11th and 12th grade you took an English elective each semester, and almost all of those books were read in English 9/10 or one of the electives

nekonohime wrote:
Yeah, our reading selections in high school were odd.

I had some pretty...different selections as well.

Let's see, for my English classes in high school, freshman year I had to read Hiroshima, Romeo and Juliet, Animal Farm, The Odyssey, and The Giver. All were really good except for The Odyssey. I mean, the story itself was good and interesting, but I really didn't like the dialogue. Speech after speech after speech, although that's what Greek epics were about. Big heroic speeches and shit.

Sophomore year, I read a bunch of crap I didn't like except for You Don't Know Me. I don't remember any of the other books and stories because they were just that forgettable.

During my junior year, I had to read Of Mice and Men, Ender's Game, The Color Purple, and The Crucible. All were really good except for Ender's Game. I could not get into that story.

And then for my senior year, this is where it gets interesting: A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (yes, we had to read that. Why?? I have no clue.), Beowulf, Canterbury Tales, Macbeth, and Anthem by Ayn Rand. All were good, but I didn't really read A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

My childhood right here

I love my format for writing essays. I usually avoid actually answering the question (and almost always get full credit) and basically write one sentence over and over for my introduction paragraph. Then, I stall. I explain what my "First, X happened." meant. Then, I avoid the question some more by explaining even more. Same thing for the rest of my paragraphs. Then, I do my conclusion. "Clearly, X wouldn't have happened without Y." or something like that. My sixth grade Social Studies teacher told my class that "Clearly, X" was the best way to start a conclusion. So I've done that for every single essay.
@filipinoamerican I don't know how she managed to mess that up. I actually got, like, a 97. But it was like, "LOLWUTDYAMEAN" when I got this back.

I had a pretty sweet day in school. For AP Chem, we did a super-easy lab where you had to test the conductivity of different solutions with some computer program. After that, the two guys in my class had a mineral water drinking contest, which wound up being hilarious, and then the entire class snuck into our old chem teacher's room and waited for him to get back from whatever he was doing. We called it 'trick-or-treating', and he actually gave us all candy. Haha.

1000% Knight

Had my Japanese midterm today, and I get to go home tomorrow~

I'm glad I realized when I was checking my work that "I get up at 6:30AM" make more sense than "I go to school at 6:30AM" xD (It was a dictation thing, and the word for "to wake up" is okimasu and the word for "to go" is ikimasu so...)

I also realized I might have forgotten to put in the particle -ni in one question!!!!!! D: ....I hope I didn't :x (cuz otherwise I'll have nanji in there all by its lonesome self...)

Also, right after seeing An Iliad yesterday for free, I got an e-mail about free tickets to a concert, so I'm seeing that next Sunday! Yay!

EDIT: Oh, and I just found out my Japanese final is going to be from 7:30 to 10:30.... PM T_T よくありません!!!

Night classes really suck. That's why I always avoid getting them. The earliest I would go to school is at 11:00 AM. I like my sleep XD

1000% Knight

Well, the class is usually at 3:30PM. It's just that our final is at night, apparently... *sigh* I'll just have to go to bed at 9PM the night before, take a nap that day, and drink lots of soda xDDDD

Oh, and I forgot, but tomorrow I get to go home for a week for break yaaaaay~

Is still absolute trash.

filipinoamerican wrote:
Wow. That's funny. I'm reading The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien. I was gonna read The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne next. Both books are on my bookshelf for some reason. We also have Othello and about 2 other Shakespeare's stories. Odd... :yogi:

I'm reading that right now. And I'm totally hating it, 'cuz it's RIGHT AFTER reading The Crucible... *censor BEEP*

We also read Romeo and Juliet in 10th grade, and in 9th grade, we read To Kill a Mockingbird.

10 grade also included Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer and Night by Elie Wiesel. *FU--!* I hated my 10th grade English class.. But the only good thing about that year is that we read some book that ended with our class watching Steel Magnolias. XD (Ouiser had us cracking up near every time she was on.)
*trumpet sounds*

tastes like new reed

I feel so... guilty. I should be working on my Science project, but I'm using the internet. I should be reading The Adventures of Ulysses, but I'm reading Mockingjay. I should be wearing something other than pajamas right now, but I haven't changed my clothes since I woke up and it's 5:41pm.

earthlings on fire

I have to write a review on a book for a writing class. I'm doing Breaking Dawn by...I'm sure you can guess.

It's going to be so fun to rip to pieces :D

(But really, that piece of crap SUCKED SO HARD)
ImageImageImage
...and there's fifteen feet of pure white snow

tastes like new reed

Gaaaaah. I hate that book. I hate that series. I never want to read it again. I'll probably wind up having to, though. We have a reading log and we have to read EVERYDAY. No matter what. I started running out of new books to read, so I re-read series that I read the year before. I remember when I was reading that series last year I stopped in the middle of the fourth book.

I actually didn't directly refer to that series! YAY! Now I have to remember the Caesar's English word that we learned last year that meant "not directly refering to".

earthlings on fire

"Implying"?
ImageImageImage

tastes like new reed

Cravat of Doom wrote:
"Implying"?

Nooo. It wasn't that word. And it was my favorite word, too! Grrrrrr.

MUST. FIGURE. OUT. WORD. GRAAAAAH.

Edit: I. FOUND. THE. WORD!
Yeah... The word is allude. YEEAH, SUCKAS!! I figured it out!(not really... I looked it up on the internet xD But who really gives?)

Last edited by filipinoamerican on Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My childhood right here

Ha! I just finished my long as hell french homework on reflexive verbs. THE PACKET IS RETARDED. "SE COUCHER" MEANS "TO GO TO BED" NOT "TO FALL ASLEEP". GRAH! Learn to French, Mr. Packet. Learn to French.

Subaru Saito Hikari wrote:
filipinoamerican wrote:
I was gonna read The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne next.

I'm reading that right now. And I'm totally hating it, 'cuz it's RIGHT AFTER reading The Crucible... *censor BEEP*

We also read Romeo and Juliet in 10th grade, and in 9th grade, we read To Kill a Mockingbird.

10 grade also included Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer and Night by Elie Wiesel. *FU--!* I hated my 10th grade English class.. But the only good thing about that year is that we read some book that ended with our class watching Steel Magnolias. XD (Ouiser had us cracking up near every time she was on.)

9th grade, my boring-assed English teacher (who was first period, every day. Do you know how hard it was to stay awake in a room that reminds you of a hospital nursery with a monotonous speech-giving woman?) had us read Romeo and Juliet, Tuesdays with Morrie, and Flowers for Algernon. There were some short stories in there too, like The Most Dangerous Game, but those were the big books.
10th grade, I'm pretty sure my English teacher was partially insane, which was totally awesome. Let's see, she had us read MacBeth (during which time she was always telling us she was Lady Gaga, and dressed up for Halloween as a cross between Gaga and Lady MacBeth), Night, and.. and.. Oh! And some existentialist book written by Albert Camus. I can't remember what it's called though, which is frustrating because I HATED that book.
This year, we're doing the Crucible, and later in the year we'll do the Scarlet Letter, Hamlet (because apparently you have to do 1 Shakespearean work a year), and something else. I think it's Dollhouse? Something along those lines. It always takes at least a month to read a book in school, because we always take a week to do a segment, then we do some discussions, blah blah blah, MOVIE TIME, CLASS!

tastes like new reed

Ahhh... You know what really sucks? I spent an hour doing the PLANNING part of my science project, and I only got the first few pages of my picture book done. Then we have an overnight field trip next week from Wed.- Fri. It sucks.

My childhood right here

Oh the tensions of the beginning of the school year.
Spoiler:

I found this funny.

tastes like new reed

Wow. Facebook catfights. Awesome, Steel Turnabout. Just awesome.

I've got an absolutely HILARIOUS story from my horrible Women's Studies class.

The teacher was doing her lecture, and suddenly in the middle of the class someone's phone rang. Normally teachers at university would ignore it or just tell us to turn the sound off on the phone, but no, THIS teacher actually goes up to this girl, takes her phone and starts talking to the person that called her! She said something along the lines of "[Insert name here] is in class right now]".

The ENTIRE class looked at the teacher like WTF and one girl even said, "Don't do that! You're seriously humiliating her!" And the teacher replies, "This class is not a democracy! This is MY class and I can do whatever I want!" or something like that. Seriously, this teacher is such an arrogant little bitch. And not to mention totally ignorant.

I seriously did NOT expect that to happen. AT ALL. Sure, they do that kind of shit in middle school and high school, but NOT university. Sometimes I feel like I lose brain cells going to this class.

tastes like new reed

Wow. That... That's really weird. I...just...can't believe a teacher like that wold actually go up to the girl, take her phone, and start talking to the person. Is that an evasion of privacy? It kinda sounds like it is. Wow. I don't think that they do that to the middle schoolers at our school. All the eight graders tell me that they text in class and the teacher doesn't notice.

My childhood right here

filipinoamerican wrote:
Wow. That... That's really weird. I...just...can't believe a teacher like that wold actually go up to the girl, take her phone, and start talking to the person. Is that an evasion of privacy? It kinda sounds like it is. Wow. I don't think that they do that to the middle schoolers at our school. All the eight graders tell me that they text in class and the teacher doesn't notice.

Everyone texts in class at my school. And I'm pretty sure it would be illegal, since it's Invasion of Privacy. Yea, that's like the lady down the street from me going through everyone's trash, even when the cops are called on her numerous times.

Same here. And on top of that, during the huge 400-500 people lecture classes everybody goes on Facebook with their laptops.

And lol some lady is digging around people's trash, Steel Turnabout? Reminds me of all the hobos that congregate near my university... Mainly because it's right in the middle of the capital city in my state.

I also think it's kind of funny and sad at the same time that there is a hookah shop right across the street from the building that class in in.

tastes like new reed

A hookah...? Those sound really weird. What would an ad for those sound like? "Come, and get your hookahs! Hookahs are the ultimate tool for cooling your cigarette smoke!" Yeah. That's weird. It's so weird that I don't even want to know the WHOLE concept about them.

Edit: I was just reading my lightning notes and I though something said Stepped Ladder when it actually said Stepped Leader. I immediately thought of Phoenix Wright.

Is still absolute trash.

Athena von Karma wrote:
This year, we're doing the Crucible, and later in the year we'll do the Scarlet Letter, Hamlet (because apparently you have to do 1 Shakespearean work a year), and something else. I think it's Dollhouse? Something along those lines. It always takes at least a month to read a book in school, because we always take a week to do a segment, then we do some discussions, blah blah blah, MOVIE TIME, CLASS!

That sounds similar to my Eng. class this year, only we're doing American Lit. the first semester, and British Lit. the second semester.
*trumpet sounds*

Et tu, Brute?

nekonohime wrote:

The teacher was doing her lecture, and suddenly in the middle of the class someone's phone rang. Normally teachers at university would ignore it or just tell us to turn the sound off on the phone, but no, THIS teacher actually goes up to this girl, takes her phone and starts talking to the person that called her! She said something along the lines of "[Insert name here] is in class right now]".

The ENTIRE class looked at the teacher like WTF and one girl even said, "Don't do that! You're seriously humiliating her!" And the teacher replies, "This class is not a democracy! This is MY class and I can do whatever I want!" or something like that. Seriously, this teacher is such an arrogant little bitch. And not to mention totally ignorant.

I seriously did NOT expect that to happen. AT ALL. Sure, they do that kind of shit in middle school and high school, but NOT university. Sometimes I feel like I lose brain cells going to this class.

Quite... :eh?:

nekonohime wrote:

WTF is right. That is seriously out of order. Was anything else done about it? :/

1000% Knight

nekonohime wrote:

Mmmmm, if a teacher was really explicit about not liking cell phones, and a cell phone near the front of the room rang, I could see the teacher taking the cell phone, saying "XXX has a class right now" and hanging up and giving the phone back. Tbh... whatever >_> If the teacher started having a long conversation, or then dwelt on it, or didn't return the phone or something, but if she just said that the person had a class and then hung up... get over it it's really not that embarassing.

Although saying "This class is not a democracy! I can do what I want!" is a bit weird. (Although so far two of my teachers have gone on "I do what I want!" spiels... in terms of giving out more A's than the university wants them to xDDD)

Call me Ishmael.

I got great results in two exams today - Maths and Swedish. :3
Wife: sparkleranger78, daughter: feedmechocolate247

earthlings on fire

My chemistry teacher continuously spells "coefficients" wrong when he's making slideshows on whatever we're learning at the moment, and today he got so mad at the wireless keyboard for not working when he went to correct his spelling that he slammed the wireless mouse down, broke the back off, and pounded the keyboard. Letters finally showed up and the result was "coefficvnfhjdyjnmfcents".
He then kept pronouncing it like like that.

After that, we watched a bunch of videos about walking tractors. Man, I love chemistry.
ImageImageImage

Et tu, Brute?

Bad Player wrote:
nekonohime wrote:

Mmmmm, if a teacher was really explicit about not liking cell phones, and a cell phone near the front of the room rang, I could see the teacher taking the cell phone, saying "XXX has a class right now" and hanging up and giving the phone back. Tbh... whatever >_> If the teacher started having a long conversation, or then dwelt on it, or didn't return the phone or something, but if she just said that the person had a class and then hung up... get over it it's really not that embarassing.

Although saying "This class is not a democracy! I can do what I want!" is a bit weird. (Although so far two of my teachers have gone on "I do what I want!" spiels... in terms of giving out more A's than the university wants them to xDDD)

What makes this especially ironic is the context...a Women's Studies class.

Shows you what those militant feminists are really after...

tastes like new reed

I feel so happy. I got a 99, 98 and 98 on my Caesar's English test, and I got an Outstanding on my vocab sheet for Social Studies! YAY!!!
Hmm... I'm also very jittery. I'm not sure if it's the helping of candy I just had or the fact that I'm going on my OVERNIGHT FIELD TRIP! I haven't even packed yet, but who cares? It's gonna be from Wed.-Fri., and it's gonna be epiiiiic. The only bads things are that I am on bus 2, and all my friends are on bus 1. I wanna be on bus 1! *pouts* I think that everybody who is in Mr. Math's Homeroom is on bus 1, and Mr. Math's class is full of the most funnest people EVAH! I'm stuck diagonal from this mean girl in Mrs. L.A.'s class. At least my room mates are AWESOME!
Wah. I just realized since I won't be home for 3 days, I won't be on CR for 3 days. :larry: WAAAAAH! I'll say goodbye the night before I leave, I PROMISE(which is tomorrow)! If I break that promise I'll hate myself for the whole trip.
Crap. I have to go. My mom's pestering me to go take a shower now. BYE!!

Hope you have fun on my trip!

For my school adventures, I got my group for my Women's Studies group presentation at the end of the semester. Basically we were allowed to pick any topic we want, but we have to do the presentation in 20 minutes. No more, no less. The teacher will force us to stop if we go over the limit. Also, we have to grade each group, which I HATE doing. I had a group presentation like this at my community college and it sucked, because everybody graded me HORRIBLY.

Funny thing about this is, the teacher put on the criteria sheet "No one is allowed to give anybody an A." WHAT. THE.FUUUUUUUUUUUUUU- :zap:

That means even if they did really well, us peers will only be allowed to give a B as a highest grade to other groups. What a rip!

Oh, and the topic my group picked? The oppressive nature of pornography and sex-trafficking within the east coast of the United States (where I'm from).

FINALLY, something that I can actually agree with.

1000% Knight

nekonohime wrote:
Oh, and the topic my group picked? The oppressive nature of pornography and sex-trafficking within the east coast of the United States (where I'm from).

Have fun :hotti:

tastes like new reed

nekonohime wrote:
Hope you have fun on my trip!

Also, we have to grade each group, which I HATE doing. I had a group presentation like this at my community college and it sucked, because everybody graded me HORRIBLY.

Yep. Even though it's supposed to be educational, our Social Studies teacher told us that we can have fun. We can't buy or bring candy, but last year both of my room mates bought candy. I was the only one who didn't buy candy, 'cause I'm a good little innocent sweet child. :pearly: Okaaayyy. So maybe I'm not THAT innocent. I can be very... mean at sometimes. But I'm the youngest in my house hold family! Aaand I'm a child. See? I didn't lie about 2 things!
I remember we had to grade each other once. In fact, we just did that in our L.A. class. At the start of the year we had 3 projects on 3 books that we read over the summer from the summer reading list, and we had to share those with the whole class. I failed horribly, though probably only the teacher noticed. I sneaked a peek at what others graded me, and I got all O's(outstanding) and one U(unsatisfactory). So most people gave me the best grade and the lowest grade. I probably got all those O's because of the quality of my project, but I probably got that U because I spoke in a soft voice, and I had to repeat the poem that I did for one of the books because my voice was too soft. We did this same thing last year, I got a B+ last year.
Last year, we were doing a play(The Adventures of Tom Sawyer) . Each grade has to put on a play, and you have to audition for the part. First I tried out for Becky, and I didn't even study my lines. So, I failed. The next part I tried out for was Muff, the innocent man accused of murder. I was surprisingly good, and got the part of the understudy. Apparently I had a lot of emotion. I memorized my lines. People said they thought that I was even better than the person who was actually playing Muff in the play. When the person who was actually playing Muff was out, I got to be Muff in the practice. I got to push around my friend and beg Injun Joe not to tell anybody. Mrs. L.A. said she liked how I went all "buddy buddy" on Injun Joe. All the understudies got to watch the real people practice. I watched the actual person for Muff(she was one of my really good friends at the time) and she barely had any emotion. I really did not want to tell her that because then she would go all "HUMPH" on me and give me the silent treatment. Well the understudies all got to be in the one part where we yell at Muff. My most favorite line was when all the understudies got to yell, "SHUT UP!!" at Muff. It was awesome. I got an A... I think. Anyway, our play sucked, but we put our BEST FOOT FORWARD! I really hope we get to write our own play like the 5th graders did last year. Their's involved singing, and catchy tunes. Their play was waaaaaay better than ours.

tastes like new reed

Came here to say goodbye. I probably won't have access to a computer today. Or tomorrow, or the next day, or the day after that. I come home on Friday at around 5:45pm. On the bright side, today I lost a really annoying molar that I had! My friends was pulling it during recess, and right after recess she tried getting it out again, and she got it! So I spent Science with a bloody mouth. Ewww.
Well, goodbye, then! :acro:
Page 10 of 23 [ 913 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 23  Next

Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Wright & Co. Law Offices