Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Wright & Co. Law Offices

Page 33 of 39[ 1554 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 39  Next

Re: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears?βTopic%20Title

In Justice We Trust

CatMuto wrote:
I'm not watching the video, too late, so break it down.

Money. Amusingly enough, the joke I linked to earlier is the first example under "Actors."
I'll always love you, Max.

Wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey...

dimentiorules wrote:
The funny thing about 50 shades is that my mother watched it, and until I explained it to her she didn't even know it was supposed to be a romance! She thought it was a drama, and that Christian Grey was meant to be seen as a villain who manipulates the innocent girl into doing things she wouldn't otherwise do. She didn't believe me at first when I said that it was meant to be romantic. And considering that she falls right into the middle aged mom demographic that made the movie so popular, that's saying something.

Yay, somebody who actually sees it for what it is, and not what it's meant to be.

I heard somewhere that 50 Shades started out as a Twilight fanfiction. Not sure how true that is, but it wouldn't actually surprise me.

I really wish though that the author had intended it as a satire, but for some reason, people entirely missed the point. The problem is the lack of similar stories to compare it to that makes believe it was actually meant to be taken at face value. :ron:

Oh, it is true. It used to be Edward the 'broken man' into BDSM because of issues that needed to be healed with the help of Bella's magical hooha. Yes, it sounds just as stupid (and insulting to BDSMers who AREN'T full of 'tragic background' and still enjoy the lifestyle) as it was later turned into 50 Shades. Used to be called Master of the Universe. No relation to He-Man. :ron:

C-A

Danksgiving

Quote:
Used to be called Master of the Universe. No relation to He-Man.

...im making the joke anyway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ5LpwO-An4

OH BOY, 3AM!

You know what really grinds my gears? When people buy expensive shoes then they complain about them getting dirty. I'd understand if you plan on displaying on them. But no, you wear them. They get dirty, you complain. Shoes are supposed to get dirty! They prevent your feet from getting dirty, thus get dirty themselves! So stop complaining! :tigre2:
"The business is on. I am trying to raise the balance for the Gummy Bear so he could submit all the needed Fizzy Cola Bottle Jelly Beans to the Creme Egg for the Peanut M&Ms process to start. Send £1,500.00 via a Giant Gummy Lizard" -Solomon Odonkoh

The cape is self-fluttering

Sniper and Rifle wrote:
You know what really grinds my gears? When people buy expensive shoes then they complain about them getting dirty. I'd understand if you plan on displaying on them. But no, you wear them. They get dirty, you complain. Shoes are supposed to get dirty! They prevent your feet from getting dirty, thus get dirty themselves! So stop complaining! :tigre2:

I bet those are the same people who buy an expensive sports car with a beautiful paint job, and then deliberately take up two spaces in every parking lot they visit.
"Descole? You don't mean Mr. I-Like-to-Wreck-Things-with-Mechanical-Monsters-and-Dress-Up-as-Posh-Ladies Descole?" -Emmy Altava

...NAILED IT

OH BOY, 3AM!

Jean Descole wrote:
Sniper and Rifle wrote:

I bet those are the same people who buy an expensive sports car with a beautiful paint job, and then deliberately take up two spaces in every parking lot they visit.

Probably won't be beautiful after that. :sassy: If you catch my drift.
"The business is on. I am trying to raise the balance for the Gummy Bear so he could submit all the needed Fizzy Cola Bottle Jelly Beans to the Creme Egg for the Peanut M&Ms process to start. Send £1,500.00 via a Giant Gummy Lizard" -Solomon Odonkoh

Jean Descole wrote:
Sniper and Rifle wrote:

Yes, those people who park like that... Excuse me here, I just quick need to - Ooooops - pass by your car with my diamond-studded coat~ *scraaatch*

C-A

In Justice We Trust

You know what really grinds my gears? People running attack ads or spreading negative rumors about politicians' families. It's ridiculous how often I see people ridiculing Mrs. Obama's appearance--to say nothing of the utterly ridiculous rumor that she was born male. And then there's this whole business about Mrs. Trump's racy past, the attack ads ridiculing Mrs. Cruz's appearance, and now I've even seen people digging up an old rumor about Mr. Clinton from back when he was President (said rumor seems to have disappeared from the media around the time he left office, which makes it rather dubious in my eyes). These people aren't running for office! Why the [censored] are you slinging mud at them!? And even if they were running for office, none of it has any bearing on their competence as politicians! Stick to the people actually running for office (and stick to stuff that actually has some sort of relevance to how well they'd perform in public office).

The cape is self-fluttering

General Luigi wrote:
You know what really grinds my gears? People running attack ads or spreading negative rumors about politicians' families. It's ridiculous how often I see people ridiculing Mrs. Obama's appearance--to say nothing of the utterly ridiculous rumor that she was born male. And then there's this whole business about Mrs. Trump's racy past, the attack ads ridiculing Mrs. Cruz's appearance, and now I've even seen people digging up an old rumor about Mr. Clinton from back when he was President (said rumor seems to have disappeared from the media around the time he left office, which makes it rather dubious in my eyes). These people aren't running for office! Why the [censored] are you slinging mud at them!? And even if they were running for office, none of it has any bearing on their competence as politicians! Stick to the people actually running for office (and stick to stuff that actually has some sort of relevance to how well they'd perform in public office).

I actually become amused the more ridiculous the rumors get. It's like, really? Is this the worst dirt you can dig up on these people? An obviously made-up story that only idiots will believe?
"Descole? You don't mean Mr. I-Like-to-Wreck-Things-with-Mechanical-Monsters-and-Dress-Up-as-Posh-Ladies Descole?" -Emmy Altava

...NAILED IT

General Luigi wrote:
now I've even seen people digging up an old rumor about Mr. Clinton from back when he was President (said rumor seems to have disappeared from the media around the time he left office, which makes it rather dubious in my eyes). These people aren't running for office! Why the [censored] are you slinging mud at them!?

AFAIK, that's Trump's way of trying to hinder Hillary Clinton's image -- appealing to her husband's rumoured past affairs, or even crazier, unfounded stories. Bringing this kind of thing up right now only shows how desperate he is, IMO.

dangerousoffender wrote:
General Luigi wrote:
now I've even seen people digging up an old rumor about Mr. Clinton from back when he was President (said rumor seems to have disappeared from the media around the time he left office, which makes it rather dubious in my eyes). These people aren't running for office! Why the [censored] are you slinging mud at them!?

AFAIK, that's Trump's way of trying to hinder Hillary Clinton's image -- appealing to her husband's rumoured past affairs, or even crazier, unfounded stories. Bringing this kind of thing up right now only shows how desperate he is, IMO.

Honestly, the entire way the campaign of Trump's (and partially Hillary's, too) seems to be going for the past few weeks - if not months - seems to be nothing but slinging mud at some other person for reasons that have nothing to do with their politics. Like, why should I care if the other candidates did or did not do X or Y? Or whether they had something going on with their family in the past? Or currently? As General said, the families are not running for president and their actions will not affect the candidate's way of doing their politics.

And, frankly, why should I vote for a candidate who does nothing but belittle people over stuff that doesn't matter, Trump? :ron:

As said, I've heard Hillary pulling similar stuff, but not to the extent that Trump is. She is still focusing on her politics, mostly.

C-A

Yeah, the propaganda surrounding this election seems childish in many ways. People like to gossip. They like to talk about irrelevant things, and point out irrelevant stuff about a candidate to discredit them. It's like some people are paying attention to these campaings as if they were paying attention to any other TV show, or sports. Just for entertainment.

Hillary Clinton is a person I know a lot about. I don't exactly like her, but I respect her to the extent I can respect a politician. I think she has a lot of resilience, really, and is tougher and more ruthless than Trump is in a lot of ways. She is unstoppable. He is just more impulsive.

Enoshima Junko-chan!

When people try to defend Islam, they usually bring up how Christianity is also bad. That's no defense of Islam, when you have to attack another religion distract people.

Excellent point. If you're going to smear other religions to point out why your religion is so amazing, you should do so in a way that points out exclusive highlights for your religion as opposed to handpicking a few flaws from some of the popular alternatives.

So, instead of saying "X is best because Y is flawed. X doesn't have that flaw." it'd be better to say "X is best because of this exclusive reason. The rest of the alphabet doesn't have this."

In Justice We Trust

MBr wrote:
When people try to defend Islam, they usually bring up how Christianity is also bad. That's no defense of Islam, when you have to attack another religion distract people.

I think it depends on what is being argued over. If someone who's okay with Christianity is harping on a particular "weak point" in Islam despite Christianity having that same "weak point," then they're being inconsistent by only calling Islam out over it. In that scenario, it's perfectly reasonable to point out that Christianity has the same problem.

That said, even in those circumstances, it is still a case of "tu quoque" and doesn't really do anything about the "weak point" in question. It's more so an (admittedly sometimes justified) effort to call the attacker's supposed objectivity into question.

Nerd Processor

Large gaps between release dates of films/tv/games in different countries.

I know in the case of series' like AA this is to do with localisation... but even then the UK got T&T an entire year after the US (In fact here T&T came out AFTER AJ!)... but the longer the gap the easier it is to accidentally read something you shouldn't.

I suppose what really grinds my gears is people blurting spoilers out without first asking whether you're okay with it or not. :lana: I remember one of the cliffhangers to a 10th Doctor story was spoiled to me by someone on instant message just popping up and saying 'hey such and such are back!' geez. Thanks. I'm normally pretty blatant about being anti that kind of spoiler too.

Basically, I just saw a spoiler for AA6 and it wasn't even in a place where I thought I'd need to be as careful. It's my own fault for clicking on the journal on DA but the original poster had posted a non-spoiler journal and I wanted to see whether people agreed with the spoiler he was talking about. Should have figured someone else wouldn't go by the 'I'm not going to spoil it for you but...' thing that the journal owner had at least kindly done. Also it's times like this that being able to see the contents of literature/journal entries on DA without clicking on them causes an issue.

So guess I won't be browsing art for Ace Attorney on DA for a while. I'm hesitant to search for anything on Tumblr right now too.

Wow. Sorry. That was a rant and a half. :bellboy:
My Ace Attorney FanFiction Thread (Last updated: 5th August 2018)

Nerdowl wrote:
I know in the case of series' like AA this is to do with localisation...

Because it would be impossible for a game to succeed without westernizing it for us Idiots. God forbid we learn a bit about a different culture. Besides, it's not like Ace Attorney did THAT good of a job of localization, anyway. I'll just refer to this Ace Attorney comic from Awkward Zombie.

Also, personal opinion - of course, but Ace Attorney never did anything that was that much of a huge twist. Things in those are just plain predictable.

C-A

Do you see the black one...or the white?

Poor customer service.

So back on May 3, I ordered a physical copy Dragon Quest Heroes off of Square's online store because it was on sale for over half off. I had previously ordered games from their site before with no problems. I was expected to receive my game on the 10th. Come to find out, it was shipped to the wrong address, but since that address didn't exist, it was sent back to their company. That was fine. I got in touch with Square, let them know what had happened, provided my purchase info, sent them the corrected address, and they got back in touch with me after about 3 days saying that they had corrected it and would ship the game to me.

This was well over 3 weeks ago and since then I have heard nothing since about my game, if it has ever been shipped back out or what. Nothing. For the past 2 weeks now, I've tried getting back in touch with them about 4 or so times now (twice a week) as I've gotten concerned about not hearing anything about my game since. Previously when I got in touch with them the first time, I heard back within a few days. I have yet to receive anything from them addressing my concerns. I can understand them being busy, but it shouldn't take 2 weeks from even my initial e-mail since I've started worrying about my product for me to hear a response.

Honestly at this point, with the lack of communication and no update whatsoever on my product, I'm convinced that me ever receiving my product is a lost cause. At this point I'm starting to consider talking about taking legal action at this point.... over something that only cost me about $25, which is really absurd. I'm giving them until this Monday to hear anything from them at all.

I've sent them e-mails out this past Sunday and Wednesday so surely I expect to hear something before then, but taking into account that I also e-mailed them twice last week as well and have yet to hear anything, I really have my doubts. I get that the wrong address could lie on me, but with them initially e-mailing me and saying they fixed it, the entirety of the problem now lies in Square's hands. I honestly don't want to have to go as far as to bring up taking legal action against for something seemingly small, but it's absurd with how lackluster their lack of communication has been and their false promise on their site that they will for sure get back in touch with me within a few days when it's been almost over 2 weeks.

Seriously, all I wanted to do was enjoy a game. It's disgusting how something that was so simple has grown into something so complicated all simply because of a severe lack of communication between the customer and the company. I've done my part, I'd expect the company to do the same. Don't give me one e-mail ensuring what is a false promise at this point and leave me hanging for over 3 weeks after that trying to find any clue whatsoever as to what's going on.

And yeah, I'd have put this in the rant thread instead, but poor customer service as a whole, I feel, is something that needs to be addressed and dealt with. I try to have patience with others because I understand they can be too busy at times. But there does come a time where having to wait too long starts to become less about understanding they're busy and more feeling like you're being ignored or forgotten, and sad to say, that's how I feel with my issue with Square's online store right now.
On April 3, 2016, Court Records Forums experienced a miracle upon that day.
CatMuto wrote:
Pierre wrote:
Man...that looks dull...this actually makes me worried for KH3 (since that team worked on the battle system)

I feel the same

You know, a Mario game!

I once ordered a copy of Ouendan off Amazon, and when it arrived, the case was empty! It took me a while but I was able to contact them and get the actual cart sent to me, so I was lucky. It sucks to not get what you want off of online stores. I wish the best for you.
My let's Play channel! Shameless plug!
Current Project: Sly Cooper & The Thievius Racoonus
My Twitter Account

Gettin' Old!

dullahan1 wrote:
Poor customer service.

So back on May 3, I ordered a physical copy Dragon Quest Heroes off of Square's online store because it was on sale for over half off. I had previously ordered games from their site before with no problems. I was expected to receive my game on the 10th. Come to find out, it was shipped to the wrong address, but since that address didn't exist, it was sent back to their company. That was fine. I got in touch with Square, let them know what had happened, provided my purchase info, sent them the corrected address, and they got back in touch with me after about 3 days saying that they had corrected it and would ship the game to me.

This was well over 3 weeks ago and since then I have heard nothing since about my game, if it has ever been shipped back out or what. Nothing. For the past 2 weeks now, I've tried getting back in touch with them about 4 or so times now (twice a week) as I've gotten concerned about not hearing anything about my game since. Previously when I got in touch with them the first time, I heard back within a few days. I have yet to receive anything from them addressing my concerns. I can understand them being busy, but it shouldn't take 2 weeks from even my initial e-mail since I've started worrying about my product for me to hear a response.

Honestly at this point, with the lack of communication and no update whatsoever on my product, I'm convinced that me ever receiving my product is a lost cause. At this point I'm starting to consider talking about taking legal action at this point.... over something that only cost me about $25, which is really absurd. I'm giving them until this Monday to hear anything from them at all.

I've sent them e-mails out this past Sunday and Wednesday so surely I expect to hear something before then, but taking into account that I also e-mailed them twice last week as well and have yet to hear anything, I really have my doubts. I get that the wrong address could lie on me, but with them initially e-mailing me and saying they fixed it, the entirety of the problem now lies in Square's hands. I honestly don't want to have to go as far as to bring up taking legal action against for something seemingly small, but it's absurd with how lackluster their lack of communication has been and their false promise on their site that they will for sure get back in touch with me within a few days when it's been almost over 2 weeks.

Seriously, all I wanted to do was enjoy a game. It's disgusting how something that was so simple has grown into something so complicated all simply because of a severe lack of communication between the customer and the company. I've done my part, I'd expect the company to do the same. Don't give me one e-mail ensuring what is a false promise at this point and leave me hanging for over 3 weeks after that trying to find any clue whatsoever as to what's going on.

And yeah, I'd have put this in the rant thread instead, but poor customer service as a whole, I feel, is something that needs to be addressed and dealt with. I try to have patience with others because I understand they can be too busy at times. But there does come a time where having to wait too long starts to become less about understanding they're busy and more feeling like you're being ignored or forgotten, and sad to say, that's how I feel with my issue with Square's online store right now.

Have you tried calling them? I always prefer immediate customer service answers and so normally opt to contact people by phone or by chat (an increasingly common option these days). Can't run from that well :P
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Trust me, that was the first thing I tried. Sadly, they have no way of getting directly in contact with them. The only number available is some Final Fantasy XIV help number. Their site has no number for me to contact otherwise. Even when I got in contact with the other number, they directed me to customer support on their site, even though I had asked for a number. So basically, I'm stuck with that as my only option. Believe me, I'd rather go through phone than e-mail any day. Basically, as far as I know, and trust me, I spent several hours looking, they have no phone number to where you can contact them for customer support.
CatMuto wrote:
Pierre wrote:
Man...that looks dull...this actually makes me worried for KH3 (since that team worked on the battle system)

I feel the same

Nerd Processor

dullahan1 wrote:
Trust me, that was the first thing I tried. Sadly, they have no way of getting directly in contact with them. The only number available is some Final Fantasy XIV help number. Their site has no number for me to contact otherwise. Even when I got in contact with the other number, they directed me to customer support on their site, even though I had asked for a number. So basically, I'm stuck with that as my only option. Believe me, I'd rather go through phone than e-mail any day. Basically, as far as I know, and trust me, I spent several hours looking, they have no phone number to where you can contact them for customer support.

Do they have an official facebook or twitter? Sometimes I find publicly shouting at a company on a site like that gets more action than a private email.
My Ace Attorney FanFiction Thread (Last updated: 5th August 2018)

Nerdowl wrote:
Do they have an official facebook or twitter? Sometimes I find publicly shouting at a company on a site like that gets more action than a private email.

I'd just like to say, that is one of the most immature things to do.

"I'm gonna complain about you on my LiveJournal/Facebook/Twitter! Whaaaaa! Whaaaaa!" :larry:

C-A

Danksgiving

i mean we're already complaining about it on a video game forum

You're always gonna find somebody somewhere complaining and whining about something. This is the internet.
CatMuto wrote:
Pierre wrote:

I feel the same

Gettin' Old!

People should be allowed to express displeasure without having to be derided and demeaned by other people who think their views are worthless.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Pierre wrote:
People should be allowed to express displeasure without having to be derided and demeaned by other people who think their views are worthless.

There's nothing wrong with venting (which is the purpose of the Vent Thread), but I see no point in shaming someone in your whining on social media posts. If you got a problem with how something went down in an establishment, how about you bring it up in person, at the location, at the time when it happened? It's a given that people on the internet will make it a huger stink than it is.

C-A

Gettin' Old!

CatMuto wrote:
Pierre wrote:

There's nothing wrong with venting (which is the purpose of the Vent Thread), but I see no point in shaming someone in your whining on social media posts. If you got a problem with how something went down in an establishment, how about you bring it up in person, at the location, at the time when it happened? It's a given that people on the internet will make it a huger stink than it is.

C-A

Y'see you are deriding just how big a "stink" something is to someone. The issue might seem like nothing to you but it matters to them. It's undeniable that the "face" of the company doesn't want to have to deal with a public shaming, who would? Therefore they are likely to want to brush the matter aside as quickly as possible by passing it on to someone else.

Least I imagine that's the thinking behind it. Then it becomes multiple people at the company's problem rather than just one department which might just eyeroll it and put it away.

Its the same reason for any review really. Yelp and tripadvisor and all that would love positive reviews and thrive on that public social media stuff.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Pierre wrote:

I will honestly be shocked the day that doesn't happen when someone expresses their concerns about something on the internet. Sad to say, every time someone expresses their opinion or distaste in something, it's like walking in an area filled with landmines. You're just bound to set somebody off because they're either going to flame you or degrade you.
CatMuto wrote:
Pierre wrote:

I feel the same

Beware of the Dog

You know what really grids my gears? This whole shitstorm about that Harry Potter play in with Hermine Granger is played by a black woman. It's based on the BOOKS, not on the FILMS, damn it, and as far as I know, you're never really told a lot about how she looks like in the books. Correct me if I'm wrong. Also, of course she can't look like she did in the film, because she's not played be Emma Watson, but there are also dozens or hundreds of Wizards of Oz and nobody cares, because it simply is that way when you need real people to perform on stage. Is there any reason why she couldn't have been black all the time in those bloody books? Maybe it's not likely, but I think it isn't that unlikely either. And, man, this is art. There is no real Hermine Granger anyway, so why don't you simply relax and enjoy the show?

Danksgiving

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong.

Done. Also my two cents is that Rowling shouldn't be using loopholes to make her books more progressive than they actually were, but I'm probably not going to see the play so I don't really care about the actress. Let her acting skills do the talking.

Viktoria von Karma wrote:
It's based on the BOOKS, not on the FILMS, damn it, and as far as I know, you're never really told a lot about how she looks like in the books. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I agree with Mister Gruel, Hermione WAS described in the books. Despite re-reading them multiple times, I do not - off the top of my head - recall Hermione being MENTIONED to be black. (Not to mention, she doesn't TALK like a black person) But she was described as having brown and very bushy hair, front teeth that were a tad too big at first. Frankly, I think the only characters that were deemed black were Lee Thomas, the twins' friend, and maybe Angelina. Though she always struck me as white.

Though, I'll be honest. I don't know how large the population of blacks was in Britain in the 1990s. Maybe there were a lot, maybe there weren't. And given the whole "magic is actually kinda rare" thing, I wouldn't be surprised if majority of Hogwarts was populated by white people.

Though I frankly feel like the movies began to suffer majorly after the second. They began to rely way too heavily on special effects and less on actually telling the story comprehensibly. You pretty much NEED to read Deathly Hallows to understand the last movies. And that is not a good thing to say about an adaptation. An adaptation SHOULD be able to stand on its own, WITHOUT having the previous knowledge of the original source.

C-A

In Justice We Trust

I do think the reaction to Ms. Dumezweni's skin color is rather silly, but at the same time, I can see where those people are coming from. If a character in a story I'm writing is Korean, I'd want them portrayed by someone who looks Korean should the story ever become a movie. However, this is a play, not a movie. In my experience, plays and other live shows (such as operas) aren't especially picky when it comes to a performer's ethnicity. I know from personal experience that the title role in Carmen is not reserved for actual Romanies, for example.

Reminds me of the whole controversy of when Michael B. Jordan was cast in the role of Johnny Storm and how some established superheroes are changing their sexual preferences.

For me personally, and I'm sure a lot of fans, most of the upset doesn't come up from a racist or homophobic bias. It stems from the fact that characters who have been established for years are suddenly being changed for the sake of being changed and thus ruining who that character really was.

In the case of Michael B. Jordan, I don't believe it was because he was black. Sure Johnny was always portrayed as white skin, blond hair. But it was more the fact that he was black and Susan, who has always been established as his blood sister, was white. Honestly, I'm pretty sure the fans would have been riled if she were black and he was white. I feel in this case, the complaints came from the fact that because of this type casting, the characters were re-written as not being blood relative, but rather only related by adoption.

And in the example of changing an established heroes sexuality just for the sake of it, it ruins the character. You can't take, say, Peter Parker, who has been and out of relationships with many girls, married to Mary Jane, has shown for a fact that he's straight, establish this for decades and then go off and suddenly change it to where he's always liked men instead. It takes away a part of what makes the character.

I use these examples to say this. I'm not against having characters represented by different races or sexual preferences. I have a problem when a character that's been established is suddenly changed just so they can look more progressive or appeal to a different audience. To me, that taints who the character is and even in some sense, could ruin their motivations and personality. If you want an African American character instead of, say, a white one or if you want to have a homosexual hero, I prefer you create a new character to meet those standards you want. I have no problems with characters like that. Just don't go changing the race or sexual preference of an established character just to do it. It's going to alienate fans and ruin what that character really was. If you REALLY have to change something about an established character, at least do it in a way that makes sense in terms of the story.

I just don't appreciate it when people are called out to be racist, sexist, homophobic, or whatever because they're upset that a character they grew up loving was suddenly changed just for the sake of being changed.
CatMuto wrote:
Pierre wrote:

I feel the same

dullahan1 wrote:
I'm not against having characters represented by different races or sexual preferences. I have a problem when a character that's been established is suddenly changed just so they can look more progressive or appeal to a different audience.

See, I agree with this. Unless there's a good reason for a skincolor or sexuality change, I don't want it to happen.
Though, I'll be absolutely honest, I cannot even THINK of a good reason for changing the skincolor or sexuality of an established character! Even if they made, say, Harry Potter himself black, it wouldn't make a difference.

He's treated differently by most people because he's a legendary person or because he did something that confuses or frighten them - like his snakespeaking in Chamber of Secrets; it's a very rare ability to begin with and associated with dark magic. If they made him black now, it wouldn't matter. So, there's no reason to make him black. (Or hispanic, asian, mexican, etc)

In fact, the way you point it out, if they do it just to look "progressive", it will piss me off more than if they had 'left' them hetero. It feels like they are flaunting the fact of "Ooooh, we have a bisexual/asexual/homosexual/pansexual/etc character. PRAISE US!" and expect a freaking Nobelprize for it. In fact, unless the sexuality is important - because of love interests or it plays into the plot in other important ways - don't even tell me their sexuality! Leave me to decide on my own.

Spoiler: Legend of Korra
Yes, Korra turns out to, at the very least, be bisexual since she was together with Mako for a while and eventually settled with Asami. I found that revelation to be stupid, out of nowhere in the end and part of the above Praise Me idea.

C-A

PS: Maybe the stage wants to make Hermione black to put extra emphasis on the badness of calling her Mudblood?

CatMuto wrote:
dullahan1 wrote:
I'm not against having characters represented by different races or sexual preferences. I have a problem when a character that's been established is suddenly changed just so they can look more progressive or appeal to a different audience.

See, I agree with this. Unless there's a good reason for a skincolor or sexuality change, I don't want it to happen.
Though, I'll be absolutely honest, I cannot even THINK of a good reason for changing the skincolor or sexuality of an established character!

[...]

In fact, the way you point it out, if they do it just to look "progressive", it will piss me off more than if they had 'left' them hetero. It feels like they are flaunting the fact of "Ooooh, we have a bisexual/asexual/homosexual/pansexual/etc character. PRAISE US!" and expect a freaking Nobelprize for it. In fact, unless the sexuality is important - because of love interests or it plays into the plot in other important ways - don't even tell me their sexuality! Leave me to decide on my own.

The worst part is that people would be up in arms and ready to burn down the writers homes (complete with pitchforks in hand) if they decided to take a character who's always been non-white and/or non-heterosexual and make them white/hetero. And yet, we're somehow just supposed to be okay with them changing pre-existing white/hetero characters to non-white/non-hetero. It's a double standard, and I hate it.

Seriously, about the only times I don't mind those kinds of changes is when a movie/tv series casts someone in a role based on acting abilty as opposed to changing ethnicity for the heck of it. Cases in point: Idris Elba as Heimdall in Thor. Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury in the MCU (lest we forget, Nick Fury was originally white).

On the opposite end of the spectrum, we have Candace Patton as Iris West in The Flash. Don't get me wrong, I love Jesse L. Martin's performance as her father, but it just seems like they decided "Hey, Iris has always been white. Let's make her non-white, and people will love us!" By itself, I wouldn't complain too much, considering I've always seen Iris as a secondary character anyway. Her brother, Wally, on the other hand, is an established main character (i.e. The Flash), and he's always been depicted as white. Although I've only seen Keiynan Lonsdale as Wally, and not the Flash as of yet, it still kind of rubs me the wrong way, just as it would if they had taken Black Panther and made him white. I'll withold judgement until I actually see him as the Flash, but until then, I reserve the right to remain skeptical.

For me, I'm not as critical on race being recast for a character as long as that character isn't defined by their race. Case in point, Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury. Heck, I wouldn't have had a problem if Sue and Johnny Storm were both African American. I had more of a problem that one of them was while the other wasn't because they're supposed to be blood related.

While I'm not huge on Harry Potter, having Hermoine being portrayed by a black person honestly doesn't bother me too much. What bothers me is how I've been hearing the author suddenly saying that she was never white when she clearly was, just so she could make her character seem more progressive. When you're changing the character to try to look more progressive in an attempt to appeal to a bigger crowd, that's when it bothers me.

I know I'm at risk of contradicting myself on some of these points, but as it stands for me when it comes to stuff like this, my opinion will be determined on a case-by-case basis. I don't mind if a character is changed if it makes sense, but I hate when it's done for a dumb reason.
CatMuto wrote:
Pierre wrote:

I feel the same

Gettin' Old!

*Sigh* So if I'm allowed to catastrophise for a second, it feels like the beginning of the end of the civilised world. One "superpower" actively chose to make a step against the world as a whole and turn it's back on it's neighbours in a time of crisis.

A little while ago I voted Yes in the Scottish Independence Referendum, there was many reasons for that but one of the strongest was that I wanted to jump what I felt was a sinking ship. I felt that the Government in England was working hard to sink our reputation and distance us as much as possible from our European brothers and sisters. Now it's come to pass.

Despite every region in Scotland voting remain with 62% of the vote, the absurd majority in England is enough to drag everyone out. Looking at the countrywide statistics I wish it was almost done based on percent of the vote rather than majority because it tells a different tale then, with the Remain having a greater advantage in percentage than the Leave campaign.

My Dad happily called it the "beginning" saying that despite public appearances and claims this is what the Scottish Nationalist Party (current leading Government in Scotland) wanted as now another Scottish independence referendum is almost guaranteed to happen.

However I think it's a naive way of looking at it. Despite all evidence that Scotland's vote counts for nothing in the current government, an independent Scotland would now be going into a world truly alone, whereas before we would be able to retain our place in the EU. Now I imagine people will be afraid that we will be a tiny insignificant country alone and won't be confident enough to vote yes. Though at this point maybe being tiny and insignificant globally is the lesser of two evils rather than being stuck in a union where your country's collective opinion on how the country is ran doesn't matter.

I've even heard Northern Island (Remain by 55%) also might be calling for Independence as well in the face of this. The Prime Minister (though I'm not a fan) has resigned at this result. He might have been a right-wing fool and his conduct in the Scottish Referendum was deplorable but he was really acceptable compared to the true horrors of the Conservative Party. Now they've got full reign I'm more concerned for the future than I was before.

In the Scottish Referendum I could come to terms with it, it was after all the will of my people and it was close too. I could respect that and in time accept that maybe they'd come to see things my way. In this one...it's entirely against that...which makes this...something I just don't want to accept. It wasn't our choice.

I'm so sick of politics, this is the side that has right-wing extreme politicians like UKIP backing it, the side that is responsible for the only British political assassination/murder in my lifetime that I can recall.

I'd best start learning another language, because if this continues I'm not sure I'd want to remain in this Union.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

dullahan1 wrote:
While I'm not huge on Harry Potter, having Hermoine being portrayed by a black person honestly doesn't bother me too much. What bothers me is how I've been hearing the author suddenly saying that she was never white when she clearly was, just so she could make her character seem more progressive.

I'm almost willing to give JK some slack here, because - over the years - she has said things one time that contradict what she said another time. For example, her stance on HarryxHermione. She said that the two would never work as a couple, but eventually also said that the two shared things and moments that Hermione and Ron didn't and that she figured that Hermione and Ron would end up going to marriage counseling, if they got hitched.

So... you know, it could be that she's just saying this. Nothing in the books ever established that Hermione was a specific race. And, maybe it's me, but she never came across as black. Or, at the very least, not-white. And I don't think Hermione is a very... black name to begin with. In Sycamore Row, that I'm reading right now, two highschool kids die in a car crash. Both of them were stated to be white; one was named Kyle (which I can see as a 'white name') and the other... Bo. Just Bo. Now, my mother explained that the name is likely an abbreviated of... Bowengard or so... can't say that sounds very white to me, either...

C-A
Page 33 of 39 [ 1554 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 39  Next

Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Wright & Co. Law Offices