Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Wright & Co. Law Offices

Page 9 of 39[ 1554 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 39  Next

Re: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears?βTopic%20Title

Quote:
I don't think you should blame the Constitution for that,

Mostly I was referring to the pun of bear arms.

As for gun-control increasing or declining homicides, well, what about accidental deaths resulting in the gun control being restricted to only people who have proper authority to have one, like a policeman or a member of a shooting range club, yet their children or family or friends getting shot by one on accident?
I mean, not every gun instantly means there'll be homicide.

C-A

CatMuto wrote:
Quote:
I don't think you should blame the Constitution for that,

As for gun-control increasing or declining homicides, well, what about accidental deaths resulting in the gun control being restricted to only people who have proper authority to have one, like a policeman or a member of a shooting range club, yet their children or family or friends getting shot by one on accident?
I mean, not every gun instantly means there'll be homicide.

C-A

Yeah, I just wanted to make sure that people understand why there is so much hostility to gun control. It's part of America's history and I think a lot of people fail to realize why the law is there.

earthlings on fire

If you look at the drop down menu and click "Homicide by firearm rate..."you can see that the US does have more gun-related homicides than other countries in the Western World. I can't pull any magic inferences from that but I do think it's clear that it needs to be examined closely. The lack of action-- any action, no matter what said action might be-- by the US government should be considered a letdown.

zpattack12 wrote:
With a gun, it empowers the weak, which is the idea upon which America was founded upon. Without this clause, America would've contradicted the very ideals it created upon, which is why it is so important to so many Americans.

That logic is... interesting. Very sentimental and perhaps even destructive. Times change and so do laws, but people cling to this part of the Constitution like there's no tomorrow.
ImageImageImage
...and there's fifteen feet of pure white snow

Cravat of Doom wrote:
If you look at the drop down menu and click "Homicide by firearm rate..."you can see that the US does have more gun-related homicides than other countries in the Western World. I can't pull any magic inferences from that but I do think it's clear that it needs to be examined closely. The lack of action-- any action, no matter what said action might be-- by the US government should be considered a letdown.

zpattack12 wrote:
With a gun, it empowers the weak, which is the idea upon which America was founded upon. Without this clause, America would've contradicted the very ideals it created upon, which is why it is so important to so many Americans.

That logic is... interesting. Very sentimental and perhaps even destructive. Times change and so do laws, but people cling to this part of the Constitution like there's no tomorrow.

It isn't about sentiments, its about ideals. We were built upon the ideals that then people should have the power to change what they dislike. The gun is a symbol of this power, showing that the common people have the power to fight the possibility of tyranny. It's shown in so many rules that America has, and its been working for many years. America's laws are written in a manner that they rather limit the power of the government, even if that power can be used to help, (look at the American legal system) it is of utmost importance to ensure they can't abuse it. It's what prevents the American government from becoming a monarchy, and that's why that logic, and those ideals will never ever ever EVER be dated. Sure, it may be destructive, but putting the power in the government is a much more scary alternative.

You know, a Mario game!

Here in Canada, our gun control laws are a lot stricter than in America. Here it's damn near impossible to legally get your hands on a gun if you're not either a police officer or a registered hunter. Of course, if you're a hunter, you're only allowed standard hunting rifles and if you're a police officer you're usually only allowed a simple pistol. Most other types of guns are 100% illegal, at least from what I've heard. The only information about this kinda stuff I get is from the news on TV, which I'm pretty confident is reliable.
My let's Play channel! Shameless plug!
Current Project: Sly Cooper & The Thievius Racoonus
My Twitter Account

It's all nice to hold the traditions of 1776 (wait, was that the year?) to this day, but as mentioned: things change. America is no longer a tyranny, nor do we have a tyranny - if a Tyrant gets into office, it's because the people voted for him. So no point blaming the government then.

Also, back then, there was no real law system or justice. Things were dealt with with simple violence, so a gun was handy. But again, times have changed. People have learned that just violence is not the way. Or that they can't just say, "I hate this idea!" and think that shooting someone may end up with getting the change they want.

Seriously, I feel like anyone who uses a gun to get what they want was horribly raised as a child and never learned the lesson that you don't always get what you want.

C-A

Gettin' Old!

That is a large part of the problem, I feel, because the origin of Gun Laws is tied to such a positive event in American History it's always been associated positively in their history.

However it still doesn't mean everyone should have them, yes it gives people the power to contend with soldiers and people who may harm us but with that comes the power to be the aggressor. Back in the olden times as you said, Knights and the like were trusted with defence but lately it seems the Police hardly get quite the good reputation Knights had.

Canada's rules sound pretty good though. I think farmers in Britains are allowed to own guns to protect their lands but thats it outside of police.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

In Justice We Trust

It's as I often say: misguided rebels are just as dangerous as a tyrannical government. I've had the "pleasure" of speaking with some of these rebel wannabes, and while I can't say I think very highly of our current government, I find these would-be rebels even less trustworthy.
I'll always love you, Max.

Gettin' Old!

General Luigi wrote:
It's as I often say: misguided rebels are just as dangerous as a tyrannical government. I've had the "pleasure" of speaking with some of these rebel wannabes, and while I can't say I think very highly of our current government, I find these would-be rebels even less trustworthy.

Yeah I'd say there is an EXTREMELY good reason most Western Countries only entrust that "power" to a few individuals.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

This is more about personal belief, but I don't want power put into the governments hands, because as they usurp more power, eventually the government will abuse it, even if its a few hundred years later, so by leaving that power in the hands of the people, I think it serves the greater interest more. Sure, the government of the next 100 years may use it to protect us, but if they can eventually use it to oppress, then I want to avoid that as much as possible.

Gettin' Old!

zpattack12 wrote:
This is more about personal belief, but I don't want power put into the governments hands, because as they usurp more power, eventually the government will abuse it, even if its a few hundred years later, so by leaving that power in the hands of the people, I think it serves the greater interest more. Sure, the government of the next 100 years may use it to protect us, but if they can eventually use it to oppress, then I want to avoid that as much as possible.

That's the kinda fearful thinking that needs to be avoided. No trust, besides it's not like the government has all the power. I can tell you for sure Britain's government gets a terrible reputation amongst it's people and we don't worry about the government breaking out the police to enforce their beliefs.

Well there's always people who are going to hate the government and police desire to fight them, probably why some of the London riots happened a year back and everyone thinks those were a bad idea. Though you have to have some level of trust between a government and it's people at least, can't always think "the government will one day usurp power" that's just extreme negative thinking and nothing good will come of it.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

earthlings on fire

I agree. If you look back up to what General Luigi said, the government is not necessarily more dangerous than a mass of misguided and selfish people.

Citizens are not inherently good and government is not inherently evil. Democracy exists so that both can be kept in check, but it only works if you have a healthy, balanced level of trust in each of them.
ImageImageImage
...and there's fifteen feet of pure white snow

You know, a Mario game!

Pierre wrote:
zpattack12 wrote:

That's the kinda fearful thinking that needs to be avoided. No trust, besides it's not like the government has all the power. I can tell you for sure Britain's government gets a terrible reputation amongst it's people and we don't worry about the government breaking out the police to enforce their beliefs.

Well there's always people who are going to hate the government and police desire to fight them, probably why some of the London riots happened a year back and everyone thinks those were a bad idea. Though you have to have some level of trust between a government and it's people at least, can't always think "the government will one day usurp power" that's just extreme negative thinking and nothing good will come of it.

Wait, you're from Britain? I thought you were from Scotland!
My Twitter Account

Gettin' Old!

dimentiorules wrote:
Pierre wrote:
zpattack12 wrote:

Wait, you're from Britain? I thought you were from Scotland!

I wish I could say they were separate. Scotland is considered within Britain just now, there's exciting political debating going around to have a referendum to break the union right this year.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You know, a Mario game!

Oh, OK. For a while in the 1800s and earlier, Canada was also considered part of Britain. Although we do technically have the Queen as our monarch, we're considered an independent country.
My Twitter Account

dimentiorules wrote:
Oh, OK. For a while in the 1800s and earlier, Canada was also considered part of Britain. Although we do technically have the Queen as our monarch, we're considered an independent country.

As House said to Chase, who was an Australian: "You put our Queen on your money, you're british"

C-A

CatMuto wrote:

One right we can all get behind. It'd be cruel if we only allowed bear legs.

An Enigma Among Humans

When you write a really good topic, and everyone ignores it. Not even a little something. Is everyone really like this?

Edit (after seeing that someone a new thread, hiding his own post): THIS IS A CONSPIRACY! :Kristoph-hair:

The Real Human Being

Blood_fox5 wrote:
When you write a really good topic, and everyone ignores it. Not even a little something. Is everyone really like this?

Edit (after seeing that someone a new thread, hiding his own post): THIS IS A CONSPIRACY! :Kristoph-hair:

You know what really grinds my gears? When people have the audacity to compare Fairy Tail to One Piece and say that its better >.>

On that note he is a actual fact about Fairy Tail

In Justice We Trust

Fool Bright wrote:
You know what really grinds my gears? When people have the audacity to compare Fairy Tail to One Piece and say that its better >.>

Sounds kind of like how I might react if someone compared Maria Stuarda to Mazeppa and said that the former's better.

General Luigi wrote:
Fool Bright wrote:

Sounds kind of like how I might react if someone compared Maria Stuarda to Mazeppa and said that the former's better.

Whats the difference between the two?

In Justice We Trust

In the former, the music often contradicts the libretto. In the latter, there is far more cooperation between the two. I probably might as well be speaking Chuvash when discussing this kind of thing with most people, but it's something I consider important in an opera (or any sort of performance that both tells a story and has music).

March 7 edit (though it's already March 8 by now in most of the world):

You know what really grinds my gears (other than having to technically double post to ensure people know something new has been added)? The "sheeple" cop-out. Are there people who are so convinced of their views that they ignore all evidence against said views? Yes. Are there people who will blindly latch onto a particular view without first looking into the matter for themselves? Yes. My problem is with this cop-out being used in place of any serious effort to refute a person's argument. If you have evidence that someone's wrong, present it. If they have evidence to refute your claim, take a look at it and see if they have a point.

The problem with the "sheeple" argument is that it's used in such a way as to prevent it from being refuted without the alleged sheep renouncing his/her view. Essentially, the person making the "sheeple" claim (henceforth known as the accuser) has already decided that his/her opponent (henceforth known as the accused) is "indoctrinated" and therefore feels the burden of proof is on the accused to disprove his/her indoctrination. The problem is that the accuser, simply by making the claim in the first place rather than arguing through evidence, has tacitly refused to address any further evidence brought forward by the accused; the matter at hand is now whether or not the accused is thinking for himself/herself. Because the accuser considers the burden of proof to be on the accused, though, any evidence that the accused might have a point in the prior argument will be summarily dismissed on the grounds that the accused is indoctrinated. In this way, the accuser forces the argument to end simply by refusing to listen. The irony is that if the accused decides to renounce his/her views to "disprove" the allegation that he/she is indoctrinated, he/she is actually justifying the "sheeple" claim by changing his/her stance over a baseless accusation rather than any evidence of his/her prior stance's inaccuracy.

The "sheeple" claim is a cop-out in that it gives the accuser an excuse to ignore any further points the accused makes as well as retroactively dismiss earlier points. The accuser typically makes the claim without any proof to support it other than the extremely self-centered view that anyone who disagrees with the accuser must be incorrect and that anyone who continues to disagree with the accuser despite evidence in support of the accuser's view must be indoctrinated, brainwashed, or similarly incapable of seeing the "truth."

IT'S HAPPENING

Had a bad run-in with an Infowars twit lately, General? :-P

Not that it would detract any awesome from your post.

In Justice We Trust

That one's been festering for a while; no individual run-in caused it.

So... wouldn't this be dragged into court now, anyway? The sheep can bah all it wants, it has to prove conclusively that its accusation is correct. Whether with evidence, other testimony or other grounds of reasoning.

C-A

You Know What Really Grinds My Gears? Copy cats and posers

Last edited by Church Of Sumire on Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Real Human Being

Ishimaru Kiyotaka wrote:
Copy cats and posers really grind my gears.

Read the first post m8, you posted that wrong.

You know what really grinds my gears?

These idiotic ideas in mystery novels/shows/games that would never hold up in real court. I am not talking about the AA-verse here, I am talking about the following, really bad idea that anyone who may think like that should be smacked on the head.

"We found your shoeprints at the murder scene, you are the murderer."

What is wrong with people who think like that? It's a stupid idea, it's like the stupid Name-of-the-murderer-written-in-blood ploy that oh-so-supposedly immediately points to the killer. Okay guys, if you ever think of writing a mystery or murder case, do not give us this idea!

Anyone with half a brain knows that shoeprints do not mean a person. So what you found the pattern of the sole of my sneakers at the crime scene. That doesn't prove I was there, it only proves that my shoes were there. And remember, shoes can be worn by practically anyone, even if they are a size too big or too small.

C-A

Mrs. Jeon Jungkook ♥

CatMuto wrote:
You know what really grinds my gears?

These idiotic ideas in mystery novels/shows/games that would never hold up in real court. I am not talking about the AA-verse here, I am talking about the following, really bad idea that anyone who may think like that should be smacked on the head.

"We found your shoeprints at the murder scene, you are the murderer."

What is wrong with people who think like that? It's a stupid idea, it's like the stupid Name-of-the-murderer-written-in-blood ploy that oh-so-supposedly immediately points to the killer. Okay guys, if you ever think of writing a mystery or murder case, do not give us this idea!

Anyone with half a brain knows that shoeprints do not mean a person. So what you found the pattern of the sole of my sneakers at the crime scene. That doesn't prove I was there, it only proves that my shoes were there. And remember, shoes can be worn by practically anyone, even if they are a size too big or too small.

C-A

Bless you, amen.

The beginning was quite fun, just with all the ups and downs
But suddenly, we’re tired, from a waste of meaningless emotions

시작은 뭐 즐거웠었네 오르락내리락 그 자체로 어느새 서로 지쳐버렸네 의미 없는 감정소모에

Trivia 轉 : Seesaw

You know, a Mario game!

You know what really grinds my gears? April Fools Day. I HATE April Fools Day with a bloody passion! You know why? Because of what it does to the internet. Every website usually has some sort of "joke" they have that sometimes make it impossible to navigate the website! Also, a lot of my favorite Youtubers make stupid joke videos for April Fools Day that aren't funny in the slightest. You almost never get any legitimate videos released on that day, as nearly everyone decides to make those stupid joke videos instead!
My Twitter Account

You know what grinds my gears!? The fact that we STILL don't have a US release date for Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney. :dahlia:

Is this supposed to be some kind of punishment from the Europeans after all these years of them getting video games last!? :payne:

Gettin' Old!

TopHatProfessor1014 wrote:
You know what grinds my gears!? The fact that we STILL don't have a US release date for Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney. :dahlia:

Is this supposed to be some kind of punishment from the Europeans after all these years of them getting video games last!? :payne:

Man there's no release date for that yet in America? :sadshoe:

I feel the same way about SMTIV
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Quote:
Man there's no release date for that yet in America? :sadshoe:

What's even worse is that the 3DS is region-locked. Damn you, Nintendo! You always take two steps forward, and then one step back. Region locking makes absolutely no sense in this day and age.

Yeah, SMTIV has been over here since July. It makes no sense to me why it takes so long, especially if the game's in English. Perhaps Multi-5? But even then, those languages should have been translated while the game is in development already. IDK.

Either way, I'm still on Shin Megami Tensei 1 on iOS, so it'll be a looong time before I ever get to IV.

The Chocolateholic of CR

You know what REALLY Grinds My Gears?

When you ask a mechanic to fix the oven and they don't come and they make some excuse for not coming and say they will fix it in 2 days.

True Fact:This happened to me and my mom. Fucking Oven at ANY Temperature goes to 550 fucking degrees and will burn ANYTHING..... and when you open the fucker with the oven on you get HIT in the face with a heat blast.

And that is what grinds my gears.
The Dragovian King and Captain Of The Ragnarok Ship and Owner of The Ragnarok Ranch.
I'm a ♌ since 1990 of August 10th. Better Recognize.
3DS FC:2535-5065-3560

Zoinks

Pierre wrote:

I swear to God at this rate it's gonna be the Detox of jRPGs
3DS Friend Code: 5129-1407-0950

| -#courtrecords- | -Last.fm- | -Twitter- |

You know, a Mario game!

Yellow Magician wrote:
Pierre wrote:

I swear to God at this rate it's gonna be the Detox of jRPGs

Wouldn't that honor go to Mother 3?
My Twitter Account

When Gamefly is slow in sending my games and when they say there is high availability on a game yet they still send me another game on my list that I didn't want yet. :ron:

Ishimaru Kiyotaka wrote:

When Gamefly is slow in sending my games and when they say there is high availability on a game yet they still send me another game on my list that I didn't want yet. :ron:

I think that happened to me once, but also differently with Play-Asia. I put in an order for Rune Factory 4 and it was listed as available, being shipped within a week. A week later, I still hadn't gotten a sending e-mail, so I asked and they said it was currently not available. They kindly agreed to my request to cancel said order.

Actually, I think this happened twice... you know, if the 3DS wasn't REGION LOCKED I'd just buy the american version.

C-A

CatMuto wrote:
Ishimaru Kiyotaka wrote:

Actually, I think this happened twice... you know, if the 3DS wasn't REGION LOCKED I'd just buy the american version.

C-A

Thats why I love my PS3 since its region free i don't have to worry about that which Is why when I get paid this friday im gonna get J-star's VS.
Page 9 of 39 [ 1554 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 39  Next

Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Wright & Co. Law Offices