Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Wright & Co. Law Offices

Page 1 of 1[ 5 posts ]

Cosplay may become ILLEGALTopic%20Title

You've been hit by, a smooth prosecutor

Just when you thought copyright bullshit couldn't get any worse, this comes along:

https://www.publicknowledge.org/news-bl ... reme-court
:tigre:
Apparently a couple of cheerleader uniform companies are having a squabble that they've taken to the Supreme Court. The decision they make will set the standard for when clothing and costume designs can be covered by copyright, and when people mimic them.
Needless to say this affects cosplayers immensely. If the worst happens, a company like say, Disney could come after you (and you know those greedy bastards would) for making an Elsa or Skywalker costume. It wouldn't surprise me if this led to the policing of cons. Which would firmly cement their nickname as the Copyright Gestapo.
I've done a bit of cosplay myself including one that would definitely be affected by this: Eric Draven (The Crow). It goes without saying comic book characters would be targeted.

I'm not sure how the public can oppose this, but the word needs to get spread everywhere before it even happens.
Re: Cosplay may become ILLEGALTopic%20Title

Gettin' Old!

Man think of all the awesome palette swap outfits we'll get to dodge copyright.

Also I'm sceptical about whether people would actually prosecute this law. I mean cosplayers are basically free advertising, double profits if the companies take it upon themselves to sell "official" cosplay outfits.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! :gant:

That's what I would expect the Supreme Court's or any sane Judge's reaction to be to this. And yes, it's my own reaction, too. It sounds stupid and laughable and things like those are generally not considered. This'll blow over very soon and will just be worth a chuckle upon looking back. And exactly how far this would go makes one realize how ridiculous it is. Imagine someone cosplaying Leia Rolando's default attire. That's stuff you can easily obtain in stores by going for a higher dress code. Would that still be copyright infringement? What about swimsuit DLC costumes? Would they, too, be listed under copyright because they were designed for the character? Despite the swimsuits, at times, being so generic, you could find a copy of it in most stores?

C-A

Danksgiving

does that include fur suits :shoe:

The Real Human Being

Mister Gruel wrote:
does that include fur suits :shoe:

Hmm, would getting rid of furry stuff be worth losing good causeplayers?

Nah, I like good causeplay more than I dislike furries.
Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Wright & Co. Law Offices