Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Police Station

Page 1 of 6[ 228 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Underrated GamesTopic%20Title

Oh snap!

This topic is dedicated to all of the games that you feel didn't/don't get the credit they deserve. The games that become cult classics, but are never widely popular. The games that make people say "What's that? Never heard of it," or "That game sucked."

I'll start with what I hope will be a controversial choice:

Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance(GBA): Many people did not like this game. Its naysayers say that it is the worst of the modern Castlevania sidescrollers, and to be fair, they have a point. HoD is arguably the worst of the modern Castlevania sidescrollers, but that's really not saying much, is it? The modern Castlevania sidescrollers (all of the sidescrollers since Symphony of the Night) are all awesome games! True, HoD doesn't reach their level, but that doesn't stop it from being a damn fine game. It's not perfect, but in my opinion, it's still definitely worth playing for any Castlevania fan (or fans of sidescrolling/action/adventure games in general).

In the year 4016, justice is no longer fought for in the courtroom—but with giant freakin’ robots!
Re: Underrated GamesTopic%20Title

Paddy O'Reily O'Shwartzenburg

I'd say the Shadow Hearts games are pretty underrated. Sure, they've all been released stateside, but the reaction to them tends to be a little on the low side. I know they tended to garner good reviews, but the general gaming public seems to have ignored the three games (maybe the first one more than the others).

Prosecution... and ROCK

Phoenix Wright. It's the most obvious one. Nick

I dunno too many other modern games, though. I don't have the time or money to get many new games. I did get Elite Beat Agents recently, though, and am thoroughly enjoying it, though I can see why it might'nt sell well.

I seized fate by the neck alright...

Other than some of the more modern examples I've seen...
I'd have to say that the most underrated game I've seen/played/got addicted to/fangirled is Gunstar Heroes for the Sega Genesis. I've heard of very few people who actually heard of it [other than myself]. At first glance it seems like a 2D Platformer/Gunner on crack, but when one plays it, that's when it becomes one of those "cult classics".
There are no heroes left in man. Mankind is doomed by the likes of you.

Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask didn't receive the praise it deserved, but I wouldn't go complaining about it it now.

I say Zone of The Enders: The 2nd Runner. The game was beautiful, fast-paced, clever and not to mention, produced by the genius Hideo Kojima. Sequel, thanks.

And I also want to throw in Eternal Darkness, since Sanity effects = Genius.

spr fckn srs peepz

adhdgeniusmitsu wrote:
Other than some of the more modern examples I've seen...
I'd have to say that the most underrated game I've seen/played/got addicted to/fangirled is Gunstar Heroes for the Sega Genesis. I've heard of very few people who actually heard of it [other than myself]. At first glance it seems like a 2D Platformer/Gunner on crack, but when one plays it, that's when it becomes one of those "cult classics".

Gunstar Heroes underrated? HELL NO. Anyone who's played the game rates it as one of the best side-scrolling shooters of all time. Seriously, it even beats Metal Slug and the original Contra.

Underrated? The King of Fighters 2006 - As crap as it was, it doesn't deserve it's title as the second worst KoF of all time. Seriously, it was far more solid than MI1 and the 2000-2003 years.
http://vanderlund.blogspot.com - Because the only fantasy worlds I like are those I write myself.

Mister Ruffly Clothes

The Greg wrote:
This topic is dedicated to all of the games that you feel didn't/don't get the credit they deserve. The games that become cult classics, but are never widely popular. The games that make people say "What's that? Never heard of it," or "That game sucked."

I'll start with what I hope will be a controversial choice:

Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance(GBA): Many people did not like this game. Its naysayers say that it is the worst of the modern Castlevania sidescrollers, and to be fair, they have a point. HoD is arguably the worst of the modern Castlevania sidescrollers, but that's really not saying much, is it? The modern Castlevania sidescrollers (all of the sidescrollers since Symphony of the Night) are all awesome games! True, HoD doesn't reach their level, but that doesn't stop it from being a damn fine game. It's not perfect, but in my opinion, it's still definitely worth playing for any Castlevania fan (or fans of sidescrolling/action/adventure games in general).

Oh, man! HoD is one of my favourites! I don't know why, but I just like the layout of the castle so much... mmm.

I think I'll add Okami... it got great reviews, critical praise and... no one bought it. At least, no one I know.
Truth springs from argument among friends. -- Hume

seems interesting!

Quote:
(maybe the first one more than the others).
which is a shame since it's the only good one in the series.

System Shock 2, while critically acclaimed, didn't sell well.

Valhalla Knights got panned by just about every reviewer, but I like it fine.

Skies of Arcadia Legends... Easily one of the better RPG's.

stirring

Happiness Punch! wrote:
Eternal Darkness

Eternal Darkness is easily the most masturbated into Gamecube game of all time. :| Everyone loves it. I wouldn't call it underrated at all. In any way.

I'd say the Nippon Ichi RPG's, ignoring the critically acclaimed Disgaea, are generally underrated or ignored.
If you come across an older post of mine, sowwy

Superficial Narcissist

I'd have to say Wario: Master of Disguise, for the DS. Every single professional review for that game said it wasn't any good, including Nintendo Power itself, but I loved it. Hobohodo

MANLY. VERY.

^Disgaea was, interestingly enough, one of the more "meh" games Nippon Ichi's released. Okay, sure, I'll give it that "Stale Satirical Anime Humor" thing which people have multiple orgasms to, but it pales in comparison to Phantom Kingdom and Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure.

Also, this thread cannot exsist without honorable mention of Killer 7 and God Hand. Two of the better games in their respective genres. God Hand was just freaking hillarious, and Killer 7 was just something else- Interesting plotline, great graphics, awesome odd engravings..yanno. The works.
HAHA OH MAN M. VON KARMA'S BANGING HIS HEAD HAHAHA HEADBANG WOW THAT'S ORIGINAL AND FUNNY

Eagles...on pogo sticks!

Psychonauts. Hmm, actually, almost any game that Tim Schafer worked on.

MANLY. VERY.

^ Psychonauts was AWESOME. It was really funny how like..the month before it's release, it was constantly fellated by (videogame "expert" of your choice), but soon after it was released it just dropped under the radar. :L Same thing happened to Killer 7, too. HMMM.

Escape from Monkey Island was pure sex and deserves mention as well. Breathmints lol
HAHA OH MAN M. VON KARMA'S BANGING HIS HEAD HAHAHA HEADBANG WOW THAT'S ORIGINAL AND FUNNY

spr fckn srs peepz

Holy Hell wrote:
I'd say the Nippon Ichi RPG's, ignoring the critically acclaimed Disgaea, are generally underrated or ignored.

I'd disagree with you, the strat-RPGs are alright, but anything developed by GUST and published by Nippon Ichi deserves far lower than whatever the hell they're getting.
http://vanderlund.blogspot.com - Because the only fantasy worlds I like are those I write myself.

Beyond Good & Evil is a damn good adventure game (I say "adventure" in a loose, Zelda-type sense). Jet Set Radio Future really needed to be more popular, and then there's stuff like Ninja Five-O which I have no idea if anybody's ever heard of it before.

And Gungrave.
"Overall, I give it an eight out of ten, but only because it was made in China, and I am terrified of their government."

Let's see....

Beyond Good and Evil
Psychonauts
Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from butcher bay
Breakdown
Phoenix Wright
Majora's Mask
Final Fantasy IX.

stirring

Attorney Hatman wrote:
Holy Hell wrote:

I'd disagree with you, the strat-RPGs are alright, but anything developed by GUST and published by Nippon Ichi deserves far lower than whatever the hell they're getting.

Ah, I haven't played Ar Tenelico or any of the other plain old RPGs so I wouldn't know.

Comfy and easy to wear.

I thought Disgaea was kinda underrated, too. Not as much as Makai Kingdom, but I really enjoyed it and know very few people who have even heard of it.
Phoenix Wright is popular but doesn't get nearly the attention it deserves, I think.
Okami. For the reasons MitsurugiReiji gave.

And Tales of Symphonia. It was only on the GC and, for whatever reason, the Tales of games don't tend to do well outside Japan, but I absolutely adored that game to pieces. The plot is a little FFX-ish, but the graphics are beautiful, the music is wonderful and the characters are probably the best non-PW ones I've seen in a videogame. I love Raine. To pieces.

Bujingai was pretty damn over looked, its very pretty and plays well. the story lacking, but it is very fun

MANLY. VERY.

@Dannichu: Yeah, the Tales series is definetly underrated outside of Japan, but disgustingly overrated IN Japan. Tales pretty much defined what we consider to be "cliched anime rpgs" across the pond, and that's a hugeass accomplishment. Though that doesn't change the fact that the games are just plain fun, if you look past their actual..you know, plots, the majority of characters and art.

ToL was probably the most underrated one, though- It was gushing with deliciousness. It parodied Nadia: The Secret of the Blue Water in story, had KazutoFREAKINGNakazawa doing the character designs and had the best and largest number of animated cutscenes in a Tales game. Really underappreciated, even in the Tales circle.

ohman, Fanatic alert, but really. Great, great game. Excellent soundtrack, too.

Gumshoe wrote:
Let's see....
Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from butcher bay

Not to be a jerk, but I would say this is the most overrated game I've ever played. It got incredibly high reviews, sold fairly well, all while managing to be a generic shooter with terrible hit detection.

This is a list of unnoticed games; I think "unnoticed" and "underrated" means two completely different things.
Unnoticed- While critically acclaimed sales were abysmal and most people haven't played it.
Underrated- Game that didn't receive critical acclaim, and we believe it should've.

Unnoticed:
Psychonauts.
Beyond Good & Evil.
Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem.
Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit

Underrated:
Trauma Center: Under the Knife.
Contra: Shattered Soldier.
Hot Shots Golf series.

OBJECTION!er

ah, i had one.. what was it called.... lets see... Ein... Disaresta... Rose... Party full of girls... Weapons system that was interesting...

AH! Riviera: The promised land!

http://www.gamespot.com/gba/rpg/riviera ... lt;title;1

it's a game for the GBA, made by Atlus in 2005. It's a great game with an in depth story line, but it didn't get nearly the praise it deserved. It had an odd weapons system where you can have any of your four characters use a weapon, but the weapon can only be used X number of times. you also used points to look around dungeons and such. it's hard to explain, but when you actually get down and play it it's pretty good. whats even better is the secret videos at the hot springs, though Sal

Paddy O'Reily O'Shwartzenburg

The original Disgaea is way too much of a powerhouse to be considered underatted--it has figures, plush toys, an anime, manga, and it was just reworked into a PSP game. The other NIS strategy RPGs though tend to get short shift for NOT being Disgaea, like La Puccelle, Makai Kingdom, Phantom Brave, and even Disgaea 2 to an extent.

FFIX and Majora Mask
They are famous,but people don't like them for stupid reasons
The clock system in MM and the slow battles in FFIX (not a stupid reason,but it wasn't THAT slow,and the story is great)

Also,FFTA. Just because it's not good as FFT doesn't make it a crappy game,really

Oh,and the MMBN series as a whole

MANLY. VERY.

LTM360 wrote:
Indigo Prophecy

Mos' def. It was an extremely grabbing game, one of the few which I seriously got connected to the main characters. And..really, any game where you can take asprin with alcohol deserves a huge thumbs-up. (y)

@Mastermind: I've heard sooo many people whine about FFTA it's not even funny. The worst part is that the people that moan about it are the very same people who constantly masturbate to FFT! You know, the ones that go ";A; RAAAMMMZAAAAAASADASDA OTL" all the time. FFT wasn't even that good in terms of the story-Oh man! Hey, guys! Let's explore the relations between nobles and commoners! Oh, wait? That could actually prove to be interesting. HMM..OK! I got an idea! Let's moan over some gayass crystals! Hmm! Interesting! Let's put some blatantly obvious lesbians in there too! FANTASTIC! FFTA improved on that by making the story even more of a minor focus, and adding more races, jobs and improving on exsisting jobs! :|

stirring

LunaticCrow wrote:
Mastermind: I've heard sooo many people whine about FFTA it's not even funny. The worst part is that the people that moan about it are the very same people who constantly masturbate to FFT! You know, the ones that go ";A; RAAAMMMZAAAAAASADASDA OTL" all the time. FFT wasn't even that good in terms of the story-Oh man! Hey, guys! Let's explore the relations between nobles and commoners! Oh, wait? That could actually prove to be interesting. HMM..OK! I got an idea! Let's moan over some gayass crystals! Hmm! Interesting! Let's put some blatantly obvious lesbians in there too! FANTASTIC! FFTA improved on that by making the story even more of a minor focus, and adding more races, jobs and improving on exsisting jobs! :|

FFT had a great story. FFTA was a disgrace.

I'd say the .hack series, had a big impact at one but no one followed it though to the end.

Also anything by Nippon as someone else said, Phantom Brave was awesome.

seems interesting!

Quote:
it's a game for the GBA, made by Atlus in 2005. It's a great game with an in depth story line, but it didn't get nearly the praise it deserved.

Dude, are you kidding? Riviera was rated pretty high. What's stupid about it is Riviera is a crappy Unlimited Saga, and people loved it for the same reasons they hated U.Saga.

OBJECTION!er

zuddha wrote:
Quote:
it's a game for the GBA, made by Atlus in 2005. It's a great game with an in depth story line, but it didn't get nearly the praise it deserved.

Dude, are you kidding? Riviera was rated pretty high. What's stupid about it is Riviera is a crappy Unlimited Saga, and people loved it for the same reasons they hated U.Saga.

I know, i know, i went back to Gamespot and saw that it had gotten a 9.0. what i meant to say was that it didn't get as much publicity as it deserved, because many gamers i know hadn't heard of it before i showed it to them. hell, the guys at my local EB didn't even know they carried it. o.o;

spr fckn srs peepz

zuddha wrote:
Quote:

And this is exactly what happens when you have an established franchise making a title that is different, and a new franchise.

Most concerned citizen out there.

LTM360 wrote:
Unnoticed:
Psychonauts.
Beyond Good & Evil.
Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem.
>Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit<

I WANT TO PLAY THAT GAME!! Is it also for the PS2?

And I noticed no one mentioned the first Parasite Eve. That's pretty underrated.

Is it safe to say that Haunting Grounds is also underrated? I kind of like that game.
Xbox Live: LadyDuoMaxwell

One feathered Tail

I agree it was underrated, as I also liked it, and only heard about it by chance one day. However, it isn't a blockbuster by any means. It's great and I do give you that,
"Love Song for Horton #437"

The DS version of Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory. I wrote a review on it, so I'll just let that do the talking:
http://www.gamespot.com/ds/action/splin ... ?id=444591
If you are reading this, then you're not illiterate.

spr fckn srs peepz

Holy Hell wrote:
Attorney Hatman wrote:
Holy Hell wrote:

Ah, I haven't played Ar Tenelico or any of the other plain old RPGs so I wouldn't know.

Here's a tip : DON'T.

I played through Ar tonelico. Everything is fine and dandy, but it's just so generic you'll feel as though you played through this. It's also easier than Mystic Quest.

EDIT :

Underrated? God Hand. Crap reviews all over, yet it was the game that entertained me most of the entire 2006 year. I literally could not stop playing until I completed the goals I set to myself, and I really felt like I had to adapt to the difficulty of the game. In addition to the soundtrack (Masafumi Takada is my new game music idol) and the humor being so off-kilter that you simply don't expect those kind of things in video games.

Honestly, most of the reviews I've seen for God Hand were pretty good, except the IGN one. I haven't played God Hand, but I am interested.
If you are reading this, then you're not illiterate.

Call me Ojou-sama!

Shadow Hearts and Shadow hearts 2...
Great story and battle system but no one plays it...

spr fckn srs peepz

gamefan06 wrote:
Honestly, most of the reviews I've seen for God Hand were pretty good, except the IGN one. I haven't played God Hand, but I am interested.

Do you like hard games?

Do you like ball-bustingly hard games?

Do you like hard, but fair games?

Other than shilling the taglines of the game, these are the questions you need to ask yourself. 'cause it's really hard, and the controls don't help at the beginning... even though you grow into them intuitively later on.

Soooooo not a Nazi!

Trauma Center is a game that wasn't bought a lot (at least in its DS form...)
:badger: = awesomeness

ROCK AND ROLL! HIGH SPEED!

Location: Inside Edgey's closet. Shhhh! Don't tell him I'm here!

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney.

I had such a hard time finding it that I ended up finding it in a store that also had GS2 for the DS (that really ought to tell you something).

And my friends were able to find PW:JFA no problem, but they're having such a hard time finding places that stock PW: AA!
My art thread!
My sprite thread! Calando in progress
Phoenix Wright and co.:Ace Mythbusters! Myth 2 finished
First AA fanfic: Childhood Turnabout (finished)
And my devart site
My billboard signature! *gets pelted with tomatoes*
Page 1 of 6 [ 228 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Police Station