Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Police Station

Page 10 of 13[ 502 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Re: Fire Emblem seriesTopic%20Title

元・超会社員級の管理人

CoolFencer wrote:
I'm so pumped for Fates! As of this post its 7 (at least I think it is) days until it comes out in the states! I'm a huge FE fan and it's probably my 2nd favorite video game franchise ever (number 1 is ace attorney duh.) But I honestly don't know what version to chose. I want a physical copy of the game because I'm a weird with the fact that I love having the game box and a the game itself to display so I was thinking of buying one of the versions first and then buying the other after I finish the first as a digital download for a reduced price as the website says ( or I could throw 80 bucks away for both physical copies :nick-sweat: or go the just buy a digital copy I guess. :think-pw:) my main point is making the big choice in the store or on your system but without a actual copy. Any thoughts?

Yeah, it's disappointing you kind of have to decide ahead of time. The JP version had a digital version where you weren't locked into a campaign until you made your choice for the first time, but they seem to have replaced that with two separate digital version in the international release.

I laid out some of the differences above, so ultimately I'd boil it down to: Birthright is more like Awakening, Conquest more like the older FEs. If you're sure you're going to buy both, then just pick the one with boxart you like and download the other path at a discount.

Franzise Deauxnim wrote:
Are bows any better than they were in Awakening?

Because man, were bows ever terrible in Awakening

Conquest has a grand total of two natural bow users (three if you count one's daughter), so it's a bit hard to say. They're not great, but I feel like they're a bit better than Awakening (they also have more specialized options here, like ones good against horses or monsters.) If you're playing Birthright though they're slightly buffed because all Hoshidan bows give +2 res inherently.

That's all talking about the player, by the way. Enemies with bows in Conquest will happily be carrying a mountain of skills to ruin your day. My personal favorite: the boss sniper sitting in a ballista with a skill to let him attack at 1 range with his weapon. Or the other boss fight with a 1-4 range bow!
Hi! I've largely stepped back from C-R due to life stuff. Please contact one of the other staff members for help!

Wooster wrote:
If there was such a thing as the "Wooster Seal of Approval", this post would get it.

Gettin' Old!

Never felt bows were that bad to be honest.

Hope the critical animations are decidedly better though.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

I am the swordsman of justice!

[quote] I laid out some of the differences above, so ultimately I'd boil it down to: Birthright is more like Awakening, Conquest more like the older FEs. If you're sure you're going to buy both, then just pick the one with boxart you like and download the other path at a discount.[quote]

Yeah I've heard that. I liked Awakening but my personal favorite is Path of Radiance so maybe I just might have to go with conquest. I still don't know though.
I was trying to think of a question while I was objecting, I didn't
- Edgeworth

Gettin' Old!

I dunno the only difference that jumps to mind is the one where you can't grind.

To me that just seems objectively worse than Birthright.

Like I expect if word got out people would just but birthright.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

ASCEND

Personally, I'm getting Birthright first. Mainly just because that one's supposed to be easier, which would be helpful since Fates is only my second Fire Emblem game.
Vesti and Lauren's Interdimensional Investigations
This CYOA follows Vesti Gates and Lauren Tehra, two detectives who search for the truth, whether in their own dimension or otherwise.

In Justice We Trust

I'll probably play through Birthright first to help me get used to any new mechanics, but out of the three, it's the one I'm least looking forward to. My sister went through a Japanophile phase when they were younger, which led to me being more jaded when it comes to Japanese-styled story elements. Since Hoshido is pretty much an idealized Japan, my interest was low right off the bat.
I'll always love you, Max.

元・超会社員級の管理人

Pierre wrote:
I dunno the only difference that jumps to mind is the one where you can't grind.

To me that just seems objectively worse than Birthright.

Like I expect if word got out people would just but birthright.

It's about challenge, I suppose. Conquest has notably more complex map design and enemy loadouts, which coupled with the lack of grinding opportunities makes things much more like the classic FEs. Resource management becomes very important, as does evenly spreading experience around and prioritizing your units.

The flipside of this is that some of the changes Awakening introduced - primarily the kids - don't always mesh well with that style of gameplay. The kids in particular only half-work; though they and their sidequests now scale to where you are in the game, unless you recruit a bunch at once it can be hard to justify swapping in units with limited support opportunities. Not to mention the kids are now roughly as strong as any other unit you might recruit, rather than potentially much stronger than their parents like in Awakening, which makes it harder to justify using them. (I'm most likely going to only be using two kids in my final party of 15-16 units.)

But still - in terms of game design and offering a more challenging experience, there's an argument to be made for a no-grind campaign.

All that said, this is likely part of the reason Conquest has no totally exclusive units - everyone in Conquest can eventually be recruited in one or both of Birthright and Revelation (mostly Revelation), whereas Birthright and Revelation have a unit or two that are completely exclusive. So if there's a Conquest unit you desperately want to train up but can't justify it in a limited-resources game, you can do it on another path where you're free to train them.
Hi! I've largely stepped back from C-R due to life stuff. Please contact one of the other staff members for help!

Wooster wrote:
If there was such a thing as the "Wooster Seal of Approval", this post would get it.

Pierre wrote:

There was pretty much zero reason to use a weapon that doesn't let you attack or counterattack an enemy right next to you when every other weapon type had at least one ranged option; being stronger against flying units doesn't balance out that weakness

Add to that the fact that none of the archer classes had particularly good skills and yeah, Virion and Noire got class changed real quick in my game

Gettin' Old!

Franzise Deauxnim wrote:
Pierre wrote:

There was pretty much zero reason to use a weapon that doesn't let you attack or counterattack an enemy right next to you when every other weapon type had at least one ranged option; being stronger against flying units doesn't balance out that weakness

Add to that the fact that none of the archer classes had particularly good skills and yeah, Virion and Noire got class changed real quick in my game

Hmm I suppose I hadn't thought about it that way. The range 3 bow was pretty nice and if a class can use a melee weapon too (like Warrior) you could always use the Trade trick to shoot and then re-equip a melee weapon.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Sure, but if you do that, the enemy will just hit you with a ranged attack. If you stick with the bow, they'll walk up and punch you in the face.

Longbows were neat but I think only Snipers could use them, which meant you had no other weapon options

idk, I guess bows weren't so much "bad" as "not worth the trouble." I don't like giving the enemy a chance to hit me for free, unpunishable damage if I can help it

Gettin' Old!

Franzise Deauxnim wrote:
Sure, but if you do that, the enemy will just hit you with a ranged attack. If you stick with the bow, they'll walk up and punch you in the face.

Longbows were neat but I think only Snipers could use them, which meant you had no other weapon options

idk, I guess bows weren't so much "bad" as "not worth the trouble." I don't like giving the enemy a chance to hit me for free, unpunishable damage if I can help it

Not if you switch to say...a hand axe which gives you the defensive option.

But I don't know, I don't think it's a fault as much as a natural strength. It's just all part of the tactics side of it and where you position your people. Normally I'd block off access to my ranged classes after using them to nullify the need for a defensive measure that wasn't ranged.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

So apparently "skinship" isn't completely out; you can pat your lover's (S rank) face to wake them up

☆☆☆ Kira ☆☆☆

Franzise Deauxnim wrote:
So apparently "skinship" isn't completely out; you can pat your lover's (S rank) face to wake them up

It's just not the saaaaaaaame.
I'm Blak, and I have shit taste.

元・超会社員級の管理人

Welp, game's out in English now! And I'm still not quite done in Conquest. (Freakin' wave of generals and berserkers at the end of a level...)

Wooster wrote:

Do you see the black one...or the white?

I had pre-ordered the Fates Special Edition from Best Buy online, but got an e-mail yesterday saying it was delayed for me until the middle of March.

Today, they e-mailed me saying that because it was pre-ordered, they're going to do their best and get it to me sooner than that, and gave me a gift card for $20, which I used to finally buy the Layton x Ace Attorney cross-over. So while I don't have Fates, I'm quite pleased with how Best Buy treats their customers and honestly, I didn't expect that much. So despite not having the game yet, I'd say this day turned out pretty great. And I did get the Fates New 3DS on launch day, so there's that. =)
On April 3, 2016, Court Records Forums experienced a miracle upon that day.
CatMuto wrote:
Pierre wrote:
Man...that looks dull...this actually makes me worried for KH3 (since that team worked on the battle system)

I feel the same

Gettin' Old!

dullahan1 wrote:
I had pre-ordered the Fates Special Edition from Best Buy online, but got an e-mail yesterday saying it was delayed for me until the middle of March.

Today, they e-mailed me saying that because it was pre-ordered, they're going to do their best and get it to me sooner than that, and gave me a gift card for $20, which I used to finally buy the Layton x Ace Attorney cross-over. So while I don't have Fates, I'm quite pleased with how Best Buy treats their customers and honestly, I didn't expect that much. So despite not having the game yet, I'd say this day turned out pretty great. And I did get the Fates New 3DS on launch day, so there's that. =)

Yeah all in all that sounds like come really good customer compensation on their part.

Impressed you were able to get PLvsPW for only 20 though.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Do you see the black one...or the white?

Well, I had to pay about ten dollars of my own money, but since the gift card was only good for a month, I felt that now was a good time as any to purchase the game.
On April 3, 2016, Court Records Forums experienced a miracle upon that day.
CatMuto wrote:
Pierre wrote:
Man...that looks dull...this actually makes me worried for KH3 (since that team worked on the battle system)

I feel the same

Gettin' Old!

dullahan1 wrote:
Well, I had to pay about ten dollars of my own money, but since the gift card was only good for a month, I felt that now was a good time as any to purchase the game.

Ah that seems more like it xD They get to wring a little extra Money out of you with an well placed tactical voucher.

I'll need to get a mosey on an clear some of my repertoire for Fates and Bravely Second
Made by Chesu+Zombee

ASCEND

When Amazon's pre-order got delayed, they extended my Amazon Prime membership by a month for free. So yeah, they're nice to their customers as well.
This CYOA follows Vesti Gates and Lauren Tehra, two detectives who search for the truth, whether in their own dimension or otherwise.

ok seriously how the fuck are you supposed to beat Chapter 5 when it's
Spoiler:
you as a dragon and four other characters that easily get one-shotted by the enemy, three of which either can't attack or are so weak as they might as well not be able to

versus three enemies with wyrmslayers and a bunch of mages

playing on Hard but still, I thought Birthright was supposed to be the "easy" version :ron:

1000% Knight

Franzise Deauxnim wrote:
playing on Hard but still, I thought Birthright was supposed to be the "easy" version :ron:

Aren't they the same until chapter 6, tho?
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

I have no idea

All I know is this is pretty much impossible

Spoiler:
Tried different configurations and literally the only one who can kill an enemy without getting killed back is Corrin

The paired Wyrmslayer enemies next to the mages at the bottom are the problem

There's no way to get one to approach without triggering the others

Even if I could manage to kill the Wyrmslayers by giving Corrin an extra attack through singing, the mages would just run in and kill her after that

ASCEND

I just got this game. I'm already at Chapter Nine or something. It's been a while since I've played a Fire Emblem game.

Maybe it's just that I'm playing on Normal, but I didn't really have a problem with Chapter 5...

Also, didn't they say something about the Paralogues scaling to your level? Or is that only in Conquest. Because the Paralogue where you get the Avatar's son seems like its above my level. I haven't been able to beat it yet.

Yeah there's quite a difficulty jump from Normal to Hard, I restarted on Normal and pretty much steamrolled through the first five chapters (only almost lost someone in Ch 4 because I got really careless)

In Justice We Trust

I'm starting off on Normal-Casual difficulty so I can get used to the new mechanics without feeling like punching a hole in the wall whenever my failure to grasp a new mechanic gets someone killed. The fact that I'm starting out on Birthright also helps with that. Chapter 13 is the most recent story mission I've completed, though I also recently finished Paralogue 5.

I like Azura's English singing voice, so that's a relief. It does bother me that the English version of her song sometimes puts the stress on the wrong syllable of a word, though. Just a pet peeve of mine when it comes to poetry and songs.

So here's my input on this store is nice to you debate. I got the game on launch day but not the way I wanted to. I was dumb and didn't pre order, not thinking of what a hit it would be, and was planning on using all the GameStop gift cards I acquired over Christmas to by it. But when I got there, literally 10 minutes after opening, I found all of the copies gone! All were bought for preorder the guy said. He told me the next load couldn't be for a while so I just spent the cards on Eshop cards to buy the game digital. It's not the stores fault, but it does make me a bit disappointed I couldn't get the game in a physical copy.

However, despite that "problem" mentioned above I'm playing the game now and I really really like it so far! I've reached chapter 6 as of today but saved and ended so I can think about the choice.

As for the chapter 5 conversation I thought it was actually pretty easy but I am playing normal/classic mode. Don't worry about the Wryumslayer (or however you spell it) guys. Dragon rage is such a powerful move it destroyed almost all the enemies in one hit weapon advantage or not!

Anyway that's all I have to say. :phoenix:
- Edgeworth

Last edited by CoolFencer on Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gettin' Old!

CoolFencer wrote:
So here's my input on this store is nice to you debate. I got the game on launch day but not the way I wanted too. I was dumb and didn't pre order not thinking of what a hit it would be and was planning on using all the GameStop gift cards I acquired over Christmas to by it but when I got there literally 10 minutes after opening and found all of the copies gone! All were bought for preorder the guy said and he told me the next load couldn't be for a while so I just spent the cards on Eshop cards to buy the game digital. It's not the stores fault, but it does make me a bit disappointed I couldn't get the game in a physical copy.

However, despite that "problem mentioned above I'm playing the game now and I really really like it so far! I've reached chapter 6 as of today but saved and ended so I can think about the choice.

As for the chapter 5 conversation I thought it was actually pretty easy but I am playing normal/classic mode. Don't worry about the Wryumslayer (or however you spell it) guys. Dragon rage is such a powerful move it destroyed almost all the enemies in one hit weapon advantage or not!

Hey you managed to get a choice? Were you able to pick up a limited edition copy from the shop after they sold out of copies?
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Pierre wrote:
CoolFencer wrote:
So here's my input on this store is nice to you debate. I got the game on launch day but not the way I wanted too. I was dumb and didn't pre order not thinking of what a hit it would be and was planning on using all the GameStop gift cards I acquired over Christmas to by it but when I got there literally 10 minutes after opening and found all of the copies gone! All were bought for preorder the guy said and he told me the next load couldn't be for a while so I just spent the cards on Eshop cards to buy the game digital. It's not the stores fault, but it does make me a bit disappointed I couldn't get the game in a physical copy.

However, despite that "problem mentioned above I'm playing the game now and I really really like it so far! I've reached chapter 6 as of today but saved and ended so I can think about the choice.

Hey you managed to get a choice? Were you able to pick up a limited edition copy from the shop after they sold out of copies?

Well, the Eshop in America does not run it the same way as Japans I found out. Its work the same way as physical copies. There are 2 versions still and you buy one for 40$ (I bought Conquest) then at chapter 6 I have the choice between conquest and birthright, but if I choose birthright I will be taken to the Eshop and will be able to it for 20$. There for, I bought 60$ worth of Eshop cards in case so I could choose later in stead of then. I wound think it's the same system for physical copies, but don't quote me on that :gymshoe:

I wish! But I didn't see any special editions there. My guess is that they were all out of stock from preorders too.
- Edgeworth

That's indeed how physical copies work as well. In my case, I got the DLC code for Conquest from GS when I picked up my physical game so I could get the keychains, but I couldn't actually use the code until after I made the choice since the code needs to be entered at the Dragon Gate.

also it seems like Conquest path is sort of like going the Genocide route as it's clearly the "wrong" decision to go back to the obviously evil King Ganon Garon and the only reason to do so would be to just "see what happens"

Gettin' Old!

Franzise Deauxnim wrote:
That's indeed how physical copies work as well. In my case, I got the DLC code for Conquest from GS when I picked up my physical game so I could get the keychains, but I couldn't actually use the code until after I made the choice since the code needs to be entered at the Dragon Gate.

also it seems like Conquest path is sort of like going the Genocide route as it's clearly the "wrong" decision to go back to the obviously evil King Ganon Garon and the only reason to do so would be to just "see what happens"

Ugh it's such a bloody filthy tactic. The "illusion" of choice in a game.

Also damn about Conquest being the "evil" side. I already agreed I'd get that and trade with my girlfriend on the ground that I won't mind playing as Romans whereas she really wants to play as Samurai. Then again I suppose it is evident in the name..."Conquest" isn't especially a positive term.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

☆☆☆ Kira ☆☆☆

Still waiting for my SE to come in the mail. Fucking Gamestop and their not free long ass shipping compared to Amazon and Bestbuy's free release date shipping >.>
I'm Blak, and I have shit taste.

In Justice We Trust

The more I hear about Conquest being the "evil" choice, the more I want to be done with Birthright and get started on it. If the developers really did drop the ball as far as Conquest's plot is concerned, then there are things I could stand to learn from their mistakes.

Ace Explorer

The funny thing about Conquest being the 'evil' route is
Spoiler: Up to Chapter 18 in Conquest
from what I can tell, the only especially evil characters in Nohr are Garon, Hans, and Iago. Which makes sense considering Hans and Iago are only following Garon's orders, and Garon apparently isn't even really Garon.

...Yeah, it's kind of a cop-out.

Also, Mozu is an adorable, badass Sniper.
Well? Are we going or what?

ASCEND

Franzise Deauxnim wrote:

From what I've heard Conquest is about defeating Garondorf and reforming Nohr from the inside, instead of takin over the entire universe and beating up everybody. At least that's what people on some other forum were saying.

idk, turning your back on Hoshido so you can overthrow the king of Nohr on your own seems a lot dumber than trying to repel an invasion with a whole nation on your side

I got to chapter 6 and was about to make my decision but then I thought for a second, and considered my options, and saved and turned of the game so I can really think about both sides before choosing one. For me, as a experienced FE player, either side will be good for me play style wise so for me it all comes down to each sides morals and characters and how I feel about those two things. I agree with what it seems most of you guys think about conquest, that only King Garon is evil and your friends and siblings are just, well, influenced, for lack of a better term. My main reason for choosing Nohr (if I choose them) would be the chance to save everyone from Garons corruption and show them it's ok to stand up for him, and if I don't choose Nohr then the chance to help is gone and that's one of my many reasons of why I needed to stop and think. To think about if I should commit to that idea or not. To try and save a EVIL kingdom! It would have to come down how I feel about everyone there enough to want to save them. Call me crazy but one absolute must in a video game for me is like able characters, and that's one of the reasons why I like Ace Attorney and Fire Emblem, there like able charecters. I better stop talking now about these 2 games or I'll go on forever! I mean I've already gone half way there! :gymshoe:
- Edgeworth

元・超会社員級の管理人

A brief summary of Conquest Endgame on Hard/Classic:

Also, the story is Conquest is preeeeeeety bad. Some hilariously transparent plot devices. But the gameplay is on point.

Now back to seeing if I can break through to the boss before the infinite reinforcements catch up to me...

Wooster wrote:

So has anyone else been thinking about buying both conquest and birthright and playing them alternately? I just thought about that but am not sure if I should do it. If I were to do it, my main fear would be the magic of choice and what comes with it would be gone. But it would be nice. Anyone have any thoughts? :phoenix:
- Edgeworth

元・超会社員級の管理人

I've heard of a couple people doing that. As long as you're fine with going from using a unit one chapter and then fighting them the next, go for it. Just don't bother to buy physical copies of Birthright/Conquest unless you're really a collector - it's cheaper to buy the second path as DLC, plus there's a few save bonuses you can carry over.

Also, I just finished Conquest, the final few turns looking roughly like this:

Wooster wrote:

Gettin' Old!

Bolt Storm wrote:
I've heard of a couple people doing that. As long as you're fine with going from using a unit one chapter and then fighting them the next, go for it. Just don't bother to buy physical copies of Birthright/Conquest unless you're really a collector - it's cheaper to buy the second path as DLC, plus there's a few save bonuses you can carry over.

Also, I just finished Conquest, the final few turns looking roughly like this:

Do the save bonuses carry over if you use a physical cart? I plan on trading with my girlfriend
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Page 10 of 13 [ 502 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Police Station