Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Police Station

Page 48 of 48[ 1897 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48

Re: Dangan-RonpaTopic%20Title

Yabba Dabba Doo

Finished up V3. Just gotta watch the anime now.

Overall, it was fun. The main cast doesn't stack up to DR2's and lacks the memorability of DR1's, but in terms of general enjoyment and competency they definitely stand out. There was no one that I particularly disliked, something that can't be said about DR1 and DR2.

The gameplay is much nicer too, although I'm not a fan of them swapping the PC controls around. Maybe this is just my computer being dumb, but there was a lot of input lag for some reason. It ranged from somewhat annoying (text boxes not advancing) to game-breaking (keys not being registered for Argument Armament), so that kinda sucked.

I was pleasantly surprised to see that most of the new additions were actually text/debate-based, rather than dumb minigames. Perjury is a really fun way to open up trials, given the different routes you can take. I didn't even know I had taken a back route until after the trial once. Scrum Debate is hype as all hell, albeit underused. I wish we had seen it more. Mass Panic Debate doesn't really add too much, but it's still good fun. Hangman's Gambit is still dumb, but at least it's not infuriatingly annoying like it was in DR2. Mind Mine is completely pointless. Whoever designed Psyche Taxi had to be tripping on just about every single drug known to mankind, because my god is that shit weird. It's completely pointless just like Logic Dive, and it trades the more entertaining gameplay of Logic Dive for the trippy atmosphere. So, eh, it's alright for the LSD factor alone. Argument Armament is by far the best rhythm game of the 3.

Spoiler: Characters
I'll start off with an unpopular one: I don't care much for Kaede...as a protagonist. The twist that she was the culprit was mind-boggling and super cool, and as a character she's great, but as a protagonist? Ehh. It was nice to play as a female protag, but in terms of personality she didn't really stand out that much for me. Granted, neither did Makoto nor Hajime, but they're not particularly interesting either. Her taking charge at the start was pretty cool, but beyond that it just felt like a generic "yeah go team" type of thing. Her focus on the mastermind in V3-1 got annoying pretty fast too, although in hindsight that was meant to set up her downfall. Her execution is right up there with Leon's in creepy factor too. Hanging always gives me the heebie-jeebies, so I was rather uncomfortable during her execution, which is a good thing. Great first culprit, mediocre protag.

Shuichi is the opposite. I didn't care for him much at all in V3-1, but after finishing the game he's my favorite protag of the bunch. Having him be set up as this competent dude in the first chapter only for his logic and confidence to collapse on him entirely kickstarted his story quite well. We lost out on connecting with him as the player though, which is by far his biggest flaw. If you can't stop picturing him as a 3rd party rather than the main character, then good luck being into him. I got over it fairly quickly though, and Shuichi's arc of facing the truth works really well with the whole "Truth and Lies" theme.

Rantaro's fine. He's not a particularly interesting character, and I called him as the first victim almost immediately. But him being set up as the key to take down the mastermind was a fun callback to DR1. Still, he could've used a bit more personality.

God damn Ryoma's motive video was sad. I haven't felt this bad for a victim since Chihiro. Poor dude just gave up on life. He deserved better. It's weird that he's one of the more depressing characters, since his design is just fucking wack. He looks like a bootleg Small World mannequin. When I first saw him, and then heard his voice, I just fucking lost it. How they managed to turn such a dumb looking guy into the most depressing victim is beyond me.

Kirumi's meh. No strong opinion on her. I get why she killed Ryoma, but I don't exactly have any sympathy for her. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Her execution was insane though, holy shit was that unsettling.

Angie is another victim I saw coming from a mile away. The moment the cult shit started up, I knew she was already on her way out. Her Atua shtick got old, but it made chapter 3 fun, so I'll give her that. Her FTE's and Love Hotel event with Shuichi are so god damn funny too, if only for the pre-pubescent screams Shuichi makes. I lost it at the Love Hotel event for her.

I liked Tenko. No strong opinion on her. She's a solid character all around. She took the fall for Himiko too to prevent the Loli from dying early, so props to her for that. She drew a bad hand though. Didn't deserve her death in the slightest.

I couldn't believe my eyes when the case 3 killer was revealed: my initial pick for favorite character wasn't the case 3 killer! The curse is broken! Korekiyo's design is sick, and he was on Gundham level of awesome. But then he got turned into an incestuous serial killer. One of the dumbest motives yet. It just comes out of nowhere, and makes Tenko's death absolutely pointless, because Kiyo had to do it "for his lover (ewww)". His sister salting him to death was so damn satisfying. Still, his seance plan was pretty cool, albeit pretty easy to get caught in. But, it did give us SEESAW EFFECT, so I won't complain. Meme god Kiyo for the win.

I don't really understand Miu's popularity. She's got a lot of fun quips here and there, but beyond that she's just...kinda there. She helps out with making shit, but her character is pretty empty. She just feels like a much worse executed Sayaka. I wasn't really anticipating her death, but when she was found dead it was just one of those "oh ok" type of moments for me. I dunno, maybe I'm missing something here.

Oh, Gonta. I was so sure you'd make it through the buff guy dies 4th curse. Fuck you Kokichi. While I don't have much sympathy for Gonta committing the crime, I felt so fucking bad indicting him. Having him lose his memory made that trial so depressing. It was like convicting a little kid of murder when the kid didn't even know he did it. Gonta was the ultimate good boy.

Kokichi can fuck off and die in a hole. Great character, but fuck him. I liked his dual nature of being helpful and being an insufferable cunt, but I still prefer Nagito. Kokichi was unpredictable, but you could always count on him to be a piece of shit. Nagito didn't have that. Hell, even Nagito's final plan was more interesting than Kokichi's. Kokichi wanting to take down Monokuma was interesting, but I never really felt any sympathy for the fucker. Nagito, as much as I hate him, is a different story. However, Kokichi has "It's a lie!" going for him, so he gets major props in the comedy department.

Oh, Kaito...this is what I wanted Hiro to be. Kaito is dumb, but his big heart makes up for it. His stalwart belief in everyone is a great contrast to Shuichi trying to face the truth. And him killing Kokichi in order to both get back at Monokuma AND protect Maki was a great sendoff for him. Him dying as he made it to space rather than submitting to Monokuma's execution was so god damn emotional too.

Remember when I said that my initial pick for favorite character finally wasn't the chapter 3 killer? Yeah, that's because they were the fucking mastermind. I liked Tsumugi a lot initially, but she pretty quickly fell behind the pack given how irrelevant she was. I didn't think she was the mastermind due to there only being 5 living people left (I didn't think they'd dip below 5 for survivors) but when Shuichi brought up the alibis for Rantaro's murder, I instantly knew it was her. Still, even after being revealed, she's...remarkably plain, wordplay intended. She's just generic psycho. I didn't even fell that much happiness in taking her down, she just kinda died off. Still, at least she made use of her ultimate talent as the mastermind (Unlike Junko).

Keebo's...meh. I liked him well enough before the final chapter, but his whole "we need HOPE" thing got pretty old. Thank god Shuichi called him out on his bullshit. But, beyond chapter 6, Keebo's pretty bland. Generic cool guy. Not much else.

Himiko is adorable and anyone that disagrees is objectively wrong. Never in a million years would I predict her as a survivor (out of only 3 survivors, no less) but thank god she did. She's so god damn pure. Her living on for Tenko and Angie, and trying so hard to be helpful in the final investigation, made my heart so damn happy.

Maki's probably my favorite of the three "main heroine" characters. I like Kyoko and Chiaki a lot, but neither of them ever really strayed off the calm and collected path, something that Maki most definitely did. When she was revealed as the Ultimate Assassin I knew right away that she'd be a survivor, but I wasn't expecting her to have such an emotional storyline. Her desperation to save Kaito and take down Kokichi really made chapter 5 stand out IMO.

Whoever made the decision to add the Monokubs needs to be fired. My god do they suck. They serve absolutely no purpose whatsoever besides being annoying shits. The only one worth a damn is Monotaro, with him helping the crew in chapter 4. Not only that, but WHY WERE THEY IN THE EXECUTIONS?! Nothing beats watching an emotional execution of a kind-hearted guy get executed for a crime he didn't even know he committed with two Monokubs giving birth to an incest baby in the background. It completely ruins the immersion and takes away from how depraved these executions are. They also take time away from Monokuma, who's infinitely better.

Spoiler: All cases
Chapter 1 was one hell of a start. Having Kaede as the culprit felt a bit cheap with the info being hidden from us, but the reveal of her as the culprit was jaw dropping. Chapter 2 was easy to figure out, but my god did the trial take forever to get there. Chapter 3 was a lot of fun, but ruined by the stupid motive. Chapter 4 was also incredibly easy to figure out, but it took fucking forever for the characters to catch up. Chapter 5 was great, no complains there. Chapter 6 was alright, although the ending was a bit too much of a heel turn.

And, because why not, here's a quickly thrown together ranking of all the chapters.

Spoiler: all games
1. 2-5
2. 3-5
3. 2-2
4. 1-2
5. 3-1
6. 2-4
7. 2-1
8. 3-4
9. 3-6
10. 1-4
11. 1-6
12. 3-2
13. 1-1
14. 1-5
15. 2-3
16. 3-3
17. 1-3
18. 2-6

Happy Maria

I guess these are the quality posts that DR deserves

What's a Court Records?

Being completely honest, V3 is the best one.
Why am I even here?

YouTube Twitter Tumblr Steam Discord

Rehncohro wrote:
Being completely honest, V3 is the best one.

Is it because of the big reveal?

Spoiler: Big Spoiler of Danganronpa V3
The fact that it's not 'real', but just a TV show and has so many seasons because people kept demanding one? Which is basically the company shoving a huge middle finger into the fanbase's face for demanding, and enjoying, and even wanting to participate in, a situation where kids kill each other?

That one was neat.

Happy Maria

I think v3's ending is bad and kinda pretentious but I liked chapters 1, 2 and 5 even if I wasn't fond of the cast at all so it's definitely okay as far as DR games go.

v3 had my least favorite cast tbh, with Amami's being one of the best characters just for being really good looking. Ending... I don't really care about, as that was just an excuse by the creators to not make more Danganronpa. DR2 wound up being my favorite.

What's a Court Records?

Lone wrote:
Ending... I don't really care about, as that was just an excuse by the creators to not make more Danganronpa.

Yeah, V3's ending was pretty insulting ngl. Also, I believe it has been confirmed that Danganronpa is actually just on a break. When it was said V3 would be the last, I always interpreted that as the "last one Kodaka would work on".
Why am I even here?

What's a Court Records?

Rehncohro wrote:
Also, I believe it has been confirmed that Danganronpa is actually just on a break.

It's just been confirmed that they're working on something related to Danganronpa: Source
Why am I even here?

Yeah, says they're "planning various things for DR's 10th anniversary". Too vague to say what, doesn't necessarily mean a game.

What's a Court Records?

Lone wrote:
Yeah, says they're "planning various things for DR's 10th anniversary". Too vague to say what, doesn't necessarily mean a game.

It's entirely possible it's something else, but I think most of us are expecting a game. And if it is a game, I'm kinda expecting a non-canon spin-off.
Why am I even here?

迷探偵

*Hopes volume 7/probably final volume of the Kirigiri novels is finally released*
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

ASCEND

WAIT the first Danganronpa game came out in 2010?? That just totally blew my mind. I feel like I never heard a single thing about it until a few years ago.
Vesti and Lauren's Interdimensional Investigations
This CYOA follows Vesti Gates and Lauren Tehra, two detectives who search for the truth, whether in their own dimension or otherwise.

What's a Court Records?

Planetbox wrote:
WAIT the first Danganronpa game came out in 2010?? That just totally blew my mind. I feel like I never heard a single thing about it until a few years ago.

Yeah, but it was Japan only. The west would have to wait a few years for an official English translation. The first game did get a full fan translation though. One was started for the second game, but cancelled when we knew were getting that one as well.
Why am I even here?

Yabba Dabba Doo

DR games never shine due to their endings. V3's was the best by far and even then it was just kinda cool at best.

It's the middle cases that make the games really stand out, almost entirely due to the unique circumstances of DR. To be honest, Kodaka isn't a particularly fantastic writer or anything, but the premise of stupid high school kids running around murdering each other is strong enough to carry the games well beyond what they should be. I'd love to see a different writer at the helm, because there's a ton of potential with the DR formula that I don't think Kodaka ever really took advantage of.

What's a Court Records?

V3's ending was SO insulting, ngl. Not only does shit all over everything the previous five chapters do, it shits all over the rest of the series as well. Kodaka can start a game fine but he just doesn't know how to properly end one. As for the middle, those cases can be fine but the third chapter is usually one of the worst in each game.
Why am I even here?

Yabba Dabba Doo

I feel like one of the few people that didn't feel insulted by V3's ending. Think people read into it too much. While the twist comes from completely out of nowhere and could have used some better foreshadowing, I thought it hit pretty well on the theme of truth vs. lies and made for some really interesting character dynamics.

Spoiler:
Plus, it finally has someone pointing out that pure unchecked hope is shitty as hell. I liked Shuichi a lot, but that final trial pushed him up to being my favorite protag of the series (and 2nd favorite character overall behind the psychopath that is Nagito).

What's a Court Records?

I hate the overall twist, but I won't lie, there were some things I did like about the final chapter. I'll probably go into more detail about this stuff whenever I review the game on YouTube.
Why am I even here?

Page 48 of 48 [ 1897 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48

Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Police Station