Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Police Station

Page 6 of 103[ 4090 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 103  Next

Re: Random conversations about GamesTopic%20Title

You could try the Rune Factory games. They are like Harvest Moon, but with more emphasis on fighting. Dating is still there, but depending on the game, it's either just a supplement or barely there. In RF2, the point of the 1st Generation is to get married, so it's really easy to get a girl to like you, because the 2nd Generation is your kid being your controlled character. In RF3, you get married but.... well, the love between you and the girl you chose is important, but only towards the very last battle. And the kids are pointless in that game. No beds, they take no gifts, they don't even sleep...

And I'm really tempted to just look up the deal with Lumina, cause I need to know if it's really worth listening to her anymore. Although I'm only 2 Days away from the end of the game...

C-A

Gettin' Old!

CatMuto wrote:
You could try the Rune Factory games. They are like Harvest Moon, but with more emphasis on fighting. Dating is still there, but depending on the game, it's either just a supplement or barely there. In RF2, the point of the 1st Generation is to get married, so it's really easy to get a girl to like you, because the 2nd Generation is your kid being your controlled character. In RF3, you get married but.... well, the love between you and the girl you chose is important, but only towards the very last battle. And the kids are pointless in that game. No beds, they take no gifts, they don't even sleep...

And I'm really tempted to just look up the deal with Lumina, cause I need to know if it's really worth listening to her anymore. Although I'm only 2 Days away from the end of the game...

C-A

Yeah Rune Factory was interesting but it's not high on my list of 'series to start' since I've got so many other games I'd like to try now. Though if I ever wanted to go back to something like Harvest Moon I'd definitely try it.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Only Rune Factory game I would not suggest is Frontier for the Wii. It's a great game, but the loading times are just too frustratingly long. Also some other parts, but the loading times and the loading screen will haunt your nightmares.

So anyway, I finished my first playthrough of Lightning Returns. I think it did a good job in ending the XIII trilogy, gave it the premise of New Crystal Legend and all that. The explanation about Lumina was okay, I thought it was a bit out of nowhere, but whatever.
And I can be certain that LightxHope shippers are gonna play this game and flood forums with the topics of "OMG I TOLD YOU, IT'S SO TOTALLY CANON!!" Not that I ship them, but I can see how the shippers would see and react to the scenes.
Only two small things bothered me about the ending.

Spoiler: Tiny annoyances in the Ending for me
Why did they have to show Sera in that stupid outfit from XIII-2? It's so stupid! The outfit never made sense to me in XIII-2, which is why I put her into DLC clothes, and it just looks sillier looking at it now.

The other thing is.... did we HAVE to give Noel "his" Yule back? Really? Why not give us at least ONE sad pairing in the game? I mean, I never even believed that Yule ACTUALLY loved Noel. We see her, yeah. in HIS DREAM WORLD so her characterization was probably exaggerated or idealized for how HE remembered her.

C-A

Zoinks

FINALLY finished Tales of the Abyss, which is great because it was dragging on for like forever and I stopped caring about any of the characters about 3/4th of the way in.

It's kinda weird though - this was my first experience of a Tales' Of game, and having heard bad things about the franchise I was surprised I actually ended up taking ToA seriously. However, as such, I ended up subconsciously judging it against other jRPGs I took seriously, and in that context it just doesn't really hold up to most of the others I played...

Next up is Virtue's Last Reward. Man, what is with the 3DS and all these games?!
3DS Friend Code: 5129-1407-0950

| -#courtrecords- | -Last.fm- | -Twitter- |

Yes, Abyss does drag towards the end - I like to blame Tear for that because her existence has caused several of the problems in the game, thank you very MUCH, Tear! - so I can see why people feel a bit tired of the game eventually. I have seen several topics of "How far am I in/How much more left?" when they are barely past the halfpoints of the game. Before the first Big Final Boss.

I guess Abyss is a good enough Tales Of to start the series with. I know that if Graces had been my first one, I would've hated the series. Ditto on Symphonia, although on a lesser scale. I mean, while the characters in Symphonia were stereotypes, they at least had SOME interesting aspects about them. (I'm so glad Phantasia was my first one)

C-A

Zoinks

CatMuto wrote:
Yes, Abyss does drag towards the end - I like to blame Tear for that because her existence has caused several of the problems in the game, thank you very MUCH, Tear! - so I can see why people feel a bit tired of the game eventually.

Hm...you think so? I thought Tear was one of the better characters, alongside Guy and Jade. The other three (plus Asch and Ion, if they count) just got on my nerves most of the time - especially Natalia, with her "BLA BLA BLA KIMLASCA" yelled so often you could make a killer drinking game out of it.

Technically, Phantasia was my first Tales' Of game as well (way back in, like, 2001), but I never got around to completing it for some reason. ^^; Maybe some other time...

Well the whole fiasco in the game could've been avoided had Tear properly killed her brother.

Spoiler: Think about it!
Had she managed to kill him, Akzeruth would have still been around, Luke would not have had to go through the existential moments of questioning his birth-right. And most of all: Ion would still be alive!

Ion only died because she had that stupid plot illness that actually had no real effect on her. And as I pointed out in a different post, Ion is the leader of the world's religion. And yet nobody seemed to really care that he died. It happens, it gets mentioned shortly after, but then it's kind of gone.
Ion? Yeah he died.... so? That's what their reactions feel like.

Then again, I think Tear is a terrible Mary Sue/Canon Sue and really makes it difficult for me to enjoy the game from beginning to end. Although that probably also has to do with the terrible LukexTear moments shoved into my face every few minutes. God, why do Tales Of games need romance? And if it is important, why not make a believeable one, don't shove it into the player's face all the time and don't make it so freaking awkward. Seriously, I'd rather have Veigue shouting "CLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIRE!!" instead of LukexTear...

C-A

Zoinks

But surely that's just saying the events of the entire game wouldn't have occurred if Tear had properly killed her brother. Speaking of which, it's not like she planned getting whisked away to another continent or whatever.

jRPGs are probably never really going to handle romance on a level us mere humans are accustomed to. Kinda goes hand-in-hand with being all fantasy-like - who wouldn't want a fairy tale romance?

LukeXTear is especially cringeworthy when you consider

Spoiler:
that Luke is only SEVEN YEARS OLD D:

CatMuto wrote:
Only Rune Factory game I would not suggest is Frontier for the Wii. It's a great game, but the loading times are just too frustratingly long. Also some other parts, but the loading times and the loading screen will haunt your nightmares.

C-A

Really? I don't remember any particularly bad load times when I played.

Then again, maybe the stupid Runey system made me forget the other annoyances...

Franzise Deauxnim wrote:
Really? I don't remember any particularly bad load times when I played.

Then again, maybe the stupid Runey system made me forget the other annoyances...

Urgh, that runey system... There's a guide on how to "forget" about the Runey System when playing. I tried, I forgot about doing anything runey related and I ended up being piss-annoyed cause I'm in my 2nd Year and still can't marry Mist cause her motherf***ing LP won't rise fast enough. F*** that game with its loading times, slow pacing and runey system. At least I learned that a Silver Sickle can be a kick-ass weapon in the Snow Ruins.

Quote:
who wouldn't want a fairy tale romance?

I don't know, people who prefer realistic stuff in their games? People who have outgrown the fantasy or fairy tale desire? I mean, I read the original Grimm Stories. Yeah, they are fairy tale, but overall are still pretty realistic and have their messages. They aren't written fairy-tale-ish.
Also, being a "canon pairing" for the sole reason of being together because "Hey, we're canon!" is not a good reason. Fairy tale or realistic. As mentioned, even the fairy tales have SOME reason why the couple is attracted - be it personality or looks. It's at least SOMETHING.

C-A

Zoinks

Haven't actually read the Grimm Fairy Tales (yes I am a philistine) so I can't really make a comparison: Will take your word for it though. I'm sure there was a good reason LukeXTear happened - inner beauty or something? Idk.

Yellow Magician wrote:
Haven't actually read the Grimm Fairy Tales (yes I am a philistine) so I can't really make a comparison: Will take your word for it though. I'm sure there was a good reason LukeXTear happened - inner beauty or something? Idk.

Only attraction I can come with off the top of my head was in the beginning where Luke admitted that Tear was cute. As long as she kept her mouth shut. (Part of me agrees with that... I love skits in the Tales Of games, they can be really funny... but the Abyss ones... majority of them seems to be a really long way of saying nothing at all.)

C-A

So I just bought Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers, and it's the first time I've ever as much as laid eyes on the series. My opinion of the game thus far can be summed up in one word:

What.

Last edited by Thane on Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thane wrote:
So I just bought Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers, and it's the first time I've ever as much as laid eyes on the series. My opinion of the game thus far can be surprised with one word:

What.

Yeeeeaaah.... the SMT and Persona series really can give you that reaction the first time around. Even if you have played the games before, then play a different one in the series, despite knowing the weirdness, you still get that reaction.

It's like my husband said about the Madoka Magica movie he had to watch, to check it out for work: "I just watched the Madoka Magica Rebellion movie.... the fuck."

C-A

CatMuto wrote:
Thane wrote:
So I just bought Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers, and it's the first time I've ever as much as laid eyes on the series. My opinion of the game thus far can be surprised with one word:

What.

Yeeeeaaah.... the SMT and Persona series really can give you that reaction the first time around. Even if you have played the games before, then play a different one in the series, despite knowing the weirdness, you still get that reaction.

It's like my husband said about the Madoka Magica movie he had to watch, to check it out for work: "I just watched the Madoka Magica Rebellion movie.... the fuck."

C-A

No kidding? There are no guides so you can't help to wonder what all the stats do...in fact, you can't really read up on anything. Then they change plot points every other sentence, and it's nigh impossible to keep up. I mean...there was a scream, then a ghost coyote asked me to figure out what happened to a man just before he died.

Also, there was something about a virtual world, hackers and guys who look so evil one can't help but wonder why they're not arrested just for looking like they do.

I normally take pride in my ability to follow complicated plots, and being able to come up with plausible theories, but this was just...what?!

Okay, so in my New Game + File of Lightning Returns, I just fought Snow on the 6th Day, to fight his + Version. The fight took long enough for him to rip his shirt off. And now he's standing there, in a place that I guess is cold, I mean, he is still a l'Cie all done up with ICE and all.... and eww, I just thought of erect man nipples. *choke*

C-A

The dwarf geeky panda!

Thane wrote:
I normally take pride in my ability to follow complicated plots, and being able to come up with plausible theories, but this was just...what?!

But except that is the game good?
Please don't hit me...

Gettin' Old!

Thane wrote:
CatMuto wrote:
Thane wrote:

What.

C-A

No kidding? There are no guides so you can't help to wonder what all the stats do...in fact, you can't really read up on anything. Then they change plot points every other sentence, and it's nigh impossible to keep up. I mean...there was a scream, then a ghost coyote asked me to figure out what happened to a man just before he died.

Also, there was something about a virtual world, hackers and guys who look so evil one can't help but wonder why they're not arrested just for looking like they do.

Dude a Ghost Coyote shows up and tells you to do something YOU DO IT...or cut back on the drink.

I'd quite like to try Soul Hackers since I like some other SMT stuff and I'm interested in more, but time and money XP
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

In Justice We Trust

[annoyed sigh] I just finished a New Game+ playthrough of Persona 4 Golden (well, okay, it's technically not finished yet, but I'm on March 20, so there isn't much left to do). Had I had one more day, I could have maximized Rise's Social Link, the only one I had not maximized. It drives me nuts that I was that close, because it leaves me wondering what small thing I could have avoided doing in order to spend another day maximizing that last Social Link. Then again...

Spoiler: Unique feature in Persona 4 Golden
I also would have needed an additional three days to get the three third-tier Personae I failed to get for my comrades this time around.

Still... My Compendium is going to be one Persona shy of 100% because of this. [sigh] Third time's the charm?
I'll always love you, Max.

I just got past the first portion of the trial in 1-3 for the Let's Play and the "giant plot twist" of there being more than 3 people present at the studio hurt even more than it originally did, when I wasn't commenting about things while playing the game. Why did Capcom think that was a good plot twist!?

C-A

Expert bluffer

CatMuto wrote:
I just got past the first portion of the trial in 1-3 for the Let's Play and the "giant plot twist" of there being more than 3 people present at the studio hurt even more than it originally did, when I wasn't commenting about things while playing the game. Why did Capcom think that was a good plot twist!?

C-A

For better or worse, I completely forgot that plot twist existed in light of other games.
"Your argument is like a naked banana--it simply lacks a peel." --Phoenix Wright

"I'll gladly take your 1 cent!" --Miles Edgeworth

In Justice We Trust

I'm starting to find the use of Latin for choral background music annoying. If the music is for a fight with a corrupt priest in a Fantasy Catholic Church, you get a pass to use Latin. However, recently, I was able to make out "Christe domini" in the track "Alexander Nevsky Rides to Battle" in the Crusader Kings II soundtrack. It's a good song, but the use of Latin bugged me. Russia was Orthodox during Alexander Nevsky's time. Unless the Latin was being used to represent the Teutonic Order, Old Church Slavonic would have been much more appropriate. Heck, even if we're dealing with a fantasy world, there are plenty of other perfectly good languages to use in choral music. Old English would be pretty nice (and by Old English, I mean pre-1066 English, not Shakespearean play English). It sounds like something right out of The Lord of the Rings (and for good reasons if you know a bit about Tolkien). Latin's a nice language and all, but how about some more variety? I'd love to have a chorus singing in, say, Ge'ez or Coptic when I'm ripping the final boss a new one.

1000% Knight

General Luigi wrote:
I'm starting to find the use of Latin for choral background music annoying. If the music is for a fight with a corrupt priest in a Fantasy Catholic Church, you get a pass to use Latin. However, recently, I was able to make out "Christe domini" in the track "Alexander Nevsky Rides to Battle" in the Crusader Kings II soundtrack. It's a good song, but the use of Latin bugged me. Russia was Orthodox during Alexander Nevsky's time. Unless the Latin was being used to represent the Teutonic Order, Old Church Slavonic would have been much more appropriate. Heck, even if we're dealing with a fantasy world, there are plenty of other perfectly good languages to use in choral music. Old English would be pretty nice (and by Old English, I mean pre-1066 English, not Shakespearean play English). It sounds like something right out of The Lord of the Rings (and for good reasons if you know a bit about Tolkien). Latin's a nice language and all, but how about some more variety? I'd love to have a chorus singing in, say, Ge'ez or Coptic when I'm ripping the final boss a new one.

Does Random Language X sound any different from Random Language Y to you? Maybe when they're speaking it, yeah, but in choral music it tends to just become incomprehensible reverb for me xP
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

Quote:
Does Random Language X sound any different from Random Language Y to you? Maybe when they're speaking it, yeah, but in choral music it tends to just become incomprehensible reverb for me xP

I guess if you pay attention to it, it can sound different. As somebody pointed out, one chorus was in English, but it was sung so that it was difficult to tell. But when you really listen, you can make out that it's English.

C-A

Was playing the Fire Emblem:Awakening demo and I have to admit I like the game. It reminds me of Disgaea which is probably why I enjoyed it. I'll keep a note of it if I want another 3DS game in the future.

Also tried the Bravely Default demo and that one I didn't like since it reminded me to much of FF and as well that for a new 3DS game the graphics weren't that great especially the background.

1000% Knight

CatMuto wrote:
Quote:

I guess if you pay attention to it, it can sound different. As somebody pointed out, one chorus was in English, but it was sung so that it was difficult to tell. But when you really listen, you can make out that it's English.

C-A

Yeah, I can see that, but then English is a language you know. Would you be able to differentiate between two languages you don't know in choral music?
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

Depending on how well I knew them, I could. Plus, several languages sound similar to each other, like German has words that originate from English or Latin. French and Spanish have similar words at times. I don't speak spanish, but some words I understand due to context or similar sound to a different one.

C-A

In Justice We Trust

Maybe it's my chorus experience? I've sung in a lot of languages, some more often than others, so it's possible I've just developed an ear for this kind of thing.

The man who decides the verdict

Fool Bright wrote:
Was playing the Fire Emblem:Awakening demo and I have to admit I like the game. It reminds me of Disgaea which is probably why I enjoyed it. I'll keep a note of it if I want another 3DS game in the future.

Also tried the Bravely Default demo and that one I didn't like since it reminded me to much of FF and as well that for a new 3DS game the graphics weren't that great especially the background.

I strongly recommend FE:A, probably the best game on the platform imo. There are just so many pairings to choose from, you'll be playing through the game over and over~

The Canadian Judge wrote:
Fool Bright wrote:

I strongly recommend FE:A, probably the best game on the platform imo. There are just so many pairings to choose from, you'll be playing through the game over and over~

Ill think about it but my first priority is getting the new One Piece game thats coming out this tuesday so maybe when I get a job ill get it.

In Justice We Trust

The game's a shipper's wet dream in that regard--though I am a bit bothered by some of the programming oversights on that front.

General Luigi wrote:

The game's a shipper's wet dream in that regard--though I am a bit bothered by some of the programming oversights on that front.

Yeah, no Lissa x Maribelle is total bs.

Gardevoir lover

So, is anyone gonna buy Conception 2 in April?

My DA account can be found here: http://klonoahedgehog.deviantart.com/

Fate Testarossa

I've got it preordered.

Fate is made by クロス

Gardevoir lover

kwando1313 wrote:
I've got it preordered.

High five!

Klonoahedgehog wrote:

Is that an eroge?

C-A

CatMuto wrote:
Klonoahedgehog wrote:

Is that an eroge?

C-A

Conception 2

It says it is compared to Persona

High level play

Sooooo people... , have you heard about the new design of Sonic?
I just can't get a grip on this character anymore.
Face your emptiness don't be afraid. The danger is often smaller than your fear.

Gardevoir lover

CatMuto wrote:
Klonoahedgehog wrote:

Is that an eroge?

C-A

In a sense, yes.

In Justice We Trust

Franzise Deauxnim wrote:
Yeah, no Lissa x Maribelle is total bs.

I was referring to how Cordelia's support conversations are not affected by her marital status. Even if married, she will still talk about "the married man [she's] fallen for" in her supports with Henry.
Page 6 of 103 [ 4090 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 103  Next

Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Police Station