Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Police Station

Page 1 of 1[ 15 posts ]

Dragon Quest 8 for 3DSTopic%20Title

Do you see the black one...or the white?

http://gematsu.com/2015/05/dragon-quest ... coming-3ds

My personal favorite game in the series* has just been announced for a 3DS release in Japan. Let's pray it gets an English release. I know I want it, my PS2 is on the fritz. What are your thoughts about this remake? Any fond or hated memories of this PS2 classic? Still wish we could get the 3DS version of DQ7 and WiiU version of 10? Let's discuss!

*yeah I love 4 and 5, but 8 is just a masterpiece.
On April 3, 2016, Court Records Forums experienced a miracle upon that day.
CatMuto wrote:
Pierre wrote:
Man...that looks dull...this actually makes me worried for KH3 (since that team worked on the battle system)

I feel the same
Re: Dragon Quest 8 for 3DSTopic%20Title

Gettin' Old!

Is this the one where he can go Hyper Tension and super saiyan the crap out of his enemies?

Cause I'd like to try that one.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Pierre wrote:
Is this the one where he can go Hyper Tension and super saiyan the crap out of his enemies?

Cause I'd like to try that one.

Yep. I actually like the tension system. It's such a simple add-on to the series that really helps develop some new strategies for the fights in this series. This and the skill point system, which to me, are small add on to the series, really makes it step up a notch.

Just a warning though, some enemies can hyper tension too.
CatMuto wrote:
Pierre wrote:
Man...that looks dull...this actually makes me worried for KH3 (since that team worked on the battle system)

I feel the same

1000% Knight

How does DQ8 stack up with DQ9? DQ9 is the only game in the series I've played, and I found it pretty... meh.
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

Much, much better than 9. I'm a fan of the series and even I found 9 meh.
CatMuto wrote:
Pierre wrote:

I feel the same

Call me Ishmael.

So is this a port of the cell phone port or a port of the original?

I already have DQ8 on PS2 but this is great for people who don't. I'd still prefer a western release of DQ7 for 3DS because the PS1 game isn't playable on Region 2-PlayStations even if you find a used copy at a reasonable price (although... the game's supposed length is kind of off-putting).

DQ5 on DS/cell phones is hands down my favorite. Get it if you haven't.
Wife: sparkleranger78, daughter: feedmechocolate247

I've felt worse.

Never really had the chance to get into this series. What's it like?
"It's never too late to learn that growing old doesn't have to mean growing up. Stay curious, stay weird, stay kind, and don't let anyone ever tell you you aren't smart or brave or worthy enough." -Stanford Pines, Gravity Falls

Marche Tobaye wrote:
So is this a port of the cell phone port or a port of the original?

I already have DQ8 on PS2 but this is great for people who don't. I'd still prefer a western release of DQ7 for 3DS because the PS1 game isn't playable on Region 2-PlayStations even if you find a used copy at a reasonable price (although... the game's supposed length is kind of off-putting).

DQ5 on DS/cell phones is hands down my favorite. Get it if you haven't.

Wasn't the cellphone version a downgraded port of the original? I honestly don't know what it's porting from, I assume the PS2 version. Would you believe that years ago, I got a new copy of DQ8 for $5? Best $5 ever spent.

And yeah, DQ5 is great. It's my second favorite in the series.

@sumguy: It's pretty fun overall as a series. It's a turn based RPG with a lot of emphasis on strategy, even in random battles, as opposed to Final Fantasy where in most games you can mash Attack to win if you're leveled high enough.

In the traditional sense, your main character is a silent protagonist, but what sells this series for me are the characters your MC is surrounded with, watching them grow, engaging in fun party talk, and even seeing your silent character grow somewhat. In most games, your MC is the fabled savior, though to my knowledge, DQ5 put a twist on that. The stories usually resolve in beating the big bad, but the stories are interesting enough to hold on their own.

This is why I don't care much for DQ9 because it did away with a lot of that in favor of internet play.

These games, from what I know, are usually considered harder than the easy Final Fantasies. One warning about this series is that it's famous for needing to level grind. You're also only allowed to save in town, so it makes prepping for dungeons absolutely necessary. However, I do like the fact that you're somewhat limited on money in most games throughout most of the stories, so buying equipment is of much more importance.

Also, DQ Slimes >>>>>>>> FF Goblins
CatMuto wrote:
Pierre wrote:

I feel the same

Call me Ishmael.

$5 is impressive! Considering Square-Enix's obsession with cell phone gaming it wouldn't surprise me if it was ported from the phone version. FF3 and 4 were released on Steam a while back, which makes them PC ports of mobile ports of DS remakes of NES/SNES games. Mindblowing, isn't it?

dullahan1 wrote:
This is why I don't care much for DQ9 because it did away with a lot of that in favor of internet play.

Agreed, it focused too much on customization at the expense of a memorable story. The world didn't have enough locations and the "subplots" were pretty generic. A lot of concepts were ripped off from previous games in the series, the antagonist Corvus in particular was basically a more edgy version of Psaro from DQ4. While it is one of the better DS games out there, I honestly feel bad for those who got into the series thanks to DQ9 and weren't impressed.

And yeah, Slimes are great mascots although I would argue that their FF counterpart isn't Goblins, maybe Moogles or Chocobos would fit better (or Lightning, har har har). I agree that DQ in general is much better.

@ sumguy28: What dullahan said, and also I recommend starting with DQ5 if you're interested. It's available on most cell phones (I'd advise against searching through Amazon for a used copy of the DS version because a lot of the GBA/DS games that you find there are supposedly bootlegs - you might find it in a store with a little luck though).

Yeah, 9 is not a good first game to get into. I personally recommend the DS versions of 4 and 5 or 8. One thing I think 8 has an advantage over these games is the voice acting. No lie, I love 4 and 5, but some of that dialogue in the DS versions are tough to read as they really utilize those accents. While it's still there in 8, the voice acting makes it SOOOO much better. I loved Ragnar in 4, but dang my first time playing, that dialogue!
CatMuto wrote:
Pierre wrote:

I feel the same

Call me Ishmael.

The DS version of 6 was also very good, albeit painfully slow early on. I'm guessing it's gonna get ported to cell phones next.

The flavored dialogue can be way too over-the-top, 4's in particular. 8 had surprisingly good voice acting, and I hear a big portion of the cast appeared in the Layton movie, also by Level-5 (but not the games sadly).

Marche Tobaye wrote:
The DS version of 6 was also very good, albeit painfully slow early on. I'm guessing it's gonna get ported to cell phones next.

The flavored dialogue can be way too over-the-top, 4's in particular. 8 had surprisingly good voice acting, and I hear a big portion of the cast appeared in the Layton movie, also by Level-5 (but not the games sadly).

I've never played 6 myself. I need to give it a shot at some point. I think 4's accents get more tolerable after Ragnar's Chapter, but I loved 4 just for the uniqueness in the way it approached its story. I thought it was quite clever. If only money was as easy to make as Torneko made it out to be.

As for 8, I kinda consider it the Xenoblade of its time. It has the "if you see it you can go there" mentality. The orchestrated soundtrack still holds up for me as some of the best. The battle mechanics are quite solid, and the characters are VERY loveable. You get rewarded for exploration, not in the form of EXP, but finding rare treasures. Also, for being 2005, the graphics still hold up VERY well and look gorgeous. Knock it all you want, but cel-shading is fantastic. Unlike realistic graphics, cel-shading doesn't seem to get outdated as fast. It was the first game to make me fall in love with British VAs.

For the longest time, 8 was to me, the closest to a perfect jRPG you could get. Then we got Xenoblade, but I guess it can still hold itself in the traditional sense. I think this is also why 9 was such a BIG disappointment. It's not bad, it's just mediocre.

Also, wow, DQ8 is 10 years old...
CatMuto wrote:
Pierre wrote:

I feel the same

I've been interested in tihs game for a time but haven;t found a place to buy it.I have only played DQ5,DQ1 and a little of six,and I would say the series is great,and it's definetly really hard and needs a lot of strategy.My only strategy on DQ5 was save scumming in the gambling minigame.If DQ8 is anything like those games then it must be great!
Signature loading, please wait...

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... led/.88281

A new scenario announced that will go into detail about the protagonist's life as a child, as well as the villain, Dhoulmagus's past.

It will also include two new party members. A female thief named Gelda, and Morrie from Dragon Quest: Monster Battle Road arcade game. I assume the latter is the same Morrie who runs the monster coliseum in DQ8. It will also support Streetpass and it looks like it will keep the Orchestrated score that was in the original overseas release and fully voiced cast during the cutscenes. If I recall, the latter two things were absent from the original Japanese version on the PS2.

Also, as an aside, I love how a lighthearted looking game like this's main plot revolves around murder.
CatMuto wrote:
Pierre wrote:

I feel the same

1000% Knight

dullahan1 wrote:
Also, as an aside, I love how a lighthearted looking game like this's main plot revolves around murder.

Have you forgotten which website you're on? xP
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!
Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Police Station