Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Police Station

Page 1 of 1[ 27 posts ]

Any retro gamers on here?Topic%20Title

I'm defiantly a retro gamer, I mainly play the on the gameboy line of handhelds. I have a original gameboy, a gameboy color, and a gameboy advance sp!

What retro games and console's do you have? Let me know!

Edit: For consoles I have 2 PS2s

Last edited by ZoomBoom124 on Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Re: Any retro gamers on here?Topic%20Title

Wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey...

The most retro consoles I own are a GBA sp, a PS2, and a PSP. I still enjoy playing classic games though. I have particularly fond memories of playing Chip N' Dale: Rescue Rangers on my old NES before it died on me.

EDIT: I must say, it feels sort of weird, talking to myself like this.

TheDoctor wrote:
I must say, it feels sort of weird, talking to myself like this.

It defiantly is. :will:

Do you see the black one...or the white?

I feel so old when the stuff I grew up with is considered retro...

As for consoles I own that are retro, I have an Atari 2600, NES, N64, Gameboy Pocket, Color, GBA, and SP. Dunno if GameCube and PS2 are considered old enough yet...

Granted, the stuff I mentioned save for the N64 is pretty much in our attic because we don't have room for all those consoles. We do bring them out once in a blue moon though just for fun. My GBA and SP don't work anymore due to the battery cover on my GBA being broken so the batteries always fall out and the charger outlet on my SP being broken.

I do most of my retro gaming now through my Wii, WiiU, 3DS, and Vita. I missed out on the SNES, PSOne, and a lot of other titles so I use those systems to play games I either missed on or to go back to old favorites. I'm even guilty of getting games I already own on these newer consoles, though for a couple of good reasons.

Old GB games need a lot of light to see and it's just easier to have a backlit screen for those games. Dunno how I managed playing that dark handheld as a child.

Another reason is that I really don't like the N64 controller. Say what you will about the C-stick, but playing games like Ocarina and Majora's Mask is much more comfortable on a GameCube controller than an N64 controller.

I honestly don't know if I'd call myself a retro gamer but consider myself more as someone who just likes to play games from their childhood every now and then.
On April 3, 2016, Court Records Forums experienced a miracle upon that day.
CatMuto wrote:
Pierre wrote:
Man...that looks dull...this actually makes me worried for KH3 (since that team worked on the battle system)

I feel the same

Yeah I sucks trying to play a gameboy with a flashlight in the dark, thank goodness they added a backlight in the gameboy advance sp!

Last edited by ZoomBoom124 on Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The N64 controller is one of the worst controllers I've had the displeasure of using. It's like you need three hands just to work it properly.

On the other hand, the GameCube controller is relatively okay, but my problem stems from the awkward placement of the A, B, X, and Y buttons. It makes sidescrollers a bit of a pain (which is an especially bad thing when playing MegaMan Network Transmission, since it's difficult enough already).

I didn't care much for the NES controller, but that was mostly due to poor ergonomics. The SNES controller helped fix that to some degree, so it's probably my favorite retro controller. My other favorite was the original Dualshock for PS1; the design was so good, they didn't significantly change it until the Dualshock 4.

I am the swordsman of justice!

A retro gamer oh yeah. I play retro games, I have a snes, a nes, a gba, a GameCube, and the entire line of sega home consoles ( Genesis, Saturn, dreamcast, ) I could almost consider myself a collecter. Some of my favorites are Chrono Trigger and Fire Emblem Path of Radiance
I was trying to think of a question while I was objecting, I didn't
- Edgeworth

TheDoctor wrote:
I didn't care much for the NES controller, but that was mostly due to poor ergonomics. The SNES controller helped fix that to some degree, so it's probably my favorite retro controller. My other favorite was the original Dualshock for PS1; the design was so good, they didn't significantly change it until the Dualshock 4.

There was a bone-shaped NES controller released near the end of the system's lifespan, I have one of those and I'd almost say it's nicer to hold than the SNES controller.

ASCEND

I tend to get old games on the Virtual Cobsole a lot. For example, I'm currently trying to play all of the Classicega man games (those that I can legally obtain, that is...)
Vesti and Lauren's Interdimensional Investigations
This CYOA follows Vesti Gates and Lauren Tehra, two detectives who search for the truth, whether in their own dimension or otherwise.

Planetbox wrote:
I tend to get old games on the Virtual Cobsole a lot. For example, I'm currently trying to play all of the Classicega man games (those that I can legally obtain, that is...)

The Mega Man series is good but Capcom (the same people who make Phoenix Wright games) keep canceling new Mega Man games! :dahlia:

The Enigma

Hell. Yes. Can't beat the classics! :will:

I have a Gameboy SP (younger sis stole my Gameboy Advance :edgeworth: ) play a lot of Fire Emblem, Fire Emblem Sacred Stones, Pokemon Leaf Green and Fire Red, Golden Sun, Metroid Fusion and Zero Mission, Donkey Kong Country, and Super Mario World. We had an NES and an N64 for a while, but both of them broke :larry: we played them too hard. Also...not sure if it's retro, but I guess it is now because my friends like to tease me about my PS2 and always ask why I haven't gotten a PS3 or better yet, a PS4. cuz I'm a broke college student, derp. They don't know that I mainly use that PS2 to play my brother's PS1 games XD
I've heard rumors… Bramimond, one of the eight legends, devoted himself entirely to the dark. All emotion, all memory… dissolved in a river of dark. That is how he received the power to best dragons

Bramimond wrote:
Hell. Yes. Can't beat the classics! :will:

I have a Gameboy SP (younger sis stole my Gameboy Advance :edgeworth: ) play a lot of Fire Emblem, Fire Emblem Sacred Stones, Pokemon Leaf Green and Fire Red, Golden Sun, Metroid Fusion and Zero Mission, Donkey Kong Country, and Super Mario World. We had an NES and an N64 for a while, but both of them broke :larry: we played them too hard. Also...not sure if it's retro, but I guess it is now because my friends like to tease me about my PS2 and always ask why I haven't gotten a PS3 or better yet, a PS4. cuz I'm a broke college student, derp. They don't know that I mainly use that PS2 to play my brother's PS1 games XD

#retrogamingtroubles

It makes me annoyed when people just don't understand why you keep your old gaming consoles. The newest consoles arn't as good as some classic consoles!

Freshman year of Uni, I got a bit carried away with buying too many retro games and systems. Some of these games only cost about a dollar 'cause the store classified it as 'junk' (they couldn't get it to work). Really, all the games needed was a bit of cleaning and bam, works perfectly. As such, the current systems I own are: Famicom, Super Famicom, N64, PS2, and I've just ordered a Sega Saturn and plan on getting into collecting for that. I just bought Christmas Nights and Enemy Zero today, for about 2 dollars total.

Also, note my location. Just judging from what my western friends have said, retro games are super cheap over here (hence why I went on that buying spree). I think it might be because of a smaller demand, or maybe the hardware recycling store underpays people for their games, but also sells them at ridiculously low prices too. I wish I had the time to play all these games, but hey, going out and buying them is pretty fun in its own right.

迷探偵

lonechallenger wrote:
Also, note my location. Just judging from what my western friends have said, retro games are super cheap over here (hence why I went on that buying spree). I think it might be because of a smaller demand, or maybe the hardware recycling store underpays people for their games, but also sells them at ridiculously low prices too. I wish I had the time to play all these games, but hey, going out and buying them is pretty fun in its own right.

It's more like the supply is bigger than the demand; the number of recycling shops that also deal in games in Japan is rather high (not just in Tokyo) and in general, it's really not that difficult to find older systems and the games, so that pushes the price down. I lived for extended periods in various parts of Japan, and this was true in all those places.
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

Oh yeah, for sure. Even when I'm at my parents place in Osaka (like right now) the recycling plant gives the same low prices, only difference seems to be the rarity of certain games. Funnily enough, the shops that specialize in just video games (Super Potato) are really expensive, like 'you might as well buy them online' expensive. Maybe it's because those places are more well known? idk. Still interesting though, I kinda wished I knew about the recycling plant in High School when my retro obsession started, would've been super ecstatic then :edgey: .

Well, the only console I actually own is a PS2, so there is that. I also like to play a lot of emulated games, especially for the SNES and GBA, as well as playing some old PC games.
Signature loading, please wait...

cesar26100 wrote:
I also like to play a lot of emulated games, especially for the SNES and GBA,

Arn't emulators illegal though?

The Enigma

No. Selling them for profit is.
I've heard rumors… Bramimond, one of the eight legends, devoted himself entirely to the dark. All emotion, all memory… dissolved in a river of dark. That is how he received the power to best dragons

Bramimond wrote:

What about roms?

Gardevoir lover

Well when i was in elementary school i played a ton of NES games on one of the schools computers.

My DA account can be found here: http://klonoahedgehog.deviantart.com/

The4th_Doctor wrote:
Bramimond wrote:

What about roms?

Technically, roms are a legal gray area. It's technically legal if you own the originals, but I think you're expected to figure out how to upload them to your computer from the original cartridge yourself as opposed to downloading them.

On the other hand, distributing roms definitely is illegal. So, I think we're allowed to talk about emulation here, but we can't tell anyone where to download the roms. If I'm wrong, I'd appreciate one of the mods stepping in and clarifying things. :phoenix:

TheDoctor wrote:
The4th_Doctor wrote:
Bramimond wrote:

What about roms?

Technically, roms are a legal gray area. It's technically legal if you own the originals, but I think you're expected to figure out how to upload them to your computer from the original cartridge yourself as opposed to downloading them.

On the other hand, distributing roms definitely is illegal. So, I think we're allowed to talk about emulation here, but we can't tell anyone where to download the roms. If I'm wrong, I'd appreciate one of the mods stepping in and clarifying things. :phoenix:

That sounds very confusing, I hope when I'm a prosecutor I don't have to deal with roms.

The only type of rom I ever deal with is Japanese to English fan translated games that weren't released in the US (thank the souls who worked so hard so gamers like us can have those games :edgey:) but I don't even know how that applies to the emulator rules because of the translation and all that
- Edgeworth

迷探偵

CoolFencer wrote:
but I don't even know how that applies to the emulator rules because of the translation and all that

From a legal POV, rom translations are illegal. A translation is a derivative work and only the copyright holder of the underlying (original) work has the right to produce (or let someone produce) derivative work (like a translation). There is such a thing as fair use (for example shorter quotations/partial translation for academic papers, parody works), but a complete translation of something usually isn't fair use.
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

Ash wrote:
CoolFencer wrote:
but I don't even know how that applies to the emulator rules because of the translation and all that

From a legal POV, rom translations are illegal. A translation is a derivative work and only the copyright holder of the underlying (original) work has the right to produce (or let someone produce) derivative work (like a translation). There is such a thing as fair use (for example shorter quotations/partial translation for academic papers, parody works), but a complete translation of something usually isn't fair use.

Interesting. I never knew. Thanks!
- Edgeworth

Rom Hacks may be legal due to fair use. It allows the use of copyrighted material as long as it's used in Commentary, Search engines, Criticism, Parody, News reporting, Research, Teaching, Library archiving, and Scholorship. We're dealing with the parody part for the most part which means changing things in the copyrighted work to make it different for (example YouTube Poop)

Sylph of Doom

Idk if I can be considered a "retro gamer" as a fitting label, but I have the original Legend of Zelda and Catlevania on Virtual Console and will consider getting the sequels as I beat them. I actually find them considerably harder than most games out there, though. Just not as much immersion, little things in gameplay don't make sense and I can't count how many times I got stuck in an area because I couldn't tell that something on screen was supposed to indicate stairs... I'm pretty derpy with retro, come to think of it.

Oh, I also got the Pokémon Yellow Virtual Console because I just love Pokémon. :maya: Loved it as a kid as an anime, but didn't have handhelds to play it on. About a year ago I got a 3DS (which I prompty traded up to 3DSXL) and bought Omega Ruby. Yellow is my second game, which I bought over Red and Blue solely for nostalgia for the anime, where my love for it started. Planning on getting my hands on a game for each generation, at the very least.
Yours in Eternity
Page 1 of 1 [ 27 posts ] 

Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Police Station