Board index » General » Bar Exam

Page 1 of 1[ 24 posts ]
 


Unable to start a new topic anywhere else on the forum...Topic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Female

Rank: Suspect

Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:45 am

Posts: 4

Why? I just joined and wanted to make a post about the Phoenix Wright movie in the Defense lobby. For some reason, I'm unable to start a new topic. Is there something I need to do first?
Re: Unable to start a new topic anywhere else on the forum..Topic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Male

Location: Scotland

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:30 pm

Posts: 14307

What was the topic about?

It's a measure to stop cluttering up the forums as new members are encouraged to use the search function as it's likely a topic already exists to meet your needs.

However seeing it's about the movie it could be new news so what's the scoop?

Also welcome to CR :garyuu:
Made by Chesu+Zombee
Image

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.
Re: Unable to start a new topic anywhere else on the forum..Topic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Female

Rank: Suspect

Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:45 am

Posts: 4

Hi there,

Thanks for the quick reply:)! It was literally the first post I was going to make on this forum ever. I wanted to write about how I spotted a couple of plot holes in the Ace Attorney movie and if I was right about them or misinterpreting the movie incorrectly. There was one other thread about the movie in the "Defense Lobby", so I assumed it was relevant to the subject.

It seems like I am able to REPLY to existing threads but unable to start a "New Topic." The "New Topic" button seems to be missing for me on all the rest of the board except for this section it seems.
Re: Unable to start a new topic anywhere else on the forum..Topic%20Title
User avatar

In Justice We Trust

Gender: Male

Location: Southern California

Rank: Admin

Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:31 pm

Posts: 4175

Strange. I can't claim to know why you wouldn't have that option. Maybe Wooster or one of the other Administrators would know. Still, two questions. Hopefully, they'll help narrow the issue down:

  1. Are you able to post a new topic in the Press Conference? Most new users start off by introducing themselves there, so I find it odd that the function would be disabled for you everywhere but the Bar Exam--or am I just misinterpreting what you mean when you say "this section"?
  2. Can you take a screenshot of the Defendant's Lobby on your end and post it here? I'd like to see both the top and the bottom so I can compare it to what I see on my end.

Image
Re: Unable to start a new topic anywhere else on the forum..Topic%20Title
User avatar

Do you see the black one...or the white?

Gender: Male

Location: IN SPACE!

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:06 pm

Posts: 6664

That's because of all the trolls and such we used to have, it was made a rule to where new members cannot post a new topic other than introductory topics until they have hit 50 posts. This helps to fight off unneeded spam and whatnot. I honestly think it's good too because it helps new members to get accustomed to our forums before they can post new topics. Still, you should at least be able to post in the Press Conference though. Anyways, welcome to the forums.
On April 3, 2016, Court Records Forums experienced a miracle upon that day.
CatMuto wrote:
Pierre wrote:
Man...that looks dull...this actually makes me worried for KH3 (since that team worked on the battle system)


I feel the same
Re: Unable to start a new topic anywhere else on the forum..Topic%20Title
User avatar

In Justice We Trust

Gender: Male

Location: Southern California

Rank: Admin

Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:31 pm

Posts: 4175

Okay, so I wasn't imagining things when I thought I remembered someone mentioning new restrictions for new users as a spam deterrent.
Image
Re: Unable to start a new topic anywhere else on the forum..Topic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Male

Location: Scotland

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:30 pm

Posts: 14307

purdys wrote:
Hi there,

Thanks for the quick reply:)! It was literally the first post I was going to make on this forum ever. I wanted to write about how I spotted a couple of plot holes in the Ace Attorney movie and if I was right about them or misinterpreting the movie incorrectly. There was one other thread about the movie in the "Defense Lobby", so I assumed it was relevant to the subject.

It seems like I am able to REPLY to existing threads but unable to start a "New Topic." The "New Topic" button seems to be missing for me on all the rest of the board except for this section it seems.


*shuffles past the legion of spam*

Well that topic probably wouldn't exist yet. We typically have plothole topics (contradictions) for the games but not that many people might have seen the movie yet or at least not noticed plotholes so it wouldn't exist yet? As has been said you can't create a new topic for something like this but it is new discussion I guess.

Tell me what did you think was so wrong about the plot...though please use spoiler tags in respect for members who haven't seen it yet.
Made by Chesu+Zombee
Image

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.
Re: Unable to start a new topic anywhere else on the forum..Topic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Male

Location: Alabama

Rank: Decisive Witness

Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:11 am

Posts: 205

I can't make new topics in certain sections of the forum either. I had wanted to make a new topic about
Spoiler: GS5
Apollo Justice's role in GS5 now that he's officially been announced for the game
, but the 'New Topic' button doesn't appear for me in any of the PW sub-forums.
Re: Unable to start a new topic anywhere else on the forum..Topic%20Title

Gender: None specified

Rank: Medium-in-training

Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:34 pm

Posts: 440

50 posts is overkill. This is the first forums I've been to that forces users to post that much before they can create their own topics :o.

25 is usually the max that I've seen a forum go with in regards to new user posting-limit-before-they-can-utilize-the-forum-completely.


I understand the need to prevent spam and the spambots posting, but I also understand the need to not discourage new users from being forced to post that much before the restrictions are put off them. Hell, with the 50 post limit, I'd probably give up early and not bother coming here at all since doing 50 posts would take effort (assuming I would actually try to contribute to the forums here if I were in such a situation).


To me, 50 posts comes out as trying to punish (legitimate) new users for things that aren't in their control.


That's just me though ;P
Re: Unable to start a new topic anywhere else on the forum..Topic%20Title
User avatar

Yup. I'm a salmon.

Gender: Male

Location: The Ironic Sea

Rank: Suspect

Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:28 pm

Posts: 46

Yeah, I kind of agree. I think that it's a little bit much, but I guess that just proves how much someone is willing to stick around, eh? :godot:

Not that this has anything to do with Godot, I just like the guy :godot:
Re: Unable to start a new topic anywhere else on the forum..Topic%20Title
User avatar

1000% Knight

Gender: Male

Rank: Moderators

Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:06 pm

Posts: 6931

Hmm... It seems like spambots are a lot less prevalent here than a few months ago. I suppose decreasing the post requirement for new thread could be possible...

Anyway, TheIdioteque, you're almost at 50 posts, so... just keep at it ^_^
Re: Unable to start a new topic anywhere else on the forum..Topic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Male

Location: Scotland

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:30 pm

Posts: 14307

Bad Player wrote:
Hmm... It seems like spambots are a lot less prevalent here than a few months ago. I suppose decreasing the post requirement for new thread could be possible...

Anyway, TheIdioteque, you're almost at 50 posts, so... just keep at it ^_^


The last security modification that Wooster made seems to have basically sorted the bot problem.
Could probably take away the non-mod banhammers now as well.

In times of peace we should disarm :P
Made by Chesu+Zombee
Image

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.
Re: Unable to start a new topic anywhere else on the forum..Topic%20Title

Gender: None specified

Rank: Medium-in-training

Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:34 pm

Posts: 440

Pierre wrote:
Bad Player wrote:
Hmm... It seems like spambots are a lot less prevalent here than a few months ago. I suppose decreasing the post requirement for new thread could be possible...

Anyway, TheIdioteque, you're almost at 50 posts, so... just keep at it ^_^


In times of peace we should disarm :P



Image
Re: Unable to start a new topic anywhere else on the forum..Topic%20Title
User avatar

Pro Philosopher

Gender: Male

Location: The Intelligible Realm

Rank: Suspect

Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:55 am

Posts: 20

It's going to take me forever to get to 50 posts =p Whine, whine, whine.

Oh well, I'll just keep chipping away at that number, I guess. But it does seem like most of the things I'd actually post on are off bounds =P

EDIT: Oh no, wait. I can totally post in other peoples threads. I feel dumb now.
There are many things you could be doing right now.
But you know, deep down inside, what you really want to be do is playtest Socrates Jones: Pro Philosopher.
So why lie to yourself? Embrace your desires. Playtest today! Any feedback is appreciated!
Re: Unable to start a new topic anywhere else on the forum..Topic%20Title
User avatar

1000% Knight

Gender: Male

Rank: Moderators

Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:06 pm

Posts: 6931

Okay, the requirement for making new threads in certain subforums has been reduced to 25 posts from 50.

However, due to the way the forum works, this only applies to accounts made after today; other people still need 50 posts. Not completely ideal, but better than nothing.


(I also feel I should mention that having multiple accounts is against the rules, just in case...)
Re: Unable to start a new topic anywhere else on the forum..Topic%20Title

Gender: None specified

Rank: Medium-in-training

Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:34 pm

Posts: 440

Bad Player wrote:
Okay, the requirement for making new threads in certain subforums has been reduced to 25 posts from 50.

However, due to the way the forum works, this only applies to accounts made after today; other people still need 50 posts. Not completely ideal, but better than nothing.


(I also feel I should mention that having multiple accounts is against the rules, just in case...)



There is a way to make it apply to all current users. You'd need FTP acces and the phpbb support toolkit for this and just resync everyone up. Then again I think it only resyncs a certain group only.....

There's also always using a SQL command too ;P
Re: Unable to start a new topic anywhere else on the forum..Topic%20Title
User avatar

What is my liiiife?!?

Gender: Male

Location: UK

Rank: Admin

Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:02 am

Posts: 2504

Yeah, I don't go anywhere near the toolkit. Too much could go wrong.
Re: Unable to start a new topic anywhere else on the forum..Topic%20Title
User avatar

Abstract Attorney (Eventually)

Gender: Male

Location: The Internet

Rank: Suspect

Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:34 pm

Posts: 39

I've started topics on this site before but now I can't, does not posting in a while reset your no post counter?
lolololololololololololololololololocalizeDGSlolololololololololololololololololololololol
Re: Unable to start a new topic anywhere else on the forum..Topic%20Title
User avatar

Fate Testarossa

Gender: Male

Location: Uminari City

Rank: Prosecutor

Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:29 pm

Posts: 901

I think it's because you need to reach 25 posts before posting new topics.
Image

Fate is made by クロス
Re: Unable to start a new topic anywhere else on the forum..Topic%20Title
User avatar

Abstract Attorney (Eventually)

Gender: Male

Location: The Internet

Rank: Suspect

Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:34 pm

Posts: 39

kwando1313 wrote:
I think it's because you need to reach 25 posts before posting new topics.

so now I need to make it up to 50, or do I have to start over? I wonder how long until trolls program an app to repeatedly post stupid spam to get 50 posts, that day will be know as the spamapocolips. *shivers from cold and thought*
lolololololololololololololololololocalizeDGSlolololololololololololololololololololololol
Re: Unable to start a new topic anywhere else on the forum..Topic%20Title
User avatar

Fate Testarossa

Gender: Male

Location: Uminari City

Rank: Prosecutor

Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:29 pm

Posts: 901

Well, you're at 24 right now so... One more to go? xP
Image

Fate is made by クロス
Re: Unable to start a new topic anywhere else on the forum..Topic%20Title
User avatar

Quiet, please, it's snack time!

Gender: Female

Location: Melbourne

Rank: Suspect

Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:38 am

Posts: 35

Well, I finally got 25 myself but even that number does seem fairly excessive to me. From the perspective of a new member who really wants to contribute here, it kinda gives off a very hostile impression, not to mention it seems pretty counteractive to run a forum and then turn away fresh content rather than welcome it.

I guess it's like a balancing act. Would you rather save the staff's time by having less double threads to merge/lock, or would you rather provide a welcome space for new people to join and contribute?

I guess and added point is that you're never going to completely prevent people from making double-threads - even when everybody uses the search feature - because that relies so heavily on people using the right search terms.
Image
Image
Re: Unable to start a new topic anywhere else on the forum..Topic%20Title
User avatar

1000% Knight

Gender: Male

Rank: Moderators

Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:06 pm

Posts: 6931

fantanoice wrote:
Well, I finally got 25 myself but even that number does seem fairly excessive to me. From the perspective of a new member who really wants to contribute here, it kinda gives off a very hostile impression, not to mention it seems pretty counteractive to run a forum and then turn away fresh content rather than welcome it.

I guess it's like a balancing act. Would you rather save the staff's time by having less double threads to merge/lock, or would you rather provide a welcome space for new people to join and contribute?

I guess and added point is that you're never going to completely prevent people from making double-threads - even when everybody uses the search feature - because that relies so heavily on people using the right search terms.

A good portion of the post count rule is actually not to prevent multiple threads on the same topic from being made, but to prevent the spambots (which periodically invade) from making oodles and oodles of threads. (In fact, you can see in this thread that we reduced the requirement from 50 to 25 when the spambots died down a bit.)

While being able to make threads immediately would be nice, I doubt having a dozen gibberish threads about porn and viagra in every single subforum would be very inviting.

Like you said, it's a balancing act, to reduce spam from both newbies and from bots. While it may not be 100% ideal for all parties involves, 25 posts really isn't that much; you should be able to make the new thread you want in a few days at most if you're active and work towards it.
Re: Unable to start a new topic anywhere else on the forum..Topic%20Title
User avatar

Quiet, please, it's snack time!

Gender: Female

Location: Melbourne

Rank: Suspect

Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:38 am

Posts: 35

Bad Player wrote:
A good portion of the post count rule is actually not to prevent multiple threads on the same topic from being made, but to prevent the spambots (which periodically invade) from making oodles and oodles of threads. (In fact, you can see in this thread that we reduced the requirement from 50 to 25 when the spambots died down a bit.)

While being able to make threads immediately would be nice, I doubt having a dozen gibberish threads about porn and viagra in every single subforum would be very inviting.

Like you said, it's a balancing act, to reduce spam from both newbies and from bots. While it may not be 100% ideal for all parties involves, 25 posts really isn't that much; you should be able to make the new thread you want in a few days at most if you're active and work towards it.

Well yeah, I definitely understand the hatred towards spambots. Unfortunately though, even that doesn't really prevent them either because they can still rapidly reply to threads -which a lot of them do. With that being the case, it also means that this is one of the poorer ways of preventing them, and is pretty intrusive on new members to boot. :/ Sure the post count may not be 'that much' but the fact that this thread has already demonstrated that some members have found it confusing and an annoyance suggests that it is probably more trouble than what it is worth.

I'm also going to guess that this was probably put in place when other anti-spam measures were as well, so it's tricky to calculate how effective it actually is at keeping the spammers out. If that's the case then it's basically as effective as Lisa's tiger-repelling rock from The Simpsons.
Image
Image
Page 1 of 1 [ 24 posts ] 
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  

 Board index » General » Bar Exam

Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum
Jump to:  
News News Site map Site map SitemapIndex SitemapIndex RSS Feed RSS Feed Channel list Channel list
Powered by phpBB

phpBB SEO