Board index » General » Bar Exam

Page 2 of 3[ 81 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Re: Policy Discussion ThreadTopic%20Title

Fate Testarossa

Also... Can I get an explanation why 660px width digs was shot down, aside from "It was that way before" (which is an awful and completely non-useful reason)?

Because, to me, it seems like a very... Arbitrary limit on width which is rather narrow...

Fate is made by クロス

Programmer

kwando1313 wrote:
One thread per work sounds like an awful idea with a vibrant arting community. Because... That would get an incredibly large number of theeads, no? And with that, it becomes really difficult to search, no? Unless I'm drastically misinterpreting what you're saying here... I don't like that idea.

Searching would not be done using the topics. It would be done using the database tables for the works. They will track data about each work, making it much easier to search. Want to find everything by one author? Easy. All images featuring your favorite pair of characters? Sure. And, the listings can show thumbnails.
Currently working on a redesign of cr.net itself! Come talk to me about it on Discord!

1000% Knight

Louise wrote:
Bad Player wrote:
I forget the exact issue, but BBC caused the entire forum to crash. For the better part of a year, IIRC.

Yikes, so how will you stop that happening again? Or are you counting on it not being as busy?

It probably won't be as busy, and (hopefully) this time we'll notice if it's becoming a problem before it's too late.
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

In Justice We Trust

kwando1313 wrote:
Also... Can I get an explanation why 660px width digs was shot down, aside from "It was that way before" (which is an awful and completely non-useful reason)?

Because, to me, it seems like a very... Arbitrary limit on width which is rather narrow...

I can only speak for my own vote on the matter, which was nay. I didn't see any pressing need to increase the width limit; 660 pixels strikes me as just as arbitrary a limit as 600 pixels.
I'll always love you, Max.

Fate Testarossa

Well, that's why I was wondering /why/ there even is a width restriction in the first place. A height restriction makes sense, as a sig that's too tall is obtrusive. But... A sig that's too wide is... Honestly not seen at all.

Might as well officially propose it:

Can we just scrap the width limit on sigs? Because to me, it just seems arbitrarily narrow.

Fate is made by クロス

In Justice We Trust

Added. I think I can safely say I will vote against it, so I might as well state my reasoning. My view is that a width limit ensures that no one stretches the screen with an overly wide signature. If it's multiple images next to each other, the site will just break them up into separate lines, which would probably lead to the height limit being violated. If it's one image, either the screen will stretch, the image will be shrunk, or only part of it will be visible at any given time.

Fate Testarossa

Well, can we at least make it something that actually /let's/ the full width of the bottom be used? Like... 1100 pixels wide? (The entire bottom is 1154 pixels.)

Because 600 pixels is obnoxiously small. And, well, it makes no sense /why/ it's so narrow to me. (Yes, I understand overflow is an issue, but almost no screen is that small.)

Fate is made by クロス

In Justice We Trust

On my usual screen resolution, there's room for wider signatures. On lower resolutions, that's not necessarily the case. For example, on 800 × 600 (the lowest resolution my computer allows), my signature is a perfect (or near-perfect) fit as long as my post is long enough that my avatar doesn't get in the way.

Fate Testarossa

Except, that's a resolution standard that basically no one uses any more. 800x600 makes up less than 1% of desktop resolutions.

Spoiler: Data

In comparison, you can see that 79.79% of desktop resolutions, a vast majority of them, have a screen resolution better than 1280px in width.

IE: There's really no reason to keep it that narrow, considering barely anyone uses 800x600 at all.

Fate is made by クロス

A Kirby and AA fan

What about mobile users? Phone screens are usually a lower resolution.

Fate Testarossa

Spoiler:

~70% of mobile users have screens better than 800px width.

Fate is made by クロス

In Justice We Trust

You're missing my point. As long as there are people who use lower resolutions, I'm going to be in favor of accommodating them.

Fate Testarossa

General Luigi wrote:
You're missing my point. As long as there are people who use lower resolutions, I'm going to be in favor of accommodating them.

There are people that visit this site that might be using ridiculously outdated browsers. Are you saying you need to accommodate those people as well?

Like, for example, here's how CR looks like on IE8:

Spoiler:

Using that logic, you have to support this as well, because there might be people using that as well. (It's a similar comparison of numbers. ~0.7% of all web traffic is from IE8 or lower.)

Fate is made by クロス

In Justice We Trust

I'm guessing Internet Explorer 8 doesn't get along with Court Records, but I'm having trouble seeing in your image just what the problem is. Is it the lack of an edit post function, or does that apply to all non-staff (I've been a moderator for too long to remember whether or not I could edit my posts as a regular user)? It is also worth pointing out that I do not have the authority to make Court Records capable of working well with Internet Explorer 8; I can only call for the people who design the site to do something about it. Enforcing a signature limit, on the other hand, is something I can do, to an extent. Administrators have the authority to change people's signatures and moderators have the authority to ban people. Unless you're suggesting we ban the people who designed the site, which isn't an effective means of encouraging them to fix the problem, I don't see what be directly done about the problems with Internet Explorer 8.

For the record, if there is a way to take care of whatever problems you are referring to without causing problems for other browsers, I'm all for implementing it.

Programmer

The thing is, a width limit is technically required. Line breaking content (like text) must have a width to be line broken. And the line breaking controls the resulting height.
Currently working on a redesign of cr.net itself! Come talk to me about it on Discord!

Programmer

So, the meeting didn't happen. Shall we schedule a new meeting for the same time this week?

In Justice We Trust

I don't expect it to end up happening since the next formally scheduled meeting is next week, but I'll make a note to attend.

January 10 Edit: Our meeting adjourned recently. We are beginning to implement our plan to reopen the Berry Big Circus. Users are encouraged to seek out and/or come up with ideas for forum games. A proper date for reopening the board should be chosen at the next meeting. More information can be found here.

Programmer

I'd like to discuss user name policy at the next meeting. In general it's nothing controversial, but here is the current code for the redesign.
Code:
   public function isLegalUserName($name) {

//no attempts at links
      if(stripos($name,'http://')!==false) return false;
      if(stripos($name,'https://')!==false) return false;
      if(stripos($name,'ftp://')!==false) return false;
      if(stripos($name,'www')!==false) return false;
      if(stripos($name,'.com')!==false) return false;

//no newlines or tabs in the name
      if(strpos($name,"\n")!==false) return false;
      if(strpos($name,"\r")!==false) return false;
      if(strpos($name,"\t")!==false) return false;

//no "decorations" on the sides please
      if(preg_match('#^\W+#i', $name )) return false;
      if(preg_match('#\W+$#i', $name )) return false;

//no whitespace at the ends
      if(preg_match('#\s+$#i', $name )) return false;
      if(preg_match('#^\s+#i', $name )) return false;

//no duplicate whitespace at all
      if(preg_match('#\s{2,}#i', $name )) return false;

//no funny business with control codes
      if(preg_match('#\\pC#',$name)) return false;

//no combining characters with more than 2 combinators in a row
      if(preg_match('#\\pM{3,}#',$name)) return false;

//no silly repetitions
      if(preg_match('#(.+)\\1{2,}#i',$name)) return false;

return true;
   }

The comments should explain most of the rules, but the last one is a tad tricky. It basically says: if there is a sequence of characters (that could be just a single character) that repeats three times or more, block it.

AKA Dr. Bokchoy

so it's come to my attention that the bbc isn't viewable if you're not logged into the site. is that on purpose? because if so that's kind of dumb; what reason is there to keep it secret?

In Justice We Trust

I know of none. My guess is that the policy's just a relic of the time when the Berry Big Circus was locked. I'll see what can be done from the Administrator Control Panel, but I won't act until I know if there is a reason for its apparent invisibility to anyone who isn't logged on. I'll have to see if Bolt, Wooster, or Gerkuman know anything.

Edit: Bolt took a look. It should be taken care of now.

Another Edit: In light of the large number of signatures and avatars that until recently exceeded the current file size restrictions, as well as some resentment expressed by repeat offenders toward the recent crackdown on them, I'm proposing that the current file size restrictions be reconsidered. In addition, it's come to my attention that the rules are not clear about whether they mean 1,024 bytes or 1,000 bytes when referring to a kilobyte. As such, I would also like that matter cleared up to avoid any confusion over what the actual file size limits are.

What is my liiiife?!?

I'd like to propose that there be some kind of waiting list for hosting Mafia games, so that the BBC isn't swamped with them. (But not one that's too onerous, I think three games running in tandem would be fine)

AKA Dr. Bokchoy

i'll host all three at once

In Justice We Trust

Proposal added. If we're going to have a waiting list, that implies we'll also need to set a limit to how many active mafia games are allowed at any given time.

Programmer

I think we are going to need to discuss the redesign. Again. Specifically, we need a new manager, the old one is MIA.

AKA Dr. Bokchoy

what happened to gerk?? he should still be around as far as i know

Programmer

That is what I wonder. Somehow he just isn't doing his job.
CR Wants YOUR Opinion!Topic%20Title

In Justice We Trust

He mentioned wanting to discuss the redesign at today's meeting, so he should be there.
Re: CR Wants YOUR Opinion!Topic%20Title

Daniel Muzai

interesting, this forum, is a bomb waiting to be set off.
But One problem with the rules, is NSFW material.

I know I reported a thread in which a user had posted NSFW content on the thread, without putting it in a spoiler tab. It had been up for a decent amount of time.
Instead, all that happened is he put it under spoiler, and labeled it NSFW.
Problem Solved?
I think not, he got away with it for a while, without the admin's knowing. So what's to stop him next time, now I do not know if this was a first time thing or second, so I cannot judge there.
But I think the admin's should suspend them for a week or something for repeated offenders.
Their should be three steps.
1st time warning
2nd time suspension for a week or something
3rd band.
while this seems extreme, and could be extended to two or one more warning. I believe this is the only answer. The thread contained NSFW material, and as so was not labeled that it had any.
That was my main problem with this, he fixed it, but never said that his thread had NSFW on the thread topic.
That is my perspective on it.

I believe a multiple offender system is in place. I'm pretty sure the admins and mods do not ban or suspend someone just for one rule break or leaning too heavily on the line of "It's Okay - Now you're going too far". So if this was the first time, he likely did get a warning via PM by one of the mods or admins.

C-A

Daniel Muzai

CatMuto wrote:
I believe a multiple offender system is in place. I'm pretty sure the admins and mods do not ban or suspend someone just for one rule break or leaning too heavily on the line of "It's Okay - Now you're going too far". So if this was the first time, he likely did get a warning via PM by one of the mods or admins.

C-A

What I thought.

Programmer

Meeting in less than 24 hours, OP forgot to update. The theme will be the redesign.

Programmer

The meeting was canceled due to key people being missing, new meeting the same time this week. And this time, don't get confused by timezones guys.

Key points I'd like discussed:
  • More staff - I am the only developer and there are no other people working on the project. We need someone to do the visuals and an army of people to provide content.
  • Feature planning - We need to know what we had, what's done so far and what we need.
  • Development schedule - It would be nice to know if we are behind or ahead of schedule. To know that, we need a schedule to compare against.
  • Issue tracker - We need a tool to track various issues, be they mere typos or the code crashing.

High level play

henke37 wrote:
The meeting was canceled due to key people being missing, new meeting the same time this week. And this time, don't get confused by timezones guys.

Key points I'd like discussed:
  • More staff - I am the only developer and there are no other people working on the project. We need someone to do the visuals and an army of people to provide content.
  • Feature planning - We need to know what we had, what's done so far and what we need.
  • Development schedule - It would be nice to know if we are behind or ahead of schedule. To know that, we need a schedule to compare against.
  • Issue tracker - We need a tool to track various issues, be they mere typos or the code crashing.

Regarding the Development schedule, when I'm working on big projects I use Gantt charts to keep track on the current status of certain assignments. It's a pretty nifty management tool if you want to know whether things are proceeding smoothly or if you are behind in deadlines. You can try it out for free (indefinitely) on this website if you are interested. http://www.tomsplanner.com/?&refid=59
Face your emptiness don't be afraid. The danger is often smaller than your fear.

Art Person

There's been an influx in posts in the sprite thread today. At first i thought some AAO members were joining CR, but then someone stole my username from AAO (SuperAj3) and copied my entire sprite thread.
If ANY admin sees this, please look into this, I would like the fake accounts (At least the one copying my art) deleted.

The Real Human Being

The Real Human Being

Wait shit I thought you guys wanted ONIONS!

Art Person

DoMaya wrote:
Wait shit I thought you guys wanted ONIONS!

Don't worry, everyone is crying now thanks to the onions.

Programmer

In more interesting news, meeting tonight at the usual time.

The Real Human Being

henke37 wrote:
In more interesting news, meeting tonight at the usual time.

What do you MEAN more interesting!?

Onions wave layers of interesting things!

1000% Knight

Pierre wrote:
Additionally (as I sorta forgot this topic existed) I'd like to ask for more use of Cytube for things, especially gaming-related events like Nintendo Directs. I was sceptical when I first heard the idea (being discussed as a way to watch films) but in practice it looks like it'd work really well for cool things like that.

The biggest issue is just that Nintendo Directs don't happen too often. If you (or anyone else) has any ideas for other events we can stream or anything, feel free to post it here/PM a staff member/suggest it in the CyTube sub-forum.
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!
Page 2 of 3 [ 81 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Board index » General » Bar Exam