Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Global Studios

Page 1 of 1[ 11 posts ]

The Harry Potter MoviesTopic%20Title

Note that this thread is particular about talk of the movies, not the books - unless you are like me and want to point out comparisons and "mistakes" the movies have made.

Well, do you like the Harry Potter movies? ...I don't. The first two were good. The third one was less so, because that's where the decay started for me. They opted more for awesome special effects they could create with CGI or similar, rather than do a movie-telling of the books.

Yes, it's a different medium from the book, so the way of telling things is different, but I am also referring to the movies flat out cutting vital things out. For example, in the fourth movie - and book - Voldemort returns. Testimony of how this was achieved was given by the Death Eater who brought Harry to Voldemort over the course of the year. Later, the book reveals that said Death Eater was kissed by a Dementor, so is now worse off than simply dead and cannot give testimony in an official court, proving that Voldemort is back. The movie? Flat out cuts this out. According to the movie, the Death Eater is in Azkaban, perfectly okay. Nothing prevents him from saying "I did this and that and also this to help my master's resurrection, he is back and will murder again!" Which completely removes any shred of proper proof for the fifth movie that gives a good reason why the entire magical population thinks Harry is a delusional liar.

And when I saw the trailers for movie six, The Half Blood Prince, that showed Tom Riddle Jr to be a chubby little brat compared to the handsome young boy he was in the book... I kind of gave up on watching the movies. I might watch them eventually, just to nitpick all the things they screwed up... but given what I've read on the differences, the last two movies are... pretty incomprehensible, unless you've read the book.

C-A
Re: The Harry Potter MoviesTopic%20Title

Can I hear an "Objection!"?

Yeah... they could have improved on Tom Riddle a lot, now that you mention it.

You have to admit though Michael Gambon played a pretty epic Dumbledore though; it was pretty much my favorite casting. After they changed actors in the third movie, I was pretty pleased with the change; there was no way I could see the first actor playing Dumbledore in all of the badass scenes later in the movies.

Haven't read the books in a long time, but I did remember thinking it would be hard to capture the Durselys as perfectly as they did in the book, but I think they did a pretty good job.
Mr. Edgeworth, do you realize if we played by the rules, we'd be in court right now?

(My father spent three years restoring this car...)

Enoshima Junko-chan!

In the Deathly Hallows movies, the scene in which Harry disarms Draco is completely absent. Thanks for leaving out a VITAL scene and then mentioning it at the end of Part 2. Part 2 also doesn't explain why Harry gets to come back to life either.

MBr wrote:
In the Deathly Hallows movies, the scene in which Harry disarms Draco is completely absent. Thanks for leaving out a VITAL scene and then mentioning it at the end of Part 2. Part 2 also doesn't explain why Harry gets to come back to life either.

Ugh! Then again, I recall them wanting to cut Kreacher out of the movie. Rowling intervened, saying he "might be important later on", so they gave him a damn 2 second cameo. And then they cut out Kreacher's role at the end of that film and his role in the 7th book so much that they could've left him out entirely and it would have made no difference.

C-A

Enoshima Junko-chan!

And then there's the two way mirror, which makes its film appearance in Deathly Hallows Part 1, but appeared first in book 5.

[Whip the cream!]

I remember gazing tenderly at Tom Riddle when I was a little brat watching Harry Potter and the chamber of secrets.
Gimme a "P"! Gimme an "I"! Give me a "P" and an "E"! What's that spell?! Pipe!

Gardevoir lover

I've never sat down to watch the later movies, now the first ones, i freaking love those movies and i will watch them whenever they come on TV. :D

My DA account can be found here: http://klonoahedgehog.deviantart.com/

Enoshima Junko-chan!

I watched the first four movies over and over when I was a kid. I'm not really a fan of the darker tone in the rest of them. What was disappointing was that the original theme by John Williams was only present in the first two or three movies.

Happy Maria

I liked the first three movies. They not only are fine adaptations of the book,but hold up as movies too,which should also be taken into consideration imo. The fourth one was not that great and the fifth and sixth are alright. The first part of the seventh movie was the worst. So dull and basically nothing happens. The conclusion is alright I guess.

The series started off good but ended on a 'Meh,that was a movie' note,

I was 5 when I watched Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone at the movies for the first time with my parents. Either 5 or 6, I don't remember very well. After watching the movie, I decided I wanted to read the books. From that moment on, I always purchased the books in the same year they were released (being more specific, my parents gave them to me). When the last book was released, in 2007, I was 11. I was too young to create a critical view of the series as a whole at the time I read the books, but they had a huge impact on my childhood and teenage years. I'm very proud of being part of the HP generation. This is the kind of thing that stays with you for your whole life.

Anyway. My interest in the books overshadowed my interest in the movies, to the point that I didn't watch the movies after the fourth one. But I liked the Chamber of Secrets movie. Something about that movie worked especially well for me, at least when I was a kid. Maybe the suspense? It was almost like a horror movie for child!me. The basilisk. OMG.

I purchased a new box with the complete series of books some weeks ago, cuz the books I have are kind of fucked up and old. When I finish reading all of them, I plan on watching the movies to compare, but I'm not that excited at all about them.

Danksgiving

i hate how the fourth movie cuts out so much from the World Cup
Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Global Studios