Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Global Studios

Page 1 of 2[ 48 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next

So, whose gonna go see 300?Topic%20Title

Good 'til the last drop.

I'm gonna go next Saturday. I would've gone Opening Day, but I have a debate that day. u_u

This movie is gonna pwn so hard.

"This is madness."
"Madness? This is SPARTAAAAAAAAAAAA!
ImageImage
The best part of waking up, is Godot in your cup. :godot:
Re: So, whose gonna go see 300?Topic%20Title

未来の遂行者

This movie looks amazing. I probably won't see it on opening day, but I will whiting the week.

spr fckn srs peepz

I dunno. It's still a Frank Miller produced movie featuring a comic he made that has a whole lotta flopping penises (and I wish I was joking).

I'll still get dragged to see it, though. :P
http://vanderlund.blogspot.com - Because the only fantasy worlds I like are those I write myself.

4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42

idk if i wanna see this after recently going over Sparta's history
in my western history class :P, some of the details had everyone thinking wtf...

EDIT: in other words yah maybe Lol its bloody action, im there! Redd White
Chibi characters are my greatness weakness >.< theyre too cute!!!!!
LOL that and girls :P
i am currently Acro

300 looks pretty tight. I'm definitely gonna check it out when it comes out.

Mitsuko is going to get you.

I'm sure as hell going to see it. Then I'm going to kick my enemies into bottomless pits. Forgive me for posting this, and sorry the ASCII is kinda rough.

"This is madness!"

……………………………/;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;,-'' ~--~': :¯¯ :''': : ¯: : '''-„;;;;;;;;;\
………………………….,';;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;,-': : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :'''-„;;;;',
………………………….|;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;/: : : : : : ' -: : : : : , -'': : : : : : : \;;;;;'|
………………………….',;;;;;;;;;;;;;;,':|: : : : : : : : : ',: : : : : : :,-~: : : :'',;;;;\
…………………………..|;;;;;;;;;;;;„-': _„„-~~'''''''~-„_: :,: : : | : ,-~~---„„_: ',;;;\
…………………………..|;;;;;;;;;;,': ::,'„-~'''''¯¯¯''''-„-''::-'~--- „ :;"_¯¯¯_ '' : :',;;;',
…………………………..|;;;;;;;;;,': : : : :,~''¯o¯'''): ;;;;;:|:: :,|: :'„_ o__''~,: :',;;|
…………………………..|;;;;;;;;,': : : : : :¯¯¯¯¯__,-'','::|: : :'''„:'~--¯: : : : : :|;;|
…………………………..'-,;;;;;;;',::: : : : :¯¯¯¯: : : ::::: : : : : „: :''' : : : : : :|;;|
…………………………….|;,~,;;;|::: : : : : : : : : : ,-'¯'',:::: : : :|''-„: : : : : : :''-'\
…………………………….',|:::|;,':::::: : : : : : : : :/'-„„-_: : : :_„„-''\: : : : : : : ': |
……………………………..|:::|;;|:::::: : : : : : : :,';;;;;;;;¯¯''''';;;;;;;;;\: : : :| : : :,'\
……………………………..',::|;;;\:::: : : : : : : ,';;;;;;;;;_„„„„_„„;;;;;;;;',: : :|: : :/;,'
………………………………'''~\;;;',:::: : : : : :/;;;;;;;„-"______''''~„;;;',: :,': :,';;/ THIS IS SPARTAAAAAAA!
………………………………….',;;;''-„:::::::::,';;;;;;,':,-';;~-----~';\: :|;;;|: :| ,-';;/
……………………………………\;;;;;''-„::::,';;;;;;,':/;'';;;;,;;;;;;;;;',:|;;;''-„„-'';;;/|
……………………………………..\;;;;;;;''~;;;;;;;|: |;;;;;;;,;;;;;;;;;|:|;;;;;;;;;;,': |____
……………………………………..|:',;;;;;;;;;;;;;,':',: '-,;;;;;;;;;;;,-':,':|;;;;;;;;;|''¯::::::::'''''~~~--„
…………………………_______„„„|:::\;;;;;;;;;;;|: :'' -„:'''~----~'':,-': :|;;;;;;;;|¯¯¯''''''''~-„„::::::::|
……………………..„„-''_:::::::::::::,|::::',;;;;;;;;;',: : : '''-„„__„„-''__: :|;;;;;;;,'''''~-„;;;;;;;;;'''''-„::::\
………………_„„-~''|: ,':::::::::::::,-':|::::|;;;;;;;;;;;\: : :'''¯¯¯¯¯'''': : :,';;;;;;;|: : : : :''''-„„;;;;;;;;'''-„:'-,„__
…………._„-'''::::::::|: |::::::::::,-''::,-':::::\;;;;;;;;;;;;'''~--„„_::::::_„„-'';;;;;;;;;|: ' ,: : : : : '''~-„_„-''¯:::::::''-„_
……….,-''„_:::::::::::',: \:,-'::::|: :-'': : ::::::\;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;|: : : :__„„„==~''''''¯¯:::::::::::::''''~-„„
………./: : :'',:,-~''¯¯, ::\::::::|: : : : : :::::::\;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;,''~~'''¯::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::''''~-„
…….,-': : : :,-',-|¯¯: : : :',:::,': : :-'': : :::::::::''-„;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;/::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::''''-„„_
…..,-': :''-,: /:::,': : : : : : :',:/: : : :,-''::::::::::,-''':\;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;,-'''::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::~~~-----„„„„__:::::::::::''''-„„
p../: : : ' -,/:::/: : : : : : : : \|: : : : : :-''::::,-'::::::'''-„;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;„-''::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::'''''''~~~--„„:::'''-„„
m/: : : : : |:::|: : : : : : : : :|: : : : : : :-:::::::::::::::''''''~~~--~~'''::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::''''~„

nuuuuu, stoooooop

I'm totally there. There's been a lot of bitching by some critics about the historical accuracy of it (or rather, the lack of it), but who cares? I don't go to the movies for a history lesson. I want to see men in thongs kill things.

*ahem*

I mean, I want to see the splendid cinematography. Frank Miller kinda seems like an ass, but watching some of the making-of clips on G4 got me really excited to see it. Like how they strapped three cameras together so they could transition smoothly between close and wide shots.

And I loved the Sin City movie, so chances are I'll enjoy 300. Marv is my hero.
ImageImage

Struck by a blunt objection

...Eh? How come everyone is talking about something I've never heard about? Gregory

stirring

Mikker wrote:
...Eh? How come everyone is talking about something I've never heard about? Gregory

It's not really being actively talked about anywhere other than the internet, it seems. Check out some trailers and you'll see what they're having orgasms over.
If you come across an older post of mine, sowwy

;-;

Maybe.

It looks like a decent action flick, and it looks like it will capture some moments of awesome. But, I have this distinct feeling that it'll lack any meaningful substance. Just alot of men yelling about dining in hell and something about blotting out the sun.

Blood, guts, SPARTAAAAAAAA!!!!, and not much else. I might pass.

stirring

Z3r02007 wrote:
Maybe.

It looks like a decent action flick, and it looks like it will capture some moments of awesome. But, I have this distinct feeling that it'll lack any meaningful substance. Just alot of men yelling about dining in hell and something about blotting out the sun.

Blood, guts, SPARTAAAAAAAA!!!!, and not much else. I might pass.

If the trailers any indication, it will be a very quotable "blood, guts, SPAAAAAAAARTAAAA" film.

Nope

No offense. But I I'll wait for "The Last Mimzy" instead. (Fantasy>History kinda person)

spr fckn srs peepz

Croik wrote:
I mean, I want to see the splendid cinematography. Frank Miller kinda seems like an ass, but watching some of the making-of clips on G4 got me really excited to see it. Like how they strapped three cameras together so they could transition smoothly between close and wide shots.

Frank Miller isn't an ass more than he cannot, for the life of him, write a story without whores. I haven't read 300 the comic (nor do I really plan to. Have any of you ever seen it? It's awkwardly edited and printed), but ever since I've read his stories, he just can't write if there's no sex and gratuitious violence involved.

Kinda like Garth Ennis, except Ennis is funny.
http://vanderlund.blogspot.com - Because the only fantasy worlds I like are those I write myself.

Master of sharp things!

It looks entertaining, and the trailers are pretty cool. I just hope this isn't like Snakes on a Plane, where the internet hype was phenomenal but the movie itself never came close to living up to it.

;-;

Blademaster_Orca wrote:
It looks entertaining, and the trailers are pretty cool. I just hope this isn't like Snakes on a Plane, where the internet hype was phenomenal but the movie itself never came close to living up to it.

Bullcrap. Snakes was awesome. D:<

stirring

Attorney Hatman wrote:
Croik wrote:

Frank Miller isn't an ass more than he cannot, for the life of him, write a story without whores. I haven't read 300 the comic (nor do I really plan to. Have any of you ever seen it? It's awkwardly edited and printed), but ever since I've read his stories, he just can't write if there's no sex and gratuitious violence involved.

Sin City was the personification of his work, I assume?

So moe for Makoto it's funny.

Attorney Hatman wrote:
Croik wrote:

I LOVED 300 the comic. There's the oracle and some moments with Leonidas' wife (who advises him in like everything)... but no whores.
Image (Awesome sig art by Axl99!)

I'm Kamen Mask!

I am so seeing it as soon as it's IMAX'd in the UK.

Madness? This is SPARTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!1

stirring

Bayfield wrote:
I am so seeing it as soon as it's IMAX'd in the UK.

Madness? This is SPARTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!1

http://nessparta.ytmnd.com/

Good 'til the last drop.

Blademaster_Orca wrote:

Blasphemy. <_<

SoaP was awesome.
ImageImage

nuuuuu, stoooooop

Having seen the movie a few hours ago, I can safely say that it FUCKING ROCKS.

History buffs, stay away! It's not accurate and no one cares. But it was 2 hours of the hottest bare abs I've ever seen laying waste to hordes of evil doods and ninja trolls. That gets it two thumbs up in my book.

CROIK APPROVES Enguard

It's not exactly a subtle, romantic tale, but if you go in expecting bad-assery you won't be disappointed.
ImageImage

Good 'til the last drop.

So, will it give my eyes boners and make me shit copies of the Transporter DVD?

<_<
ImageImage

That Guy No one Knows

I saw this last night.
Awesome! See it when you can, it's really good.

Rookie Illuminati Member

I've seen the ads today, and surely it's visually impressive. But I've never read the graphic novel, nor do I enjoy smashing-only films(I get bored easily by them)...in addiction, I am...I don't know...slighty amused and confused by the retelling of Greek history and mithology in a consciously non-accurate, fantastic (and non-Greek) way.

Any suggestions?

spr fckn srs peepz

F_For_FranziskaDOO wrote:
I've seen the ads today, and surely it's visually impressive. But I've never read the graphic novel, nor do I enjoy smashing-only films(I get bored easily by them)...in addiction, I am...I don't know...slighty amused and confused by the retelling of Greek history and mithology in a consciously non-accurate, fantastic (and non-Greek) way.

Any suggestions?

Go see it.

nuuuuu, stoooooop

Any suggestions?

You don't have to have read the graphic novel to enjoy the movie (I didn't). And there are some breaks from the smashing. And considering how fantastical and unrealistic a lot of Greek mythology is anyway, I don't see why anyone retelling it in an even more grand and fantastical way is doing them a disservice. Spartans were bad asses. I'm sure if they were still around they would love being portrayed as even more bad ass (and pretty~ Dr? Hotti ) than ever.
ImageImage

stirring

Rookie Illuminati Member

Croik wrote:

Any suggestions?

You don't have to have read the graphic novel to enjoy the movie (I didn't). And there are some breaks from the smashing. And considering how fantastical and unrealistic a lot of Greek mythology is anyway, I don't see why anyone retelling it in an even more grand and fantastical way is doing them a disservice. Spartans were bad asses. I'm sure if they were still around they would love being portrayed as even more bad ass (and pretty~ Dr? Hotti ) than ever.

I don't have any problems with fantasy whatsoever (I enjoy some of it, even), but this is not the retelling of an ancient myth; this is the retelling of (ancient) history. Bringing this to an extreme, how would you feel if WW2 were to be portrayed as myth?

This is not the thing that concerns me the most, however ; the thing I might be annoyed with is the "slapping" of the American mindset and clichès into the Greek ones, which were very, very different (if this does happen, I don't know). I am capable of viewing it as a fantastical, myth-like retake, disjointed from reality, but, again, wouldn't it have been better if the story and settings had been imagined from scratch? What's the point of bringing an over 2000 years old piece of history and re-imagining it just for the sake of the fantastical, without adding anything from the historical perspective(if not actually detracting)? "Giant Enemy Crabs"? Sal

nuuuuu, stoooooop

I dunno, DOO, what's the point of doing ANY historical piece? They're never going to be completely accurate. That's why it's historical fiction. I have serious doubts that *any* account of history that's several thousand years old is going to be "accurate" in any sense of the word anyway.

Besides, if someone wanted to do a super comicy bad ass version of WWII, I'd probably watch it. Aren't there already video games that do that? Moreover, I majored in Japanese--I studied a ton of history, and it doesn't bother me when games like Onimusha portray real men of the times as super-human or demons from Hell.

Or, for that matter, when Phoenix Wright depicts a totally outlandish and borderline nonsensical rendition of a justice system. Is it more important to keep a historical fiction story accurate than one about current culture? Hell, I just watched The Story of Riki-oh the other day. No one complains that it's simply not possible to try together your own snapped tendons. You're not supposed to--that's not the point.

The point of 300 is NOT to be accurate. The director admits to changing things specifically so that they would not be accurate. It's not something I consider worthy of panty-twisting, but if you can't just sit back and enjoy I'd suggest not seeing it after all. You'll be too busy nit-picking the changes they made to appreciate what it's really meant to be.
ImageImage

Rookie Illuminati Member

Croik wrote:
You'll be too busy nit-picking the changes they made to appreciate what it's really meant to be.

I'm not that kind of terrible nerd Lana . I know it was NOT made to be accurate, but to be grander (and as I said, it's visually impressive). If there are spectacular (and coherent) giant enemy crabs, so let them be. If the helmets are not historically accurate, I frankly don't care. If they are cooler, it's even better.

It's the ideological side that always matters more to me. Now, I've skimmed down some "300" reviews and impressions, and there were some sentences that stroke me:

"They even couple their death wish with ahistorical sentiments about "defending freedom" from Persian slavery and mysticism, though this hardly jibes with the regime the movie itself reveals.

It's noticeable, too, how Miller and his collaborators strain to disavow any whiff of homosexuality (well known throughout ancient Greece), even as they strip their buff warriors down to highly impractical leather briefs. Athenians are dismissed as "boy-lovers," but Spartans are real men. "

I DO care about this, instead. "Defending Greece's freedom"? Greek poleis were almost always at war with each other, and Greece was absolutely not an "Unite State" Von Karma . They held brief alliances in case there was an alien impending threat (the Persians), but, when the war would be over, they would keep on declaring war at each other (to put it very, very shortly Redd White ) . And what about Greek homosexuality? It was widely common in Sparta too-generally, in Greece, male homosexuality was regarded as the most perfect form of earthly love (as the women were considered inferior).
Am I the only one who sees a quite scary modern message and commentary here Dr. Grey ?

Now I know I have to see the movie, just to clear all my questions.

nuuuuu, stoooooop

The reviews are really unfair in a lot of ways, though. In the movie, the plot is as simple as "Persia is trying to take us over--we're fighting to keep them from doing that." Of COURSE they are fighting for their freedom. Freedom from becomming slaves to Persia. There's no "secret agenda" about it.

The only mention anywhere as to homosexuality is Leonidas putting down the Athenians as "artists and boy-lovers" or something similar. It's not like he roared on about SPARTANS WOULD NEVER DO THAT. He was flaunting Sparta's superiority as a state of warriors.

(You could just as easily say, "Spartans don't play with little boys - they play with MEN". Probably not what Miller meant but I still don't see how it's a legitimate criticism).

And the "mysticism" line makes sense in the context of the movie. Leonidas has very good reasons to distrust magic and tradition. Anyone not a film critic determined to make the movie offensive would have realized this.

Everyone is DETERMINED to put the movie into a modern East vs West context, but it's simply not there.
ImageImage

seems interesting!

Quote:
Am I the only one who sees a quite scary modern message and commentary here
I think so. About the only parallels between 300 Sparta and modern US is the jingoism both states exhibit, and that's common to any state during wartime.

Paddy O'Reily O'Shwartzenburg

Just saw it today, and was thoroughly impressed and entertained.

I had read a review that did the 'US. vs. Middle East' thing, and I didn't see it. Till, at least, I thought about it later--I think the critics might be reading something into it, which...is there, just not how they want it to be. To be honest, for this to be about 'America vs. the Middle East,' it would mean that Sparta is the ME and Persia is America--which is probably not how many people would wish it to be 'read.' I hate these sort of blind readings of movies and books; this reeks of the same nonsense as "HOW IS THE US LIKE THE ROMAN EMPIRE?!"

Who knows, anymore?

I will be seeing this movie this coming weekend, so I'll post here again next week.

Norwegian

I'm going to see it next week or something.
Looking forward to it, but I won't try to hype it.

Oh, and talking about Sin City (we arn't?) am I the only one who think Gumshoe is a perfect mix of Marv and Hartigan?

Paddy O'Reily O'Shwartzenburg

If Marv somehow stopped being a homicidal (but lovable!) nutjob and Hartigan lost all of his detective skills, I guess.

>:C SUMO

Dude, I have whole collection of edited scenes if you want them.

;-;

Now that I've been reading reviews, 300 looks kinda...

empty.

The biggest complaint I noticed was a complete lack of depth. One critic said that it has some fantastic action sequences, but they get old fast (he really got sick of all the slowdowns). And, he said that the stuff in between the gratuitous violence was shallow and ripped verbatim from the comic book.

I'm thinking that I should just pass, and rent it on DVD once.

stirring

Z3r02007 wrote:
Now that I've been reading reviews, 300 looks kinda...

empty.

The biggest complaint I noticed was a complete lack of depth. One critic said that it has some fantastic action sequences, but they get old fast (he really got sick of all the slowdowns). And, he said that the stuff in between the gratuitous violence was shallow and ripped verbatim from the comic book.

I'm thinking that I should just pass, and rent it on DVD once.

Reading so many negative reviews can make anybody's opinion of something drop.

Trust me, it's worth seeing in theaters, but if you sit through and think it out, you'll only ruin the fun. It's a fast, violent, enjoyable movie, and that's it.

Huh. I didn't know brothels had coupons.

I love this movie so hard. Saw it on opening day, and then again on Sunday. I want to have this movie's babies and raise them to be SPARTANS!

<_<;
>_>;

Sorry. Anything that has that much manflesh and that much gore and violence is bound to make Silvy jest a little giddy. I'm a history buff. Dad is a history buff. (He's even worse than I am, going so far as to snark people for not having nice, period armor when they're in the SCA.) This is the only movie that we can geek out to together.

Besides. Naked Gerard Butler and semi-naked David Wenham makes this movie pure greatness. To be honest, when the whole thing exploded over on fandom_wank, I joined in with the choruses of "But the men are pretty! I don't see the problem here." It's a film to go to when you want a fast, violent, and thoroughly enjoyable romp, not a historically accurate film. Frank Miller is not known for his historical accuracy. I read the graphic novel 300. Greek men did not wander to war in nothing but their birthday suits. I am thoroughly versed in what the Greeks used in battle. I've had knowledge like this crammed into me since I was little.

To be perfectly honest, if I wanted to watch a historical movie, I'd pop in Downfall or something similar. I went in expecting to be entertained, and I was not disappointed.

As far as reviews go, my particular favorite was on Rotten Tomatoes and went something like, "I am fully comfortable and secure in my masculinity, but I do believe ten minutes in the company of those men would make me spontaneously sprout ovaries."

So go and see it, bask in the pretty, and enjoy yourself. Save the historical nit picking for movies who claim to be historically accurate.
Page 1 of 2 [ 48 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Global Studios