Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Global Studios

Page 2 of 2[ 48 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2

Re: So, whose gonna go see 300?Topic%20Title

nuuuuu, stoooooop

Right on, Silvy! Franziska The movie is shameless in its singular desire to be machismo-crammed entertainment. That's all it wants to be, that's all it delivers. And that's what makes it so successful.

Quote:
And, he said that the stuff in between the gratuitous violence was shallow and ripped verbatim from the comic book.

Is this a bad thing? (That it was direct from the comic book, not the shallow part--I didn't think the Queen's role was all that shallow, in the context of a movie that's not all that deep to begin with). This is the only movie I've ever heard of where people complain about it being TOO CLOSE to the source material. Usually it's LOTR nuts wailing about cuts that were made, and thus making the film inferior.

Is it just because it's a comic book that it gets this reaction, I wonder? If the movie was taken directly from a short story, would critics still put "a very faithful adaptation" into the Cons section of their review?
ImageImage

Paddy O'Reily O'Shwartzenburg

Obviously because we all know comics cannot hold any amount of intelligence or wit. Unlike Tolkein's 900+ page lumbering, snoring behemoths.

Huh. I didn't know brothels had coupons.

Everybody is getting all bent out of shape about how slow the movie was. I think it was the slow motion shots of everyone getting bloody and dirty and massacred. Personally, I loved the stylized bits of blood and gore. It's more of that Frank Miller touch that makes is movies fantastic to watch. As someone who appreciates good movies with lots of men in loincloths prancing around for all the girls to squee at fantasy movies, this has jumped to one of my favorites.

But the Queen. Where do I begin? I'm totally girl crushing on her. She showed a surprising amount of character depth despite the fact that Frank Miller is messed up in the head about women. She was a brave no-nonsense woman who didn't take any crap from ANYBODY, least of all the Persian emissary.

Spoiler:
And I appreciated the fact that she could stab Theron in the gut for being such a greedy, opportunistic bastard. (We applauded in the theater, both times I saw it, when it happened.) And she made no compunctions about being willing to do anything for Leonidas to help him.

All in all, a strong woman, that Queen Gorgo. *fangirls*

(Please don't get me started in on the Tolkien debate. Argh. I will be talking for days.)

stirring

Silvy wrote:
But the Queen. Where do I begin? I'm totally girl crushing on her.

I totally have a man-crush on Gerard Butler now.

Yes, I just saw it. Yes, Croik, Silvy, Kenji- you guys are so fucking right. If you were in IRC, you already know how much I loved it. I don't feel like going on and on about it, again, so I'll just leave it at this:

:D
If you come across an older post of mine, sowwy

;-;

I'm not complaining about historical accuracy, or the lack-there-of. That's not what the critics are talking about either (well, the good ones anyway). They're talking about all the stuff between the violence. They're saying that the fluff in between is devoid of any content or story. I believe the word here is shallow.

Why would the sages talk to Leonitus about not taking the titular unit against the Persians? We all know he's going to fight any way. The director had a great resource to work with, but why didn't he expand on the notion of the comic book? I haven't seen the film, nor read the comic book, so I have a few more questions. Such as, does the movie explain why the Persians are attacking Sparta? Why does Leonitus look so pissed off? What about the other 299 guys? Why do they need to fight this fight? What is at stake?

As far as the story goes, I've read it goes like this.

Spoiler:
Leonitus gets pissed at the Persians, Ephialtes is blown off by Leonitus for being a hunchback, Queen sleeps with some dude, Ephialtes was right, 300 are surrounded, story teller lies about 300's victory, 300 die.

My big problem is that, yes I am certainly capable of turning my brain off for two hours, but I shouldn't have to. There are plenty of action-packed movies with a great story to go along with it.

If you enjoy the flick, by all means, be my guest. I'm not here to say your tastes are wrong. But to be perfectly honest, it really doesn't look like my cup of tea.

I really want to see 300, but due to R rated things (I'm only 15, y'know ;-;), I'm not allowed to.

So I did the next best thing.

Spoiler: Sprite Comic

...I have too much free time. <____<

Who knows, anymore?

Whoops, forgot to post here again...yes, I too have finally seen 300.

It was awesome. A lot of good action scenes. Plot was meh, but I went to see it for all the action.

I'm about to tell this guy!

Me and my friends had to try 3 times before we were actually allowed in the theater. The first time was the worst, cause they have a cop in the back of the hall to make sure you're with an adult. Which means if your parent BUYS your ticket and leaves, you can't see the movie... But of course, they only let you know this when you're 2 DOORS away from the right theater #. By then, you have to go alllll the way back to the ticket booth and get a refund. Some ol' bullshit, this is age discrimination. I've been mature enough for this movie since the seventh grade.

That aside, it was amazing.
Page 2 of 2 [ 48 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2

Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Global Studios