Board index » Roleplay » Berry Big Circus

Page 20 of 21[ 818 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

Re: Ghost Fables ~ Living Thread Final ChapterTopic%20Title

Meta looks down at Ingrid, her hands folded, "Naturally, this ordeal has been wearing very hard on all of you. I can't help but feel the years of hardship both before and after Gideon's death are a factor here."

She turns away, almost knocking into a lamp, slightly startled because she hadn't expected a lamp to be there. "Anyway, with the way her mind works, I wouldn't be surprised if this is just her way of conserving energy so she can spend more brainpower on that locked tomb. We can stay here and tend to her for now."

"Edna, the only person who should feel guilty is the culprit. And even so, maybe if we heard their reasons, we would understand why they did those horrible things."

Shy guy

"What are you fools doing?! Wake up, snap out of it! Don't let that wretch just walk out of here!" a voice suddenly rang out across the foyer.

The voice was familiar, but most hadn't heard it sound so strong and certain for years now. People turned to see Albrecht descending the stairs on foot, looking for all the world like the last 5 years hadn't happened. There was no more doubting it: he must have been faking both his physical and mental weakness all along, for some mad scheme of his own. He was just the same as he'd always been, looking down on the rest of the family as he continued admonishing them. "Who cares about Ingrid right now, that maid is the only one who matters! After her!"

"M-master, wait!" Verrier called out, as Albrecht headed straight for the trapped front door. "Didn't you hear what she said? Juna-" Albrecht completely ignored him however, and before anyone could stop him, pushed the front door open.

The was a pained silence as the next few moments seemed to stretch out... and then time marched on again, as did Albrecht, completely oblivious to what he'd just done. He strode off into the blizzard, leaving Verrier gaping at the door. The C4 had, somehow, not gone off. After all, Albrecht did not kill anyone during the events of the story.

Happy Maria

"What." Edna elucidated.

That's not what elucidated means, Meta thinks to herself, shaking her head.

She gazes at the open door, "It's like it hasn't been a day since five years ago. Even if he faked his condition, I would think he would still have rotted in his self-dereliction. Should we make sure he doesn't get hurt?"

Shy guy

Verrier glanced between the open door and Ingrid. Years of conditioning compelled him to want to go after Albrecht, but seeing him just now had reminded him of his last face-to-face meeting with the man, where Albrecht had half-drowned him for suggesting they abandon the headship to keep things peaceful. Was it really worth following his duty for such a man if it meant abandoning a patient? He'd only become a doctor for Albrecht's sake, but all those years of medical tuition, the friends he'd made at the college, the life he'd lived outside of Albrecht's influence: did it have meaning too? "I don't... What should I do?" he asked helplessly.

Albrecht didn't seem to even notice the cold as he powered through the snowstorm, following Juna's tracks. Sheer force of will was sustaining him. He was so close now, close to the only thing that had truly mattered to him in these past years. He soon came to a stop near the cliffside, staring at his target with a gun in his hands; the same gun he'd found abandoned in the snow some hours ago. Last time was a failure, when he'd tried to shoot Juna as the group travelled between Geistfabel's two buildings; he wouldn't make the same mistake twice.

Levelling the rifle at her, he called out, "There's nowhere to run, ingrate! You know what I want, so why don't we make this simple?"

No other way than to make this mistake.

Juna had been walking for an uncomfortably long while now. The snowstorm almost took its toll on her, but she convinced herself that she had come too far to give up now. She had planned too far ahead to simply roll over in defeat. What could she even say to Lynde and Edna if she stopped now? At the very least, she had to succeed for them too. Some may have called her delusional, but she knew she was right in what she did. Though, the voice from behind her had not gone unnoticed; turning around to face Albrecht, she pulled up a makeshift scarf to better cover her neck. Defiantly, she stared right at the man, stopping in her tracks.

"Here for my ring again, are you? Did you come back from the dead just to haunt me like Gideon?" She spat in a ridiculing way, "You're going to have to pry it out of my cold, dead hands! All of this, all of what I've done, all the people I had to leave behind, you'd think I'd just give it all up because a decrepit ghost of the past like you wants me to?!" The maid cried out, reaching for something in her waistcoat pocket at the same time.

Shy guy

"Of course not! I expect you to give it all up because I have a gun pointed at your head!" Albrecht shouted back, though truth be told between his aged body and the awful weather conditions he was having a hard time actually keeping on target. "You know I'm the rightful heir! Everyone knows it, even if they don't like to admit it. Gideon played dirty to force dad's hand, all I'm doing here is putting things back the way they should be. But you? You're no-one! You're not even a von Brandauer! Not a single person on this island would accept you being the new head."

"Then I'll make them accept it," Juna spat back, "This is just means to an end for me. What I do is for my family, and my family alone! That includes none of you!" She called out, immediately taking out the steak knife she hid in her pocket, crouching and sprinting towards Albrecht. She tried to keep her profile low, as she knew her only chance in this was the man being too old to aim properly. The snowstorm was covering her somewhat as well. Though it made running painful, this was the last stretch.

Finally, she would soon be able to see her family again.

Shy guy

Reacting quickly, Albrecht fired but missed. With a curse he quickly adjusted and fired again, catching Juna on the arm, but it wasn't enough to slow her and in the next moment she was upon him. She would find him to be a surprisingly tough opponent though: he had an obsession with self-betterment, and despite his age had put in a lot of work to maintain his strength and skills. He tried to bash her head with the rifle, as ruthless a fighter as he was a person.

Juna let out a scream as the bullet hit her, but she persevered nonetheless. She desperately tried pushing the rifle stock away with her left hand, while trying to impale the man with the steak knife in her right. The maid almost succeeds, but it only slices through the outside of Albrecht's chest. Seeing that fail, she crouched and tried a leg sweep.

Shy guy

As Albrecht tumbled, he reached out and grabbed Juna's sleeve, slamming her into the ground as well. He did his best to pin the arm that still held the knife, and used his free hand to start punching Juna in the face. "I tried to make this simple! I gave you that choice!" he yelled, looking quite deranged.

The maid certainly didn't expect a move like that from someone like Albrecht. It evidently caught her off guard as she rolled around the ground before being pinned.

She is then appropriately punched in the face, but it wasn't enough to blow the wind out of her sails. With her other hand, she manages to grab Albrecht's. "And I made mine -- I'll kill you here, once and for all!"

Juna then used the gripped hand as leverage to headbutt the man as hard as she could, attempting to reverse the pin at the very least.

Shy guy

"Gah!" Albrecht yelled out as he recoiled, giving Juna the chance she needed to roll them over and pin him. He may have been strong for an old man, but he was still only strong for an old man. In his younger days he could have probably thrown Juna off, but not now. Instead he was forced to wrestle with her over control of the knife, which was being pushed dangerously close to his neck. "You think you've killed a lot of people today? You've a child compared to me! You'll just be another one of many."

Juna put all of her weight on the knife, which was most likely a mistake she was oblivious to. "I killed what was necessary to live the life my family deserved. I took from monsters like you!" She cried out, pushing the knife further.

Shy guy

"Sure, I'm a monster. And that's why you can't beat me!" Albrecht wheezed. They struggled for a few more moments, before Albrecht suddenly shifted. The knife went to one side, stabbing through his shoulder, and Juna went with it, slipping due to the force she'd been applying. Albrecht rolled with it, getting back on top and successfully wrenching the knife from Juna's hands. In one smooth motion he tore it free from his shoulder and drove it into her chest, staring down at her in glee. "This is the real world, kid, and here the monsters always win!" he roared triumphantly, grabbing the ring from her hand and pushing himself to his feet.

He stood on bloodied snow, against the expanse of the ocean as a backdrop as he examined the ring, oblivious to everything around him, even his own pain. "Finally... After all this time, finally it's mine! The headship is where it rightfully belongs! Mine, it's mine!"

Juna's dream was extinguished in nothing more than a few decisive seconds. She lay motionless while the blood paints the snow beneath her in a hearty crimson. In the end, it all ended up amounting to nothing. Maybe what the man towering over her said was right.

But at the very least, she could still make half of it up.

In one swift motion, she stood up and wrapped her arms around Albrecht and, while choking on her own blood, whispered --

"The real world is unfair, isn't it?"

-- and then leapt off the cliff with her remaining strength, bringing her target with her.

[Scene Music]

Edna had just barely made it to the cliffside as the two had flown off it. She attempted to reach out to Juna, and perhaps would've fallen if not pulled back by Agnes.

The two contenders, ring between their hands fell towards the turbulent waters and rocks below--all the way to certain death.

Not long after, everybody gathered back in the foyer. It seemed Verrier had made his decision, staying by Ingrid's side. He was supplying her with an IV drip that would usually be used for Albrecht. It was still unclear what was wrong with her.

It was hard to comprehend the last few hours. Everybody was understandably shaken up, and couldn't settle their own nerves. And yet it seemed the nightmare was finally over, as well as the fight for the headship.

Meta shivers in the cold a good deal away from the fight, watching it. In the end, she hobbles her way back into the mansion and prepares herself some coffee, not bothering Jolina as the only remaining servant.

"Well, that probably is the end for that old man. He and Juna tumbled off the cliff out there in a fight. Somehow I think less of him now seeing him fight our captor than I did before. Though that was always one of Albrecht's talents," she takes a long sip, savoring the taste of her drink.

ASCEND

Fritz hadn’t gone anywhere near the fight. Despite everything, he seemed to be too distracted by Ingrid’s state. Upon hearing of Albrecht and Juna’s fate, he seemed to bot react in any way. It wasn’t clear if he was numb to the whole thing or simply didn’t care.

“All this for that ring, huh?” Fritz asked, wandering aimlessly through the room. “Who gets it now, huh? Are we just gonna flush the entire von Brandauer fortune down the drain?”

Fritz stopped by the wall, took a deep breath, and punched it with considerable force. A second after the impact, he lets out a shout of pain and rage, drawing everyone’s attention.

“Fuck, I’m sick of this!” He shouted. “When is this storm gonna end? I never want to set foot on this damn island again!”
Vesti and Lauren's Interdimensional Investigations
This CYOA follows Vesti Gates and Lauren Tehra, two detectives who search for the truth, whether in their own dimension or otherwise.

Planetbox wrote:
“All this for that ring, huh?” Fritz asked, wandering aimlessly through the room. “Who gets it now, huh? Are we just gonna flush the entire von Brandauer fortune down the drain?”

"Are you really interested in the answer to that, Fritz? If you wish, I will go to the court and make sure you get your fair share of the assets. I will have to reread the will though," Meta's eyes dim as she takes another sip of her drink.

"Juna had her right to be head, which is why it's such a pity that it would come to violence."

Happy Maria

Edna had taken a seat nearby and had her hands in her head, probably sobbing to herself. Losing Juna was one thing, losing the headship was another. She was probably at her emotional limit yet again.

Sock

Doctor Nanjo wrote:
"Juna had her right to be head, which is why it's such a pity that it would come to violence."

"I don't know why she did... any of this." Agnes frowned and took a seat somewhere nearby or like against the wall on the floor.

"I don't know why any of this had to happen..." She seemed to have little to say about the headship, or just opted to keep it out of her mind for now.

Shy guy

Verrier sat next to Ingrid in numb silence after hearing the news. Following Albrecht had been the only meaning in the entirety of his adult life. It was difficult to comprehend a future without him.

Spoiler: Noon Part 1
Fritz had wanted space for a private conversation, so he went into the ballroom with Cici, Heinrich, and Meta. And there was one more person there… Gideon himself, standing at the edge of a room as specter.

“Honey, are you going to tell me what this is all about?” Cici asked. She had basically been forced to come here. “Why is he here?” She pointed emphatically at Gideon. “I thought this was all over?”

“I’ve been keeping a secret from you… from Erik.” Fritz sweated. “I… We uh… ” Despite building up the courage to speak for the past hours, he still found himself at a loss for words.

Heinrich looked down, not wanting to speak up.

“Come on.” Gideon smiled. “After that scheme you three hatched together, you can say it with some conviction in your chest. Cici… these three conspired together to kill me.”

[Scene Music]

Cici almost felt like fainting, but managed to find a chair to sit down on. Her face paled, and she gripped the armrest to try and find some semblance of support.

“It was a brilliant plan.” Gideon laughed. “Probably the only thing Fritz ever came up with that compared to me.”

“You shut up!” Fritz snapped, bending over at his wife’s side.

“Why… why tell me now?”

“We’re not sure what’s going on anymore--Raphael was in on it with us, but he sent someone here in his stead.” Heinrich seemed utterly baffled, but voicing his true thoughts of the day was emotionally cathartic. “It doesn’t make sense. Gideon is dead. We all know that more than anyone. But Agnes said he gave her the card, and she saw him two years ago...”

“We were trying to do what was best.” Meta said quietly. “We all had our reasons. Greed, but not necessarily money. Unfortunately we’ve accumulated quite the laundry list of crimes along the way.”

Truthfully, Meta had been against involving Cici in this. But Fritz had insisted she could stay quiet, and she wasn’t in a position to argue against it.

“We never did find out why his corpse was moved two years ago either.” Heinrich kicked a table in frustration. “It’s like this whole time somebody knew our plan, and has just been fucking with us.”

“And Juna never admitted to Julia and Harley’s deaths either.” Fritz added, “Those were much different than her crimes too--I don’t see how they’re related at all.’

Meta pushed her glasses, quietly sipping her coffee. “I think I have my own theory on that.”

There was something ominous about Meta’s tone. And yet, that simple phrase commanded the attention of everybody in the room, who had spent the last two years desperate for answers.

Spoiler: Noon Part 2

[Scene Music]

“Edna is insane.” Meta concluded. “I think she’s always been standing on the edge of sanity, but our ‘plot’ finally pushed her over the edge.”

“... this is goddamn crazy.” Heinrich shook his head, stepping away from his usual reserved nature. “We’ve taken this too far--we need to confess.”

No” Fritz insisted. “We have too much to lose at this point.”

Cici couldn’t help but agree. After hearing everything, she just wanted to run away. But in the end there was no choice but to face the consequences of their actions. Gideon simply laughed at this, enjoying that their sins were setting them to the fire after years of playing with his death.

“I believe it could be hereditary.” Meta added, “It explains Agnes’ ‘Gideon’ sightings. She’s slipping too.”

It had been necessary for their ‘plot’ to make Edna and Agnes believe that Gideon was still alive, usually through a recording of his voice. Perhaps after all this time Agnes and Edna thought that they may have been haunted.

“Edna killed Julia and Harley because she believes Gideon is alive--that is my theory.” Meta summarized. “It’s our fault she thinks that, but I don’t think there’s any going back anymore. All she wants is her husband back. For her family to be whole again.”

They were stuck at a crossroads. They were trapped on an island with an insane woman--a murderer of their own creation. And yet if they confronted her with the truth they would end up dead themselves.

There was nothing to be said the more they talked. There was no solution, just building realization and guilt. Eventually they rejoined the group in the mansion, pretending nothing had happened.

[There really isn’t much that’ll happen here before the next GM posts, you can make some innocuous ‘daily life’ posts or just like do nothing I guess]

Happy Maria

Seeing Meta, Cici, Fritz, Erik and Heinrich all come in, Edna gave them a worried glance. "A-are you all okay?" They were all pretending as though nothing had happened, but Edna seemed to sense that something was off about them. "L-listen, I know these past 24 hours have been tiring for all of us... S-so there's no need to hide anything from us now... If you don't feel well, just tell me. M-maybe I c-could get you all something..." She spoke to them, sincerely as she always did.

ASCEND

Fritz cast Edna a wary glance as he stepped into the room.

"We were just...discussing the will," he lied. "It got a little dicey, but we're alright. We don't need anything. I don't think you should trouble yourself more than you have to."
This CYOA follows Vesti Gates and Lauren Tehra, two detectives who search for the truth, whether in their own dimension or otherwise.

Sock

Planetbox wrote:
Fritz cast Edna a wary glance as he stepped into the room.

"We were just...discussing the will," he lied. "It got a little dicey, but we're alright. We don't need anything. I don't think you should trouble yourself more than you have to."

"Was there any sort of conclusion reached, Uncle?" Agnes looked up a little and asked Fritz. "With... all that has happened, I would assume it might be difficult to figure everything out, but then again I don't know very much..."

Meta takes an unlit cigarette out of her mouth and pushes the whole thing into an ashtray. Apparently old habits die hard.

She nods her head to Agnes. "We have a conclusion, but unfortunately it's unlikely to satisfy anyone. And, if people are unsatisfied, it can hardly be called a conclusion, can it? But it's fine for now. These situations happen and are dealt with over time."

Meta picks up her cold coffee from the table and drinks it, "Edna, thank you sincerely, but I just want you to stay at peace now and not bother with frivolous additional activities. It has been too hard on all of us, hasn't it?"

Alive: Heinrich, Edna, Agnes, Ingrid, Fritz, Cici, Jolina, Meta, Verrier, Christof, Angelo (11)
Dead: Harley, Julia, Mia, Erik, The Imposter, Albrecht, Juna (7)
Unknown: Lynde (1)

[Mystery-Solving Music]

Spoiler: Part 1 ~ Edna
1:00 PM

Edna had had enough. Jolina had shown her recklessness with the rifle too often, so she ended up wrestling it from her after some convincing. Edna then asked about the keys in the mansion.

Jolina said, “We destroyed Julia’s master key and Juna’s is lost forever. Therefore my master key is the only one left.

Edna then confiscated Jolina’s master key, and went into the servants’ quarters and took all the keys to the rooms. She also took keys from every person left. Soon she had all the keys, including those of the missing and deceased.

Meta’s eyes widened in realization. “If Edna has all the keys, she is the only one who will be able to create locked rooms from the outside.

Angelo agreed, “Only a key can lock a door from the outside.

“I want it this way.” Edna insisted. “Don’t worry, this is just in case... now nobody will be able to create locked rooms.”

Fritz, Cici, Meta, and Heinrich all shared an uneasy glance.

Edna went up to her master bedroom and put all the keys in her music box. Then she took the single key to the music box and locked it. She gripped the key tight and hid it away in her pocket. That music box key was now the master key for this entire mystery.

Spoiler: Part 2 ~ Heinrich
2:00 PM

Christof barged into the parlor area where Angelo, Agnes, and Verrier were waiting. “What happened--I’ve been unconscious for the past half hour! Someone knocked me out!

I don’t think anyone has a verifiable alibi…” Agnes said.

“Oh my.” Verrier said. “I’m sure it couldn’t have been Ingrid at the very least. She’s in a deep comatose state, and certainly couldn’t be doing anything other than sleep.

“I’m not sure why anyone would knock you out.” Angelo murmured. “You still have your gun after all.

------

2:05 PM

The group found themselves in the scullery first. The group consisted of Agnes, Angelo, Christof, Jolina, Meta, and Verrier. Heinrich was in the middle of the ground, shot a single time in the back of the head.

“Oh my god!” Christof cried. “Heinrich is dead!

I can verify he’s dead as well.” Verrier agreed. “And I won’t make mistakes anymore with someone’s life or death status, drug or not.

Agnes recalled the state of the crime scene when they entered. “The door was unlocked?

Some of the rooms are reasonably soundproof--I’m not surprised we couldn’t hear something as loud as a gunshot or perhaps louder.” Meta said.

Spoiler: Part 3 ~ Cici
2:10 PM

Next they found themselves in the mansion’s servant’s quarters. The servant’s quarters had three entrances--one going to the outside of the house. The one going to the ballroom was completely blocked by a fridge that was flush the door and the other two were locked traditionally.

A single human could not move this fridge to the door.” Jolina said quietly. “Therefore Cici and the killer must’ve moved it closer to the door for some reason.”

Angelo said, “It opens into the servant’s quarters--so the door can’t be opened with the fridge in the way.

Verrier chimed in with Cici’s autopsy. “Cici was shot multiple times. She is dead.

The two other doors were locked before we broke in too…” Agnes thought to herself.

Meta looked around for a bit, examining the room carefully. “I believe it goes without saying, but nobody was ever hiding here either.

Spoiler: Part 4 ~ Fritz
2:15 PM

They ended up in the master bedroom next.The door was locked so they had to break in. Edna was inside, asleep on the floor. Fritz was shot in the throat. The window was locked as well.

He’s alive but mortally wounded--he’s been shot!” Verrier cried.

I borrowed some of Ingrid’s tape after Edna stole the keys. It was broken before we came in here, but the tape on the window is intact.” Jolina said.

“Of course the tape is broken!” Edna insisted. “Fritz came to visit me!”

Angelo finished a cursory investigation. “Nobody is hiding in this room.

I-I’ve been asleep the whole time… perhaps I was drugged?” Edna pleaded. “I think Fritz and I only talked for a short while…”

The door is locked and there is still sealed tape on the window. There are no other gaps. This is a perfect closed room.” Meta summarized.

“We shouldn’t accuse Mother so quickly!” Agnes cried. “W-What about Lynde?” She hadn’t wanted to throw her brother under the bus, but he was a clear missing link in all of this that needed to be addressed.

Lynde hasn’t killed anyone.” Jolina shook her head. “I doubt the boy would have the temerity to do this.”

All the keys are in the music box and accounted for… nobody’s opened this since we’ve broken in as well.” Christof grumbled.

"I hid the music box key in my shoe. I'm certain it never left my side.... even if I was unconscious." Edna wearily admitted.

Spoiler: Part 5 ~ Meta
2:30 PM

“Damn it, Edna and Meta are missing!” Christof shouted. “We need to find them!”

It was hard to believe Edna could’ve gotten away after being under so much scrutiny and suspicion. But eventually she was found in the garden, over Meta’s body. She was holding the rifle she took from Jolina.

I didn’t kill her!” Edna insisted.

Everybody else here has an alibi that can be verified by each other.” Jolina said, motioning to the group.

She’s right.” Verrier nodded. Then upon doing a cursory examination of the lawyer’s body, he declared “Meta is dead--she’s been shot several times.

Spoiler: Part 6 ~ Jolina
3:00 PM

After a very eventful 24 hours, Jolina had had enough. And somewhere inside, she found the resolve to hold on--solving the mystery. From the most minor mystery fan to major, anybody could find themselves on a hot streak. So they could form theories even without hard evidence, and become reasonably sure of themselves just from trope familiarity.

This is why she had decided to lead discussion in the foyer. Ingrid was unconscious and Fritz also was being tended to by Verrier, but Verrier didn’t seem optimistic about saving him. Regardless, she had everyone except Agnes on her side--Edna was the killer.

“You can keep saying you didn’t do it, Edna. But I will not buy into that.”

[Scene Music]

And then like a conductor, Jolina led the epitaph for Edna. “The incidents with Juna and what resulted from her actions are the only breaks in the mastermind’s pattern. The mastermind certainly wrote Agnes’ card, killed Julia and Harley, and is primarily responsible for these last set of incidents.

Yes, that makes the most sense. Let’s keep going.

We’ve found handwriting samples as old as 19 years that match exactly. Gideon simply had someone write his letters and drafts for decades for him. If someone wrote his letters for him, you’re the only one left who could’ve had the opportunity. Theory #1.”

“Since Verrier didn’t actually confirm Julia’s life or death status until much later, it’s safe to say anybody living at the time could’ve had the opportunity to kill her after we opened the door. The same goes for Harley, it seems anybody living at the time could be responsible. That of course means the culprit could be you, Edna. Theory #2.”

She paced around the room like a true detective. Perhaps the game of Scotland Yard had gotten to her head. “But let’s not forget the dining room incident. Because I’m sure the mastermind thought this prank up as well. Edna was the only one in the mansion at midnight that wasn’t in the dining room. She exposed herself quite early in a way. Theory #3.”

Edna is the only one who had all the keys. Therefore she is the only one who could’ve created this last set of closed rooms. She was also the only one in the master bedroom with Fritz. Furthermore, she is the only one of us here with a working rifle. And since the tape on her door was broken, we can’t prove that she has an alibi for all of these incidents. Theory #4.”

“Meta’s murder speaks for itself. The two of them were alone, and nobody else was around--she absolutely killed her. Theory #5.”

“Edna is simply insane. She’s heard the dead’s voices for years. She thinks she can see ghosts. Clearly the actions of a person who can’t be trusted. She thinks Gideon is alive, and is trying to call him back. These murders are just monuments of her love for him.”

Everybody looked around uneasily…

“I have to reluctantly agree, I’m sorry Edna.” Verrier shook his head. “None of the victims committed suicide. I’m certain they were each killed by another person. That leaves us with limited options.”

"Then I'm glad we can put an end to all this." Jolina proudly smiled. "All that's left is your confession, Edna. If you'd please."

Last edited by JesusMonroe on Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:13 am, edited 3 times in total.

Spoiler: Purple by Part
Part 1:
Jolina - “We destroyed Julia’s master key and Juna’s is lost forever. Therefore my master key is the only one left.”
Meta - “If Edna has all the keys, she is the only one who will be able to create locked rooms from the outside.”
Angelo - “ Only a key can lock a door from the outside.”

Part 2:
Christof - “I’ve been unconscious for the past half hour! Someone knocked me out.”
Agnes - “I don’t think anyone has a verifiable alibi…”
Verrier - “I’m sure it couldn’t have been Ingrid at the very least. She’s in a deep comatose state, and certainly couldn’t be doing anything other than sleep.”
Angelo - “You [Christof] still have your gun after all.”
Christof - “Heinrich is dead!”
Verrier - “I can verify he’s dead as well. And I won’t make mistakes anymore with someone’s life or death status, drug or not.”
Agnes - “The door [to the scullery] was unlocked?”
Meta - “Some of the rooms are reasonably soundproof--I’m not surprised we couldn’t hear something as loud as a gunshot or perhaps louder.”

Part 3:
Jolina - “A single human could not move this fridge to the door [leading to the ballroom].”
Angelo - “It opens into the servant’s quarters--so the door can’t be opened with the fridge in the way.”
Verrier - “Cici was shot multiple times. She is dead.”
Agnes - “The two other doors [in the servant’s quarters] were locked before we broke in too…”
Meta - “I believe it goes without saying, but nobody was ever hiding here either.”

Part 4:
Verrier - “[Fritz] is alive but mortally wounded--he’s been shot!”
Jolina - “I borrowed some of Ingrid’s tape after Edna stole the keys. It was broken before we came in here [the master bedroom], but the tape on the window is intact.”
Angelo - “Nobody is hiding in this room.”
Edna - “I-I’ve been asleep the whole time. Perhaps I was drugged…?”
Meta - The door is locked and there is still sealed tape on the window. There are no other gaps. This is a perfect closed room.
Jolina - “Lynde hasn’t killed anyone.”
Christof - “All the keys are in the music box and accounted for…”
Edna - “I hid the music box key in my shoe. I'm certain it never left my side.”

Part 5:
Edna - “I didn’t kill [Meta]!”
Jolina - “Everybody else here has an alibi that can be verified by each other.”
Verrier - “[Jolina] is right. Meta is dead--she’s been shot several times.”

Part 6:
Jolina - “The mastermind certainly wrote Agnes’ card, killed Julia and Harley, and is primarily responsible for these last set of incidents.”
Jolina - “We’ve found handwriting samples as old as 19 years that match exactly. If someone wrote his letters for him, [Edna] is the only one left who could’ve had the opportunity.”
Jolina - anybody living at the time could’ve had the opportunity to kill [Julia] after we opened the door. The same goes for Harley, it seems anybody living at the time could be responsible.”
Jolina - “Because I’m sure the mastermind thought this prank (dining room ding-dong ditch) up as well.”
Jolina - “Edna is the only one who had all the keys.”
Jolina - “She was also the only one in the master bedroom with Fritz. Furthermore, she is the only one of us here with a working rifle.”
Jolina - [Edna] has heard the dead’s voices for years. She thinks she can see ghosts.
Verrier - “None of the victims committed suicide. I’m certain they were each killed by another person.”

Spoiler: Purple by Character
Agnes:
- “I don’t think anyone has a verifiable alibi…"
- “The door [to the scullery] was unlocked…?”
- “The two other doors [in the servant’s quarters] were locked before we broke in too…”

Angelo:
-“ Only a key can lock a door from the outside.”
-“You [Christof] still have your gun after all.”
-“It opens into the servant’s quarters--so the door can’t be opened with the fridge in the way.”
- “Nobody is hiding in this room [the master bedroom].”

Christof:
- “I’ve been unconscious for the past half hour! Someone knocked me out.”
- “Heinrich is dead!”
- “All the keys are in the music box and accounted for… nobody’s opened this since we’ve broken in as well.”

Edna:
- “I-I’ve been asleep the whole time. Perhaps I was drugged…?”
- “I didn’t kill [Meta]!”
- “I hid the music box key in my shoe. I'm certain it never left my side.”

Meta:
-“If Edna has all the keys, she is the only one who will be able to create locked rooms from the outside.”
- “Some of the rooms are reasonably soundproof--I’m not surprised we couldn’t hear something as loud as a gunshot or perhaps louder.”
- ““I believe it goes without saying, but nobody was ever hiding here either.”
- “The door is locked and there is still sealed tape on the window. There are no other gaps. This is a perfect closed room.”

Verrier:
-“I’m sure it couldn’t have been Ingrid at the very least. She’s in a deep comatose state, and certainly couldn’t be doing anything other than sleep.”
-“I can verify [Heinrich] is dead as well. And I won’t make mistakes anymore with someone’s life or death status, drug or not.”
- “Cici was shot multiple times. She is dead.”
- “[Fritz] is alive but mortally wounded--he’s been shot!”
- “[Jolina] is right [about our alibis]. Meta is dead--she’s been shot several times.”
- “None of the victims committed suicide. I’m certain they were each killed by another person.”

Jolina:
- “We destroyed Julia’s master key and Juna’s is lost forever. Therefore my master key is the only one left.”
- “A single human could not move this fridge to the door [leading to the ballroom].”
- “I borrowed some of Ingrid’s tape after Edna stole the keys. It was broken before we came in here [the master bedroom], but the tape on the window is intact.”
- “Lynde hasn’t killed anyone.”
- “Everybody else here has an alibi that can be verified by each other.”
- “The mastermind certainly wrote Agnes’ card, killed Julia and Harley, and is primarily responsible for these last set of incidents.”
- “We’ve found handwriting samples as old as 19 years that match exactly. If someone wrote his letters for him, [Edna] is the only one left who could’ve had the opportunity.”
- “anybody living at the time could’ve had the opportunity to kill [Julia] after we opened the door. The same goes for Harley, it seems anybody living at the time could be responsible.”
- “Because I’m sure the mastermind thought this prank (dining room ding-dong ditch) up as well.”
- “Edna is the only one who had all the keys.”
- “She was also the only one in the master bedroom with Fritz. Furthermore, she is the only one of us here with a working rifle.”
- “[Edna] has heard the dead’s voices for years. She thinks she can see ghosts.”

Last edited by JesusMonroe on Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:14 am, edited 3 times in total.

[Living thread posting is tentatively allowed--just stay in the foyer for now]

ASCEND

Fritz gurgles vaguely, continuing to die.

Happy Maria

Edna had finally reached her limit. She had been sweating bullets and visibly shaking up to this point. Suddenly she stopped as the accusations were all levied against her.

Quote:
"Then I'm glad we can put an end to all this." Jolina proudly smiled. "All that's left is your confession, Edna. If you'd please."

"Confession? Ha..."

Edna let out a strange sound. It was the sound of...

Laughter?

"I don't know what you're talking about... hee hee hee..." She put a hand to her head, her laughter growing stronger. "Hahaha... you're wrong. You're all wrong! I didn't kill anybody!" She declared. "Not one single person... If Gideon were here, he'd understand... Not you all, though. You just want me gone, don't you..? Hahaha... Ahahahaha!"

She had nothing more to say. She continued laughing to herself maniacally, her mental state clearly broken. Was this the trauma of being forced to endure so much and then be accused of masterminding everything or the realisation that she had finally been caught? Or perhaps her decline into madness had been a steady one. Had the first domino fallen years ago when her husband had left her? Or perhaps when Valerie died walking into that ocean? Nobody quite knew. But the Edna before them... was nothing like the person they had known. Or at least, the person they thought they had known.

Sock

"Mother..." Agnes hanged her head and stood off to the side, frowning and adding no further comments.

Shy guy

Verrier continued tending to Fritz, unsure of what to say, especially as an outsider. Then again, so many family members were dead, near-death or missing that there almost wasn't a family left to be outside of. Jolina was running the show now: anything could happen.

Jolina takes a few steps back from Edna and takes a look at the nearest exits, just in case she wants to bolt away.
"Who else is it then? The victims? Did they shoot themselves merely to frame you? Fritz couldn't have killed anyone and Verrier couldn't offer me anything to make me lie for him if he's killed us off one by one. Lynde is either dead or wisely staying away from all this. Is it Anges? I don't think so. So who is it if not you?" She continues to proudly declare to the unstable woman.

Happy Maria

"Who really knows... hahaha. Perhaps everyone did this..." Edna stared at the others. "You all want me gone from here, don't you? You'd do anything to get me out of this godforsaken family... so you all conspired to do this and frame me for it... hehehehehe... isn't that right?"

[Scene Music]

Verrier was in a panic. Ingrid was still slipping despite his best efforts, but he was having trouble dividing his attention with Fritz as well.

Fritz’s hand suddenly shot out. Verrier jumped back, but the man hadn’t lashed at him. He was reaching for his sister, but she was just out of reach. Verrier knew Fritz needed to rest, and not stress himself in even the most minor fashion.

And yet, he would not refuse his patient’s request. So he carefully moved Fritz closer, and moved Ingrid’s hand to her brother’s. Their hands interlocked, and Fritz grasped it tightly. And then miraculously, beyond any medical explanation Verrier could give… Ingrid woke up. Her eyes blinked open, and it was clear color was already returning to her face. It was a truly impossible miracle.

The only thing she could see as she laid on the couch was her brother’s smiling, bloody face. And looking in his eyes, she could see the truth for herself. More clearly than any red words could display.

Happy Maria

Edna stopped laughing, staring at the miracle that had just taken place. "Ingrid..." She breathed, a genuine look of relief on her face as she saw her sister-in-law awaken. She came to her side, the murders she'd just been accused of totally vanishing from her mind. "Are... are you alright?" She asked her. "You were gone for... quite a while..."

Shy guy

"Ah, Ingrid! How are you feeling?" Verrier asked urgently, not quite willing to believe his own eyes. He had to check, get some confirmation that the apparent miracle really was real. He also examined Fritz, but it was clear there was nothing he could do for him.
Page 20 of 21 [ 818 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

Board index » Roleplay » Berry Big Circus