Board index » Roleplay » Berry Big Circus

Page 3 of 21[ 818 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 21  Next

Re: Ghost Fables ~ Living Thread PrologueTopic%20Title

Rookie Killer

Bad Player wrote:
“Grandfather, is your brother making you feel uncomfortable? Don’t worry, I have it on good authority that time will heal that wound,” Raphael said patronizingly.

He abruptly stood up. “Bring my dinner to my room,” he declared, to no one in particular, as if this was not already standard practice for his visits to Geistfabel. He walked towards the door, but stopped on the way next to Juna. “Not you,” he said, without turning towards her. He then proceeded out the room.

"Don't mind me, I was just um..." that comment had caught Heinrich off guard and before he had a chance to properly respond, Raphael was already out the door. "Goodnight," he pathetically added, even though he knew his grandson was probably too far away to hear him.

ASCEND

Despite being the one to bring up the topic, Fritz paid little attention to Ingrid’s musings over Gideon’s book, instead sitting with his family and staring stormily into the fire.

When Erik responded to Edna, he nodded at him.

“Well put, son,” he said, “Yes, I’m sure no one will object to spending more time here. I know we’re all quite busy, but just think about it as a chance for more family time. That’s always nice, right?”

It was clear that he didn’t really believe what he was saying, especially now that the family was devolving into arguments.
Vesti and Lauren's Interdimensional Investigations
This CYOA follows Vesti Gates and Lauren Tehra, two detectives who search for the truth, whether in their own dimension or otherwise.

"Grandfather Albrecht," Lynde piped up, looking a little nervous as he seemingly threw himself on the grenade.

"I have recently finished project that you may find interesting. May I show you?" He said moving towards Albrecht. Definitely not having picked up on the specifics of the conversation, but hoping to calm things down for everyone's sake.

fella

Erik shuffled a bit closer to his parents during the argument between Raphael and Albrecht, wincing quite a bit at the mention of the Allies messing up his plans. That made the room very uncomfortable for him, to say the least.

"Can't help but wonder if this family will actually be able to get along for at least five minutes, especially at a funeral for a family member..." he mumbled.

Sock

"There will always be some strife in our lives, cousin." Agnes replies to Erik in a monotone voice, not even turning to face him. "As things get better, they immediately get worse. Of course, the adults know this. It is an endless cycle for each of us who are lucky enough to life on this planet."

"...ah, erm, that's not any excuse to argue, though." Agnes backpedals a little, and scratches under her nose. "Yet I struggle to blame them, I too feel the need to scream my heart out. Yet I cannot find any motivation to do so anymore." Agnes stares into the hot flames, the light gently reflecting off of her pale skin.

Shy guy

Thankfully for everyone in the room, Lynde's proposal did actually manage to distract Albrecht from his rant. "Oh yes? Still working on those dolls?" It had recently become a standard question for him to ask Lynde. It was possible he didn't remember asking the first few times.

"... None of you care, huh." Ingrid slammed the book shut. "Gideon set up that entire... Thing, and now you're all ready to move on? You think it's just him being 'weird' like always, don't you?"

Shy guy

"Why can't it be both?" Verrier responded to Ingrid. "It was definitely a case of Gideon being weird, but that doesn't mean it can't also be important. Unfortunately I'm not in much of a mood to read right now, so if that's where the answer lays, it will have to wait."

He tapped his fan against his cheek, before pivoting to point it at Ingrid. "Unless you have any theories to propose? A funeral isn't typically suited to reasoning battles, but if ever there was a funeral for them, it would be Gideon's, no?"

Sock

DootDootDoot wrote:
"... None of you care, huh." Ingrid slammed the book shut. "Gideon set up that entire... Thing, and now you're all ready to move on? You think it's just him being 'weird' like always, don't you?"

Agnes' head jerked towards Ingrid, almost violently, yet she said nothing, only giving her a glare to express her sadness and anger. Clearly this reaction was at Ingrid's words, but it wasn't entirely clear which set Agnes off.

Slowly, she turned back to the fire, hanging her head. It was better not to speak. Agnes knew it wouldn't be right to talk angrily to an adult like that.

A silent "...you're wrong..." was all that managed to come out of her mouth.

KamiPanda wrote:
Thankfully for everyone in the room, Lynde's proposal did actually manage to distract Albrecht from his rant. "Oh yes? Still working on those dolls?" It had recently become a standard question for him to ask Lynde. It was possible he didn't remember asking the first few times.

"Yes of course, always!" Lynde said with a big grin before scurrying away.

He was gone for exactly enough time to wonder where exactly he was going before he returned, obviously he had stowed this project much closer than his room.

Lynde returned carefully holding a doll house. This was of course something everyone else in the house had seen before, but the diorama itself was itself notable. As Lynde set it down, it bbecame clear that he had brought in an exact replica of the manor itself.

"It is, to my knowledge, an exact scale replica of the Manorhouse. I have triple checked every measurement. I even have dolls of everyone here! And that's not all, i also have one for the guest house as well. " Lynde proudly informed everyone in the room as he opened up the miniature version of the manor and set up everyone present in this very room, even going so far as to place Raphael in his room.

KamiPanda wrote:
"Why can't it be both?" Verrier responded to Ingrid. "It was definitely a case of Gideon being weird, but that doesn't mean it can't also be important. Unfortunately I'm not in much of a mood to read right now, so if that's where the answer lays, it will have to wait."

He tapped his fan against his cheek, before pivoting to point it at Ingrid. "Unless you have any theories to propose? A funeral isn't typically suited to reasoning battles, but if ever there was a funeral for them, it would be Gideon's, no?"

"... I don't know where the answer is, and I can't say I have any reasoning or theories." Ingrid sighed. "Actually, I guess I don't even know what question he's asking. But, I know he's trying to say something with this!"

Kachu wrote:
Agnes' head jerked towards Ingrid, almost violently, yet she said nothing, only giving her a glare to express her sadness and anger. Clearly this reaction was at Ingrid's words, but it wasn't entirely clear which set Agnes off.

Slowly, she turned back to the fire, hanging her head. It was better not to speak. Agnes knew it wouldn't be right to talk angrily to an adult like that.

A silent "...you're wrong..." was all that managed to come out of her mouth.

Ingrid seemed like she had more to say, but her niece made her rethink her words and turn her attention away from Verrier. "... Agnes, I'm, I'm sorry about that." she put the book aside, stumbling over her words. "I didn't mean that you don't care about your father, just... Forget it, I was overthinking it, I'm sorry."

Collin1002 wrote:
Erik shuffled a bit closer to his parents during the argument between Raphael and Albrecht, wincing quite a bit at the mention of the Allies messing up his plans. That made the room very uncomfortable for him, to say the least.

"Can't help but wonder if this family will actually be able to get along for at least five minutes, especially at a funeral for a family member..." he mumbled.

Cecilia gently placed a hand on Erik's shoulder. "Now now, dear. I'm sure everyone will calm down eventually. Just try to give it sometime, okay?

HonestIago wrote:

"Yes of course, always!" Lynde said with a big grin before scurrying away.

He was gone for exactly enough time to wonder where exactly he was going before he returned, obviously he had stowed this project much closer than his room.

Lynde returned carefully holding a doll house. This was of course something everyone else in the house had seen before, but the diorama itself was itself notable. As Lynde set it down, it bbecame clear that he had brought in an exact replica of the manor itself.

"It is, to my knowledge, an exact scale replica of the Manorhouse. I have triple checked every measurement. I even have dolls of everyone here! And that's not all, i also have one for the guest house as well. " Lynde proudly informed everyone in the room as he opened up the miniature version of the manor and set up everyone present in this very room, even going so far as to place Raphael in his room.

"Oh, how cute!" She smiled, thankful for the distraction after Albrecht's comment. "What a lovely replica!"

Happy Maria

"Ah, yes..." Edna nodded, seeing the diorama. "Fantastic work as always, Lynde." She seemed quite uncomfortable by Albrecht's comments but seemed to be relieved when Lynde interrupted.

She didn't say anything in response to Ingrid but she did not miss Agnes' reaction. While she appeared worried, she didn't say anything to the child, perhaps deciding this would be better spoken about in private.

Sleeping is my life.

Upon seeing Lynde bring out the mansion dollhouse. Harley got up from his seat and went over to check out the dollhouse.

"Well, that's a interesting replica, Lynde." Harley commented as he looks over Lynde's dollhouse.

ASCEND

DootDootDoot wrote:

“There’s not really any point worrying about it now,” Fritz replied, glancing at Ingrid. “If Gideon had some trick planned, it will probably be revealed in due time. But he might have just wanted to be left alone.”

When Lynde brought in the dollhouse, he suddenly stood up and walked over, his interest seemingly piqued.

“Oh, now this is fine craftsmanship. I could use something like this on set...Impressive work.”

He reached into the parlor, pulled out his own doll, and held it up to his face.

“Hmph. My ears aren’t nearly this big, but I suppose some imperfections are understandable...Still a bit unfortunate.”
This CYOA follows Vesti Gates and Lauren Tehra, two detectives who search for the truth, whether in their own dimension or otherwise.

"Every part of a mystery could be the most important part until you arrive at the end," Meta says, her words seemingly aimed at Ingrid. "That means that Gideon will get you to obsess over any little part of this if you let him. I would advise that you enjoy your time in the prologue while you still can." She raises up the thick envelope of papers in her hand and taps it, "You'll need your mental faculties for the formal will-reading."

She peers at the little Manor and observes her doll. "What did you use for the likeness, your memory? It's charming."

Sleeping is my life.

Harley's head shot up from looking at the dollhouse once Meta mentioned the will-reading.

"Well... I wonder who Gideon will name in his will..." Harley mumbled to himself before looking back at the dollhouse.

"I don't remember my nose being this big..." He said, clearly talking about the doll that looks just like him.

Shy guy

DootDootDoot wrote:
"... I don't know where the answer is, and I can't say I have any reasoning or theories." Ingrid sighed. "Actually, I guess I don't even know what question he's asking. But, I know he's trying to say something with this!"

Verrier held the pose for a few more seconds, before nodding and dropping his arm. "Yes, it is rather too early I suppose. I wonder if perhaps the will reading is another piece of the puzzle?" Despite ostensibly having little stake in the will, there was a hint of glee in his otherwise controlled features as he considered this.

HonestIago wrote:

"My, this is a fine piece of work!" Albrecht said admiringly, examining it as best he could from his position. "An accurate replica, I take it? No silly hidden mysteries this time around?"

[Rainymood]

Meta opened the envelope. Will-readings were very uncommon, and really only the kind of thing you’d see in fiction. So it was of course no surprise that Gideon instructed for it to be done this way.

Spoiler: Gideon’s Will
[Scene Music]

My Dear Beloved Family and Friends,

Please forgive my penchant for drama and I hope that you will allow this to be read without any infighting. By the end of this letter, I will reveal the inheritor of the headship, the headship ring, and the family wealth.

First and foremost, I forfeit all rights to my intellectual property. The copyrights of all my stories are to be released to the public domain immediately, where my fiction can hopefully inspire a new generation of authors and creatives.

Second, the island of Geistfabel and all its estates shall be given to my wife Edna Schneider von Brandauer. I have already purchased the property formally from the family with my own personal assets, and I hope that the island still remains open to the others as a centerpiece of our family history.

My remaining wealth and noted assets shall go to the family pot, to be controlled and divided by the head as they see accordingly.

Gideon’s will continued to detail other minutia related to his businesses. That didn’t matter to most of anyone. He did take care to leave letters to certain family members, and certain sentimental items.

“He also writes to pause for some time here before announcing the head.” Meta said with a slight grin. She seemed to be enjoying this.

Last edited by JesusMonroe on Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ASCEND

When Meta finished reading about Gideon's intellectual property, Fritz's expression darkened. He stepped away from the group and faced the fire, perhaps so the others couldn't see his face.

Once Meta hit the pause, Fritz began to speak in a noticeably strained voice.

"If you wouldn't mind getting on with it, Meta..." Fritz muttered, "Gideon was rarely respectful of his guests' time, but I imagine you could do a better job of that."

Sleeping is my life.

After part of Gideon's will was read out by Meta, Harley turns to look at her. He didn't quite expected Gideon's will to be written like that. Typical Gideon, indeed...

"Well... Get on with it, madam! Who's the new head of the von Brandauer family?" He asked, wondering about who the new head could possibly be. He look at the other members of the von Brandauer family, pondering over which of them is most likely candidate to be the new head...

Shy guy

"It's not like we're in a hurry. We're stuck on this island until tomorrow either way," Verrier pointed out in amusement.

"I don't have time for Gideon's games. Didn't before, don't now," Albrecht growled. "He stole the headship from me, and he knows it. Perhaps now that he no longer has need of it, he saw sense and passed it back to the rightful heir: me."

"That would be for the best," Verrier agreed.

"Then again, this will's already ridiculous as-is. To think, he'd buy Geistfabel right out from under me! He certainly inherited my brains, that boy. Verrier, look into it when we get back. I won't go quietly." Verrier gave a small bow of acknowledgement.

"It's his last will and testament. I think you can all wait just a few minutes out of respect." Ingrid sighed. "Take your time, Meta."

Shy guy

"Why bother? He's dead, he won't care," Albrecht retorted. He made a point to complain, but knew it wouldn't change anything. He knew Meta well enough to know that she'd dutifully follow the instructions regardless.

No other way than to make this mistake.

"An eccentric will to be sure, but I'm sure a dramatic pause is nothing that you can't handle," Juna said, referring to the family at large.

After going off to find the phone herself (thanks Juna!) and avoiding much of the drama, Mia had returned in time for the will reading. She, of course, didn't expect anything related to her personally in it, so she just stayed quiet by Ingrid's side.

Happy Maria

Edna quietly let out a sigh of relief as Meta read out that she would have the island and its estates. Still, she appeared quite tense. She didn't try to hurry Meta but she twiddled her thumbs anxiously, waiting for her to declare who the new family head would be.

[Rainymood]

Meta continues reading,

I will now announce the next head of the family, as is my right--I’m sure many of you have already guessed that I have not made this simple. Allow me to reassure you that it is in fact quite simple, with a fool-proof method that cannot be forged.

Those sitting leaned closer to the edge of their seats. Heinrich stared outside the window at the falling rain, possibly already having a plot forming regardless of the result.

Spoiler:
[Scene Music]

The next head of the family, the inheritor of our wealth, will be the one who finds my headship ring--this shall be honored whether they are our blood or not. To that end, I have left a single hint to the ring’s location: Solve my final closed room.

During the period the ring is not found, my next of kin will act as the interim head. I hope you use this modicum of power responsibly.

With love,
Gideon

Shy guy

"WHAT?" Albrecht yelled, pushing himself out of his wheelchair in sheer shock, before toppling forward onto the ground, unable to support himself.

Sleeping is my life.

"What the heck was that?!" Harley shouted, more of annoyance and anger. "Solve the final closed room?! What is that supposed to mean?!"

He shakes his head, trying to make sense of Gideon's will. "Of course, Gideon would do that. Make us solve the final closed room... Though, I have no idea what he meant by that..." He pinch the bridge of his nose.

"Wouldn't the 'final closed room' be the tomb?" Mia wondered. "Though I'm not sure what exactly there is to 'solve' about it..."

Happy Maria

"Oh... o-oh dear..." Edna turned pale. "I..." She stayed silent for a minute. "W-well, maybe we shouldn't worry about this too much!" She suggested, visibly sweating. "My husband was always a bit of an... odd man. I'm sure he made the headship ring quite hard to find. I always found most of his mysteries challenging... Who knows! M-maybe it could take years to find! Or maybe it's hidden in a place where nobody can get to now!"

She cleared her throat awkwardly. "Either way, we shouldn't get bothered about this now... We should just relax! Take it easy for now, we've all earned it. Oh, and... Meta, this makes Agnes the interim head, yes? We should prepare for that soon..." She stared at her daughter with a concerned look in her eyes.

In contrast to the rest of the family, Ingrid just calmly smiled. "Well, now we know what he was trying to say." she laughed. "I was hoping for something more profound than just this inheritance, but this does sound more like him."

Franzise Deauxnim wrote:
"Wouldn't the 'final closed room' be the tomb?" Mia wondered. "Though I'm not sure what exactly there is to 'solve' about it..."

"Nothing happened there to solve. Yet." Ingrid said, already getting up. "We should go check on it again. I wouldn't put it past Gideon that we'll find the thing open now."

A group of excited people including Ingrid go to check on the tomb. They come back looking wet, muddy, and frustrated. The door is still locked, and they’re still unsure what they’re meant to ‘solve’.

ASCEND

"Maybe Gideon's ring was hidden in the tomb somehow?" Fritz suggests, looking far more invested now that money was on the line. "I don't recall seeing it on his finger, so maybe it was stashed there somehow."

“Huh? But didn’t you all have the chance to check his tomb for a ring earlier? Maybe that wasn’t on your minds at the time, but surely you wouldn’t have overlooked the ring somewhere,” Meta giggles, her glasses almost slipping from her nose.

She realizes just in time and pushes them back up her face self-consciously. “Anyway, yes, Agnes is Gideon’s next of kin, so she will be the head in the meantime. I can talk to her about that later.”

Ingrid was wet, muddy, and very frustrated, but still not (entirely) discouraged. "... Alright, well, that's one red herring down at least."

Planetbox wrote:
"Maybe Gideon's ring was hidden in the tomb somehow?" Fritz suggests, looking far more invested now that money was on the line. "I don't recall seeing it on his finger, so maybe it was stashed there somehow."

"That place had no hiding spots though, unless you're about to propose the ring was mixed with the concrete. Or that you want to open up the corpse..."

Shy guy

Verrier hurriedly pulled Albrecht back into the wheelchair, quickly examining him to ensure nothing was damaged. "If it were that simple, the answer would just be 'knock down Gideon's tomb'," Verrier responded to Friedrich as he did so. "That would be neither smart, nor would it stroke his precious ego. The answer can only be something as absurd as he was in life. Who knows, perhaps he rigged it so that one of us would die in our rooms tonight!"

Last edited by KamiPanda on Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

No other way than to make this mistake.

Juna quickly left and came back with a few towels, which she offered to the angry and disappointed family members. If only her player had been mindful enough to notice the request for a phone earlier! Nonetheless, she was still pretty surprised about the will's contents.

"He was an... oddity, but I'm sure it's nothing as dramatic as someone dying," Juna addressed Verrier, "Maybe there is a secret code in the tomb!" She said, somewhat sarcastically.

Last edited by Datamatt on Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KamiPanda wrote:
Who knows, perhaps he rigged it so that one of us would die in our rooms tonight!"

Lynde perked up and asked "does this mean people will be randomly switching rooms? And barricading their doors and such?!" He began furiously arranging the diorama he hadn't left unattended since he had brought it out before the will reading, and going so far as to begin to erect barricades within the diorama.

"If you switch rooms please tell me so i can keep the diorama accurate- oh that defeats the purpose. Hrm. Maybe set yourself up before you leave tomorrow then? That sounds fun and safe right?" Lynde mused aloud as he worked and fussed on the diorama.
Page 3 of 21 [ 818 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 21  Next

Board index » Roleplay » Berry Big Circus