Board index » Roleplay » Berry Big Circus

Page 5 of 18[ 705 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 18  Next

Re: Ghost Fables ~ Dead Thread Chapter 3Topic%20Title

Shy guy

"Hmph! I won't rise to childish taunts. I'll explain my reasoning if it helps bring any new light to these nonsensical murders, though," Albrecht said distastefully. "I'll focus on Julia's murder as the example. It seems the most simple and straight-forward: a locked room with only one entrance, only one key, and no additional circumstances like tape or cut brake-lines.

"We know the key didn't pass into the room after the door was locked, yet it was found inside the room; therefore the key wasn't used to lock the door from the outside, so the door was locked from the inside (without need of the key). However we also know the killer wasn't inside the locked room when we found it, and there's no way I can think of to leave the room without breaking the locked room that I've just described. The killer had to be outside of the room when it was locked (from the inside). Hence, my sham of a theory. I had hoped to gain some further insight from your response, but alas."

Sleeping is my life.

"Hmmm... It'll be difficult to figure out how the killer left the study, while keeping the chain into place..." Harley mumbles to himself.

"Now, about the locked car mystery... How was the trunk door locked? And is it possible to open the trunk door without the key?" The mechanic thinks about this for a bit. "I know there's still variables that I'm not sure on as I want to clear them up, so..."

Intermission

[Scene Music]

They were no longer in the mansion. They were gathered in what appeared to be the lobby of a grand and ancient courtroom. Available on shelves next to everyone was a book--Ghost Fables. An accurate retelling of everything that happened so far, in both the world of the living and the dead.

Those who had been alive had no idea how they got here. And yet they were here all the same, the only pleasure available to them being several sets of lukewarm tea.

“I hope you all enjoyed!” Gideon said to everyone. “And if you’re confused or bored, well then don’t come into the courtroom! See if I care!” Secretly he probably did care, but he wouldn’t say that.

“For now, everybody introduce yourself! Then we can go inside and get started!”

[Introduce yourself if you’re participating in the trial. If you have two characters, your “other half” is mysteriously missing from this world at the moment. Choose which one you will be]

Shy guy

Verrier whirled around, wondering what the heck had just happened. Last he recalled, he'd just discovered something about Harley, then left off on a cliffhanger. Now he was in a strange... courtroom? He couldn't see Albrecht anywhere, either.

"...What?"

ASCEND

“You’ve gotta be kidding me!” Friedrich shouted, rubbing a hand through his hair. “It’s Tomb of Lost Souls all over again!”

He looked around, finally noticing that he’d been relocated to a courtroom.

“What the hell?” he asked, “How’d we end up here? And is that...”

He narrowed his eyes at his older brother.

“...Gideon? Last I saw you, you were dead.”
Vesti and Lauren's Interdimensional Investigations
This CYOA follows Vesti Gates and Lauren Tehra, two detectives who search for the truth, whether in their own dimension or otherwise.

Rookie Killer

A while back, James had abruptly left to go on what he called a "business trip" though what it actually entailed would, for now, be left for everyone's imagination.

"Gideon... is that you? No, it can't be...", Heinrich had arrived - his eyes being immediately drawn to Gideon. As he moved towards him, he noticed something else. He had regained some of the vitality he had once had and also no longer being plagued by constant coughs, he was able to gently put down his walking stick.

The disgusting, frothing demon known as Edelfäule tucks a case of Red Bull under her arm. Strands of pale rose hair whip around her wide, menacing horns as she cracks her neck in anticipation. She raises two clawed hands in front of her and flips everyone the bird. That's introduction enough, isn't it?

[Edelfäule's Theme]

"I'm just here to break in the ego of another wannabe golden-age pissant," she croaks, her mouth filled with as much bile as can be heard in her tone. "I'll defile this story and punish it's amateur plot holes so that Gideon begs to have his name removed from this filth."

Meta meanwhile is not around. Perhaps it would be overpowered to have a real lawyer.

Sleeping is my life.

"Are you saying that father's doctor found something odd about my body and yet, you left us on a cliffhanger?! Are you serious?!" Harley shouted just before he and the other dead folks suddenly found themselves in the courtroom.

"W-What is this madness?! Where are we?" The mechanic said before he noticed some familiar faces that he didn't think he'd get to see again. "Even the survivors were brought here? Are you kidding me?"

"What in the god damn?" Jolina looks around more than a bit confused at the change of surroundings. "There wasn't anything this fancy in the tomb. And just what the he'll are we supposed to start?" She asks halfheartedly.

"W-why are there dead people?!" She stumbles out of her mouth after noticing Harley.

"...Is this not exciting? Finally, we get to experience a mystery with Gideon in all its glory..!"

Angelo walked up the others, seemingly prepared for what was to come. He turned to the dead.

"Congratulations, you guys. You get to solve your own murders. This is a great opportunity for you guys..!"

"It's just a simple trial. An appropriate climax to any mystery story, wouldn't you agree?" Gideon truly seemed like a psychotic little boy. It was hard to believe he was as 'unfeeling' as he described. "I already described the rules in the book, but I'll reiterate--identify the impossible crime. There are harsher fates than Limbo, and you'd do well to avoid them."

Gideon had not truly told them everything. Those trapped in Limbo were doomed to go insane at some point or another--it was hardly a purgatory and more of a milder hell. The only true 'escape' was second death--when one either resolves everything that happened in their life, or their name is uttered for the final time. Nobody knew what lied 'beyond' when second death occurred. Some believed it to be nothingness so they clung to an unfeeling life in Limbo. Others believed it to be paradise.

"By the way, a few of you are aware of some 'twists' in this story. All I care about is a fittingly dramatic climax. So don't ruin the fun by spoiling, or I'll make sure to personally select your eternal torture, or even that of those you love. If you don't wanna play, then enjoy the rest of your 'life' in Limbo. It gets boring faster than you might think. Is 'faster' even the proper word for a place like this...?"

No other way than to make this mistake.

Juna looked at Gideon with a terrified look and then the others. Really, how can one even process this correctly?

"What the Hell?" She muttered, looking around, possibly for someone specific. This seems to end in failure, as she ended up looking rather frustrated and ran her hand through her hair a couple times.

And, with a phantom curtain raising, Lynde appears.

Lynde wears the exact outfit Madonna wore in The Material Girl Music Video.

He strides confidently over to Juna, gives her a huge smile, and kisses her passionately. "I missed you!" he says, still smiling. "I think I like it here. What do you think?"

Sock

"What... What is this? What are you all talking about?"

Agnes turned to her father and heard him speak. "...I see. Or at least I think I do..." Agnes dusted herself off, and took a few steps closer, or some other equivalent if she couldn't move, as if she were accepting Gideon's challenge.

"If you just wished to share stories with us again Father, it would've been far more considerate to ask first, don't you think?" A slight grin formed on the edge of her lips. Despite all this limbo, death, and demonic nonsense, the thrill of the atmosphere was getting her excited. Or perhaps she had already lost her mind in the various tragedies that transpired before her eyes.

"...Huh?" Mia eloquently uttered. "What's... what's going on now? Did everyone here die, o-or...?"

BEECH

"Oh! So we get to try and solve the cases with everyone now? How exciting!" Julia smiled and waved at the people that had just arrived.

Cici doesn't appear to be in Limbo.

Happy Maria

Edna took a few steps forward, taking in everything (and everyone) before her. "G-Giddy..." She sighed, looking at the insane ghost of the man she loved. Despite what one might have expected, she didn't seem all that happy to have seen him again. In fact, she appeared to be a bit upset. "So we're here... to solve everything..?" She sighed. "I have no idea as to what has been happening up till now. Where would one even begin?" She looked down, not acknowledging the presence of the other ghosts. Perhaps it was out of guilt.

Franzise Deauxnim wrote:
"...Huh?" Mia eloquently uttered. "What's... what's going on now? Did everyone here die, o-or...?"

"Not fucking likely. The Ghost Wichser is pushing the rules bringing material fuckers in here. He's scared that we won't have enough information to actually solve everything, so he's bringing them inas a failsafe. When he resumes the story though, they won't be able to remember this," the demon punctuates her statement by spitting grey rot onto the pristine lobby floor.

Shy guy

"Sorry, am I the only one just a tiny bit surprised by, um... all that?" Verrier commented to the others, staring at Lynde. "I realise there's a lot going on here, but..."

No other way than to make this mistake.

HonestIago wrote:
And, with a phantom curtain raising, Lynde appears.

Lynde wears the exact outfit Madonna wore in The Material Girl Music Video.

He strides confidently over to Juna, gives her a huge smile, and kisses her passionately. "I missed you!" he says, still smiling. "I think I like it here. What do you think?"

Juna looked more confused than ever, "I missed you too, but... what? How are you... what?"

"Gideon...?" Ingrid muttered, looking at what had become of her brother. "Am I dead? Wait, are you alive?! You're alive, aren't you?!"

In spite of the somber and dignified atmosphere of the lobby, Ingrid grabbed Gideon by the collar and shook him a few times. She had some stuff to get out of her system. "You haunt me for two years and for this?!"

"You know I didn't even like Tomb of Lost Souls!"

fella

Erik awkwardly coughed, looking around the courtroom.

"So even the people that are still alive have to participate in this, huh? Great..."

He shook his head disdainfully, letting out a heavy sigh.

"... Well, as long as they get to go back to their lives, at least... fine. Let's solve murders, I guess."

He let out a mirthless chuckle as he stood up to approach his father, a genuine, if small, smile forming on his face.

"Hey, Dad... hell of a way to meet each other again, huh?"

"I-Ingrid?!" Mia sputtered. "Y-you're here to-"

But before she could address her any further, Ingrid had gone over to throttle her brother. Well, that was understandable.

"Oh, um, h-hmm..." she awkwardly trailed off, then watched quietly while she finished.

Southern Corn wrote:
Edna took a few steps forward, taking in everything (and everyone) before her. "G-Giddy..." She sighed, looking at the insane ghost of the man she loved. Despite what one might have expected, she didn't seem all that happy to have seen him again. In fact, she appeared to be a bit upset. "So we're here... to solve everything..?" She sighed. "I have no idea as to what has been happening up till now. Where would one even begin?" She looked down, not acknowledging the presence of the other ghosts. Perhaps it was out of guilt.

Gideon didn't seem to have any strong reaction to Edna and Agnes, at least not compared to the other characters. "Please, Edna. You know me well enough. Did you really expect anything else?"

DootDootDoot wrote:
"Gideon...?" Ingrid muttered, looking at what had become of her brother. "Am I dead? Wait, are you alive?! You're alive, aren't you?!"

In spite of the somber and dignified atmosphere of the lobby, Ingrid grabbed Gideon by the collar and shook him a few times. She had some stuff to get out of her system. "You haunt me for two years and for this?!"

"You know I didn't even like Tomb of Lost Souls!"

"Haunt you?" Gideon raised an eyebrow, though it wasn't clear whether or not that was in jest. "Are you sure that wasn't insanity? DID would be a fitting twist at this point in the story."

JesusMonroe wrote:
"Haunt you?" Gideon raised an eyebrow, though it wasn't clear whether or not that was in jest. "Are you sure that wasn't insanity? DID would be a fitting twist at this point in the story."

"Shut up." she answered. "And DID would be a terrible twist."

That seemed to be the part she took the most issue with.

Franzise Deauxnim wrote:
"I-Ingrid?!" Mia sputtered. "Y-you're here to-"

But before she could address her any further, Ingrid had gone over to throttle her brother. Well, that was understandable.

"Oh, um, h-hmm..." she awkwardly trailed off, then watched quietly while she finished.

"... Mia?" Ingrid finally let go of Gideon and realized there were other people in the room. "I... I'm..."

"... I'm sorry." she sighed. "This is my fault, isn't it..."

ASCEND

Collin1002 wrote:
He let out a mirthless chuckle as he stood up to approach his father, a genuine, if small, smile forming on his face.

"Hey, Dad... hell of a way to meet each other again, huh?"

Fritz smiled, having finally noticed his son, though it was clear tears were forming at the edge of his eyes.

"It certainly is, Erik. I didn't really understand what's going on myself, but if it means we can find the person responsible for...all this, I can be satisfied."

Fritz reached out to hug Erik and shut his eyes tight, trying to ignore the vision's of his son's corpse that continually resurfaced.

"Now I wonder where your mother is," he mumbled, "At least she must be okay, but still...it's quite strange."
This CYOA follows Vesti Gates and Lauren Tehra, two detectives who search for the truth, whether in their own dimension or otherwise.

Happy Maria

Edna stayed silent in response to Gideon, continuing to stare idly at the floor. She seemed mournful if anything, strangely, not quite wanting to say anything more aloud.

immense and gratuitous violence

Christof wakes up, apparently having been asleep for several days, tormented by nightmares of paperwork and arbitrary deadlines. Whoops.

"Uhh, where are we?" he mumbles, rubbing sleep from his eyes. Upon realizing it is a courtroom, he panics. "Oh no, I didn't miss another appointment to testify, did I? The prosecutor's office will be furious....."

DootDootDoot wrote:
"... Mia?" Ingrid finally let go of Gideon and realized there were other people in the room. "I... I'm..."

"... I'm sorry." she sighed. "This is my fault, isn't it..."

"Ah! No, um, I mean...!" Mia started to rush over to Ingrid, looking like she was going to hug her for a minute, but then she slowed herself to a stop a few steps away and looked at the ground. "I... I'm sorry... I should have told you... should have trusted you, but... I was just so scared..." she mumbled. "M-maybe if I had, this wouldn't have happened..."

Datamatt wrote:
Juna looked more confused than ever, "I missed you too, but... what? How are you... what?"

Lynde smiled as he said "No idea really. It all just feels so much less real and constrained here. I think i like that."

[Scene Music]

“Well then, I’m sure you guys have a lot of questions. But that can come for when we’re in the courtroom.”

“If solving every mystery is what we need to do… then damn it we’ll do it.” Fritz clenched his fist with determination. “There are only so many solutions, we should be able to identify the impossible crime together.”

“Reaaaally? You can find the impossible crime? Ingrid’s letter? The chain lock in the study? The dining room door? The Benz? The wine cellar? Mia’s phone calls? Mia’s death? Erik’s death? The shooter? Lynde's disappearance? The body in the boiler? Albrecht’s disappearance? Gideon’s twin sealed rooms? The tomb? Perhaps that’s not even all of them!”

It wasn’t a matter of whether or not they could solve all of them. They had to. If they wanted any choice of moving on…

Chapter 3 ~ END
Re: Ghost Fables ~ Dead Thread Chapter 4Topic%20Title

~~Answers Arc~~

~~Chapter 4~~

Spoiler: ???
[You can read this scene but characters won’t know about it]

“Ah, James? Where are you going?” Gideon asked.

“Away from here. I have other stories to follow.” He wasn't even looking at Gideon, completely uninterested in the story at this point.

Gideon frowned. “Come on, you didn’t even solve all the mysteries.”

“I think I’ve seen enough. Especially that last one.”

“The tomb?”

“Yea--I figured it out. Honestly, you have balls. To do some bullshit solution like that--it doesn’t even qualify as a mystery, and it only exists to be ‘impossible’. That you’re presenting it even as a riddle is a joke.”

Gideon laughed. “Oh come on. Just consider it my trump card--something to send my family to the grave if need be.”

[Scene Music]

“Let the trial begin!” Gideon announced. “Whoever is found ‘guilty’ of any single crime will be determined by all of you! Someone is sure to meet a terrible fate indeed.”

Edelfäule spoke up, “Let it be on the record that the Ghost Wichser has refused to respond to the blue truths regarding Erik’s death and Mia’s phone calls. Therefore those can be considered ‘solved’.”

“Always a stickler, eh? But that’s fine, we still have plenty more twists to uncover!” He sat in the judge’s chair, high above everyone else. “First things first, if you have any questions about how this format or blue truths work, ask away! I’m sure from reading Ghost Fables you guys have found that some characters have been keeping secrets as well. Perhaps you want to start with interrogating them.”

It seemed every character except for ‘Raphael’ and Cici was present.

Shy guy

"As is perhaps customary, I'll start things off with what little I know about the victims." Verrier said. Despite his controlled expression, he seemed a little on edge. The others had seen him looking for Albrecht earlier, to no avail. It seems he was the only one there who didn't get a reunion with a ghost.

"Master Albrecht: He died from a heart attack. It seems he was about to take his medicine, but was prevented somehow, immediately leading to the heart attack. He had no injuries.
"Julia: She was eviscerated by a knife, from sternum to stomach. The knife was left in her body. I could confirm nothing more than that.
"Harley: Identical to Julia.
"Mia: She had a head wound, suggesting an impact with something with an edge. However I could not determine if this was the cause of death.
"Erik: He was shot through the head, killing him. There was nothing else to find.
"Burned man: The heat damage was too severe. I could determine nothing other than that he was male. He could be anyone not otherwise accounted for."

Most of it everyone already knew, and had figured out for themselves even without Verrier's autopsy attempts. The details of Mia's head injury were new, though.

"That's not even mentioning whatever you found out at the end of the story! Maybe I can tell you guys that. Consider it a lifeline or something, if my mystery is too complicated and scary." Gideon teased, obviously having fun with this.

"And you know what? Here's some red for free. This probably goes without saying but Raphael was not at Geistfabel February 28th-29th, 1988."

ASCEND

"Wait, are we really running with the theory that Erik shot himself, instead of the obviously suspicious guy hiding in the basement?" Fritz asked, "I mean, obviously I don't speak from experience, but don't people who shoot themselves in the face usually know they've done so? Erik seemed to think Gideon shot him in whatever that story was."

Perhaps Fritz should have approached the subject of his son's potential suicide less brazenly, but he was mostly just confused at this point.

“Well you could say this story is a fable. Maybe the ‘Gideon’ Erik saw was just representative of his guilt consuming him.” Gideon suggested, even though he should’ve known the answer. “But I suppose that would only make sense if there was something Erik felt guilty about. I certainly can’t think of a single thing~.”

Sleeping is my life.

"So, if Raphael wasn't at Geistfabel, like Gideon said... Then the Raphael we saw at Geistfabel must be... the stranger." Harley nods in agreement. "But, I don't get it... Why would Raphael have the stranger go in his place?"

fella

Erik glared up at Gideon, opening his mouth to say something before holding his tongue and letting out a sharp huff.

Hanzo Shimada wrote:
"So, if Raphael wasn't at Geistfabel, like Gideon said... Then the Raphael we saw at Geistfabel must be... the stranger." Harley nods in agreement. "But, I don't get it... Why would Raphael have the stranger go in his place?"

"Maybe he just didn't want to go to the family reunion this year and just sent someone in his place. The simple solution," Erik suggested before shaking his head. "But that just... doesn't sound right. Too simple, you know? Maybe he knew something like... like this was gonna happen this year and managed to get someone to go in his stead? I don't know, it's weird. And that begs the question as to just who the stranger is in general."

Shy guy

"We've all seen Raphael's note by now, whether in person or in the book," Verrier pointed out. "By the sounds of it, he hired some... thief, or other miscreant, to perform some unspecified 'task'. Maybe his job was stealing the headship ring. He came here disguised as Raphael so that we would accept him and not be suspicious when he traipsed about the island by himself."
Page 5 of 18 [ 705 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 18  Next

Board index » Roleplay » Berry Big Circus