Board index » Roleplay » Berry Big Circus

Page 17 of 18[ 705 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Re: Ghost Fables ~ Dead Thread Final ChapterTopic%20Title

Shy guy

"Julia was in on it: after all, she was willing to fake her own death to trick us. Maybe instead of locking the door, she used something to emulate the sound, like a recording. The door wasn't locked in the first place. I imagine the intention was to make us believe Geistfabel is haunted," Verrier theorised.

Nobody would misidentify the sound of the dining room door locking. By ‘misidentify’ I’m of course including a recording or other locks. And if that red isn’t sufficient to crush the theory I’ll add that Julia absolutely locked the door.” Gideon said, “But I will admit it’s a ‘sound’ theory.”

Shy guy

Verrier looked like he wanted to retort, but couldn't come up with anything and just settled for tapping his fan against his cheek irritably.

"Can I get a confirmation that no-one would misidentify the sound of the dining room door unlocking as well?" he then asked, though he may have only been stalling while he tried to think of a different solution. "We would have seen if anyone unlocked it from inside the room, I imagine?"

Yes the previous truth applies to unlocking as well. And perhaps you all would’ve seen it, perhaps not.” Gideon vaguely snickered. “I imagine a variety of tricks could be used. Black paint is all the rage these days.”

Shy guy

"I suppose I should have specified 'directly unlocking the door by hand'. Would we notice if someone got up and headed for the door? Or could anyone in the room have gone to fiddle with the door at some point before midnight? I imagine they couldn't have unlocked the door at midnight, as we all turned to look at the door when we heard it unlock."

The door can only be locked or unlocked from the inside by direct contact with your hand. The same applies for the outside—it can only be directly unlocked with the key in your hand, not any other sort of mechanism used. That of course covers any time-delayed unlocks.”

Shy guy

"When you eliminate the impossible... I'm sure I must be missing something, but: no-one on the inside unlocked the door, otherwise we would have seen them. Edna did not unlock the door, or at least, you stated in red that she didn't believe she unlocked it. The only one left who could unlock the door is Albrecht," Verrier concluded doubtfully.

Albrecht did not unlock the door! This includes all intentional and unintentional means. It was Edna—that is the truth once you eliminate the impossible. She is simply insane, that’s the most logical explanation.”

ASCEND

“What about Angelo?” Fritz said, “He was unaccounted for at the time. Perhaps he could have walked over to the mansion and unlocked the door.”
Vesti and Lauren's Interdimensional Investigations
This CYOA follows Vesti Gates and Lauren Tehra, two detectives who search for the truth, whether in their own dimension or otherwise.

Shy guy

JesusMonroe wrote:
Albrecht did not unlock the door! This includes all intentional and unintentional means. It was Edna—that is the truth once you eliminate the impossible. She is simply insane, that’s the most logical explanation.”

"I figured as much. There really is only one conclusion here: Edna unlocked the door, but did not realise," Verrier declared. "Yet, the wording of Jolina's comment is quite particular: 'the mastermind thought this prank up'. That is to say, the mastermind tricked Edna into opening the door. They did so because they themselves could not open it without being seen. Maybe they drugged her, or convinced her she was opening a different door, or hypnotised her, or... er, something equally scientific like that."

"Wow. Congratulations Ghost Wichser. You got this Volldepp to put his mouth on your bait," Edelfäule mocks, clearly disgusted with Verrier's move.

"Anyway, I declare that I have the rest of this game all figured out. This washed-up has-been with all the ghost writers in the world is worth less than the frothing shit that comes out of my mouth every fucking minute. I'm ready to submit my final answers. What will you give me if I'm right, Gideon?" The demon cocks her head back and even as a ghost, it is difficult to ignore the heat of her stare. It seems that her time of being idle in this story is drawing to a close quickly.

Shy guy

Verrier glowered at Edelfäule. "I do have one more theory, but I thought it best to first wait for a response to my first. I'll say it now then: the mastermind tinkered with the clock so that it chimed outside of midnight. Therefore, the dining room door was unlocked at a time other than midnight. This makes the red truth regarding who was in the mansion irrelevant."

"Hmmmm...... hmmmm...." Gideon mulled over Verrier's blue, as well as Edelfäule's solution.

"Yes, yes... wrong on both counts." He frowned, but it was clear he was already getting nervous about something. "I don't think there's really any need to keep this back and forth going, you know? It's not like you've proven Edna is innocent, and that's not happening anytime soon. Plus Cici's murder is still unsolved. Therefore, I declare that this story is OVER."

[Scene Music]

The book slammed loudly shut, a shockwave going across the trial area. In the world of the dead where Gideon made the rules, it seemed he had no interest in playing fair. He could simply write out whatever outcome he wanted, even if nobody believed it. "I will now prepare Edna's punishment. I have a bit of writer's block on this one, so just give me time!"

Those who had been participating stared daggers at Gideon, looking sympathetically at Edna all the same. She was clutching her coat close, feeling the sensation of cold for the first time since entering this world.

Spoiler: Meanwhile
Agnes had spent eternities searching. The world of the dead had no map, and no bounds. She may as well have been searching the milky way for a rock--one that nobody had ever seen and had no direction.

And yet she would not give up. She simply replayed her memories, trying to hold onto her sense of self. Even if it meant losing her sanity, she would find Ingrid. And after several eternities.... her task came to a close.

In front of Agnes was an all too familiar tomb...

-----

Edna was handcuffed in the middle of the room, unable to move. Gideon was holding an executioner's axe, colored red. Nobody was able to approach. It didn't appear that anything was blocking them, it was more like the world itself would not allow them to interfere. Even as much as their minds could resist it, their bodies would not follow.

"I hope everybody finds this tragedy appropriately satisfying. Edna, you have hereby been found GUILTY of masterminding the murders that have occurred in Ghost Fables. I will give the others time to give you any last rites, and if you have any final words then I will also note them for the court record."

He went close to Edna, whispering in her ear. "No story is complete without a confession. I promise... you will feel much better if you provide one."

[Scene Music]

It was undoubtedly the end. And it was a completely unpreventable, unsatisfying, tragic outcome.

ASCEND

Fritz stood near the corner of the room, a look of bitter disappointment on his face.

“You know, that’s your problem, Gideon,” Fritz said. “You can put all this work into your elegant mysteries and your perfect impossible crimes, but that won’t change the fact that you don’t care about any of the characters. And that makes all of your endings equally shitty.”

He turned his back on the macabre scene Gideon had left before them.

“Maybe I’m the only one who can change that.”

Fritz walked straight out of the room.
Vesti and Lauren's Interdimensional Investigations
This CYOA follows Vesti Gates and Lauren Tehra, two detectives who search for the truth, whether in their own dimension or otherwise.

"Did I just agree with bitch-boy Fritz?" Edelfäule tosses her hair as she turns away from the spectacle. "A dipshit halfwit called out by a dipwit halfshit, how fitting."

"Gideon's wit has been smacked so raw that he can't even form a proper ending to this tale. It's all because he tried to do everything on his own. If only you let me help you..." she continues to keep the sight away from her eye sockets, having had her fill of Gideon's shame. The audacity of refusing her answers would surely rend him from his reputation once she let the other demons know.

Sleeping is my life.

"..... I agree with Fritz." Harley said firmly as he nods his head in agreement. "The way you treated us like we're characters in your story proves that you don't give a damn about your family.... Your brothers, your twin sister, father, Uncle Heinrich... Even your daughter, Agnes."

"Could I really call you my brother, Gideon? No." The mechanic shakes his head as he turns his back on the scene. "Fritz is right about one thing; your stories are shitty. I'm honestly embarrassed to have a older brother who couldn't even write a story that he's satisfied with."

With that being said, Harley walked out of the room, not even bothering with Gideon's show.

Happy Maria

Quote:
"I hope everybody finds this tragedy appropriately satisfying. Edna, you have hereby been found GUILTY of masterminding the murders that have occurred in Ghost Fables. I will give the others time to give you any last rites, and if you have any final words then I will also note them for the court record."

He went close to Edna, whispering in her ear. "No story is complete without a confession. I promise... you will feel much better if you provide one."

"Just bludgeon my head off and get it over with", Edna spat. "You aren't the Gideon I knew and loved. You once said you wanted to be together with me forever. Now I see you're no different from the others. You just want me gone from here for good. So do it, you coward. End it. I don't want to see any of you ever again."

Shy guy

"I'll see this through to the end, whatever 'this' is," Verrier said, crossing his arms and keeping his eyes locked on the scene. He didn't comment on Gideon's actions, but then, everyone else was doing a good enough job for him.

Happy Maria

As Gideon seemed to ready his axe, Edna looked down, tears streaming from her eyes. "Agnes, Lynde, Ingrid, Juna... I'm sorry. I'm sorry for not being there for you enough..."

She closed her eyes silently, embracing her fate at this point. She said nothing more.

"...I always knew you were a bastard," Mia growled at Gideon. "Orchestrating my death for the sake of some story was bad enough, but seeing what you're willing to put Ingrid, Edna, and the others who actually gave a damn about you through... T-there's just no words for how depraved you are..."

Spoiler: Tomb Part 1
It was predictably small, but Ingrid had managed to make a mess out of the barren tomb: Gideon's portrait had been carefully removed from the wall, examined, and then smashed in a fit of rage, pieces of the frame and the canvas scattered around wildly. The coffin had been opened and the lid thrown aside.

Ingrid stood in the middle of this, or more accurately she kneeled by the door, grasping at the crossbar with fingers tinged with frostbite. She drew ragged, cold, desperate breaths. But of course she was not allowed to die.

Faintly, a specter of her brother had appeared. The same, familiar specter that had followed her for two years. “Having trouble?”

"... You won't even let me suffer in silence. Here to speak more red? More rope for me to hang myself with?"

"No... I'm here to tell you to let me go, Ingrid. Let all of 'this' go." Gideon pantomimed around the room. "There's no escaping from here unless you can at least do that--some mysteries aren't meant to be solved."

"... No. No, I can't do that." she answered. She felt like her hands were freezing shut around the bar. "I need to know. I need to know who did this, and who didn't... I won't ever have peace of mind if I don't. Physically I might exit this tomb, but mentally? I'll be here every time I close my eyes. Every time I look at my family. It's been like that ever since..."

Gideon looked sad at Ingrid’s answer, but had a slight smile for her usual stubbornness. “Since my death? I think you need to accept that there could be more truths than you think.”

He sat next to her. “Perhaps Fritz and Heinrich did do something that night. That doesn’t mean they never loved you. That they don’t love you. I think you’ll see that soon.”

"... How can I accept that? I can't bring myself to trust anything that's not in red anymore." she leaned her head against the cold door to the tomb, a few tears freezing on her face. "I want to. But I can't stop doubting."

"Maybe it's not them. Maybe I'm the vile one who can't love anymore. Today, I even went as far as to suspect Agnes... Agnes! Your own daughter, and I scrutinized every word out of her mouth!"

“... you will see. Believe it or not, there are some statements even stronger than red. You just have to listen to them with your heart.”

He then smiled, but it was more like the one he put on while he was alive. “And that ‘Gideon’ up there—he’s not me. It’s somebody’s version of me. The truth is there are no such thing as ghosts. When somebody dies, all that’s left are the memories.”

Ominously, he began to fade at that statement. She couldn't do anything more except stare at her brother fading, wondering if this could be another trick. Maybe even one she was playing on herself.

Spoiler: Tomb Part 2
Agnes quietly approached the tomb. She raised her hand to knock, but heard footsteps approach behind her.

“Uncle Fritz… ?”

Somehow he had caught up to her. More accurately, he tracked her--knowing her better than she probably suspected. He had spent years reading over and adapting her stories, which by some extension were the most private parts of her soul.

Despite being in the world of the dead, Fritz found himself heavily shivering in the storm. This was without a doubt no longer the unfeeling world of Limbo. “I suppose… she’s in there? Good job.” He nodded at his niece.

Fritz stepped over to the tomb and placed his head on it. He let out a ragged breath before speaking.

“Ingrid? Can you hear us?”

On the other side, Ingrid felt a brief feeling of warmth and life. And she once again unset the crossbar, as she had done many times before. “Are you really there? Am I hearing voices now?” She muttered weakly.

“Aunt Ingrid!” Agnes called out and followed behind her uncle, after hearing Ingrid’s voice. “Yes! We’re here! Finally...”

“... why? Why would you come here? There’s no way out of here.”

"Isn't it obvious?" Agnes sighed, though it was probably only heard by Fritz. "I'm here to save you! Get you out of there! Y'know, all that sort of stuff." She smiled wide, happy to be within reach of her goal.

Quietly, Ingrid opened the door. Agnes and Fritz stepped inside, getting only the slightest reprieve from the cold storm. The family embraced each other, not thinking about escape for a moment. And then slowly the reality of their situation set in.

"... There is no exit." Ingrid voiced what she'd been thinking for an eternity. "I can't leave if the crossbar isn't in place, and I can't open the door when it is. I’m sorry, you came here to save a dead woman.”

It was truly futile. The ‘solution’ to the imposter’s death would do them no good, and all the extra red they got out of it only condemned Ingrid further. There was no way out of the tomb that would allow the crossbar to stay in place.

Well, there was one way. Fritz knew that well, and he knew he had felt that he came here for a reason.

“There is a solution,” he said. “A way for Ingrid to leave, I mean. If all we have to do is put the crossbar in place after she walks out of the tomb...” Fritz walked deeper into the tomb and stood by Gideon’s coffin, “Someone just has to stay and close it behind her. And it should be someone with no chance of living anyway.”

"Wait... Uncle? You don't mean...?"

Ingrid stared at her brother, not knowing this side of him. "... Why are you doing this? Fri- Friedrich, I... This isn't just death. You don't know what you're getting into. And I..."

She coughed, tearing up. "I deserve it. Even now, I can't get rid of it. I can't stop doubting you killed my- our brother. So maybe I deserve to just stay shut in here alo-."

You deserve it?” Fritz shouted. “I can’t remember the last good thing I did. For the last few years, all I’ve done is lie to my family, make a shit show, and let me son drown in a sea of guilt. If anyone deserves this, it’s me.”

His face was tight with fury like it had been every time they argued, but there was an underlying warmth deep beneath it. His expression softened, as he took off his sunglasses and let a smile shine through.

“But...this isn’t a competition about who’s the least deplorable person...I want to do this. I want to do something truly selfless before I bleed to death. So please, Ingrid...” He clenched his fist and slammed it into the stone wall. He averted his eyes, which grew hard with resolve.

“Get the fuck out...before I change my mind.”

"Uncle... I didn't search and search endlessly to abandon Ingrid here. I certainly wouldn't be satisfied with leaving you behind instead." Agnes frowned and shook her head.

"I know Aunt Ingrid is smart, but maybe- no, surely if we all put our minds together...! There has to be some sort of solution we can figure out... One that gets us all out of here!" She stomped her foot, making a somewhat loud clack with her heel. It wasn't all that imposing or threatening, but she was trying her best.

"... I love you." Fritz said to Ingrid.

She looked down on the ground and hugged him. They had both thought long enough about this--there was no other way. "I love you too."

[Scene Music]

Together, Ingrid and Agnes ran through the storm. Ingrid’s futility had completely gone away, replaced by complete determination. Fritz’s sacrifice would not go to waste. And finding the way back up would be much easier than finding their way here. There was no time to waste…

No, ‘time’ was in fact all they had.

Spoiler: Tomb Part 3
[Scene Music]Banger warning]

Fritz was terrified on the inside as the door closed, but he kept his brave face on. If he did this, he would be here forever--in the truest sense of the word. It wouldn’t even begin to make up for his sins, so how could he even say it was worth it?

The decision was ultimately made before he even came down here. So without even thinking, he simply moved the crossbar back into the brackets. It was a start.

Fritz’s tears splattered onto the stone floor as he stared at the crossbar secured into the brackets. They were not tears of futility, but enlightenment. For the first time, he understood Gideon’s fixation.

“This really is a perfect closed room, you bastard.” He laughed through his tears.

And then quietly, he picked up a piece of stone from the concrete ground that had been torn up. He went to the walls of the tomb, and began to write. He would continue to do this until all the walls and floor were filled with his chalky works, and then he would start over again and again.

Fritz quietly sat against the wall. The cold didn’t even bother him any longer--it was simply part of his existence. He went to pick up his ‘writing utensil’ again, but could not. His body was fading into ash, ‘escaping’ from the tomb.

Second death…? But I had so much more to write...

And finally he would move from this world to the one beyond.

Back in the courtroom, Gideon was satisfied enough. He raised the axe over his head, ready to swing.

The doors to the courtroom slammed open, bringing a rush of snow in alongside Ingrid and Agnes.

Ingrid had been feeling the cold for an eternity now, but each step she'd taken since leaving the tomb had been warmer. She finally felt like she'd left it behind for good. "... It's ironic. You'd expect the author to be able to solve his own mystery. But you are wrong, Gideon. Your answer is completely off."

Sock

Agnes ran behind Ingrid, only a few steps away. "It seems I wasn't too late!" She smiled wide, and wiped a few stray tears from her face.

"Father, enough is enough!"

Gideon seemed barely surprised that Ingrid had arrived, if anything appreciating the increased drama of the situation. “So you got out after all, huh? I’ll be sure to send you right back.” He hurled the axe towards his sister, prepared to split her forehead. “Edna is the only one who was in the mansion but not the dining room at midnight!

Happy Maria

"I-Ingrid..? Agnes..?!" Edna seemed quite shaken by their sudden appearances. The timing was truly fortunate, though unexpected. She stood where she was, transfixed by what was going on.

"The Drama!" Lynde Cheered as Ingrid entered the room and clapped his gloved hands before waiving himself as if he felt faint like a southern bell. But as he did, he let out an ever so quiet whisper.

"Don't apologize to me, Edna."

Then he smashed another Red Bull to stay hydrated for the finale.

JesusMonroe wrote:
Gideon seemed barely surprised that Ingrid had arrived, if anything appreciating the increased drama of the situation. “So you got out after all, huh? I’ll be sure to send you right back.” He hurled the axe towards his sister, prepared to split her forehead. “Edna is the only one who was in the mansion but not the dining room at midnight!

The axe drew a beautiful red arc across the courtroom, before being deflected with a flash of even brighter red. Ingrid had swatted it aside with a book. "... My turn, then. Here it is, the clue you didn't write: Edna never left her bedroom from before the door was unlocked to when everybody went to her room afterwards. Actually, Edna did not kill anyone. And furthermore, this judgement is a farce!"

[Scene Music]

Gideon had been blown back by the force of Ingrid's red. And for the first time since entering the world of the dead, he felt fear. Another impossible occurrence had happened. As the author, he should've known about all red. And all possible truths.

"You gotta be kidding me... how can you say that? More tape?"

"No. You wouldn't understand even if I explained it." she answered, moving closer and closer to the ghost writer. "If you really were Gideon, you wouldn't need me to explain."

With that, she slammed the book's spine against the side of his head.

Gideon felt the full impact of the book and was knocked to the ground, towards the crowd. He truly had no power left—his story had been ripped to shreds at this point, and the truth he had been pushing was no longer believable.

“If I really were Gideon...?” His face twisted in rage. “I am Gideon. He wouldn’t be anything without me!”

JesusMonroe wrote:
Gideon felt the full impact of the book and was knocked to the ground, towards the crowd. He truly had no power left—his story had been ripped to shreds at this point, and the truth he had been pushing was no longer believable.

“If I really were Gideon...?” His face twisted in rage. “I am Gideon. He wouldn’t be anything without me!”

"Wrong again." Ingrid punctuated her statement by bringing the book down on the writer's face. "... You know, Fritz's show... I really did try to watch it. I won't lie and say I liked it, but I actually did stick with it for a few seasons. The mysteries were either weak or just watered down versions of what I already read, but I kept watching. I enjoyed some of it. Do you know why?"

All Gideon could muster as a response was looking up, trying his best to not plead with his eyes.

"He got Grimsley. He understood the characters, the core of the story." she grasped the writer by the collar and lifted him up. "When he read the books, he didn't get what made a good closed room or anything like that, but he really got the emotional core of it. The heart, if you will."

"... He understood it far better than I did. I just didn't realize it until now. And you will never have that."

She pulled the book back and slammed it against his face. Again. And again.

"Why don't you pass that over here?" Long black spikes wrap around the Ghost Writer's neck and pulls him away from Ingrid. The demon's claws crush and rip through the soft, stringy flesh, and she flips the head right off of the ghost's body. Bystanders are hit by the spray of blood. The head flips in the air and lands several yards away.

[Edelfäule's Theme]

With one hand, Edelfäule flips the whole corpse over and opens her maw to drink directly from the severed neck, shotgunning blood, bones, guts, and soul in seconds. She crumples up the withered shell and tosses it across the room with a burp.

"Ahh... That hit just right," she groans, and as she does so, the rot evaporates from her face. "They say the bigger the fake, the better the taste, and that just confirmed it," shimmering, pale blue eyes like the summer sky snap into existence in her freed eye sockets. "Regardless, I think some dumbass fucker said something that pisses me off, so let's set the record fucking straight."

"Never, ever, in the history of his fucking way-too-long career did Gideon ever write any line for Grimsley. Not even one fucking time. And hey, I fucking hate Grimsley, but it's for deeply personal reasons. He and I are natural born enemies. Regardless, no great Grimsley moment should be attributed to Gideon's work as a writer."

Sock

“What... what are you all talking about?” Agnes glances back and fourth between the major figures spitting red, confused as all hell.

Lynde, covered in blood, looks wide eyed at the shot-gunned Gideon, then his eyes widen.

"That's why he needed people like me, and Agnes, isn't it?" he said before shot-gunning a red bull and then tossing the empty towards Gideon's head's open mouth. definitely not getting inside.

"Like your Aunt said, that little manwhore wasn't the real Gideon. You all couldn't tell the difference because it was painfully created from decades of involvement with Gideon's personal brand," the demon replies to Agnes, flakes of filth and grime peeling from her dress. "It was a just demon called a famewhore sellout, who let its creative vision be tainted by the influence of Gideon."

Her peasant clothes become an elegant plaid suitcoat and dress. A detective's hat appears on her head, and a pipe appears in her mouth. Unlit, of course.

"That's right," the demon detective nods to Lynde. "The real Gideon couldn't do things on his own. He was a shit writer, but he had nice money and could sell a brand. He came up with the parlor nice tricks that he then gave to a real writer who made it so readers could actually fall in love with it."

Sock

“So that’s... not Father?” Agnes blinks a few times and nods, determined.

“Then I suppose I wouldn’t need to feel bad for what we’re all about to do to him, then...”

“But, what’s going on with you?” Agnes eyes the demon up and down, observing whatever changes are going on with her.

Kachu wrote:
“So that’s... not Father?” Agnes blinks a few times and nods, determined.

"I wouldn't say that. He's the reflection of a first-hand experience with him..." the demon detective chews on her unlit pipe, concentrating her eyes on Agnes.

Kachu wrote:
“But, what’s going on with you?” Agnes eyes the demon up and down, observing whatever changes are going on with her.

"My changes? Why this is just my original design! Say hello to me, the original detective who was tossed into the fucking wastes for all eternity by that pisshole Gideon! But now that I've crumpled up that fake and taken my creative vision back, I can appear you for you in my perfect form!" Edelfäule stands triumphantly with her hands on the his of her dress, a smug smile at her lips.

"I was created by the author who would later write under the name of Gideon. I am Grimsley's older sister and his superior in every way. I represent the pure, untainted vision that was destroyed by Gideon, and that's why I vowed to ruin his name. And that's why I feel so good."

Happy Maria

Edna stared at the others, overwhelmed by what she had just witnessed. She didn't seem particularly sad about the death of the ghost, having already said he wasn't the Gideon she had loved. She had many questions on her mind. She tried to step towards Ingrid and the others, but the restraints on her stopped her from moving, no matter how hard she pulled.
Page 17 of 18 [ 705 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Board index » Roleplay » Berry Big Circus