Board index » Roleplay » Berry Big Circus

Page 5 of 15[ 574 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 15  Next

Re: After•LifeTopic%20Title

Sock

“It matters for one simple reason.” Light smirks confidently. “If the mole is the only way you can tell those two apart, well I’ll be glad to inform you that Exie’s mole no longer exists.”

“Kat’s lovely testimony tells us that Exie had this mole removed. She’s able to hide this to her adoring fans, presumably with some sort of makeup, but she would be perfectly able to remove it. And in a matter of seconds, the two twins become identical, don’t they?”

Light nods once, happily. “As my fellow said, Exie and her sister swapped places- giving the former every chance for murder!”

Shy guy

"W-wait, she did what? She removed her what?"

"Her mole, yes."

"B-but... she can't do that! X can't remove her mole! That would be like... like Superman removing his cape, or a cowboy without a hat!"

"She can and she did. Come on Exie, there's no point hiding it."
"We can prove it one way or another eventually anyway."

"Rrrrrr... Fine!"
"But I deny all these dumb ideas that I swapped with Endea!"
"I just wanted to remove it because it looked ugly, is all!"

She took out some make-up remover and rubbed the spot on her chin. It soon went away, and Barry gasped.

"Happy now?"

"I can't believe you really did that! It's just... It's like-"

"We heard you the first time!"
"Stop dodging the inevitable question: would you have mistaken the current Exie for Endea?"

"...Yes. I... suppose I would have. If you told me that right now, Endea was standing there in Exie's clothes, I'd believe you."

"And there you have it!"

"So after all that bragging about being a 'true fan', that's what your love amounts to..." Mia shook her head in disappointment. "If you had even a tenth of the love for Exie as I do for Rei, you'd have noticed the second she even THOUGHT about having her mole removed."

Shy guy

"Oh my god, you're right! I really am a failure! How could I have been so arrogant as to think I could tell Exie what she should or shouldn't do? As a true fan I should have seen that she was preparing to change her image, and supported her all the way!"

Barry continued to monologue in this way for a while. Death put him on mute for the time being.

The American Dream

"Maybe there was no switcheroo, then," Maria said. "But there's something that bothers me, and it's not directly related, I suppose. Or, maybe following this thread will bring us to the truth of what happened:"

"My issue has to do with Charlie: if Carcharo died before the blackout, is it not just a little strange that Charlie did not see him... at all? We may not know for sure how Carcharo got in, nor from where... but maybe we can find out who let him in? Who better than the man working right by the rear entrance? And why would Charlie keep his knowledge of seeing the man hidden? To hide his identity as the killer, of course!"

Happy Maria

"Wait, isn't there somethin' else?" Pat suddenly interjected. "Let's assume the twins switched after 20:46. Endea is the one on stage, while Exie pretends to be Endea and returns to the cafe. Now look at what ol' Barry had to say 'bout that. 'Endea' returned to the cafe at about 21:10, and only left again at 21:00. We know that Don left the cafe at 21:01, and died before the blackout happened- that is, 21:09."

"But!" He wagged his finger. "Look at the time when 'Endea' was there. She entered the cafe before the vic left, and only made her way out after the blackout happened! Even if you suppose the twins swapped, there was no opportunity for Exie to have done it! It's impossible for her no matter what! Ain't that right, Barry?"

Shy guy

"Err... I think so? Sorry, I'm a bit of a mess right now, it's hard to think straight. I think what you said makes sense? If you're saying neither Exie nor Endea could have killed the guy, I'm all for it!"

Death banged his scythe against the giant sounding block again.

"THAT SEEMS REASONABLE FOR NOW."
"MARIA BROUGHT UP AN INTERESTING NEW TOPIC."
"I WOULD LIKE TO SEE THAT DISCUSSED FURTHER."
"CHARLIE SHALL BE BROUGHT TO THE STAND TO TESTIFY."

As before, light from the hourglass shot to the witness stand and formed Charlie, who grinned at the assembled dead.

"STATE YOUR NAME AND OCCUPATION FOR THE COURT."

"Charlie Bolton! I'm a technician by trade, currently at least!"

"YOU ARE TO TESTIFY ABOUT YOUR ACTIONS ON THE DAY OF THE MURDER."
"IN PARTICULAR, REGARDING WHO YOU SAW."

"Sure thing, buddy!"
"There's not really much to say, though."
"I was hanging out in the staff lounge for a bit, but after that I got to work."
"I spent all my time working on that vending machine. I'm telling you, economy's gotta function!"
"In that time I didn't see anyone pass me by at all."
"Once the blackout hit, I went to the closet and started tinkering with the fusebox. You know the rest."

Happy Maria

"This makes perfect sense t'me", Pat nodded, giving Charlie a grin and a thumbs up. "Everythin' seems to add up, shall we move on?"

He seemed to be sweating slightly. He reaaaally didn't want Charlie to be the killer, huh.

BEECH

GUNS seemed to have sparks coming out of her head, just like her player.

"Okay, sooo........... Hold on. I may be gettin' an idea. Were you just. Fixin' the vending machine AAALLLL that time?? Didn't you have to go fix the stage with the other technicians at some point? If ya did then maybe someone saw you during that time and you'd have an alibi, right? right??"

Shy guy

"Err... It was a very important job!"
"What if someone else became a victim just like I, and had their money stolen by it?"
"I couldn't just quit halfway through!"

"Of course," Mai nodded. "So you were probably so wrapped up in your work that you wouldn't have even noticed anyone pass you, right? And then when the blackout happened, you were in the closet working on the fuse box, so you wouldn't have noticed anyone in the hall then either, right?"

BEECH

"But that makes him look SUS!!!!!!! I think the stage might have a bit more priority than the vendin' machine!" GUNS pulled on her own pigtails, attempting to think harder.

Shy guy

Charlie felt a bit pulled in two directions as the two women questioned him.

"There's nothing SUS about it, I swear!"
"It's a perfectly normal thing for any self-respecting technician like myself to do!"
"Like Mai there said, I was probably just too engaged in my work!"

He wiped his forehead with the back of his sleeve, glancing nervously between the two sides. Kat chose that moment to speak up.

"I was pretty clear with my orders."
"All technicians."
"Doesn't matter what they were doing, drop it and come fix the mess."

"Yeah, well... we all make mistakes!"

"Exactly." Mai shook her head again. "Even if Charlie was SUPPOSED to go to the stage, so what? It doesn't change the fact that he was working on the vending machine, and that anyone could have slipped past him, right?"

"Charlie wears many hats! It's probably hard for him to remember which ones he's wearing! He's so stupid? You're stupid!"

Shy guy

"I'm wearing my technician's cap, thank you very much!"
"I wouldn't go and forget something like that, now would I?"
"How else would everyone know who I am?"

"Heheohahaehaheheha..." Edgar... Dialogue tagged. He was silent for a remarkably long amount of time chugging coffee and scribbling furiously. "I've done it. I've solved it. The murder can't have happened during the blackout you say? Exie had no opportunity you say? Bullshit."

He held up a piece of paper with shaky caffeine infused hands. "If a gun is shown in the first act, it must go off by the second. If a bomb is strapped to a character's head, it must explode eventually. And this seemingly insignificant detail we skipped over was the solution staring us in the face all along. Behold:"

Spoiler:
"That poor, sad, neglected vase! Once full of life, it became an instrument of murder! The symbolism was so heavy handed and obvious I couldn't even consider it at first..."

BEECH

"The pipe was dry!!! HAHA!!" GUNS pointed and laughed at Edgar.

"Also- You may be thinkin'.......... What motive would Charlie even have to kill this guy?? And to that I say, I AM NOT CERTAIN. But, he did say he dealt with some evil guys at some of his past jobs!!!! He might've known this guy's group from one of 'em!!!"

Last edited by NIKI_4829 on Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NIKI_4829 wrote:
"The pipe was dry!!! HAHA!!" GUNS pointed and laughed at Edgar.

"No one cares about that fucking pipe!" Edgar made his strong feelings about the pipe very clear. "So they used the vase without the pipe! This is only a first draft! Look!"

"Makes sense to me." Mai clapped her hands in premature celebration. "Can we get a verdict now?"

Shy guy

NIKI_4829 wrote:
"Also- You may be thinkin'.......... What motive would Charlie even have to kill this guy?? And to that I say, I AM NOT CERTAIN. But, he did say he dealt with some evil guys at some of his past jobs!!!! He might've known this guy's group from one of 'em!!!"

"Motive?"
"W-wait, are you accusing me of murder?"
"Of murdering Don? You've gotta be kidding me!"

"Yes, that's quite an accusation out of the blue, and with nothing to back it up... Sounds like the defense is getting desperate," Mai smirked.

BEECH

DootDootDoot wrote:
"No one cares about that fucking pipe!" Edgar made his strong feelings about the pipe very clear. "So they used the vase without the pipe! This is only a first draft! Look!"

"Very compelling........ but I don't think flowers take that little to dry up and die forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!! right....?"

KamiPanda wrote:
"Motive?"
"W-wait, are you accusing me of murder?"
"Of murdering Don? You've gotta be kidding me!"

"It's either that or you helped in some way! I'm not buyin' that story of you fixin' the vending machine for so long without noticing anythin'.... it's not even finished!! So much for a diligent technician, amirite?!?!"

"I-Insulting Charlie's work as a technician won't help your case...!" Kris retorted. "I'm sure he did everything he could!"

"This is a case of witness bullying! He's a bad technician, but maybe be a little more cognizant of people of differing technical skill levels! If the judge permits, perhaps myself and GUNS should both race to fix a vending machine, and if I beat her time by half or better, she has to shut up about it."

BEECH

"WHAT!?! But he's supposed to be a professional, right?!? YOU'RE ON, THOUGH!! I know a few things about repairin' stuff!!!" GUNS said punching the wall.

The American Dream

"I asked earlier, but now seems more appropriate: where did the pipe come from? As a technician, I think it's feasible that Charlie could have access to spare pipes, or at least know how to get one. Why? To bust up the fuse box to cause a blackout and cover his tracks!"

"Idols like Exie are often known for their PIPES!" TV-Head points both their arms across the room with wild abandon. "I think it's on you to prove that Exie doesn't know what a hardware store is!" They add, a sentence which makes slightly more sense.

On the side, TV-Head gets a head start on fixing a vending machine provided they are given access to one.

Shy guy

NIKI_4829 wrote:
"It's either that or you helped in some way! I'm not buyin' that story of you fixin' the vending machine for so long without noticing anythin'.... it's not even finished!! So much for a diligent technician, amirite?!?!"

"No, there's no way I'd-!"
"I didn't kill him!"

WinterCoat wrote:
"I asked earlier, but now seems more appropriate: where did the pipe come from? As a technician, I think it's feasible that Charlie could have access to spare pipes, or at least know how to get one. Why? To bust up the fuse box to cause a blackout and cover his tracks!"

"No, really, you're barking up the wrong tree here, I wouldn't-"

"Why did a 'technician' like you ignore your own boss?"
"Her orders were pretty clear!"

"W-well, you see-"

"You're probably not even a real technician in the first place!"
"You're either the killer, or their accomplice!"
"Confess!!!"

"I... I..."

All of a sudden, Charlie took his cap off, threw it on the ground and stamped on it. Surprisingly, there were traces of tears in his eyes.

"Fine! Fine, I'll confess, anything to stop this."
"I'll tell you the truth if it means you'll stop suspecting me of killing him!"
"Don was... Don was my boss. I wouldn't kill him. I was there to help him."

The unexpected confession caused both sides to abruptly go silent.

"Yeah I'm... not really a technician. I work for the Carcharo Group."
"Exie's been missing all her repayments, and Don wanted to put the pressure on."
"He wanted to catch her off-guard in her dressing room, where she'd be alone."
"Lately she's been making sure to always have people around her, you see."

"He couldn't easily get into the building, though."
"His face was too well-known to infiltrate through the front, and he had no way to enter through the back."
"That's where I came in. I dressed up as best I could as a technician, went in through the front and waited."
"Had some fake ID made up and everything."

"When it was time, I let Don in through the back. He headed down the corridor, and I returned my attention to the vending machine."
"I don't, er, actually know how to fix machines, but I felt pretty strongly about it, so I gave it my best shot."
"When the power went out I figured I should at least try to fix that instead."
"I didn't really know what I was doing, though. I kind of made a mess of things in there too..."

"Wait... you're saying the 'sabotage' the police saw was just you bungling a repair job?"

"Well... That's the long and short of it, yes."

"You do realise you can just flip the switch of a fusebox back up again if there's a power out?"

"Wait, really?"
"Oh, that would explain a lot."
"After a few minutes of trying to fix it, in the dark, I think I must have accidentally knocked the switch upright."
"That's when the power came back on."
"I've really made a fool of myself... I'll never make Don proud like this."

The American Dream

"Wait, but what actually caused the power to go out if it was not you?"

"... That sounds perfectly reasonable." Edgar finally calmed down enough about the pipe to just calmly sip his coffee in between his dialogue boxes. "And it gives us quite a clear outline of the crime, doesn't it?"

"The accused, jumpy and on edge from the blackout, runs back to her dressing room only to find a dangerous man she owes a lot of money to waiting for her. In a panic, she catches him by surprise and subdues him, and improvises a weapon out of that soon to be sad vase. Somehow." he paused for a moment after realizing he was spilling coffee on his drawing to move it aside. "And after realizing what she's done and that there's a witness on the way, she bolts out of the room. The rest we've seen with our own eyes. The why, the how, and the who are all in order. Do we need to delay this trial any further?"

WinterCoat wrote:
"Wait, but what actually caused the power to go out if it was not you?"

"The venue had a similar blackout in the past. The fusebox or the wiring or whatever is faulty or something don't dwell on it let's just have this verdict."

The American Dream

DootDootDoot wrote:
"The venue had a similar blackout in the past. The fusebox or the wiring or whatever is faulty or something don't dwell on it let's just have this verdict."

"So, you're saying the culprit relied on sheer luck that the faulty wiring would work in their favor that night? What kind of reasoning is that?"

WinterCoat wrote:
"So, you're saying the culprit relied on sheer luck that the faulty wiring would work in their favor that night? What kind of reasoning is that?"

"She didn't 'rely' on anything in particular! As I've said, it was all just a spur of the moment reaction to suddenly finding a mobster in her dressing room. Hence, the ridiculous and improvised murder method. We no longer have any evidence the fusebox was even sabotaged."

"Perhaps the defense should do a little bit more premeditating before they try to make a case for a premeditated crime!" TV-Head's smile looks a little more smug after that jab.

(Also they totally aced the vending machine thing probably)

The American Dream

"Wait a second!"

Maria unsheathed her sword. "I believe I may have strung together some threads in my head, sewing together a hypothesis! Consider what Charlie said:"

Charlie wrote:
"After a few minutes of trying to fix it, in the dark, I think I must have accidentally knocked the switch upright."

"He said he knocked the switch 'upright'. If you consider what we know about the switch, you might find that a bit odd. Was the switch already down, then? If that's the case, the power could have been cut manually!"

"Now, it's known that circuit breaker switches automatically trip and switch off when there's an issue, but, again: the idea that the blackout was used as a spur-of-the-moment cover for Exie to kill the mobster hustling her is laughable. Edgar, I will humor your vase theory: it is impossible. The flowers in the vase were quite neglected, meaning there was not enough water in the vase to drown Carcharo! They would look healthy, otherwise."

"If Carcharo were to drown, it would have to have been in one of the bathroom sinks. Next, it's silly to assume that Exie would have time to get Carcharo into the bathroom to drown him, then bring him back to the dressing room. You may say, 'well, maybe the pipe was used to knock him out, then she dragged him!' And, well, you are wrong. The pipe showed no signs of being used as a weapon, nor did Carcharo's head have any hints of being hit."

"Next, when Endea found the body, she said someone ran out of the room. That person was the culprit -- the person who drowned Carcharo and then brought him back to the dressing room. Recall something else: Endea encountered another person in the dressing room just after finding the body. That's right, Kat."

"'Kat? The killer? There's just no way!' I hear you say, and yet, it is so. She claims to have been there to check on everything during the blackout, yet it's strange that she, somehow, did not see this person running out of the running out of the room just before she got there. I believe that this mysterious runner and Kat are one and the same."

Happy Maria

Pat gave a sad sigh. "Charlie, Charlie... you poor fella... caught up in somethin' far beyond ya..." For some reason, he appeared quite sympathetic to his plight. "It's alright... now that yer boss is out, hopefully y'get a better lifestyle. You deserve better than this, after all."

"Ahem! What Maria's sayin' over there makes sense t'me. For Kat to have staged the blackout despite bein' in the audience wouldn't have been too hard. Maybe pay off the senior technician to do it or somethin'. I think our best move for now is t'figure out how the vic was killed, though. It seems to be the biggest point of contention at the moment, and I think if we figure that out, things'll slide into place and we'll figure out how the murder coulda only been possible for say, Kat. Thing is, the evidence list doesn't seem t'offer much in the way of possibilities for that.."

Shy guy

"I'm not sure I follow."

It was Kat's turn to pop up and talk now.

"You believe I caused the blackout?"
"The senior technician was on standby at the stage, after Exie made a mess of things."
"It's not possible for him to have turned the power off."

"As for your other claim, I didn't arrive immediately after Endea did."
"When I entered the room, she was phoning the police."
"She did not do so immediately. She claimed to have first checked on Don's condition."
"This does not leave much time for the killer to escape, I grant you, but you seem to be forgetting the lights were off."
"Look at the map: the killer could easily have headed towards the office while I was walking down to the dressing room."

Sock

"Even then." Light scratches the back of his neck. "Is there any motive? You can pin this crime on whoever you want, unfortunately I can't stop your mouth from spewing nonsense. But I can't fathom anyone else having a stronger motive to end that shark's life than our accused idol."

"Things don't need to fall into place anymore than they already have, Patty, as we already have everything we need. Though even if you found an alternative cause of death, I'm afraid you'd only find that it digs you into a deeper hole."

"We must also remember our kind, yet not very technically inclined friend's words. Nobody on the scene would've known that the shark was going to be there. Why on earth would Kat fill a sink and kill him?"

The American Dream

Maria exhaled. "I believe that there is motive, yes."

"Kat has a motive to protect her revenue. Think about it: she owns the venue, and Exie is a cash cow. Imagine if people were to find out their favorite idol owed an exorbitant amount of money to a loan shark -- think about how that would destroy her image and potential profits. Exie's superfans do not even know about her mole removal, which just goes to show how important an idol's image really is! Furthermore, Kat would be able to know about something like Exie's debt if she was able to find out about her mole."

Shy guy

"By all means, explain how I did it, maybe I'll humour you then."
"Otherwise you don't have anything on me."
Page 5 of 15 [ 574 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 15  Next

Board index » Roleplay » Berry Big Circus