Board index » General » Trial Minutes

Page 1 of 1[ 33 posts ]

The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles AnnouncedTopic%20Title

is a five star man.

After a 6 year wait, the original Dai Gyakuten Saiban game and its sequel have finally been announced for the West, in the form of The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles. The package will be released on Nintendo Switch, PS4 and Steam on July 27th. The collection includes both games along with some additional DLC. One mode completely new to the series is a story mode which eliminates the need for puzzle solving and evidence hunting.

You can watch a trailer for the games and find out new information here, and we will keep you updated on new information regarding the game as it is announced.
Visit http://toatalireviews.com for all your TV and video game review needs.
Re: The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles AnnouncedTopic%20Title

The Law 'Shark'

I know its late to the party in the west, but my god I'm excited for AA content I haven't played yet...
Its so nice to have something in the series to look forward to again - Roll on July! <3
~Beware of the Shark - He'll bite!~

I've felt worse.

The joy I feel from seeing "Herlock Sholmes" is indescribable.
"It's never too late to learn that growing old doesn't have to mean growing up. Stay curious, stay weird, stay kind, and don't let anyone ever tell you you aren't smart or brave or worthy enough." -Stanford Pines, Gravity Falls

Had to remember how to log in to this website just to post.

I have barely looked at anything related to this game and it's been so long that I don't think I recall any details. I am beyond stoked to be able to play this finally.

A New Chapter of Trials!

i know three months are absolutely nothing compared to the wait so far, but I want to play this so badly. Absolutely cannot wait, these games have been a forbidden fruit for so long.
Eureka!

There are a few extra things presented in the trailer. Iris Watson was changed to Iris Wilson, the game has dual audio and there is a character mentioned in a court scene named Mr. Fairplay though his face wasn’t shown and I don’t know enough about the characters to have any idea who that would be. Finally, they are going to release a collection of this and the Ace Attorney trilogy called the Ace Attorney Turnabout Collection. I forget there are also 8 mini episodes called Escapades separate from the main story.

In case anyone is wonder why there isn’t a Xbox version, while Capcom hasn’t said anything official this is likely the reason https://nintendoeverything.com/more-cap ... imusha-hd/.

As someone who only recently go into this fandom within the last few months, I will say I certainly picked the right time to jump into this nutty world.

Also why would you need a Story Mode? I feel like that takes away from the core aspects of the series...

Happy Maria

Very hype. Can't wait for people worldwide to finally be able to play this with ease of access :)

glad that people finally get to experience this.

these are some of the best ace attorney games, and i hope they get the recognition they deserve.

The Real Human Being

>Capcom still re-releasing games rather than making new ones.

I'm still pleased to see it finally localized, but this feels lame.
Hopefully it's a sign of better things to come.

What did he do this time...?

Herlock Sholmes! :gant:

This looks great! Turns out it didn't have to be so difficult to localize this game as it was originally thought. It probably helps that it's now a Switch/Steam/PS4 title instead of just a 3DS exclusive. They even got all the DLC too, so it seems they went above and beyond for this. I'll be getting it Day 1!

By the way... does anyone know if the Scarlet Study has been working on the fan translation for the GAA2? I was wondering if they were nearing completion soon.
Want to play my custom-made Ace Attorney case made on Ace Attorney Online? (you must be using Firefox to run it)
Turnabout Destiny

Knight of the Court

Looking at the trailer, mainly the Escapade descriptions, I can determine a few more name changes, which I'll post under a spoiler tag.

Spoiler:
The ship in Case 2 is now the SS Burya.
Strogenov is likely Mitrov Stroganov. So we at least know his last name is being kept.
The "Lord Stronghart" mentioned in Escapade 3 is almost certainly Hart Vortex.
But there's something else interesting there. Gregson seems to be keeping his name. Maybe he's less of a well-known Holmes character enough that the estate won't come after them? A first name change is still possible, but this opens the door for other Holmes-named characters to keep their names.
Herlock still lives at Baker Street.

Also, did anyone else notice "Cleese and Palin British Taylors"? (pause at the big shot of London) Was that there in the original or is it a localization addition?

Edit: I found some more, in the "From the Vaults" section:

Spoiler:
We've got "Harebrayne and Asman" along with "Drebber and Tusspels". These are all likely characters from GAA2-3. We know Harebrayne is Benjamin Dobinbough, and it looks like Enoch Drebber kept his name. I'm guessing "Tusspells" is the waxworks owner, seeing as the name sounds like a combination of "Tussaud" and "Spells" (she looks like a witch). With that I assume Asman is the victim, Elyder Meningen, whose original name was a pun on "extremely bad person". Wonder what his first name is...

Something something please localize DGS.

Last edited by BigKlingy on Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

I just blue myself

Huuuge. Feel like a kid again, experiencing new Shu Takumi stories for the first time.

I'm halfway through the fan-translated AAI2 and honestly, I'm not fully loving it. Super amazing what they've achieved, but I'm excited for an official Capcom localisation of an Ace Attorney game! Hope they capture the same quality and humour of the classics.
I'm So Meta, Even This Acronym

But in all honesty, META humour sucks.

bearer of the hottest of takes

Honestly not a huge fan of the localized Japanese names -- seems like Capcom is repeating their mistakes from SoJ, which isn't fantastic to see.

That aside: HUGELY excited for this, not to mention it's getting a physical release in the West, a first since Investigations.

Gettin' Old!

tiger_festival wrote:
The joy I feel from seeing "Herlock Sholmes" is indescribable.

I love the story behind it is because Arthur Conan Doyle's estate wants the copyright to show that "Sherlock Holmes" is an asshole. Any Holmes who shows more empathy and emotion is therefore harming their copyright.

So bring on Sholmes! I'm super hyped for this! After such a drought of AA games, two come along at once!
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

is a five star man.

Couple more little details from the JP Twitter page - there will be autosave functionality as well as 20 save slots. It also implies that all cases will be unlocked from the start. Key configuration will be available on the Steam release.

High level play

Finally I don't have deal with the fact that these game exist and I can't play them. I'm definitely excited to play this!

Since the original trilogy has had more mainstream exposure nowadays you guys think it will lead to bigger sales?
Thats probably a main factor whether more games get released, so i hope it will do well. Maybe it will even lead to some more traffic on CR.
Face your emptiness don't be afraid. The danger is often smaller than your fear.

ASCEND

Glad to see that this happen. The collection looks awesome too, they went the extra mile in a ton of ways I didn't expect. Seeing those backdrops on a big screen ought to be nice.

Danchat wrote:
By the way... does anyone know if the Scarlet Study has been working on the fan translation for the GAA2? I was wondering if they were nearing completion soon.

They released the first three episodes of DGS2. The last two were supposed to come out together in the last update. idk if they're still planning to finish that up now though

Shout-out to my Scarlet Study gamers though y'all did epic work
Vesti and Lauren's Interdimensional Investigations
This CYOA follows Vesti Gates and Lauren Tehra, two detectives who search for the truth, whether in their own dimension or otherwise.

What's a Court Records?

I'm honestly pretty curious about what names got changed. We know a handful of them were changed, and all of the main characters have their original or close to their original name. Judging from the trailer, I know that at least some of the side character names will be left alone.
Why am I even here?

YouTube Twitter Tumblr Steam Discord

Athena Internet Defense Force

Hooray! Does that mean Court-Records is finally going to pick itself up out of the gutter?!

Idol of Polar Bears

And to think that at one point I considered spoiling myself on as much as GAA content as I possibly could. :yogi:

So glad I never swallowed that pill!

So hyped for this! All the different gameplay mechanics look super interesting and while I did spoil myself on the story, I have now forgotten most of it so should still be going in mainly blind which is what I like. However, I don't get the point of the story mode. Maybe I've just misunderstood the trailer but it looks like it just plays the game for you. Why buy the game if you're not going to play it?
Wherever the mundane gives way to miracles, a word is whispered... Gramarye! I am like a deity, with the stage as my domain! It is a potent, primeval power I possess. Valant's skill is the real deal.

is a five star man.

Calypso_Gramarye wrote:
So hyped for this! All the different gameplay mechanics look super interesting and while I did spoil myself on the story, I have now forgotten most of it so should still be going in mainly blind which is what I like. However, I don't get the point of the story mode. Maybe I've just misunderstood the trailer but it looks like it just plays the game for you. Why buy the game if you're not going to play it?

It's not a mode I would be interested in, but I think the idea is for people who just want the story, and who want to regard the game as a visual novel rather than a puzzle game/point-and-click. Because AA doesn't really have like multiple routes or anything it could still work for sure. I remember 999 also had a version of the game released without puzzles on iOS, and that can be a good way of experiencing the story for people who don't enjoy the gameplay.

Toatali wrote:
Calypso_Gramarye wrote:

It's not a mode I would be interested in, but I think the idea is for people who just want the story, and who want to regard the game as a visual novel rather than a puzzle game/point-and-click. Because AA doesn't really have like multiple routes or anything it could still work for sure. I remember 999 also had a version of the game released without puzzles on iOS, and that can be a good way of experiencing the story for people who don't enjoy the gameplay.

In addition to that, since you can turn Story mode on or off at any time, it can also be used sporadically if you're really stuck somewhere. It's more convenient to ask the game to give you the answer, rather than having to look up a walkthrough on the web (and having to figure out where exactly you are in the walkthrough, risking spoiling yourself in the process...)

There can be other uses too, for example, if a player has already played through the game and wants to re-watch a certain part and needs to go past some puzzles to do so...

High level play

Jozerick wrote:
In addition to that, since you can turn Story mode on or off at any time, it can also be used sporadically if you're really stuck somewhere. It's more convenient to ask the game to give you the answer, rather than having to look up a walkthrough on the web (and having to figure out where exactly you are in the walkthrough, risking spoiling yourself in the process...)

There can be other uses too, for example, if a player has already played through the game and wants to re-watch a certain part and needs to go past some puzzles to do so...

That's a fair point. I can think of a few examples where a player could get stuck and this mode could be helpful. Think of a younger player with English as the second language or a game journalist trying to review te game.

Ok the last one was a joke. Personally I thought the addition of the red checkmark 'you've already inspected this' was enough to not get stuck anymore.

Therefore as long as its optional and considering it's a Visual Novel with puzzle elements I'm not bothered about it.
Face your emptiness don't be afraid. The danger is often smaller than your fear.

At last! Only recently found out that the delay in release was NOT because the game's so aggressively Japanese that it would shatter the illusion of Japanifornia (I love how that word is now well-established enough that my Macbook doesn't spell-check it), but because of licensing issues over a certain character who happens to be much more heavily copyrighted in the West than in Japan. The character Herlock Sholmes appears in an ancient Lupin novel which just recently entered public domain. There's a whole YouTube video about this that I cba to link but it's worth a look, tis a pretty interesting story.

I don't know how long the above information has been public knowledge because I've not looked into any detail of the game and all I knew prior to the trailer is that that it's about Phoenix's great great grandpappy and some spirit medium-looking girl and Sherlock Holmes, which sounded pretty cool but made me all the more reluctant to look deeper seeing as 1) I wasn't optimistic about it coming to the West so why torture myself and 2) If it did, I'd enjoy it best by enjoying how I enjoyed AA1 and SOJ - by knowing nothing about the plot beforehand. I stupidly spoiled JFA, T&T and AJ for myself by looking at the case descriptions on this very website (I dunno why, I was a dumb 13 year-old okay?) and I also prematurely found out who the final-case culprit was in DD although that one wasn't my fault. Having watched the trailer I know little else except the English courtroom looks a lot like that courtroom from the beginning of PLvsPW and has a similarly zany-looking jury to the courtroom from later on in the game. I have mixed feelings about this, since I was extremely disappointed and couldn't even be bothered to finish it. I didn't enjoy DD at all either, despite playing thru to the end in hopes it would get better. SOJ is my favourite from the 3DS gen by a long distance. The third case is god-awful but the final case is by far the highlight of anything the AA series has put out since the original trilogy. We'll see how this one measures up.

Gettin' Old!

dapz wrote:
At last! Only recently found out that the delay in release was NOT because the game's so aggressively Japanese that it would shatter the illusion of Japanifornia (I love how that word is now well-established enough that my Macbook doesn't spell-check it), but because of licensing issues over a certain character who happens to be much more heavily copyrighted in the West than in Japan. The character Herlock Sholmes appears in an ancient Lupin novel which just recently entered public domain. There's a whole YouTube video about this that I cba to link but it's worth a look, tis a pretty interesting story.

I don't know how long the above information has been public knowledge because I've not looked into any detail of the game and all I knew prior to the trailer is that that it's about Phoenix's great great grandpappy and some spirit medium-looking girl and Sherlock Holmes, which sounded pretty cool but made me all the more reluctant to look deeper seeing as 1) I wasn't optimistic about it coming to the West so why torture myself and 2) If it did, I'd enjoy it best by enjoying how I enjoyed AA1 and SOJ - by knowing nothing about the plot beforehand. I stupidly spoiled JFA, T&T and AJ for myself by looking at the case descriptions on this very website (I dunno why, I was a dumb 13 year-old okay?) and I also prematurely found out who the final-case culprit was in DD although that one wasn't my fault. Having watched the trailer I know little else except the English courtroom looks a lot like that courtroom from the beginning of PLvsPW and has a similarly zany-looking jury to the courtroom from later on in the game. I have mixed feelings about this, since I was extremely disappointed and couldn't even be bothered to finish it. I didn't enjoy DD at all either, despite playing thru to the end in hopes it would get better. SOJ is my favourite from the 3DS gen by a long distance. The third case is god-awful but the final case is by far the highlight of anything the AA series has put out since the original trilogy. We'll see how this one measures up.

I thought the Mob Trials were one of the best things in PWvsPL though yeah overall I think that game was far too easy. I'm hype to see how they are implemented in this game!
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

As a guy who recently entered the Ace Attorney series, I’m on Cloud Nine with this announcement. Loved the last two trilogies and I’m so excited to get this one. Hopefully I can hide a physical copy.

Knight of the Court

So I've been checking around and I'm starting to think this game will be digital-only outside of Japan and America, which is a shame. It also seems like the physical PS4 version will only release in Japan.

I really wanted to get the game physically to show Capcom there's a market for that (see: DD and SoJ being digital-only) and because the cover art is gorgeous, but I can't find any evidence of plans for a physical release in Europe and Australia (the official website only lists pre-orders for the digital version while the US lists retailers for physical). I contacted Nintendo Australia and they said "ask Capcom", so I did and they just said "keep checking Capcom Unity".

I know the Switch isn't region locked, but the "from the vaults" content might be awkward to get on an imported version.
Something something please localize DGS.

Gettin' Old!

BigKlingy wrote:
So I've been checking around and I'm starting to think this game will be digital-only outside of Japan and America, which is a shame. It also seems like the physical PS4 version will only release in Japan.

I really wanted to get the game physically to show Capcom there's a market for that (see: DD and SoJ being digital-only) and because the cover art is gorgeous, but I can't find any evidence of plans for a physical release in Europe and Australia (the official website only lists pre-orders for the digital version while the US lists retailers for physical). I contacted Nintendo Australia and they said "ask Capcom", so I did and they just said "keep checking Capcom Unity".

I know the Switch isn't region locked, but the "from the vaults" content might be awkward to get on an imported version.

Yeah that wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. Going the way of many indies and visual novel games of being digital only on the Switch. Practically the norm now.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

BigKlingy wrote:

:headbang: Not again...
My poor old Switch doesn't have that much room left...
Serve the Story - that's one of my rules.
--------------
That wasn't an objection, honest! I was just pointing someone to the bus stop!

High level play

BigKlingy wrote:

I would download this game on my mobile if that's what it takes. My attitude towards Ace Attorney is 'I'll take what I can get' at this point.

Gettin' Old!

beterbomen wrote:
BigKlingy wrote:

:headbang: Not again...
My poor old Switch doesn't have that much room left...

Hey if it's any consolation, I didn't find it EGREGIOUSLY more expensive importing the physical version from America than I'd expect to pay for a physical copy in a shop.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Page 1 of 1 [ 33 posts ] 

Board index » General » Trial Minutes