Board index » General » Trial Minutes

Page 12 of 15[ 561 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Re: Ace Attorney 6 live stage show at TGS - Apollo, demo fooTopic%20Title

I've felt worse.

Quote:
A decent, well-written main character doesn't need an 'attachment' to identify them with.

Look at Goku from Dragonball. His silhouette is already pretty tell-tale about him; spikey hair, training gi. If you put his cloud Nimbus next to him, you still know who it is, but ultimately makes no difference. The cloud is... it's an Anhängsel. It's there, but you can remove it just fine and still recognize Goku.

Or even L from Death Note. It might be more difficult to look at L's silhouette without in the iconic pose of him squatting, but you could still recognize him.

How is recognizable character design supposed to be tied to being well written?
"It's never too late to learn that growing old doesn't have to mean growing up. Stay curious, stay weird, stay kind, and don't let anyone ever tell you you aren't smart or brave or worthy enough." -Stanford Pines, Gravity Falls

sumguy28 wrote:
Quote:
A decent, well-written main character doesn't need an 'attachment' to identify them with.

Look at Goku from Dragonball. His silhouette is already pretty tell-tale about him; spikey hair, training gi. If you put his cloud Nimbus next to him, you still know who it is, but ultimately makes no difference. The cloud is... it's an Anhängsel. It's there, but you can remove it just fine and still recognize Goku.

Or even L from Death Note. It might be more difficult to look at L's silhouette without in the iconic pose of him squatting, but you could still recognize him.

Okay, that kind of went sideways, but it still stands. A main character should be able to be recognized and liked on their own. Not by the entourage they drag behind them the entire time. A lot of people don't like Miaka from Fushigi Yuugi - understandable, she's headstrong and gets into situations that she can't handle, but is overall a loyal friend and acts like a 15 year old would in these weird situations. There are the Suzaku Warriors that are around her a lot, but she still manages to be a decent character on her own. (I'm trying to make my main characters of my fanfiction manage to stand alone without 'needing' someone alongside to say, Oh yeah. That's the character)

C-A

sumguy28 wrote:

It doesn't. The silhouette test is just Character Design 101 and all Ace Attorney characters pass it with flying colors and spiky hair.

The relationships Phoenix has built over the series are all part of his character. There's a stark difference between him standing on his own and him being completely alone. That's what made AJ so depressing. Even if you cleared his name at the end, so what? Everyone he knew and cared about was gone. That's horrible.

nevertalk wrote:
That's what made AJ so depressing. Even if you cleared his name at the end, so what? Everyone he knew and cared about was gone. That's horrible.

Honestly, what do I care about those other people? I LIKED Phoenix in AJ. Finally, he was an openly snarky bastard. And had lost some of that damn annoying gullible world-view that bugged me in the first few games.

C-A

CatMuto wrote:
Honestly, what do I care about those other people?

I think that explains it all, really. They got in the way of Muto's precious headcanons.

whoknowscran wrote:
CatMuto wrote:
Honestly, what do I care about those other people?

I think that explains it all, really. They got in the way of Muto's precious headcanons.

My headcanon is practically real canon. Just look at all the sexual subtext between the men. Oh, baby. :will:

C-A

Are you afraid that Maya returning could inadvertently sink your Yaoi ships?

"In a world where Muto's imagined homoerotic subtext is under threat by the very franchise she headcanons..."

Call me James

whoknowscran wrote:

"In a world where Muto's imagined homoerotic subtext is under threat by the very franchise she headcanons..."

"She thought her headcanons were safe. But a new wind was about to blow..."

Or something :gymshoe:
http://i.neoseeker.com/mgv/9935-Akira_E ... 44a161.gif

"I love the thrill of a good solution!"

whoknowscran wrote:

Takumi already did that stating that his intent was to portray a strong, platonic friendship in some interview. That ship's at the bottom of the ocean and Maya has nothing to do with it.

But now we're way off topic. AA6 is gonna be cool and I hope we get new info soon. If they had the big event at TGS, hopefully that means they're going to have a steady trickle of updates on the website.

I also liked Phoenix most in AJ but that Phoenix was never bound to stick around so I just cherish what we got of him when we did.

I do wish Phoenix retained some of his unflappable cool from AJ. At the very least, DD should have been vastly more selective on when to use his shock animation. He's not a nervous rookie any more.

It was my understanding that Phoenix's attitude was always the same as it was in AJ, but the difference was the original trilogy localization subdued him a tad. Is that accurate or am I imagining things?
What I don't know much about is how it worked in Dual Destinies, if he was the same in Japanese as he was in English. However I'm immediately reminded of this image.

Great Revival

whoknowscran wrote:

Best image ever.

Racing through the sky like a Missile

whoknowscran wrote:
It was my understanding that Phoenix's attitude was always the same as it was in AJ, but the difference was the original trilogy localization subdued him a tad. Is that accurate or am I imagining things?
What I don't know much about is how it worked in Dual Destinies, if he was the same in Japanese as he was in English. However I'm immediately reminded of this image.

Well, if you've been following my blog, I think I mentioned something of the sort at one point. Yes, Phoenix was always that bit more snarky and streetwise (and selfish, as a matter of fact) than how the localization used to portray him. Then, starting from the 4th game on, the localization has been a bit more true to the original source. (Then, from the GK games and on, they even kept the same text scrolling speed...) As far as I know, same goes for GS5 -> DD.

As for that picture... well, Nick has never quite been portrayed as being so pissed before, so I can't say what these promo pictures mean. Still, based on the few screenshots I caught from Famitsu and the trailer, he's still the same old Nick... hanging around with little kids again. Bokto is 9, Leyfa is 14, and Nick is 35. They could be his kids...
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

Great Revival

Rubia Ryu the Royal wrote:
They could be his kids...

Is it bad that I'd almost kind of like that twist...?

Programmer

Rubia Ryu the Royal wrote:
Then, starting from the 4th game on, the localization has been a bit more true to the original source. (Then, from the GK games and on, they even kept the same text scrolling speed...) As far as I know, same goes for GS5 -> DD.

I thought they kept the same control codes in the original trilogy too. At least that's what the localization interview claimed.
Currently working on a redesign of cr.net itself! Come talk to me about it on Discord!

whoknowscran wrote:

No. Mostly cause EdgeyxPhoenix has been canon since they were in 4th Grade together - with the OT3P being with the Butz in there, too. Maya was never a threat in the first three games, so no reason to think she'd be one now.

Quote:
Takumi already did that stating that his intent was to portray a strong, platonic friendship in some interview.

Intent is nice and all, but creators need to realize that people will ship whatever they goddamn feel like shipping, regardless of intent. In my Fushigi Yuugi fanfiction, there is only one properly established canon pairing: Himeko and Eiyuu, the two have been married for a few years now. Asami and Kaede get no official love interest, though I do throw a tease in here and there. But I know that it doesn't matter what I say, people will ship Asami with whomever they want, they will probably even ship Himeko and Asami.

Quote:

Impossible. That would mean Phoenix would've had to have sex. And it's the same as Larry getting any - it's obvious an impossibility.

C-A

Great Revival

CatMuto wrote:
whoknowscran wrote:

No. Mostly cause EdgeyxPhoenix has been canon since they were in 4th Grade together - with the OT3P being with the Butz in there, too. Maya was never a threat in the first three games, so no reason to think she'd be one now.

Am I the only person who ships no one? :eh?:

CatMuto wrote:
Quote:

Impossible. That would mean Phoenix would've had to have sex. And it's the same as Larry getting any - it's obvious an impossibility.

C-A

Oh yes, what was I thinking? That would go against your shipping. JustkiddingpleasedontkillmeAfro.
Yeah, that's true, up until saying Larry gets none...
You're an evil, evil woman. :edgeworth:

CatMuto wrote:
No. Mostly cause EdgeyxPhoenix has been canon since they were in 4th Grade together

CatMuto wrote:
Intent is nice and all, but creators need to realize that people will ship whatever they goddamn feel like shipping, regardless of intent.

The denial is real, and oh boy is it showing. You're good for a laugh, CatMuto. I'll give you that much.

Oliver wrote:

Definitely not. But you know how inventive some people like to get, and how dedicated/attached they can get to their ideas. That in turn starts to become confirmation bias. A bit strange based on a franchise themed around finding the truth, for sure.
CatMuto seems to be a rather unfortunate extreme example.

nevertalk wrote:
That's what made AJ so depressing. Even if you cleared his name at the end, so what? Everyone he knew and cared about was gone. That's horrible.

I get strangely mad when I see this kind of stuff. Who exactly did he lose? Maya? Edgeworth? Obviously not. Maya sent him a whole stack of Steel Samurai DVDs when he went to the hospital, showing that they still keep in contact and very recently too. Someone on tumblr has proven that Edgeworth had played a role in Phoenix adopting Trucy and implementing the Jury System.

In fact, he gained. He got Trucy, Eldoon, - you can even say Kristoph. He had to be strong for Trucy, and frequenting Eldoon's store helps them to save money in terms of food for other stuff. His relationship with Kristoph is very passive-aggressive, but at the very least Kristoph helped him out in the first case at a minutes' notice. Plus they probably discuss law a lot at the club.

In his three years as an attorney, he had changed and gained the respect of many many people by simply not giving up and believing in them. If they decided to ditch Phoenix because he forged evidence, I don't know what to think of them.

What we see is Phoenix 7 years after his disbarment. 7 years is pretty long. 7 years can be enough for Phoenix to go into depression, snap out of depression, forming a plan to clear his name. The Phoenix that doesn't trust the current law system anymore. Who questions morality. Yes, we got 2-4 but it's different. Forgery is the bane of the courts. And he is no longer a lawyer. He can push the boundaries as far as he wants.

Okay, last point. He seemed pretty glad at the end of AJ, having finally cleared his name and decided to retake the bar exam. Everyone is happy, everyone is alive. He got a Apollo to make fun of. So what he lose? Nothing. He lost his badge and is now going to get it back. He lost Kristoph as a friend but who wants him back.

Call me a AJ fanboy but I really love it. Graphics is amazing, music amazing, best believable assistance, nicest prosecutor - everyone turned into a snarky. Love Sarcastic Phoenix Wright? Here is our newest product : Hobonick - Extra Snarky.

I totally signed up to rebut this. :scientific:
Feel free to reply.
Or not.
Thanks though!

Great Revival

whoknowscran wrote:
CatMuto wrote:
No. Mostly cause EdgeyxPhoenix has been canon since they were in 4th Grade together

CatMuto wrote:
Intent is nice and all, but creators need to realize that people will ship whatever they goddamn feel like shipping, regardless of intent.

The denial is real, and oh boy is it showing. You're good for a laugh, CatMuto. I'll give you that much.

if there is as much denial as you say... Is it over 8000?
whoknowscran wrote:
Oliver wrote:

Definitely not. But you know how inventive some people like to get, and how dedicated/attached they can get to their ideas. That in turn starts to become confirmation bias. A bit strange based on a franchise themed around finding the truth, for sure.

We must find the truth of what shipping is best! :yogi: *Oliver's corpse was found the next day, it's theorised someone killed him for mocking shippers*

Great Revival

Asursrus wrote:
nevertalk wrote:

I get strangely mad when I see this kind of stuff. Who exactly did he lose? Maya? Edgeworth? Obviously not. Maya sent him a whole stack of Steel Samurai DVDs when he went to the hospital, showing that they still keep in contact and very recently too. Someone on tumblr has proven that Edgeworth had played a role in Phoenix adopting Trucy and implementing the Jury System.

In fact, he gained. He got Trucy, Eldoon, - you can even say Kristoph. He had to be strong for Trucy, and frequenting Eldoon's store helps them to save money in terms of food for other stuff. His relationship with Kristoph is very passive-aggressive, but at the very least Kristoph helped him out in the first case at a minutes' notice. Plus they probably discuss law a lot at the club.

In his three years as an attorney, he had changed and gained the respect of many many people by simply not giving up and believing in them. If they decided to ditch Phoenix because he forged evidence, I don't know what to think of them.

What we see is Phoenix 7 years after his disbarment. 7 years is pretty long. 7 years can be enough for Phoenix to go into depression, snap out of depression, forming a plan to clear his name. The Phoenix that doesn't trust the current law system anymore. Who questions morality. Yes, we got 2-4 but it's different. Forgery is the bane of the courts. And he is no longer a lawyer. He can push the boundaries as far as he wants.

Okay, last point. He seemed pretty glad at the end of AJ, having finally cleared his name and decided to retake the bar exam. Everyone is happy, everyone is alive. He got a Apollo to make fun of. So what he lose? Nothing. He lost his badge and is now going to get it back. He lost Kristoph as a friend but who wants him back.

Call me a AJ fanboy but I really love it. Graphics is amazing, music amazing, best believable assistance, nicest prosecutor - everyone turned into a snarky. Love Sarcastic Phoenix Wright? Here is our newest product : Hobonick - Extra Snarky.

I totally signed up to rebut this. :scientific:

I agree with this completely, but just so you know, orange is sarcasm colour here.
Also, welcome! *insert bowing sprite I forgot to get from my Imgur here*

whoknowscran wrote:

You're a dolt. Talk to anyone - heck, go to TVTropes and just LOOK at Die For Our Ship or Shipping Goggles. Everyone doesn't care about canon pairings or whatever intent the creator had in ANY medium.
Takumi wants to portray a platonic, friendship-based relationship? Don't care, people will ship Phoenix with Maya, Pearl, Trucy, Apollo, Edgey, Larry, whoever the fuck they want. Sailor Moon's couples are UsagixMamoru and ChibiusaxHelios? Don't care! Usagi gets with all the girls and Seiya-in-male-form because Mamoru is a jerk to shippers' eyes.

Quote:
Someone on tumblr has proven that Edgeworth had played a role in Phoenix adopting Trucy and implementing the Jury System.

Oh? He helped him adopt Trucy? How so? (I mean, I can understand Phoenix not knowing how the adoption process goes...)

Quote:
and frequenting Eldoon's store helps them to save money in terms of food for other stuff.

I sympathize with his poor digestive tract...

Quote:
The Phoenix that doesn't trust the current law system anymore.

And then the Jury system up and disappears and Phoenix is (happily) back to being a lawyer in the law system he doesn't trust anymore... that just doesn't gel well.

Quote:
I agree with this completely, but just so you know, orange is sarcasm colour here.

Um, I'm pretty sure the orange was on purpose. And I thought the sarcasm color was appropriately used.

C-A

Great Revival

Really? Well, okay.

Oliver wrote:
We must find the truth of what shipping is best! :yogi: *Oliver's corpse was found the next day, it's theorised someone killed him for mocking shippers*

The concept of shipping itself isn't exactly mockable. Certainly nothing wrong with being creative with the source material. The mockable concept is someone turning around and insisting it must be canon because they themselves qualify it to be. Nothing is sillier. Granted, that's less shipping and just tripping up on the difference between a fact and an opinion.

Not that it matters much anyway. CatMuto only wants us to discuss her own opinions, a point she's rather insistently kept dragging this thread back into several times now, so we might as well ignore her and discuss AA6.

Leifa Padma Kurain has an entire mocapped routine shown in the footage. My developer intuition tells me that it thusly wouldn't be the only thing mocapped. Any ideas on what else could be/should be? I'm actually wondering if all their 3D "cutscenes" are mocapped, but it's hard to tell from the only other scene we've seen (where phoenix bursts into the courtroom). The 3DS resolution does not do anything justice (heh). Seriously Capcom do more PC ports.

Last edited by whoknowscran on Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Great Revival

By mocapped, what do you mean? :eh?:

Motion capture. You know, white dots on black suit recorded by cameras. With Leifa Padma it's pretty easy to tell from the slight jitty hand movement in some standing poses (that you wouldn't normally artificially animate).

Great Revival

Ah. I suppose some things I'd like "mocapped" are some objections, like the ones which solve a case. I still don't grasp the concept completely of mocapping so don't kill me if I'm thinking of the wrong thing.

Heh, that's hardly worth killing over. It's the act of recording someone's actual movement to make an animation look human, and also making the animation process easier for more complex scenes. In this instance, it looks like they had a professional dancer do Leifa Padma's routine.

Great Revival

Oooooooooooooooh. :sillytrucy:
I guess it would be nice to see some mocap breakdowns? I mean, could you imagine a real person doing those over the top actions?
It'd be worth it just to imagine that. :godot:

Quote:
Oh? He helped him adopt Trucy? How so? (I mean, I can understand Phoenix not knowing how the adoption process goes...)

Let's see, Edgeworth is well-off, influential and can vouch for Phoenix. I doubt Phoenix can convince a social worker he can take care of Trucy that easily.

Quote:
I sympathize with his poor digestive tract...

Well, not always. Plus food is cheap and they are poor. (If Gumshoe can survive on instant noodles, Phoenix probably can) (Trucy is as short as me... I'm fifteen too)

Quote:
And then the Jury system up and disappears and Phoenix is (happily) back to being a lawyer in the law system he doesn't trust anymore... that just doesn't gel well.

I haven't yet played DD. But it looks like they just threw everything but Apollo and Trucy's magical panties into the wind...
Feel free to reply.
Or not.
Thanks though!

Great Revival

Asursrus wrote:
I haven't yet played DD. But it looks like they just threw everything but Apollo and Trucy's magical panties into the wind...

What are you on about? They kept Klavier. *banned from forums for being scum*

I've felt worse.

CatMuto wrote:
No. Mostly cause EdgeyxPhoenix has been canon since they were in 4th Grade together - with the OT3P being with the Butz in there, too

CatMuto wrote:
Everyone doesn't care about canon pairings or whatever intent the creator had in ANY medium.

Ya dolt.
whoknowscran wrote:
Motion capture. You know, white dots on black suit recorded by cameras. With Leifa Padma it's pretty easy to tell from the slight jitty hand movement in some standing poses (that you wouldn't normally artificially animate).

I don't mind mocap in games like Uncharted where they're trying to portray semi-realisitic graphics, but I always find it odd when it's used for games with a stylized look. Look at the Tales of Symphonia spin-off's mocap cutscenes, they look creepy as shit.
"It's never too late to learn that growing old doesn't have to mean growing up. Stay curious, stay weird, stay kind, and don't let anyone ever tell you you aren't smart or brave or worthy enough." -Stanford Pines, Gravity Falls

Great Revival

Are you suggesting a lot of things in Ace Attorney aren't already creepy as shit?

Quote:
The mockable concept is someone turning around and insisting it must be canon because they themselves qualify it to be.

Please, allow me to deeply apologize for having forgotten to dye my post in an orange color. :ron:

Quote:
I mean, could you imagine a real person doing those over the top actions?

I'd love to see the realistic twitchings of someone hit by lightning like Gant.

Quote:
Let's see, Edgeworth is well-off, influential and can vouch for Phoenix. I doubt Phoenix can convince a social worker he can take care of Trucy that easily.

In such a case, I'd be more wondering why Edgeworth isn't adopting Trucy. As you say, Edgeworth is well-off, so he has beyond the monetary capability of taking care of a growing child. Contrary to Phoenix, who sounds like he never gets paid for his work, or gets paid so little it isn't worth it, and now lost his job. And I don't care how influental Edgey is, I doubt he could make a social worker look at Phoenix, jobless, with no other skill or job-prospect to bring in money to raise a child and think it's a good choice to leave the kid there.

Yeah, Edgey has the problem of not being in Japanifornia a whole lot, so that would count against him, but... it would still come across as better than jobless Phoenix.

Quote:

Which is sad. I've said it repeatedly, they COULD keep the Jury system in and make it a gameplay mechanic. And they could even make an interesting story about it, too! But no, we need to go back to the stupid, brainless antics we've had the previous four games.

Quote:
Ya dolt.

I repeat. I forgot to dye the text.

Quote:
Look at the Tales of Symphonia spin-off's mocap cutscenes, they look creepy as shit.

...I don't remember them. I have repressed them. Now, X and X-2 had nice motion capture, though I admit. Looking at the regular ending for X-2, the way Yuna runs towards Tidus is nice, but then she has this weird stopping before smacking into him, which makes the resulting hug look VERY... unhappy or romantic. Like, she's not as happy about having him back as you'd think.

Quote:
Are you suggesting a lot of things in Ace Attorney aren't already creepy as shit?

AA things aren't creepy. They're just... dumb.

C-A

Great Revival

CatMuto wrote:
Quote:
I mean, could you imagine a real person doing those over the top actions?

I'd love to see the realistic twitchings of someone hit by lightning like Gant.

1. That's a shock sprite, not a breakdown.
2. Now I want it even more. :edgey:

Oliver wrote:
I guess it would be nice to see some mocap breakdowns? I mean, could you imagine a real person doing those over the top actions?

Hmm, you know I kind of like that one. The breakdowns certainly do mark their point being cartoonish in nature, and being over the top is certainly what keeps them fresh. However AA1 had some of the most "normal" ones (points go to Dee Vasquez for simple yet effective), and it makes me wonder if you could make a breakdown powerful and memorable by making it realistically subtle, so to speak.
You'd only ever be able to do it once (you'd only get so much variety out of it), but it's the perfect chance to do it if you can mocap it.

Great Revival

whoknowscran wrote:
Oliver wrote:

Hmm, you know I kind of like that one. The breakdowns certainly do mark their point being cartoonish in nature, and being over the top is certainly what keeps them fresh. However AA1 had some of the most "normal" ones (points go to Dee Vasquez for simple yet effective), and it makes me wonder if you could make a breakdown powerful and memorable by making it realistically subtle, so to speak.
You'd only ever be able to do it once (you'd only get so much variety out of it), but it's the perfect chance to do it if you can mocap it.

With Vasquez I thought it was a second shocked sprite... But then again, I'm dumb.
I doubt it could be any less than over the top knowing what this game in particular deals with.

Quote:
In such a case, I'd be more wondering why Edgeworth isn't adopting Trucy.

Edgeworth adopts Trucy then dumps her on Phoenix.

Nah, I got nothing.
Feel free to reply.
Or not.
Thanks though!

Great Revival

Asursrus wrote:
Quote:
In such a case, I'd be more wondering why Edgeworth isn't adopting Trucy.

Edgeworth adopts Trucy then dumps her on Phoenix.

Nah, I got nothing.

There's only one reason for it...
He's too Edgey for that.
I'm so sorry for that pun... :payne:
Page 12 of 15 [ 561 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Board index » General » Trial Minutes