Board index » General » Trial Minutes

Page 1 of 3[ 101 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

TGS LiveStream: Court/Investigation FootageTopic%20Title

Deputy of Self-Esteem

http://youtu.be/em4bulXgs4Q

I apologize about the shoddy recording. Earlier today there was a LiveStream at TGS. I'm not sure who's talking or what they're saying, but the important part is that we get to see some gameplay that isn't a trailer, and investigation phase.

Unfortunately, my computer got hijacked to do some InDesign work to the end, so it ends unceremoniously there. Sorry.
Bump - bump - bump - bump - bump - bump - bump
Re: TGS LiveStream: Court/Investigation FootageTopic%20Title

Doing the drywall at the new McDonalds

Thanks, Wooster!

This is awesome! The investigation phase is reminding me of all of my old favorite point-and-click games. And the courtroom camera pans [especially that ominous one during the "TESTIMONY" text] are so immersive. Add to that the fact that we'll get some real cutscenes...

I've waited 5 years for this game, and it doesn't look like its going to disappoint.
I used to have Sam Waterston as my avatar but photobucket added a watermark and also Law & Order has been cancelled for 10 years so it's time for me to move on.

Fate Testarossa

Wow, this looks pretty awesome. I really like the investigation with the rotating room aspect.

Fate is made by クロス

The miracle finally happen...

Very nice.

I noticed the evidence at 0:29 looks exactly like the red elephant's tail ( 1:40 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtEWAK_Y ... _embedded#!)

ADA McCoy wrote:
And the courtroom camera pans [especially that ominous one during the "TESTIMONY" text] are so immersive. Add to that the fact that we'll get some real cutscenes...

Aha, so I was semi-right at least. We can investigate in 3D enviroment, but we can't freely move the camera. Up until now I love everything I learn about this game.

Thanks for the vid!
I'm glad we got to see some of the investigation gameplay. It's nice to see the way the 3d will effect the actual gameplay instead of just the way things look!

Lusankya wrote:
ADA McCoy wrote:
And the courtroom camera pans [especially that ominous one during the "TESTIMONY" text] are so immersive. Add to that the fact that we'll get some real cutscenes...

Aha, so I was semi-right at least. We can investigate in 3D enviroment, but we can't freely move the camera. Up until now I love everything I learn about this game.

I can see you're frustration there, but personally it's fine with me. I find the "360 degree look/walk" can ruin the immersiveness of a game like this. In an action based game its unnecessary, but for a plot or puzzle based game it can make the player just keep thinking about the game aspect.

For example, Riven is one of the most immersive games ever made. You turn the lights off, crank up the sound, and you forget you're even playing a game. They have pre-rendered frames that looked perfect and didn't require you to do much moving of the mouse. Your eyes move and look at things (like in the real world) but the frame doesn't.

Myst III Exile, it's sequel, implemented 360 degree panning, and often instead of thinking about the world you'd be thinking about the camera's position and moving it so you could see what you wanted to. This, to me, is why games with pre-rendered images or are totally plot focused should have limited movement. I'm playing Hotel Dusk right now and the real-time walking is seriously getting in the way of it being a perfect game.
I used to have Sam Waterston as my avatar but photobucket added a watermark and also Law & Order has been cancelled for 10 years so it's time for me to move on.

ADA McCoy wrote:
Lusankya wrote:
ADA McCoy wrote:

I can see you're frustration there, but personally it's fine with me. I find the "360 degree look/walk" can ruin the immersiveness of a game like this. In an action based game its unnecessary, but for a plot or puzzle based game it can make the player just keep thinking about the game aspect.

But... but... I am not frustrated. I love AA5 and its look. :sadshoe:
I really like how the images still give me the feeling I would look at 2D hand drawn images. It's just so beautiful.

Lusankya wrote:
But... but... I am not frustrated. I love AA5 and its look. :sadshoe:
I really like how the images still give me the feeling I would look at 2D hand drawn images. It's just so beautiful.

Oh I thought "Up until now I love everything..." meant you had some dissatisfaction with the non-real-time/camera panning investigation. Sorry about that.

ADA McCoy wrote:
Oh I thought "Up until now I love everything..." meant you had some dissatisfaction with the non-real-time/camera panning investigation. Sorry about that.

Ah, no, with "up until now" I meant including the footage seen in the video. Is "up until now" just generally ambiguous or did I use a wrong expression?

Neat gameplay. The investigation phase looks cool.

...Is it just me or did they revert Phoenix back to his old personality in GS1-3?

Lusankya wrote:
ADA McCoy wrote:

Ah, no, with "up until now" I meant including the footage seen in the video. Is "up until now" just generally ambiguous or did I use a wrong expression?

I think you used the wrong expression for what you wanted to express. "Up until now" implies that you've loved everything up until this moment, but you've found something that you're disappointed now. Up until now implies that something has changed in this moment. Maybe what you wanted to say was "I've loved everything so far-"

Thinking about ones own language suddenly makes it seem weird :-P

Racing through the sky like a Missile

Busting down the door... that fist-clap... the excitement to investigate... and that awkward hair style.

She's the most exemplary mix of Akita Neru from Vocaloid and Emmy Altava from Prof Layton that I've ever seen. My suspicions have been confirmed.

Thanks, Wooster! It's great that you actually caught some footage.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

Blah!

Wow... looks really awesome...

I do notice something though: idle animations for neutral talking are just blinking (unless they have a nervous habit, like Payne), just like in previous games. I wonder if that's the intended style or if they plan to add more to idle animations when polishing the game later. That is, give them a bit of movement.

blahmoomoo wrote:

I do notice something though: idle animations for neutral talking are just blinking (unless they have a nervous habit, like Payne), just like in previous games. I wonder if that's the intended style or if they plan to add more to idle animations when polishing the game later. That is, give them a bit of movement.

I noticed that too. I personally like it. nothing shouts "YOU"RE PLAYING A VIDEO GAME" like swaying idle character movements. I personally like the effect, as it makes it a really smooth transition from sprites to this.

GS5, biatches!

The strange goggle guy's name is Barashima Shingo (馬等島 晋吾). It's probable a pun on the japanese word for Machine Language (マシン語 Mashingo, seeing as he can only speak by typing on that keyboard.

By the way, nice to meet everyone (Long-time lurker, first time poster :shoe: )

Shut up, Hitler

Beautiful_Blue wrote:
Lusankya wrote:
ADA McCoy wrote:
Thinking about ones own language suddenly makes it seem weird :-P

Tell me about it - I'm studying English Linguistics myself; every day my mind is blown as I learn something new about our language that you'd never even think about otherwise.

Love the cinematic panning of the courtroom, I really am surprised at the leap in presentation from Apollo Justice to this. I always thought of the Ace Attorney games as kind of... low budget, but it seems they were just restricted by technology. 3D models, an orchestral soundtrack, animation from a top company - they're going all out.

Hope the writing's good enough to match the rest.

Deputy of Self-Esteem

RuleroftheSkies wrote:
The strange goggle guy's name is Barashima Shingo (馬等島 晋吾). It's probable a pun on the japanese word for Machine Language (マシン語 Mashingo, seeing as he can only speak by typing on that keyboard.

:redd: Welcome to CR! I'm Wooster, long-time staff here, and slightly longer-time thorn in Croik's side. =P

Hmm, "he can only speak by typing on that keyboard"… This polarizes my Winston Payne theory. On the one hand, pretending he can't speak is a great way to hide that shrilly Objection voice and prolong the show. (I mean, once you hear that voice you know it's Payne) On the other hand, in the event it's true, well… I don't have a leg to stand on.
Bump - bump - bump - bump - bump - bump - bump

Blah!

ADA McCoy wrote:
blahmoomoo wrote:

I noticed that too. I personally like it. nothing shouts "YOU"RE PLAYING A VIDEO GAME" like swaying idle character movements. I personally like the effect, as it makes it a really smooth transition from sprites to this.

Yeah, honestly I don't know what would look better: as is (frozen in place), or some small movement. Right now, frozen in place looks a bit unnatural to me, since it's 3D models and all.

Looking at the latest PL vs. AA trailer, the characters do move slightly after talking, and it looks fine to me. Something like that should be ok...

Quote:
seeing as he can only speak by typing on that keyboard.

WHY can he only speak through it, though. Was is it an illness or is he trying to hide his identity? Mix this with the fact that he hates defense attorneys and we get a possible Payne. Perhaps it's Winston or his younger brother's twin?

nuuuuu, stoooooop

Haha, as soon as Shingo shows up one of the presenters shouts "IT'S THE KILLER!" and everyone tells him to stop. I'm starting to wonder if maybe this guy is responsible for the bomb, but whatever dead body they found in the aftermath was killed before hand/by someone else, making the bomb the coverup.
ImageImage

GS5, biatches!

Wooster wrote:
RuleroftheSkies wrote:

:redd: Welcome to CR! I'm Wooster, long-time staff here, and slightly longer-time thorn in Croik's side. =P

Hmm, "he can only speak by typing on that keyboard"… This polarizes my Winston Payne theory. On the one hand, pretending he can't speak is a great way to hide that shrilly Objection voice and prolong the show. (I mean, once you hear that voice you know it's Payne) On the other hand, in the event it's true, well… I don't have a leg to stand on.

Nice to meet you too Wooster! :edgy:
Your theory actually makes sense (too much, actually), you can see a certain similarity between Barashima and Payne, and then there's his alleged grudge against defense attorneys.

I think this is how it goes: Payne goes crazy after losing too many cases, and decides to blow up the courtroom. In order to get off the hook, he disguises himself as Barashima, frames Shinobu for some reason and asks his brother to help him frame her :yogi:

Reimitsurugi wrote:
Quote:
seeing as he can only speak by typing on that keyboard.

WHY can he only speak through it, though. Was is it an illness or is he trying to hide his identity? Mix this with the fact that he hates defense attorneys and we get a possible Payne. Perhaps it's Winston or his younger brother's twin?

I couldn't really read it very well, but Payne's bro says something related to the explosion incident when the judge asks about Barashima's gadget. Maybe he got caught up in the explosion, and damaged his throat/vocal cords? :yogi:

I wish I WERE the best.

The only way to know if Barashima is really Payne is if we know his age. Barashima doesn't look too old enough to be over 50 years old and if he's a member of the police, I really doubt he would lie about his age.

I'm pretty sure Barashima is lying about only being able to talk through the machine.
After Phoenix says Barashima's motive is that he hates defense attorneys in the trailer, Barashima gets mad and starts yelling normally...without the machine.
It is just a trailer, but there would be no point in making those animations of him yelling just for the trailer.
So those animations will be used in the game...meaning he is lying, and can talk normally.

元・超会社員級の管理人

Croik wrote:
Haha, as soon as Shingo shows up one of the presenters shouts "IT'S THE KILLER!" and everyone tells him to stop. I'm starting to wonder if maybe this guy is responsible for the bomb, but whatever dead body they found in the aftermath was killed before hand/by someone else, making the bomb the coverup.

Yeah, I laughed when that happened. Interesting theory about the bombing, too.
Hi! I've largely stepped back from C-R due to life stuff. Please contact one of the other staff members for help!

Wooster wrote:
If there was such a thing as the "Wooster Seal of Approval", this post would get it.

I wish I WERE the best.

Speaking of which, what is that metal box Barashima is holding during his damage and angry animations? I think I saw some of the red wires being in his mouth or something...

The Law 'Shark'

Looks like a bomb gag-prop to me...
~Beware of the Shark - He'll bite!~

Monkey with a gun

Bolt Storm wrote:
Croik wrote:

Yeah, I laughed when that happened. Interesting theory about the bombing, too.

This right here is the main key, were not sure if anyone actually died, if so its definitly a Defense Attorney by the way the cop talks, but we have gone so far in Ace Attorney to just let the first case be so easy, there just HAS to be some tricks and good plot twists behind this.

Gettin' Old!

Ah man the 3D looks even better than I thought.

Seeing Kokone's transitions from pose to pose in the investigation scene just looked so slick it's going to be wonderful.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

The Ace Attorney's Magical Daughter

Thanks for the footage!
It looks neat so far and the dialouge definitely feels like something from GS1-4 so far, especially when Payne2.0 goes all "And the bomb was placed... in the plush animal of the Defendant." and Nick has a shock moment. I also love Kokone, she's much more active in the trial than Maya or even Trucy (and definitely more active than Kay ever was), making her more of a partner than just tag-along comic-relief, though, the one portrayal so far that really bugs me... is Nick himself.

Because just as I expected, he seems to have deevolved. In fact, he seems even more insecure than he was in T&T now, since he relies on Kokone way too much. In the first 20 seconds of the video, we get this gem of dialouge:

Kokone: "W-What are you doing, Nick?!"
Phoenix: "Well, yeah, what... I'm just doing what you told me to do, like, 10 minutes ago?!"
Kokone: "Oh, so now it's my fault, heh?!"

They feel more like a duo this way, which is great (definitely much better than Kay's tagged-on role in AAI and GK2), but it feels kinda "fake" when we know that Nick isn't that reliant on help anymore. Mia said so herself!

Then again, I guess they *could* argue that the incident with the diary page traumatized him so hard, he doesn't dare to present evidence anymore without anyone verifying for him that it's not a stupid idea beforehand (They could even argue that this was part of the reason he needed Apollo in 4-1. He couldn't have defended himself (even though it's legally possible) because he knew he'd not have the emotional power to pull standing in court again by himself with maybe only - god forbid - Kristoph by his side off without breaking down). Or maybe all the years of having Trucy assist him in every poker match made him dependant on assistance again too... :minuki: Or maybe even both.

I mean, it wouldn't be the first time in the series a lawyer is behaving awkwardly in court due to a trauma with a prior case: Mia had a simmilar problem due to 3-4 and only the chance of taking revenge on Dahlia really made her snap out of it. They could totally go for something simmilar with Nick. That would explain why in 4-4 he was still all "Nope, not gonna return to court, sorry." :hobohodo:

Though, even if that angle could be played right (And could be REALLY interesting if used correctly), I kinda doubt Yamazaki really has the skills to pull this off and explain it well enough. So far, it looks more like they're just plainly ignoring anything after 3-5 ever happened to Nick or his personality. :yuusaku: I don't really like that...

...Because I felt the need to advertise my fanfic with a self-drawn, animated banner. Yes, I'm obsessed, why do you ask?

Last edited by Neni on Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gettin' Old!

Quote:
maybe all the years of having Trucy assist him in every poker match made him dependant on assistance again too... :minuki: Or maybe even both.

He only had Trucy along for big high stakes games, not every game, he learned how to read people fine from her. Played Zak one on one after all.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Pierre wrote:
Quote:
maybe all the years of having Trucy assist him in every poker match made him dependant on assistance again too... :minuki: Or maybe even both.

He only had Trucy along for big high stakes games, not every game, he learned how to read people fine from her. Played Zak one on one after all.

You're right, though, I guess a murder trial *is* a big game, huh? :garyuu:

No, seriously, I think it's just Kokone's physical resemblance to Trucy, as well as the fact that both assist Nick and both read people's emotions that caught my interest there. If they are clever, they could totally have Nick feel conflicted over having a girl like that stand next in court to him, since he might end up projecting his daughter onto her in some way... Nick's a pretty emotional person, after all.

Seriously, there is so much that could be done with Kokone and Nick's dynamics theoretically... I just kinda doubt that it *will* be done, because I have almost no faith into Yamazaki as a writer. :payne:

...Because I felt the need to advertise my fanfic with a self-drawn, animated banner. Yes, I'm obsessed, why do you ask?

Completely agree with Neni. I was referring to that little expert, actually.

Even if Phoenix is traumatized by his last case, that doesn't explain why he was so laid-back in court a year ago (spoon-feeding Apollo) and now is suddenly freaking out over every little thing and has to be spoon-fed by Kokone. Not only does it feel like they're ignoring GS4, but 3-5. Phoenix was finally accepted as an accomplished lawyer, but aside from his polished design, it seems that this game is ignoring that.

I wish Capcom waited for Takumi to finish PW VS L, so they could have him on board for GS5.

Neni wrote:
Though, even if that angle could be played right (And could be REALLY interesting if used correctly), I kinda doubt Yamazaki really has the skills to pull this off and explain it well enough. So far, it looks more like they're just plainly ignoring anything after 3-5 ever happened to Nick or his personality. :yuusaku: I don't really like that...

To be honest I trust Yamazaki more than Takumi. Yamazaki was responsible for AAI 1 and 2, which I enjoyed much more than AJ (I still like AJ though). And I won't judge Phoenix' behaviour before I played the full game myself anyway.

Lusankya wrote:
Neni wrote:

To be honest I trust Yamazaki more than Takumi. Yamazaki was responsible for AAI 1 and 2, which I enjoyed much more than AJ (I still like AJ though). And I won't judge Phoenix' behaviour before I played the full game myself anyway.

AJ had tons of plotholes, but that wasn't Takumi's fault. He was vetoed by the executives in at least 2 matters while he was writting the script, so he had to do several rewrites without getting more time. No wonder the end-result was full of inconsistencies. That's really not the fault of Takumi, that's the fault of the Capcom executives that forced him to include Nick and Jury-Propaganda. :sadshoe:

(I would really love to see what Takumi's original draft for AJ looked like, by the way...)

RD

just want to say....hmm.....
great! great! great!

~just passing through the path of truth~

Missile

At about 6:15 in the vid, he says:
これ、ま〜、あの〜、東京ゲームショー専用で、ショートストーリーを作った。

(This footage is a short story demo made SPECIFICALLY for TGS)
In other words, that part of the footage probably won't be in the final game. It's just for showing off the new 3D investigation mechanics.

Don't be confused though, I'm pretty sure the courtroom bit is gonna be in the final game.

They don't :c

Location: http://www.ezilon.com/maps/images/southamerica/political-map-of-Argentina.gif

The investigation scenes are DEFINITELY in a 999-style 3D environment: 2D movement with 3D transitions and objects, but static positions when it matters.

I also already really like Kokone. More than Kay, even. Her "Matta!" is kinda cute, if that's possible :S

Dice-Off (Coming Summer 2013...)

Related to AA5:

Anyone spot this from Brelston's twitter?

Spoiler:

irishmarcoos wrote:
Related to AA5:

Anyone spot this from Brelston's twitter?

Spoiler:

I want it.

Neni wrote:
AJ had tons of plotholes, but that wasn't Takumi's fault. He was vetoed by the executives in at least 2 matters while he was writting the script, so he had to do several rewrites without getting more time. No wonder the end-result was full of inconsistencies. That's really not the fault of Takumi, that's the fault of the Capcom executives that forced him to include Nick and Jury-Propaganda. :sadshoe:

So was this the 'Phoenix and Juries' conditions, or even more rewrites in addition?
LOL parody sig trend. Phoenix/Maya Day is Sept 5!
[ Read my fanfics! =) | Phoenix/Maya 'Evidence' List ]
Page 1 of 3 [ 101 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Board index » General » Trial Minutes