Board index » General » Trial Minutes

Page 1 of 1[ 40 posts ]

Professor Layton vs. Gyakuten Saiban - Out in JapanTopic%20Title

元・超会社員級の管理人

A little over two years ago, Level-5 held their annual games conference, Level-5 Vision. In the weeks leading up to it there'd been rumors and murmurs of something Ace Attorney in the works there, but nobody could say for certain. Were Capcom outsourcing the series? Was it a merchandising collaboration? Perhaps a new social game?

The answer was far beyond our wildest dreams. On October 19th, 2010, Level-5 and Capcom announced Professor Layton vs. Gyakuten Saiban. And it was beautiful.

What followed was a year of almost total radio silence before the game resurfaced at TGS 2011, and brought with it our first look at Phoenix in 3D. Some hailed the move; others doubted it. But one thing was for sure: the game couldn't get here fast enough.

...Which made the next year of almost total radio silence that much worse. It wasn't until TGS 2012 - just this past September - that we got another real look at the game in the form of a gorgeous new trailer. In the months since then we've been treated to a slow trickle of info that's brought us into the mystical world of Labyrinth City piece by piece. There's still plenty of puzzles we don't know the answer to - could Mahoney really be a witch? Can the Storyteller really rewrite reality? Is Jordolla really all she seems? Why did one of the Gavins' cousins dye his hair red and become a knight?

For those of us who can't speak Japanese, unfortunately, the answers to these mysteries will have to wait a little longer. We still don't have absolute official confirmation of a Western release, but with the consistent release of Professor Layton games and Capcom's commitment to bring Ace Attorney 5 overseas, the future looks bright.

We here at Court-Records will do our best to keep you updated with info about the game as we play through it (heavily marked with spoiler warnings, of course). In the meantime, the time-honored topic traditions of a new title are being observed once again; if you've got a burning question, check out the perennial "I just want to know one thing" thread, while those of you who can play the game or want some more general impressions can take a gander at the discussion thread; incidentally, while the 3DS doesn't let you capture direct feed screenshots, I'll be providing at least a few camera shots for the really interesting stuff as I go along.

Put on your top hats and dust off your attorney's badges, ladies and gentlemen. A very, very special court is in session.

EDIT: There's not much up yet, but as we get through the game the updates are going to trickle into this temporary page until we can finagle something more CR-like.
Hi! I've largely stepped back from C-R due to life stuff. Please contact one of the other staff members for help!

Wooster wrote:
If there was such a thing as the "Wooster Seal of Approval", this post would get it.
Re: Professor Layton vs. Gyakuten Saiban - Out in JapanTopic%20Title

When this comes out in England, I will be stood outside GAME before it even opens! This will be the first time I've ever bought a game on its release date, but I will! I can't afford a cosplay outfit, so I'll just have to find a blue suit and a top hat.

What am I Prosecuting fooooooor!?

I should be getting my copy tomorrow... of course, I can't read a lick of Japanese, so playing will be a challenge... Still, pretty pictures to look at!

SilentBobX wrote:
I should be getting my copy tomorrow... of course, I can't read a lick of Japanese, so playing will be a challenge... Still, pretty pictures to look at!

I hope that you own a Japanese 3DS since the system is region locked. Either way, I don't own a 3DS so I can't play this game even if it comes out in North America. I'm jelly. :edgy:

迷探偵

My copy (with CD \O/) should be delivered in the afternoon. And I definitely see myself skipping classes and other activities tomorrow ^_^'
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

Last edited by サンドラ on Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

TopHatProfessor1014 wrote:
I hope that you own a Japanese 3DS since the system is region locked. Either way, I don't own a 3DS so I can't play this game even if it comes out in North America. I'm jelly. :edgy:

Yeah, I made sure to buy one of those too. Kinda lame they region locked the 3Ds games.

I also have a Japanese 3DS (and yes, I know enough Japanese). I was going to order an import today when I realized that there's a web download option for this game. Does anybody here have experience using and paying for this feature from outside of Japan? I'm in the US now. I'd really appreciate any advice, even if that advice is to just import!

nuuuuu, stoooooop

Got my copy this evening!

I'll probably be playing through at a relatively slow pace, since I'll be taking notes as I go (and I have a bathroom floor to tile, heh), but expect updates to the site this weekend!
ImageImage

Monkey with a gun

Man, seeing that very first trailer and now, DAMN the storyteller changed

What did he do this time...?

Hotdiddykong wrote:

You're right about that, they changed his hair color from yellow to gray and made him much more evil-looking. I think he's pretty intimidating.
And what about the defendants getting thrown into the pit of fire when you get a guilty sentence? (from the launch trailer)
That thing looks like it came straight out of the temple of doom.
Want to play my custom-made Ace Attorney case made on Ace Attorney Online? (you must be using Firefox to run it)
Turnabout Destiny

They don't :c

Location: http://www.ezilon.com/maps/images/southamerica/political-map-of-Argentina.gif

Hotdiddykong wrote:

It's amazing how much has changed in 2 years.

I'm also pretty sure that trailer was animated in-house by Level-5 like the cutscenes from Layton games. I've got to admit, I like Level-5's Nick much more than Bones'... it feels like L-5 captured him better.

In any case, I love every single thing about this game so it's not like any of it is bad, it's just... I dunno, I don't care, I'm listening to a rip of the promo CD that came with the game so my brain is now officially off.

kogarou wrote:
I also have a Japanese 3DS (and yes, I know enough Japanese). I was going to order an import today when I realized that there's a web download option for this game. Does anybody here have experience using and paying for this feature from outside of Japan? I'm in the US now. I'd really appreciate any advice, even if that advice is to just import!

By web download, do you mean you've found a ROM of the game? Please explain.

They don't :c

Location: http://www.ezilon.com/maps/images/southamerica/political-map-of-Argentina.gif

TopHatProfessor1014 wrote:
kogarou wrote:

By web download, do you mean you've found a ROM of the game? Please explain.

Japanese 3DS owners can download the game from the eShop.

元・超会社員級の管理人

kogarou wrote:

I'm also in the US and used the download version. There's not really any issue with it, it runs just fine. Took about 35, 40 minutes to download, and takes up about a gigabyte on the SD card. I was able to pay via my debit card.

You might be able to get the physical version a little cheaper without shipping, but otherwise now that (I'm guessing) the first-run CD/filmstrip bonus is over I'm not sure there's much reason to physically import unless you want a physical cartridge (which given Nintendo's history with downloadable software, might not the world's worst idea).
Hi! I've largely stepped back from C-R due to life stuff. Please contact one of the other staff members for help!

Wooster wrote:
If there was such a thing as the "Wooster Seal of Approval", this post would get it.

Bolt Storm wrote:
kogarou wrote:

I'm also in the US and used the download version. There's not really any issue with it, it runs just fine. Took about 35, 40 minutes to download, and takes up about a gigabyte on the SD card. I was able to pay via my debit card.

You might be able to get the physical version a little cheaper without shipping, but otherwise now that (I'm guessing) the first-run CD/filmstrip bonus is over I'm not sure there's much reason to physically import unless you want a physical cartridge (which given Nintendo's history with downloadable software, might not the world's worst idea).

Thanks, that's just what I needed to know! I decided to download the game and it's now happily sitting on my 3DS! :acro: Can't wait to start it later today. The menu screen music is epic.

If anyone else tries and keeps getting an error in the middle of downloading, check the present icon on your main menu to see if the percentage still went up. For me the error was just that my connection got interrupted and I needed to continue the download in the shop a few times.

クリアした~

My film.

Spoiler:

日本在住の日本人。
I'm Japanese and I live in Japan. English is difficult for me.

Deputy of Self-Esteem

Sweet! You can see Phoenix moving frame by frame. I thought for some dumb reason that the strips were all a single frame repeated.
Bump - bump - bump - bump - bump - bump - bump

迷探偵

JapaneseGIRL wrote:
クリアした~

My film.

Spoiler:

あれ、どうやってそんなにキレイに撮ったの?
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

Ash wrote:
JapaneseGIRL wrote:
クリアした~

My film.

Spoiler:

あれ、どうやってそんなにキレイに撮ったの?

カメラじゃなくて、スキャナ使ったよ。
日本在住の日本人。
I'm Japanese and I live in Japan. English is difficult for me.

迷探偵

なるほど。

ボクのはキョウジュと真宵ちゃん(ゲーム後半)のフィルムだけど、なるほど君のがほしかったなー

1000% Knight

ええっ!

そのフィルムは何か特別なバージョンと共に来たの?それても、普通のバージョンと来たの?

(本当の聞きたいことは、僕のPlay-Asiaで買ったのゲームはフィルムと来るだろうか?って)
(・・・・・・・・・このポストの文法は正しいかな・・・)

EDIT: PLvAAのサイトを調べて、答えを見つけた。早期購入特典だね・・・Play-Asiaから早期購入したから、もらうかな・・・
(待つしかないね Dx)
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

I guess we're sharing strips. (Woo!) Here's the one I got:
Spoiler:

1000% Knight

SBX, did you order your copy from Play-Asia?

Bad Player wrote:
SBX, did you order your copy from Play-Asia?

Yes I did. I was quite surprised that it came so fast to my home. Right on the 29th.

1000% Knight

Okay... That gives me hope ^_^

EDIT: Apparently, my Animal Crossing package weighed 0.13kg, and my PLvAA package weighed 0.20kg... *even more hope :3*

Post for removal.

1000% Knight

Got my copy today!! ^_^ Along with the CD and strip.
Spoiler: spoilers?
It looks like Mahoney danging from something in front of a gigantic moon. Hmm...

Also, I am surprised at the strength of the Layton Curse on me...

If anyone wants to read my review of the Professor Layton vs Ace Attorney Promo CD, you can check it out here:

http://www.squareenixmusic.com/reviews/oliverjia/professorlaytongyakutenpromo.shtml

I also have an older review of Gyakuten Kenji Orchestra Album:

http://www.squareenixmusic.com/reviews/oliverjia/gyakutenkenjipromo.shtml

Tell me what you think if you get the chance to read them. :will:

Racing through the sky like a Missile

Bad Player wrote:
Got my copy today!! ^_^ Along with the CD and strip.
Spoiler: spoilers?
It looks like Mahoney danging from something in front of a gigantic moon. Hmm...

Also, I am surprised at the strength of the Layton Curse on me...

Nice, maybe we'll get a playthrough posted online soon? Not meaning to push you or anyone...

What is that film strip about anyway?
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

迷探偵

It's a bonus early buyers get, a random strip of film animation (of the animated scenes in the game).

I know, but I'm curious what Bad Player got. What she mentions inside that spoiler tag has piqued my curiosity.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu

迷探偵

Oh, that. Well. Hmm. Yes.

*not saying anything*

1000% Knight

Rubia Silve Ryu wrote:
Nice, maybe we'll get a playthrough posted online soon? Not meaning to push you or anyone...

Don't count on it, I don't have any way to record 3DS games (emulator or capture card)

Rubia Silve Ryu wrote:
I know, but I'm curious what Bad Player got. What she mentions inside that spoiler tag has piqued my curiosity.

>_>

Sorry, but typos happen. Well, in case I find anything, I'll be sure to share it here, with your permission, of course.

元・超会社員級の管理人

Rubia Silve Ryu wrote:

I've been doing a playthrough with photos over at this blog (look for the posts called "Let's play..."). Not the best quality and I know there are a few inaccuracies due to my imperfect Japanese + the fact I'm doing these posts mostly from memory, but it's up through chapter 5 at the moment.

Wooster wrote:

Bolt Storm wrote:
I've been doing a playthrough with photos over at this blog (look for the posts called "Let's play..."). Not the best quality and I know there are a few inaccuracies due to my imperfect Japanese + the fact I'm doing these posts mostly from memory, but it's up through chapter 5 at the moment.

Thanks a bunch, it's like a good story I can't put down. How often do we expect updates?

元・超会社員級の管理人

Rubia Silve Ryu wrote:
Bolt Storm wrote:

Thanks a bunch, it's like a good story I can't put down. How often do we expect updates?

Kind of... whenever, unfortunately. :oops: I'm in the middle of exams right now. I'll try and get chapter 6 up tonight or tomorrow, but I'm planning to replay the chapters after that since there were some points I didn't quite catch on the first runthrough.

Wooster wrote:

Bolt Storm wrote:
Kind of... whenever, unfortunately. :oops: I'm in the middle of exams right now. I'll try and get chapter 6 up tonight or tomorrow, but I'm planning to replay the chapters after that since there were some points I didn't quite catch on the first runthrough.

No worries, any update is welcome. Thanks again.

1000% Knight

Rubia Silve Ryu wrote:

Hmm, I thought maybe I could just do a full-text translation (sort of like this) but I feel like it really helps to have an actual copy of the game to follow along with for that, but I doubt many people would ever get it since the 3DS is region-locked... :yuusaku:
Page 1 of 1 [ 40 posts ] 

Board index » General » Trial Minutes