Board index » General » Trial Minutes

Page 1 of 2[ 57 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next

AAI2 fan translation seeking localizersTopic%20Title

元・超会社員級の管理人

GyakutenGodot, a member of the AAI2 fan translation team, has reached out to let us know that the team is looking for localizers to help them finish cases 3, 4, and 5. If you've got some skill in writing and want to lend a hand, check out the info below!

GyakutenGodot wrote:
We are hard at work on the fan translation of AAI2. We have currently finished the first 2 cases, and are on our way through Case 3. However, due to wavering support from various localizers, we have slowed dont to a stagnant pace. We are very eager to finish and release this game to you guys, but only you can help us do that. At the pace we are going now, it could take us a very long time to finish, but with a sizable and solid localization team, we could be finished in no time.
In actuality, nearly the whole game is translated, all the graphics and nearly all the voices are done. The inserters are quite fast, and have inserted everything we have finished. All thats slowing this project down is the localization. We need your help.
For those who dont know, the role of a Localizer is to read through the translated text of the game, and make it sound more professional in English. Along the way we also add in American pop culture references, and small tidbits to spice up the game and make it sound more Ace Attorney like.
The only real requirement for this job is firm grasp of the English language and its nuances. It's also recommended that you have played as many Ace Attorney games as possible (But I don't think that's a problem here.)
Please apply below! Only you can help us bring AAI2 to the western audience! Any and all help is appreciated!

Warning: As we are reading through a script of the game, there will be spoilers.

Apply Here Today ==> http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/9LTSBBX

Hi! I've largely stepped back from C-R due to life stuff. Please contact one of the other staff members for help!

Wooster wrote:
If there was such a thing as the "Wooster Seal of Approval", this post would get it.
Re: AAI2 fan translation seeking localizersTopic%20Title

Fate Testarossa

Good luck with this guys. I'm not going to be able to help, but I wish them luck nonetheless.

Fate is made by クロス

Doing the drywall at the new McDonalds

I remember last time I checked they had been having an issue with the memory or something. I guess this means that got worked out?

Unfortunately I'm a little too busy with going back to college to help right now, but in a couple months I should have more than enough time and will apply then.

(By then I should be done with playing GK2, too, so spoilers won't be a problem!)
I used to have Sam Waterston as my avatar but photobucket added a watermark and also Law & Order has been cancelled for 10 years so it's time for me to move on.

I wish I WERE the best.

For a second there, I thought the news was about AAI2 finally getting localized from an announcement by Capcom, as I quickly caught the word "localizer" in it.

Way to let my hopes down. But whatever.

Objection!

Meh. I would really, really, really love to help, but I also really, really, really don't want to get myself spoiled. Now that's a dilemma right there. :s

Godot's the Man

AnsweringNOW wrote:
For a second there, I thought the news was about AAI2 finally getting localized from an announcement by Capcom, as I quickly caught the word "localizer" in it.

We'll by helping out, you can make that dream a (semi) reality!

Before you believe me, please feel your

Is this AA2 game will release on NDS?

Just signed up. Hope that I'll be of some use!

I wish I WERE the best.

GyakutenGodot wrote:
AnsweringNOW wrote:

We'll by helping out, you can make that dream a (semi) reality!

I did actually slightly volunteer in the section where they came up with English names. Although only one of my suggestions came through in a manner of speaking.

Heh, this is probably very unlikely but I wonder what would happen if Capcom finally announced localization of AAI2, just when the fan-translation is near its final stages.

I just blue myself

Just filled out the survey! Just an hour here or there as I'm busy studying. I think you guys are exaggerating how much work it is. It's all translated already! It's just changing stuff like 'Naruhodo-san, you're wackiness is like Kyary Pamyu Pamyu' to something like 'Mr Wright, I knew you were trouble when you walked in..." Throw in pop culture references that are subtle enough that it doesn't distract. Have fun with it!
I'm So Meta, Even This Acronym

But in all honesty, META humour sucks.

Master of sharp things!

AnsweringNOW wrote:
Heh, this is probably very unlikely but I wonder what would happen if Capcom finally announced localization of AAI2, just when the fan-translation is near its final stages.

Something like this happened a long time back when AA1 had just come out. As I recall there was a website that was translating the GBA version of AA3 before Capcom said anything about translating the second or third games. When the games' announcement was made, the guy running the website wanted to continue anyway, but interest waned until he pretty much gave up after finishing the first case.

Godot's the Man

Update
We have received 32 applications! Wow thanks for the support guys! We are going through the applications as we speak, and accepting the 10 most impressive ones. Once we get those guys settled in, we will accept another group of 10, etc. So dont be worried of your not accepted today! Chances are you will be in the coming week/s. Make sure to check your email though, since thats how you'll know when you are accepted. If you havent applied yet, don't worry, we are still accepting applications, so do throw one in!
Thanks for the support guys! And also thanks to Bolt Storm for posting this on the front of CR, and helping to publicizes the project!

AnsweringNOW wrote:

Oh wow, that would be awful...I mean great for the fans, but devastating to the people working on thr project. It's very unlikely though, if we ever did see AAI2, it wouldn't be for a while, since we have Duel Destinies, and PL vs AA coming out later this year, and the beginning of next year respectively.

jayvdale wrote:
Is this AA2 game will release on NDS?

Yup, NDS flash card or an emulator will work!

ReturnofthePhoenix wrote:
Just filled out the survey! Just an hour here or there as I'm busy studying. I think you guys are exaggerating how much work it is. It's all translated already! It's just changing stuff like 'Naruhodo-san, you're wackiness is like Kyary Pamyu Pamyu' to something like 'Mr Wright, I knew you were trouble when you walked in..." Throw in pop culture references that are subtle enough that it doesn't distract. Have fun with it!

You'd be surprised! It takes an awfully long time, also remember up until now we were sorely understaffed. Also we do more than add in pop culture references, actually thats the least of what we do. We go through the literally translated text and just make it sound more natural in English. It's actually harder than you think. But thanks for signing up!

I just blue myself

GyakutenGodot wrote:
You'd be surprised! It takes an awfully long time, also remember up until now we were sorely understaffed. Also we do more than add in pop culture references, actually thats the least of what we do. We go through the literally translated text and just make it sound more natural in English. It's actually harder than you think. But thanks for signing up!

Oh, of course it's not that simple but I mean people appear to be saying 'nah' a lot here and I think they think it's much more difficult than it is. I'm not saying it's easy but I mean that there'd be a lot of people working on the project so it wouldn't be quite as grueling as one would think. Hopefully, if we all pull through, this thing can be done by 2014! #settingambitionstoohigh #hashtagirony

I wish I WERE the best.

I'm actually wondering if Capcom would by any chance use the fan translation team's work once they've finished. Obviously, they would have to pay for the use of the work and refine some of the sloppier sections of the localization (n-not that I'm insulting the fan translation team or anything. I've seen some of their work on Case 1 and they look almost up-to-par with the official localization of Ace Attorney) but this is just me discussing hypothetical situations that would have a .0000001% chance of occurring.

woosh

Signed up under the name JZust, would be super happy to help if you'll have me.
:O

Racing through the sky like a Missile

Thanks for all your efforts thus far! I've signed up. I don't expect to be picked right away, but if anyone needs me, I'll be around. When I spend my summer break on things like this, I spend it well.

...And throw in some confetti.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

GyakutenGodot wrote:
Update
We have received 32 applications! Wow thanks for the support guys! We are going through the applications as we speak, and accepting the 10 most impressive ones. Once we get those guys settled in, we will accept another group of 10, etc. So dont be worried of your not accepted today! Chances are you will be in the coming week/s. Make sure to check your email though, since thats how you'll know when you are accepted. If you havent applied yet, don't worry, we are still accepting applications, so do throw one in!
Thanks for the support guys! And also thanks to Bolt Storm for posting this on the front of CR, and helping to publicizes the project!

From my own experience (having finished the German translation patch for AAI1) it's better to have a small, dedicated, capable team instead of a huge team. 10 already seems to be a very large group.
Remember the different .spts have to be coherent and unless you have a great planing the "work after the localization" could be much more than you think.

Btw. in AAI there were also different files that actually contained the same text or parts of them overlapped, so we had to make sure they also contained the same text after different people translated them. Is this also true for AAI2?

Heh heh.

Applied. Gosh, I hope I didn't sound arrogant or leave anything out...

... and in hindsight, it also may not have been a good idea to apply this close to the start of my freshman year in college...
So I finally grew a brain and remembered to give myself a signature... Whoopee.
Snackoos IRL. They are delicious and are covered in real chocolate. #so-grateful-I'm-Filipino

Excuse me if I contradict myself. I do that.

I wish i could help since i really want this game to come out but ill convince my girlfriend to do it since she's really good with grammar

Last edited by Church Of Sumire on Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kay Faraday > Maya Fey

Just signed up, it'd be great to get this out there. Gotta say, Phoenix Wright has the most dedicated fanbase ever, which is awesome!

Last edited by rayquazapk2 on Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rayquazapk2 wrote:
Just signed up, it'd be great to get this out there. Gotta day, Phoenix Wright has the most dedicated fanbase ever, which is awesome!

Welcome to the court-records.

Prosecutor Yuugami wrote:
I wish i could help since i really want this game to come out but ill convince my girlfriend to do it since shes really good with grammar

Good luck for both of you and your girlfriend.

wilddrawfour.tumblr.com

Just applied. I just KNOW I can help! I love this series, but I can't decide if I love the fanbase more. :)

HERE COME DAT SPIRIT MEDIUM!

A Seeker of Truth

Just applied! I may be a newbie to Court-Records and to the art of localization, but if I can do ANYTHING to help this project move along quicker, then I will do my best to do so :phoenix:
"No one can change the past. The only thing we can do is strive to make up for our mistakes. Why must we make up for our mistakes, you ask? Because in so doing... we can find the way back to our path. And once we've found our path, we can move on from our past mistakes toward a brighter future."- Phoenix Wright

They don't :c

Location: http://www.ezilon.com/maps/images/southamerica/political-map-of-Argentina.gif

The tech issues are sorted? Christ almighty, it's finally happened! I can't believe I used to lead this project... I wrote the original Applications Thread all by myself, back in the backup forums after the Great Crash of C-R, I remember it being a huge, yet very organized wall of text xD

In any case, back then I used to localize, too, when we did the translations and localizations in threads of the backup forums... Then we jumped to Dropbox, but the organization was a bit disastrous, although bearable. I left because I felt the tech issues would never be resolved, and we were wasting our collective time... I'm so, SO glad you guys have proven me wrong.

I've applied. I will definitely do my best to help if I get accepted. And if I don't, I still wish everyone involved the best of luck. I can't wait to see how this moves on.

I just signed in. I'm slowly active but I'm just trying my confidence here even I'm novice both the court-records and ace attorney online.

hubbbjectiunnnn

Well. I do like to write, and I have helped out with translations before. I've got free time.

Why not. I'll apply.

A few years ago, I really wanted to go into localization. Although my career paths have changed a bit, I will definitely apply.

The Law 'Shark'

How would one put this in a manner that suits ace attorney?

" Your honor...the prosecution is going ALL IN on this! "

I've applied - I must do my part to give to a fanbase that I have supported and cherished for this long! :hobohodo:
~Beware of the Shark - He'll bite!~

Just signed up for it so i can do my part

Oompa-Loompa

AnsweringNOW wrote:
I'm actually wondering if Capcom would by any chance use the fan translation team's work once they've finished. Obviously, they would have to pay for the use of the work and refine some of the sloppier sections of the localization (n-not that I'm insulting the fan translation team or anything. I've seen some of their work on Case 1 and they look almost up-to-par with the official localization of Ace Attorney) but this is just me discussing hypothetical situations that would have a .0000001% chance of occurring.

I am wondering the same thing myself. Does anybody know?

BobbyBritish wrote:
AnsweringNOW wrote:

I am wondering the same thing myself. Does anybody know?

There's no chance they would use it.

Godot's the Man

DeMatador wrote:
The tech issues are sorted? Christ almighty, it's finally happened! I can't believe I used to lead this project... I wrote the original Applications Thread all by myself, back in the backup forums after the Great Crash of C-R, I remember it being a huge, yet very organized wall of text xD

In any case, back then I used to localize, too, when we did the translations and localizations in threads of the backup forums... Then we jumped to Dropbox, but the organization was a bit disastrous, although bearable. I left because I felt the tech issues would never be resolved, and we were wasting our collective time... I'm so, SO glad you guys have proven me wrong.

I've applied. I will definitely do my best to help if I get accepted. And if I don't, I still wish everyone involved the best of luck. I can't wait to see how this moves on.

Yeah DeMat, and guess what? We have still been working off that application thread up until I just made that survey monkey! We actually still work on the backup forums.
In regards to the technical issues, you're probably referring to the one in Case 1, which has since been cleared up. However now there are some small issues in Case 2, thats whats holding back the release of the first 2 cases. Its not like one specific problem now though, just some random errors at a point or two in the case that have to be cleared up.

But yeah welcome back! Hopefully you will be accepted in the next batch of 10 :maya: (we already sent out first batch invites, sorry)!

I just blue myself

Wow, I love all the energy everyone's offering! It feels like a real team effort :') If we have a happy tears emoticon, someone tell me. I feel a real sense of belonging growing here which...is a pretty obscure reference since I'm willing to bet 0% of you are in year 12 in New South Wales. Anyway, let's hope with this team we can all pull together and get this thing done!

Last edited by ReturnofthePhoenix on Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Heh heh.

ReturnofthePhoenix wrote:
Wow, I love all the energy everyone's offering! It feels like a real team effort :') If we have a happy tears emoticon, someone tell me. I feel a real sense of belonging growing here which...is a pretty obscure reference since I'm willing to be 0% of you are in year 12 in New South Wales. Anyway, let's hope with this team we can all pull together and get this thing done!

:acro:
So I finally grew a brain and remembered to give myself a signature... Whoopee.
Snackoos IRL. They are delicious and are covered in real chocolate. #so-grateful-I'm-Filipino

Excuse me if I contradict myself. I do that.

What did he do this time...?

I really want to join, and I definitely have the skills to do so, but it looks like you have enough people. Plus I'm already busy enough with my own stuff.
Good luck AAI2 team! I hope it'll be close to AA standards!
Want to play my custom-made Ace Attorney case made on Ace Attorney Online? (you must be using Firefox to run it)
Turnabout Destiny

I'd apply, but to be honest, I don't really want to get spoiled and you seem to have had a lot of applicants already. Although, as I believe someone mentioned earlier, with this many editors on board won't it be very time-consuming to give the script a final perusing AFTER the editing is done in order to make sure the text isn't wildly inconsistent due to being edited by over twenty different people?

Anyway, I don't mean to be discouraging. Keep up the good work, I'll keep eagerly awaiting the finished product which I'm sure will be up to par whenever it does come out.

That one guy nobody knows

I put in an application, if there is still a spot open. I just want to be the biggest help I can.

EDIT: D'oh I forgot to add my time zone in my application.:sadshoe: I am in Eastern Standard time.

Last edited by TSMD on Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

I sent in an application (same name as here). I just wish the application had more specific questions or something because I felt it was somewhat constricting and hard to sell oneself (a vague "why should we hire you" tends to be a crappy interview question really, since it should be construed to make it clear in the conversation...but it's a small e-form so I get it). How many people do you see working on this? Because if you're already sending acceptance emails one day in (remember lots of us don't check daily so to relegate to the first day's worth of people would not be recommended) I'd imagine it's going to be a hefty-ish amount. I said I was available 5-10 hours a week "comfortably" (more can be done but that'd be dependent on day-to-day affairs and schedules) so not sure if that'd be sufficient (we all have lives though so I imagine the numbers are malleable anyway).

If I may suggest, not sure how you plan on delegating taskts but I think the best way to do it is instead of simply just dividing up the text to different people to localize and coming together in a group-meeting fashion to discuss, you run it with teams: one set focuses on making the sentences "natural English", one set finesses them to make them better fit the characters, and then as you go along make subtle changes (like, a scene is supposed to be humorous with some reference, add one that would make sense to the audience), and then people that make sure that the dialogue is consistent and makes sense in the overall scheme of the story. Not that this is the only way of doing it and surely some people can pull in a mixture (emphasis on one or the other but able to pull both roles) but in my experience in business it's best to have a sort of ladder of people doing low-level and high-level work (low and high like in programming languages, low being close to the language structure, high being involved with making it work more naturally). That way you don't overwhelm the main production with too many people working on too many parts yet you ensure that someone is watching them to make sure it makes sense, and someone even higher to make sure the parts coordinate with each other.

Sorry if sounding a bit out of line. I just feel that there's more than enough talent to ensure that things can be translated as they come along and that organization and structure is just as important to the process. Otherwise you have a lots of puzzle pieces held by lots of people.

Godot's the Man

ronin122 wrote:
I sent in an application (same name as here). I just wish the application had more specific questions or something because I felt it was somewhat constricting and hard to sell oneself (a vague "why should we hire you" tends to be a crappy interview question really, since it should be construed to make it clear in the conversation...but it's a small e-form so I get it). How many people do you see working on this? Because if you're already sending acceptance emails one day in (remember lots of us don't check daily so to relegate to the first day's worth of people would not be recommended) I'd imagine it's going to be a hefty-ish amount. I said I was available 5-10 hours a week "comfortably" (more can be done but that'd be dependent on day-to-day affairs and schedules) so not sure if that'd be sufficient (we all have lives though so I imagine the numbers are malleable anyway).

If I may suggest, not sure how you plan on delegating taskts but I think the best way to do it is instead of simply just dividing up the text to different people to localize and coming together in a group-meeting fashion to discuss, you run it with teams: one set focuses on making the sentences "natural English", one set finesses them to make them better fit the characters, and then as you go along make subtle changes (like, a scene is supposed to be humorous with some reference, add one that would make sense to the audience), and then people that make sure that the dialogue is consistent and makes sense in the overall scheme of the story. Not that this is the only way of doing it and surely some people can pull in a mixture (emphasis on one or the other but able to pull both roles) but in my experience in business it's best to have a sort of ladder of people doing low-level and high-level work (low and high like in programming languages, low being close to the language structure, high being involved with making it work more naturally). That way you don't overwhelm the main production with too many people working on too many parts yet you ensure that someone is watching them to make sure it makes sense, and someone even higher to make sure the parts coordinate with each other.

Sorry if sounding a bit out of line. I just feel that there's more than enough talent to ensure that things can be translated as they come along and that organization and structure is just as important to the process. Otherwise you have a lots of puzzle pieces held by lots of people.

Umm...thanks for the advice but I think we have this under control. As far as the applications, we just accepted our first batch of 10 applications. In a few days or so, we will accept another 10. I dont know how many we are going to end up needing, but that depends on how consistent our current team is. Also, what other question were we supposed to ask on the application? Just tell us why your qualified, what experience do you have, etc. Thats all we really need to know.

In regards to you delegating tasks comment, we have this under control. For a while it was just a free for all, anybody could edit any file and make it sound better. This was unspecific, and tended to lead to a lack of support, as localizers were joining, and then leaving just a few short weeks later. We have streamlined the process now, someone translates, someone checks the translation, then someone makes it sound natural (localizer), and then an admin reads it over for the final time and approves it. While I agree with your process in general, it wouldnt work well for this project. We cant do what you said since most characters dont have a distinctive speech pattern that affects every line they say (only character i can think of is Lotta Heart) and there isnt humor or pop culture references necessary in every line as well (we also have a file where it explains all character quirks etc so everyone can do that). Its much easier for each person to give the text a once over and edit anything that doesnt look natural, and add in the character quirks, English sayings etc in one session. Trust me, it works, we accepted the best of the best applications so far, and the people know what to do.

This project has been on going for a while, I think the admins know what they're doing, and the process has been properly streamlined by now.

I've got a friend who's very interested in localization and might be interested - he has a bachelor's degree in linguistics and Japanese, and a while ago localized part of the first case of AAI2 for his own personal amusement. No guarantees, but I'll let him know.
Page 1 of 2 [ 57 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » General » Trial Minutes