Board index » General » Trial Minutes

Page 1 of 2[ 54 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Dai Gyakuten Saiban at TGS (live show over)Topic%20Title

元・超会社員級の管理人

In addition to the trailer, DGS is being shown off at TGS via presentations and giveaway swag. @hoso_boso gives us a few plot details from their visit:

Spoiler: Minor details
The Japanese trial involves a case that Ryuunosuke found himself caught up in three days prior. Meanwhile, the scene with Holmes and Ryuunosuke investigating the Russian man takes place on board a steamship.

More importantly, though, Capcom will be streaming the live stage show at 12:15 JST (08:15 PST - now over) Check it out here on YouTube. As in past years, it's confirmed a Special Court video is being shown - however, it's possible Capcom will black it out on the live broadcast. Still, take a watch to see Takumi walk us through the Joint Reasoning system!

Update: the show is now over!

Update 2: The show can now be viewed on YouTube! A small scene teasing a jury system can be seen at 4:54, and a gameplay demo of the joint reasoning system starts at 12:40.
Hi! I've largely stepped back from C-R due to life stuff. Please contact one of the other staff members for help!

Wooster wrote:
If there was such a thing as the "Wooster Seal of Approval", this post would get it.
Re: Dai Gyakuten Saiban at TGS (live show soon!)Topic%20Title

A Kirby and AA fan

And it's beginning! I've done my best to stay awake until now! Let's do this, raaaaah!!
Re: Dai Gyakuten Saiban at TGS (on now!)Topic%20Title

元・超会社員級の管理人

They showed an extended version of the trailer, ending with a new scene of an English trial, which appears to use a jury system!
Hi! I've largely stepped back from C-R due to life stuff. Please contact one of the other staff members for help!

Wooster wrote:
If there was such a thing as the "Wooster Seal of Approval", this post would get it.
Re: Dai Gyakuten Saiban at TGS (over)Topic%20Title

Art Person

I've recorded the full stage presentation. I'll be uploading it shortly!
EDIT: Video uploaded, but because it's over 15 minutes, it's not showing...

Last edited by SuperAj3 on Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

A Kirby and AA fan

Bolt Storm wrote:
They showed an extended version of the trailer, ending with a new scene of an English trial, which appears to use a jury system!

I'm honestly not surprised. This is exactly what I predicted. (Though I have no record of such.)
I actually didn't get a good look at the judge. I wonder what he looks like.

The Mildly Bent Samurai

I can't understand Japanese, so most of it went over my head. I still liked what I saw of the gameplay, though! :D

(I still wish those people were a bunch of witness for a mob cross-examination, instead of a jury.)

Money / More Money / Most Money

Does anyone get some Professor Layton vibes from these jurists, especially the woman on the left?

Also, I managed to get some screencaps of the Collaborative Deductive Reasoning mechanic from the stream, but most of its content has already been covered by Siliconera here from the looks of it.

元・超会社員級の管理人

Mijumaru wrote:
I've recorded the full stage presentation. I'll be uploading it shortly!

Hope yours turned out better than mine - I got good quality, but apparently my internet choked and decided it'd be fun to add some stutters and hitches... :yogi:

Wooster wrote:

A Kirby and AA fan

And it's over. Wow, if you can't speak Japanese, then the part after the stage presentation was all sorts of uninteresting. No regrets, though!

Vivi wrote:
Does anyone get some Professor Layton vibes from these jurists, especially the woman on the left?

I did. I think it's clear where this game draws part of its inspirations from.

A New Chapter of Trials!

So we're finally getting a jury eh? I can't wait to see how that works.
Eureka!

Master of sharp things!

Firgures, the one thing I wanted to see today and I doze off right before it starts. I don't suppose anyone has a recording of the stream yet?

Money / More Money / Most Money

Nurio wrote:
I did. I think it's clear where this game draws part of its inspirations from.

I agree! With the info we're slowly getting about DGS, I get the distinct impression Takumi had a lot of fun working on the PL/PW crossover.

With the jurist system apparently coming back into the series, I hope it gets better implemented into the game this time rather than the jurists being a rushed plot device like it was in AJ. I loved the mob trial and questioning mechanics back in PL vs PW, so hopefully we'll get similar or new but just as awesome game mechanics with the jurist system.

Gardevoir lover

So he's trying to have consistentcy with PLVSPWAA.

My DA account can be found here: http://klonoahedgehog.deviantart.com/

Art Person

Capcom uploaded the presentation for those that missed it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgEdGi1mu6U

Last edited by SuperAj3 on Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Re: Dai Gyakuten Saiban at TGS (live show over)Topic%20Title

迷探偵

Woke up very early in the morning, watched the presentation and the Capcom TV interview afterwards and fell back asleep again =_=

Anyway, the joint reasoning system looks awesome. It worked like I had guessed from the screenshots last week, and the presentation (with the spotlights and all) is fantastic. The fact each 'statement' can be accompanied (i.e. in one shot you see a newspaper, in another the Russian? man) with a variety of backgrounds really opens up countless of possibilities. The way Ryuunosuke and Susato talk to each other on the bottom screen is fun (reminds of how Rina always has something to say/think in the Touch Detective games) and I love how you can slowly change Holmes' deduction chain. I can imagine that later in the game, you might have to correct him multiple times to completely redirect his thought chains.

I'd love to see this used in a Conan game by the way. Have Conan 'correct' Kogorou's deductions and lead him to the truth!

Don't know if everyone caught the Dengeki TV interview just now and while (naturally) nothing important was told, there were quite some fun factoids that weren't mentioned in the special stage nor in the Capcom TV interview.
- Takumi was asked by the higher-ups to do a new Gyakuten Saiban game. Because the series has become so long, including spin-offs, they wanted something more accessible. Takumi wasn't sure what to do until the Great Detective appeared before him. Everything else came after the epiphany of Holmes (and Takumi had commented on Twitter before he wasn't sure whether the higher-ups would allow that at first).
- Takumi is familiar with both the 'real' Holmes stories and Holmesian theories and parodies, which is why he wanted to something like that himself too, leading to Iris.
- Character designs are by Nuri.
- The name Mikotoba Susato wasn't chosen for a certain meaning. Like most of the main cast in his games, Takumi focuses more on the look of the name and the individual kanji, rather than coming up with a punny name (Mayoi for example is a symmetric name). Mikotoba Susato consists of kanji with 'good', prosperous meanings with a refined look. Also, if he and Mikotoba would do a name-writing contest, Takumi would definitely win.
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

Bolt Storm wrote:

So maybe if Takumi had made GS5 it would have still had a jury after all?

But since it's instead in about 1920, way before GS4/5 I don't know what to make of Takumi's train of thought...
LOL parody sig trend. Phoenix/Maya Day is Sept 5!
[ Read my fanfics! =) | Phoenix/Maya 'Evidence' List ]

迷探偵

@hoso_boso did a write up on the Great Special Court, so for those curious:

Spoiler:
All the exclusive footage is shown in a small theater, which you'll need to get (free) tickets for.

First the TGS promotion video is shown. Then gameplay footage. Part of it was already shown in the Special Stage. There was also a bit of the Japanese court. Ryuunosuke introduces himself as a second year university student and says he's in court because of an incident that happened three days earlier. His opponent was a prosecutor who looked like Payne. His "objection" voice was also Payne-like.

Finally, the Special Court is fully voiced promotion video like previous Special Courts, using ingame assets.

Ryuunosuke and Susato appear in the English court "because of DGS which is planned for a 2015 release"(screenshot 1). Then Holmes appears, who upon seeing Ryuunosuke blurts out "But aren't you that dead Italian head cook?!" (See screenshot. He's dead! But this will be explained later).

Holmes thinks that Ryuunosuke was the Italian head cook because of a certain telegram. The contents of that telegram? The truth behind this case? That's what the Special Court is about.

There's a secret to the telegram, but the story is mostly about Holmes' silly mistakes.

As for how the characters appeared:
Holmes -> Natural airhead. Might describe him as a "clean Luke Atmey"
Susato -> Active, but can be a bit silly too.
Ryuunosuke -> Comments on and corrects both of them

Holmes also makes a comical meta-comment at the very end, which is very Takumi-like apparently.

"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

Art Person

Gah! I wish we could've seen that too! I wanna see Meiji Payne in action! :maya:

Blah!

I see that they decided to not use the AA5 method of animating character models to closely imitate the spirit of sprites in past games. Just like in PL vs. AA, the models have a "breathing" idle animation and no thick black outline.

I suppose there isn't really anything wrong with that, since they clearly got the modeling down right by now. I wonder if AA6/GK3 will stick with the AA5 style or not.

Lacks the brain for meaningful posts.

While I'm certainly intrigued by the jury, my eye was on something much more important.

It appears that this judge isn't the one we're used to. Both in GS5 and PLvsPW, the main judge was our lovable big bearded judge.
He kept the beard, I wonder how similar he is to the usual judge?

Last edited by Tiagofvarela on Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A Kirby and AA fan

Tiagofvarela wrote:
It appears that this judge is from the one we're used to. Both in GS5 and PLvsPW, the main judge was our lovable big bearded judge.

Wait, what? Are you saying they were the same person? Because they aren't...

Lacks the brain for meaningful posts.

Nurio wrote:
Wait, what? Are you saying they were the same person? Because they aren't...

Of course they weren't the same person, but both looks and personality were the same. Well... I at least thought the personalities were very similar, bar the whole witches shenanigans.

Breakdown

Quote:
Italian head cook

Spoiler: PLvsAA
Like Olivia Aldente? The PLvsAA influence is truly strong with this one. :-P

I'm loving what I'm seeing of this game. Hopefully a localization announcement is sooner than never.

A Kirby and AA fan

Tiagofvarela wrote:
Of course they weren't the same person, but both looks and personality were the same. Well... I at least thought the personalities were very similar, bar the whole witches shenanigans.

Ah, you mean like that. They're the same archetype, not the same person. Though I do think the PLvsAA judge was a bit less aloof than our usual AA judge. That said, it seems that this DGS judge seems a bit more serious as well.

Racing through the sky like a Missile

I totally called the first trailer's music as the analysis/questioning theme! (I just called it the "cross-examination" because it's a stock phrase around these parts...)

Ahem. Please note that at times, I may include a little "localization" of my own in places where I feel the tone of the sentence is lost otherwise.

Spoiler: Gameplay translations
12:39

Aboard the steamship "Prussia"
Special Guest Apartments, Lodge No. 2

Holmes: Actually... Just by looking, I knew he was the suspicious-looking Russian man pictured.
...Mr. Naruhodou, I've been thinking about this from time to time.
Is it because he is Russian that he is suspicious... or because he is suspicious that he is Russian?
Naruhodo: ...I don't think it's either.
Holmes: Just now, I've come upon the "conclusion"... There are no other possibilities.
Well, Mr. Suspicious Russian, sir. My "conclusion"... is but one at the moment.
Loylot: W... what!?
Holmes: Your "true identity"... is an extremely dangerous "revolutionary"!
...Furthermore.
With those scissors... you had just snipped off the "life" of something rather precious...
Am I wrong?
Loylot: Ah...!
Holmes: ...Very well. Shall we discuss the reasoning behind this in detail?
Of Sherlock Holmes' "famous deductions"...!

Reasoning Start
The game is afoot!

Topic 1
The elderly man's true identity

Holmes: Now then, I will begin my brilliant deductions.
Regarding this clearly suspicious Russian man's identity...
First, what's important to note is, of course...
the large scissors that would catch anyone's line of sight. [!]
Just what was he intending to do with them?
The answer is... something that would be made clear upon "observing" you.
You used those scissors to snip off that impressive beard! [?]

Now, let us move to the next point.
About that well groomed beard... why would you suddenly decide to cut it...?
Here, I have the morning's "paper" with a noteworthy article written.
...It appears you have also read the same "news".
Do you see now?
It is the "evidence" that points out your true identity... the article on the revolutionary! [?]
"The famous revolutionary from Russia, Demetri Demiglace, has fled in exile"...
And pictured in the photo... is that often conspicuous beard.
Having read the article, you cut your beard to avoid being noticed by others aboard the ship.
...Therefore, your "true identity" has been made clear.
You, my bearded acquaintance*, are none other than the dreadful revolutionary... Demetri Demiglace!
...Well, I haven't heard very much, so I'm not completely sure.

Conclusion
Russian revolutionary

Naruhodo: ...Uh, Susato? Was that one of the rumored "famous deductions" of his?
Susato: Um, yes... I have read about them in his stories...
But the "famous deduction" just now... it seems to have the wrong air about it.
Naruhodo: Hey, Mr. Holmes, could you come over here?
Holmes: Ah, Mr. Naruhodou, what seems to be the matter?
Naruhodo: That reasoning just now... seems a little odd.
Holmes: Mm... what of it?
Naruhodo: Um, about this Russian man...
He looks nothing like that dreadful revolutionary!
Holmes: Well... in any case, he's somehow related to that dreadful revolutionary.
Perhaps, he was able to "revolutionize" his face.
Susato: Hmm... that certainly is dreadful...
Naruhodo: (Ugh... you got to be kidding me.)
Susato: Anyway, Sir Naruhodou, about Sir Holmes' "theory"...
There may be merely minor errors in certain "viewpoints".
The key to Sir Holmes' "theory" lies in some important "comments".
May we secretly exchange them with others?
Naruhodo: (...Geez, what a troublesome "Great Detective"...)
Holmes: Ah, I seem to have laid trouble on you, my friend! Ahahahaha!
Naruhodo: (...What's with the haughty laughter?)
Holmes: Then, let us begin. This time, following the genuine path to the truth.
Of Sherlock Holmes' "famous deductions"...!

Analysis Start
Hold it, Mr. Holmes!

Topic 1
The elderly man's true identity

Holmes: You used those scissors to snip off that impressive beard! [?]

[lower screen]
Susato: Hmm... so did he use those scissors to cut that beard?
Naruhodo: It looks like the Russian man didn't get quite the same idea.
Susato: Then... let us exchange this comment at once!
What sort of thing did the man actually cut off...?
Naruhodo: Anyhow, though it may be rude, let's "analyze" it!

[examine "impressive beard"]
Naruhodo: That sure is an impressive beard.
Susato: To us, one's hair does have a certain "life" to it.
But to the elderly Russian sir, does he treat it as his "life"?
Naruhodo: Uh, not that I'd know.
I'm no Russian or elder.

[examine "thick coat"]
Susato: It appears to be a very warm outer garment.
Naruhodo: No matter how you put it, Russia is a very cold country, after all.
Susato: ...Yet, it's rather warm inside this ship.
Naruhodo: That means! Since he was too warm, he cut off some parts of his coat!
Susato: If it was me, I would simply unbutton the coat.
Naruhodo: Well, you have a point.

[examine "beautiful golden hair"]
Susato: My... what pretty "hair" he has!
Naruhodo: That is, "hair" atop his head.** It sure does have a nice golden shine.
But why does he have golden hair at the back here?
Susato: Pretty golden hair peeking out from that stocky black hair...
Naruhodo: (This is definitely suspicious...!)

Take that!
[beautiful golden hair]

Naruhodo: You used those scissors to snip off that beautiful golden hair!
Holmes: That's right... that is exactly what I was saying!
That slender hair... unfortunately, I doubt that would belong to an elderly man.

21:58

Take that!
[Dancing Girl Article]

Naruhodo: It is the "evidence" that points out your true identity... and that is...
Holmes: It seems I finally am able to announce your real name.
Naruhodo: And that is...
Holmes: *bleep* , isn't that right?

Conclusion
Russian revolutionary
*bleep*

[SOLVED]

* Using 'koso' after a subject puts emphasis on the subject. I might as well add a little decoration.
** Susato uses 'ogushi', the honorific form of 'kami' ("hair"), written in kana. It's rarely heard this these days, so Naruhodo makes a note of it for the audience. Nonetheless, veterans of traditional-style Japanese movies will occasionally hear of its usage.

And if I missed anything, please let me know. I have other things to do right now, so see ya.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

Y'know

Turnabout_Lawman wrote:
The PLvsAA influence is truly strong with this one. :-P

Just look at the courtroom - it's pretty much a courtroom for witch trials, but... different.

Cause of death is being dummy

The more I see about this game the more totally on-board the hype train I am. Ahhhh please let them localize it, the joint reasoning system looks really fun!!

元・超会社員級の管理人

Takumi and Kojima are talking about the game on Capcom TV right now. Takumi says there'll be a new English prosecutor, but he can't announce anything else about them yet.

Wooster wrote:

Athena Internet Defense Force

Bolt Storm wrote:
Takumi and Kojima are talking about the game on Capcom TV right now. Takumi says there'll be a new English prosecutor, but he can't announce anything else about them yet.

Well, at least that rules out making Iris the prosecutor...

I hope...

Doing the drywall at the new McDonalds

I'm deliberately not watching all of the footage, since as much as I loved GS5 I pretty much knew every case detail from watching and reading every bit of news that came out. But I'm glad to see that we'll get a jury trial somehow, even if it's not in the AJ time period. Still, it kind or irks me that they didn't do something similar with GS5. There are tons of ways you could have made a jury system easily implemented into the game. Heck, all you'd need to do to satisfy me would be to call the health bar the "Jury patience bar" and just have them announce the verdict at the end. Yeah, it wouldn't make as much sense as some complex system, but it still would have felt better than in GS5 where there was just a complete absence of the main point of AJ's last case. That's one of the very few things about DD that really bugged me. Ok, rant over!

I also do prefer the look of the AA5 models/animations, but these still look great even with the "idle" animations.

I'm getting really excited for this game!
I used to have Sam Waterston as my avatar but photobucket added a watermark and also Law & Order has been cancelled for 10 years so it's time for me to move on.

Dice-Off (Coming Summer 2013...)

They've just uploaded the "Full" version of the trailer to the DGS website, can't view it though because of me damn tablet.. I imagine it just has the English court at the end?

Blah!

irishmarcoos wrote:
They've just uploaded the "Full" version of the trailer to the DGS website, can't view it though because of me damn tablet.. I imagine it just has the English court at the end?

That is correct. Linky.

Programmer

I believe that the jury is going to have characters with character. They actually took the time to design the characters, they are going to make use of them. It's not like with Layton games where they design a pile of characters and don't do much with them.
Currently working on a redesign of cr.net itself! Come talk to me about it on Discord!

OBJECTION!

The characters do look rather Layton-ish dont they, I like the fact the judge looks similar to loveable Udgey, but I think he could be more serious.
Nick and Maya - Friends and Lovers....

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

The characters don't look any more Layton-esque than usual. Kazuya Nuri who's been with Takumi and his team ever since AJAA has always had a knack for making very very caricatured characters. All the very main characters will look pretty human, but expect a lot of the quirky witnesses to look extra quirky. That's just Nuri's style.

Anyway, if this game was really coming to the west, then shouldn't it have already been announced by now? Dual Destinies got the announcement right after its initial TGS reveal trailer :/

blahmoomoo wrote:
I see that they decided to not use the AA5 method of animating character models to closely imitate the spirit of sprites in past games. Just like in PL vs. AA, the models have a "breathing" idle animation and no thick black outline.

I suppose there isn't really anything wrong with that, since they clearly got the modeling down right by now. I wonder if AA6/GK3 will stick with the AA5 style or not.

In general all of Eshiro & Yamazaki titles pay a lot of respect to the original trilogy of Ace Attorney, so I think that's why they went with the very homage-like approach in regards to AA5's animation style. I think they might want to stick to that for future titles as well, because it does look pretty great.

I have to say, I prefer it when 3D models have idle animations where they breathe. If you stop and look in DD, it kinda freaks you out when the characters don't breathe, except for Blackquill when he's shocked.
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney

linkenski wrote:
Anyway, if this game was really coming to the west, then shouldn't it have already been announced by now? Dual Destinies got the announcement right after its initial TGS reveal trailer :/
DD was a bit of a special case, as per Defender123's post here.
Defender123 wrote:
[...]Capcom may not see an early announcement as being as necessary as it was in the case of Dual Destinies because this game was NOT announced shortly after a backlash regarding the previous entry of the franchise being confirmed to not have a Western release.[...]

Additionally in that post is also the theory I came up with, which is that Capcom will probably focus on the 3DS Trilogy re-release first before announcing anything related to DGS outside of Japan.
"If witches worship demons, does that make Wright the devil's advocate?" - Just some caption on PLvsAA.

Doing the drywall at the new McDonalds

Joe4evr wrote:
linkenski wrote:
DD was a bit of a special case, as per Defender123's post here.
Defender123 wrote:
[...]Capcom may not see an early announcement as being as necessary as it was in the case of Dual Destinies because this game was NOT announced shortly after a backlash regarding the previous entry of the franchise being confirmed to not have a Western release.[...]

Additionally in that post is also the theory I came up with, which is that Capcom will probably focus on the 3DS Trilogy re-release first before announcing anything related to DGS outside of Japan.

I agree with this, as much as I'm disappointed that it wasn't announced now. I think the GK2 situation and the different staff in charge of communication with fans was mostly responsible for the early announcement. During that time we were always getting semi-official updates (mostly from Sven, if I remember correctly) regarding announcements or announcements of announcements (I think they hinted at "more news pretty soon" in March of 2013, and then we got the English trailer in May). So I'm guessing if DGS follows the same path as DD then we'll probably hear something in the spring or summer of this year, which works out well for the HD collection which I believe comes out sometime in the winter. (Honestly, though, I hope Capcom doesn't expect the HD Collection to have the same sales as DD or a new GS game, as most people who have the trilogy on DS probably won't buy it.)

I'm actually surprised we didn't hear about either GS6 or GK3 at TGS. With other games, I'd worry about oversaturation becoming a problem for sales, but for an episodic visual novel like this I feel like getting 2 GS games a year would probably work well (at least in Japan). Or that might just be my wanting GS6 coming out. I'd love to have a Takumi, "experimental" GS game and a traditional, AJ-era GS game coming soon after or at the same time.
I used to have Sam Waterston as my avatar but photobucket added a watermark and also Law & Order has been cancelled for 10 years so it's time for me to move on.

Servant of the Goddess of Law

So I am assuming Takumi is using the engine they used in Layton vs. Wright as opposed to the Dual Destinies engine?

迷探偵

I doubt Capcom has those assets, actually. Main programming was done by Level-5. But considering this time, the dynamic camerawork and all seems to be a big part of the gameplay, I think most of the engine is new.

Programmer

I doubt that the engine is completely new. Some new tricks for sure, but nothing revolutionary. And note that changing the UI isn't a major change.
Currently working on a redesign of cr.net itself! Come talk to me about it on Discord!
Page 1 of 2 [ 54 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » General » Trial Minutes