Board index » General » Trial Minutes

Page 2 of 2[ 70 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2

Re: Dai Gyakuten Saiban: Official Site RelaunchedTopic%20Title

sirstrawhat wrote:
1: Why is Watson an 8 year old girl?
2: Is Capcom aware that Sherlock Holmes didn't even exist in real life?

1: Japan.
2: Never stopped other fiction writers from writing stories featuring him.
"If witches worship demons, does that make Wright the devil's advocate?" - Just some caption on PLvsAA.

NoiR

I've never understood why people on here always get so worked up about the validity of the characters professions. Like for God's sake, Franziska freaking whips everyone including court officials, Blackquil had a bird in court, you cross examine a bird, and let's not even get into some of the more ridiculous things like the actual court system.

Kentjr wrote:
I've never understood why people on here always get so worked up about the validity of the characters professions. Like for God's sake, Franziska freaking whips everyone including court officials, Blackquil had a bird in court, you cross examine a bird, and let's not even get into some of the more ridiculous things like the actual court system.

God forbid we had a discussion on a forum, right?

"I like this!"

"I don't!"

"Swell!"

sirstrawhat wrote:
1: Why is Watson an 8 year old girl?
2: Is Capcom aware that Sherlock Holmes didn't even exist in real life?

1.Who knows.
2.Neither does spirit channeling or magic bracelets.
Signature loading, please wait...

A Kirby and AA fan

Kentjr wrote:

I think that's something different, though. The fact that the prosecutors get away with everything they do more speaks of how much of a pushover the judge is. Sure, it's not the most realistic thing out there, but I would say it is something valid within the AA universe.
But for someone to be licensed MD and successful author at age 8, they must've begun studying/writing when they were, what... 4? 5? I just barely learned to not eat paste at that age and the only thing I knew about the human body back then is that my feet tasted like cheese!
...*cough*... What I'm saying is that the problem isn't so much that they admitted a 5-year-old to study to become a doctor, but more that she already had the brains to do so at that age!

Go ahead, make my day...

What I've never understood is why some people seem to think that having ridiculous or outlandish elements in a work of fiction is somehow a free license to include anything and everything the creator can think of. As crazy and silly as the AA universe is, even it isn't somehow exempt from the rules imposed upon it by suspension of disbelief/secondary belief. Internal consistency and coherence is important for any work of fiction. While this isn't to say that you can't sometimes bend the rules a bit (and this series certainly loves to do that), bending them too much or too often will result in the work losing that consistency and becoming just a random bunch of nonsense.

The fact that this series includes things like three-day trials, prosecutors with whips and animals on the witness stand doesn't by itself justify the presence of an 8-year old M.D.. In fact, when you consider that most of the previous prodigy characters were still studying/training at twice that age (and that Franziska becoming a prosecutor at 13 was already straining suspension of disbelief as it is), it makes the concept behind Iris Watson seem stupid and ridiculous even by the standards of the series.

Of course, this is assuming there's no "trick" behind all this, which it could be...we only know the bare minimum about the story and characters, after all. Frankly, I dearly hope that there is, since the character is unlikely to undergo changes at this point.

NoiR

Thane wrote:
Kentjr wrote:

God forbid we had a discussion on a forum, right?

"I like this!"

"I don't!"

"Swell!"

:lana:

Not even close to being my point. I'm not saying we shouldn't discuss how silly it is, I just never understood why people actually try to rationalize it. Don't get me wrong, Iris being an 8 year old MD with the capability of having a better logical thought process than her superior is out right ridiculous. But the game is still a game, not everything has to make sense.

Nick T. Callahan wrote:
What I've never understood is why some people seem to think that having ridiculous or outlandish elements in a work of fiction is somehow a free license to include anything and everything the creator can think of. As crazy and silly as the AA universe is, even it isn't somehow exempt from the rules imposed upon it by suspension of disbelief/secondary belief. Internal consistency and coherence is important for any work of fiction. While this isn't to say that you can't sometimes bend the rules a bit (and this series certainly loves to do that), bending them too much or too often will result in the work losing that consistency and becoming just a random bunch of nonsense.

The fact that this series includes things like three-day trials, prosecutors with whips and animals on the witness stand doesn't by itself justify the presence of an 8-year old M.D.. In fact, when you consider that most of the previous prodigy characters were still studying/training at twice that age (and that Franziska becoming a prosecutor at 13 was already straining suspension of disbelief as it is), it makes the concept behind Iris Watson seem stupid and ridiculous even by the standards of the series.

Of course, this is assuming there's no "trick" behind all this, which it could be...we only know the bare minimum about the story and characters, after all. Frankly, I dearly hope that there is, since the character is unlikely to undergo changes at this point.

But my point is not that Ace Attorney isn't barred from breaking the rules, my point is rather, why does it matter? The game literally has an alternate universe of its own where things run quite differently from the world we live in. And I agree, the whole Iris Watson being 8 years old IS ridiculous, but I sort of think that's the point. Clearly the intended purpose is to exaggerate her mental capacities. It's fine to discuss it, but there's not really much to rationalize in the game with our world since it doesn't make much sense to begin with, if you understand what I'm saying. The game can be bat crap nuts on its own with some of the theories it implies, and a lot of the game although surprisingly believable is also very exaggerated, idealistic, and unbelievable at times too. But thanks for having an honest discussion with me about it. :redd:

I wonder if the game does get localized if they'd actually change her age to something like 13 and say that she's just studying under Holmes.

Art Person

Not sure if this has been shared but an interview with Takumi has been posted on famitsu: http://www.famitsu.com/news/201409/17060920.html

I'm not good enough to translate, but Kojima did use the word "prodigy" when describing Iris. (I know this topic's had some debate in this thread.)

NoiR

Mijumaru wrote:
Not sure if this has been shared but an interview with Takumi has been posted on famitsu: http://www.famitsu.com/news/201409/17060920.html

I'm not good enough to translate, but Kojima did use the word "prodigy" when describing Iris. (I know this topic's had some debate in this thread.)

Welp there it is LOL. Looks like the prodigies keep getting younger and younger each game haha.

迷探偵

Mijumaru wrote:

I already posted it in the other topic, it's the "complete" version of the interview they published in the magazine last week. So it's mostly information we already knew.

Ash wrote:
A slightly longer version of the interview was put on the Famitsuu site. New 'reveals' include the confession that both Takumi and Kojima have never been to London ("I want to go for research...", "Okay, we'll go to the Kobe Foreign Residences next time") and that Takumi thinks it's difficult coming up with names for the English characters.

"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

The Mildly Bent Samurai

D.A. McCoy wrote:
I wonder if it would be worth messaging Janet and whoever else is doing AA announcements after TGS and just asking. They definitely wouldn't say something like "Yeah! We're localizing it and just not telling you guys about it". But they might be more likely to say "At this time we're not planning on localizing it" if that was the case. If I remember correctly we heard about GK2 in a Q&A session.

I asked if we might hear localization news at TGS. She replied:

"Unfortunately, as you suspected, I can't answer those particular questions. Still, I'm sure that what Mr. Takumi is going to share about the content of Dai Gyakuten Saiban at TGS will be of much interest to you and all Ace Attorney fans everywhere :)"

OBJECTION!

Sounds intriguing... cant wait!
Nick and Maya - Friends and Lovers....

The King of All

When will the show start?
The king of all, Sir Duke

Breakdown

Morning of the 18th in the Japan. Hype for dat pending trailer.

Art Person

Turnabout_Lawman wrote:
Morning of the 18th in the Japan. Hype for dat pending trailer.

I know they're an hour behind where I am, so I guess they'll update midday (about 2 hours 15 minutes from now).

Racing through the sky like a Missile

So, uh, the trailer's up. On Youtube.

Excuse me as I go before I burst from feels.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

A Kirby and AA fan

Now if only I could understand a lick of Japanese, I'd know what they were talking about. So many questions! I'm hoping for a translation soon!

Doing the drywall at the new McDonalds

Feriku wrote:
D.A. McCoy wrote:
I wonder if it would be worth messaging Janet and whoever else is doing AA announcements after TGS and just asking. They definitely wouldn't say something like "Yeah! We're localizing it and just not telling you guys about it". But they might be more likely to say "At this time we're not planning on localizing it" if that was the case. If I remember correctly we heard about GK2 in a Q&A session.

"Unfortunately, as you suspected, I can't answer those particular questions. Still, I'm sure that what Mr. Takumi is going to share about the content of Dai Gyakuten Saiban at TGS will be of much interest to you and all Ace Attorney fans everywhere :)"

Thanks for checking that out! That's one of those answers that could go either way so I guess we just have to see.
I used to have Sam Waterston as my avatar but photobucket added a watermark and also Law & Order has been cancelled for 10 years so it's time for me to move on.

OBJECTION!

Those bits of English in the trailer do give me hope for localisation ("The game is afoot!" etc)

grim_tales wrote:
Those bits of English in the trailer do give me hope for localisation ("The game is afoot!" etc)
I did like that quote, mostly because it reminds me of this one.:godot:

Also, if it's gonna get localized, I have a feeling they might not announce it until the AA Trilogy on 3DS is out so it doesn't detract from that release too much.
"If witches worship demons, does that make Wright the devil's advocate?" - Just some caption on PLvsAA.

Y'know

There is a Payne ancestor so I have no problems so far.

OBJECTION!

I wonder if the English words are just to show the 'difference' between Japan and England...

Programmer

Or it could be because Japan loves English. No, really, they do.
Currently working on a redesign of cr.net itself! Come talk to me about it on Discord!

Y'know

German too.

We are one

I'm so psyched! I really want to play this game! Sooooooo exciting!

D.A. McCoy wrote:
Feriku wrote:
D.A. McCoy wrote:

Thanks for checking that out! That's one of those answers that could go either way so I guess we just have to see.

I could actually see three ways this can go. The worst case is that Capcom has already decided not the release the game but decided not to say anything at this point since they would rather wait for interest to die down and face a smaller backlash when they eventually decide to confirm that the game is not coming. They could also believe that saying that the game won't come now would hurt sales of the 3DS version of the original trilogy so they want to make money off that first. A better case would be if Capcom is unsure about releasing the game and want to see the US sales of the Layton Crossover, the iOS version of Dual Destinies, and the Western sales of 3DS version of the original trilogy remake before committing to a Western release of this game. The best case is that Capcom has decided to release the game already but simply decided that the timing is not right. I can see two reasons for this. First, it could steal the thunder of the 3DS version of the original trilogy. Secondly, Capcom may not see an early announcement as being as necessary as it was in the case of Dual Destinies because this game was NOT announced shortly after a backlash regarding the previous entry of the franchise being confirmed to not have a Western release. Under this scenario Capcom will likely wait until the translation has advanced so they can have a fully English trailer. I have no idea if that is the case though I do believe that if the Gyakuten Kenji 2 situation had not happened we likely would not have heard an official confirmation of Dual Destiny's English release until the official English trailer that came out March of the next year.

How far had forensic science progressed at this time? I remember being really frustrated with PW vs AA about the lack of fingerprints and autopsy reports.

Blah!

adit2789 wrote:
How far had forensic science progressed at this time? I remember being really frustrated with PW vs AA about the lack of fingerprints and autopsy reports.

According to the history here, it seems that while some methods were being developed at the time (including fingerprints), they weren't really being used in law enforcement. In particular, according to the third paragraph under Fingerprints, the use of fingerprints was proposed to the London police and dismissed by them in 1886. So don't expect any of that.

Autopsies, on the other hand, had been developed for a while by that time. They weren't as sophisticated (and likely not as scientific) as they are today, but they could be reasonably used.

Programmer

Besides, it doesn't take a genius to spot the fact that a choking victim won't be covered with blood.
Currently working on a redesign of cr.net itself! Come talk to me about it on Discord!

迷探偵

Pfffft, fingerprints and autopsies are sooo normal.

The Sign of Four wrote:
"Your works?"

"Oh, didn't you know?" he cried, laughing. "Yes, I have been guilty of several monographs. They are all upon technical subjects. Here, for example, is one 'Upon the Distinction between the Ashes of the Various Tobaccoes.' In it I enumerate a hundred and forty forms of cigar-, cigarette-, and pipe-tobacco, with colored plates illustrating the difference in the ash. It is a point which is continually turning up in criminal trials, and which is sometimes of supreme importance as a clue. If you can say definitely, for example, that some murder has been done by a man who was smoking an Indian lunkah, it obviously narrows your field of search. To the trained eye there is as much difference between the black ash of a Trichinopoly and the white fluff of bird's-eye as there is between a cabbage and a potato."

"You have an extraordinary genius for minutiae," I remarked.

"I appreciate their importance. Here is my monograph upon the tracing of footsteps, with some remarks upon the uses of plaster of Paris as a preserver of impresses. Here, too, is a curious little work upon the influence of a trade upon the form of the hand, with lithotypes of the hands of slaters, sailors, corkcutters, compositors, weavers, and diamond-polishers. That is a matter of great practical interest to the scientific detective,—especially in cases of unclaimed bodies, or in discovering the antecedents of criminals. But I weary you with my hobby."

The Adventure of the Red-Headed League wrote:
“The fish that you have tattooed immediately above your right wrist could only have been done in China. I have made a small study of tattoo marks and have even contributed to the literature of the subject. That trick of staining the fishes’ scales of a delicate pink is quite peculiar to China.

The Adventure of the Dancing Men wrote:
I am fairly familiar with all forms of secret writings, and am myself the author of a trifling monograph upon the subject, in which I analyze one hundred and sixty separate ciphers

And this is just a small selection.
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear
Page 2 of 2 [ 70 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2

Board index » General » Trial Minutes