Board index » General » Trial Minutes

Page 1 of 1[ 26 posts ]
 


Gyakuten Saiban 2: The Musical (with subtitles)Topic%20Title

Gender: None specified

Rank: Suspect

Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:46 am

Posts: 14

Long time no see! It's me again :)

I have been working on English subtitles for the Takarazuka performance of "Gyakuten Saiban 2: Yomigaeru Shinjitsu...Futatabi," which translates to "Turnabout Trial 2: The Truth Reborn...Again." This is the sequel to the original play. I anticipate that I will finish sometime around mid-March. In the meantime, feel free to view the preview clips that I posted on Youtube!

1) Prologue, Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUGSHWtwjxA
2) Prologue, Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXq_GsPuHCs
3) Detective Gumshoe and Lotta Hart: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ei1yyA5mh_I
4) Franziska von Karma, Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVkQPaPUYeo
5) Franziska von Karma, Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rg8aDJmpZXQ

Also, I have finished the subtitles for the original musical. You can download them from my blog (http://kiyoshimitsu.livejournal.com).

Some observations:
-The original musical borrowed several elements from Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney. The second musical, however, is based on Phoenix Wright: Justice for All. The music and characters are all taken from this game.

-The story of the original musical has a lot in common with Trial 5 from Ace Attorney. The story in the second musical is similar to Trial 4 from Justice for All.

-Edgeworth's actress for the second musical is different from the first one. Personally, I liked the first Edgeworth better :(

-Franziska von Karma's actress is amazing! And cute :) Her poses are so accurate it's scary. She could use a few whip lessons, though :franny:

Hope you enjoy!

Last edited by GKKLJapan on Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:15 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Re: Gyakuten Saiban 2: The Musical (with subtitles)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: None specified

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:20 pm

Posts: 1109

You. Are. A. Sadist. Now I also have to buy that DVD. *_* I haven't yet been able to purchase the first one...
And I really don't have the money to do so (the DVD is so expensive, and hard to get, thanks to Takarazuka not shipping overseas :o)
But oh well... guess those clips will do.

Thank you so much for translating and uploading them by the way. I just can't get enough of them *_*

And by the way, I really prefer this Edgeworth over the previous one. And she has a better voice in my opinion :edgy:
ImageImageImage
Re: Gyakuten Saiban 2: The Musical (with subtitles)Topic%20Title
User avatar

1000% Knight

Gender: Male

Rank: Moderators

Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:06 pm

Posts: 6931

I only watched those 2 Franzy videos you have... And I haven't gotten around to watching your subtitles of the first musical... (Although I did watch some of your previews on youtube)

Anyway, this looks amazing! I like how they add photos and pictures of what happened, just like in the real game. (Although I wish they had close-ups, and went a little slower so we could figure it out ourselves first!) The characters are all very in-character. (Of course, I don't speak Japanese, so I don't know if you 'localized' it to reflect the way the characters talk in the English version, or if they wrote the Japanese so that the direct translation is close to the English version.) It's fun seeing Franzy and Phoenix do their poses. I'm a bit disappointed that Franzy's hair isn't blue, but at least the hairstyle itself is right, along with the costume. It's also nice seeing a lot of lines from the game.

Anyway, this looks very interesting, and very funny! Lotta's intro was hilarious :3 If this is like 2-4, I'm going to assume there's a lot more to it than this... (Although I could see the connections in the first musical to 1-5 right away. With this one... I'm not really seeing anything. Probably because the defendants and murder methods seem completely different. I'm not exactly sure how close they were in the first musical, since I didn't see much, but at least whatsherface admitted to her guilt.)

Two complaints, and one question: (But don't worry; what I'm complaining about is completely out of your control xD)
The background music is kinda soft in some parts, and difficult to hear =\ It annoys me so much hearing that it's there, but not being able to hear it T_T
Calling the poison "Heart Stop" seems really really silly. I mean, I know they're Japanese and it's in English, but unless the fact that the victim died of a heart attack is a plot point, couldn't they just go with potassium cyanide?
I saw that the victim's name is Payne. Is he related to Winston?
Image
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!
Re: Gyakuten Saiban 2: The Musical (with subtitles)Topic%20Title

Gender: None specified

Rank: Suspect

Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:46 am

Posts: 14

@L~A

I'm glad you enjoyed them! And I totally understand your situation. To be honest, I wouldn't be opposed to posting the entire video if I were sure I wouldn't get penalized =x But I'd rather not take the chance as it stands. Also, some Japanese dude would discover it before long, and then it would be a free-for-all in Japan too, which would in turn hurt domestic sales, which is something I'd like to avoid. So I'm sticking to simply making the subs available. I'm willing to send a subbed back-up DVD if you do end up purchasing the DVD, though.

Chances are that someone somewhere is eventually gonna make a torrent of this...I'd say it's only a matter of time. x_x

@Bad Player

Hey, thanks for the feedback! I agree that it's unfortunate that we can't hear the awesome background music too well :( But I suppose that's why it's called background music =P And I agree about the "Heart Stop." Japanese people have an affinity for katakana English that makes little sense, it seems ^_^ Kinda like Lotta's "Double-Shutter" technique, which I changed to "Double Shot" so that it would sound better.

Speaking of the translation, I will admit that I took some liberties with the Japanese. Some lines in the Japanese are plain boring, so I tried to make them funny while not deviating too much from the source material. Such is the tricky balancing act that translation calls for, and I'm sure I didn't succeed everywhere. As for the characters' personalities, I tried my best to make them sound like the in-game characters without altering what they were saying too much. Franziska's lines were pretty straightforward to translate. Lotta Hart's were a bit more challenging, not just because I'm not Southern and thus am not 100% sure how to sound authentically Southern, but also because she talks in hyper-fast Kansai dialect Japanese. Maya often made remarks that wouldn't make sense to a Western viewer--such as her joke about the "miso ramen" turning into "yakisoba"--so I had to change them to make them more culturally neutral.

As for your question, I'm pretty sure Marcus Payne has no relation to Winston Payne.

Yeah, you can't tell that this sequel is based on 2-4 from these clips alone. The murder method is completely different, as you noted. The similarities lie in certain events that take place during the trial. I'll leave it at that so as not to spoil anything.

By the way, I took down the 5 clips and intend to upload higher-quality clips in a few hours. Once they're uploaded, I'll update the links in my original post.

**EDIT**
The links have been updated. Enjoy!
Re: Gyakuten Saiban 2: The Musical (with subtitles)Topic%20Title
User avatar

1000% Knight

Gender: Male

Rank: Moderators

Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:06 pm

Posts: 6931

...I watched the first part of the prologue. I can't tell the quality difference, but okay. (I can never tell the quality difference between anything.)

Anyway, then your translation is definitely amazing :P I said before that everyone is in-character... that's because they all sound like they would in the game! And if they have all these cultural jokes and different dialects, yet it still sounds the same, then that just goes to show how awesome you're doing :P


I have 3 wtf?!s from the prologue, though:
-wtf at Larry being replaced?! (Although I'm sure that's the first musical...)
-wtf at Phoenix wearing a blue suit and red tie in 4th grade?! Was he born with it or something!? (Although I suppose with the changed hairstyles, they needed to change the clothes to fit...)
-wtf at Phoenix's "hometown of California"? (I'm going to guess that that's the direct translation, and you didn't want to stick some random town in as the setting)

Oh well... I still like how they used the grade school trial image from the actual game. She does look like the teacher from it! Although I am a little sad they used a generic sad theme instead of Reminiscence ~ Grade School Trial for it (or if they did, that it wasn't loud enough for me to recognize it)



anyway, I can't wait for this to be finished! :3 (Now I'm going to have to wait even longer to see your subs of the first musical, since if I watch it I know I won't be able to wait for you to finish your subs of the second!)
Image
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!
Re: Gyakuten Saiban 2: The Musical (with subtitles)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Deputy of Self-Esteem

Gender: Male

Location: Connecticut

Rank: Admin

Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:36 pm

Posts: 3449

Takarazuka likes to use English names and places. The reason you see 'Phoenix Wright' is because Takarazuka is calling him "Phoenix Wright", not Nohodo Ryuchi or however you spell his Japanese name. Northern California makes sense by extension because in English, the games take place in or near L.A.
Image
Bump - bump - bump - bump - bump - bump - bump
Re: Gyakuten Saiban 2: The Musical (with subtitles)Topic%20Title

Gender: None specified

Rank: Medium-in-training

Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:22 pm

Posts: 361

HAATO STOPPU!

I need to take some tips on cosplaying Franziska from that actress. Wow.

And Lotta as a nun? WTF?
Re: Gyakuten Saiban 2: The Musical (with subtitles)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Female

Location: The Land of Layton

Rank: Prosecutor

Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:58 pm

Posts: 846

Haven't seen the court bits yet, but poor Larry! Being replaced like that!

Lucia Aleia reminds me of Alita Tiala. I'm fingering her as the killer for now.
Image
Re: Gyakuten Saiban 2: The Musical (with subtitles)Topic%20Title
User avatar

1000% Knight

Gender: Male

Rank: Moderators

Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:06 pm

Posts: 6931

Wooster wrote:
Takarazuka likes to use English names and places. The reason you see 'Phoenix Wright' is because Takarazuka is calling him "Phoenix Wright", not Nohodo Ryuchi or however you spell his Japanese name. Northern California makes sense by extension because in English, the games take place in or near L.A.

I can (kinda) hear them say "Phoenix Wright" and "Nick" and "California" and "Lotta Hart" and stuff. But California still isn't a "town" =\ (Of course, it could be that the Japanese word was right in Japanese, but the closest word we have in English is "hometown" which isn't really right in English.)


...I also wish things were a bit slower to make it more dramatic. With the musical, it's like, "It's a nun! Turn around! OMG!" If it was in a game, it would be (or feel like xD) 5 minutes of leading up to it, then a dramatic reveal of her back. (With a special picture-thingy of it, like Alita's back.)


@MJ: Since it's based on 2-4, the murderer is obviously Clammy von Murderer!
Image
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!
Re: Gyakuten Saiban 2: The Musical (with subtitles)Topic%20Title

Gender: None specified

Rank: Suspect

Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:45 pm

Posts: 7

This is amazing, why did have I not heard about this until now? How can I get one in America?! That would be epic.
Re: Gyakuten Saiban 2: The Musical (with subtitles)Topic%20Title

Gender: None specified

Rank: Suspect

Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:46 am

Posts: 14

Bad Player wrote:
I can (kinda) hear them say "Phoenix Wright" and "Nick" and "California" and "Lotta Hart" and stuff. But California still isn't a "town" =\ (Of course, it could be that the Japanese word was right in Japanese, but the closest word we have in English is "hometown" which isn't really right in English.)


You're right--in Japanese they use "furusato," which translates into "hometown," but yeah, we usually don't use this word to refer to a state. It doesn't help that they're never more specific about *where* in California Nick is from. I'll add an annotation or two for the weirder-sounding lines. Thanks for the heads-up!
Re: Gyakuten Saiban 2: The Musical (with subtitles)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: None specified

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:20 pm

Posts: 1109

Why don't you just translate 'furusato' by 'the state I'm from?'
Sounds less weird than 'hometown' :phoenix:
ImageImageImage
Re: Gyakuten Saiban 2: The Musical (with subtitles)Topic%20Title

Gender: None specified

Rank: Suspect

Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:46 am

Posts: 14

L~A wrote:
Why don't you just translate 'furusato' by 'the state I'm from?'
Sounds less weird than 'hometown' :phoenix:


Thanks for the suggestion :)

I actually made a mistake--it turns out that Phoenix using "furusato" to refer to California was only in that one instance at the beginning of Part 1. Every other time he uses it throughout the play, he is referring specifically to the town/neighborhood where he grew up.

For example, in Part 2 of the Prologue, Phoenix sings about the neighborhood where he grew up, using the words "kono machi de," or "in this town/in this neighborhood." In cases like these, "hometown" or "home" would be appropriate.

Sorry for all the confusion!
Re: Gyakuten Saiban 2: The Musical (with subtitles)Topic%20Title
User avatar

1000% Knight

Gender: Male

Rank: Moderators

Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:06 pm

Posts: 6931

You could say "homestate" instead of "hometown" xDD
Image
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!
Re: Gyakuten Saiban 2: The Musical (with subtitles)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: None specified

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:20 pm

Posts: 1109

Or even better : the place I'm from.
Sounds good, right? :)

Also, I have a request... two in fact.
I know you won't upload the whole thing, but could you also upload (I won't ask for more than these two):
1) the part where Edgey (??) begins to sing Phoenix Wright's theme, then Phoenix starts singing the song in the prologue;
2) the 'parade' at the end? Where everyone starts singing, and singing, and *_* *Tsunami alert level5, L~A has begun to drool uncontrollably*

Anyways, thanks for those great videos... even though I'm quite disappointed there isn't any female dancer in the intro, like in the first musical :edgy:
ImageImageImage
Re: Gyakuten Saiban 2: The Musical (with subtitles)Topic%20Title
User avatar

This is my Path, my Dream, my Choice

Gender: None specified

Location: Up North

Rank: Prosecutor

Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:31 am

Posts: 778

Those were awesome! My god, the actress that's playing Franziska, only one way to describe her IMPRESSIVE! I kind of like the first Edgeworth's voice better but, somehow, this one doesn't seem to bad. I'll have to see more of her before I could make a final call though.
Image

**Special Thanks to Dekuran for the Awesome Siggy and Nadindi for the Cool Avatar!**
Re: Gyakuten Saiban 2: The Musical (with subtitles)Topic%20Title

Gender: None specified

Rank: Suspect

Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:46 am

Posts: 14

L~A wrote:
Also, I have a request... two in fact.
I know you won't upload the whole thing, but could you also upload (I won't ask for more than these two):
1) the part where Edgey (??) begins to sing Phoenix Wright's theme, then Phoenix starts singing the song in the prologue;
2) the 'parade' at the end? Where everyone starts singing, and singing, and *_* *Tsunami alert level5, L~A has begun to drool uncontrollably*


Hehe, I'll definitely consider it! In fact, I was thinking of releasing another clip once the translation is complete, just to kind of stir up interest again. I'll definitely keep this request in mind for that time. One possibility is making a clip that features various scenes from the musical--kind of a preview of sorts.
Re: Gyakuten Saiban 2: The Musical (with subtitles)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: None specified

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:20 pm

Posts: 1109

Quote:
I'll definitely keep this request in mind for that time.


Well, my only reuqest would be the parade at the end. :minuki:

Quote:
I kind of like the first Edgeworth's voice better but, somehow, this one doesn't seem to bad.


Well, having listened to the other songs from the show, I can tell you the new Edgey's voice is much better than just 'doesn'ty seem too bad' :p
(Especially in the song called '迷い道', dunno how to translate that though... :yogi: )
ImageImageImage
Re: Gyakuten Saiban 2: The Musical (with subtitles)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Male

Location: Taipei

Rank: Suspect

Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:04 pm

Posts: 2

You can watch the full play here on Tudou (chinese Youtube), subbed in chinese
(and download the FLV to watch it on your NDS if you want) :
http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/l_EYfTZ1VdQ/ GYAKUTEN SAIBAN 1
http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/7MKjvtixVEE/ GYAKUTEN SAIBAN 2

I'm sorry if it hurts their domestic sales, but they totally deserve it.
What's that thing with not exporting the DVDs ? We live in a globalized world, come on.
If they don't want to bring it to fans, fans will always find a way to punish them for that.

The full DVDs are already available on japanese private P2P networks, it's a matter of time before they end on european PirateBay-like.
Re: Gyakuten Saiban 2: The Musical (with subtitles)Topic%20Title

Gender: None specified

Rank: Suspect

Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:46 am

Posts: 14

Kazamatsuri wrote:
I'm sorry if it hurts their domestic sales, but they totally deserve it.
What's that thing with not exporting the DVDs ? We live in a globalized world, come on.
If they don't want to bring it to fans, fans will always find a way to punish them for that.

The full DVDs are already available on japanese private P2P networks, it's a matter of time before they end on european PirateBay-like.


I do understand your sentiments, but I have a question: Could you be more specific about which Japanese P2P networks are sharing the DVD? I'd like to investigate this claim myself. If, as you say, the Japanese themselves are indeed sharing pirated copies of the DVD (and thus hurting domestic sales), then I might be forced to reconsider my position.
Re: Gyakuten Saiban 2: The Musical (with subtitles)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Male

Location: Taipei

Rank: Suspect

Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:04 pm

Posts: 2

Sure. You can find a lot of things in P2P programs like Utatane. The most you have on your HD, the most japanese people are willing to share.
Re: Gyakuten Saiban 2: The Musical (with subtitles)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Female

Location: California

Rank: Desk Jockey

Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 12:04 am

Posts: 56

It looks really nice, but...
I don't understand why they're all female. I was hoping for some eye candy :(
Re: Gyakuten Saiban 2: The Musical (with subtitles)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: None specified

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:20 pm

Posts: 1109

They're all female, because Takarazuka is a female-only troupe. :uramidn:
ImageImageImage
Re: Gyakuten Saiban 2: The Musical (with subtitles)Topic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Female

Location: California

Rank: Desk Jockey

Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 12:04 am

Posts: 56

L~A wrote:
They're all female, because Takarazuka is a female-only troupe. :uramidn:


I realised that after. At first I was like "it's weird, even the judge is played by a female", then I realised they all were. Then I saw the name and remembered they were mentioned in a manga as a very prestigious troupe. They sure are great actresses, although I think I would have preferred an adaptation of an actual case without as many changes.
But it makes sense that they want the audience to come for something fresh and new.

That also explain why it's so expensive (the fact that it's a prestigious troupe, I mean).
Re: Gyakuten Saiban 2: The Musical (with subtitles)Topic%20Title
User avatar

This is my Path, my Dream, my Choice

Gender: None specified

Location: Up North

Rank: Prosecutor

Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:31 am

Posts: 778

L~A wrote:

Quote:
I kind of like the first Edgeworth's voice better but, somehow, this one doesn't seem to bad.


Well, having listened to the other songs from the show, I can tell you the new Edgey's voice is much better than just 'doesn'ty seem too bad' :p
(Especially in the song called '迷い道', dunno how to translate that though... :yogi: )


I'll definitely have to check it out. Do you have any links or videos I could listen to?
Image

**Special Thanks to Dekuran for the Awesome Siggy and Nadindi for the Cool Avatar!**
Re: Gyakuten Saiban 2: The Musical (with subtitles)Topic%20Title

Gender: None specified

Rank: Suspect

Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:46 am

Posts: 14

Apologies for the necro (can't believe it's been over a decade since my last post)! Just a quick note to let people know that, after a lengthy hiatus, I finally managed to touch up the subs for the second musical and upload the entire thing to YouTube. I was afraid it'd get taken down like the previous clips I uploaded years ago, but so far it looks like it's doing okay, so fingers crossed. I also uploaded a remastered version of the original musical with updated subs and improved video quality. You can find both musicals on my channel (GustyWinds).

I plan to start subbing the third musical soon, though given how crazy work/life have been, I can't make any promises with regard to timeframe. Maaaybe it'll be done by this summer?

Hope you enjoy, and thanks in advance for your support!
Page 1 of 1 [ 26 posts ] 
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  

 Board index » General » Trial Minutes

Who is online
Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 5 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum
Jump to:  
News News Site map Site map SitemapIndex SitemapIndex RSS Feed RSS Feed Channel list Channel list
Powered by phpBB

phpBB SEO