Board index » Phoenix Wright » Courthouse Steps

Page 1 of 2[ 56 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Should we see more of sad Trucy?Topic%20Title

私のホバークラフトは鰻でいっぱいです

I was worried we might get the "Any cases ideas?" thread in trouble or angry, so the debate will be moved here. : )

So, the question here is "Do we want to see Trucy face a challenge that could possibly make her sad?"

Some people suggest Trucy either witnesses a violent murder or could be molested. (Molested is more mature, but witnessing a violent murder is always possible for a T rated game)

Do you want to see something that could change Trucy's normally happy character to a more angsty one, at least for the duration of the case?

Arguements against this idea:

• It would destroy her normally happy exterior that we know and love.
  • It could potentially scar her for life
  • She's much too young to see that without being majorly affected.
  • It would be too depressing
  • She isn't a very "angsty" character
  • "A pox on balancing out balanced characters are boring as hell" - Herr Blondie

Arguements for this idea:

• We need to see more sides of her
  • You can see her happy and sad at different times, most people experience both emotions
  • Trucy needs more development and one way is to have her go through something life-affecting
  • Maya and Ema have both gone through a lot worse than Trucy has, but they were still happy
  • The developers haven't gone thoroughly into how much Trucy must have been through, a case like this would bring light to that.
  • "It's nice to see Trucy being adorable and just wrapping all of us around her finger but those are the characters that are perfect to emotionally scar for life." - Platinum Skye

Discussion is go!
Thank you ILoveMaxGalactica* for the signature~

Last edited by Femme Fatale on Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:10 am, edited 3 times in total.
Re: Should we see more of sad Trucy?Topic%20Title

Rebirth

As said in the other thread, sad Trucy is one of the easist and best ways to get more character development out of Trucy. It may also cause a situation for Apollo to prove his worth without any assistance from Trucy and likely Phoenix if Trucy is nearly killed or raped and Apollo is defending the accused. As long as the person responsible for the angst is sent to jail or dies at the end of the case I don't see many people having such an issue that they'd stop playing the games all together.

One case which should be the last is all that's necessary to make much of the Trucy haters to respect her character more. There that solves the biggest complaints for both Trucy and Apollo.

私のホバークラフトは鰻でいっぱいです

Platinum Skye wrote:
As said in the other thread, sad Trucy is one of the easist and best ways to get more character development out of Trucy. It may also cause a situation for Apollo to prove his worth without any assistance from Trucy and likely Phoenix if Trucy is nearly killed or raped and Apollo is defending the accused. As long as the person responsible for the angst is sent to jail or dies at the end of the case I don't see many people having such an issue that they'd stop playing the games all together.

One case which should be the last is all that's necessary to make much of the Trucy haters to respect her character more. There that solves the biggest complaints for both Trucy and Apollo.

Having Trucy go through something difficult would also make both Trucy AND Apollo's characters develop. Much how 1-2, 2-4 and 3-5 ended up making Phoenix grow, by having something happen to Trucy Apollo would end up growing as well.

Gettin' Old!

Platinum Skye wrote:

There are better ways to get character development out of Trucy. Besides I think the writers would just make Trucy bounce right back, besides bringing in sexual crimes would bump up the rating and make AA too dark for my liking. After all Maya made a good recovery to her normal personality after her near-death experience.

And you want more than just balancing out her personality you want emotionally scarring...thats permanent hence 'scarring' you want her to become a stunted husk of a girl. I read a story in the papers this morning about 2 brothers who beat two boys within an inch of their lives, dropped sinks on their heads and threw them down 15ft ravines and the effects were called 'emotionally scarring' is THIS the kind of damage you want to see Trucy suffer?

Besides Trucy-haters won't care and it won't improve the opinions of Apollo. Trucy haters will be glad to see her suffer because they hate her so. Some will hate her bright happy self and rather than like her new emo self they'll just enjoy her sadness with sadistic glee. Other's who complain simply on the grounds "she's not Maya" will never change unless Maya is actually brought back.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Superpower: Logic

Why would we wanna see sad Trucy? Fans of Trucy don't want it, and haters don't care.

Rebirth

Herr Blondie wrote:
Platinum Skye wrote:

There are better ways to get character development out of Trucy. Besides I think the writers would just make Trucy bounce right back, besides bringing in sexual crimes would bump up the rating and make AA too dark for my liking. After all Maya made a good recovery to her normal personality after her near-death experience.

And you want more than just balancing out her personality you want emotionally scarring...thats permanent hence 'scarring' you want her to become a stunted husk of a girl. I read a story in the papers this morning about 2 brothers who beat two boys within an inch of their lives, dropped sinks on their heads and threw them down 15ft ravines and the effects were called 'emotionally scarring' is THIS the kind of damage you want to see Trucy suffer?

Besides Trucy-haters won't care and it won't improve the opinions of Apollo. Trucy haters will be glad to see her suffer because they hate her so. Some will hate her bright happy self and rather than like her new emo self they'll just enjoy her sadness with sadistic glee. Other's who complain simply on the grounds "she's not Maya" will never change unless Maya is actually brought back.

Well how about you tell me the better ways to get character development from Trucy without showing her sad side. The story you brought up would be something I would love to see in a fanfic. But the developers would not have to go to that kind of extreme. An assault on Trucy's life that compares to say Alfredo Lopez-Cruz or Aldo Gonzalez from America's Most Wanted, (I'll post the case links if no one will google their names and someone asks).

I never said the "she's not Maya" complaint won't go away but the "Maya has gone through much worse than Trucy after one game alone" complaint will be gone. And it will improve the opinions of Apollo to an extent. I'll say it again, it puts Apollo in a case where he likely will recieve no assistance from either Trucy or Phoenix and Apollo proves that he can solve a case on his own. And those people I was refering to at the beginning of the paragraph will feel for Trucy more so. Not to the extent for Maya perhaps but enough to make them like her character.

ALL GLORY TO... SOMETHING

Kingofeurope wrote:
Why would we wanna see sad Trucy? Fans of Trucy don't want it, and haters don't care.

This, end of thread.

Rebirth

GigaHand wrote:
Kingofeurope wrote:

This, end of thread.

Character development and plot development. Plus what I said previously that relates to the question of this post.

Gettin' Old!

Platinum Skye wrote:
Herr Blondie wrote:
Platinum Skye wrote:

Well how about you tell me the better ways to get character development from Trucy without showing her sad side. The story you brought up would be something I would love to see in a fanfic. But the developers would not have to go to that kind of extreme. An assault on Trucy's life that compares to say Alfredo Lopez-Cruz or Aldo Gonzalez from America's Most Wanted, (I'll post the case links if no one will google their names and someone asks).

I never said the "she's not Maya" complaint won't go away but the "Maya has gone through much worse than Trucy after one game alone" complaint will be gone. And it will improve the opinions of Apollo to an extent. I'll say it again, it puts Apollo in a case where he likely will recieve no assistance from either Trucy or Phoenix and Apollo proves that he can solve a case on his own. And those people I was refering to at the beginning of the paragraph will feel for Trucy more so. Not to the extent for Maya perhaps but enough to make them like her character.

Do you have a problem with her character development? I don't think it needs to, it's Apollo who needs character development for the series to triumph. Maya never changed much throughout the whole of AA, she was tired at the end of it but it wasn't a major character development.

The only major character development in an aide that I can recall is Ema who changed dramatically from her introduction to her AJ appearence. This is an example from sweet innocent girl gaining angst and guess what? I HATE NEW EMA WITH A BURNING PASSION UNRIVALED BY TEN THOUSAND BLISTERING SUNS ON THE VERGE OF A SUPERNOVA!

Besides plot development can be covered by discovering their mother and Apollo's father there's still a lot of mystery there.
And the "Maya has had it rougher than Trucy" is a stupid reason to not like Trucy.

Lets go it this way...

PW1: Maya's sister is killed...gets tazered thats about it for Trauma.

AJ1: Trucy witnesses her mother's murder, is left parentless and has to be adopted by a poor pianist and is forced to make enough income for the family to go on.

Now assuming there is going to be more AJ, there is plenty of time for Trucy to have it worse than Maya, just give it time. Also Apollo acting solo won't aid his reputation much, there's too much "HE'S NOT PHOENIX!" for that besides no one really considered the time Phoenix acted solo in AA1 exceptional for him for that reason, it's more because he defended himself. Apollo on his own is nothing big and Ema being traumatised to the extremes you'd like is not going to help.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

:)

I don't mind her seeing more sad Trucy on two condictions.
1. It doesn't go over the top and kill her personality which I love.
2. She cheers up in the end.
That's all I got to say.

Rebirth

Herr Blondie wrote:
Do you have a problem with her character development? I don't think it needs to, it's Apollo who needs character development for the series to triumph. Maya never changed much throughout the whole of AA, she was tired at the end of it but it wasn't a major character development.

The only major character development in an aide that I can recall is Ema who changed dramatically from her introduction to her AJ appearence. This is an example from sweet innocent girl gaining angst and guess what? I HATE NEW EMA WITH A BURNING PASSION UNRIVALED BY TEN THOUSAND BLISTERING SUNS ON THE VERGE OF A SUPERNOVA!

Besides plot development can be covered by discovering their mother and Apollo's father there's still a lot of mystery there.
And the "Maya has had it rougher than Trucy" is a stupid reason to not like Trucy.

Lets go it this way...

PW1: Maya's sister is killed...gets tazered thats about it for Trauma.

AJ1: Trucy witnesses her mother's murder, is left parentless and has to be adopted by a poor pianist and is forced to make enough income for the family to go on.

Now assuming there is going to be more AJ, there is plenty of time for Trucy to have it worse than Maya, just give it time. Also Apollo acting solo won't aid his reputation much, there's too much "HE'S NOT PHOENIX!" for that besides no one really considered the time Phoenix acted solo in AA1 exceptional for him for that reason, it's more because he defended himself. Apollo on his own is nothing big and Ema being traumatised to the extremes you'd like is not going to help.

I have a problem that we only saw Happy Trucy for just about all her screentime and only saw Sad Trucy for about 18 seconds in the flashback. I love her characterization but making her sad for a duration of a case would make her grow and more people would like her. And let me point out I was never that big of a fan of Maya. But I'll explain what she and Trucy have gone through up to the end of the first cases in the series they were the aides.

Maya: Father left her, Mother vanished, Saw her sister's dead body, Tried For Murder, Tasered
Trucy: Father left her, Mother vanished.

Trucy never saw Thalassa being shot in that rehersal. And I thought she enjoyed being a stage magician and making money for her and her new Daddy. I like Trucy as a character better than Maya but will admit both have lost both parents and Maya has gone through worse.

I fail to see the problem with Ema. I thought she was just as amusing as in Rise From The Ashes and even got better. But that's for another thread.

Apollo needs help all the time in the trials: That complaint which I hear quite a bit would be solved by Apollo on his own without assistance from Phoenix and Trucy if a serious situation occured to Trucy.

Trucy learing about her mother and bonding with her would not help her characterization very much. Except if Apollo does not accept Thalassa and that causes termoil between Apollo, Trucy and Phoenix. Still not that much sadness going on in that scenairo.

I'm trying to fully understand your viewpoints. Both of us liked Apollo Justice and think there should be another AJ game. Both of us liked Apollo, Trucy and HoboPhoenix. However that's where the similarities in our interests end.

Quote:
I don't mind her seeing more sad Trucy on two condictions.
1. It doesn't go over the top and kill her personality which I love.
2. She cheers up in the end.
That's all I got to say.

That's quite doable from my viewpoint.

Gettin' Old!

Quote:
I have a problem that we only saw Happy Trucy for just about all her screentime and only saw Sad Trucy for about 18 seconds in the flashback. I love her characterization but making her sad for a duration of a case would make her grow and more people would like her. And let me point out I was never that big of a fan of Maya. But I'll explain what she and Trucy have gone through up to the end of the first cases in the series they were the aides.

You can't prove more people would like her if she was sad more often, in fact the consensus from most people here is that they want her to stay happy. And I hated Maya quite a bit too but granted Maya did suffer more I guess.
But you can't deny that as much as she loves it, the pressure on such a little girl to support a family and go to school simultaneously is going to wear down on her....she said she was just starting to make friends at her school, how would she have time to hang out with those friends, god knows how much her education has suffered going around with Apollo all the time.

Quote:
I fail to see the problem with Ema. I thought she was just as amusing as in Rise From The Ashes and even got better. But that's for another thread.

Thats a matter of opinion, personally I hope she grows obese and dies from all those snackoo's she eats. And I'm not the only one who hates new Ema for sure.

Quote:
Apollo needs help all the time in the trials: That complaint which I hear quite a bit would be solved by Apollo on his own without assistance from Phoenix and Trucy if a serious situation occured to Trucy.

And Phoenix hasn't? It's not like Apollo is asking for help most of the time. Everytime Phoenix uses his Magatama he's technically gaining help from the Fey family, Apollo's power is at least his own, and Klavier often solves a lot of the cases. The reason he gets helped more is because the prosectution is trying hard to discover the truth too, something that Edgeworth neglected for most of PW1 before his revelation.

Quote:
Trucy learing about her mother and bonding with her would not help her characterization very much. Except if Apollo does not accept Thalassa and that causes termoil between Apollo, Trucy and Phoenix. Still not that much sadness going on in that scenairo.

I didn't say it would provide characterisation, I said it would provide plot development. I don't particularly care about her character development, like I said Maya stayed more or less the same throughout PW's era. I like Trucy as is, why would I want to change that with traumatic experiences.

Quote:
I'm trying to fully understand your viewpoints. Both of us liked Apollo Justice and think there should be another AJ game. Both of us liked Apollo, Trucy and HoboPhoenix. However that's where the similarities in our interests end.

Likewise but I don't get why you'd want to ruin Trucy's character so with some crippling emotional anguish.

Quote:
That's quite doable from my viewpoint.

And thats a lie for sure! You've already said you'd consider rape/molestation/GBH/near death trauma, as fitting ways to torment Trucy into a character change. These are OVER THE TOP methods, bar the last one unless it's coupled with another. It's AA a few moments of near-murder are expected but the other ones are what I'd classify as 'extreme' methods which C.G. said he/she doesn't want.

Though it's almost certain she'd cheer up provided the method isn't 'extreme'.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

TLDR Master

From what we’ve seen of Trucy’s character, she already has quite a strong coping mechanism when it comes to negative events. She sets up an overtly cheerful and aloof disposition despite what has happened to her*, although it is a bit of a noticeable façade. As Apollo mentioned in the game, that smile doesn’t go very deep. My prediction would be, if anything personally tragic were to happen she would suppress her negative emotions even further and become slightly more outwardly manic and unstable. Of course, leading to some odd psychological quirks down the line (Think Ema and her compulsive snacking, but something worse).

I highly doubt that they would include molestation or any sexually related crimes in the GS series. Not only does it go against the “flavor” of the series (the precedence set by earlier games) but also going into that territory guarantees a bump in content rating. Sort of counterintuitive, but you can depict violent crimes and get by with a T rating, however once you step over the line into sexual offenses you get the M rating, and whatever the equivalent to the ERSB is in Japan and Europe. As a developer, you better pray you have a strong adult fanbase because an M rating severely restricts the potential audience you can sell your games to.

With that said, I’m for something “bad” happening to Trucy & Apollo. Having your favorite characters live nice and serene lives is ok … for a while, then it just gets stagnant and boring. Conflict of some sort is a necessary component for a decent plot. We don’t get into stories with mundane characters. I welcome change, it keeps things interesting.

*now that I think about it, Trucy’s negative experiences, specifically a shitty family life, is a recurring theme with a lot of characters. Although each character copes differently.

Trucy: Mother “killed”, asshole dad who would later abandon her to a stranger.
Apollo: Abandoned by parents, grew up a orphan
Edgeworth: Mother presumed deceased/missing, father murdered in a bizarre traumatic incident that induced self-blame. Adoptive father only took him in for an elaborate plot for revenge.
Ema: Parents killed while young, raised by an eccentric older sister under the influence of Gant.
Maya: Deadbeat dad, abandoned by mother, insane Aunt plotting against her, criminally insane cousin.
Pearl: Deadbeat dad, insane mother.
Dahlia: Cold and uncaring father, abandoned by mother
Spoiler: AAI
Kay: I haven’t spoiled myself completely but I know her fathers murder is a key (lol pun) component in her character.

Rebirth

Quote:
Thats a matter of opinion, personally I hope she grows obese and dies from all those snackoo's she eats. And I'm not the only one who hates new Ema for sure.

At least a few people will hate a character in any fictional series. Whether their personal tastes or opinions conflict with the character's life or personality.

Quote:
And Phoenix hasn't? It's not like Apollo is asking for help most of the time. Everytime Phoenix uses his Magatama he's technically gaining help from the Fey family, Apollo's power is at least his own, and Klavier often solves a lot of the cases. The reason he gets helped more is because the prosectution is trying hard to discover the truth too, something that Edgeworth neglected for most of PW1 before his revelation.

I never said Phoenix didn't. I'm just saying the common complaint I hear from the haters and critics of this game. However when Phoenix uses the Magatama he has to think about what piece of evidence is needed. All Apollo needs to do is find a nervous twitch. Apollo needs to be observant, Phoenix needs to be smart. But we are getting off topic so I'll stop with this quote.

Quote:
I didn't say it would provide characterisation, I said it would provide plot development. I don't particularly care about her character development, like I said Maya stayed more or less the same throughout PW's era. I like Trucy as is, why would I want to change that with traumatic experiences.

To improve the plot and the characterization. And she's good at putting up a performence so you'll see Happy Trucy more in the next game after GS5 if they continue Apollo as the main character. And you'll see Happy Trucy throughout the rest of the cases.

Quote:
Likewise but I don't get why you'd want to ruin Trucy's character so with some crippling emotional anguish.

I love turning very adorable fictional girls into a pile of ruin. Trucy is a perfect character for that.

Quote:
And thats a lie for sure! You've already said you'd consider rape/molestation/GBH/near death trauma, as fitting ways to torment Trucy into a character change. These are OVER THE TOP methods, bar the last one unless it's coupled with another. It's AA a few moments of near-murder are expected but the other ones are what I'd classify as 'extreme' methods which C.G. said he/she doesn't want.

Though it's almost certain she'd cheer up provided the method isn't 'extreme'.

First off C.Gholy is female. I speak to her on MSN. Let me point out that yes a sexual offense on a child would cause emotional scars that would never heal, Trucy is no expection. However Trucy is a performer. That means she can appear happy in most circumstances. It would take months at least to recover into a state of mind that would allow that but GS5 and GS6 can be spread apart a year in game timeline.

I would like either method. An extreme method for reasons I've already explained but a less extreme method I can enjoy viewing as I play the game.

Quote:
With that said, I’m for something “bad” happening to Trucy & Apollo. Having your favorite characters live nice and serene lives is ok … for a while, then it just gets stagnant and boring. Conflict of some sort is a necessary component for a decent plot. We don’t get into stories with mundane characters. I welcome change, it keeps things interesting.

I see the issue that has arisen by some people about any sexual offense turning the game into a Mature Game. Even though 14 year-old teenagers easily buy M rated games even with their parents. And yes conflict of some sort works to further the plot and make the story interesting.

Gettin' Old!

I think if we had a survey plenty of people would have a problem with new Ema seeing as she's drastically different from old Ema.

Quote:
I never said Phoenix didn't. I'm just saying the common complaint I hear from the haters and critics of this game. However when Phoenix uses the Magatama he has to think about what piece of evidence is needed. All Apollo needs to do is find a nervous twitch. Apollo needs to be observant, Phoenix needs to be smart. But we are getting off topic so I'll stop with this quote.

Apollo needs to do more than just find a twitch, he can tell someone is lying with a twitch but he has to determine what it is about. For example Orly, she touched her neck in memory of the whack she got, or Alita who fiddled with her ring because the marriage was exceptionally important to her particularly the bling that came with it. Apollo seeing a twitch is like Phoenix seeing a psyche lock, they know the person is hiding something and have a general idea what it is, the rest they have to piece together through intuition and evidence. But your right this is off topic.

Quote:
To improve the plot and the characterization. And she's good at putting up a performence so you'll see Happy Trucy more in the next game after GS5 if they continue Apollo as the main character. And you'll see Happy Trucy throughout the rest of the cases.

Now your getting it, no change to Trucy let her be happy Trucy for many more games, if she gets much older let her wise up a bit but keep her happy this is what I would like. They'd be better focused on more characterisation for Apollo...I hear a lot of people saying he's a bit too "Phoenix".

Quote:
I love turning very adorable fictional girls into a pile of ruin. Trucy is a perfect character for that.

Then carry out your twisted fantasies in a fanfic rather than foolishly believe this could possibly be canon. I've already had your quote that you are an "Evil" man so quit trying to force this into a serious idea.

Quote:
First off C.Gholy is female. I speak to her on MSN. Let me point out that yes a sexual offense on a child would cause emotional scars that would never heal, Trucy is no expection. However Trucy is a performer. That means she can appear happy in most circumstances. It would take months at least to recover into a state of mind that would allow that but GS5 and GS6 can be spread apart a year in game timeline.

I would like either method. An extreme method for reasons I've already explained but a less extreme method I can enjoy viewing as I play the game.

Thanks for clearing up the gender issue but we don't want to see that happen to Trucy at all. As it's been said it'd give the game a major hike and a lot of people may be angry at it since it exposes children who have been used to pleasent games to paedophila and rape. Sure AA uses murder a lot but the murder's are....'clean' to put it. No people getting through into meat grinders or mangled bodies pushed off of buildings. I don't want to see Trucy having to deal with emotional stress, we don't need another psychopath like Miss Andrews in AA because even if she does 'perform' happily we'll still know she's tearing up inside and I'll hate it forevermore everytime she looks sad at the memory or suffers after effects of the trauma.

Quote:
I see the issue that has arisen by some people about any sexual offense turning the game into a Mature Game. Even though 14 year-old teenagers easily buy M rated games even with their parents. And yes conflict of some sort works to further the plot and make the story interesting.

Sure let something bad happen, things normally do but don't make it extremely bad.
And yes but if things play out your way PSkye, then that M game parents would buy for their kids (based on the knowledge its been fine before) would include paedophilia and rape and then there would be massive controversy about it even though the parents would be in the wrong by buying the game in the first place it'd reflect badly on Capcom.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

私のホバークラフトは鰻でいっぱいです

I... actually liked Ema's new character. About the equivalent or even more so that 1-5 Ema. She's aged and people tend to become cynical with age. .__.

Remember, a molestation or some sort of torture isn't exactly neccesary. I still stand by my suggestion of being a witness to a murder case, or put in a scenario where she has to fear for her life.
Maybe she's been getting some threats at the Wonder Bar, which she's been trying to keep hidden but Apollo finds out about?

I like Trucy as a character who can "fend for herself." Maya was always more of a damsel in distress. While this arc, Apollo seems to be needing Trucy's help more. I just want a scenario where Trucy would need Apollo's help. I want to be able to find cracks in Trucy's independant and happy persona. I want to strengthen the sibling bond between Apollo and Trucy, and that means that they need to overcome some challenges together. Trucy's already had to go through so much on her own, what I want is for her to have to go through something with Apollo... if that makes sense.

Gettin' Old!

Femme Fatale wrote:
I like Trucy as a character who can "fend for herself." Maya was always more of a damsel in distress. While this arc, Apollo seems to be needing Trucy's help more. I just want a scenario where Trucy would need Apollo's help. I want to be able to find cracks in Trucy's independant and happy persona. I want to strengthen the sibling bond between Apollo and Trucy, and that means that they need to overcome some challenges together. Trucy's already had to go through so much on her own, what I want is for her to have to go through something with Apollo... if that makes sense.

I guess that could work, but that could be solved by simply defending her for murder, a common thing for aides, no traumatic horrible things required ya?

That said I don't want it to be a trend for her to be rescued, I like her as someone who can fend for herself too and if she keeps needing rescued that image might get beaten a little. She only really seems competent so far because she gets on with so many people and has experienced quite a lot for someone her age but...all the same I'd rather she didn't become whiny and moany like Maya did.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

私のホバークラフトは鰻でいっぱいです

Herr Blondie wrote:
Femme Fatale wrote:

I guess that could work, but that could be solved by simply defending her for murder, a common thing for aides, no traumatic horrible things required ya?

That said I don't want it to be a trend for her to be rescued, I like her as someone who can fend for herself too and if she keeps needing rescued that image might get beaten a little. She only really seems competent so far because she gets on with so many people and has experienced quite a lot for someone her age but...all the same I'd rather she didn't become whiny and moany like Maya did.

Defending your aide seems a bit like a one-trick pony to me, I want something else that the writers could do to strengthen that bond. If they could find something that isn't "lol defend your aide AGAIN" (because we've done that twice with Maya, once with Maggey and once with Phoenix) but also isn't very emotionally scarring would be great! I definately don't want saving Trucy to become a trend but I want it to happen once at least. (or they could make it a twist and POLLY gets kidnapped and trucy has to save him.)

Oh boy oh boy oh boy!

Spoiler: Spoilers?
Well her real dad DID die....

Life's a Happy Song when there's someone by your side to sing along!

私のホバークラフトは鰻でいっぱいです

Yaragorm wrote:
Spoiler: Spoilers?
Well her real dad DID die....

So did Mayas, though. And Maya didn't even have an adopted one.

Oh boy oh boy oh boy!

Hmmm, true. :udgy:

I agree that this would be good for character development...
Life's a Happy Song when there's someone by your side to sing along!

nuuuuu, stoooooop

Hey guys let's not dwell on the topic of Trucy suffering some kind of sexual assault. It is incredibly unlikely that something like that will ever occur in canon, and also we've got minors running around this site and I don't want to have to label the entire thread "adults only."

Capcom is never going to let Trucy get raped and thrown down a mineshaft so let's save those kinds of "what if" scenarios to fics.

HOWEVER! I do like the idea of Trucy being put in some kind of stressful situation. At the end of AJ Phoenix did imply that she has another side of her personality we haven't seen; it would be clunky writing for them to make a point of mentioning it, and not following through by letting us it. I wouldn't want it to prevent her from being a generally fun, happy, and upbeat person in most cases, but it would be nice to see your aide develop a little.

For example, if Thalassa told her kids the truth, but it was Trucy that couldn't bring herself to accept her at first: by GS5 she'll have been "Phoenix's daughter" for longer than she was "Thalassa's daughter", and has lived very independantly, supporting herself and her father. But suddenly she has a mother: if she spent even a short time of a case or two resenting that, it would satisfy the fans who want to see her have a moment of seriousness, but allow them all to come together as a family by the end.
ImageImage

Gettin' Old!

Croik wrote:
Hey guys let's not dwell on the topic of Trucy suffering some kind of sexual assault. It is incredibly unlikely that something like that will ever occur in canon, and also we've got minors running around this site and I don't want to have to label the entire thread "adults only."

Capcom is never going to let Trucy get raped and thrown down a mineshaft so let's save those kinds of "what if" scenarios to fics.

HOWEVER! I do like the idea of Trucy being put in some kind of stressful situation. At the end of AJ Phoenix did imply that she has another side of her personality we haven't seen; it would be clunky writing for them to make a point of mentioning it, and not following through by letting us it. I wouldn't want it to prevent her from being a generally fun, happy, and upbeat person in most cases, but it would be nice to see your aide develop a little.

For example, if Thalassa told her kids the truth, but it was Trucy that couldn't bring herself to accept her at first: by GS5 she'll have been "Phoenix's daughter" for longer than she was "Thalassa's daughter", and has lived very independantly, supporting herself and her father. But suddenly she has a mother: if she spent even a short time of a case or two resenting that, it would satisfy the fans who want to see her have a moment of seriousness, but allow them all to come together as a family by the end.

Tell that to the Hentai thread but all...extreme methods aside, the possibility of Thalassa revealing her nature to them could provoke some character development after all when you look at it from that point of view...though really I can't picture Trucy resenting anyone much but I can see her being somewhat saddened by it, then cue Apollo Justice to the rescue, family bond's tightened, Trucy saddened (briefly) and everyone ends up happy.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Rebirth

Herr Blondie wrote:
Tell that to the Hentai thread but all...extreme methods aside, the possibility of Thalassa revealing her nature to them could provoke some character development after all when you look at it from that point of view...though really I can't picture Trucy resenting anyone much but I can see her being somewhat saddened by it, then cue Apollo Justice to the rescue, family bond's tightened, Trucy saddened (briefly) and everyone ends up happy.

Apollo resenting Thalassa, Trucy gets really sad at her brother's reaction and Apollo taking off. How does that sound.

nuuuuu, stoooooop

Herr Blondie wrote:

Just because everything we've seen of Trucy so far has been optimism doesn't mean she's incapable of resentment. She was very young when her mother "left" and since then has been very independant--having a mother figure come into her life would, most likely, be awkward and confusing for her. Imagine if Thalassa offered her the chance to live with her instead of Phoenix: traveling the world, maybe even performing alongside her mother, international fame, for once not having to worry about money (maybe even having a "brother", Machi, once he's out of...juvi or wherever he ended up). Compare that to staying with Phoenix, scraping by performing at a "Wonder Bar" were guys come just to see you wave panties around... Cue conflict!

Let's face it: Thalassa is not a great mom. Especially at the end of AJ she knows they're her kids and she's keeping her mouth shut. Apollo never knew his mother and as far as we know has lived comfortably, but Phoenix indicates that Trucy is hurt deep down. If Thalassa shows up, tells Apollo and Trucy the truth, and they're perfectly fine with it, I'll be very disappointed in the writers.
ImageImage

I'm the one who's supposed to say that!

... Better yet, let's kill Trucy, bring back Maya, and have a bit of both, what with all of this channeling, since they can't coexist. :gregory:

Dying is a great way to traumatize someone...
Avast! It's Pirate/Matey Day!

Gettin' Old!

Mike Christiansen wrote:
... Better yet, lets kill Maya

Fix'd

But you see Croik the way you put it you make it look like it'd be a lot of stress on the family if Thalassa did come back. But you also point out how Thalassa chose to stay out of their lives making her a bad mother. Don't you think it's possible Thalassa anticipated that things might be a little confusing for poor Trucy and even Apollo. So in her defence maybe she opted out of being a mother until a better time.

However thats all just random bickering on Thalassa's defence.

But yes...the conflict and confusion that could be brought about by Thalassa's attempted reintroduction into a motherly role for them might serve to affect Trucy. Just not to the level of sadness I think PSkye would want I can imagine Trucy being more shocked and confused than maddened and saddened. Apollo on the other hand could get pretty angry about it.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Hero of the Court

I agree that Trucy shouldn't be traumathized for the sake of drama, I think it would be better to use her "hidden side" what was already mentioned.
I already had som kinda idea about that, what wpould actualy would make sense with some things in the game if you would ask me.
It would answer, WHY trucy does work, so Phönix and she can live. Maybe, when she was in her early teens, she may discovered somehow HOW Phönix lost his badge, and she startet to feel guilty about that (afterall, it was *kinda* her fault, even when she didn't know that, after all she was a little child), so she startet working and all.

The writers could may use that, and give her some kind of "I don't want to be protected by someone/ I don't want to be spoiled by someone"-Persona somehow, what could be used for some dramatic-moments everyone seems to want.

For Example:
The actual Defendant / The real Killer / Some new person/ I don't know goes crazy during the Trial or after it and shows a gun.
He or she than wants to shot at Trucy, but Apollo protect her (just for the sake of it: No, wouldn't be killed by the shot >>; Just getting baldy hurt in the shoulder or something like that).
That would may makes the bond between the two stronger, and, Trucy would also be shown sad again for some time, 'cause, again, someone was hurt because of her (with Phönix beeing the first because he lost his badge), but wouldn't be destroyed as a character and be reduced to a total emo till the end of Apollo's GS-Run.

nuuuuu, stoooooop

Herr Blondie wrote:
But you see Croik the way you put it you make it look like it'd be a lot of stress on the family if Thalassa did come back. But you also point out how Thalassa chose to stay out of their lives making her a bad mother. Don't you think it's possible Thalassa anticipated that things might be a little confusing for poor Trucy and even Apollo. So in her defence maybe she opted out of being a mother until a better time.

But is there a "better time"? The longer she waits, the harder it'll be when she finally decides to tell them the truth, especially now that Apollo and Trucy know her. How could she face them in GS5 and say, "I knew last year, but I had a tour to finish, so....." ? Better to tell them the truth now so they can deal and move past it than make it worse by waiting.

(At the very least she ought to be paying child support for Trucy!)

I dunno about PSkye but I don't want to see her "scarred for life" - I'd just like to see her have a natural and serious response to something troubling. I'd like her to grow as a person without losing her positive characteristics. Give her the "oomph" I felt Maya lacked.
ImageImage

~The Phantom Racer~

Croik wrote:
Herr Blondie wrote:

But is there a "better time"? The longer she waits, the harder it'll be when she finally decides to tell them the truth, especially now that Apollo and Trucy know her. How could she face them in GS5 and say, "I knew last year, but I had a tour to finish, so....." ? Better to tell them the truth now so they can deal and move past it than make it worse by waiting.

I dunno about PSkye but I don't want to see her "scarred for life" - I'd just like to see her have a natural and serious response to something troubling. I'd like her to grow as a person without losing her positive characteristics. Give her the "oomph" I felt Maya lacked.

I think Thalassa would get close to Trucy and Apollo first as Lamiroir. Then she would admit to being their mother.

Gettin' Old!

Croik wrote:
Herr Blondie wrote:

Thats a good point about the better time but it's probably hard for her too you understand. She suffered Amnesia and lost her children (at least one of them) because of it maybe she feels guilty for everything you've said so far and simply wanted to prolong it. Sure its a little selfish and cowardly but it's human for her to feel ashamed.

Besides maybe she is giving Phoenix a little support anyway though really as she was considered technically dead I guess the IRS or whatever it is aren't too fussed about the child support.

It's just hard to think of something really troubling but....maybe if something really bad did happen to Phoenix...like he's comatose or something and Trucy for one moment gets scared....that could work but I'd hate for anything fatal to happen to him.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Herr Blondie wrote:
Mike Christiansen wrote:

Fix'd

I don't see how killing Maya, who's not even a character anymore, will solve anything.

I just brought up a possibility to traumatize Trucy into revealing her sadder side, in response to the question raised in the title. Killing Maya won't do anything, since Trucy doesn't even seem to know her. Phoenix only mentions her once, when asked about the Magatama, and he doesn't even do so by name.

Besides, it's just not the same...

私のホバークラフトは鰻でいっぱいです

Now that I think about it, ever since Thalassa left her, Trucy had only be surrounded by male figures. Grandpa Magnifi, Uncle Valant, Zak, Phoenix, Apollo. I think she even mentioned that the owner of the Wonder Bar was a man. And most of her audience members seem to be male (I mean hello, 15 year old girl pulling stuff out of her panties?) and I bet a lot of Phoenix's poker buddies were male too. It would be difficult for Trucy to even begin to bond with Thalassa.

Croik wrote:
Imagine if Thalassa offered her the chance to live with her instead of Phoenix: traveling the world, maybe even performing alongside her mother, international fame, for once not having to worry about money (maybe even having a "brother", Machi, once he's out of...juvi or wherever he ended up). Compare that to staying with Phoenix, scraping by performing at a "Wonder Bar" were guys come just to see you wave panties around... Cue conflict!

That's actually a really cool idea. It would be a nice way for character developement, but like Herr Blondie said, it would make her more confused and conflicted rather than angry and sad.

Kamen Godot wrote:
The writers could may use that, and give her some kind of "I don't want to be protected by someone/ I don't want to be spoiled by someone"-Persona somehow

I'd actually like to see that persona come out of Trucy, especially since she's been with guys all her life, I could see her developing a character like that.

Herr Blondie wrote:
It's just hard to think of something really troubling but....maybe if something really bad did happen to Phoenix...like he's comatose or something and Trucy for one moment gets scared....that could work but I'd hate for anything fatal to happen to him.

I'm worried that if something like that would happen Trucy would try to cheer Polly more than cheer herself up. It would need to be something that only she could worry about.

@ Mike, he said that because you said let's kill Trucy. He thought that you probably meant that you hated Trucy.

Gettin' Old!

Mike Christiansen wrote:
Herr Blondie wrote:
Mike Christiansen wrote:

Fix'd

I don't see how killing Maya, who's not even a character anymore, will solve anything.

I just brought up a possibility to traumatize Trucy into revealing her sadder side, in response to the question raised in the title. Killing Maya won't do anything, since Trucy doesn't even seem to know her. Phoenix only mentions her once, when asked about the Magatama, and he doesn't even do so by name.

Besides, it's just not the same...

Yes well in future don't post stupid things, you requested her dead in a topic about how people want to see her saddened. Someone can't be saddened if they are dead. And don't bring Maya into this thread, this ain't anything about her this ain't a Trucy VS Maya moment so avoid that and I'll avoid fixing your posts for you :keiko:

But in reply to Femme Fatale (What was wrong with Sara?) I don't know about that....you can't say that Apollo is more connected to Phoenix than his own daughter. Trucy and Phoenix have been living co-dependantly off each other as while he may seem like a bum he does do a lot of work since he works in at least 2 bars just to finance him and his daughter. I can see her getting pretty sad if something were to happen to him.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

私のホバークラフトは鰻でいっぱいです

Herr Blondie wrote:
But in reply to Femme Fatale (What was wrong with Sara?) I don't know about that....you can't say that Apollo is more connected to Phoenix than his own daughter. Trucy and Phoenix have been living co-dependantly off each other as while he may seem like a bum he does do a lot of work since he works in at least 2 bars just to finance him and his daughter. I can see her getting pretty sad if something were to happen to him.

Oh, I just changed it so that this creepy guy wouldn't find a way to stalk me on here too. You can still call me Sara though. It's easier to write.

I didn't mean that Apollo's more attached, but Apollo shows his emotions more, while Trucy would try to keep hers locked up not to worry Apollo. If Trucy saw that Apollo was worried, she'd try to convince him that it was no big deal (like how she was saying how Phoenix being hit by a car in 4-2 was nothing) while trying to hide her worries and fears inside herself.

Gettin' Old!

Femme Fatale wrote:
Herr Blondie wrote:

Oh, I just changed it so that this creepy guy wouldn't find a way to stalk me on here too. You can still call me Sara though. It's easier to write.

I didn't mean that Apollo's more attached, but Apollo shows his emotions more, while Trucy would try to keep hers locked up not to worry Apollo. If Trucy saw that Apollo was worried, she'd try to convince him that it was no big deal (like how she was saying how Phoenix being hit by a car in 4-2 was nothing) while trying to hide her worries and fears inside herself.

To be fair Sara that time, Trucy KNEW Nick was alright before Apollo. If something was SERIOUSLY wrong with Nick I think Trucy would be pretty strongly affected and Apollo seeing how down she was would try and comfort her.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

nuuuuu, stoooooop

Herr Blondie wrote:
Thats a good point about the better time but it's probably hard for her too you understand. She suffered Amnesia and lost her children (at least one of them) because of it maybe she feels guilty for everything you've said so far and simply wanted to prolong it. Sure its a little selfish and cowardly but it's human for her to feel ashamed.

Human, sure. But like you said, still selfish and cowardly. We already know she ditched Apollo somewhere as soon as her irst husband was gone, and now years later she finds him again and her first thought is "I better not say anything because it would be awkward for ME to face him." Not to mention she's been acting as Machi's mother all this time. If he gets out of "prison" and she continues to be a mother to him and not her actual kids...

Well, I think that's enough to make any kid mad. A couple people have said they can't imagine Trucy honestly mad, but I think that's part of the problem--she's a teenaged girl, not a brick wall. She *should* be capable of being mad, or conflicted, or upset if the situation calls for it (and not just by traumatizing her with dead Phoenix or a kidnapping or something).
ImageImage

[quote="Herr Blondie]
Yes well in future don't post stupid things, you requested her dead in a topic about how people want to see her saddened. Someone can't be saddened if they are dead. And don't bring Maya into this thread, this ain't anything about her this ain't a Trucy VS Maya moment so avoid that and I'll avoid fixing your posts for you :keiko:
[/quote]
It doesn't even have to be Maya. It can be Pearls or Iris, the former of which would be nice to have an official older sprite.

Gettin' Old!

Mike Christiansen wrote:
It doesn't even have to be Maya. It can be Pearls or Iris, the former of which would be nice to have an official older sprite.

And once again, we're not here to talk about their inclusion in the game.

Now...

Quote:
Human, sure. But like you said, still selfish and cowardly. We already know she ditched Apollo somewhere as soon as her irst husband was gone, and now years later she finds him again and her first thought is "I better not say anything because it would be awkward for ME to face him." Not to mention she's been acting as Machi's mother all this time. If he gets out of "prison" and she continues to be a mother to him and not her actual kids...

Well, I think that's enough to make any kid mad. A couple people have said they can't imagine Trucy honestly mad, but I think that's part of the problem--she's a teenaged girl, not a brick wall. She *should* be capable of being mad, or conflicted, or upset if the situation calls for it (and not just by traumatizing her with dead Phoenix or a kidnapping or something).

Ugh we can't be so cruel to Thalasaa we don't know for sure the circumstances of his abandonment or anything about his father, maybe he took him away not wanting his son to be part of Troupe Gramayre's 'kooky' lifestyle. Though I don't think we'll see Machi again I'm sure she'll have a little more courtesy than that.

And I'm betting she could be mad too, I can see her whacking folk with that cane in much the same manner as Pearls slapping people. Though I can't quite think of the circumstances for her to get so mad...unless maybe Ema REALLY impedes their investigation. But we can at least assume she has a high tolerence for anger after all....she forgave the guy who stole her panties and (I think) was even a little flattered that he longed for them so.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

nuuuuu, stoooooop

Maybe it's cruel but the evidence is against her. Though maybe she annoys me right now because until we know the circumstances, it sounds an awful lot like what Misty did to her kids (which irked me in T&T because no one got the chance to call her on it). The anime idea of parents leaving their loved ones in the dark because "it's not the right time" or they're "too ashamed to face them" is just plain ridiculous, and I would hate to see them pull it again in future games.

In any case I think it's a great setup for future conflict, and I'd love to see the writers take advantage of it this time around.
ImageImage
Page 1 of 2 [ 56 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Courthouse Steps