Board index » Phoenix Wright » Courthouse Steps

Page 1 of 2[ 46 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Possible future villains?Topic%20Title

A topic which has come up quite a few times in other threads here,what kind of characters would you like to see as villains in the next game?

After GK2 and DD,its going to be hard to find a villain which will surprise people,so I was thinking that they may make a subversion,like the most suspicious character will be the actual villain? Or maybe they could go for other kind of twists...GK2 for example had some nice one besides the identity of the villain.

Or they could go full M.night Shyamalan and have the villain be the main character.I dunno.
Signature loading, please wait...
Re: Possible future villains?Topic%20Title

cesar26100 wrote:
like the most suspicious character will be the actual villain?

While these twists are usually surprising, I find them incredibly unsatisfying

"No way X can be a villain! He's too much of an asshole!"
*X is revealed as the villain*
"..."

I think cases generally need larger casts at this point, though. I don't want them to get too bloated, but in Cases 2 and 3 of DD, every witness except for one person (the killer) appears on the stand for the first trial day

Spoiler: DLC
Subverted kind of nicely here because I thought Marlon couldn't be the killer since we already cross-examined him

Gettin' Old!

I prefer villains who seem pretty harmless at first because it allows for awesome transformation sequences to convert innocence into something monstrous. Often find these reveals are the most surprising too.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Yeah,but that is getting a bit overused in AA,since that's what we got in JFA,T&T (to an extent),AAI,AAI2 and DD.

[Whip the cream!]

Hm... Someone who gives an air of "you can trust me", someone who seems friendly, honest, genuine. A person you just feel immense trust for, someone that doesn't make you uncomfortable, and not a person with this innocent air, just a... seemingly stable person.

...although, that might be a bit Kristophy. Hm. But, well, we knew that he was one from the first case, but for a future one... Someone you've met several time during the game... For a final villain. Someone you're quite close to. Hmf. I'm just jabbering a bit, but, hm, I would like that.
Gimme a "P"! Gimme an "I"! Give me a "P" and an "E"! What's that spell?! Pipe!

Spoiler: GK2 and DD
Something similar to what was done with Simo Keyes? For me he was someone who just slips your mind,there's no reason to think of him as a suspect.Fullbright was like that but people I think could have suspected him for having a more defined "role" in the game's plot.

[Whip the cream!]

Spoiler: DD and GK2
Well, yes, I didn't even think of that since I was a bit stuck in my own thoughts. Although, I never met the GK2-villain, so my thoughts didn't even go there. I already spoiled myself, though, so I knew it was that person. I'd think it would be really interesting if the true Fulbright was the villain, instead of an impostr. That would have creeped me out, even if one could say that he'd be a tad bit more suspicious due to the reason you mentioned.

Gimme a "P"! Gimme an "I"! Give me a "P" and an "E"! What's that spell?! Pipe!

Racing through the sky like a Missile

Honestly, I'd like to see another straight-up villain type of character for once. Someone you know you'll hate as soon as you meet him/her. The problem would be trying to prove this person guilty. Yes, we've had such cases where the villain is revealed before the case begins, so I'd prefer that this character isn't in one of those.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

Art Person

I do love the idea of it being the least likely (Like an assistant). That was kinda done with GK2's and DD's antagonist though, and it was a shock when I first found out. I also like the idea of the one you think someone's the killer and all evidence points to them, but then they get killed. It may be signing the real killer's death wish, but it still confuses everyone as to who really was the killer.

I really liked Gant as a villain. He came across as helpful and jolly, but rubbed the wrong way, he was a completely different person.

They could always go the older Kindaichi Case Files route and have all the killers commit suicide once caught? too morbid for AA :basil:

Um Manfred Von Karma anyone? Just look at that creepy smile of his.

Winter Flag Trademark

Psykofreac wrote:
Um Manfred Von Karma anyone? Just look at that creepy smile of his.

Dude, it's impossible to see him return since he died somewhere at 1-5 to 3-5. Or maybe he's still alive? But he would be so old, that he may not be able to act.

Or shouldn't he have got the Death Penalty for being the real culprit of DL-6?

This account is dead. Link to my DeviantART.

Nah sorry, what I meant was in response to what everyone else was saying. You know, the bit about the villain being someone suspicious from the beginning and not just a seemingly nice guy who goes through a transformation.

You know, a Mario game!

I'd like for a case in which the killer turns out to be a character from a previous game that we finally find out the true nature of, in a similar way to Penelope from Sly Cooper. For example, we could have a murder at Global Studios, where the killer turns out to be Penny Nichols! Hey, it would make her character more interesting and less of a cardboard cut out!
My let's Play channel! Shameless plug!
Current Project: Sly Cooper & The Thievius Racoonus
My Twitter Account

Too many thoughts and nothing to do~

I like your idea and I can definitely see how that might be an interesting twist, but most games nowadays are produced (AA franchise included) with the ideology that every game could be someone's first game in the series. (Which is why many modern games are said to 'hand-hold' the player.) It would come as a shock to returning fans, but to people who haven't played the original trilogy and have only played AJ or DD, it would just seem absolutely out of the blue.
Unless, of course, there's some way to make that work.
Thoughts?
"I solemnly swear that I am up to no good if I ever use Comic Sans, Arial, Times New Roman, Brush Script, Papyrus, Curlz, Ravie, et cetera."
Friends don't let friends use bad fonts.
Unironically, anyways.

For someone who hasn't played the first games, it would be just a standard murderer like any other. I don't think it's going to happen, but that wouldn't be a problem.

Objection!

I know this would be kinda weird, but I wonder what it would be like if the person you are playing as ends ups accidentally being involved in a murder or crime.

Like, what would happen to the main protagonist?

I know this is a little far fetched, but I thought I'd give it a try to see what others think.
Huh!? Hey! You can't just go saying "pal" like that! That's MY endearing character trait!- Dick Gumshoe

If they're not guilty of anything, I don't think it would make much difference. If they are, they'd probably just confess as the protagonists in all the games side strongly with truth and it's a major moral of the series.

If they add another playable character, they could make them the Final Boss. It probably would feel like fighting Red in Pokemon Gold and Silver.

There is at least one fangame with the playable character as the villain,but that was an Original Character in an one-off courtroom only trial...I'm not sure how it could work in a normal AA game.

Hello! Hello! *squawk*

The difficulty with surprising people is that we've seen a lot of different people turn out to be villains, and recurring characters don't end up being the main villain. So if the game features a new detective, or assistant or any other new character who keeps reappearing, people suspect they may be the main villain.

At the same time, when a character is clearly antagonistic from the start, people expect some kind of twist where they end up being a sympathetic character after all.

So a couple of ideas:
-There hasn't been an assistant who's turned out to be the main villain yet.
-Introduce a new reoccuring character with the intention to have them be the villain of a future game, with little to no hints about them in their debut game.
-Have an "un-reveal" where the character who initially seems like the main villain, really is the main villain.
-Rather than have the new antagonistic character turn out to be the main villain, have them turn out to be a villain, but not the main villain, with somebody else, either appearing throughout the game or just introduced in the final case, being the main villain.

Polly wrote:
Rather than have the new antagonistic character turn out to be the main villain, have them turn out to be a villain, but not the main villain, with somebody else, either appearing throughout the game or just introduced in the final case, being the main villain.

head explodes

I'd like a villain that's kind of... on friendly terms with the protagonist. Not even a facade. Simply someone that the protagonist knows killing someone else.

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

Just don't ever put me in a patronizing scenario such as 5-3 again. The villain is the obvious asshole and the characters without any hint of subtlety play whodunit on the obviously false suspects several times.

I think in general there needs to be more cases where the villain doesn't stand out by being really intrusive or pompous. In GK2-2 the culprit was extremely obvious because of the characterization, same for GK2-4 and 5-3.

I have a good hunch they won't spoil more than one villain directly in AA6 though. I'd really like to see the recipe for an Ace Attorney villain be turned on its head somehow, so not only is it surprising, but it's also an atypical kind of character who has one it.

I also thought of a case idea the other day: What if the victim died of suicide, but due to her circumstances of animosity between her associates someone tries to make it look like a murder and pins it on the defendant, making it a trial. Then you'd be put in an unusual situation because you'll be looking for the scapegoat to blame, until you realize there isn't anyone and the "culprit" can not be charged of a very serious crime. Instead the satisfaction in the case comes from learning the tragic backstory leading up to the suicide. There are logistics I can't think through such as how the "culprit" tampers with the crime-scene to create a fake murder without the investigators figuring out via autopsy or tests, but dunno.
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney

Racing through the sky like a Missile

^ Not to be "that guy", but it sounds like Turnabout Succession. Suicidal victim, check. Animosity b/w fellow disciples, debatable, but at least prevalent toward victim, so check. Looking for a scapegoat, check. Attorney loses badge but rigs trial several years later to catch culprit in his framing, check.

To be fair, at least in your case, it'd be one continuous case that isn't split up into two and doesn't have to resort to time-traveling holographic systems not expected to be admissible in a court of law.

Thinking about it, what kind of murder mystery has this series not tackled yet? I believe there is something still, but nothing is coming to mind at the moment.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

The judge... No one ever suspects the judge.. :udgey:

ASCEND

Maybe not THE Judge, but having a Judge be the killer in a trial they run would be interesting. Especially because you would have to avoid them canceling the trial with a Guilty verdict if you start to suspect them.

Bonus points if the victim is beaten to death with a gavel.
Vesti and Lauren's Interdimensional Investigations
This CYOA follows Vesti Gates and Lauren Tehra, two detectives who search for the truth, whether in their own dimension or otherwise.

Planetbox wrote:
Maybe not THE Judge, but having a Judge be the killer in a trial they run would be interesting. Especially because you would have to avoid them canceling the trial with a Guilty verdict if you start to suspect them.

Bonus points if the victim is beaten to death with a gavel.

It would be weird if the murder weapon was a gavel. But I quess there's been weirder things to use as a murder weapon.

Red string of fate tied me to manilla

Good idea. We've had evil prosecutors and defence attorneys but have we had evil judges? Nope.

Hello! Hello! *squawk*

A villain judge would be interesting. Only question would be how to make a different judge not suspicious right from the start. Maybe have Phoenix and Apollo each taking cases at the same time, with each judge presiding over one? Or have a different judge for each case of that game?

You know, a Mario game!

I came up with a crazy idea based on a dream I had the other night. A prosecutor named Felix Night, a sort of bizarro version of Phoenix in every conceivable way. Even his backstory is the opposite of Phoenix's. He was a teenager when a friend of his that was previously studying to be a Prosecutor got inspired by seeing news of Phoenix's exploits and changed his mind, deciding to become a defense attorney instead. Felix, who has an utter hatred of both criminals and the people who defend them, was infuriated by this and decided to become a prosecutor in order to destroy Phoenix Wright in court and show his former friend who is truly superior. Unlike Phoenix, he plans out everything in advance, analysing the situation for every possible outcome and planning accordingly. At first, he's planned out everything that Phoenix would try to do, and arranged a counter for every single argument that he could forsee. Eventually, Phoenix manages to find something that Felix could not possibly forsee, and unlike Phoenix, Felix is absolutely terrible at improvising, and proceeds to flip out that there was something that his analytical mind didn't think of.
My let's Play channel! Shameless plug!
Current Project: Sly Cooper & The Thievius Racoonus
My Twitter Account

eyyyy

The best villain I've seen in the AA series so far is Dahlia and Kristoph in my opinion, so maybe someone like them? Or maybe not since we don't want a good villainous personality to become a trope. Maybe a villain who is kindhearted to the public and donates to charity, but completely turns tables near the end of the case/game?
Spoiler:
though there is someone like that in DGS though...
So I don't really know, I'll just see what the team can come up with. :ron:

um...hi your honour?

Cosmikun wrote:
Spoiler:
though there is someone like that in DGS though...
:

Spoiler:
yeah i know who you're talking about...Cosney Megundal...ironically i consider him the best ace attorney villain, but he pulls a Matt Engarde on you, i mean Matt had a facade which portrayed him as an airhead who was ultimatley harmless you wouldn't expect him to kick puppies into furnaces but rather help kittens out from trees....well that was until it as revealed he was a psychopathic evil mc evil and that was a pretty insane twist. Cosmey has this but you don't know he was a villain right of the bat...not even at the end of the case....but he makes it really suspiciouse he has commited the crime, we are only confirmed by this in case 5 and he was the big bad of the game despite dying after case 3 making his evil deeds stretch beyond his death like Dahlia...but spirit meduims aren't around in this game so there is no way to bring him to justice in court...pysically....oh shit i've gone on a tangent....um...better go before the ban hammer hits me.

Last edited by HeroMan66475 on Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

Please spoiler-tag that...

um...hi your honour?

oh sorry...i thought i did but t didn't seem to register...i'll fix that.

Happy Maria

Spoiler: DGS
Yes,Cosney is a great villain. My favourite part is how he even gets away despite being guilty in the end. Plus you're not even sure of said guiltiness at that point. Just all around amazing

Southern Corn wrote:
Yes,Cosney is a great villain. My favourite part is how he even gets away despite being guilty in the end. Plus you're not even sure of said guiltiness at that point. Just all around amazing

Yeah, he is basically like Redd White but better...of course I still hate him, but that's what you're supposed to feel about him.

um...hi your honour?

Cesar Zero wrote:
Southern Corn wrote:

Yeah, he is basically like Redd White but better...of course I still hate him, but that's what you're supposed to feel about him.

Cosney or Redd White?

Spoiler:
Cosney...I was saying I hate him despite of/because he is a good character.

Happy Maria

Anyway the topic. I myself think they could go for having the quirky comic relief witness as the killer of the case. The guy who seems too dumb to kill someone,but is the actual mastermind of the case. Not like GK2 though,more of a filler case villain,which will definitely catch people off guard.

Last edited by Southern Corn on Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

um...hi your honour?

Southern Corn wrote:
Anyway the topic. I myself think they could go for having the quirky comic relief witness as the killer of the case. The guy who seems too dumb to kill someone,but is the actual mastermind of the case. Not like GK2 though,more of a filled case villain,which will definitely catch peopl off guard.

you mean FILLER case?
Also that would be a pretty cool twist.
Page 1 of 2 [ 46 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Courthouse Steps