Board index » Present Evidence » Games

Page 1 of 1[ 13 posts ]

[PYWright] Colton Owen: Ace AttorneyTopic%20Title

Art Person

An Ace Attorney Fangame by SuperAj3

Hi everyone, I'm beginning the very long overdue implementation of my fan game script I wrote back in 2015.
Just making this thread to keep tabs on this project and also share its progress. At this stage it is by no means in a playable state.

At the moment I'm currently making all the sprites, and some music, and hope to get something playable out there for people to test soon.

**Please note, unless explicitly mentioned here or elsewhere, assets shared here aren't for public use.**
Stella's sprite set and the Trilogy textbox update, however, are!

Currently I'm starting my work with the game's second case, as I learn the ropes of PYWright. Please see below for a preview of what I have so far:

Spoiler: Case 1: Workout, The Turnabout

Currently in planning stages.

Synopsis:
Death by Jazzercise? It's more likely than you'd think!

Early planning of the opening:

Cast:
ImageImage
(Red suit guy is placeholder from 5 years ago LMAO He will be remade)
Spoiler: Case 2: Turnabout Occult

Progress report: Investigation day 1 is complete! currently adding recommendations from feedback. Trial Day 1 will start being made soon.
Again, sprites are still being made, so the case is using placeholders until sprite sets are completed.

Synopsis:
A group of uni students attend a meeting at an Occult Club on campus, when the unthinkable strikes. The devil himself claims a victim! ...Or was it actually the devil?

Preview:
ImageImage

This case will introduce a variation on the cross examination procedure used in trials:
In standard IRL cases, the prosecution questions witnesses first in "Examination in Chief" with the defense following with their Cross Examination.
This will work slightly differently in my case, but in essence the prosecutor has a little more power under their belt than usual.

Cast:
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Spoiler: Cases 3 & 4: TBA
Case 3 will centre around a flashback focusing on the main character's sister, Wendy, surrounding a financial fraud case. I want to make a non-murder premise interesting, so I hope this plays out well! (Tentative title: No Money, No Turnabout)

Case 4 will draw plot points recurring across the previous cases into its conclusion. Big twists are planned! I'll share more of this case's premise after Case 3 has released (as it spoils parts of Cases 1-3).

I do have an idea for a "Special Episode" focusing on the events following Case 4 and would centre around an awards ceremony. IDK if this will ever be created, but the base idea for it has been written and saved somewhere on my computer XD

Spoiler: Special thanks
Thanks to BirbIsTheWord, risefromtheashes and totally lost from the Case Makers discord and DarthWiader for helping me with learning PYWright.
Thanks also to Ropfa for your PYWright tutorial!
Thanks to Spoon of Destiny for the cross examination themes!
Thanks to Starora from AAO, and the AAO evidence thread for custom evidence being used in this!
Thanks to SpeckledMoose for the music!

Last edited by SuperAj3 on Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:08 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Re: [PYWright] Colton Owen: Ace AttorneyTopic%20Title

You best rethink that evidence, compadre

Oooh awesome, I just beat Case 3 of Trials after Justice and was sad I had nothing else to look forward to. And then this post happens. I'm gonna be keeping a close eye on this project, please please be sure to stick to it to the end. I can't live with another unfinished title like the one I just beat :sob:

Art Person

Windego wrote:
Oooh awesome, I just beat Case 3 of Trials after Justice and was sad I had nothing else to look forward to. And then this post happens. I'm gonna be keeping a close eye on this project, please please be sure to stick to it to the end. I can't live with another unfinished title like the one I just beat :sob:

Aww thanks!
This has been an on and off project for a while, and I'm hoping to actually stick to it this time!
I'll give my next update when investigation Day 1 of the case I'm currently working on is in a playable state (Most likely still using some placeholder sprites and music).

Art Person

Quick update to say I've finished Investigation Day 1.
If people would like to test, please let me know and I will share with you.

Art Person

Simon8950 has tested this and pointed out some things that need fixing. Thank you! I will incorporate them now!
Here's a list of known inconsistencies I just don't know how to code. If someone could assist, that'd be amazing!
Spoiler:
  • How to change the "Court Record" button in version 0.989- FIXED
  • How to change the "Present" button. IDK its code name, but one appears in 0.989 and the GBA one appears in 0.988
  • How to change the colour of the background that generates behind the text of evidence when you select something in the court record. It's just brown, but IDK if I need to code in a colour change or if it's just an image. -FIXED - Thanks Darth!
  • How to show the zoom in and zoom out animations for evidence- FIXED

Last edited by SuperAj3 on Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Quote:
Spoiler:
How to change the colour of the background that generates behind the text of evidence when you select something in the court record. It's just brown, but IDK if I need to code in a colour change or if it's just an image.

Spoiler: reply
The image you need to edit for that is "evidence_zoom" in your "general" folder. BTW, you can also change the colour of text for evidence description by modify "set ev_z_text_col" in "court_record_vars". It's also a good idea to save your court_record_vars as macro, otherwhise all changes tend sometimes to swicth back to default settings after loading saves. I could also help you with other problems related to code, if I had a copy of your game (*wink*wink*nudge*nudge* :sal:).

Quote:
Spoiler:
the "Our plan" talk option will play up. Please present the chalice first and then select that talk option.

Spoiler: reply
Setting a right flag may solve this, but I'd have to look into code to confirm it.

Art Person

Thanks Darth!
For that second one, I just misspelled a label in one point LOL

Also I'll try out what you suggested!

If you'd like I can PM you the game?

Quote:
If you'd like I can PM you the game?

Yes, please, I cannot wait to see it! :pearly:

Art Person

Thanks for the feedback of those who tested my trial so far!
I've reworked investigation day 1, and have written a plan for trial day 1.

I'm currently having artists block making all the new sprites I need... So that's gonna slow things down a little. Hopefully that won't last too long.

Art Person

I don't know if this is much of an update, but I've not progressed much since last update. I'm currently working on another case with an AAO member for an AAO competition, which has been my focus for the short term.

I've begun working on this again though, and decided, to ease myself back into to making all of this art, I should draw the box art for the characters. Hopefully that will be the next up (and you'll get to see my Prosecutor).

You best rethink that evidence, compadre

SuperAj3 wrote:
I don't know if this is much of an update, but I've not progressed much since last update. I'm currently working on another case with an AAO member for an AAO competition, which has been my focus for the short term.

I've begun working on this again though, and decided, to ease myself back into to making all of this art, I should draw the box art for the characters. Hopefully that will be the next up (and you'll get to see my Prosecutor).

Your sprites are really well made so I'm looking forward to seeing more! Let me know if you need someone to test out things when you make the trial portion!

Art Person

Windego wrote:
Your sprites are really well made so I'm looking forward to seeing more! Let me know if you need someone to test out things when you make the trial portion!

Thank you! I need time to make even more sprites before I can finish case 2. Once those are made, it should just be a matter of implementing all the text and scenes. Hopefully when my exams are over with I'll get back to this. Once it's done, I'm more than happy to share it with you for playtesting!

At the moment, I still need to make full sets for the defence, prosecution, co-counsel, and some other missing poses, so yeah there are heaps more sprites down the line. Thankfully once the courtroom sprites are made, they can be re-used in all my other cases, so it's necessary prep-work.

Art Person

Hi everyone, little update on how things are going. I've finished my studies for the year so have time to get back into case-making!

I'll be reworking my progress for case 2 - basically it's too short content wise, and I want to add a little more content to the opening investigation.

I've been actively working on some art assets in the mean time, and have recently shared in my sprite thread a new character appearing in a future case, named Rita Corda (named by risefromtheashes).
ImageImage
I look forward to you meeting her down the line!

I also don't think I've shared this game's main prosecutor, so here's a little information on her:
Her name's Priscilla Cutter (named by SpeckledMoose343) and is a former colleague of Wendy Owen, Colton's sister and mentor. While she might have a cold exterior, Priscilla genuinely cares about her work and has a strong ethical compass. At the moment, she has no gimmick planned yet, but I hope the senior-junior dynamic between her and Colton during the court segments demonstrates just how ruthless she can be when it comes to upholding the law. She's certainly not a pushover.
Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Board index » Present Evidence » Games